New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Artifacts of Shianna II

Hearing the girl crying, Wallel knocks gently on the door. He can't exactly give a speech or anything for emotional support, but he can let her know that everybody's alright... or will be.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Outside the room, Ariana whispers to the Mage-Knight, "Please, wait here. Ignore everything you hear, and if anyone comes out of this door without saying 'I am the cynical Aundarian', kill them. Even if it's me...especially if it's me."
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2014-01-06 at 12:05 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

I address the prisoner sternly. What was that phrase? Ah, right, "good cop, bad cop". We didn't need a good cop anyway.

I pull out my silver sword and rest it across my shoulder while addressing him. Given that he was found torturing Cadeyrn, I'm looking for an excuse not to kill him where he stands, so I cut to the chase. "Sit. Now. I don't want you pulling any tricks. You've got some explaining to do. You'd better get talking. Or else."
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2014-01-06 at 10:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Killian:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ryol stops at the small table in the center of the room and picks up an apple from the tray of food given to him. He cleans the apple on his shirt as he looks at you with focused eyes. "Now, you really won't have to beat anything out of me because I'm perfectly willing to talk." He says as takes a noisy bite out of his apple. He continues talking with his mouth full, pausing occasionally to chew or take another bite,"You will find- that- your friend Cadeyrn isn't exactly everything- you expected him to be. Everything I did to that man- is no less than what he deserves!"

Ariana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Mage-Knights discuss the situation briefly before letting you in, then one of them clears you to enter the cell with the doppleganger. "We are here is you need assistance."

You enter the room. The ghostly, gray, natural form doppleganger is sitting in the center of the room, cross-legged and silent. The moment you enter, he opens his eyes to meet with yours, and he stands up in one, fluid motion without breaking eye contact.

Alimov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After a few moments, Emerald slowly opens the door. Her face is wet with her tears, her eyes are wide with fear, and she is brushing her arms with her fingertips.

She looks up at you with her dazzling green that are sparkling because of her tears. She is fighting to keep herself from crying. You have only ever seen the girl in this emotional state once before.

She stumblingly walks over to her bed and sits on the edge of it. She isn't shaking or making any noise, but tears are freely falling out of her eyes.

"Alimov, wha...wh-...what-..." She seems to be trying to say something, but she is breathing hard and can't get the words out.

5. - Top - End - #95

BlueKnightGuy

The silent elf stepped awkwardly into the room. Comforting and reassuring people wasn't exactly his specialty, but the girl seemed like she could use some good news. Pondering how best to communicate what happened, Wallel walked over to one side of the room. He passed a hand over his face and changed to an angry expression. He set down his Sap sideways on the floor in front of him, and stepped over it to indicate a boundary. He passed his hand over his face again and made a happy face. He turned and make a motion like locking a door, with the Sap acting as a placeholder to show where a door was. Stepping back over, he threw arms up in mock fury and silent shouting. Crossing back over, Wallel made a motion of helping someone walk, then pointed towards the tavern area of the inn and made a motion like he was eating. Wallel gave a thumbs up to finish the miming that Cadeyrn was okay and the imposter was captured, then picked up his Sap and returned it to its usual place at his belt.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana unflichingly meets the doppelganger's gaze. She says, "Hello. I'm here to interrogate you. Let's start with an easy question. What is your name?"

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Ryol stops at the small table in the center of the room and picks up an apple from the tray of food given to him. He cleans the apple on his shirt as he looks at you with focused eyes. "Now, you really won't have to beat anything out of me because I'm perfectly willing to talk." He says as takes a noisy bite out of his apple. He continues talking with his mouth full, pausing occasionally to chew or take another bite,"You will find- that- your friend Cadeyrn isn't exactly everything- you expected him to be. Everything I did to that man- is no less than what he deserves!"
    "Oh, really? You mentally tortured Cadeyrn, to whom I owe my life, and you're saying he had it coming? You can see why I find that a little hard to believe. Given the state we found him in, I'm tempted to just execute you right now." Nevertheless, I step back and lower my sword, though I still don't put it away. "But what did you mean by him being not everything I expected?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Ariana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creature hardly moves, and answers your question without delay. "I go by hundreds of names. Which one would you like to know?"

