New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [FWM] Backstage: CUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post

Icy thought it rather silly. "Oh, you worrywart. I really doubt anything would actually outdo this." The mare was tempting fate here. "At any rate, yes. Assuming we're actually heading towards the town, we should run into the carriage..." She glanced at Fox, then at the forest around them. "...We are heading towards Bridle Shores, yes?"
    "Uhm uh....y-yea we went west....so...we should just walk...east..ish. uhm." Fox scrunched his brow, working his jaw a little as he thought about this. "Uhm......sure yea I mean yes...this the way I am sure. Yep." He nodded his head and forced a smile upon his face.

===

@Amish..I will reply to the Sandy bit as soon as I figure out how I am gonna respond to that
    Last edited by Benson; 2014-06-27 at 12:36 PM.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    "Uhm uh....y-yea we went west....so...we should just walk...east..ish. uhm." Fox scrunched his brow, working his jaw a little as he thought about this. "Uhm......sure yea I mean yes...this the way I am sure. Yep." He nodded his head and forced a smile upon his face.
    "... hm, okay," Icy said skeptically, looking around again. The terrain definitely wasn't getting any less wilder. If anything, the undergrowth seemed to be growing in size and density. The ice mage stopped, looking distinctly worried now. "Fox... I think we should turn back."

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Wrench cocked an eyebrow at the unicorn. Oh, nothin', just rememberin'. M'teleporter does weird stuff to bread. Soldier once did nothin' but teleport the stuff for three days straight. He replied, placing another component together and throwing it into the teleport. It made a giant monster.

Lone Star zoomed past, dropping his own load before zooming off again.
    Esmeralda arched an eyebrow. "A... monster? Really now. From bread?" Their conversation was lightly interrupted by Shell Shock dumping what appeared to be a large section of a pipe nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    "Most astute. To overcome your weaknesses, you must first understand them, and a good challenge will show what your weaknesses are." Blueshield nodded. "Perhaps we should match wits again from time to time. It would give you a chance to improve, and me a use for my finely-honed analytical skills."
    "Ha, now that can be something we could arrange..." Tyrol said, grinning. Then he turned to Staccata and co. "Now what are you guys gossiping about?"

"Oh, nothing. Just something about that griffon who made himself home at the guardhouse."

"Him? What about him?"

Lemongrass waved a wing. "Apparently he's an outcast of some sort."

"Huh."
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-06-27 at 10:49 AM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Esmeralda arched an eyebrow. "A... monster? Really now. From bread?" Their conversation was lightly interrupted by Shell Shock dumping what appeared to be a large section of a pipe nearby.
    Wrench cocked an eyebrow in return, then turned to Shell Shock. Shell Shock, what happened that time we teleported bread?

Lone Star came back and dumped what looked like a massive hinge joint. That's it for the north side, I think.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #454
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Ha, now that can be something we could arrange..." Tyrol said, grinning. Then he turned to Staccata and co. "Now what are you guys gossiping about?"

"Oh, nothing. Just something about that griffon who made himself home at the guardhouse."

"Him? What about him?"

"Huh."

"Like you said, general gossiping, completely harmless,"
    Staccata replies, completely innocent of rumor mongering or anything else.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ettin in the Playground

Wrench cocked an eyebrow in return, then turned to Shell Shock. Shell Shock, what happened that time we teleported bread?

Lone Star came back and dumped what looked like a massive hinge joint. That's it for the north side, I think.
    "Didn't we had to fight that bread monster when Soldier did tha'?" Shell Shock, cocking his head.

Esmeralda simply blinked. "Bread... monster? As in bread that is sentient? Stars and moons, this has to be the most ludicrous tale yet."

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

"Didn't we had to fight that bread monster when Soldier did tha'?" Shell Shock, cocking his head.

Esmeralda simply blinked. "Bread... monster? As in bread that is sentient? Stars and moons, this has to be the most ludicrous tale yet."
    Lone Star cocked an eyebrow at her. I dunno, we lived at least one that was weirder...

Yes - HNNG - bread monster. Wrench replied, forcing one of the components onto the teleport. Technically a monster livin' in the wheat of the bread, but still. Y'd have to ask Drea- Medic about that. She's the bio-logically inclined. He sat and sighed. We're still missin' parts f'r its back leg. Y'all checked the west side o' the crash?

Extended Sig

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    Silver takes her place at the proffered position and gives Night Jewel an indulgent smile. "Thank you, dear. And I'd love to hear a story - this date should never have a shortage."
    "Very well. Listen carefully, and please do not interrupt."

