New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What Do These Do?

Burning Apparition wreathes the caster or a target in illusory flames--a will save is required to avoid being shaken when an enemy sees this. Furthermore, if the target of the spell strikes someone in melee, the person struck must disbelieve the illusion with a will save or take 1d6 nonlethal damage from the perceived flames.
    This damage counts towards concentration checks to avoid losing spells, etc.
    Edit: Bad interwebs!

The target also sheds like in all directions.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

The Hubriarut sounds like the name of an Inevitable..maybe something that punishes excessive pride, or corrupt royalty?
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Magnetic Pulse sounds like a spell I've seen somewhere... Ah. It's homebrew, I think. Let's see, it's a burst, can be directed inwards or outwards, allows a Reflex save to negate. Does damage if there are unattended iron/steel objects in the effect, disarms iron/steel weapons/objects, trips those in iron/steel armor, bull rushes creatures made mostly of metal. The disarm, trip, and rush aren't allowed saves, but are resisted normally.

Prismatic Vigor is trickier. Perhaps it provides 7 separate small bonuses to saves versus appropriate effects. You could split it into Lesser, normal, and Greater by making Lesser only affect the first of each save done, normal affect the next three/five saves done, and Greater lasting the entire duration.

Example: Lesser Prismatic Vigor has, let's say, a duration of: 24 hours (see text). It's cast on someone, granting them bonuses on saves versus the following things:
    Fire (Red)
    Acid (Orange)
    Electricity (Yellow)
    Poison (Green)
    Cold (Blue) [Not the usual Blue effect, a save bonus versus petrification may be useful instead of the cold save]
    Mind-affecting spells (Indigo)
    Disease (Violet) [Not the usual prismatic Violet effect, but saves versus plane shifting are comparatively rare]

Each time the target needs to make a save against one of the above effects, the spell provides its bonus and then stops providing that particular bonus. So if the target is exposed to two saves versus fire, he gets the bonus only on the first one, but his bonuses versus the other forms are still in place. Once he's rolled saves against all seven effects, the spell is considered ended. Casting the spell twice on the same target resets the duration and refreshes any spent bonuses.

I second the Hubriarut sounding like an inevitable. Now I'm picturing this adventure where the PCs have to protect a singing sensation who's become so prideful the gods take notice.

4. - Top - End - #34

The name 'Hubriarut' sounds like a portmanteau of 'hubris' and the '-arut' suffix of the inevitables' names. Therefore, an inevitable punishing pride, or people getting above themselves? That strongly implies that the inevitables believe in a strict caste society...

'Fisher of Men' doesn't sound sinister to me, but hey, I'm biased, I'm Christian.

Burning apparition is an illusion that moves about, spreading illusory flames and causing fire damage to creatures that fail to disbelieve it.

Staccato blast as written now sounds great. Perhaps have it knock creatures down (Str check opposed by caster level?) if they don't get out of the way, and also blast through barriers if it damages them enough? Effectively, it's a ray that continues past its first target if it expends enough damage/wins a Str check, and drops them.

The Heartwood Warrior is a ranger-oriented PrC with a real forest-protector bent, a close affinity for plants, maybe even slowly becoming Plant type?
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Arise is a spell that confers the mantle of holy warriorhood upon a willing subject, cleansing their soul and allowing them to take the 1st-level of paladin. They may not have broken the paladinic oath before (i.e. does not work on ex-paladins), but it does work on NG or LN characters who wish a jump-start into becoming a paladin.

Edit: I know that Arise has been done, but I liked the connotations of the name.

