New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] A City Alone IC I

Viktor

The paladin looked at the man, and smirked. "Some fear the storms, but thunder is the voice of my god. The rain is his embrace. The wind is his breath. It is only in the storms of life that we find our true selves. A blade untested or a muscle unflexed is a waste." Viktor smiled, and looked into the storm.
    Currently Playing:
    Rikard Loghaine in [4E] Grandpre Academy

Antivian Qualinyr in [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell

Avatar by the talented and generous Grinner!!!!

Check out this awesome website for D&D, MTG, Anime, Music, Movies, and more!!!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Hakka endears himself to the crew by voluntarily standing watch. As he perches next to what seems to be a different kenku, he sees the Swiftwing readied for the storm, canvas coming in and hatches being sealed before the rain and wind sweep over the ship. The bow knifes into the rising waves, and the occasional burst of spray wets the crow's nest.

Rakaydos prepares his mind for whatever challenges may come on the morrow.

Beneath him, Sathris wanders the ship but overhears nothing of particular interest. Whether there's nothing interesting or the crew is keeping quiet around strangers, who can say?

Unit DEN is informed that the trees are not domesticated, that the fallen trees will be carried away, and that there is no small map of an island to the northeast available.

Viktor sits on deck as the storm rushes on. He revels in the water drenching the ship, the noise of wood and rope creaking under strain, the rare crack of lightning. He feels better than he has in a long time in this moment, his brooding ceased for a few short hours as he meditates on the mysteries of faith.

Kriv chats with Grigor and the crew in the crowded main deck, dodging swaying hammocks and laughing uproariously at some new joke. Grigor is quite the wit, he recalls, though perhaps he was more than one sheet in the wind - he can't quite remember what was so funny the next morning.

------

The Stormcrows rise before the sun is over the horizon. In the dim light a large black mass can be seen a mile or so away - the island they're to land on. Fortunately for general comfort, the storm seems to have passed in the night. The boat is soon lowered and loaded, with Stormcrows, sailors, Grigor, and craftsmen crowded aboard. Tyrian waves goodbye from the stern as the boat shoves off.

A few minutes of strong rowing gets the boat to shore. In the distance the Swiftwing piles on more canvas, her clean lines magnificent with the rising sun behind. The island contingent slosh through the shallow water and drag the boat up onto the beach, then take stock of their surroundings. A gravel beach extends a few hundred feet in either direction, with rocky outcroppings on either end. Grasses grow perhaps a hundred feet from the water, and shortly thereafter the forest begins. The island seems heavily wooded, with the exception of a small peak a few hundred feet tall off in the distance. A stream is running down to the water towards the right side of the beach, and the craftsmen set off for it. Grigor details two of the sailors to wait with the boat, then sets off after the craftsmen with the other two. A few seabirds wheel overhead in the morning mist, which is slowly burning off as the sun climbs in the sky.

Spoiler
    Show

Your mission is to aid and protect the craftsmen. The masts they will supply are vital to the navy and thus to the survival of Great Hope. How you choose to complete this mission is up to you.

Make any checks you think may be useful.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2013-12-12 at 04:05 AM.
    I have read a fiery gospel writ in burnished rows of steel

Former DM for "A City Alone" [4E D&D - IC, OOC]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv - [Tree Island]

Stepping from boat to land is a feeling Kriv still doesn't like, but he's gotten used to it over the years. After taking a minute to get his bearings, he smiles toothily as Grigor issues orders to the sailors. Kriv turns to take in his own team, determining how best they can assist and protect the craftsmen in this mission.

"Hakka, why don't you and Sathris scout around a bit in a spiral around the area. DEN - see if you can take watch near the lumberjacks - just in case anything from the island starts moving toward us." Kriv shields his eyes as he scans the horizon, then looks to Viktor and Draj.

"Draj, think you can possibly put together a portal between the beach and the camp, so that we don't have to haul things quite so far? Viktor - I think you and I are on logging duty for now, until something else comes up. See if there are some extra axes we could use to help the loggers get some of these trees down."

