New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] A City Alone IC I

Kriv

Lighting arcs across the Dragonborn's scales as he remembers fondly why he chose to develop an aura of fear rather than the lightning breath his kind are so fabled for. "Janega!" he yells, unsure if she can hear him or not. "Do NOT let that thing puppet you. Remember your training, remember your rank. If I thought you were weak, you would not be on this crew!" He shouts at her, hoping his voice works like a slap across the face. Grimacing, he once again steps out of the vampiric aura and hurls his sword at the foe who is still rattled from his earlier attack.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Minor: Diplomacy on Janega (1d20+15)[25]

Move: Shift 1 to U14 (out of the Auras)

Standard: Martial Doom vs Chillborn Mist 1
    Attack: (1d20+18)[26] vs AC (16+2 for CA)
    Hit: (2d8+11)[16] damage and the target grants combat advantage to your allies until the end of your next turn.
    Effect: Any ally that hits the target with an attack gained from an action point before the end of your next turn deals 5 extra damage to the target.

Chillborn 1 is still under Divine Challenge and will take 8 Radiant Damage for if it make an attack that does not include me.
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-10-11 at 08:12 PM.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

As the chillborn solidifies momentarally, Draj answeres it with a blow of his staff, his beastial strength breaing through his normally civilized exterior with a ripping snarl.

Melee basic attack (con) with +3 staff
    (d20+17)[19] vs AC
    if hit: (d8+7)[9] Half con, +3 staff, Pack racial power.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The mist Draj launched himself at darts out of the way, barely evading the chilled gnoll. As his staff whistles through the air, Draj feels ever colder in the draining presence of the vaporous undead.

Kriv sees the rippling lightning covering Janaga slow to a crawl for a moment, an oddly beautiful effect, and the piercing blue light emanating from her eyes dims as some part of her hears his words.

The mist surrounded by DEN, Sathris, and sailors is suffering, the fog it animates dissipating into the frigid night air. Fixed in place by the enchantment on DENs armor, it claws desperately at him. Raking long trails across his chest plating, its claws leave the outer armor unharmed, but long jagged marks appear on the living woods that constitutes the warforged frame. Pain Receptors: Operating At 93% Efficiency.

The other mists continue to trade blows with the crewmembers attacking them, who are holding their own for the moment but will soon be in trouble under the influence of the mists. More men scramble up the ladders from belowdecks and race to join their comrades, stumbling over each other in their haste.

Spoiler
    Show

Draj takes 10 damage for ending his turn in two of the auras, and each Chillborn Mist gains 5 THP.
    Draj's Cloud of Daggers ends.

Kriv succeeds on his skill check.

Spoiler: Janaga's Traits
    Show

Gathering Storm
    Each turn in which Janaga hits a target with an attack, she adds 1d6 to her damage rolls. This does not take effect if a skill check to help her resist possession succeeds.

Vampiric Mist 1 starts P21
    Attacks DEN and hits, does 16 necrotic damage and DEN is vulnerable 5 vs necrotic until the end of the mist's next turn.
    Fails save v Immobilized
    Fails save v Dazed
    Does not recharge Wave of Lethargy

Vampiric Mist 2 stays in place and attacks a sailor. Takes 10 damage from the crew attacking it.
    Recharges Wave of Lethargy

Vampiric Mist 3 stays in place and attacks a sailor. Takes 5 damage from the crew attacking it.
    Does not recharge Wave of Lethargy

Hakka, DEN, and Sathris are up.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

4. - Top - End - #424
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sathris

Suffering the draining presence of staying within the mist, Sathris slashes his blade through the creature's face twice before retreating up the stairs to Kriv's side. Taking a defensive position next to them, he quickly reports "Captain - Draj - DEN is active and we seem to have dispatched one of them but our weapons seem ineffective. What can we do? I don't think the crew is faring as well as we did."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Start: Q21