Edit 2: In a similar vein, Divine Transformation is an epic spell which allows the subject to ascend to DvR 0 (quasi-deity), provided that he has a divine sponsor and has completed a mighty task.
    Last edited by Caelestion; 2007-01-11 at 10:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    The name 'Hubriarut' sounds like a portmanteau of 'hubris' and the '-arut' suffix of the inevitables' names. Therefore, an inevitable punishing pride, or people getting above themselves? That strongly implies that the inevitables believe in a strict caste society...
    Hubris is an overbearing pride. We've covered that much, so bear with me. I've also heard in its definitions the phrase "godlike pride." If this is an inevitable, maybe it would be a hunter of those who attempt to rival or supplant the gods in some way or another. I don't think they would give one whit about mortal caste systems. They'd only intervene when a mortal tries to overstep the power and authority given them. There may well be a legitimate channel in the game world for mortals to assume the mantle of godhood, but I don't think a Hubriarut would hunt those who take that path. They'd only pursue those arrogant or foolish enough to strive to attain divinity in a forbidden manner, and who are powerful enough to pull it off .

Chances are, encountering one would be extremely rare even when compared to encounters with other inevitables. The time between situations that require their special talents would probably be measured best on a geologic scale
    Last edited by mabriss lethe; 2007-01-11 at 05:37 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Excellent suggestions, all. As you can see, I've created some stuff from your recommendations, but only for spells so far. Problem is, I need more than just a general idea for the more detailed listings. What does a PrC do, for instance, or what does a creature look like?

On a similar note, I've updated the top listing.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

The problem with ^^'s idea is that there's already an inevitablt charged with hunting down mortals wh try to become gods. I can't remember what it's called at the moment, though...

Found it in the Ecology of the Inevitable (Dragon 341). Varakhuts.
    Last edited by Lord Iames Osari; 2007-01-11 at 05:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

Hmmm. For the ray of corsucating energy, make it a higher-level version of the energy ray psionic power that blinds those in the area, kinda like a prismatic ray.

Burning Apparition should probably be a dual-schooled Illusion/Evocation (or maybe Conjuration/Evocation) that creates an image that can deal fire damage with a touch attack.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Soulsmiths can carve and reform the souls of themselves and others via touch. They weaken the souls of foes and empower the souls of allies. Mechanically, they can change a target's Fort and Will saves.
    Last edited by Orzel; 2007-01-11 at 06:39 PM.
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Soulsmith

Sometimes you just can't get the right materials. Lumber shortages, rust monsters in the mines, strikes at the foundries, bankruptcy of the local magic shop. Sometimes you just feel your potential is being constrained by the materials you do have access to. Sometimes, of course, you happen to be insane.

Sooner or later, you hear whispers of a free, bountiful resource that can be transformed brilliantly into any material you wish. A resource that has been used to create some of the most wonderous items the world has ever known. There is of course that tiny little matter of ethics, but for those who feel themselves beyond such petty concerns the methods of the soulsmith appeal very strongly indeed.

Hit Die: d4

The Soulsmith's class skills are Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Heal, Knowledge (all), Profession, Scry and Spellcraft.

Skill points at each level: 4 + Int modifier

Alignment: Any evil.

Requirements: Knowledge (the planes) 15 ranks, Spellcraft 15 ranks, Craft Wonderous Item or Craft Magic Arms and Armour, must have made peaceful contact with an evil outsider willing to teach you the art.

When a new soulsmith level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and known, if applicable) as if he had gained a level in whatever arcane or divine spellcasting class he had before taking the class. He does not gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If he had more than one arcane or divine caster class (or arcane and divine caster classes) he must decide to which class he adds a level of soulsmith to for the purpose of determining spells per day.

The Soulsmith
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Soul Smithy|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Smelt Soul|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Alloy of Souls|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Obtain Soul|+1 level of existing spellcasting class

5th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Imbue Soul|+1 level of existing spellcasting class [/table]

To use any of their abilities (other than Obtain Soul), a Soulsmith must have access to a forge with Hellfire burning in it, or a pool of Abyssal Bile. These can only be obtained directly from the Lower Planes.

Soul Smithy (Su): You learn the trick of turning souls (specifically those obtained by means of the Obtain Soul feat) into physical material for use in crafting. A soul in your possession can be forged into a magical item of gp value equal to or lesser than the xp the soul possesses (provided you have the appropriate Craft feat). This process takes eight hours of work, regardless of the value of the finished piece. You must still supply the xp component of the finished item. Needless to say, the soul is destroyed in the process.

