New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1494
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Warhammer and WH40K RPGs II: Burning Witches, Heretics, and Fate

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.co...=all+guardsmen

Have you guys seen this? It's both profoundly beautiful, and what inspired my group to get together.

Also how hard is it to use stuff from first edition dark heresy in second edition? Any tweaks that need to be done with weapons or talents and whatnot? I assume the lore converts readily?
    Last edited by Demon 997; 2014-11-28 at 03:59 AM.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Barbarian in the Playground

The lore is very different, Calixis has a different feel than Askellon. You'd need to definitely change a few things.

DH1 material is also, as far as rules, less polished and less "balanced", if that means anything. If your psyker player asks for DH1 powers, immediately say that they are pulled through a warp rift into Calixis sector and that they have to roll a new character.

Generally, you are best off converting Only War/Black Crusade stuff to DH2.
    GMs 3.5, cWoD, Rogue Trader, Monsterhearts, The Pool, and Fudge. Narrativist, wacky builder, and dancer.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm currently running a Dark Heresy 2E and an Only War game, and I can safely say that you really don't want to be messing about with the 1E stuff unless you want to do some heavy converting. That being said, the superior quantity of fluff for 1E certainly makes it a good place to put your campaign, with a few small modifications of course.
    Fantastic avatar by Akrim.elf.

4. - Top - End - #1174

Zombie

I haven't personally read much of the 2e stuff, but I really quite like the fluff from 1e. First exposures to a system being what they are.

I would like to use my 1e stuff before 2 becomes far more prevalent, but thats me -- I know a handful of people have an issue with 1e stuff as it is. I like that there arent as many splatbooks as, say, 3.5 also. I might only need four or five books here where with 3.5 I need a library of stuff.

Only war has been pretty cool so far, same with the little DH I played. I might think different after some bad combat rolls, but real fun so far.
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

Steam ID: blacklight101

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?
    At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

5. - Top - End - #1175

Zombie

Flamers, is it more of a 'situational use' thing or is it more of a 'bag it and tag it' deal?

I happen to like the idea of them, but im not sure its the greatest chioce overall. Maybe I shouldnt have a pyro character... burnination is appealing though.

Thoughts, feelings, opinions?
    My opinion and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at the 7/11, most others want the dollar too :P

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

At an observation deck at Port Wander, seeing his ship for the first time and being introduced to the bridge crew/away team that he hired before arriving.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Troll in the Playground

So far I have 25 warriors, 5 immortals, 5 lychguard, 5 deathmarks, an overlord, a doomscythe, and an anni-barge.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

In my experience, flamers are an excellent weapon. They're situational use, but that situation is "Multiple flesh-enemies standing near each other" which, as it happens, is a lot of situations.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Ettin in the Playground

Just don't fight Necrons with them.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Just don't fight Necrons with them.
    That's what Beamer Meltas are for.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blacklight101 View Post
    Flamers, is it more of a 'situational use' thing or is it more of a 'bag it and tag it' deal?

I happen to like the idea of them, but im not sure its the greatest chioce overall. Maybe I shouldnt have a pyro character... burnination is appealing though.

Thoughts, feelings, opinions?
    Flamers vary in usefulness from system to system, though if backporting and frontporting material is an option then they can be pretty nasty anytime anywhere.

Primarily flamers are good at killing low-armour low-toughness enemies that come in large amounts, horde enemies and swarms. With some options like blessed promethium they become better at killing things like daemons, toxic promethium makes them better at killing high-armour low-toughness enemies.

The heavy flamer is a nice step up from the flamer as it avoids most of the problems of heavy weapons as a result of being a spray weapon.

Hand flamers are less useful for killing large groups, but are better at overkilling small groups when dual-wielded, or can be paired with a weapon better suited to killing high-armour high-toughness enemies like an inferno pistol, plasma pistol or power weapon.

The best flamer of any type (to me anyway) is a starflare plasma weapon. Starflare vents are a weapon upgrade from Rogue Trader Hostile Acquisitions that turn a plasma weapon into a flamer weapon with ludicrous damage and pen in exchange for being a little heretical and eating more ammunition. Spray weapon plasma cannons anyone?

In summary, flamers are good if you fight lots of things like cultists or mutants or orks, less useful if you face things like servitors, ogrynn or eldar or chaos marines. With some upgrades and options a flamer can become more useful, but it's usually best not to try and force a weapon into a situation it's not suited to.

