New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] A City Alone IC I

Hakka

The thri-kreen's antennae felt the desire of twitching slightly upon Kriv's question about subtlety, but fortunately they did not. Instead, he remains quiet during the conversation as his instinctively sharpens his senses.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Rutinary, active Perception and Insight checks, focused on the room in general and on One-Eye in particular:
    · Perception: (1d20+15)[28]
    · Insight: (1d20+10)[13]

PS: I wanted to fade away with the shadows at first, but changed my mind.
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Draj, while present, is mentally distracted, running formule in his head. Some ideas he would need to run past the academy masters... might be good enough to get him a tenure position...

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The grizzled hobgoblin's mouth turns up a little at DEN's joke, before he replies. "Melora's Bounty won't be joining the rest of the fleet. In fact, just the opposite." One-eye unrolls a large map of the surrounding area and puts a paperweight on each side, and places atop it a list of almost a score of ship names. An equal number of charcoal crosses dot the vellum of the map.

"Our ships are being attacked by Drow pirates. Ships disappearing, or being found floating, crews gone. They seem to be after slaves, because they usually go after ships with settlers en route to outlying colonies or large crews, instead of ships with valuable cargo. Recently they bit off more than they could chew, went after the Forgefather's Hand. Guess their spy didn't realize the Mul keep tinkering with it, got some kind of new thunderer in the bow. Anyway, Drow closed to board as it was on the way back with supplies and wounded, and a bunch of refugees we recently freed from a bunch of cultists. Managed to get real close at night, captain of the Forgefather's Hand said there was a lot of fog at the time. He apparently somehow dropped both anchors on one side and slewed around, surprised them with a thunderer blast at short range. The Drow kept coming, grappled and boarded, but the thunderer blast seemed to have killed a bunch before the fight even began and after about fifteen minutes they fell back to their ship, cut the lines, and sailed off. Those freed slaves gave a good account of themselves, Mul crew said it made the difference. We've lost a couple of ships since, but smaller stuff.

Since their run in with Forgefather's Hand we've tried to catch them by filling holds with marines, but they never take the bait. We've done convoys, but we don't have enough warships to do it for all traffic, and they just pick off the ones that aren't part of one. We've sent expeditions to the places they are most likely to operate out of, but with no result. They must have a spy or spies somehow, like I said, but they've yet to be caught out. If we set the Confessors on the crews of every ship, they'd know we're onto them. Worst of all, scrying hasn't revealed a single thing.

So now, we're bringing you in. You're to take Melora's Bounty and figure out how they're taking out ships and where they're coming from, any way you can. Preferably without the Drow realizing we know. Once you figure out where their base is, get a message back here as quickly as possible. We'll have a force ready to attack where ever they're lurking. We're hoping the spy or spies won't know any of you, or that you're Stormcrows. If they do, pray to the gods they just figure we're desperate for captains.

Your crew will have a bunch of those freed slaves, veteran marines, maybe a few more Stormcrows, who knows. We're piecing together a crew as best we can to get you good men without arousing suspicion. You should be sailing within five days. Do what you like in the meantime, but be ready to go any minute.

Any questions?"

Spoiler: Hakka
    Show

You see nothing unexpected in the room, or on Gugnir. He seem irate and preoccupied, perhaps something to do with the ships assembling in the lagoon around the High Tower.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

4. - Top - End - #364

Hakka

Hakka just looks Gugnir with a plain face, but he's genuinely curious. This new mission is surely one that could require the thri-kreen's full potential as a trained hunter, but about those creatures called drows he knows a little and nothing more.

So, in order to hunt them, he needs more info about the prey.

"One requires more information about drows, if that be possible," Hakka finally says. "Habits, targets, diet, other. Everything counts."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Nodding, Kriv begins making a mental checklist of what the crew would need to have in order to be successful. When One-eye finishes, Kriv looks to Draj. "Think you can set up something here in the next few days so that we could do long range communication?" He then claps a hand on Hakka's back, "I'm sure we can find some resources on Drow. I haven't had much experience with them - basically just treated them like Elves, for what it's worth."

