New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [FWM] Backstage: CUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post

Icy has had a pleasant day so far, with Esmeralda out of the house (and her hair), it was as good as any time to catch up on some reading! In this case, she was quite engrossed in the Studies of Occult Magicks when the door rang. The ice mage crinkled her muzzle at the interruption. "This better not be some kid asking for candy. I thought Nightmare Night was over..." she muttered, as she placed her book aside and went to open the door...
    ....and find a kiss on her muzzle from Fox who held over their heads a piece of mistletoe. He stepped back and smiled at her. "Holiday greetings my love, looking beautiful as always."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    ....and find a kiss on her muzzle from Fox who held over their heads a piece of mistletoe. He stepped back and smiled at her. "Holiday greetings my love, looking beautiful as always."
    The kiss took Icy by pleasant surprise, whose face immediately lit up with a smile. "Fox! And I see you brought a present~" she said, glancing up at the mistletoe with an amused smirk, then kissing him on the cheek. She waved for the stallion to step inside. "Come on in~ I'll get a pot of tea ready. Or would you like something else."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Gearstride, Silverpine, and Sandy Shores

"Oh Lieutenant, don't get all shy on me,"
    She grinned lightly kissing his cheek before pulling away and standing in front of her two boys.

"Oh silly Sandy, yer gettin the wrong idea but anyways!"
    Sandy pursed his lips fretfully, trying not to think of Rainbow's miserable, tear-stained face if she saw him lending out her dedicated smoochin' space. A stallion ought to save his cheeks for his mare; at least, he was pretty sure he was supposed to. At least he was out of immediate mistletoe range, thank Luna.

"....Guess what guess what the Cirrus will be doing for Hearthswarming!"
    She excitedly grinned and squeaked.
    The little engineer's face brightened. "Are we finally gonna string lights all over th' Cirrus?! Land's sakes, but she'll look awful pretty flyin' through th' snowy night..." He sighed wistfully, picturing his precious ship all decked out with holiday cheer. The very thought brought an earnest grin to his face.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

"Why not all of them?" Esmeralda said with a wicked smile, snuggling closer to his warmth. "Though hot chocolate sounds heavenly now~ Reminds me almost of home, this season."
    Lone Star nuzzled her neck. Hot chocolate then. He smiled.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    "Pfft. No. But are you gonna turn down free gifts just because they're mandated?"

"I wouldn't go so far as to say it's a show of generosity so much as a demonstration of how well you know a pony. A gift is, by its very nature, personalized. It wasn't always that way, of course - historically, gift-giving ceremonies have been more focused on trading necessities so that everypony has what they need at the end of the day instead of simply being a festivity - but in today's society where wants are usually covered, it's become more of a...I suppose hippopologically I would call it a bonding exercise."

"Basically you're supposed to give to show you actually care that the recipient exists. Wild stab - it's a big part of Hearth's Warming because it's supposed to be this big thing about togetherness so we don't get frozen by angry winter spirits."

"Um, I agree with Stellar's bluntness, which feels strange. It's not really the gift - it's the effort that goes into it. It's a symbol, like almost everything will be today."
    "And you choose this time of year, rather than just any, because of said spirits?"

"Well, it's not like this is the only time ya'll ever see ponies givin' each other nice things. But yeah, it helps keep us from gettin' too cold here."

"...Then I must think. Think about what to do for you. Excuse me." With that, Flare headed out of the shop.

Blades waved. "Hope ya find something good for us!" She then turned back to Arvadraa, Stellar and Starbeam. "Don't worry, I think she'll be fine. She's just goin' through a bit of culture shock. So, can ya girls guess what I've got for ya?"

"Ya mean y'all don't celebrate Hearth's Warming's Eve where you come from?" Lemongrass said, looking aghast.
    "Not like this. Surprising as it may seem, those of us who live in exceptionally hot, dry climates are somewhat less concerned with winter and associated events."