Standard Action:
    Sly Flourish vs Vampiric Mist 1
    Attack: (1d20+22)[42] vs AC
    Damage: (1d4+15)[19]
    Sneak Attack: (2d8+5)[11]

Spoiler: Contingency: VM1 survives Sly Flourish
    Show

Minor Action:
    Low Slash vs Vampiric Mist 1
    Attack: (1d20+22)[34] vs AC
    Damage: (1d4+15)[18]

Move Action:
    Walk to R13

END: R13
    Last edited by Gavran; 2014-10-14 at 04:44 AM.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

DEN
    With one foe down, DEN--still continuing with his battle cry--clomps up the ladder, shoulders past Kriv and lashes out against both of the mists he's facing.
    "....Two Cups Chopped Bell Peppers Half Cup Finely Chopped Cilantro One Cup Apple Cider Vinega."

Spoiler: Combat
    Show

Start: O21
    Move: up the ladder to S14
    Minor: Unstoppable Advance stance (while in stance, when I hit, I can Push1 the target, and can follow up into the vacated square)
    Attack: Sweeping Blow 1d20 + 15 + 1 warforged superiority + 2 using an axe with this maneuver
    vs CM 1 (add CA) (1d20+20)[34]
    damage (2d6)[4][1](5)+7 +2 vs bloodied target --14, not halved extra dice for Brutal (2d6)[2][3](5)
    A hit marks it and pushes it to S12

vs CM 2 (add CA) (1d20+18)[29]
    damage (2d6)[6][5](11)+7 = 18 halved to 9 extra dice for Brutal (2d6)[5][5](10)
    Hit marks it and pushes it to S15

Edited: Sweeping Blow is a weapon attack, but not a melee attack; Unstoppable doesn't work with it, therefore I didn't use it. Since it's a close burst, there's only one damage roll, and CM2 takes 12 halved to 6.

Spoiler: Contingency
    Show
    I didn't see that my Strikeback contingency got used so it's still in effect.
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-10-14 at 07:12 PM.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

6. - Top - End - #426

Hakka

*thunk*

*thunk*

Two bolts are shot from above intended to aim at the two blue mists.

Spoiler: What Hakka did (Perception 32 to notice)
    Show

The thri-kreen hunter uses his four arms to stash his bow and draw his fastest crossbow. load a bolt on it, and change his fighting stance. Then he decides to give the finishing shot to both blue mists.

He shoots, reloads, and shoots again.

Show

Free: Multiple Arms, change weapon to Swiftshot Crossbow

Free: Load crossbow

Minor: Change stance to Aspect of the Lurking Spider

Minor: Use Swiftshot Crossbow encounter power, attacking Chillborn Mist 2 (using Sneak of Shadows feat to deal +(2d6)[4] dmg)
    · Attack: (1d20+18)[25] vs AC (16 base, +2 CA)
    · Hit: (1d8+12)[14] dmg (11 base, +2 stance, + sneak attack)

Free: Reload crossbow

Standard: Clever Shot vs Chillborn Mist 2
    · Attack: (1d20+18)[19] vs AC (16 base, +2 CA)
    · Hit: (1d8+12)[18] dmg (11 base, +2 stance), target is prone.

Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-10-14 at 02:13 PM.
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

With the echoing death-cries of their fellow fiend lingering in the night, and the mystical bonds animating the mist failing under the barrage of attacks, the rest of the ghastly creatures disperse back into the fog surrounding Melora's Bounty. As they flee, the men in the forecastle encourage them not to return with a flight of fire arrows. The only sign of their presence after they disappear into the night are the dead and wounded. The rest of the crew begin to tend to the wounded, while some of the hobgoblins shout orders and try to rally the men into a group in case the mists return.