Smelt Soul (Su): Continued experience with the soulsmithing techniques of the lower planes grants you an understanding of how to use hellfire (or abyssal bile) to burn away the impurities of a soul, leaving the distilled, valuable experiences and essence at your disposal. A soul in your possession can be used to supply the xp component of a magic item, provided the xp required is equal to or less than one tenth of the xp the soul possesses. You must still supply the material component, although this ability can be used in conjunction with Soul Smithy so that one soul supplies the material component and the other the xp component. The soul is destroyed during smelting.

Alloy of Souls (Su): As you advance in expertise in the craft of soulsmithy, you become able to alloy together multiple souls in the forging of items. The process is not perfect, however, as there is some loss of essence in the process. Composite souls possess as much xp as the total of the original souls' xp, multiplied by two thirds. At 3rd level, you may use multiple souls in the Soul Smithy ability, provided the total xp (after modification) matches the material requirement in gp. At 5th level, you may use multiple souls in the Smelt Soul ability, provided the total xp (after modification) divided by ten meets the xp requirement.

Obtain Soul (Su): As the demonic feat. A capable soulsmith needs to know how to obtain his own materials on occasion.

Imbue Soul (Su): A master soulsmith learns how to incorporate a spirit into an item he creates. When forging an item with the Soul Smithy ability he may opt to imbue it with intelligence as per an intelligent magic item by binding a fresh soul into the item as it is forged (this is a separate soul to the one used to create the item). The soul used must have xp equal to or less than the market price modifier in gp of the form of intelligence the soulsmith wishes to imbue (raising the xp requirement of the final item). The finished item has all the attributes of a normal intelligent item of its type (powers, abilities, communication, mental ability scores) except that its alignment is that of the soul used to create it and it has the memories of the soul used to create it.
    Last edited by Iituem; 2007-01-12 at 11:42 AM.
    Various Homebrew: Why not check it out? You're unlikely to be disappointed.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Considering the fact that you're crafting, I think 4 + Int modifier might be better for the Soulsmith.
    Work in progress.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    Arise
    Necromancy
    Level: Paladin 3, Cleric 5
    Components: V, S, M, XP
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Touch
    Target: Touched creature with less than 0 HP
    Duration: 1 min/level
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

The creature touched by the spellcaster immediately regains consciousness, stabilizes, and gains hit points equal to 1/2 their total maximum. These hit points disappear at the end of the duration, and the creature (regardless of their current status) returns to the same level of hit points they had prior to the casting of the spell.

Material component: Diamond dust worth at least 1000 gp
    XP Cost: 750 xp
    Seems like a version of Revenence that works on the dying rather than the dead.
    For every winner, there are dozens of losers. Odds are that you're one of them.

We are here for the sake of others.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Iames Osari View Post
    The problem with ^^'s idea is that there's already an inevitablt charged with hunting down mortals wh try to become gods. I can't remember what it's called at the moment, though...

Found it in the Ecology of the Inevitable (Dragon 341). Varakhuts.
    Ooh. Good point. I think I may have seen that one at some point or an other now that I noodle it. Though I thought it had a more specific charge of hunting those who tried to escape mortality, or was that yet another one that I don't really remember?

Just a question of semantics, yeah, I know...but I have a feeling that semantics can play a really fine role in dealing with Inevitables. godhood vs. immortality, you be the judge.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

Maruts, in the MM, are charged with hunting down those who cheat death. Varakhuts are charged with hunting down those who are trying to become gods. If you're just cheating death and not aiming for godhood, the maruts come after you. If you're trying to become a god, varakhuts come after you.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

...and possibly Maruts too.

