New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Artifacts of Shianna II

I too step in front of Emerald, so I'm shoulder to shoulder with Ariana in front of the girl. "And neither will I," I declare. "Not only is it morally wrong to sacrifice someone innocent in a doomed attempt to appease the enemy, but as Cadeyrn pointed out, doing so has also never been successful in history. Ever."

"Instead, let us examine the situation as it stands. While House Shianna is pursuing Emerald, they have been reluctant to start an all-out war. Therefore, it stands to reason that as long as we keep Emerald from them, they will not launch a full attack. However, if we hand her over, that might change. And as you,"
    here I gesture to all the collected council members, "correctly noticed, if they do start a large-scale war, we are ill-prepared to fight them off. Therefore, not only would it be immoral to hand over Emerald, but it would also be a strategic blunder that could cost us all our lives."
    Last edited by AttilaTheGeek; 2014-02-19 at 10:28 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Very well. We will not give up the girl." D'Tharashk announces in a surrender as he lets himself fall into his seat. Emerald sighs a relief.

"I still cannot recommend that we begin preparations for a war." D'Orien continues. "Given its proximity to Xen'Drik, House Shianna will know if we arrive to council with the elves of Aerenal."

"And given our proximity to open war already with Shianna, we can't afford not to call upon allies." D'Medani counters with a calm, fierce tone.

The Council members begin discussing individually among each other about which side to take, D'Medani and D'Phiarlan's or D'Orien, D'Kundarak, and D'Tharashk's side.

Lumaria D'Phiarlan then stands, "The Council's decisions are split. We shall put the matter to a Council vote. Should we seek military aid from other nations, such as the Principalities and Aerenal against Grimnosh and House Shianna? We have the Map of Shianna and know the locations of their Artifacts and with that, the only means capable of destroying Grimnosh. Some military support will give our heroes time to find the Artifacts and slay the beast."

Rutgar D'Kundarak stands to represent his side of the debate, "Or should we not foolishly dive into a new war so shortly after the Last War? We don't know the strength of House Shianna, which is frightening as is. But we do know at least a portion of the capabilities of Grimnosh, and the might of the Four Nations, regardless of the support from pirates and elven-witch allies, cannot stand up to him."

D'Phiarlan looks down at the group of adventurers in the center of the room,"Before we begin the vote, do you have anything else to add?"

D'Kundarak, D'Orien, and D'Tharashk exchange annoyed glances with each other at D'Phiarlan's latest advance, but patiently wait for Killian, Ariana, Velka, or Cadeyrn to say something and watch for anything to be written from Alimov.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana gulps nervously and says, "What about the dragons from when Grimnosh was defeated the first time? Surely most of them are still alive, and would not wish to see their old foe rise again."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

D'Phiarlan answers Ariana's question, "The dragons of Argonnessen believed that Grimnosh was dead just as much as we did. Even if we were on good enough terms to speak to them, they wouldn't believe us. Unfortunately, as it stands, speaking about what they believe to be a long-time dead rogue dragon would simply anger them, and we would be opening a third faction in this brewing war."

Out of reflex, D'Tharashk stands to counter D'Phiarlan's point. However, he finds that he has nothing to say as he holds a finger up in the air and narrows his thoughtful eyes. He slowly sits back down while nodding in agreement with D'Phiarlan. The Council is silent.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Bugbear in the Playground

Cadeyrn then spoke up.

"Is there any way to prepare for war without alerting Grimnosh to everything that we are preparing? The artifacts of shianna may be the only way to defeat him, but he is doubtlessly plotting strategies that don't involve his direct command or presence. Anything we can do to prepare for those possibilities without alerting him to our exact plans could at least give us the advantage of surprise. Otherwise searching for the rest of the artifacts post haste would probably be wise."

Joshua jumped back onto Cadeyrn's shoulder and yipped in agreement, as much as he understood.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Firbolg in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"I have nothing to add beyond what I've already said. If we do not begin to act, we will be unable to react as effectively when House Shianna inevitably makes a move," the silent elf stated via the communicative parchment. He wasn't much of a diplomat, so he'd leave the speeches to those more capable.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Naturally, we will do everything in our power to prevent Grimnosh from watching us. This very Castle, for example, is enchanted with several anti-scrying defenses. I can assure you that no scrying magic on Eberron will penetrate through the defenses this Council has to offer." D'Phiarlan explains.

