New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: [NEXIS] The Dancing Fox Inn IX: No Longer Symmetrical

Quote Originally Posted by Mee View Post
    Naku raises an eyebrow slightly at the beginning of this. A man with manners. What is this madness?

"Hmmm." Naku says at him, resting her chin on her hand, shifting her weight to one hip, and staring at him, deep in thought.

"Yeah. Yeah we can definitely do that." She says after a moment, nodding, her mind made up. "We don't have terrible many customers right now, but if you're willing to help wash dishes and maybe help Mist out cleaning rooms, we could make a deal. And don't worry about the tea. First one's free."
    Well, not free for those loaded with money, which the boy obviously was not.
    The barkeep's stare unnerves the young man slightly, but he endures as he awaits her response. Relief finds him when she approves his offer for labor in exchange for lodging. "I'll do whatever you need of me," he assures her after hearing her explanation. "Just say the word." At her last comment, he looks down at his cup of tea, glad that it wouldn't cost him anything but still feeling a bit guilty for taking it at no cost. At some point, though, he'll decide to make up for it in his work at the inn.

He soon remembers that he hasn't even offered up his name, and he will rectify this mistake shortly. "Oh, forgot to introduce myself," he will say apologetically. "My name's Leo. I'm kind of new here...to the Nexus, that is." Unsure of what custom of greeting would be appropriate in this place, he will wait for the barkeep to make the first move and follow her lead, if only to an extent to which he remains comfortable.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    The barkeep's stare unnerves the young man slightly, but he endures as he awaits her response. Relief finds him when she approves his offer for labor in exchange for lodging. "I'll do whatever you need of me," he assures her after hearing her explanation. "Just say the word." At her last comment, he looks down at his cup of tea, glad that it wouldn't cost him anything but still feeling a bit guilty for taking it at no cost. At some point, though, he'll decide to make up for it in his work at the inn.

He soon remembers that he hasn't even offered up his name, and he will rectify this mistake shortly. "Oh, forgot to introduce myself," he will say apologetically. "My name's Leo. I'm kind of new here...to the Nexus, that is." Unsure of what custom of greeting would be appropriate in this place, he will wait for the barkeep to make the first move and follow her lead, if only to an extent to which he remains comfortable.
    "And I'm Naku." Naku says, smiling at him. "It's nice to meet you." With that, she offers him a slight bow. Handshakes seemed to be normal here, but she was still used to home.

"Well, work can come later. Tell me about yourself. Who are you? What brought you here?"
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by FireFox
    I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

Shoutout to billtodamax for the The Nurse Detective Meekachu avatar.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, did I hear my name? That's me. Mist, nice to meetcha, Leo.
    says the fox from his spot a short distance away.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"And I'm Naku." Naku says, smiling at him. "It's nice to meet you." With that, she offers him a slight bow. Handshakes seemed to be normal here, but she was still used to home.
    Thankful that her response is familiar to him, Leo responds in kind with a bow of his own and responds, "Good to meet you, Naku."
    Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Leo suppresses a flinch as a fox(!!) nearby introduces himself as Mist, Naku's afore-mentioned colleague. "Pleasure to meet you, sir," he responds after inwardly ensuring his composure.
    "Well, work can come later. Tell me about yourself. Who are you? What brought you here?"
    "Well...it's kind of shameful," Leo begins after taking a sip of his tea; judging by his expression, he's obviously discomforted at the reminder of those circumstances. "To make a long story short, I got into a fight and lost - and by 'lost', I mean I got outright pounded...So the other guy must've thought it'd be funny to chuck me into a random portal, and I...wound up here somehow."
    Last edited by ImpSyndrome; 2013-12-15 at 01:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155

"Mhmm, hey Mist. Meet the new guy."

Thankful that her response is familiar to him, Leo responds in kind with a bow of his own and responds, "Good to meet you, Naku."

"Well...it's kind of shameful," Leo begins after taking a sip of his tea; judging by his expression, he's obviously discomforted at the reminder of those circumstances. "To make a long story short, I got into a fight and lost - and by 'lost', I mean I got outright pounded...So the other guy must've thought it'd be funny to chuck me into a random portal, and I...wound up here somehow."
    "Ow." Naku says, wincing in sympathy. "Yeah, I've been there a few times, and completely understand. You are more than welcome to work here for as long as you need to to get back on your feet here."
    Show

I didn't even know Naku, the bloodthirsty, hardened combat veteran, could get so adorable.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Ow." Naku says, wincing in sympathy. "Yeah, I've been there a few times, and completely understand. You are more than welcome to work here for as long as you need to to get back on your feet here."
    Leo looks almost stunned at Naku's words; he had hoped for a few days' worth of respite, a week at most if she was feeling generous, but this was an unprecedented offer. He hesitates a bit but eventually responds, "That's, ah...That's very...very gracious of you...I'll do anything I can to return the favor, that's a promise."

((Buh...This is way overdue for its simplicity. I apologize for the delay.))
    Last edited by ImpSyndrome; 2013-12-15 at 12:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

You don't need to be so formal about it. Stuff like that's usually not a big deal.
    Mist says. Although I believe right now he's still in full animal shape from the last scene. I don't know anymore.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

Speaking of foxes...
    Thalia Topaz (see sig) enters the inn and sits down at the bar.
    Something alcoholic. Surprise me.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

9. - Top - End - #159

Leo looks almost stunned at Naku's words; he had hoped for a few days' worth of respite, a week at most if she was feeling generous, but this was an unprecedented offer. He hesitates a bit but eventually responds, "That's, ah...That's very...very gracious of you...I'll do anything I can to return the favor, that's a promise."

((Buh...This is way overdue for its simplicity. I apologize for the delay.))
    ((Absolutely no worries. Delays happen. ^^))

"Well, just do your best, and I'll call it perfectly even." Naku says, a pleasant smile on her face.

You don't need to be so formal about it. Stuff like that's usually not a big deal.
    Mist says. Although I believe right now he's still in full animal shape from the last scene. I don't know anymore.
    "Mhmmm. Really, you don't need to be so formal. I mean, it's been forever since I've heard anything like it, and it's really nice to hear again, but you don't need to."

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Speaking of foxes...
    Thalia Topaz (see sig) enters the inn and sits down at the bar.
    Something alcoholic. Surprise me.
    Naku, after kneeling and pulling out a bottle of wine, pours Thalia a glass, and slides it across the bar to her.
    It's a nice, fruity wine.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Mhmmm. Really, you don't need to be so formal. I mean, it's been forever since I've heard anything like it, and it's really nice to hear again, but you don't need to."
    "Alright, fair enough," Leo agrees, though it will likely take him a short while to get used to it.
    ((Absolutely no worries. Delays happen. ^^))

"Well, just do your best, and I'll call it perfectly even." Naku says, a pleasant smile on her face.
    "You've got a deal," the young man replies. "So, where and when do I start?"

11. - Top - End - #161

The lobby of the Dancing Fox may suddenly be getting a little colder, with frost starting to settle on the front door. An icy fog creeps from underneath the door, and then shifts around somehow, as if looking for something.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist shivers and hops over to the bar and trots to the door, trying to find the source of the"draft."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Bugbear in the Playground

Thalia takes a sip, and looks pleased with it.
    Suddenly, pineapples cold!
    Thalia curls her fox tail around her torso.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2013-12-17 at 01:07 AM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

14. - Top - End - #164

The "draft" continues to move around, until some of it points toward Mist. "Are you called Leo? I'm here about the request on the Wall."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Mist turns his head towards the bar.
    Le-o! There's a sentient cloud here asking for you about a Wall request? he says nonchalantly.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Mist turns his head towards the bar.
    Le-o! There's a sentient cloud here asking for you about a Wall request? he says nonchalantly.
    Interestingly enough, Leo knows exactly what Mist is talking about, although he did not expect his contact to arrive quite so soon. Still, he hardly plans to turn it away after taking the trouble to meet with him. "Actually, could you give me a few minutes," Leo asks Naku apologetically. "I've got to discuss something with this spirit...It's pretty important."