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360
    "I can see your point there. It makes sense to keep a close eye on things even when everypony else has a day off. I guess I just never really identified with volunteering for it. Which...thanks. All of you. It can't be easy taking time out of a holiday to look out for the rest of us, even if it isn't as big a deal."
    Blueshield nodded. "My business is rarely pleasant, but there are seldom alternatives."

Quote Originally Posted by Grif
    Tyrol shrugged. "Well, it's what we're paid to do. Somepony still needs to walk the streets anyhow." He smiled a little. "It's not like we don't get the night off later anyway. I have somepony waiting for me..."

"Knock it off, Ty. Sappy just isn't you. Whatever happened to the stiff I used to know?"

Tyrol ribbed his friend. Hard. "Ponies change y'know."
    "You are fortunate, then. To me, there is no 'time off'. There is, and has always been, work to be done for the protection of others. I work not for pay, but so that others do not have to." She sighed. "Like I said, it is seldom pleasant."

Dawnstrider walks at a half-trot, as though he want to get a move on, but isn't overly thrilled with where he's going. Eventually, though, the end destination is unavoidable.

"-And then hit it from the sides. If I have to watch one more pony try and tackle one of those head-to-head it won't be...oh, hey!" Taylor flashes the pair a grin. "Figured you'd get tired of staying on the outskirts at some point."

"Indeed." Dawnstrider states somewhat gruffly. "We require mild succor."

"It shows." Silver notes worriedly, digging around in a saddlebag. She pulls out what looks like a towel, but made of some sort of soft material that makes it more of a blanket, and offers it to Night Jewel. "Goodness, you look chilled to the bone."

"That is unlikely, but I won't necessarily begrudge you parental hyperbole."

"Says the pony wearing next to no winterwear." The snow around Taylor's hooves begins to melt as he starts producing waves of heat, not unlike a contained and lit fireplace. "Shall we introduce ourselves?"

"Indeed. Night Jewel, you are, I believe, already familiar with Sunshine, my father. This is...my mother, Silver Streak." This spoken almost through gritted teeth.

For her part, Silver seems not to notice. She flashes Jewel a smile. "Always a pleasure to meet one of Dawn's new friends."
    "Oh! Thank you." Night Jewel quickly took the blanket and put it over herself. "Back where I came from, there wasn't much of a market for winter clothing."

She took a moment to let herself warm up, then nodded to Silver. "And a pleasure to meet you, too. I sometimes wish I had a caring mother myself."
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

The kiss took Icy by pleasant surprise, whose face immediately lit up with a smile. "Fox! And I see you brought a present~" she said, glancing up at the mistletoe with an amused smirk, then kissing him on the cheek. She waved for the stallion to step inside. "Come on in~ I'll get a pot of tea ready. Or would you like something else."

"Well I'll take a another kiss and maybe some hot cocoa...with marshmallows, if you have them....otherwise tea will do,"
    He closed his eyes and nuzzled her before wiping all four hooves on the welcome mat outside, wiggling off some snow off his hooves. He walked inside and plopped his cold self on the couch.
    ========

Gearstride, Silverpine, Sandy

Gearstride gave Silverpine a glum look and wrinkled her muzzle. "I didn't really agree....don't see why you couldn't settle for a fake one..." She grumbled with a slight pout until Sandy spoke in which she snapped out of it and returned to her original enthusiastic state.

"Well, we can do that too....but....I signed us up to be part of Bridle Shores Hearthswarming Day pageant!"
    She happily declared. Surely these two were just as enthusiastic about this too.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    "And you choose this time of year, rather than just any, because of said spirits?"

"Well, it's not like this is the only time ya'll ever see ponies givin' each other nice things. But yeah, it helps keep us from gettin' too cold here."

"...Then I must think. Think about what to do for you. Excuse me." With that, Flare headed out of the shop.

Blades waved. "Hope ya find something good for us!" She then turned back to Arvadraa, Stellar and Starbeam. "Don't worry, I think she'll be fine. She's just goin' through a bit of culture shock. So, can ya girls guess what I've got for ya?"
    "Is it weapons?" Stellar asks innocently, earning her an annoyed look from Arvadraa.