As everyone begins to move to their tasks, Kriv shouts out, "And keep an eye out for each other. We're here to help, but Grigor is in charge."
    Last edited by Meltheim; 2013-12-12 at 01:09 PM.

DM
    Terenuri: Map IC IC2 OOC3

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Draj casts a Divination, Reading the Omens to judge the next few hours. Should the whole party and crew simply explore for the next few hours, would they encounter -unnatural, fey, or elemental- threats to their stay? (basically yes/no, so I dont know what we would encounter)

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcana: (d20+20)[40]

EDIT: "Not unless you happen to have a ritual circle handy. I can empower a temporary circle, but only from one side- It's easier for me to sent the logs straight to the Black Citadale than to the beach."
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2013-12-12 at 01:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv - [Tree Island]

"Alright, in that case, simply keep your eyes open for any unnatural threats we might encounter." Kriv says, nodding in deference to Draj's expertise on rituals.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hakka the Hunting Spider

"Yes, commander," Hakka replies to Kriv with a nod, and then turns to Sathris. "Let us go."

The thri-kreen hunter readies his gear and accompanies Sathris in the scouting duty, moving carefully across the area.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

· First, I adopt the Aspect of the Lurking Spider stance, to get a +2 bonus on Stealth checks.

· Second, a Perception check to scout the area, using my Inquisitive Kit: (1d20+16)[21].

· And finally, let's start the scouting. I make a Stealth check using both footpads and camouflaged clothing: (1d20+19)[38] (33 if move more than 2 squares). Also, I use Ambush Expertise (a Wilderness Knack) to give Sathris a +2 bonus on Stealth.

Last edited by Wdwune; 2013-12-12 at 03:23 PM.
    Awesome Alderis Kashtar avatar by Meltheim
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by redzimmer View Post
    Bluff or diplomacy, the penalty's the same. (1d20-1)[1]
    Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    (1d3)[3] random rock

EDIT: We have a winner. The random rock

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Sathris

"I will call if we find trouble." Sathris tells Kriv, referencing a system of various animal noises that signal different situations.

The kenku moves after the hunter, their experience sneaking around together in past missions allowing them to cover up small mistakes and a good-natured rivalry inspiring them to be at their best.

Show

Keeping my modifiers explained since this is a bit crunchy.

Flock Effect: Next Aid Another grants +3 instead of +2.
    Aid Another (Stealth): (1d20+19)[33] (Auto-success)

To go unnoticed
    Stealth: (1d20+16)[22] (19 + 2 from knack -5 for moving more than 2 squares)

To notice potential threats or places/things of interest
    Perception:
    (1d20+5)[24](3 + 2 with Hakka's Aid)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Unit DEN

Quote Originally Posted by Meltheim View Post
    Kriv DEN - see if you can take watch near the lumberjacks[/COLOR]"
    Unit DEN correctly interprets this as an order rather than an inquiry and moves along with the men.

Spoiler
    Show
    Three rolls for Perception in case you need multiple rolls: (1d20+11)[13], then (1d20+11)[26], followed by (1d20+11)[27]
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Kriv, DEN, and Viktor accompany the craftsmen and Grigor along the river bank, walking slowly as the craftsmen examine the trees, trying to find the best for mast-use. The island is quiet and still. A few muffled seagull cries break the silence, and the only life present along the stream seems to be gnats that swarm in great clouds. Little light breaks through the heavy boughs of the tall trees along the stream.

Draj spends a few minutes on divination near the boat. He sees omens that signify woe paired with ones that herald a boon. He packs up his ritualistic tools and hurries after the cutting party to tell the others of his readings.

Hakka and Sathris move in a wide arc around the route the cutting party is taking. They see no inhabitants or enemies. There are some signs of animal life, but no animals to be seen. There is disturbed earth in a area with particularly tall trees. The pair come out of the forest near the right promontory, then head along the beach and up the stream after the others.