Janaga's eyes narrow as the creature possessing her sees its erstwhile allies flee. After a complicated hand gesture, the clouds above finally open up, releasing a frigid deluge that makes it hard to see or stand. As the rain pours down on the Stormcrows, it speaks through her - "This form is mine now. I won't give it up!" As it speaks, it raises Janaga's staff and begins weaving another spell. A ball of lightning builds around the glowing copper knob on the end, and everyone aboard can feel the static in the air build; Sathris' feathers tingle and Draj's singed fur stands. With a wordless cry Janaga lowers her staff, aiming directly at DEN. The crackling orb strikes him in the arm as he tries to twist away, and the electricity coursing through his body makes all his limbs lock up for a split second before the charge starts seeking an outlet.

Spoiler
    Show

DEN takes 10 damage for ending his turn in two auras, which is doubled due to necrotic vulnerability for a total of 20

The rest of the mists flee, triggering an OA or two which is irrelevant unless you really get a kick out of rolling them. In which case go ahead.

Janaga
    Begin Y5

Minor action on Freezing Deluge; creates an area burst 3 zone centered on U12 that lasts until the end of the encounter or until Janaga uses this power again. Any enemy within the zone takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls.

Standard on Crackling Orb; attacks DEN and hits with a 24 vs Reflex. 18 lightning damage and DEN takes 5 ongoing lightning damage. In addition, DEN becomes the center of a radius 2 aura (save ends); any creature that begins or ends its turn in the aura takes 5 ongoing lightning damage (save ends).
    Crackling Orb does not recharge for turn 4

Move: shift 2 to Y3

Spoiler: Janaga's Reaction
    Show

Moving adjacent to Janaga may be hard to do at first

Kriv and Draj are up
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-10-14 at 11:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Through the wind, rain and lightning, Kriv shouts toward his possessed ally, hoping to save Janega.

"Janega, I didn't think you were that weak. If I did, I would have had you keelhauled days ago!" Looking up to where the Thri-Kreen stands on the Kreen's nest, he continues, "Hell, I'd have Hakka put an arrow in each of your eyes just to shut you up. Now stop messing around and fight that thing!" As he says this, he hurls his sword toward Janega's head, pommel first, hoping to knock some sense into her.

Catching the sword on it's return trip, Kriv smacks DEN across the 'head'. "Damn hunk of junk, stop zapping me and start zapping her! REBOOT!" he shouts, hoping his words will jar the Warforged's processor back into compliance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Turn 3 - Group 2

Minor: Intimidation on Janega (1d20+21)[24]

Minor: Inspiring Word on DEN
    DEN gets to spend a Healing Surge and gets the following benefits:
    • Healing Surge Value (21) + 2d6 + 7 hit points = (2d6+28)[37] hit points
    • Roll a Saving Throw (I rolled this save for you - you got a 21! No more zap aura!)
    • +1 bonus to attack with ranged/area OR +1 bonus to defend against ranged/area until end of my next turn.
    • Shift 1 OR gain +2 bonus to AC & Reflex until the start of their next turn

Standard: RBA vs Janega
    Attack: (1d20+16)[32] vs AC (forgot the -2 due to DEN's aura. 30 still hits)
    Hit: (1d8+7)[10] damage
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-10-15 at 12:22 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

DEN (out of turn effect)

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    Kriv

Spoiler
    Show
    Turn 3 - Group 2

Minor: Inspiring Word on DEN
    DEN gets to spend a Healing Surge and gets the following benefits:
    • +1 bonus to defend against ranged/area until end of my next turn.
    • gain +2 bonus to AC & Reflex until the start of their next turn

Added to combat tracker
    "During A Reboot The Unit Will Install Upgrades And Apply Updates This Process Takes Approximately Four Hours Do Not Turn Off The Unit Or Attempt To Restart It Before Upgrades Are Complete To Confirm Reboot Enter Security Key Strathbogie Persimmon."
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-10-15 at 12:12 PM.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Draj

Ignoring his fur standing on end from the static around DEN, the gnoll touches his amulet, concentrating for just a bare moment on what it tells him. "The others are really gone," he comments to Kriv. Then, slamming the butt of his staff on the deck, he barks an arcane word and fills the poop deck with searing light. "Hey, No-Body! You want to keep burning, stay right where you are! If I were you I'd make like your little 'friends' and leave, though."