"I'm guessing it's constructed." She says, nibbling on a cookie. "If I had to say for sure...some kind of armor? No...I'm no expert, but doesn't guessing defeat the potential element of surprise?"

"The momentary feeling of victory is a gift in itself! Now let's see...is it a vegetable or a mineral?"

"Not like this. Surprising as it may seem, those of us who live in exceptionally hot, dry climates are somewhat less concerned with winter and associated events."

Blueshield nodded. "My business is rarely pleasant, but there are seldom alternatives."

"You are fortunate, then. To me, there is no 'time off'. There is, and has always been, work to be done for the protection of others. I work not for pay, but so that others do not have to." She sighed. "Like I said, it is seldom pleasant."
    "Seldom pleasant? It is your calling though, right?"

"Oh! Thank you." Night Jewel quickly took the blanket and put it over herself. "Back where I came from, there wasn't much of a market for winter clothing."

She took a moment to let herself warm up, then nodded to Silver. "And a pleasure to meet you, too. I sometimes wish I had a caring mother myself."
    Dawnstrider takes that moment to look away, subsiding into an awkward silence.

"Well I'm more than happy to make myself available to somepony who needs one. Where exactly do you come from, if you don't mind my asking? I'm picturing someplace arid."
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Skies Over Ponyville]

As Blueshield, Lemongrass, Tyrol, and Snowstorm chatter about Saddle Arabia, Hearthswarming Eve, and the glory of law enforcement and patriotic duty, one or more of them may notice something slowly odd about a nearby cloud that's lazily drifting along.

Specifically, the batpony lazily sprawled out on it. It would seem that Purple Prose has decided to abandon his intimidating purple and blue Lunar Guard armor in favor of a black hoodie and purple scarf. Sans helmet and with his hood down, Prose's mane is much more shaggy and loose, with a few locks hanging down to obscure the eyepatch covering his right eye. His cutie mark is also left visible - a scroll of parchment and a purple writing quill. Quite an odd image for a former Shadowbolt to have on their flank, and also the pair of items he currently has in his hooves as he looks out over the snow covered town beneath him, muttering to himself as his ears pin back and his tail gives a flick of annoyance.

"No no no, too clunky. Needs to flow better. Maybe a haiku?" he grumbles, before looking back down at the parchment and resuming his writing, oblivious to the four chatting ponies nearby.

Such an imposing guardian of the night...
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well I'll take a another kiss and maybe some hot cocoa...with marshmallows, if you have them....otherwise tea will do,"
    He closed his eyes and nuzzled her before wiping all four hooves on the welcome mat outside, wiggling off some snow off his hooves. He walked inside and plopped his cold self on the couch.
    "Oh, I do have some hot cocoa... and I think I still have a packet of marshmallows somewhere..." Icy said, skipping inside. Already, Fox could hear the kettle boiling, and the sound of Icy humming happily as she busied herself in the kitchen.

Gearstride gave Silverpine a glum look and wrinkled her muzzle. "I didn't really agree....don't see why you couldn't settle for a fake one..." She grumbled with a slight pout until Sandy spoke in which she snapped out of it and returned to her original enthusiastic state.

"Well, we can do that too....but....I signed us up to be part of Bridle Shores Hearthswarming Day pageant!"
    She happily declared. Surely these two were just as enthusiastic about this too.
    Silverpine stared at Gear with a deadpan expression. "Captain. Tell me you're joking."

"Sounds like somepony needs to relax~" Lemongrass said, laughing. "Hmm... why don't you come with us after our patrol? We could show you the best bars Bridle Shores has to offer."

"Please tell me you're not going to bring them to the Drum."

Lemongrass wrapped a foreleg around Tyrol's shoulders, gesturing dramatically. "That's the spirit, Tyrol! Never a finer establishment for alcohol, cider and atmosphere."