Spoiler: Hakka and Sathris
    Show

Hakka - Nature: (1d20+16)[10](26)
    Sathris - Nature: (1d20+3)[11](14)

Sathris' eyes see but don't realize the significance. Hakka, on the other hand, can tell that the disturbed earth looks like there was a tree uprooted relatively recently - but there's no fallen tree there. In addition, there are several places with the remains of what appear to have been feral pigs. They seem relatively fresh.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2013-12-13 at 03:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Hakka the Hunting Spider - Scouting the island

Hakka rises one hand indicating Sathris to halt.

"Here. Feral pigs," he whispers pointing at the ground. "Trees uprooted. Keep eyes open, one's going to check."

Hakka moves slowly, carefully scanning the area. He draws his searching tools to make his job easier as he attempts to uncover the tracks of any creature that passed through the zone.

Show

Okay, I'm using another Wilderness Knack called Wilderness Tracker:

Basically, I make a Perception check (DC determined by the DM) during a short rest to inspect an area as large as 10 squares on a side. If succeed, I determine the number and nature of the creatures that moved through the area within the past 24 hours. Also, I know where and when they entered, and when and where they left.
    · Perception (using the +2 bonus Inquisitive Kit): (1d20+16)[26]
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2013-12-13 at 02:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    And now see if a random rock on the ground with only a 3-sided dice can roll a better diplomacy.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Spoiler: Hakka
    Show

Only a true master could tell anything from the signs Hakka's seen so far. Luckily Hakka is just such a being.

Disturbed Earth - There are no tracks beyond the disturbed site, but there's a place where sticks and pine needles and so forth look as though something was dragged through them. This dragging appears to have been in the direction of the small rock knob in the middle of the island.

Wild Pigs - most of the pigs simply seem as though they've been killed by a large animal and partially eaten, but after close inspection the carcass of one shows signs of knife-use.

12. - Top - End - #42

Sathris

Sathris takes a cursory glance around the area with Hakka, but decides to leave the insectoid to his work. He crouches by the slain pigs and cuts a few strips of meat from the one that seems the least-touched. He hunkers down and idly watches the hunter work while he eats his scavenged snack.

"Find anything?"

13. - Top - End - #43

Hakka the Hunting Spider - Scouting the island

Hakka nods.

"Humanoids were here. They use knives to hunt pigs," he points one claw at the remains of the wild pigs. "Something dragged from here," he points at the ground, "to there, that rock," points to the center of the island, where a rock knob is standing. "Maybe log was dragged."

"Fresh pig corpses. We not alone," he says as he warily looks around, slowly changing his stance.

Show

I just revert to the Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx stance to get +4 Initiative, +2 attack on the first turn, and +5 defenses vs opportunity attacks for moving.
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2013-12-13 at 02:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Unit DEN

Perform terrain analysis of the area within 200 yards of the work party.
    Simulation: Postulate buccaneers quantity 19 attack via Route FUCHSIA and quantity 11 attack via Route BLOODROOT. Develop optimal response to simulated attack.
    Junior, half orc paladin of the Order of St Dale the Intimidator: "Ah cain't abide no murderin' scoundrel."

Tactical Precepts: 1) Cause chaos, then exploit it; 2) No plan survives contact with...(sigh)...my subordinates.

15. - Top - End - #45

Sathris

"We should return to the others and report what you've found."

After Hakka agrees, Sathris sets off toward the others at a hurried pace. They would have given some kind of signal if anything was wrong, but being away from the group made him uneasy.

-----------

Seeing the rest of the Stormcrows, Sathris quickly closes the remaining distance before speaking. "We found no one, hostile or otherwise. I was nearly ready to return when Hakka " He gestures appreciatively at the thri-kreen "noticed something unnatural about the ground."

"We made a closer inspection and found the fresh remains of several animals. One of the kills -" Well, two now
    he thought to himself -"seems to have been set upon with a blade. Hakka believes that this, and the impression that something dragged a tree away from the site towards the center of the island is evidence that we are not alone on the island. I suggest we instruct the civilians to keep close and remain wary."
    Last edited by Gavran; 2013-12-14 at 12:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv - [Tree Island]

Nodding in understanding, Kriv signals silently to DEN to increase his alert status and to prepare for hostiles. "Draj, you have anything defensive prepped today? If not, I suggest you think about it while we're here."