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

DEN says "Drow. Spiders. Web Of Illusion, Deceit, Poison. Sən Bir Zəhər Istifadəçi Yaşamaq Eziyyət Deyil. Additional Intelligence Threat Analysis Required."

He hefts his gouge meaningfully, as he adds "This Unit Is A Fighting Machine And Cannot Readily Be Camouflaged As A Civilian Worker. This Unit Can Remain Belowdecks Or Be Crated On Deck Until Target Appear."
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Gugnir growls "You'll have to do you own research. And figure out how what to do with DEN. If you've any more questions before you leave, I'll be at the High Tower overseeing other preparations. Remember, you'll be leaving in a few days, so be ready. If there's nothing else, dismissed."

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Nodding and saluting, Kriv turns to face his team.

"I've got some business at the temple, and should all consider yourselves on leave for the next 2 days. I'll need you uninjured and unjailed, so try not to get into too much trouble."

With that, Kriv walks back to the door and gives two knocks, "we're ready to head back topside" he says to the guide without.

At the first opportunity, Kriv heads to the Temple (of Kord, if there is one, and to a general place to pray/make offerings if there is no temple to Kord). He prays for Viktor's soul and safety in the afterlife, and does his best to remember the fierce warrior fondly. He vows to bring honor to the man's name, and to all of the Stormcrows. We've got most of the bases covered, but I think we'll need another Kriv thinks to himself.

He stays in the temple for the remainder of the night, in prayer, and vows to seek out some new blood in the morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Montage time?

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

9. - Top - End - #369

Sathris

"Thank you Captain. I am going to return to the flock. Time away has become... trying. I want to ensure they are well. The flock is always listening, so I will also ask if they know more about the Drow."

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    More in a later post

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

"Is Forgefather's Hand In Port If So This Unit Shall Debrief The Captain First Lieutenant Marine Lieutenant Or Others."
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

11. - Top - End - #371

Hakka

The thri-kreen hunter makes a short bow right after Gugnir's dismissal order, a gesture who looks more human-like than thri-kreenish. After that, he listens to Kriv's brief words and replies "yes, captain. One shall do."

Just like Sathris, Hakka is interested in gather more information about drow pirates. However, where would a silent thri-kreen sniper go in an urban setting? He decided to go for a walk to the closest thri-kreen community. Perhaps the telepathic communication should give some fruits.

Once there, he looks for any military-looking thri-kreen and communicates with him/her. <Greetings. May I ask you a favor? I'm currently looking for any info related to drow, specifically combat and sea operations. Do you know where could I find it, please?>

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

As you can see, Hakka can communicate more fluently using thri-kreen telepathy instead of his usual stiff speaking.

I will make an Insight check just in case: (1d20+10)[27]

Or roll Streetwise, if the situation requires so: (1d20+4)[23]
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

DEN will requisition a barrel, crate, or similar, large enough to contain himself and suitable for being loaded on the ship along with the rest of the cargo.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Draj wandered back from the mage colledge. He'd put together his arcane thesis, submitted it to the faculty. It would take a few weeks to be reviewed, but he had high hopes in that regard. It wasnt the life extension project he was hoping for, but any accolades it accruedd him might give him additional resources to work with... another step on his journy. He just hoped he had enough time left to finish it.

Which brought him to his current mission... and wandering the docks, looking for a familiar face. Perhaps he should have paid more attention to the Stormcrow briefing...?

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

The dragonborn leans over a table, pouring over a map. He was learning to enjoy strategy where, in his youth, he would prefer speed. Being bait wasn't a new tactic to him - in fact, he and his old crew had tried the con a half dozen times with varying degrees of success. But being bait for someone who was trying to rescue you and being bait for someone tried to rob you or kill you . . . those were very different games.