The filly concentrated deeply, then began.

"Once, in the great Mareabian deserts, there was a thief. She was a skilful thief; swift as the winds, silent as the night, able to pass any lock or trick any trap. Even the greatest safeguards would not deter her. The rich and the powerful feared and hated her, and did all they could to stop her, but to no avail. She always found a way to come out better than her enemies.

"This thief did not break laws simply to be evil, however. To her, crime was a necessity and a part of her. She had begun her career with nothing but her wits, and everything she owned had to bet taken from another. By the time she could provide for herself, it was too late to turn back; her skills were meant purely for trickery and theft, and the ponies of her home knew her reputation and distrusted her. She became an outcast, with nopony willing to trust her or deal with her, forced into a cycle of distrust and desperation.

"As she wandered, the thief learned of other criminals - thugs, tyrants, and worse. They were nothing like her. While she committed crimes out of necessity, they did out of greed or malice. While she avoided causing unnecessary suffering, they did not, and some even enjoyed inflicting pain and grief. While she loathed violence and never killed, they would murder anypony who got in their way. And worst of all, while law enforcement was on constant alert for her, these villains either escaped notice or were powerful enough to scare the authorities, and never received justice.

"Over time, she turned her talents to a new purpose: Targeting those whose atrocities were untouched by the law. She was still hated and feared, and would never live a normal life, but she was doing the best she could do. Even if she could not live up to the standards of others, she could live up to her own, and make the most of the life she had."

She took a moment to catch her breath after finishing. Finally, she asked, "So what are your thoughts?"

For one thing, you could have been more creative and more subtle about it...

I was talking to her, not you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360
    "Well, when you phrase it like that..." Stellar shakes her head and pushes off again, sailing clumsily, but managing to keep her composure. "Being unstoppable is kind of my thing. Ice is inanimate, so that helps."
    "Now that's my girl! Go for it!"

"So where did you learn this, Blades? You seem to have had quite a bit of practice."
    "Oh, I learned it back in the mountains. Father taught me when I was a wee filly. He wanted to see if I used skate-blades as well as I used knives." The metalworker laughed. "I did better than 'spected, too. Not perfect, but good enough to show off a bit."

"Shhh-...ure. Um. I mean, friends are a good thing, but what I usually do to make them is put them in a tree, get them food, or fix a limb. There isn't a lot of call here for any of those, so...I suppose it's luck. Which...I shouldn't really leave it up to mine."
    Flare gave a soft chuckle. "Ponies prefer different things, Arvadraa. If you wish to befriend them, you will have to learn those preferences."

She put the finishing touches on the sculpture. "It might be good to discover new friendships. For both of us, actually; I barely know any ponies in this town. But before that, we really should ensure Stellar has her own sculpture. I am sure she would be upset to be left out."

"Him? What about him?"

"Huh."
    "Another one? Why is it that the majority of this town's population seems to consist of exiles and those of high renown? This is the highest concentration of eccentricity I have ever seen."

Blueshield got a thoughtful look. "I do not know what offences the griffons consider worthy of expulsion to pony lands. Do you believe it was a capital crime, or simply ending up on the wrong side of a political dispute?"
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

"... hm, okay," Icy said skeptically, looking around again. The terrain definitely wasn't getting any less wilder. If anything, the undergrowth seemed to be growing in size and density. The ice mage stopped, looking distinctly worried now. "Fox... I think we should turn back."

"Ah nonsense...uhm..w-we're fine, we just gotta keep following the road, we will eventually either hit the town or the carriage on its return trip...hmm.."
    He tapped his chin as he squinted in thought, staring down the road before them. He did not look very convincing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "You got it; I'll keep this short." Sandy mulled over his words carefully, settling into his seat for his little talk. "My folks both died...before I could say goodbye t'either of them. They were there one day, gone th' next. I spent a long time wonderin' why it all happened, an' part of me got t'thinkin' they hadn't really loved me at all. Why'd they up an' die if they really cared about me? I-It sounds silly, I know, but it took me a long while t'figure it out. See, I remembered back when they were still alive, an' all th' good times we shared. There weren't a doubt in my mind they loved me t'bits then. So I thought t'myself, 'Self, could death really change a pony's heart? Could all that love just up an' go away because of a lil' thing like that?'"