Rutgar D'Kundarak of the Dragonmark of Warding nods in agreement with D'Phiarlan.

8. - Top - End - #188

Cadeyrn nodded.

"I figured as much, but it seemed worth mentioning. The only other thing I can think of is quick transportation to the next target. The sooner we can acquire the next artifact, the sooner we will be equipped for dealing with Grimnosh. If any of the council members could lend us such speed, I believe it would be greatly appreciated by all here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling for diplomacy (1d20+8)[14] I'm gonna go ahead and us a hero point here. If we can get Velka's father to teleport us to our next destination, it'll be faster action for us all.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

This time, Kindrex D'Lyrander stands up. The half-elf, in response to Cadeyrn's question, addresses D'Phiarlan, "I believe it is time to use it, Mrs. D'Phiarlan." she says.

D'Phiarlan seems like she is hit with a gentle rush of air, as if D'Lyrander's words physically pushed her subtly. "Are you sure, Miss D'Lyrander?"

"I am sure. These heroes have proven that they are more than capable of using it."

D'Kundarak fiercly jumps out of his seat in a rage. He slams two fists into his desk, setting loose a loud crack throughout the Council Chamber. "I object! This is a Council secret! We cannot risk using its powers like this! What if it would fall to the enemy?!"

"Calm yourself, D'Kundarak. The passing of these secrets are not yours to surrender. The choice is D'Lyrander's alone. Besides, these heroes have staved off not one, but two assassins to protect Emerald, and this can only aid them in their quest to obtain the Artifacts, after all."

Aliquin D'Orien waves a palm at D'Kundarak, indicating for the dwarf to calm his rage. Unhappy, D'Kundarak forces himself to sit. He knew this would be a futile argument.

After another minute of silent contemplation, D'Lyrander finally speaks again."Leave the acquisition to your transportation method to me, Mr. Erskine. See me personally after the Council meeting and I will provide you with not only the exact location of the Soaring Eagle, but a means to get her airborne again."
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2014-02-20 at 08:16 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

BlueKnightGuy

Wallel was surprised to hear that D'Lyrander had the location of the Soaring Eagle, but more so that she was willing to let them use it. For once, however, it was a pleasant surprise. The idea of having his own airship thrilled him, and the idea of piloting one was especially exciting. For now he quelled his enthusiasm and listened to see what the council's vote would be.

11. - Top - End - #191

Cadeyrn is stunned for a moment, his mouth hanging open and his eyes widening significantly. He then bows lowly.

"I am humbled by your generosity. Should you lend it to us, I will do my utmost to keep it safe and in working condition until and after the completion of our quest."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana just smiles happily and says nothing, while her internal monologue is mostly shouting YES! YES YES YES! on repeat.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Every Council member is given a moment to cast their vote and explain their reasoning one at a time.

Anderyn D'Medani begins the voting session with a thumb pointed up, indicating that he was supporting the decision to go to war. "House Medani once swore an oath to protect Galifar. Nothing will break that, not even an immortal dragon."

Rutgar D'Kundarak follows up, thumb pointing downward, indicating he was against going to war. "We are too weak as a nation. As my grandfather said at the beginning of the Last War, 'The best offense is a great defense.'. We hold the Sword of Shianna deep within the Mror Holds, and we can fend off any Shianna foolish enough to attempt a clash with the dwarven kingdoms!"

Lumaria D'Phiarlan speaks with a powerful presence and an upward thumb, "House Phiarlan was the among the first to suffer from House Shianna back in Aerenal. It is time we paid our dues."

Kul'Aleun D'Tharashk speaks with a downward thumb, "House Tharashk, the orcish tribes, and their allies have always been content with staying inside its own borders. They are doing their best to recover from the Last War, and still have the border of Droaam to worry about. With the other Nations always having been content with letting Tharashk deal with its own problems, so too is Tharashk content with the Nations dealing with Shianna."