He'd placed the black handkerchiefs where he knew his crew would find them - on a lamppost, in a window, near an apple crate - and now he just had to wait. They always came back in, but he thought this time might be different. They'd never lost anyone before, and after Grigor's departure he feared that some might choose to forget their obligation.

Kriv's mouth smiled wide as the door to the group's base opened up. "Glad you finally decided to make it. Have you heard from the others?" he said, his worried expression sliding off of his face, quickly replaced with swagger and bravado as he turned around.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-07-02 at 12:05 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Kriv settles aboard Melora's Bounty to start planning as best he can. A messenger from Gugnir gives him a list of crew that will be joining them before the ship sails.

Sending you some of my best hobgoblins. They'll look like beat-up old invalids,
    and that's not too far off, but they're hard bastards.

A bunch of those freed slaves volunteered to go. They're not trained fighters,
    but they can pass as settlers and they're real happy at the thought of carving up
    slavers. Had to send a bunch of women to make the spy think you might
    actually be off to settle somewhere.

We can spare a few gnolls. Young ones, not ready for the fleet, but scrappy.
    Watch out for one of them taking a shine to Draj. Don't think he'd get too
    moonstruck, but they might.

Some Mul from the Forgefather's Hand will go too, might be able to help
    and if not they still swing a mean axe. Just don't let them take the ship apart
    to build yet another death machine.

And there'll be another Stormcrow joining, bring your squad up to full.
    Janaga Darkeyes.

They all know what they need to do, but it's hard for a bunch of killers to fool
    anyone into thinking they're settlers. Watch them and keep the act up as best you can.

- Gugnir
    Lord of the Hightower

Sathris learned from the flocks that some kenku worked with Drow before the Last War, hired as spies and thieves where Drow could not go. One elder opines that the Drow are subtle and cunning, and there may be more to the piracy than mere desire for slaves.

DEN interrogated the crew of the Forgefather's Hand that the Drow used their darkvision to shower the Forgefather's Hand with arrows on a moonless night, forcing the Mul to hide or retreat belowdecks until after the Drow came aboard. He also acquired a large, stout chest in which to lurk.

Hakka communicated with the thri-kreen of Great Hope, who told him that they did not know much about the Drow or their doings, and that they can spare no soldiers to help him. Hakka surmises that this is related to the fleet gathering around the Hightower.

Draj, wandering the docks, spotted an old acquaintance, Janaga Darkeyes, near Melora's Bounty. A fellow arcanist from his days of apprenticeship, although older than he. Unusual for a female half-orc, she was a sorcerer that specialized in weather, if he recalled arightly. She was looking over the ship before going to meet Gugnir One-eye, perhaps to join them on their voyage.

----- The Day of Departure -----

Gathering aboard Melora's Bounty is a strange bunch. Kriv worries about the chances of passing for bait. Supplies are loaded, including a lot of gear for building a small settlement. At least we can survive on a desert island if we get wrecked... The ship is loaded and ready before the last member of the crew arrives - Janaga Darkeyes, you presume - puffing as she runs down the dock carrying a large sack over her back. "Sorry I'm late. Gugnir wasn't able to meet me until a few minutes ago. Janaga Darkeyes, Stormcrow and sorcerer of storm. We ready to cast off?"
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-07-19 at 01:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Before the ship sails, DEN reports to Kriv:
    The Crew Of The Forgefather's Hand Reports That Drow Used Darkvision And Long Range Archery. The Crew Was Unable To Reply And Retreated Below Decks Until The Drow Boarded. This Unit Recommends That Darkvision Or Illumination May Be Crucial But That They Not Be Revealed Until The Drow Commit To A Decisive Combat. During The Long Range Phase Of The Engagement That We Not Say Again Not Use Counterfire As The Drow Are Likely To Withdraw.
    Recommend Cover From Archery Forex Cargo Crates Be Placed On Deck In Quantities Consistent And Plausible With Our Cover Mission.
    This Unit Is Going To Stand In A Box.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv looks at the new recruit, trying to determine in an instant if he can trust her or not. Ignoring her direct questioning, instead Kriv looks to his own wizard. "Draj, you vouch for her?" he asks of the Gnoll. "She's your responsibility. Get her acquainted, show her the ropes. Make sure she doesn't kill herself, or at least if she does, that she doesn't take anyone else with her." he says, before moving on to check with the rest of the crew.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

18. - Top - End - #378

Sathris

"Captain." The Kenku stands (relatively) tall with an air of new resolve about him. "It is good to be back."