He gulped heavily, soldiering headlong into his memories. "I didn't think so, an' I don't think so for you either. A pony's love doesn't just sit on the ground an' collect dust; it pours out into our friends, our families, so that they can pass it on t'other folks. Your daddy loved you, more than anythin' in th' world, an' he's still lovin' you now. He dumped all his love into you, your momma, an' your sister, an' it's still there waitin' for you." He nodded over to the filly and mare nearby. "Even though he ain't here t'give it t'you in person, he sent some of his favorite ponies t'love on you in his place. All he's askin' is for you t'let that love in."
    The colt continued with his pouty frown though his shifting movements on his cheeks indicated he was probably in thought about Sandy's words. He furrowed his big eyes and hung his head low."Mister.....I....don't have to respond right away right? Cuz...I need to let your words....whats the word...sink in..."

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

The colt continued with his pouty frown though his shifting movements on his cheeks indicated he was probably in thought about Sandy's words. He furrowed his big eyes and hung his head low."Mister.....I....don't have to respond right away right? Cuz...I need to let your words....whats the word...sink in..."
    "Of course y'don't," Sandy reassured the colt. "Like I said; y'don't even have t'talk back if y'don't want to. But if there's somethin' that y'wanna talk over - stallion t'stallion - then just come an' find me. I'll be here all night."

He dug around in his pockets, and hoofed over some coins to the colt. "Here; for snacks for you an' your folks. Thinkin's easier when you got somethin' tasty t'munch." Sandy gave a little smile.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

Lone Star cocked an eyebrow at her. I dunno, we lived at least one that was weirder...
    "Well... technically, that is true. But still..."

Yes - HNNG - bread monster. Wrench replied, forcing one of the components onto the teleport. Technically a monster livin' in the wheat of the bread, but still. Y'd have to ask Drea- Medic about that. She's the bio-logically inclined. He sat and sighed. We're still missin' parts f'r its back leg. Y'all checked the west side o' the crash?
    "Aye, looked around twice meself. Maybe it got vapourised?" Shell Shock offered, not so helpfully.

Esmeralda looked skeptical. "I highly doubt either of you actually looked look. Still plenty of places left where debris could have buried itself."

"Another one? Why is it that the majority of this town's population seems to consist of exiles and those of high renown? This is the highest concentration of eccentricity I have ever seen."

Blueshield got a thoughtful look. "I do not know what offences the griffons consider worthy of expulsion to pony lands. Do you believe it was a capital crime, or simply ending up on the wrong side of a political dispute?"
    "You know, the Captain always asked us that question at least once a month. We don't know either," Lemongrass said, with a lazy shrug.

"Would be nice if these strange folks stop making our town the daily headlines in Canterlot," Tyrol added with an eyeroll.

"Ah nonsense...uhm..w-we're fine, we just gotta keep following the road, we will eventually either hit the town or the carriage on its return trip...hmm.."
    He tapped his chin as he squinted in thought, staring down the road before them. He did not look very convincing.
    Icy laid a hoof on Fox's shoulder. "Fox... are you absolutely sure?" she asked quietly, giving him a gentle nuzzle.
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-07-03 at 01:04 PM.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

"Aye, looked around twice meself. Maybe it got vapourised?" Shell Shock offered, not so helpfully.

Esmeralda looked skeptical. "I highly doubt either of you actually looked look. Still plenty of places left where debris could have buried itself."
    I'm sorr' little lady, we ain't been workin'? He scowled. You two sneak off for some quick lovin' the moment we start and I'm the one not helpin'?

Lone Star blinked incredulously.

I'm puttin' the pieces together so they're easi'r t'assemble later. It saves us time. He gestured to the teleporter. Where d'ya think all the stuff keeps disappearin' to?

We weren't THAT loud, were we? Lone Star scratched the back of his head with his organic wing. I mean, sure, we're usually pretty loud, but-

You were barely out of earshot and we were runnin' around the area gettin' roboparts, it didn't matter how loud y'were!! He jabbed his hoof out. Look, if parts 'f it were buried then the dirt'll be churned up and eviden'ly recent.

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

"Very well. Listen carefully, and please do not interrupt."

The filly concentrated deeply, then began.

"Once, in the great Mareabian deserts, there was a thief. She was a skilful thief; swift as the winds, silent as the night, able to pass any lock or trick any trap. Even the greatest safeguards would not deter her. The rich and the powerful feared and hated her, and did all they could to stop her, but to no avail. She always found a way to come out better than her enemies.

"This thief did not break laws simply to be evil, however. To her, crime was a necessity and a part of her. She had begun her career with nothing but her wits, and everything she owned had to bet taken from another. By the time she could provide for herself, it was too late to turn back; her skills were meant purely for trickery and theft, and the ponies of her home knew her reputation and distrusted her. She became an outcast, with nopony willing to trust her or deal with her, forced into a cycle of distrust and desperation.

"As she wandered, the thief learned of other criminals - thugs, tyrants, and worse. They were nothing like her. While she committed crimes out of necessity, they did out of greed or malice. While she avoided causing unnecessary suffering, they did not, and some even enjoyed inflicting pain and grief. While she loathed violence and never killed, they would murder anypony who got in their way. And worst of all, while law enforcement was on constant alert for her, these villains either escaped notice or were powerful enough to scare the authorities, and never received justice.

"Over time, she turned her talents to a new purpose: Targeting those whose atrocities were untouched by the law. She was still hated and feared, and would never live a normal life, but she was doing the best she could do. Even if she could not live up to the standards of others, she could live up to her own, and make the most of the life she had."

She took a moment to catch her breath after finishing. Finally, she asked, "So what are your thoughts?"

For one thing, you could have been more creative and more subtle about it...

I was talking to her, not you.
    "I think..." The pegasus shifts her gaze from the filly to one side of her to a point in the distance, catching the breath of her thoughts just as the storyteller had done moments earlier with the cold winter air. "I think I'm sorry that particular path was a necessity for her. I also think I can't fault her for it, especially given what it says about her."

Dawnstrider's tone is carefully measured. "And what would that be?"

Silver shakes her head. "A thousand different things in a thousand different ways. Authors and storytellers and enemies have been trying to do it for thousands of years, but you just can't sum up a pony with a few words, no matter descriptive they are. This individual isn't only an outlaw, or only a pony, or only a legend. She is made up of each of those thousand things together, and her being is dictated by how she moves with each working in tandem, not by simply choosing one and embodying it. There's an old poem from a collection of sonnets Sunshine once read to me... A million ways to walk, has a pony. Nigh infinite paths they might choose to tread. But not one mind has a way of knowing. Naught but by their soul is the pony led."

Dawn raises a brow slightly. "Shaken Spear?"

"No, Variable Gravitas. Well, Variable Second Searcher Blue Scorch et cetera Gravitas. I hear he gave up after the hundredth name and just calls himself 'Spotlight' now, though. At any rate, I think I should correct you on something, Night Jewel. You mentioned she didn't perform crimes for the sake of evil...fortunately for her, the vast majority of crimes are not inherently evil acts. Law and Good are on different scales, something I think Moonshine and Dawnstrider are still learning. They can overlap, but they usually don't. If you ever take an interest in paladinhood, which I'm sure Dawn has already glorified, and it is, in fact, a calling that has few substitutes, the fact that the orders were made for the express purpose of promoting Good, with Law as a societal afterthought, should be the first lesson you learn." A small, ironic smile lights her features. "The second is moderation. As for this mare in your tale, I can't really speak for her character more than it speaks for itself. As an expert on the subject of hugs, though, I can tell that she needs one. She hasn't been dealt the best hoof, but she's made it hers without sacrificing who she is. I think we could use more of that."

"Oh, I learned it back in the mountains. Father taught me when I was a wee filly. He wanted to see if I used skate-blades as well as I used knives." The metalworker laughed. "I did better than 'spected, too. Not perfect, but good enough to show off a bit."
    "I wouldn't have mistaken you for a mountain pony without a beard." Starbeam teases lightly. "Did he teach you the arts of the forge, too?"

Flare gave a soft chuckle. "Ponies prefer different things, Arvadraa. If you wish to befriend them, you will have to learn those preferences."

She put the finishing touches on the sculpture. "It might be good to discover new friendships. For both of us, actually; I barely know any ponies in this town. But before that, we really should ensure Stellar has her own sculpture. I am sure she would be upset to be left out."
    "Mm. She might decide to take matters into her own hooves. Except if she made a snowpony of herself, it'd be twenty stories." She hovers a bit. "I'll go get another icicle. And...Flare? If...you want, I'd be glad to be your friend."

"You know, the Captain always asked us that question at least once a month. We don't know either," Lemongrass said, with a lazy shrug.

"Would be nice if these strange folks stop making our town the daily headlines in Canterlot," Tyrol added with an eyeroll.
    "Probably the Protagonist Central paradox." Snowstorm notes, in the same tone one normally uses when repeating oft-studied information. "You know how, in stories, the good ponies only start their 'careers' in sleepy towns and the conqueror of the week somehow manages to target the same place? And then, in a series, it happens over and over? They didn't pull that out of a hat. Central, heavily-populated communities aren't good for sieges for obvious reasons, and they have bureaucracy too often for that first group to want to have to bother, most times. So the 'protagonists' cluster so they can do what they do in peace, and the 'antagonists' come in either because of a vendetta or they think it's easy money. Basically the only solution is to become a metropolis or set up a dummy town closer to the main roads."

