New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony LXXIV: Hats Are Technology!

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Really? Her actual skills and talent is about inspiration and creativity, about envisioning beautiful "constructs" and making them real.
    Power Pony (Rarity)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inspiration and Creativity yes, but usually toward her passion for clothing. It might not necessarily mean she'll be good at building stuff in all mediums since some require skill use in tools I haven't seen her use (like carpentry tools as an example).

She just has an easy power here since it's just using imagination and the bracelets do most of the building for her. And she certainly had good imagination to use those bracelets! Fabulous cages those were.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #902

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    One problem I did have was...
    Spoiler: S4e6 Power Ponies
    Show
    As most other people mentioned, the ponies all seemed odd about their powers. Pinkie Pie being the fastest pony in Maretropolis, but Rainbow Dash doesn't challenge that? Rainbow Dash using her amulet to summon stormclouds, rather than just saying "Buck this!" and grabbing one directly? Twilight spending all her time trying to use freeze-beams rather than any of the dozens on potentially useful spells she probably knows?

The problem wasn't that, for instance, Rainbow Dash wasn't Filly-Second. Rather, it's that none of them even stopped for a moment to use their natural talents to compliment their powers (except Rarity and Pinkie, who quite fit) and it just came off as very unusual. Also, Applejack with a telekinetic lasso but never making use of that.

I did like it as a silly episode and as a good Spike-focused episode, though.

[EDIT] Oh, and I bet the artists were poking some fun at earlier seasons with having all the henchponies look exactly the same.
    Power Ponies!
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was thinking that the gals were somewhat savvy at this, believing not to try to use real world logic (or question logic at all) in a comic book world and just follow Spike's direction because he knew how this world worked better than any pony else.

Spike says you have this power, so you just have to use it.

Discussing that their powers were wrong or if they can even use outside abilities might have just come off as distracting from the story.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Power Pony (Rarity)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Inspiration and Creativity yes, but usually toward her passion for clothing. It might not necessarily mean she'll be good at building stuff in all mediums since some require skill use in tools I haven't seen her use (like carpentry tools as an example).

She just has an easy power here since it's just using imagination and the bracelets do most of the building for her. And she certainly had good imagination to use those bracelets! Fabulous cages those were.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is the point. She doesn't need skill as a carpenter, because the only thing required to use her powers is inspiration and creativity, and that is exactly what Rarity is good at. She can probably imagine lots of very beautiful furniture, even if she couldn't build it with her own hooves from actual wood.

I just think it was a less-than perfect choice of powers for Dash and Pinkie, compared to the rest of the gang, made even worse by the fact that Dash didn't protest and say "Whoa, wait a second, why am *I* not the fast one? That's so unfair!" Rainbow Dash would totally have said something like that in the situation, and if she had it would probably have fixed everything, but she didn't.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    Could you have phrased that any more condescendingly?
    Besides, just because the world is terrible doesn't mean it's an excuse for your behaviour.
    So? What you gonna do?

The only thing you can do is try and make me shut up. You wanna know what that is? That's putting a ball gag in my mouth, that's censorship.

You know what I really think? I think "feelings" are a choking groupthink mentality of oppression and tryanny. Sticks and stones is not a lesson I see far far far to many people never learned and they expect everyone else to toe the line instead. It is a direct frontal assault on free speech itself. That's not a bit of hyperbole either, I view it in exactly those terms.

And yes that important. I am At War with an entire way of thinking I will probably spend my entire life tearing at in a million ways to maybe not get there, ever.

Don't think its about you, you are completely "depersoned" within my mind, plus I highly doubt I'll get any concessions nor am I truly after them. Its about maybe just maybe sowing little seeds of doubt in anyone watching to shake up their little comfortable world. Lead them to the same realizations I've spent years putting together. And realize just how stifling things like "polite" really can be.

So they can one day realize that feelings are cheap-to-meaningless and start looking for those rare glimpses of actual substance and what we should all really be worried about.

I'll wait for his response first. Otherwise he's gonna accuse me of wanting to have the last word.
    I let you have it before didn't I? I'm in this for the long haul after all so its simple to do.

I might again even, I might not too.

(btw, personally I find the Ignore List here a bit incomplete since you still see posts presence though)

5. - Top - End - #905
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    So? What you gonna do?

The only thing you can do is try and make me shut up. You wanna know what that is? That's putting a ball gag in my mouth, that's censorship.

You know what I really think? I think "feelings" are a choking groupthink mentality of oppression and tryanny. Sticks and stones is not a lesson I see far far far to many people never learned and they expect everyone else to toe the line instead. It is a direct frontal assault on free speech itself. That's not a bit of hyperbole either, I view it in exactly those terms.

And yes that important. I am At War with an entire way of thinking I will probably spend my entire life tearing at in a million ways to maybe not get there, ever.

Don't think its about you, you are completely "depersoned" within my mind, plus I highly doubt I'll get any concessions nor am I truly after them. Its about maybe just maybe sowing little seeds of doubt in anyone watching to shake up their little comfortable world. Lead them to the same realizations I've spent years putting together. And realize just how stifling things like "polite" really can be.

So they can one day realize that feelings are cheap-to-meaningless and start looking for those rare glimpses of actual substance and what we should all really be worried about.
    You are clearly missing the point of the show this thread is for.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Pinkie's line went, as far as I remember...

Spoiler: Power Ponies
    Show
    Maretropolis Bakery is only sixty-five blocks away.
    I have a strange urge to apply silly math to that.

Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    One problem I did have was...
    Spoiler: S4e6 Power Ponies
    Show
    As most other people mentioned, the ponies all seemed odd about their powers. Pinkie Pie being the fastest pony in Maretropolis, but Rainbow Dash doesn't challenge that? Rainbow Dash using her amulet to summon stormclouds, rather than just saying "Buck this!" and grabbing one directly? Twilight spending all her time trying to use freeze-beams rather than any of the dozens on potentially useful spells she probably knows?

The problem wasn't that, for instance, Rainbow Dash wasn't Filly-Second. Rather, it's that none of them even stopped for a moment to use their natural talents to compliment their powers (except Rarity and Pinkie, who quite fit) and it just came off as very unusual. Also, Applejack with a telekinetic lasso but never making use of that.

I did like it as a silly episode and as a good Spike-focused episode, though.

[EDIT] Oh, and I bet the artists were poking some fun at earlier seasons with having all the henchponies look exactly the same.
    A rather obvious drama preserving handicap there it seems.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

And yet you just recently encouraged people to get angry when having discussions. Which one is it? Should they have feelings or not?
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2013-12-21 at 12:56 PM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

8. - Top - End - #908

Spoiler
    Show
    I just think it was a less-than perfect choice of powers for Dash and Pinkie, compared to the rest of the gang, made even worse by the fact that Dash didn't protest and say "Whoa, wait a second, why am *I* not the fast one? That's so unfair!" Rainbow Dash would totally have said something like that in the situation, and if she had it would probably have fixed everything, but she didn't.
    S4 Power Ponies
    Spoiler
    Show
    When Dash said "I'm already awesome", to me that meant she was secure in her abilities outside comic book world and was okay with what powers she was given inside. Insecure Dash might complain, but I personally think this Dash has grown a lot as a character and didn't need to worry about it.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

S4 Power Ponies
    Spoiler
    Show
    When Dash said "I'm already awesome", to me that meant she was secure in her abilities outside comic book world and was okay with what powers she was given inside. Insecure Dash might complain, but I personally think this Dash has grown a lot as a character and didn't need to worry about it.
    I might add

Spoiler
    Show
    ... Dash can still fly and Fillysecond can't.

And its not like they had a race.

Which is clearly the Supermare/Flash race event done in that comic universe occaisonally to be answered ever so slighltly inconclusively and argued about endlessly by the fans.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.deviantart.com/art/My-Lit...Pony-198650358
    I think I found one of examples for Power Ponies as Nineties Anti Hero.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

S4 Power Ponies
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't say it's about insecurity. It could very well have been a lighthearted, teasing protest. Mild surprise, not insecurity. The purpose is to acknowledge it, to point out that not only we but Dash and her friends too are surprised that super speed didn't go to the speedster. To show that it was a conscious choice by the writers, something they actually intended to use for comedy or some other reason, and not just a random and slightly awkward choice.

12. - Top - End - #912

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    My Brain.
    Spoiler
    Show

You win this round, t109.

Spoiler
    Show
    I wouldn't say it's about insecurity. It could very well have been a lighthearted, teasing protest. Mild surprise, not insecurity. The purpose is to acknowledge it, to point out that not only we but Dash and her friends too are surprised that super speed didn't go to the speedster. To show that it was a conscious choice by the writers, something they actually intended to use for comedy or some other reason, and not just a random and slightly awkward choice.
    Power Pwnies
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Pinkie certainly had several comedic moments with her super speed (One of my faves was splattering that sundae on the one mook so that it formed a frowny face).

I guess... I just didn't see the need for the dialog as it didn't seem awkward to me (Super speed went to the hyperactive one).
    Digo Dragon - Artist

13. - Top - End - #913
    Banned

My Brain.
    Spoiler
    Show

You win this round, t109.
    That was so amazingly awful. I laughed for a full sixteen seconds. t209, I have two gifts for you: a ginger snap, and removal from my ignore list.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-12-21 at 01:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Power Pwnies
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Pinkie certainly had several comedic moments with her super speed (One of my faves was splattering that sundae on the one mook so that it formed a frowny face).

I guess... I just didn't see the need for the dialog as it didn't seem awkward to me (Super speed went to the hyperactive one).
    Spoiler
    Show
    They had fun with the powers, but not with the choice of powers. Why this choice for Pinkie and Dash? They didn't do anything with that, not even one 3-second comment. It could have been as simple as Dash saying "Seriously? That's so random," and rolling her eyes when Pinkie showed off her power.

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Heh heh heh.

Though I think this one better captures the real spirit of the not-art.

Edit:

Man I can't stop laughing at the gif from the episode

Spoiler
    Show

She's a Mane-iac, MANE-IAC!

On The Floor!
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2013-12-21 at 01:46 PM.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    They had fun with the powers, but not with the choice of powers. Why this choice for Pinkie and Dash? They didn't do anything with that, not even one 3-second comment. It could have been as simple as Dash saying "Seriously? That's so random," and rolling her eyes when Pinkie showed off her power.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And... where did they comment on what powers anypony else got? I just don't see any of them is any less (or more) arbitrary than any other.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

17. - Top - End - #917

Though I think this one better captures the real spirit of the not-art.
    YEAH!
    Spoiler
    Show

Man I can't stop laughing at the gif from the episode
    Haha, I must keep that one. :D
    And now that song is stuck in my head.

That was so amazingly awful. I laughed for a full sixteen seconds. t209, I have two gifts for you: a ginger snap, and removal from my ignore list.
    "Amazingly Awful" is probably the best way to describe it.
    I don't have any ginger snaps to give out though, but I have half a pickle.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

18. - Top - End - #918
    Titan in the Playground

On second watch ...
    Spoiler: Power Ponies
    Show
    ... it was a pretty good episode after all. I was definitely mistaken about that last scene with Pinkie and the cupcakes, which is good to know. Correcting that helped a lot, though I still think they could have done better with Pinkie/Dash (there's even an obvious pun in Dash/Flash). Though I suppose it's not a big deal, and I love the name Filly Second. Seeing Pinkie run around like that, she just looked so damn happy too, it's hard not to like her. I bet she had so much fun.

I must admit too, that Fluttershy's rage was brutally awesome. I had to watch it several times. Edit: Even though the cause of it and the build-up to it was a bit meh.

So I'm upgrading my verdict to: Very nice episode.
    Last edited by Deadly; 2013-12-21 at 02:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright. Finally have an opportunity time to watch the episode. Time to give you people my absolutely irrelevant thoughts, that no one will read anyways! (Should anyone try and post that he or she actually did read them, he or she will be keelhauled. You have been warned.)

Spoiler: Episode Thoughts
    Show

Wow. Nice animation right off the start.

Heh. Guess Maniac's original supervillian name used to be the 'Red Hoof'! Get it? Cause, it's like the joker, only with ponies and yeah I'll shut up now.

Spike, you are the last guy to go around complaining about useless sidekicks.
    Though I suppose that's the joke.

They're gonna fix the castle? Huh.

Always nice to see Pinkie break some more laws of physics through the power of hyperactivity.

Who even creates all the random and extremely dangerous magical stuff that just keeps appearing everywhere around Equestria?

Spike, either you've become incredibly genre-savy right now or a psychic.

Holy Adam West era Batman reference, My Little Pony! I like it.

Well, that was a sudden introduction to the premise. Not sure whether I like it or find it cheap.
    Same applies to Mane-iacs voice.

I see she visited the Mister Freeze school of punning. Beautiful. I am sincere about that.

Who's a silly pony? You is, Applejack!

Well, Fluttershy is the Hulk. I don't think there's anyone who didn't call that.

'What's an attack construct?' nominated for new 'How do I shoot web?'

Starting to like Mane-iacs voice.

This episode definitly does not disappoint in the giggles-category. It's quite funny.

A shampoo parlor. Long live the camp!

You'd think somepony wearing glasses would have the good sense to stay out of a fight.

'My hair!' had me in stitches, not gonna lie.

I never got how these Superpower suppressors were supposed to work.

Camp-levels rising.

Dear goodness. Her metaphors are worse than Chin Crimson's.

......Powered up Fluttershy is terrifying. Liefeld has returned to haunt us all.

Oh my god. They did this whole episode just so they could do that Powerpuff Girls reference, didn't they?

Well, considering that Batman was part of the Superfriends, Spike's words are literally correct.

That resolution was a tad bit lame. But eh, I'm not bothered too much by it.

Well, that was a nice episode. Just enough sillyness mixed with some nice fight scenes. A few failings on the plot here and there, but I could enjoy it nontheless.
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Have Trixie kicking flank! With style!
    Spoiler: This is not a spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Very interesting. Is this based on anything in particular?

22. - Top - End - #922
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    "The Great and Powerful Trixie demands that you CRY SOME MORE! AHAHAHAHA!"
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

23. - Top - End - #923

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    "The Great and Powerful Trixie demands that you CRY SOME MORE! AHAHAHAHA!"
    When this popped up in my DA watch list, it was right next to another entry of Mafia Octavia from the Mafia Ponies Tumblr. Looking at those two images side by side made my brain play Weird Al's "Trigger Happy" song.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

Very interesting. Is this based on anything in particular?
    League of Legends, apparently

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It suggests that Rainbow Dash's special talent is being a weather pony, not being an ultra-fast flier despite that being what earned her her cutie mark and the weather thing just being her job.

It also completely ignores that Pinkie already has a "super power" (predicting the future) in order to give her yet another one (the ability to move with a speed which is practically equal to teleportation). Notice at the end that she says she went and got those cupcakes in the span of a few seconds. So Pinkie is now able to effectively teleport more efficiently than Twilight.

I've never subscribed to the idea that Pinkie's physics-breaking powers are a real thing, as opposed to just a comedy thing. I think it is utterly lame, but sadly some of the writers at least seem to run with it.

They could have made Pinkie a Power Pony with the ability to predict the future, or with powers of chaos and confusion, while Dash would have lightning speed and lightning power. That would have made much more sense.
    New episode

Spoiler
    Show

Pinkie being the Flash clone is because of her super duper hyperactivity and her endless supply of energy. I don't think it has anything to do with who's the fastest in Equestria.

26. - Top - End - #926
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Power Ponies
    Spoiler
    Show

And besides, We've seen Pinkie easily catch up with Rainbow Dash several times - Griffon the Brush Off and Party of One spring to mind.
    Now I'm thinking with ponies!

3DS friend code:
    2449-5207-9736

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

YEAH!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, I was going to say about Snow Flake to be a perfect Nineties Power Ponies. Just need pouches and guns.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

28. - Top - End - #928

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    New episode
    Spoiler
    Show

Pinkie being the Flash clone is because of her super duper hyperactivity and her endless supply of energy. I don't think it has anything to do with who's the fastest in Equestria.
    Power Ponies
    Spoiler
    Show
    That's likely the case. Dash being the weather manipulator makes sense too since it's her job back in Ponyville. Whatever the reasons, I'm fine with it.

Can't wait to see this one again when I get 22 minutes to do such.

Well, I was going to say about Snow Flake to be a perfect Nineties Power Ponies. Just need pouches and guns.
    He looks like he's got the "guns" already covered. :3
    Digo Dragon - Artist

29. - Top - End - #929
    Firbolg in the Playground

Watch -> Ramble you know the deal

Spoiler
    Show
    Complete misfire of an intro, seemed bogged down in describing something for later in detail so we can pretend it all makes sense.

PP's cartoon run animation gets recycled! Joy!
    Of course apple painting.

Congratulations Spike, you're the new humdrum.

For someone who reads comic books, Spike has a tenuous grasp on how often plots are resolved in one issue (NEVER)

Tea and biscuits huh? Did Rarity become British at some point?

You think they'd *start* with the roof before cleaning everything.

Theory: the latent magic in the castle is just troll-princesses rubbing off on the place.

Appropriate "Whee!" is appropriate.

Rarity is no long most melodramatic. It is the end of days.

So Pinkie -> Flash
    AJ -> Wonder Woman (first bondage joke took all of about 10 seconds)
    Twilight -> Blue Beetle? I'm getting a Blue Beetle vibe (she's just only using ice for some reason though)
    Dash -> Storm
    Fluttershy -> Hulk
    Rarity -> Green Lantern
    Spike -> Aquaman

Did someone put Mane-iac's eye derp to Catgroove yet?
    Tornadoes. How do they work.
    Well this is pretty much what Rarity-lantern would do.
    Also Rarity logic. Cape = super powers.

The artists are having waaaaaaaay too much fun with this. I approve.
    And the script writers.
    And everyone in the crew that hates Spike.

Hmm. Odd. These henchmen are actually moderately good at their jobs.

Completely hair-themed super villainy. You know what yes. Getting a perm should be required for all doomsday guns.

Wait, isn't that the first actual real whinny used in the show?
    OH NO YOU DIDN'T. That would get you beaten down even with regular-shy

Ladies and gentlemen, turns out Snowflake is afraid of butterflies because he's a comic reader.

"The house of enchanted comics" Enchantments + Comics. All shops must sell two things that are not closely related.

Verdict:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In character, with appropriate powers, good jokes, visually fun.
    9/10 Quite delightful, would watch again
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    'Dats one crazy dame d'ere let me tell you.