Jerrin D'Cannith speaks next, "House Cannith is suffering under the weight of a three-way civil war. I'm afraid there is nothing the Builders can do to support this conflict." His thumb is pointed down.

Kindrex D'Lyrander says, "The dark elves are a blight upon Eberron, and I have long waited for the day to see the Soaring Eagle in action again. Grimnosh and Shianna must fall." She holds her thumb up high.

Vallun D'Sivis says, "I cannot, morally speaking, cast a vote that may send so many off to death. Not if there is another possible solution. Hasty decisions are what lead to the Last War over a hundred years ago. We must learn from history and learn to not make the same mistakes." He says with a shaking downward thumb.

Alix Vadalis says, "If we don't bring the conflict to Shianna today, they will bring it to us tomorrow. Let us have the initiative and the upper hand against our enemies." The girl raises her thumb with pride.

Aymee D'Ghallanda speaks, "House Ghallanda has no military might to speak of, and the halflings are among the closest to Xen'Drik. We would suffer the worst." and holds a confident thumb down.

D'Ghallanda's vote surprises Jasinn D'Jorasco, who casts his vote with a thumb up, "You must be joking, Aymee! The halflings of the Talenta Plains have been enemies with the drow for generations! We must fight back and defend our people!"

Karnov D'Deneith doesn't even say a word. He simply raises his fist and casts a thumb up with a stone cold determination in his war-torn face.

Aliquin D'Orien looks down at his son Velka with icy eyes. He stretches his arm out and points his thumb to the ground.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"A tie." D'Phiarlan exclaims. "This hasn't happened since before the beginning of the Last War.

No matter. You all know the procedure in this case. We must begin the ritual to summon the spirit of Minara Vol, the last living leader of House Vol so that the Thirteenth Dragonmarked member may cast a vote on the decision on whether or not to go to war with Grimnosh and House Shianna."

"Is that wise, my lady?" D'Medani asks. "The Dragonmarks of Death were allies with Grimnosh. We cannot possibly expect their vote to be unbiased!"

"This is the Dragonmarked Council, Anderyn D'Medani!" D'Phiarlan counters with the most dominant authority in her voice to be heard yet. "Tradition is law, and tradition states that all thirteen Dragonmarked Houses have a right to vote on Council matters. Since the eradication of House Vol, their leader's spirit is only summoned to vote in the case of a tie."

Anderyn gives in. He understands honor and tradition, and knows that he cannot change the laws of the Council. "Yes, my lady. I understand." He says with a slight bow.

"Let us begin the ritual."

The twelve Council members stand and begin chanting an ancient arcane ritual. (Anyone that understands Draconic and has ranks in Knowledge: Arcane will recognize it as a Dragonmarked Council version of Speak With Dead, except that it is arcane and much higher than a 3rd level spell.)

As the Council members chant in unison, the lights within the chamber dim to almost nothing.

Cadeyrn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Emerald reflexively grasps the closest hand to her out of fear for comfort. The hand she grabs happens to be yours.

A thousand ghastly, whispering voices can be heard dancing around the chamber.

Killian:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A very dark, evil spirit is being ripped into this world from the afterlife. Watch yourself, Killian.

An intangible figure begins manifesting in House Vol's seat. Above it, where the name of the Council member belongs, forms the name, Minara Vol.

Alimov:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Whatever is being summoned is completely unnatural. Your new Druidic senses are telling you that this...creature...is immensely powerful.

The apparition takes an identifiable, yet still see-though, off-green, and incorporeal form. Vol is wearing loose robes over a set of metal armor, which would probably be House Vol's colors of black, grey, red, and green if it wasn't monotone-colored in its off-green spiritual form. Vol also wears a stone mask with a draconic face that covers Vol's actual face. The mask is reminiscent to the masks that the drow assassins wore in Vedykar, except that specific House Vol designs can be seen on this one and it is large enough to encompass Vol's entire head at once, fitting more like a helmet than a mask.

The Twelve cease their chanting. The ritual is complete. The representative of House Vol has been summoned.

Ariana:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what House Vol members were capable of in their time. The idea of summoning the undead spirit of their previous leader chills you to the core.