Kriv walks over to Grigor and shares the information that Sathris and Hakka imparted to him. "We need to keep the workers going, so as to get as much done as we can, but you should probably have your team prepare for an attack, possibly from that direction." Kriv indicates the rock knob in the distance.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Draj shakes his head. "Most of my defensive spells are best used against supernatural threats. Explosive Runes could be more dangerous to us than to a monster. And though I could make a ward even a dragon couldnt cross, but we wouldnt be able to cross it either. I could prepare some circles I could activate later, however- if we could draw something we cant fight into it and activate it, it should be contained. However, anyone still inside with it is lost to us."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

After Kriv tells Grigor the news, the half-elf quickly gathers the work crew to share the information with them. Eleven men gather in front of him. "Weren't there a dozen of you a minute ago?" The foreman does his own quick count, and tells Grigor and the Stormcrows that a man, Sven, is missing. Another of the men speaks up, "He was just 'ere a minute ago. Said 'e 'ad to relieve 'imself and went over there." The man points to a small copse perhaps a score of yards away.

The group hurries over. Sven is nowhere to be seen.

Spoiler
    Show

Viktor Perception (1d20+13)[14](27)
    Hakka Perception (1d20+14)[17](31)
    DEN Perception (1d20+11)[2](13)

I'm just rolling for the three highest in situations like this. If you aren't in whichever group of three is rolling but wish to do so anyways, feel free.

Viktor and Hakka, familiar with woods and wild, quickly pick up his trail. Sven's tracks seem shuffling and uncertain, headed in the direction of the rocky tor in the middle of the island. Hakka also picks up faint traces of some other being, but not enough to reveal its nature.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2013-12-14 at 03:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nightgaun7 View Post
    Viktor and Hakka, familiar with woods and wild, quickly pick up his trail. Sven's tracks seem shuffling and uncertain, headed in the direction of the rocky tor in the middle of the island. Hakka also picks up faint traces of some other being, but not enough to reveal its nature.
    Unit DEN

Pre-Battle Alert.
    Analysis.
    Workman Sven Not Taken By Force But Lured Or Charmed Or Confused.
    The Bogey Did Not Attack The Logging Party Or Even The Single Man By Force. Conclusion The Logging Party May Successfully Proceed To Shore If Crosscheck Procedures Ensure That None Of The Aged Or Weak Workmen Stray From The Herd.
    Recommend Stormcrow Team Engage Bogey And Retrieve Workman Sven.
    Combat Systems: Nominal.
    Javelin: Ready.

Unit DEN shift his gouge to his left hand, and readies his heavy javelin.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Draj growls at the remaining workmen. "I shall put up a ward that should protect you. However, once it us up, not even I will be able to bring it down, and you will be unable to leave yourself until sometime tomorrow." a small lie- it wouldnt go down on it's own, but the ship captian the Deva, or any Eladrin, could bring it down, and Draj knew a minor devil who still owed him a few favors, who could do the same. Either way, the woodsmen wouldnt die of exposure. "Grab what you will need to survive- food, fire, chamberpots, what have you. Our team will attempt to recover your companion."

He began casting another magic circle, wide enough to surround the woodsmen and their camp.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Circle vs Normal: Arcana (d20+20)[40] -10= level of creature which cannot enter.

Edit: Wow. There are minor Deities that couldnt walk through that shield.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2013-12-15 at 01:45 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Sathris

Sathris watches Draj complete his magic circle.
    "These men should be safe enough and can continue their work. Part of our mission is to discover if this island has the potential for further development. We should investigate immediately, even if Sven's life wasn't at stake."

Despite being fully convinced of his plan, Sathris paces back and forth rather than leave without the consensus of his allies.

22. - Top - End - #52

Hakka

The thri-kreen hunter's insectoid eyes carefully scan the ground as his antennae move slowly.

"Sven's scent all over here," he points at a direction. "Was dragged towards there, the center rock," he points at the rock knob's direction.