The sound of Tyrol facehoofing echoed into the air. Neither of the derp guards noticed Prose.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Lone Star nuzzled her neck. Hot chocolate then. He smiled.
    "Your place then?" Esmeralda giggled. "I was on my way there after all, when you walked like naked as your birthright. Icy's being a stiff, so it's no fun there."
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-12-16 at 06:51 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

"Oh, I do have some hot cocoa... and I think I still have a packet of marshmallows somewhere..." Icy said, skipping inside. Already, Fox could hear the kettle boiling, and the sound of Icy humming happily as she busied herself in the kitchen.
    Fox Trot just laid there, getting himself warmed up, waiting for Icy to return. he fluffed some pillows and placed them on top of himself.

"Soo...Icy, do you have any plans for today?"
    He asked 'casually' and was totally not trying to gauge an answer for reasons.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy's eyes...lit up brighter than the lights on a Hearth's Warming tree.

Silverpine stared at Gear with a deadpan expression. "Captain. Tell me you're joking."
    "Silverpine? Y'ain't serious, are you?" The little unicorn stared at his friend with a shocked expression. "Why, this sounds right up th' alley of any good Cirrus crew! Lendin' a hoof t'th' local folk, makin' 'em smile an' laugh an' cry so hard they forget their troubles, an' most importantly..." He motioned to the massive tree behind them, and the scores of ponies cavorting and making merry in the town square. "Makin' sure that this day is as special an' magical as it ought t'be!"

He nodded determinedly, a hint of moisture gathering in his eyes. "If that ain't a duty for th' Cirrus Crew, then I don't know what is!"

(Wow. Sandy's been out of commission for so long, I forgot he's got some moxie in him.)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Firbolg in the Playground

Meanwhile

Staccata's grumpy. She's been grumpy for a while. The mare simply doesn't handle winter well for... reasons involving Manehatten. Plus in all the insane shopping frenzy it's even harder to find a decent replacement cloak. All the tailors are busy yet again and nopony knows when one will be available.

So the rogue is walking the streets ready to grump at somepony.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Fox Trot just laid there, getting himself warmed up, waiting for Icy to return. he fluffed some pillows and placed them on top of himself.

"Soo...Icy, do you have any plans for today?"
    He asked 'casually' and was totally not trying to gauge an answer for reasons.
    "Well, I was planning on a quiet day of reading... but I'm guessing that is now out of the window?" Icy said, as she reappeared with a cup of hot chocolate for Fox, marshmallows piled in a bowl and a cup of tea for herself. She set the ensemble down on the coffee table, and went to snuggle him.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post

"Silverpine? Y'ain't serious, are you?" The little unicorn stared at his friend with a shocked expression. "Why, this sounds right up th' alley of any good Cirrus crew! Lendin' a hoof t'th' local folk, makin' 'em smile an' laugh an' cry so hard they forget their troubles, an' most importantly..." He motioned to the massive tree behind them, and the scores of ponies cavorting and making merry in the town square. "Makin' sure that this day is as special an' magical as it ought t'be!"

He nodded determinedly, a hint of moisture gathering in his eyes. "If that ain't a duty for th' Cirrus Crew, then I don't know what is!"

(Wow. Sandy's been out of commission for so long, I forgot he's got some moxie in him.)
    "I think you overestimate the skills of the Cirrus in these matters, Mr Shores," the lieutenant said good naturedly. He wasn't really saying no, but his cautious streak was making itself felt again.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Is it weapons?" Stellar asks innocently, earning her an annoyed look from Arvadraa.

"I'm guessing it's constructed." She says, nibbling on a cookie. "If I had to say for sure...some kind of armor? No...I'm no expert, but doesn't guessing defeat the potential element of surprise?"

"The momentary feeling of victory is a gift in itself! Now let's see...is it a vegetable or a mineral?"
    Blades laughed. "Well, if ya can guess, it's not too surprisin' anyway. But ya're only close to one of the things. I'm gettin' something for 'Vadraa, something for Stellar, 'n something for both of ya, sort of, 'n all of 'em are made mostly of metal. Not sure what I'm doin' 'bout yar sister yet, though."

Blueshield twitched her ears. "It was not a whim that drove me to devote my life to the protection of others, if that is what you intend to insinuate."

"Sounds like somepony needs to relax~" Lemongrass said, laughing. "Hmm... why don't you come with us after our patrol? We could show you the best bars Bridle Shores has to offer."