So long as Naku agrees, Leo will thank Mist for relaying the message and approach the cloud of fog. "Thank you for coming here to meet with me," he will tell it, his tone changing back to one of respect and careful mannerisms. "I'm Leo Krilangi, the one who left that message on the Wall. I understand you have some questions about my motives...What would you like to know?"

17. - Top - End - #167

The cloud approaches Leo, seeming to look him over. "Excuse me a moment. It takes some concentration to communicate in this form," it says. Then the fog thicken somewhat and takes a distinct humanoid shape. Then Leo will be able to see the fog turn into a person of sorts. As the spirit changes, the lobby gets a little warmer.

The spirit's human form is male, and certainly quite attractive. Most of its skin is bare, revealing an athletic body. Its skin is pure white, and only covered by simple blue pants and a sleeveless white vest. Its face is striking, and its blue eyes are gazing at Leo. "I wish to know what you'd use my power for," it says.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rotting Baron View Post
    The cloud approaches Leo, seeming to look him over. "Excuse me a moment. It takes some concentration to communicate in this form," it says. Then the fog thicken somewhat and takes a distinct humanoid shape. Then Leo will be able to see the fog turn into a person of sorts. As the spirit changes, the lobby gets a little warmer.

The spirit's human form is male, and certainly quite attractive. Most of its skin is bare, revealing an athletic body. Its skin is pure white, and only covered by simple blue pants and a sleeveless white vest. Its face is striking, and its blue eyes are gazing at Leo. "I wish to know what you'd use my power for," it says.
    Leo is no stranger to spirits who change form to ease communication upon traditional media, but this particular individual has a more appealing form than others in his experience. Upon request, he tells the spirit, "I'm trying to find a way to return to my home world...and given the dangers I've already faced, I'm definitely going to need to defend myself along the way. Being a spiritualist, though, I don't have any powers or magics of my own; I can only borrow those capabilities from spirits in the world around me. That's where you come in: if we form a Pact, I can borrow a portion of your power and use it to protect myself...as long as we're in the same world, that is."

19. - Top - End - #169

"I see. I am a native of this world, so you will not need to worry until you find a way to your home." The spirits considers a few things for a short few moments. "Is there any benefit to me in forming this pact?"

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"I see. I am a native of this world, so you will not need to worry until you find a way to your home." The spirits considers a few things for a short few moments. "Is there any benefit to me in forming this pact?"
    "That's true, yeah," Leo responds, "but I'm pretty sure that the spirits of my own world will still honor the Pacts I've made with them after I get back there. Either way, I'll worry about that detail once I find a way back."

Leo heaves a sigh at the spirit's next request; it's never a simple matter to gain the approval of a spirit, especially in situations like this, in which he has so little to offer. "Normally, I could offer some of my own talents and abilities in the same way as you could to me, but in my current state, I only have my innate spirit senses...and I can't imagine those would be of much use to you. If I could help you in some other way, I might suggest that as an alternative, but I'm not sure what, if anything, you might want to ask of me."

21. - Top - End - #171

"Then you would have an outstanding debt towards me," the spirit says. "Rest assured, I will find some way to claim it."

Then it looks like it remembers something. Though the spirit is good at creating different forms that it feels are appealing to people, instant reactions and emotions don't appear quite as much. "I believe you also still had questions for me?"

22. - Top - End - #172
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Then you would have an outstanding debt towards me," the spirit says. "Rest assured, I will find some way to claim it."

Then it looks like it remembers something. Though the spirit is good at creating different forms that it feels are appealing to people, instant reactions and emotions don't appear quite as much. "I believe you also still had questions for me?"
    The spirit's proposition seems to unsettle Leo somewhat; he isn't terribly fond of the idea of holding a debt outstanding, mostly out of guilt but also out of fear for the repercussions of failing to repay it. "Well, I'd rather settle the account sooner than later," he admits, "but I don't have any other options...so I guess I'll have to endure it."

Once the spirit is prepared to answer his questions, Leo will begin by asking, "I guess my first question is...um, your name, actually. I never thought to ask, sorry." After that, "On the Wall, you mentioned that you're an ice spirit of significant power. What sorts of powers exactly can you command?"