Vol speaks in a shrieking, wavering, unholy voice. The figure casts its gaze into each and every set of eyes in the room at one point or another while it speaks. Its masked face pierces through every set of eyes it looks into, just as easily as everyone's gaze pierces through its spiritual form.

Vol's vote is finally cast:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The beast is powerful.

And it is cunning.

But it has a weakness.

That will keep it running.

The beast has many allies

And united, have a goal.

But they trust each other none.

Not even their very souls.

To wage a war.

Against the beast.

Would aid you none.

Not in the least."

Vol's body dissipates, originating at the chest. The dissipation extends to the legs, arms, and head and continues spreading. The last ghastly body part to dissipate back into the afterlife is Vol's downward pointing thumb.

Light returns to the chamber as it was before Vol was summoned. The remaining Twelve Council members slowly retake their seats. None of them speak. It seems like everyone, even D'Phiarlan and D'Kundarak are waiting for someone else to speak first.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana takes a couple of gasping breaths once the ritual is complete. She then stands and says, "Well...We know something now, at least. Even if bound by Council law, this was a vote to go to open war against Grimnosh, correct? But we now know that there are fractures between him and his allies. Is the council bound by this vote to not exploit that and, while not openly going to war, attempt to fracture and fragment his allies against him?"

16. - Top - End - #196

BlueKnightGuy

Shuddering and shaking himself from his stunned silence as the Vol spirit vanished, Wallel wrote a new message, "It is decided then, I suppose. Does this also mean we are not to capture the assassin?"

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Lumaria D'Phiarlan answers Alimov's question, "The Council's vote was whether or not it should build allies to confront Grimnosh and House Shianna. We have no authority over your actions.

The Map and Ring of Shianna are not property of the Council, and as such we have no say in what happens to them. Do with them what you will.

This Council meeting is dismissed."

With that, the Council members disperse from the chamber.

Anderyn D'Medani and Kindrex D'Lyrander catches up to the group as the gate guards return your weapons to you.

The group can see Aliquin D'Orien and Rutgar D'Kundarak leaving the Castle in a heated temper.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana looks behind her for a moment and sees D'Medani and D'Lyrander running to catch up. She says to the party, "We should probably wait for those two," as she gestures behind her.
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2014-02-23 at 09:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Kindrex D'Lyrander takes the Map of Shianna and inscribes it with a cantrip. A mark appears to the east of Korth in the center of the Nightwood.

"This is the location of the Soaring Eagle. During the Battle of Korth about twenty-five years ago, she suffered critical damage and landed in the Nightwood. House Lyrander immediately sought her out and safeguarded her location until a time became necessary to reveal her again. Now is that time."

She returns the map, then holds up two rings. "Each of these is charged with an elemental capable of brining the Soaring Eagle to the skies again, but the ship can only support one elemental. Which would you prefer- the Fire Elemental to maximize the Eagle's speed, or the Air Elemental to increase her maneuverability?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The Fire Elemental will give the Soaring Eagle a massive speed bonus.

The Air Elemental will increase the Soaring Eagle's Fly skill drastically.

Anderyn D'Medani looks to the group with apologetic eyes. "I am sorry the Council meeting didn't go in your favor. The best thing you can do now is hunt down the Artifacts of Shianna since the Council has no authority over you. I'll remain here and see what I can do to fight the political battles that need to be fought." He nods in such a manner that says, 'Good luck'.
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2014-02-24 at 01:10 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200

Cadeyrn nodded in thanks towards D'Medani before turning towards D'Lyrander.

"I vote for the air elemental. We will undoubtedly find ourselves in a fight while on the ship eventually and having the ability to outmaneuver our opponents would be a great boon. This will be especially true if the enemy has any kind of teleportational abilities as that will negate any advantage we have in speed."

Cadeyrn then turned towards his fellow adventurers.

"What do you all think?"

21. - Top - End - #201

BlueKnightGuy

Wallel makes a swirling gesture with his finger like that of a tornado and points to the air elemental ring, in agreement with Cadeyrn.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana nods and says, "Indeed, the ability to maneuver seems best here."

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Very well." D'Lyrander says as she hands over the Air Elemental ring.