"Please tell me you're not going to bring them to the Drum."

Lemongrass wrapped a foreleg around Tyrol's shoulders, gesturing dramatically. "That's the spirit, Tyrol! Never a finer establishment for alcohol, cider and atmosphere."

The sound of Tyrol facepalming echoed into the air. Neither of the derp guards noticed Prose.
    "Bars? Alcohol?" Blueshield stared at them, looking a mixture of startled and irritated. "I hardly see any excuse for a pony of my stature to inhibit her mental functions via the consumption of intoxicants as a means of self-diversion. Alcohol is a root to all varieties of foul conduct, and I dare not partake of it."

She hesitated for a moment. When she spoke again, she seemed less sure of herself. "...Perhaps the company would do me good, however."

Dawnstrider takes that moment to look away, subsiding into an awkward silence.

"Well I'm more than happy to make myself available to somepony who needs one. Where exactly do you come from, if you don't mind my asking? I'm picturing someplace arid."
    They don't seem to get along too well. Why might that be? Did something bad happen between them? I'll have to ask later.

Night Jewel nodded. "Oh, you're quite right there, Miss Silver. I'm from the Mareabic deserts. I may return someday, when I have a more stable position in life. But for now, I'm staying where the best opportunities are, even if this place can be cold and miserable at times."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Blades laughed. "Well, if ya can guess, it's not too surprisin' anyway. But ya're only close to one of the things. I'm gettin' something for 'Vadraa, something for Stellar, 'n something for both of ya, sort of, 'n all of 'em are made mostly of metal."
    "So it IS a mineral! Let's see...does it have spots?"

"I actually can't tell whether you're still joking, and that worries me a bit."

"Does it combine with something to make something else? Does it do tricks? Is it lethal?"

"Not sure what I'm doin' 'bout yar sister yet, though."
    "How about a nice book?" Again with the innocent tone, complete with batting eyelashes this time.

"Okay, now THAT was a joke."

"I could use a new read, actually. I didn't bring any materials here with me, and on the off-chance I get some free time, I can't well spend it all on calculations. Despite numbers being the foundation of the universe, spending a long time thinking about them is really dull."

Blueshield twitched her ears. "It was not a whim that drove me to devote my life to the protection of others, if that is what you intend to insinuate."
    "I'm insinuating the exact opposite, actually. It's never a whim - it's something you just do. Like your whole life you've been waiting for the opportunity, and now that you can do something about it, you can't imagine doing anything else. I'll raise you one better, too. This call of ours leaves signs, marks of other types. I bet your cutie mark is as oriented towards this as you are. Something metaphorically or literally defensive, or both. Armor, shield, ward, and so on?

You don't have to answer that if you don't want to. Thing is, though - and this is where I slide into real judgment, so I apologize in advance - you strike me as the type of pony whose devotion takes the top of the list. I've seen that a couple of times, and I'll go so far to say it's a good thing, as extremes go. But I made that point earlier about what you do allowing the continuation of the lives of those around you as a reminder that it still excludes you from the race everypony else is running.

It's hard to find a balance between civilian life and guardianship, and I'm not saying you should find it. That's a choice everypony has to make on their own terms. But there's nothing wrong with putting on a smile and having a good time, either. Anyway, I'm done with my super-rant, now."

"Bars? Alcohol?" Blueshield stared at them, looking a mixture of startled and irritated. "I hardly see any excuse for a pony of my stature to inhibit her mental functions via the consumption of intoxicants as a means of self-diversion. Alcohol is a root to all varieties of foul conduct, and I dare not partake of it."

She hesitated for a moment. When she spoke again, she seemed less sure of herself. "...Perhaps the company would do me good, however."
    "If the point is to get a treat, Apple Family Cider comes non-alcoholic. That stuff will change your life. And, of course, ice cream is the everpresent standby."