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Smiling toothily at the Kenku's confidence, Kriv replies, "If I didn't know better, my friend, I'd say you were absolutely preening."

He pats Sathris on the shoulder and continues on.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

20. - Top - End - #380

Hakka

The thri-kreen hunter arrives to Kriv's position quietly. It was a habit of his moving as silently as he could, but it seemed that the intentions of remain unnoticed backfired in an urban environment like this one.

"One was gathering info of the drow," he reports. "One was not very successful, but one's ready to go."
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-07-22 at 01:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

Draj grumbled about taking an apprentice slowing his research, but he set out to get the sorcerer ready for the field. He had time to look over the gnoll recruits- but they were young enough to be his children, if he could have spared the time for such a task. Still, perhaps a few could be trained to be useful outside a battlefield.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Once his crate is settled on the deck, DEN sets up a tactical analysis of the Battle of Two Suns, and goes on low power standby.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Nodding to the last of the Stormcrows, Kriv's expression suddenly changes from one of familiarity to one of authority.

"All hands on deck!" Kriv shouts, his voice ringing out across the ship. Kriv proceeds to command the crew, relying on his former skill as a pirate and smuggler to drive his points home. "I know that most of you haven't served under my command before. Those who have know me to be fair and just. And merciless. If you don't pull your weight, we won't pull yours. I've been known as Kriv the Keelhauler for a reason. Laziness is mutinous. Mutiny is death. Now let's get a move on!." The crew runs around, getting everything ready to cast off. At the shout of "anchor's aweigh", Kriv directs the helmsman to set a course, using his memory of Gugnir's map to guide him. "Make me proud, and let's show Melora what her namesake can do!"

Once everyone is about their tasks, Kriv pulls Hakka aside. Speaking low, the captain says to his scout, "Do what you can to keep an eye out for Drow. We know that they've snuck up on others, and I don't aim to be caught with my sails down."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate, to keep everyone in line and to ensure any spy is aware of what fate will befall them should they prove treacherous: (1d20+21)[28]

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

24. - Top - End - #384

Hakka

"Captain says, one obeys," thee thri-kreen hunters replies to Kriv before reviewing in his mind the first of the Duties of a Clutchmate: Accept your place in the clutch and follow the leader’s commands, for the clutch must be orderly.

Once aboard the ship, Hakka will climb up the highest mast and take watch from the crow's nest.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The sorcerer bridles at this brusque treatment. She salutes Kriv with undisguised contempt, and roughly brushes past Draj on her way belowdecks. Draj recalls that she responded with hostility to any disrespect, even the little pranks played by all young arcanists on each other during schooling.

As the crew hurries to obey orders, it is clear to Kriv that they will need a lot of work before meeting his standards. Unused to working together, aboard a new ship, and some new to sailing, they are slow to get Melora's Bounty moving. Still, none of them seem to be unbearably incompetent. After speaking with Hakka, he begins moving about the ship, watching the crew at their tasks and assigning more experienced members to guide those new to the sea.

Hakka climbs up to the crow's nest. After determining that none of the crew seem to be Drow in disguise, he looks back at Great Hope. As Melora's Bounty moves towards one of the gaps in the reef, he sees the fleet assembling near the Hightower, which casts a long shadow over the ships as the sun rises from behind the mountain ridge at the center of the island. Nearly a hundred vessels ride at anchor, from small galleasses with oars rising like wings, to the great mass of the Sun Queen with the golden sigil of Pelor on her sails sparkling in the bright morning sun. There are even a pair of Elven skysailers floating above, long lines running down to great iron loops in the rock around the base of the Hightower.