Pyromania is generally a good thing in 40k though. Enough fire will kill nearly anything, unless it's something made of fire.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the biggest advantage of flame weapons is not needing to roll to hit, meaning they make great ranged weapons for characters with poor BS like melee focused characters, lore based characters or party faces.
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2014-12-03 at 04:51 PM.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

11. - Top - End - #1181

Zombie

Wow, thanks for that, guys. That gives me a better idea of what I'm going to do and it confirmed a few of my thoughts as well. Fire is an awesome weapon, so at least my mild pyromania gets an outlet.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Also, if you play a flamer-wielding priest, you can literally spray'n'pray
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Excuse me I'm new here.

Could any of you tell me which forum or sub-forum here would be appropriate for sharing a few (pre-typed) stories about a bunch of Guardsmen?

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoggy View Post
    Excuse me I'm new here.

Could any of you tell me which forum or sub-forum here would be appropriate for sharing a few (pre-typed) stories about a bunch of Guardsmen?
    Your fame has preceded you, Shoggy.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

15. - Top - End - #1185

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    Also, if you play a flamer-wielding priest, you can literally spray'n'pray
    Yes! Absolutely, I almost made one of those once. Given the input, and looking into some feats, they're pretty good and I'm really starting to like them even more. I guess all I really have to worry about now is too-high Toughness and my aim. Placing that template might make it hard to choose targets now and then. So many mobs of heretics, so little time.

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    Your fame has preceded you, Shoggy.
    Well that's cool, it's nice to be known.

Can you point me towards a spot on these forums that would appreciate a massive storytime dump? I was told to post on these forums, but not told where exactly to do so.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Halfling in the Playground

Well that's cool, it's nice to be known.

Can you point me towards a spot on these forums that would appreciate a massive storytime dump? I was told to post on these forums, but not told where exactly to do so.
    I suspect it would be fine here, just throw each story under a spoiler to save space and such.

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EikaForge View Post
    I suspect it would be fine here, just throw each story under a spoiler to save space and such.
    There always seems to be a fair bit of talking when I post these and I don't want to be distracting in the general thread, if I start my own should I put it in this forum or the general one up a level?

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Ogre in the Playground

Slap them down in this thread, it's fine.

They're glorious, by the by.
    Protect Humanity
    Enslave the gods

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay folks, here's a nice long story about bravery, incompetence, and detpacks.

As a quick fore-word, I'm splitting these into chapters embedded into this forum, but everything is avaialble in one html file here:
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B3Z9sX...dFWXM/agp.html

Be aware that this thing gets damned long, sorry about that, I lack any sort of editor.

The Adventures of the All Guardsmen Party

Spoiler: Prologue: Natural Selection Based Character Creation
    Show

Spoiler: Part 2: Guardsmen and Pilgrims
    Show

Spoiler: Part 3: Dude Where's My Psyker
    Show

Spoiler: Part 4: What's in the Box?
    Show

Spoiler: Part 5: Nubby's Girlfriend
    Show

Spoiler: Part 6: Heretic Purging
    Show

Spoiler: Part 7: Discount Spaceship
    Show

Spoiler: Part 8: Good Soldiers, Bad Educators
    Show

Damn that's a lot of text. Let me know if you spot something I put into this post wrong or if you'd like to talk about any part of the stories or if I should move this somewhere else.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

I'm only about halfway through, but the big reveal about the box is glorious.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Titan in the Playground

Having stayed up all night reading them, I am now all the way through. That was pretty damn funny.

I am curious about the last story. Specifically...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Necrons. I assume you're playing DH 1st edition. Which stats did your GM use for the Necrons? I ported Necrons into DH myself, and I found I had to kitbash them a lot. The Deathwatch ones are too scary and the Black Crusade ones aren't really scary enough.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I'm only about halfway through, but the big reveal about the box is glorious.
    Thanks, it was a genuine surprise for us and caused a lot yelling and laughing around the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro_Yersul View Post
    Having stayed up all night reading them, I am now all the way through. That was pretty damn funny.

I am curious about the last story. Specifically...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Necrons. I assume you're playing DH 1st edition. Which stats did your GM use for the Necrons? I ported Necrons into DH myself, and I found I had to kitbash them a lot. The Deathwatch ones are too scary and the Black Crusade ones aren't really scary enough.
    Props for getting through in a night, at last count the whole thing was 89754 words long. So longer than the second harry potter book, but shorter than the third and with a lot more spelling errors and questionable word choices than both combined.

Spoiler
    Show
    As for the necrons, I wasn't the one who did the conversion there, but as far as I know he took the BC stats for them then asked some tabletop players how effective per unit unbuffed guardsmen were against necron warriors. Then he just tweaked their stats until they were roughly in parity with the tabletop and probably adjusted a few rules for the sake of narrative causality (like all the necrons behind us getting back up).

24. - Top - End - #1194

SolithKnightGuy

Wow, the day I finally get time to return to Gitp Shoggy appears. Love the All Guardsmen.