The weaving of his free hand suggests that Draj is using some sort of magic to enhance how his words are heard by the interloper, though they sound normal to the Stormcrows and crew.

Show
    And here's hoping that zones travel with the body of the ship instead of staying in place geographically.

Minor action: use ESP medallion to check on the presence of the fleeing hostiles. Draj momentarily knows the location of all creatures within 10 squares, even through objects.

Standard action: radiant pillar on the poop deck, depending where Janaga is. Last DM post said that Janaga moved to Y3 but her icon is at Y5. If Y3: center the pillar on Z4 and use architect's staff to add Z6 and AA6. If Y5: center the pillar on Z5 and use architect's staff to add Z3 and AA3. No attack roll is involved. The zone is brightly lit and creatures within it are blinded; those vulnerable to radiant take twice their vulnerability in damage if they start within the zone.

Minor action: Intimidate skill use (using spook to sub in Arcana) to help Janaga fight the insidious possessor by terrifying it into favoring leaving. Since this is a skill check for Janaga rather than a typical Intimidate check, that's a minor action ...? (d20+21)[25], if there's no bonus for the blinding radiance.

No movement: Draj begins and ends his turn at S13. Nothing to save against.

Spoiler: Contingency
    Show
    If hit, use Staff of Defense for +5 defense against that attack.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-10-18 at 12:11 AM.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

DEN

Show

I rolled to see whether DEN could figure out what was going on. Fortunately Perception and Insight both derive from WIS rather than INT.

Start: S14
    Move: around the mast to V9
    Standard: Come and Get It (close burst 3) vs Janaga
    d20+15 (1d20+15)[21] vs Will
    On Hit, pull 2 to adjacent, she ends at W9
    Assuming she does end adjacent, damage is 2d6b1 (2d6)[6][1](7) (additional Brutal dice (2d6)[6][1](7))--this is NOT subdual damage.
    Minor: Intimidate d20+12 (1d20+12)[20]

DEN moves forward and beckons, attempting to lure the possessed gnoll closer, but she doesn't fall for it.

Psychological Warfare Required To Intimidate Target.
    OpenFile:BattleCries
    SelectRandom.
    Volume:Max

"THIS IS NOT MY COW!"
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-10-19 at 12:41 AM.

12. - Top - End - #432

Sathris

Sathris gives Kriv a quick hesitant glance, unsure how to proceed - but knowing better than to take his focus off a threat for too long, he moves along the side of the ship, edging closer to possessed sorcerer. He stops when he's close enough to be confident in his aim, and drawing a weighted knife from his cloak, keeping his action hidden but ready to throw it at a moment's notice.

"Janaga, do not force this. I thought you were to be one of us. Stormcrows do not harm Stormcrows! If there is any part of you in control surrender now before any one else gets hurt!"

A sharp edge enters the Kenku's voice at the end. He would not allow his team to fall if this newcomer was too weak to deserve them.
    Show

Start: R13

Move: Walk to V14

Minor: Diplomacy: (1d20+9)[27]

Standard: Ready Sly Flourish vs Janaga
    Trigger: Janaga indicates that she remains hostile to the party
    Attack: (1d20+21)[25] vs AC
    Damage: (1d4+13)[16]
    Sneak Attack (CA from Blinded): (2d8+5)[4][7](11)

End: V14

13. - Top - End - #433

Hakka

Once the vaporous things leave, Hakka decides to focus his attention on Janaga, so he jumps back to his former position (the mainmast) as he quickly changes his weapon back to the longbow and aims to Janaga, ready to shoot an arrow at the first, slighest sign of provocation.