23. - Top - End - #173

"I am called Vetur. I apologize for not telling you earlier." Vetur bows slightly upon saying his name. "I suppose my powers are typical amongst those like me. I can take control of the moisture in any object and freeze it, then manipulate it to my desire. I could freeze the an eenemy's weapon and break it without so much as touching it."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"I am called Vetur. I apologize for not telling you earlier." Vetur bows slightly upon saying his name. "I suppose my powers are typical amongst those like me. I can take control of the moisture in any object and freeze it, then manipulate it to my desire. I could freeze the an eenemy's weapon and break it without so much as touching it."
    Leo bows politely to Vetur, but he grins at Naku as he rights himself; it seems that the gesture isn't quite so unnecessary as she claimed earlier. His attention shortly returns to the ice spirit, and he listens to its explanation of its capabilities, which sound admittedly promising. "I'm sure I could find some use for that power," he tells it. "As for the matter of access...am I correct in assuming that you'd prefer to lend your aid upon request only?" The other, unspoken assumption Leo makes is that Vetur, cautions as he seems, will allow him to use only what small measure of its cryokinetic abilities it deems appropriate for each situation. This may be subject to change after the spiritualist makes good on his promise of repayment, but he knows better than to try and take advantage of its generosity.

25. - Top - End - #175

"You are correct. I would not simply give you my power to use as you see fit. The forces I control are not to be used without care," Vetur says. "I would prefer to be able to decide what you have access to."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"You are correct. I would not simply give you my power to use as you see fit. The forces I control are not to be used without care," Vetur says. "I would prefer to be able to decide what you have access to."
    "Alright, that's fair," Leo admits. "As long as we can communicate along the open exchange of spiritual energy in the Nexus, proximity shouldn't be an issue...If there are no other questions or concerns, I can instigate the Pact whenever you're ready."

27. - Top - End - #177

"How does the pact work?" Vetur says. "Is there some physical part to it?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"How does the pact work?" Vetur says. "Is there some physical part to it?"
    "No, it's not a physical bond by any means," explains Leo. "A Pact mainly defines the rights and restrictions of our agreement, similar to a written contract, but it also facilitates communication and interaction along the medium of spiritual energy."

29. - Top - End - #179

"Then unless you had further concerns, we may begin your Pact," Vetur says.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Then unless you had further concerns, we may begin your Pact," Vetur says.
    "Alright, I just need to focus a bit...One moment." What happens next may seem boring or confusing at most for others, but should Naku, Mist, or Thalia possess any spiritual sense at all, they will be able to witness the forging of the Pact as well, and it might prove interesting, if a bit too formal for the former's tastes.

Leo falls into a deep trance as his consciousness turns from his physical body to his spiritual essence. He radiates a soft aura not visible on a physical level, and as spiritual energy begins to flow between him and Vetur, his voice echoes on a channel beyond normal hearing. Let all the spirits of this universe observe the forging of this Pact between myself, the human called Leo Krilangi, and this, the spirit called Vetur. By the terms of this Pact shall I call upon Vetur in times of need to request its help, and by its consent shall I be made to inherit a degree of its ability. To preserve the balance of all things, I enlist your aid thus.

At this point, a small thread of spiritual energy harmlessly surrounds and permeates Vetur's form before extending to Leo, creating one-half of the link they will share. In exchange for this aid shall I be indebted to this spirit, and upon its request shall I endeavor to repay my debt in whichever manner is deemed most suitable. To settle the balance of my debts and accounts, I pledge my aid thus. Another string of energy encircles Leo and reaches out to the ice spirit, forming the second half of the bond. The two threads twist around one another and merge into one, radiating a soft, white glow; a few seconds later, the connection shimmers and fades, signaling the end of the ritualistic process.

Leo soon returns to consciousness on a physical level and says, "There we are, the Pact is complete. Your generosity is much appreciated, Vetur."

((Yikes, I went overboard on this one...I hope it proves entertaining enough to justify the delay.))