She takes another draw from her mug. "Here's where it gets morbid; the Strategic Disposal Medium theory. Most of the time, the PC paradox town has no idea what to do with the influxes. But the theory states that the most effective choice to keep yourselves out of direct danger is to instigate a conflict with a minor power and toss all of the do-gooders you have lying around at it. Supposedly you stave off attacks for a while because rumor spreads that you have a protective system and you not only keep fewer meddlers out of your manes, you wind up with fewer walking diplomatic and sociopolitical nightmares keeping up residence. As one of those sociopolitical nightmares, I think it's stupid, but I can't exactly advise using it, and I can't see a stand-up pony like your captain putting it into practice. But, well, don't be surprised if you're still in service a few years from now, a superpowered smackdown occurs outside the walls, and your orders are to not do anything. And, frankly, I can't put fault to that order."
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sorr' little lady, we ain't been workin'? He scowled. You two sneak off for some quick lovin' the moment we start and I'm the one not helpin'?

Lone Star blinked incredulously.

I'm puttin' the pieces together so they're easi'r t'assemble later. It saves us time. He gestured to the teleporter. Where d'ya think all the stuff keeps disappearin' to?

We weren't THAT loud, were we? Lone Star scratched the back of his head with his organic wing. I mean, sure, we're usually pretty loud, but-

You were barely out of earshot and we were runnin' around the area gettin' roboparts, it didn't matter how loud y'were!! He jabbed his hoof out. Look, if parts 'f it were buried then the dirt'll be churned up and eviden'ly recent.
    "Well, I never! Hmph!" Esmeralda sniffed, turning away, apparently not quite happy being scolded like this, even if Wrench was justified.

Shell Shock chuckled. "Listen, lass. I'm sure y'all have needs and all, but out there in the woods? That's stretching it."

"I don't have to explain myself to either of you," Esmeralda replied curtly.

"Sure, ye don't lassie. Now how 'bout ye two help find us this missin' piece and I'll pretend I never saw a thing."

"Probably the Protagonist Central paradox." Snowstorm notes, in the same tone one normally uses when repeating oft-studied information. "You know how, in stories, the good ponies only start their 'careers' in sleepy towns and the conqueror of the week somehow manages to target the same place? And then, in a series, it happens over and over? They didn't pull that out of a hat. Central, heavily-populated communities aren't good for sieges for obvious reasons, and they have bureaucracy too often for that first group to want to have to bother, most times. So the 'protagonists' cluster so they can do what they do in peace, and the 'antagonists' come in either because of a vendetta or they think it's easy money. Basically the only solution is to become a metropolis or set up a dummy town closer to the main roads."

She takes another draw from her mug. "Here's where it gets morbid; the Strategic Disposal Medium theory. Most of the time, the PC paradox town has no idea what to do with the influxes. But the theory states that the most effective choice to keep yourselves out of direct danger is to instigate a conflict with a minor power and toss all of the do-gooders you have lying around at it. Supposedly you stave off attacks for a while because rumor spreads that you have a protective system and you not only keep fewer meddlers out of your manes, you wind up with fewer walking diplomatic and sociopolitical nightmares keeping up residence. As one of those sociopolitical nightmares, I think it's stupid, but I can't exactly advise using it, and I can't see a stand-up pony like your captain putting it into practice. But, well, don't be surprised if you're still in service a few years from now, a superpowered smackdown occurs outside the walls, and your orders are to not do anything. And, frankly, I can't put fault to that order."
    "Well... uh... that's a very interesting theory you got there..." Lemongrass ventured cautiously, after he was reasonably certain that she had said all she needed to say.

"Hate to think our town became one of those though. It used to be such a nice quiet place..." Tyrol mused, sipping his drink. "At least before all this civil war nonsense started. I think a lot of us just want to be left alone in peace."
    Last edited by Grif; 2014-07-06 at 12:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Well... uh... that's a very interesting theory you got there..." Lemongrass ventured cautiously, after he was reasonably certain that she had said all she needed to say.

"Hate to think our town became one of those though. It used to be such a nice quiet place..." Tyrol mused, sipping his drink. "At least before all this civil war nonsense started. I think a lot of us just want to be left alone in peace."
    A discussion on the prevalence of trouble coming to town at the same time the flow of information from legitimate sources from the place is something Staccata may seem odd not speaking up about. Almost conspicuous.

Well, the mare doesn't say anything, partly due to the fact there are still unanswered questions on why this goes on. A few theories, some of which get a little out there 'it goes to the top' conspiracy. Also trade secrets. Then there's also the matter of the town being oddly well-funded for the tax base here. Of course that part could just be due to the amount of loot that comes in from adventuring stuffs.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I never! Hmph!" Esmeralda sniffed, turning away, apparently not quite happy being scolded like this, even if Wrench was justified.

Shell Shock chuckled. "Listen, lass. I'm sure y'all have needs and all, but out there in the woods? That's stretching it."

"I don't have to explain myself to either of you," Esmeralda replied curtly.

"Sure, ye don't lassie. Now how 'bout ye two help find us this missin' piece and I'll pretend I never saw a thing."
    If you hadn't built me this wing... Lone Star grumbled.

If you din't know Pyro you wouldn'ta been able t'afford it. Now, it shouldn't be too hard to find. Not much metal out here. He gestured. I haven't looked over there yet and I don't think you three have either.

I did.

Well in that case, it's probably over there check it again.

Lone Star scowled.

I'm kiddin'. Probably should look over it again anyway, though.

Extended Sig

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

Icy laid a hoof on Fox's shoulder. "Fox... are you absolutely sure?" she asked quietly, giving him a gentle nuzzle.

"Well...ha...ha...we'll find out on whether we find Bridle Shores or not...yea,"
    He bobbed his head up and down and continued with his fake smile.

========
    "Of course y'don't," Sandy reassured the colt. "Like I said; y'don't even have t'talk back if y'don't want to. But if there's somethin' that y'wanna talk over - stallion t'stallion - then just come an' find me. I'll be here all night."

He dug around in his pockets, and hoofed over some coins to the colt. "Here; for snacks for you an' your folks. Thinkin's easier when you got somethin' tasty t'munch." Sandy gave a little smile.

The colt said little as the coins were hoofed over, his expression a half hearted smile. "Thanks."

"Oooh oooh snacky snacks, momma momma I want poppin corn!" The little filly tugged at her mother's leg. Their mother looked back over at Sandy with a weary but kind smile and mouthed 'thank you', and she of course was not talking about snack money.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

The colt said little as the coins were hoofed over, his expression a half hearted smile. "Thanks."

"Oooh oooh snacky snacks, momma momma I want poppin corn!" The little filly tugged at her mother's leg. Their mother looked back over at Sandy with a weary but kind smile and mouthed 'thank you', and she of course was not talking about snack money.
    "You're very welcome." Sandy tipped his hat to the colt with a subtle nod to his mother. "I hope ya'll have a lovely Hearth's Warmin'. Enjoy th' show!" He trotted away from the family with a little earnest smile...

"Mm. I'll try not to get my crippling existential despair all over the chairs, my sunrise." Sunshine smirks, they share a brief peck, and split up. He makes for where Sandy's line is, but doesn't impose himself upon the drama unfurling.
    ...which vanished just as soon as he was out of their sight. The little stallion stuffed his usher's cap away, hung his head low, and made a beeline for the backstage area. He was so intent on his quick exit that he failed to notice Taylor standing nearby. The paladin could easily intercept him, or follow him backstage.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

"You're very welcome." Sandy tipped his hat to the colt with a subtle nod to his mother. "I hope ya'll have a lovely Hearth's Warmin'. Enjoy th' show!" He trotted away from the family with a little earnest smile...

...which vanished just as soon as he was out of their sight. The little stallion stuffed his usher's cap away, hung his head low, and made a beeline for the backstage area. He was so intent on his quick exit that he failed to notice Taylor standing nearby. The paladin could easily intercept him, or follow him backstage.
    Indeed, no sooner had he slipped away his attire than he felt a small tug on his shoulder. The paladin in question was bearing a calm demeanor, and after his initial contact, maintained a respectful distance. "You continue to excel at surprising me, Sandy. I don't want to impose where I'm not wanted, so I'll ask first. Do you just need a moment, or a talk on the other side...stallion to stallion?"
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, no sooner had he slipped away his attire than he felt a small tug on his shoulder. The paladin in question was bearing a calm demeanor, and after his initial contact, maintained a respectful distance. "You continue to excel at surprising me, Sandy. I don't want to impose where I'm not wanted, so I'll ask first. Do you just need a moment, or a talk on the other side...stallion to stallion?"
    Sandy jumped back at the sudden touch, but calmed when he saw Taylor. Then blanched as he realized his quiet little escape was thoroughly foiled. Though true to form, Taylor managed to both give him complete control of the situation, while also sneaking in a blow to the gut; with his own words, no less. The little stallion's ears pinned back, and he glanced back towards the family. "I-I wouldn't mind a talk..." he admitted with some reluctance.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ogre in the Playground