Show

Minor: Change stance to Aspect of the Dancing Serpent

Free: Use Skybound Armor power (allows me to jump 2 extra squares)

Move: Make a long jump, intended to be from I5 to P5 (Natural Jumper race feature allows me to be always considered to have a running start, so...)
    · Athletics (jump): (1d20+13)[33], distance cleared: 6 (check) +2 (item) = 8 squares total.

Free: Multiple Arms, change weapon to Duelist's Longbow

Standard: Ready a Disruptive Shot vs Janaga
    · Trigger: If Janaga makes a hostile action
    · Attack: (1d20+19)[34] vs AC (16 base, +1 stance, +2 CA)
    · Hit: (1d10+11)[16] dmg (10 base, +1 stance, +1 expertise), target is dazed (save ends) and gets a -2 penalty to ranged/area attacks UENT
    · Miss: Half dmg and target is slowed UENT

End of my turn (stance): Shift 1 square, but I hide in my spot instead.
    · Stealth: (1d20+18)[27] (17 base, +1 gear)

Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-10-20 at 10:00 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Janaga darts towards the bonaventure, and you can tell that her movements, though fast, are jerkier and less coordinated than before. It seems as though it's easiest for her to resist physical control, moreso than the use of her magical powers.

Spoiler: DC 20 Arcana
    Show

You surmise that the thing possessing her was once an accomplished spellcaster, and thus has a much easier time using Janaga's mystic powers than it does moving her limbs

As Draj uses some mind magic of his own, it looks for a moment as though she may shake off the grip the undead monstrosity has on her mind. The lighting sparks erratically, and the glow of her eyes dims. But then the half-orc hunches over, whimpering with pain, before straightening and bellowing into the night and the fog, "With this vessel for my essence, I will become the eye of a great storm that will sweep your world away!" Hakka and Sathris, both waiting for such a sign, immediately attack, but though knife and arrow both sink into her flesh, the possessed Stormcrow stays on her feet. The winds begin whipping around above her head, sucking in fog from around Melora's Bounty and creating the center of a hurricane. Janaga is at the center, and the fog flows around her, feeding moisture and electric charge into the coalescing spiral. The bonaventure begins to creak as the strong winds rip at it - in a larger storm it might actually fare better, but here the pressures are so uneven that the canvas can't cope. As the arms of the storm begin to develop, they spit lightning at any metal fixture they pass over. As the little hurricane spins, its arms pass over DEN and Sathris. The kenku manages to scramble out from under, but as it passes over DEN several little lightning bolts shock him.

Spoiler
    Show

Janaga
    Begin Y3
    Shift 2 to Y5

Triggered Actions resolve:
    Sathris' Sly Flourish hits for 27 damage
    Hakka's Disruptive Shot hits for 16 damage, SE Daze, -2 to ranged and area

Standard on Eye of the Storm:
    Janaga makes a Close Burst 3 attack vs reflex. Close burst ignores concealment caused by Blinded.

Hits DEN for 18 lightning and thunder damage.
    Misses Sathris, thanks to Hakka

The power creates a radius 3 zone centered on Janaga that lasts until the end of the encounter. Enemies within the zone at the start of their turns take 5 lightning and thunder damage. Janaga has partial concealment as long as she is at the center of the zone, unless an enemy is adjacent to her. The zone is difficult terrain for enemies. Uncovered flames are doused and ongoing fire damage ends immediately within the zone.

Janaga loses ability to sustain powers thanks to Draj's assistance (clever thinking there).

You're all up (unless the readied actions change that, which I don't think they do, but I can't be stuffed figuring it out for certain atm. Will double check tomorrow.)
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2014-10-22 at 03:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC 1
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    You're all up (unless the readied actions change that
    They used their Readieds on Janaga's turn rather than wait till their own turn came up; they get their regular actions on their turn.