17. - Top - End - #47

Xendalare is a lightweight green metal that is found in relatively shallow mines and has blue impurities generally in a swirling pattern. It is known for the ability to channel ki and for it's incredible malleability. It is rare, but for that one exceptional monk that didn't take VoP and has enough money to hire a very skilled blacksmith for a pair of gauntlets or greaves, this is the best metal ever discovered.
    Water, Earth, Fire, and Air: Benders of the Avatar world
    Monks and Rangers for a non-magical world
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL View Post
    Edition Wars and Nerd Rage destroyed Rome. Ceasar died because he was a crappy DM.
    Avatar By the amazing Mephibosheth

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

If you're going that way, don't limit it to gauntlets and greaves. Make it so that a weapon made of xandelare channels the monk's ki so that the weapon deals the monk's unarmed damage instead of its normal damage, and then you can add the ki focus ability as normal.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Spiritmaster

Those who are in tune with nature's grace sometime's see more then only the living, but can sense the spirit of the land as well. Those drawn in by those spirits gain their trust and imbue part of their power in their own being gaining control of many aspects of the world

Hit Die: d4

The Spiritmaster's class skills are Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Heal, Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (local)

Skill points at each level: 1 + Int modifier

Alignment: Any neutral

Requirements: Knowledge (nature) 10 ranks, Knowledge (local) 10 ranks, 10 levels in either ranger or druid

When a new Spiritmaster's level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and known, if applicable) as if he had gained a level in either ranger or druid depending what class he was before he chose this PrC. He does not gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. if he had both ranger and druid levels (5 minimum) he must decide to which class he adds a level of Spiritmaster to for the purpose of determining spells per day.

I don't know how to make a table, so if anyone is willing to make this in a table to I can copy/paste this in, I would be gratefull.

Special
    lvl 1 +0 base attack bonus +1 fort save +1 ref save +1 will save Contact Spirit
    lvl 2 +0 base attack bonus +1 fort save +1 ref save +1 will save Imbue Spirit
    lvl 3 +0 base attack bonus +2 fort save +2 ref save +2 will save
    lvl 4 +1 base attack bonus +2 fort save +2 ref save +2 will save Improved Contast Spirit
    lvl 5 +1 base attack bonus +3 fort save +3 ref save +3 will save
    lvl 6 +1 base attack bonus +3 fort save +3 ref save +3 will save Improved Imbue Spirit
    lvl 7 +2 base attack bonus +4 fort save +4 ref save +4 will save
    lvl 8 +2 base attack bonus +4 fort save +4 ref save +4 will save Greater Contact Spirit
    lvl 9 +2 base attack bonus +5 fort save +5 ref save +5 will save Greater Imbue Sprit
    lvl 10 +3 base attack bonus +5 fort save +5 ref save +5 will save Imprison Spirit

(each new level is also +1 spellcasting level on the chosen class (ie Druid or Ranger))

Contact Spirit (SU) The Spiritmaster can focus on the land and call forth the spirit(s) who wander there and the Spiritmaster can speak to them, at 4th level the spiritmaster gain's +4 diplomacy checks with the spirits which increases to +8 at lvl 8.

Imbue Spirit (SU) The Spiritmaster can ask a spirit to imbue part of it's being into a focus the Spiritmaster uses (any mundane object), to do this the Spiritmaster must convince the spirit to do so with a check of Diplomacy + Spiritmaster lvl + 1/2 Wisdom Modifier, the checks needed per spirit greatly differ, with weaker ones only being DC 15 to the most powerfull ones being DC 100. After this the Spiritmaster may call upon that spirit to aid him once per day, this changes to twice per day at lvl 6 and three times per day at lvl 9.

Imprison Spirit (SU) A spiritmaster can imprison a spirit into a weapon or armor, the effects on the weapon differ per spirit and only one such weapon or armor may exist per Spiritmaster, the process of doing requires 10 days and an imbued spirit.
    Last edited by Deus Mortus; 2007-01-12 at 03:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Banned

^^ you used soulsmith and spirit smith in the above post. But other then that sweetness

21. - Top - End - #51
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    On successfully striking an opponent, a ray of displacement moves a target between 5' and 50' in a random direction. Roll a d10 to determine distance and roll on the miss chart for grenadelike weapons to determine direction. This spell only moves targets horizontally; it cannot move them vertically. Furthermore, if the target of the spell would end up inside of an object due to this spell, it is shunted towards the nearest open space, taking 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage for each 5'.
    The first thing I thought of was a maze-like dungeon of a lot of very small rooms, and this spell. You're in another room now!