Taylor nods them both over to a more secluded area of the audience stands and clears it of snow, carefully evaporating the chill and the moisture so that they have an area to properly sit down. "I don't have a leather seat, so this'll have to do. I'll skip over the laundry list and jump right into the cliches, if that's all right." He isn't displaying an active comedic process, necessarily - more drawing focus to the idea of a psychiatric visit and using a quiet, dry sort of humor to quash the comparison. The immediate area warms up some and Sandy may notice that the doctor somehow looks smaller than he did a moment ago, less imposing. "What's on your mind?"

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy curled up in the soft, warm grass, wondering if it was always this way when dry or if it was just a by-product of Taylor's magic. The mind went funny places when it was cracking. He sat down at a conversational distance from the good doctor. "W-well," he started, gnawing on his lip. "I guess y'saw that family, right? Th' one with a mum, kids, an' n-no dad? Y'see, I, well, that wasn't quite-I wasn't quite honest w-with them." He gingerly danced 'round the subject. "I-I had seen them before. On more...o-official Cirrus business."

"I-I don't think they recognized me without th' uniform," he added quietly, eyes moistening.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Taylor doesn't say anything, but he maintains his presence, and his stance indicates 'I'm still listening; go ahead when you're ready'.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Taylor doesn't say anything, but he maintains his presence, and his stance indicates 'I'm still listening; go ahead when you're ready'.
    Sandy took a while longer to compose himself, before forcing himself to continue. Stopping now meant possibly never starting again. "I-I think if they'd recognized me they...they wouldn't be t-too keen on talkin' with me. It weren't a happy v-visit." He sniffed up, feeling the tears coming but powerless to stop them. "C-cirrus protocol dictates that all operatives a-are responsible for bearin' tidings of their missions t'appropriate parties except where classified matters are concerned. In order t'preserve the safety an' security of Equestria, ponies must be kept informed of th' activities of the brave crew," he recited mechanically. "Report victories to anypony who'll celebrate. Return stolen property to the rightful owners, in front of as many cameras as possible. Inform locals of where they can now roam safely. Restore local weather patterns to normal as soon as possible. Quietly-" He choked up. "Q-quietly inform th' families of th' bereaved, an' p-p-provide them with...with appropriate, unclassified details..."

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

If you hadn't built me this wing... Lone Star grumbled.

If you din't know Pyro you wouldn'ta been able t'afford it. Now, it shouldn't be too hard to find. Not much metal out here. He gestured. I haven't looked over there yet and I don't think you three have either.

I did.

Well in that case, it's probably over there check it again.

Lone Star scowled.

I'm kiddin'. Probably should look over it again anyway, though.
    "I suppose so," Emseralda sighed. "Let's just get this tedious task over with." She began trotting off towards where Wrench had pointed, lighting up her horn to get a better light.

(Not sure how to continue this XD)

"Well...ha...ha...we'll find out on whether we find Bridle Shores or not...yea,"
    He bobbed his head up and down and continued with his fake smile.
    "I pray you're right," Icy said, a little grimly.

(Now where would they likely end up..?)

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

"I suppose so," Emseralda sighed. "Let's just get this tedious task over with." She began trotting off towards where Wrench had pointed, lighting up her horn to get a better light.

(Not sure how to continue this XD)
    (Skip to the end!)

Wrench sighed as he threw the last piece into the teleporter. Glad that's done.

Lone Star had draped his wing over Es. Great can we go now?

eh, sure. Shell Shock n' I gotta find a bar anyway.

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #476
    Troll in the Playground

"I pray you're right," Icy said, a little grimly.

(Now where would they likely end up..?)
    And so the two continued on walking for the next five minutes when suddenly from down the road a rather fancy carriage came into view.

"Aha! See? We'll be fiiiine....huh....guess they must have switched carriages...and pullers..."
    Fox said as he squinted his eyes at the rather different fancy carriage and different puller. "Wait...."

But before he could finish his thought, the carriage seemed to already descend upon the two and stopped right next to them. The door swung open as a certain pony stuck his head out.

"Yea...no, I'd rather continue walking than ride with you,"
    Fox annoyedly spat as he stared at a smiling Balboa, behind him sat Astrid who seemed to have been going over some paperwork with him.