On another note, I'm attempting to sort of make the IDF in Only War as one of my campaign ideas. I found reference to a Chimedon on the WH40k wiki which I'm making parallel to the Merkava as a tank that also hauls infantry around. Mechanics wise it's a Chimera that has a Leman Russ Conquerer cannon on it. But it, and the conqueror aren't statted in Only War, or any of the WH40k Rpgs afaik. Any suggestions on how to do so?

25. - Top - End - #1195

Zombie

I'm on part 4 of this story. I'm totally hooked and I think you had an incredible DM thus far.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dupersudi View Post
    Wow, the day I finally get time to return to Gitp Shoggy appears. Love the All Guardsmen.

On another note, I'm attempting to sort of make the IDF in Only War as one of my campaign ideas. I found reference to a Chimedon on the WH40k wiki which I'm making parallel to the Merkava as a tank that also hauls infantry around. Mechanics wise it's a Chimera that has a Leman Russ Conquerer cannon on it. But it, and the conqueror aren't statted in Only War, or any of the WH40k Rpgs afaik. Any suggestions on how to do so?
    I'd suggest starting with the Battle Cannon and tweaking it to the Conqueror's fluff listed there. (I'm unfamiliar with the wargame, so anything here is perhaps educated guesswork.) Considering some of the similarities in their design, you may wish to just reflavor an autocannon. Add Blast 5/Concussive 1, reduce the fire rate to S/2/-, reduce the magazine size to 12, and add a tweak that reduces penalties for vehicle movement by -10 (to a minimum of +0).

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Troll in the Playground

Okay folks, here's a nice long story about bravery, incompetence, and detpacks.

As a quick fore-word, I'm splitting these into chapters embedded into this forum, but everything is avaialble in one html file here:
    https://googledrive.com/host/0B3Z9sX...dFWXM/agp.html

Be aware that this thing gets damned long, sorry about that, I lack any sort of editor.

The Adventures of the All Guardsmen Party

Spoiler: Prologue: Natural Selection Based Character Creation
    Show

Spoiler: Part 2: Guardsmen and Pilgrims
    Show

Spoiler: Part 3: Dude Where's My Psyker
    Show

Spoiler: Part 4: What's in the Box?
    Show

Spoiler: Part 5: Nubby's Girlfriend
    Show

Spoiler: Part 6: Heretic Purging
    Show

Spoiler: Part 7: Discount Spaceship
    Show

Spoiler: Part 8: Good Soldiers, Bad Educators
    Show

Damn that's a lot of text. Let me know if you spot something I put into this post wrong or if you'd like to talk about any part of the stories or if I should move this somewhere else.
    A truly legendary story.

Which character did you play? Also, which Regiment were you from? Details on the Regiment would be nice. :)

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    A truly legendary story.

Which character did you play? Also, which Regiment were you from? Details on the Regiment would be nice. :)
    I'd say part of the charm is NOT knowing which character he's playing.

Though details on the regiment would be nice ;)

Looking forward to your next mission.
    GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blacklight101 View Post
    I'm on part 4 of this story. I'm totally hooked and I think you had an incredible DM thus far.
    Yea he's pretty nifty, hes definitely mellowed a bit over the years though. Getting a real job will do that to a man.

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    A truly legendary story.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingScanian View Post
    I'd say part of the charm is NOT knowing which character he's playing.

Though details on the regiment would be nice ;)

Looking forward to your next mission.
    I'm going to hold off saying who I played unless there is a clear majority one way or the other.

The guardsmen were members of the 99th Generian Medium Infantry, or as they're know on the org chart: Gener IC Med Inf.

This was the result of five people trying to make a pun out the regiment's name after deciding they wanted to go for the standard guardsmen experience instead of messing around with any of the more flavorful options.

It was a completely normal regiment down the board, Civilized world origin, Line Infantry, Fixed Commander, and only Die Hards and Well Provisioned for the traits. We were quite serious about making it the most boring regiment possible: there was no specialization in the roster at all, everyone had completely standard issue kit, and the regiment was colloquially known as the either the GIs, the Fillers, or the Bland Band.

The regiments career was short, they were used as the tactical equivalent of packing peanuts. Something cheap and disposable to fill the space and protect the more important regiments, then be thrown out.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Uneducated question, and maybe more suitable to a fluff thread, but...

How exactly do the Hereticus and the Malleus differ from each other? I know that one deals with heretics, the other with daemons. However, to me it seems that someone who deals with heretics, specifically chaos cults (which seems to be a significant part of the heretics) would need some knowledge on how to fight any daemons they decide to summon. And someone who deals with daemons (not deals with daemons, deals with daemons) should really be prepared to deal with any and all cultists (heretics) that are summoning said daemons as well...
    GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.