Night Jewel nodded. "Oh, you're quite right there, Miss Silver. I'm from the Mareabic deserts. I may return someday, when I have a more stable position in life. But for now, I'm staying where the best opportunities are, even if this place can be cold and miserable at times."
    "Ahh, Mareabia." Taylor gets a far-off look in his eyes. "Still a crying shame I've never been. You'd probably consider yourself to have seen enough sand and sun to last a lifetime, but aside from all that, what's it like over there?"
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

"Your place then?" Esmeralda giggled. "I was on my way there after all, when you walked like naked as your birthright. Icy's being a stiff, so it's no fun there."
    And so they went to Lone Star's place... which, considering that there was little heating, was oddly warm.

...Oh dear lord, he actually put up SO MANY BOOKS ON THE WALLS it keeps the place insulated?! How does THAT make any sense?! Where does the heat come from? Doesn't he take those down all the time to read? In fact, couldn't he just do that and-

SHUT UP! Lone Star yelled, throwing a book at the narratOW! It works, leave it alone!
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2013-12-17 at 04:05 AM.

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

"I think you overestimate the skills of the Cirrus in these matters, Mr Shores," the lieutenant said good naturedly. He wasn't really saying no, but his cautious streak was making itself felt again.

"And you're underestimating your crew, love."
    She nuzzled Silverpine. "Get in the holiday spirit, then your eyes will see, just how fun this could all be."

She looked at Sandy and nodded her head. "Thank you Shores, for your support. That's exactly the kind of mindset one should have!"

===

"Well, I was planning on a quiet day of reading... but I'm guessing that is now out of the window?" Icy said, as she reappeared with a cup of hot chocolate for Fox, marshmallows piled in a bowl and a cup of tea for herself. She set the ensemble down on the coffee table, and went to snuggle him.
    Fox looked agasp at her response and held at her hooves length by the forelegs, and unintentionally denying her, her snuggles. He stared at her furrowing his brows with a small concerned frown.

"Were you really planning on spending today, alone, reading?....You do know what today is right?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

And so they went to Lone Star's place... which, considering that there was little heating, was oddly warm.

...Oh dear lord, he actually put up SO MANY BOOKS ON THE WALLS it keeps the place insulated?! How does THAT make any sense?! Where does the heat come from? Doesn't he take those down all the time to read? In fact, couldn't he just do that and-

SHUT UP! Lone Star yelled, throwing a book at the narratOW! It works, leave it alone!
    Esmeralda blissfully missed the meta-argument that was going on the background. Instead she trotted towards one of the many stacks of books piled up high against the wall, whistling. "Star, you really do need to cut down on all these dusty tomes."

She nuzzled Silverpine. "Get in the holiday spirit, then your eyes will see, just how fun this could all be."

She looked at Sandy and nodded her head. "Thank you Shores, for your support. That's exactly the kind of mindset one should have!"
    Silverpine chuckled, and shook his head. "I guess I should. I just... well, I guess I'm just belly-achin' for nothing." He put on a smile for the two, then looked towards the giant tree that had been put up in the square, looking just a little wistful.

Fox looked agasp at her response and held at her hooves length by the forelegs, and unintentionally denying her, her snuggles. He stared at her furrowing his brows with a small concerned frown.

"Were you really planning on spending today, alone, reading?....You do know what today is right?"
    "Today is... winter?" Icy hazarded, clearly out of touch with time. She also looked mildly bemused by the lack of snuggles. Usually Fox was the one who eagerly jumped for PDAs.

"Attagal! That's the spirit!" Lemongrass said, smiling devilishly. Then he looked to Tyrol. "Twenty bits," he said, holding out his hoof expectantly.

Tyrol rolled his eyes. "Oh no. Our bet was when she drinks the cider. Not before. So you haven't won yet."

Lemongrass snorted. "What? This totally counts. Now pony up the bits."

"No uh. I know what we bet on and that's on her drinking first."

"Aw, you're such a stiff."

"I'm insinuating the exact opposite, actually. It's never a whim - it's something you just do. Like your whole life you've been waiting for the opportunity, and now that you can do something about it, you can't imagine doing anything else. I'll raise you one better, too. This call of ours leaves signs, marks of other types. I bet your cutie mark is as oriented towards this as you are. Something metaphorically or literally defensive, or both. Armor, shield, ward, and so on?