But that might be inconvenient to the point of annoyance.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzbaa View Post
    The first thing I thought of was a maze-like dungeon of a lot of very small rooms, and this spell. You're in another room now!

But that might be inconvenient to the point of annoyance.
    Earthbound Spell metamagic would make that terribly amusing (+1 spell level, cast the spell into a square and it triggers when someone steps on it).

Or hell, a teleport dungeon, with a lot of permanencied versions of this spell, and many many sealed rooms, each with three or four teleporter pads in it.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by XtheYeti View Post
    ^^ you used soulsmith and spirit smith in the above post. But other then that sweetness
    yeah copied that part of the other post to make sure I didn't forget anything xD

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Scathe could be a witty quip that humiliates and burns the enemy, good bard spell. Like a "Scathing" Retort or criticism.
    Attack of the most awesome Ceikatar!!!!!

My stocks:OOTS 40, HNJO 88, GOLD 5.

What do you get when you cross Star Wars, Star Trek, OD&D, and percentile rolls, and jumble it up in a big pot of surrealism? This game right here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Altharis' crown is beautiful in its simplicity, a symbol of understated elegance and a sign that this man is both aware of his power and his responsibilities; the sort of guy Spider-Man would like to have a drink with.

25. - Top - End - #55

Silver vines conjures, well, silvery vines, that grapple an opponent. It's a druid (and ranger?) spell aimed at combating werecreatures, against which their silvery nature has particularly strong effects (maybe just a bonus to grapple, maybe forcing them out of beast form if it succeeds on pinning them?)

And is that a Heartwood Warrior akin to my suggestion that I see?
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Elemental vermin: Insects and such with an elemental twist (or with an elemental or half-elemental type).

Because of their elemental origins, they are immune to critical hits. They also have damage immunities and vulnerabilities as the appropriate elemental

Ice Worm - 10% chance that a hit will slow the target
    Fire Spider
    Stone Beetle - Stability
    Airy Mosquitos
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Silver vines conjures, well, silvery vines, that grapple an opponent. It's a druid (and ranger?) spell aimed at combating werecreatures, against which their silvery nature has particularly strong effects (maybe just a bonus to grapple, maybe forcing them out of beast form if it succeeds on pinning them?)

And is that a Heartwood Warrior akin to my suggestion that I see?
    It is, but it needs some work.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Halfling in the Playground

• Durestral - A alloy that is reisstant to sundering
    • Aetherine - A paper like material that enhances spells written upon it
    • Xandelare - A crystalline substance that a) awakens psionic powers in non-psionists or b) supresses psionics within the area or c) drains PP of someone who consumes it
    Lucavan Pinscher - Essentially a fire-vampire, these creatures sap the warmth of victims, leaving them chilled to the point of death.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Heartwood Warrior strikes me as a warrior/rangerish class, focused on use of the quarterstaff (or, perhaps, use of wooden weapons fashioned from one specific kind of tree). Two-weapon fighting applies to double weapons, doesn't it?

Keyslip, hmm... I'd say verbal-component only spell, level 1, that grants the caster a +20 to his next Escape Artist check.

Elemental Vermin... hmm. Vermin which are elementals, or an elemental from the Vermin (sub-sub-sub-)plane? Oh, I see you already have a Cyclone Rat, so I can only presume this concept is the other.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aetherine could be a material that is used for armor. the armor made of this is enhanced by positive energy or sunlight. on the other side, Dark aetherine could be used for the same purposes, but is enhanced by negative energy or darkness.

idea stemmed from metroid prime 2 echoes
    Quote Originally Posted by knightsaline View Post
    Living Vengeful Gaze of God/Contingent True Resurrection: Kills you, kills itself, True rezzes itself, kills again, kills itself again, true rezzes itself again..........
    "On the other hand, maybe all of this could have been prevented if you had just managed to get laid once in a while. You can't tell me you would have been as tightly wound if you had been getting treasure type O once in a while"

Roxas avatar made by Adghar. The keyblades are Diamond dust and One Winged Angel