"Where do you plan on going now, so that I know where you are in case I need to contact you?" Anderyn D'Medani asks.
    Last edited by Samshiir; 2014-02-24 at 04:13 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204

BlueKnightGuy

Accepting the ring, Wallel turned his attention to Cadeyrn, who he assumed still had the Map. He couldn't quite recall all of the locations lit up, so they'd need to look it over and decide where to go.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The Map of Shianna currently shows (In order of proximity):

One light in Korth, Karrnath, representing the Ring of Shianna currently in the group's possession.

There is an inscribed House Lyrander mark left on the map by Kindrex D'Lyrander in the center of the Nightwood to the east of Korth in Karrnath. This represents the location of the Soaring Eagle.

One light in what used to be Eston, Cyre, but is now the dreaded Mournland. This may very well be the most dangerous Artifact to retrieve.

One light in Korunda's Gate, Mror Holds, representing the Sword of Shianna that Rutgar D'Kundarak was referring to that the dwarves defend.

One light currently in Wroat, Breland, which is the only light- besides the Ring- that has moved since the acquisition of the Map. It has been seen traveled to Sharn, Breland and Korranburg, Zilargo in the past.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Ariana examines the map over Caderyn's shoulder and says, "Well, I believe our first destination, the Soaring Eagle, is obvious. After that, I believe we should travel to the moving Artifact. It is the only one that potentially holds an ally, and should be the easiest to obtain, even if the holder is hostile."

Spoiler
    Show
    Famous last words, right here.

27. - Top - End - #207

BlueKnightGuy

I think we should go for the one in Korth first, since it's closest.

In all seriousness, Wallel points to the one currently in Breland. If the Artifact is moving around that means someone has it, and it might be another agent of Shianna. Best to deal with them before they spread more trouble.
    Last edited by RandomWombat; 2014-02-24 at 06:44 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208

Cadeyrn nodded and agreed with Alimov.

"Exactly. The artifact in the mountains held by the dwarves is likely more safe with them than with us. The Artifact within Cyre..." and here Cadeyrn ran his hands through his hair.

"I have no idea how we'll get within Cyre...though if we are incredibly lucky, whatever caused Grimnosh to become immortal will have been the self same effect that destroyed Cyre. If so, it might be reversible. I know, I know, it's a long shot. But back to the map, if the artifact on the move is being held by a potential ally, then they may be interested in assisting us on our quest. And if they are an enemy, then we have a chance to set up an ambush. So, for the sake of speed, yeah, I say the Soaring Eagle ought to be our first goal followed by the moving artifact.

What do you say, Killian?"

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

I look over the map, pondering for a moment before answering. "Actually, I think we should go to the Artifact in Cyre first. You were right about the dwarven Artifact; it's probably safer with them than with us. However, there are only two possibilities for the bearer of the Artifact in Breland: either they are an ally of House Shianna, or they're not.

If they are, then that Artifact is already lost. They could put it into a well-defended House Shianna vault, but they've been moving it around, so it's unlikely they'll do that in the future. As is, we are unequipped to deal with a fully functional House Shianna agent.

But if not, then they've held the Artifact for this long and defended it from, in all likelihood, several drow attacks. If they've held out until now, they will probably be able to thwart one or two more attempts to steal it while we rush to Cyre.

In other words, the Breland Artifact is either lost or it's not. We don't know which, but its fate is already sealed. The Cyre Artifact, on the other hand, is up for grabs. It is, as of now, unclaimed, and we want to make sure we get to it before House Shianna does. Therefore, I suggest we go there first, retrieve the Artifact as quickly as we can, and then rush to Breland."

I realize I've just been talking for the better part of several minutes, something usually only Cadeyrn does. I look around the rest of the group to gauge their reactions.

30. - Top - End - #210

Cadeyrn bites his lip before speaking.

"Um...Killian. You DO realize that no living creature has managed to pass the barrier of Cyre since the end of the war....right? Eventually we do, of course, have to retrieve that artifact, but without a way into Cyre we are literally stuck. I'll be honest, as unequipped as we are to fight another Shianna agent, we are even less equipped to enter Cyre. The former is just a battle. The latter is a mystery that even the greatest mages and minds from the five...four nations haven't been able to solve."