Killian:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The man is a killer, which is- which is why I don't feel bad- for what I did to his mind."

Ryol watches your expression as he finishes talking, then sets his apple down. "Look, I could explain everything, or I could just insert the information directly into your mind, if you will let me." He raises his hand in a manner to tell you that he can, in fact, instantly transport the information directly into your mind.

Alimov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Emerald smiles and even laughs a little during your performance. Her mood goes sour again when you 'mention' that Cadeyrn is ok.

"Why....why am I still-" She takes a long pause to give herself time to come to terms with what she is about to ask. Her eyes widen in fear, as if asking the question was an evil act in itself.

She darts her gaze into your eyes, as if she is waiting for you to say something.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana sighs, and says, "Here, let me lay down how this is going to go. You will answer my questions truthfully and simply, and if you don't I'll burn your eyes out. So, guess which name I want from you."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Ariana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The creature assumes the shape of a familiar friend."Cadeyrn Erskine." He speaks the name using Cadeyrn's spiteful voice.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana sighs again, and says, "Fine then." She walks over to him, points her finger at his eye, and casts the Flamefinger application of Prestiditation.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2014-01-07 at 03:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

BlueKnightGuy

Wallel just gives an honest shrug in answer to Emerald's question. He as of yet had no idea what the enchantment on the dagger was, so he really couldn't explain why she survived.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

"The man is a killer, which is- which is why I don't feel bad- for what I did to his mind."

Ryol watches your expression as he finishes talking, then sets his apple down. "Look, I could explain everything, or I could just insert the information directly into your mind, if you will let me." He raises his hand in a manner to tell you that he can, in fact, instantly transport the information directly into your mind.
    "Oh no you don't. I saw what you did to his mind, and I don't want you messing around with mine. Say it out loud."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Ariana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Cadeyrn" rolls with the blast and catches his eye with his hands as he stumbles back.

This is the most angry you have ever seen Cadeyrn. "(several explicit elven curse words!) Do you really think that you can do worse than what the dragon will do to me if I talk?! He recovers from your minor spell, and is standing face to face with you now. "By all means, please kill me! You will be sparing me of my lord's fury!"

Alimov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Emerald remains silent for quite some time. You aren't entirely sure whether she wants you to leave her alone or if she has something else on her mind that she wants to discuss. Perhaps she is silent because you have no way to verbally communicate with her, and she feels awkward? On the other hand, perhaps you are a much better listener because of your inability to speak?

It is so quiet that you can almost hear a tear roll down her face.

Killian:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ryol drops his hands and sits down at the table in the center of the room. "It began when we were little children. He was practicing his magicks carelessly, like he always has. A stray bolt of energy blasted my pet puppy, who died instantly.

I exacted revenge on him. I gave him a beating that he will never forget."
    Ryol looked down at the ground, deep in thought. He was reminiscing back to the days of his childhood.

"I remember beating him so hard and long that I thought he had died....but then I just kept hitting him over, and over.

Am I proud of what I did to him? At the time, yes. I was exacting revenge against him. Today, however, I feel terrible for what I did, especially after he exacted his revenge for what I did to him..."

He pauses for a moment, preparing himself to follow up with his next words. He winced, shut his eyes tight, and balled his hands into fists as he spoke the words, as if they were actively cutting him.

"Last year he...murdered my baby sister, Shaera." He leans back in his chair, exhales slowly, releases the tension in his hands, and opens his eyes.

15. - Top - End - #105

BlueKnightGuy

Wallel pulls up a chair near Emerald and sits down. He gestures at the girl, then at one of his ears, then gestures at himself and zips his mouth shut. Whatever she has to get off her chest, it's not like he's going to go tell someone.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

"I will kill you. That is not up for review. What is, is how painful I will make your inevitable death. Tell me what I want to know, and I'll give you a quick and merciful death. Don't, and I scorch every inch of flesh from your body. Slowly. Now then, tell me about this dragon."

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Ryol drops his hands and sits down at the table in the center of the room. "It began when we were little children. He was practicing his magicks carelessly, like he always has. A stray bolt of energy blasted my pet puppy, who died instantly.

I exacted revenge on him. I gave him a beating that he will never forget."
    Ryol looked down at the ground, deep in thought. He was reminiscing back to the days of his childhood.

"I remember beating him so hard and long that I thought he had died....but then I just kept hitting him over, and over.

Am I proud of what I did to him? At the time, yes. I was exacting revenge against him. Today, however, I feel terrible for what I did, especially after he exacted his revenge for what I did to him..."

He pauses for a moment, preparing himself to follow up with his next words. He winced, shut his eyes tight, and balled his hands into fists as he spoke the words, as if they were actively cutting him.

"Last year he...murdered my baby sister, Shaera." He leans back in his chair, exhales slowly, releases the tension in his hands, and opens his eyes.
    I can't understand how this got out of control so quickly. I am literally incapable of comprehending why Ryol and Cadeyrn are ready to kill each other. I must be missing something important. "You deafened him in one ear, so he killed your dog. That's a disproportionate response, but it's not incomprehensible. But your dog died, so you beat him within an inch of his life and then some? That's ridiculous. But to take revenge for that, he killed your sister? That's even more absurd. And then, to avenge your sister, you tortured his mind for weeks on end. All because he lost his hearing in one ear." Then, just to make sure I'm not about to say something untrue, I use Detect Evil on him.

Spoiler: Assuming he detects as evil,
    Show
    I try to show him the error of his ways. "Don't you see how far you've come? This petty cycle of revenge has destroyed both of you. You've lost whatever Good you had left trying to continue an increasingly dangerous feud! Don't you see that this has consumed both of you?

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy, if applicable: (1d20+9)[24]

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Alimov: Emerald is silent for quite a long while.

Eventually, without a word, she decides to get up and leave the room. She Prestidigitizes the tears off her face, proceeds downstairs, sits at a table alone, independant from Cadeyrn, Velka, and Baranin, and orders a plate of food.

Ariana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I won't betray my Lord so easily. You must realize that you cannot defeat him, because he simply cannot be defeated. Not even an alliance of elves and dragons were able to bring him down. Kill me if you must...just know that in the end..." Cadeyrn shifts into his natural stoic and gray form, "...My death will be to serve him."

Killian:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (Ryol detects as Evil)

19. - Top - End - #109

BlueKnightGuy

Deciding that the girl wanted time alone, Wallel saw no reason to interfere further. Returning to his own room at the inn, he took some time to rest.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

At the doppelganger's words, she gasps, and her breath catches in her throat. She casts Scorching Ray at him in such a way that he would be alive for some time while he burned, and says, "Thank you. I know why, now," before backing out of the room, and saying, "I am the Cynical Aundarian," to the guards to confirm her identity.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cast of Scorching Ray: (1d20+5)[18]
    Damage: (4d6)[15]

21. - Top - End - #111
    Bugbear in the Playground

After finishing his drink, Cadeyrn saw Emerald coming back downstairs and sitting by herself. A pained expression came over him before he stood up and walked over to her table.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't make it to your picnic. Ryol must have hit me on the back of my head...and then the other guy took my place."

Cadeyrn sighed. "I don't know what that copycat did you to while he was acting like me, but I'm glad that you are safe. Perhaps we still might be able to make it to a picnic again....?" Cadeyrn's voice trailed off at the end, the question hanging in the air while he waited in anticipation, a touch of worry showing on his face.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Killian:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ryol's face turns bloodshot red as he talks through his teeth in anger, "I don't care if this destroys me, because I'm never getting my sister back! She was too young for her soul to consent to the most powerful ressurrection spells I could afford! This man- Erskine- took her life! He doesn't even have a real family to call his own, so there is nothing- nothing- that I can do to exact revenge on him! Am I becoming a monster? Yes, I am. I fully admit that."

Ryol's temperment balances out slightly as he calmly exhales. "But at least I'm not as low as Erskine is."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Ariana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The guards let you out of the cell, but there are confused looks on their faces as they look to find the cause of the doppleganger's painful screaming.

Cadeyrn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "No."

That is the only thing Emerald says. She doesn't even look at you. She is staring blankly into her plate of food that a woman just placed in front of her.

There is a long, awkward and empty silence.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

Ryol's face turns bloodshot red as he talks through his teeth in anger, "I don't care if this destroys me, because I'm never getting my sister back! She was too young for her soul to consent to the most powerful resurrection spells I could afford! This man- Erskine- took her life! He doesn't even have a real family to call his own, so there is nothing- nothing- that I can do to exact revenge on him! Am I becoming a monster? Yes, I am. I fully admit that."

Ryol's temperment balances out slightly as he calmly exhales. "But at least I'm not as low as Erskine is."
    "Don't you see what this is doing to you? It's destroying you both! If you keep fighting, the only way it can end is with one or both of you dead, and where will you be then? You've spent your entire life in a fruitless cycle of revenge, and the only way out is to..."

I take a deep breath here, reluctant to insult one of my friends.

"to prove that you're the better man by being the first one to make peace. That's the only way for both of you to make it out of this conflict alive.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cadeyrn dropped his head and sighed.

"Oh. I...see. I'm sorry for bothering you then."

Cadeyrn stepped away from Emerald before going to the innkeeper to get a room. Once he had acquired one, he retired there.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana sees the shocked looks on the guards' faces, but walks silently out and returns to the Inn.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Velka sees that Caderyn is turned away by Emerald and that she clearly has a lot on her mind and that she could use a distraction."Baranin!", he pauses a moment to see if he has his attention, I have a friend who is in sore need of consolation. She had her eye on a particularly nice instrument. I am however, at this time, extremely short on funds. I was wondering if I could maybe call in a few favors and try to procure this instrument, and a few lessons how to play it, for her. If you could make this happen for me I would be extremely grateful, and indebted to you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+6)[20]
    "Stop or the bunny gets it"
    - ConAir

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek View Post
    "Don't you see what this is doing to you? It's destroying you both! If you keep fighting, the only way it can end is with one or both of you dead, and where will you be then? You've spent your entire life in a fruitless cycle of revenge, and the only way out is to..."

I take a deep breath here, reluctant to insult one of my friends.

"to prove that you're the better man by being the first one to make peace. That's the only way for both of you to make it out of this conflict alive.
    Ryol says nothing to this. He clenches his fists and narrows his eyes. The Mage-Knights realize this, and ask you to leave to prevent the situation from escalating.

Velka: Baranin agrees with you. "Tell you what, cousin...you pick something out for her." Baranin hands Velka a pouch of 15 platinum coins.

Chapter 6
    The Council of Twelve

Spoiler
    Show

-That night, the group rests up and reaches experience level 4. Please post any updates of your character sheets on the OOC.
    -Don't forget to add two more Hero Points, one for a new level and one for a new chapter.

The rest of the week goes by rather uneventful, especially compared to the events of the previous few days. The weather is holding well, giving Aundiar a fair, cloudy sky for the remainder of the week. The temperature is dropping each day, though, marking the end of autumn and the beginning of winter.

The planned return trip to Karrnath is dwelling on everyones mind. With the thoughts of winter coming around the corner, the distasteful reputation of Karrnath's fiercely cold winters, the looming presence of Karrnathi necromancy, and the need to meet with the Council in the Karrnath's capital, Korth...it is all too easy to find something to enjoy in the fascinating city of Fairhaven until the time to leave for the Council arrives.

Emerald is as quiet as ever. The only other time she seemed this low was the day she was found at Perlexia. She is only saying a word or two to anybody that comes to talk to her, and smiles politely whenever she needs to. The only exception is when she is confronted by Cadeyrn. Whenever the man enters a room, Emerald manages to discreetly escape the room shortly after.

Alimov and Arianna spend some time identifying the magic gear obtained from Ryol and the doppleganger.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dagger is a +2 Blood Dagger. When this dagger deals damage, it collects a number of Blood Points equal to the amount of damage dealt. (Only raw dagger damage applies to this, as in the dagger's 1d4+2. Other bonuses, such as from Strength, do not apply to collecting Blood Points) The Dagger may hold up to 20 Blood Points. Upon activation as a minor action, this dagger may be used to activate one of two powers.
    -Its wielder may discharge any number of Blood Points to heal the wielder for a number of hit points equal to the number of Blood Points spent.
    -Alternatively, the wielder may discharge any number of Blood Points to increase the amount of damage this dagger deals on its next attack before the end of the wielder's next turn by the number of Blood Points spent. The dagger can not collect any Blood Points from an attack modified by this ability.
    (The Blood Dagger currently has zero Blood Points in it.)

The stone is a House Sivis Whisper Stone. The Stone may be used once per day to cast Whispering Wind as a 7th Level Wizard.

The Doppleganger's spellbook contains: Magic Missile, Sleep, Silent Image, Protection from Good, Identify, Alarm, True Strike, Ventriloquism, Touch of Idiocy, Mirror Image, Arcane Lock, and Blur.

Arianna's dreams are still haunted by Erandis Vol. They seem to be becoming more real. Vol's laughter, her smile, her touch...its almost as if she is actually there while you sleep. But everytime you wake up, she is nowhere to be found.

Though he does not know it, Alimov is being thought of. Somewhere out in the wilderness of Khorvaire, Syree Shianna's scarred face smirks in the moonlight as she learns a piece of extremely valuable information from a drow spy that recently infiltrated a House Medani headquarters building.

Joshua and Cadeyrn are even more inseparable than they were before. Instead of nesting inside Cadeyrn's pocket, the little fox insists on perching on his master's shoulders. The fox is constantly nibbling playfully at his best friend's ears and yipping as if announcing that he hasn't gone anywhere.

Killian is torn between two individual trains of thought regarding the newfound information about his friend, Cadeyrn. Was Ryol telling him the truth or lying? It was impossible to interrogate the man further, because the Aundairian Mage-Knights prevented it. A few days later, Killian learns that Queen Aurala decided to interfere with the matter personally, which ended in Ryol requiring to pay a mighty fine and his permanent banishment from Fairhaven.

The Queen also decided to interfere with the matter of the doppleganger. She was much more upset with this creature than she was with Ryol's crimes, and so had the doppleganger executed by hanging publicly only two days after he was taken custody from the College. The creature looks even more ghastly now that it is lazily floating in the air by its neck.

The real Headmaster Larin has taken control of his college once again. The Korranburg Chronicles are filled with reports about how the Headmaster is vigilantly hunting down and snuffing out any corruption within his College.

Anderyn D'Medani reports to Killian Deckard that his airship, the Glint of Silver, will be restocked and prepared for departure much earlier than expected, just in case the group wishes to leave for Korth ahead of schedule.
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2014-01-28 at 10:23 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Velka notices Emerald's steadily deteriorating social skills and keeps an eye on her. One morning at breakfast, after watching for 3 days where he barely sees her say more than 2 words at a time to any person, he walks up to her and says: Emerald. How would you like to go and buy some things? My friend Baranin and I have noticed your mood, and we decided we would like to help you learn how to play a musical instrument. I heard from the others that you had been to the store and saw a few things you liked but didn't get anything. Once we get you an instrument you like I will go out and find you a tutor so that you can get good at playing. I would help you myself, but where I grew up it wasn't a big thing to teach kids to play music (since we had better things like church and school to worry about) so I am sadly lacking in that department. He then turns and extends the offer to help with shopping to Killian, Wallel, and Ariana.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [the offer does not include Caderyn, as he has been the primary party member that Emerald has been hiding from.]
    Last edited by taurosking; 2014-01-28 at 02:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

For the days the rest of the party is resting, Ariana is nervous, never sitting still or resting. After the first nightmare, she tries to stay awake as much as she can, studying the Doppelganger's spellbook and, when that is exhausted, she spends as much time as possible in the library at the wizard's college, studying ancient dragon-marked lineages and fall of the house of Vol.