He turns to Kriv. "Commander. Clutch can take watch. Or one can quickly follow Sven," he touches his own chitinous chest with a forelimb. "Tracks still fresh. Orders?"

Show
    Basically, Hakka's offering himself to follow Sven with subtlety, or take watch to prevent further abductions.
    Last edited by Wdwune; 2013-12-15 at 12:44 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

"A watch is unnesisary- the woodcutters are not leaving that circle without supernatural assistance," Draj growls to Hakka. "Track him."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv - [Tree Island]

Clapping a clawed hand on Draj's shoulder, the Dragonborn says, "Good job Draj, that's the kind of defensive ward I was hoping for." Turning to Hakka, Kriv nods with Draj's assessment, "You go on ahead, but keep out of sight. We will follow behind at a safe distance."

Kriv relays orders to the others and nods to Hakka to begin his stealthy reconnaissance. He counts out a good amount of time, then signals to others to follow behind.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

With the work crew encircled the Stormcrows, along with Grigor and his sailors, set off after Sven. Hakka takes the lead and searches ahead. Sathris flits along some yards back, once or twice making quiet calls to Hakka. The others march along as quietly as possible, a ways behind.

Spoiler: Hakka
    Show

Perception (1d20+16)[2](18)
    Stealth (1d20+14)[13](27) (With +1 for clothing and footpads, +2 for Aid Another from Sathris, and -5 for moving more than 2 squares)

Let me know if either of these need to be modified.

Hakka is able to follow Sven's steps over the ground, though it gets harder closer to the tor in the middle of the island as the ground grows rocky and dry. The thri-kreen moves forward carefully but quickly, eager to find the missing sailor.

On the edge of a small clearing near the base of the tor, he sees Sven. Hakka's not quite fast enough, however, to catch Sven before he sees the man disappear into a small cave mouth. He does manage to catch a glimpse of some sort of shadowy, humanoid figure beckon the bespelled worker for a moment before it vanishes into the cave ahead of Sven.
    Last edited by Nightgaun7; 2013-12-15 at 05:04 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Hakka - Tracking Sven

"There," Hakka whispers at the others as he points at the entrance of the cave. "Sven entered, but not alone. Shadow creature got inside too."

He quickly and silently draws one of his crossbows, loads it with the lower forelimbs and aims at the spot where the shadowy figure was a moment ago. He crouches and slowly advances, never looking away.

Show

Posting some actions, just in case.

Free Action: Draw the Swiftshot Crossbow using Multiple Arms

Free Action: Load the crossbow

Minor Action: Adopt Aspect of the Pouncing Lynx stance

Move: Move 2 squares forwards and make a Stealth check (same modifiers): (1d20+17)[31]

Standard Action: Ready a Disruptive Shot
    · Trigger: After I see any shadowy creature (unless it's Sven)

EDIT: Also, I give +2 bonus on Stealth check to my allies in 10 squares.

Last edited by Wdwune; 2013-12-16 at 01:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Wow. Just. Wow.
    (1d3)[3] random rock

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Behind them, Draj growls impatiently at the bug man. "If we're going to get this done, lead on,"

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

Kriv - [Outside the Tor]

"Draw weapons men, keep your wits about you, and prepare for whatever may come."

Kriv unsheathes his longsword and unbuckles his shield, readying himself for battle.

DM

RP Characters
    Geth - Elf Monk

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Unit DEN says in a low voice, "Shine The Name, Shine The Name Of Eshiel Flame-of-God." He edges forward, weapon low and forward, ready to strike.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Behind them, Draj growls impatiently at the bug man. "If we're going to get this done, lead on,"
    "Let's not rush into this and die. There is no glory in a foolish death." Viktor stood quietly, his hands wrapped firmly around the hilt of his blade. It was a massive piece of steel, wrapped in leather and adorned with bones and teeth of fallen enemies.
    Currently Playing:
    Rikard Loghaine in [4E] Grandpre Academy

Antivian Qualinyr in [4E] Keep on the Shadowfell

Avatar by the talented and generous Grinner!!!!

Check out this awesome website for D&D, MTG, Anime, Music, Movies, and more!!!