DEN hears the great bells of the Pillars of Heaven, the massive temple-fortress complex at the heart of Great Hope. Their ringing notes, sonorous in the fog being burnt off by the sun, recall a misty memory of the creation chambers where he was made. Chainpearl...

The wind catching her sails in earnest, Melora's Bounty sails through the reef and into the open ocean, her wake lapping at the edges of the sand bars around the gap.

So begins Chapter II
    Ships in the Night

26. - Top - End - #386

Sathris

Sathris sets off to mingle with the civilians in the crew, striking up a few conversations with the intent of gauging how much they know about the mission, and how comfortable they feel with their roles in it.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

DEN

Once the ship is out on the open sea (detectable by ship's motion) and it's night (detectable by light between the crate slats), DEN will carefully lean against the crate lid to loosen it--not opening it, just getting it to where it can be easily opened when the time is right.

Once that's done, he goes back to reviewing battle accounts.
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-08-05 at 02:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Now that the crew has finally made it into open water, Kriv takes some time to walk around and assess everyone. His normally gruff demeanor gives way to almost fatherly kindness, as he offers suggestions to different crew members about how to work the rigging, adjust the sails, swab the deck, etc.

He shouts up to Hakka for a report, and smiles toothily when the thri-kreen assures him all is well.

Heading belowdecks, Kriv swings by the galley for a quick bite before heading to see Janaga.

Finding her room, Kriv knocks on the door, "Mistress Darkeyes, permission to enter?" he asks, some formality slipping back into his voice.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-08-05 at 01:25 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Moving among the crew, Sathris can tell that getting them into shape as a crew, let alone one that will deceive any spy, will take a fair bit of work. The mul and hobgoblins are doing a particularly poor job, despite knowing the most about the mission. The former refugees are doing a better job, and the young gnolls are either clueless about what they're really aboard for, or marvelously skilled actors. Though almost all citizens of Great Hope have some experience at sea, only the mul are true sailors.

Kriv works hard to get the crew working together, learning about each of them as fast as he can. The gnolls he sets to working the deck, the refugees to climbing aloft. A mul leader is assigned to each group, to supplement his instruction and watch over the others. He hopes to make it through without losing anyone overboard. Kriv ponders how best to use the hobgoblin veterans while eating his brief lunch, then marches below to see the other Stormcrow.

His knock on Janaga's door is answered by a growled "Enter." He pushes on the small door and ducks into her little cabin. She reclines on the lower sleeping rack, her half-orc frame squeezed into the tiny space. After seeing that it's Kriv, she makes the barest effort to salute before returning her gaze to the bottom of the rack above her.

DEN lurks.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

"At ease" Kriv says, waving his hand in a dismissive fashion. "I want to uncharacteristically apologize for how I treated you earlier."

Kriv takes off his hat, offering Janaga that much respect. "We have an unknown spy in our midst, and you are a valuable asset. Had I shown you too much deference, gratitude, or even recognition, it would have jeopardized our mission. You are a Stormcrow though, and I suspect you could teach Draj a thing or two about the elements. Nevertheless, you are a part of this crew and a part of our family."

Kriv steps back, placing his hat back on his head. "Now then, as with the rest of the 'crows, I expect you to pull your weight, and I expect you to tell me if there's a problem. We work well together because we can trust each other and rely on one another. I know Hakka isn't the best socializer out there, and that DEN is probably going to murder us all in our sleep, but I know those things and use them as a point of reference when we operate. I understand the strengths of my team and ensure that we always put our best foot forward. You earn respect of the crew by doing your job. You earn my respect by doing your job well. I know old One-Eye wouldn't have signed you up with us if he didn't think you were a good fit, and believe me, his word carries a lot of weight."

Kriv rests his hand on his sword hilt for a moment, then walks forward, extending a hand in friendship. "Welcome aboard. And please, tell me you have an idea for how we get these Drow."
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-08-13 at 02:42 PM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk