New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Artifacts of Shianna II

As the roots twist around my legs again, I hack them apart and continue running to Emerald, completely oblivious to what the dryad is saying to the rest of the party. When I get to the her tree a moment later, I wind up and take a massive swing that severs the branch around her neck in two.

As she falls, I catch her to make sure she's okay. "I've got you, Emerald." I would try to heal her, but I've got bigger problems: I turn towards the dryad and brandish my sword.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex save, before I write the rest of the post:(1d20+4)[5]
    Rolls from the OOC:Attack 18 and damage 17 on the roots around me.
    Move action to run over to Emerald.
    Hero point for an extra standard action, which I use to cut her down (attack 22, damage 22)
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2014-03-03 at 03:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"It is not my lust for death that I am endulging in. It is my duty to destroy my enemies. You cannot hide it, I sense the aura of evil you people have brought with you." She gestures toward the area where Killian, Ariana, and Emerald are fighting the forest still.

Velka's spell is still active, meaning that she is very likely telling the truth.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Seeing that Killian was preparing to engage the dryad, Wallel points at the paladin, then at the dryad. He draws his dagger, then throws it down upon the ground to tell everyone to calm down.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2014-03-03 at 04:06 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Emerald falls from the tree branch to the ground when Killian slices the branch in two. Killian catches her gracefully. She is coughing viciously and is trying to regain her breath.

The dryad is stunned at Killian's actions. "He...He saved her. He cares for her." She looks at the faces surrounding her with a confused, defeated, and embarrassed look.

With a wave of her thin, wooden hand, she dismisses the forest's assault. The roots and branches retreat from the party to nestle in their natural state among the wild. The roots that ensnared Ariana releases her, leaving her lying on the ground.

"Perhaps I have misjudged you. An agent of Shianna would not care enough for others to risk their lives for them.

Please accept my apology, friends. One can't be too careful against dangers during these darkening days."

5. - Top - End - #275

BlueKnightGuy

Picking up his dagger and wiping it upon his shirt, Wallel returns it to his belt. He looks to Velka and makes a sort of... whoosh gesture at the party?

Spoiler
    Show
    He's trying to request a healing Channel Energy for those hurt by the vines.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sigh, sorry about that. I got ninjaed.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Falcon777; 2014-03-03 at 04:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps I have misjudged you. An agent of Shianna would not care enough for others to risk their lives for them.

Please accept my apology, friends. One can't be too careful against dangers during these darkening days."
    I narrow my eyes in a glare. I don't know if I believe that. She was just trying to kill one of us, and she expects it to just be fine? She's probably going to kill us anyway. Or, at least, she'll try. I could probably charge her from here...

But, if she still wanted us dead, she wouldn't have let us go. As long as we get out of here with the Soaring Eagle, I couldn't care less whether she lives or dies. And, as satisfying as it would be to get revenge for attacking us, I need to stay focused on the bigger picture. And that starts with getting the airship and getting out of here.
    I sheathe my blade and try to act friendly. "I understand. I would have done the same."

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check, because that's a total lie: (1d20+3)[23]
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2014-03-03 at 04:22 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The dryad fearlessly moves directly up to Killian with a gliding walk. She looks at him in the eyes with her brown, wooden dryad-equivalent for eyes and actually starts sniffing the air around him. "It was a misunderstanding. I detected, and still detect, a great, dark, corrupt evil about you. Now that examine closer, I sense that you are actually, deep down, a valiant, noble, and honorable warrior." She pauses slightly, then finishes with a moderate bow, "Again, I ask that you please accept my apologies."
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2014-03-03 at 04:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana pulls herself up, gives Killian a look, and says, "Okay, what is she talking about? I'm not having another doppelganger situation."
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2014-03-03 at 05:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

"Okay, what is she talking about? I'm not having another doppelganger situation."
    I respond with confusion. "I'm no doppleganger. But I don't know what she's talking about... That's an excellent question." I turn to the dryad. "What are you talking about?"
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2014-03-03 at 05:43 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281

BlueKnightGuy

Walking over to the others, Wallel looks between Killian and the dryad, hoping for one of the two to give an explanation.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

I look between Wallel and Ariana. "I really don't know what she's talking about. Me? Evil? When have I ever done anything evil? Ever!? Also, need I remind you that less than a minute ago she was trying to kill you?" I don't seriously think they're about to side with this dryad, but it could happen, especially with the kind of luck we've been having today.

Spoiler
    Show
    No bluff check required.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana glares at Killian and says, "That's almost exactly what the doppelganger impersonating Caderyn said. Who's to say our enemies are not smarter now, and took out the person who can detect evil at a whim? We can't trust you, now."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    "I really don't know what she's talking about. Me? Evil? When have I ever done anything evil? Ever!? Also, need I remind you that less than a minute ago she was trying to kill you?" I don't seriously think they're about to side with this dryad, but it could happen, especially with the kind of luck we've been having today.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Don't fool yourself Killian. You know exactly what evil she is referring to.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't fool yourself Killian. You know exactly what evil she is referring to.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It wasn't evil! I did what I had to do for the greater good. If I hadn't, the zombies might have found the Soaring Eagle already, and then where would we be?

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Ariana glares at Killian and says, "That's almost exactly what the doppelganger impersonating Caderyn said. Who's to say our enemies are not smarter now, and took out the person who can detect evil at a whim? We can't trust you, now."
    I recoil visibly. "Ariana! I'm hurt, but, I see where you're coming from. If I were you, I'd want to make sure. However, there is one thing that we didn't put to use last time: Velka's Zone of Truth. Not only would I not bring it up if I didn't want to prove my trustworthiness, but I'd like you to cast it on me right now so we can get this settled and continue with our mission. Do you have another one prepared?"

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Velka's Zone of Truth is still active from the previous casting. He directs the effect onto Killian.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

I look at Velka as he transfers the aura across. "Is it on me? Good."

I raise my right hand and take out my holy symbol of Boldrei with my left."I, Killian Deckard, swear on the grace of the Sovereign Host that I have never committed an Evil act, nor do I possess an Evil alignment."

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    I raise my right hand and take out my holy symbol of Boldrei with my left."I, Killian Deckard, swear on the grace of the Sovereign Host that I have never committed an Evil act, nor do I possess an Evil alignment."
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is a dark, annoyed, agitated growl inside your mind.

It is not. Yet. Time...

And then there is silence.
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2014-03-03 at 08:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana considers for a moment and says, "And? If you were an assassin on the level of that Doppelganger, I'm sure you'd have access to one of the myriad ways to circumvent a Zone of Truth. Quite frankly, not one of us can trust you. However, I'll give you one chance: tell me something only the real Killian would know."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm trying to come up with something on the spot to possibly save my life, so I start to panic a little. "Like what? The earliest thing I can remember from our time together was... when we first found Emerald in Perlexia, I remember you two were hiding out in the top of the church steeple, but you jumped out when it started to burn and barely made the landing.

You remember that, right? If I was a doppleganger, there's I'd never think to ask that, and there's no way anyone could do an impersonation for that long. And even if they did, they would have had plenty of other opportunities to betray us."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana still looks at him suspiciously and says, "And? You might not have been with us that long, but I'd bet anything that Grimnosh has been watching us from the very beginning...Tell me about my past."

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

"Tell me about my past."
    "Your... your past?" I start to stutter. "I remember, uh, you and I were sitting outside Korth. That was when we met Rossalaureonix or however you say his name. You told me that you hated the undead, but you didn't... say... why.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Rossalucharonelsix, you scrub!" says Rossalucharonelsix from a nearby tree.

Then the dryad speaks before Ariana can continue.

"I wouldn't be so hasty to throw accusations at your friends, girl." The dryad casually says to Ariana. "Not when you have a darkness about you, as well.

It isn't as apparent as Killian's, I must say, but it is there nonetheless. Your aura has...the opposite effect as his. Killian appears dark and twisted on the outside, but deep down inside he has a pure soul.

You, on the other hand, appear like a woman with a tremendous amount of strength and courage. But deep down inside you, I see...."
    her voice trails off and she looks around her immediate surroundings as if your soul was on display before her very eyes.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana nods at the dryad and says, "I know. There is a long and tragic story as to why, which Killian has touched on." She nods at him and says, "I'm confident you're the real you."

25. - Top - End - #295

BlueKnightGuy

The silent elf looks on with minor annoyance as the others bicker amongst themselves instead of giving an explanation.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Emerald has gathered enough strength to stand again, and approaches the conversation. She nods in agreement with Alimov, especially in regards to the dryad's last remark about Ariana.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana notices Emerald's and Alimov's looks of annoyance, sighs, and says, "I suppose everyone needs to know, now, at this point. I was undead for a while." As she says this tears come to her eyes at the memory and she continues angrily, "Happy?"

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

"I suppose everyone needs to know, now, at this point. I was undead for a while." As she says this tears come to her eyes at the memory and she continues angrily, "Happy?"
    I can't have heard right. "Woah, woah. Wait- wait, you- what?!"

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Emerald looks confused, stunned, and worried for a moment. Then she grabs Ariana by the shoulders with and says, "Look. Whatever happened while you were...dead...wasn't you, right? I mean, just like how Hawk's soldiers weren't willing to obey his commands, the undead creature that was in your body wasn't Ariana. Right? You have a mind of your own, and you are a good friend that has saved my life. I don't care what kind of dark core or whatever the tree lady may believe you have, but... I know that you are a good person. You should too, Ariana."

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana smiles sadly when Emerald grabs her, and says, "But...it was. Why do you think I'm back to being alive? I was compelled by magic, but...I was still me. I saw...I felt...every atrocity I was forced to carry out. It was only when a group of clerics came and wiped out the cultists that that raised me was I able to beg for a second chance."