Also, DEN didn't roll for Save Ends on his ongoing lightning. (1d20)[1]
    Odd. A metal creature standing in pools of seawater conducts electricty well. Who'd thought it?
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-10-22 at 11:36 AM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

DEN t5

"Initiating Internal Repair." There's a muffled bang from inside the machine's torso, followed by a high metallic whine that lasts several seconds before trailing off and ending with clangs like a handful of cutlery flung down a marble staircase.

The warforged leans into the wind and trudges towards his foe, gouge glittering in the lightning flashes.

Show

Start V9
    Standard: Second Wind for one surge
    Free action: activate amulet for a second surge.
    Move: two spaces through Difficult Terrain to X10. (Move 5 is okay, but when it's halved, it sucks).
    Minor: Intimidate Janaga (1d20+12)[31] -- this armored killing machine with a great big axe is coming after her.
    Save vs ongoing (1d20+2)[18]

17. - Top - End - #437

Sathris

Sathris sends another knife flashing through the air at Janaga, then slowly creeps across the deck, hoping to not be where the blinded sorcerer expects him.

Show

Start: V14

Standard: Sly Flourish vs Janaga
    Attack: (1d20+19)[30] (+3 CA, -2 partial concealment) vs AC
    Damage: (1d4+13)[15]
    Sneak Attack (CA from Blinded/Dazed): (2d8+5)[2][6](8)
    Move: Walk to V12
    - end movement, Hidden vs Janaga
    Stealth: (1d20+20)[32]

Minor: Shift to V11 (Mariner L10 feature)

End: V11

Last edited by Gavran; 2014-10-25 at 12:28 PM.

18. - Top - End - #438

Hakka

An arrow flies from above, clearly intending to incapacitate the enemy somehow by aiming at the feet, but the projectile lands on deck with a *thunk*.

Spoiler: What Hakka did (Perception 27 to notice)
    Show
    This time, Hakka decides to aim at the legs of Janaga so that the creature loses his balance. He carefully aims and shoots before hiding in his usual spot at the mainmast (Kreen's Nest).

Unfortunately, this time Hakka misses the shot. No fails next time.

Show

Standard: Clever Shot vs Janaga
    · Attack: (1d20+19)[20] (16 base, +1 stance, +2 CA)
    · Hit: (1d10+13)[15] dmg (11 base, +1 expertise, +1 stance), target is prone and gets a -2 penalty on ranged/area attacks.

End of my turn (stance): Shift 1 square, but I hide in my spot instead.
    · Stealth: (1d20+18)[37] (17 base, +1 gear)

Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-10-27 at 09:56 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439
    Titan in the Playground

Draj

"Oh, for --" the gnoll growls. "We do not have time for this! Important things to do!" Draj speaks a word of power and the hurricane around Janaga slows and falters, fighting against a new current of howling sorcerous wind. For the benefit of any drow who might be observing by ritual magic, he adds "The supplies have to get through!"

Show
    Standard action: howling wall in unoccupied squares, just blowing against the main current of the spiral. No mechanical effect.
    Minor action: Snarkiness to distract and discourage the possessor, helping Janaga fight. It's not Diplomacy by any means, and it's not Intimidate ... I guess Bluff is the best game mechanic to represent that? Same as a straight Charisma check for Draj, anyway. (d20+5)[19]. I'm away from my usual array of links so I'm not sure if he could sub Arcana for that, but I don't think so.
    Draj doesn't move, beginning and ending the turn at S13.
    No saves to make, and the radiant pillar effect ends.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-10-28 at 07:25 PM.

Current games list

20. - Top - End - #440
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv

Choosing his wording very carefully, Kriv says, in a low and steady voice, "DEN. I am ordering you to render Janaga unconscious. I want her to stay alive. You can hit her as hard as you want, but do not kill her. Understand?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Direct the Strike on DEN
    Effect: The target makes a basic attack as a free action against an enemy of your choice that you can see and is within 10 squares of you.