"Oh nonsense son, you two have a long walk to go, don't be silly,"
    Balboa said as he continued to look over at the two as he sat comfortably on a rather comfortable looking cushioned seat. "It's cold out, we have a nice heater in here~"

"No thank you. How did you even find us out here? At this time?"
    Fox questioned with a narrowing of his eyes.

"Don't worry about that, what you should worry about is making the mother of my grandchild walk such a distance, shame on you boy,"
    Balboa lightly chastised and furrowed his brow and grimly frowned. He then looked over at Icy and smiled. "How about it dear? Would you like to join me and Miss Astrid and we can head back into town safely?"

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Sandy took a while longer to compose himself, before forcing himself to continue. Stopping now meant possibly never starting again. "I-I think if they'd recognized me they...they wouldn't be t-too keen on talkin' with me. It weren't a happy v-visit." He sniffed up, feeling the tears coming but powerless to stop them. "C-cirrus protocol dictates that all operatives a-are responsible for bearin' tidings of their missions t'appropriate parties except where classified matters are concerned. In order t'preserve the safety an' security of Equestria, ponies must be kept informed of th' activities of the brave crew," he recited mechanically. "Report victories to anypony who'll celebrate. Return stolen property to the rightful owners, in front of as many cameras as possible. Inform locals of where they can now roam safely. Restore local weather patterns to normal as soon as possible. Quietly-" He choked up. "Q-quietly inform th' families of th' bereaved, an' p-p-provide them with...with appropriate, unclassified details..."
    Taylor's eye twitches. It's a small gesture, but for him, it's a massive breach in composure. When he speaks, though, he's careful to keep his voice moderated. "Sandy, I'm going to tell you something. You don't have to go any further with this explanation, but I do want you to think about what that something might be. I'll tell you right away that while it's not vindictive, it is incredibly cliche."

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

Taylor's eye twitches. It's a small gesture, but for him, it's a massive breach in composure. When he speaks, though, he's careful to keep his voice moderated. "Sandy, I'm going to tell you something. You don't have to go any further with this explanation, but I do want you to think about what that something might be. I'll tell you right away that while it's not vindictive, it is incredibly cliche."
    Sandy tried in vain to clear his eyes. "U-um, that I...shouldn't blame myself? Be careful of v-vampony bites? Fight 'em in th' day?"

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

The doctor smiles softly, offering a small, white silk handkerchief. "I was thinking of the first one, but they're all good advice. That last doesn't even necessarily apply only to vamponies. Daylight has a way of shifting any kind of battle to your side...even ones where the enemy isn't tangible, if you catch my meaning. More important, though, is that I didn't have to say it. You said it yourself, which means the thought is there. And Sandy, all that means is that you know it's true, you just haven't recognized it yet. Guilt is harsh, and it doesn't always go away. But one of the most important lessons to learn is that when the going gets tough, you don't have to add any fuel to the flame. You've got a good heart, Sandy Shores, and I don't think you're capable of doing anything to be guilty of; not the real you. I know it, your crewmates know it, my gut says your parents knew it, and something tells me that colt's family - even the members that aren't here right now - know it, too.

You shouldn't blame yourself. I didn't say it; you did. And that can make all the difference."

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

The doctor smiles softly, offering a small, white silk handkerchief. "I was thinking of the first one, but they're all good advice. That last doesn't even necessarily apply only to vamponies. Daylight has a way of shifting any kind of battle to your side...even ones where the enemy isn't tangible, if you catch my meaning. More important, though, is that I didn't have to say it. You said it yourself, which means the thought is there. And Sandy, all that means is that you know it's true, you just haven't recognized it yet. Guilt is harsh, and it doesn't always go away. But one of the most important lessons to learn is that when the going gets tough, you don't have to add any fuel to the flame. You've got a good heart, Sandy Shores, and I don't think you're capable of doing anything to be guilty of; not the real you. I know it, your crewmates know it, my gut says your parents knew it, and something tells me that colt's family - even the members that aren't here right now - know it, too.

You shouldn't blame yourself. I didn't say it; you did. And that can make all the difference."
    That final assurance was the straw that broke the camel's back. All the grief he'd been forcing down suddenly burst loose in an upwelling of emotion. Sandy buried his face in the handkerchief, his whole body shaking. "H-he was just a colt! He don't deserve a lick of any of this! His paw should be here buyin' him sweets instead...in-instead of a stranger...it ain't fair!" Further ranting was cut off by a fresh wave of sobs as the little engineer vented his heart out.