Minor: Diplomacy (1d20+15)[32]
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2014-10-29 at 01:05 AM.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

DEN out-of-turn

"Order Not Understood. Optimum Force Authorized Purple However Using Optimum Force Will Resulting One Hundred Pear Sent Target Lethality Lethality Not Authorized Not Authorized Command Error. Stack Overflow. Phial Not Found."

The machine, too far away for a melee strike, hefts his gouge and hurls it. It caroms off the deck, off the mast, and back to his hand.

Show

Improvised Heavy Thrown Weapon (1d20+13)[19] vs AC
    Improvised Damage 1d4 + 5 (1d4+5)[7]
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-10-29 at 04:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

As the winds scream around Melora's Bounty, the competing gusts whip the nearby waves into a froth. Rain pours down over the decks, thunder rumbles, and brilliant flashes of lightning sear the eyes of everyone on deck. The struggle between Janaga and the evil being possessing her is causing wild fluctuations in the arcane energies of the storm, and the half-orcs form writhes and convulses as two wills direct it. The help of her fellow Stormcrows is clearly strengthening her will despite the blustering bravado of the thing possessing her. But before she can cast it off entirely, the malevolent intellect musters its strength to do as much damage as it can.

A bolt of lightning crackles down and strikes Janaga, but rather than keeling over she disappears in the flash and reappears in a second lightning strike, right in the middle of the quarterdeck, next to the wheel. A wave of magical energy washes out from her, and the air is harsh and tangy. The ship's compass spins crazily, loose metal jerks and skips, and everyone aboard feels a strange tingle. Janaga thrusts her fists up to the sky and opens her fingers, and sheets of lightning arc towards the ship, striking a hundred time within a second. Hakka and Sathris are both struck. Draj shields himself with the magic of his staff, and DEN is still too charged from the lingering electrocution to be struck. Kriv, perhaps, is protected by the will of Kord. A dozen more of the sailors on board are struck, while most of the remaining bolts strike nails, arrow heads, pike tips and other bits of metal. The foremast is struck several times and the top half splits and then cracks further as a gust of wind catches the sail. Stays break with a sound like repeated thunderer shots.

Spoiler
    Show

Skill Challenge has been completed successfully.
    Janaga's possession ends at the end of her next turn.

Janaga
    Begin Y5

Minor on Lightning Pulse; teleports from Y5 to T11
    Nobody is close enough to take damage from it, so lucky you.

Standard on Summon Lightning; Draj, Hakka, and Sathris are hit.
    Draj uses Staff of Defense and negates the attack
    Hakka and Sathris take 23 damage and are blinded UENT

DEN is barely missed thanks to his Second Wind bonus

You guys are up

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

DEN

The green machine turns, reacquires his target, raises his blade and charges. He brings it down in a deadly arc...his wrists turning at the last moment to strike with the flat, not the edge....

Show

Start X10
    I'm assuming the area around her is still Difficult.
    Move: 1 space to W10
    Charge: 2 spaces to U10, triggering her "when move adjacent".

Assuming I get an attack: (1d20+17)[18]
    Damage (2d6+9)[2][5](7)...which, heavy sigh, I suppose I'll make Subdual instead of Lethal.

Not on a 1, I don't.

Showers of sparks ripple across his steel body as he enters the field around her, and the electric currents jerk his limbs--not much, but enough that his weapon takes a divot from the deck plank rather than from the half orc's scalp.
    Last edited by Laserlight; 2014-11-04 at 06:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444

Hakka

The thri-kreen's insectoid eyes were affected by the dazzling lightning Janaga summoned. His antennae, however were still active; even if he can use them for a brief amount of time, he's pretty sure that one instant would be enough to hit Janaga with a disruptive shot until the dazzling effect passes.

He calmly puts an arrow on the string of his bow, aims up, pulls and looses...

Show

Minor: Antennae Sense, I get blindsight 10 until the end of my next turn

Standard: Disruptive Shot vs Janaga
    · Attack (1d20+19)[28] vs AC (16 base, +2 CA, +1 stance)
    · Hit: (1d10+11)[19] dmg (9 base, +1 stance, +1 expertise), target is dazed (save ends), target gets -2 to ranged/area attacks until the end of my next turn.
    · Miss: Half dmg and target is slowed until the end of my next turn.

End of my turn: Shift 1 square, but I hide in my spot instead.
    · Stealth: (1d20+18)[34] (17 base, +1 gear)
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2014-11-03 at 10:38 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Draj

Cracking sounds from the mast and the lines cut through the stormwinds whipping around Janaga and reach Draj's pointed ears. He looks up through the storm, but as small streaks of lightning leap off the sorceress to burn him, appears to decide he needs a better and calmer perspective. His long legs take him quickly through the furious wind and down the ladder to the waist, focusing on the ship's rigging the whole way.

Once out of the worst weather Draj weaves a spell he had prepared for use against drow raiders, a web of strong and supernaturally sticky fibers. Though a few sailors and marines are also caught up in the mess, Draj's web should help hold the foremast close to its proper position for long enough to evacuate the fo'c'sle and fighting top. The sailors can work their way free before the mast does.

Show
    Starting his turn within the purple outline, Draj takes 5 lightning and thunder damage.
    Move action: Walk from S13 --> R13 --> Q14=Q23 --> P22 --> O21. Two of those steps are through difficult terrain, but he's got enough to cover it.
    Standard action: Cast web at a place appropriate for holding up the foremast a short time without damaging other parts of the ship. Since Draj probably knows more about ships than Dimers does, I'll leave the specifics up to Nightgaun7, who pre-approved the concept of this usage of the spell.
    No minor action this time, and nothing to save against at end of turn.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2014-11-04 at 01:01 AM.

Current games list

26. - Top - End - #446

Sathris

Suffering as much from the blinding light to his sensitive eyes as the shock of electrocution, Sathris spins his cloak into the air with a distracting flourish and dives into the captain's cabin. Once inside, he quickly presses his back to the wall next to doorway and waits for his vision to recover. He tightly clutches a knife in his hand, but decides he doesn't trust his senses enough to risk hitting an ally by mistake.

Show

Sathris Turn 5 (I think...)
    Start: V11

Minor: Shadow Feathers
    Effect: Gain Total Concealment until end of next turn or until I attack.

Move: Walk to Y11
    Stealth: (1d20+20)[31]

Standard: Second Wind
    Spend 1 Surge: (+16 health, 5 surges remaining)
    +2 Defenses UEoNT

End: Y11

Last edited by Gavran; 2014-11-06 at 08:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

For a moment, as the lightning arcs through his brain, Unit DEN-10 sees visions:

A sea drow priestess communing, not with the slain Lolth, but a Great Old One deep in the ocean abyss.

Hakka, badly wounded, being chased by a hunting bolt from which he cannot hide.

The Black Citadel, which guards the sea approach to Great Hope, wrenched from this world to the Plane of Darkness, with sea drow spearmen patrolling the battlements and the ozone reek of Outsider magic permeating the air.

Kriv and DEN back to back, standing over their fallen teammates, grimly fighting as the dark elves press in.

Chainpearl, a mobile factory fortress, arising from her hiding place on the seafloor, and in the dark recesses inside her armory, row after row of red eyes begining to glow, as three battalions of her warforged begin to awaken.

Sathras leading the team into an underwater tunnel, black as ink but somehow familiar.

Great Hope's assault on the Black Citadel, with a vast fleet marshaled offshore and regiments landing through the surf.

A black double door carved with necromantic signs which seem almost homelike and comfortable, compared to the madness and horror of the eldritch Thing that lurks behind the obsidian altar inside.

The electrical burst drains away, and with it DEN's visions of what was to come...