You don't have to answer that if you don't want to. Thing is, though - and this is where I slide into real judgment, so I apologize in advance - you strike me as the type of pony whose devotion takes the top of the list. I've seen that a couple of times, and I'll go so far to say it's a good thing, as extremes go. But I made that point earlier about what you do allowing the continuation of the lives of those around you as a reminder that it still excludes you from the race everypony else is running.

It's hard to find a balance between civilian life and guardianship, and I'm not saying you should find it. That's a choice everypony has to make on their own terms. But there's nothing wrong with putting on a smile and having a good time, either. Anyway, I'm done with my super-rant, now."

"If the point is to get a treat, Apple Family Cider comes non-alcoholic. That stuff will change your life. And, of course, ice cream is the everpresent standby."
    "Ma'am, you sound like Harten there. No offense," Lemongrass said, tweaking his ear.
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-12-17 at 10:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Up in the Clouds Above Bridle Shores]

"Nicely put."

There's a batpony hovering upside-down right above Snowstorm now, forehooves folded nonchalantly and wearing a lazy smirk, studying her with his good eye. How Purple Prose managed to get from his cloud to there without anybody's notice is- well, it's probably not that hard to believe, since nobody seemed to be paying any attention to him. And plus, Shadowbolt!

"Some ponies just want to see the world burn," he muses thoughtfully, "While others just want to do everything in their power to see that such a thing never comes to pass. Of course, they don't always bear cutie marks that reflect their passion for protection," he says with a knowing smirk, being one of those said exceptions.

The batpony gives a quick strong flap of one wing, and flips himself around right-side-up. "Anyway, I could wax philosophically and poetically on patriotic duty and guardianship and knowing how to balance between professionalism and not going overboard, buuuuuut that's boring," he shrugs. "It's the holidays. We should be talking about our favorite carols or what gifts we got our friends or something. Or food. Food is a good topic too," Prose says with a crooked grin.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

"Today is... winter?" Icy hazarded, clearly out of touch with time. She also looked mildly bemused by the lack of snuggles. Usually Fox was the one who eagerly jumped for PDAs.
    Fox sputtered. "Babe....Its Hearthswarming....OUR FIRST Hearthswarming together..." He gave her a light smooch on her muzzle. "I was hoping we could spend it together, maybe like a little family." He said as he lightly touched Icy's belly and went all sappy on her.
    Last edited by Benson; 2013-12-17 at 08:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Sandy threw a sharp salute to his Captain. "Aye-aye, Cap'n! I think we can figure it out; t'ain't th' first time we've had to pick up new skills on th' run. Besides, we've got pageant...experience..."

He fell silent, flashes of a very interesting trip to Trottingham running through his mind.

"Er...I'm not gonna have t'wear a dress in this one, right?" He coughed into his hoof, trying - and failing - to hide his steaming red cheeks.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Esmeralda blissfully missed the meta-argument that was going on the background. Instead she trotted towards one of the many stacks of books piled up high against the wall, whistling. "Star, you really do need to cut down on all these dusty tomes."
    They're how I make my living, Es. My books only make so much, I also run a library, remember. He replied. And I read a lot of them. A good book is like fine wine - ya can't let the dust on the outside fool ya.

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

"So it IS a mineral! Let's see...does it have spots?"

"I actually can't tell whether you're still joking, and that worries me a bit."

"Does it combine with something to make something else? Does it do tricks? Is it lethal?"
    "No, not necessarly, depends on what ya mean by 'tricks', 'n if ya use it right!"

"How about a nice book?" Again with the innocent tone, complete with batting eyelashes this time.

"Okay, now THAT was a joke."

"I could use a new read, actually. I didn't bring any materials here with me, and on the off-chance I get some free time, I can't well spend it all on calculations. Despite numbers being the foundation of the universe, spending a long time thinking about them is really dull."
    Blades nodded. "I see! I think I can find some nice readin' for ya. Ya like stories, or do ya prefer to learn new things from yar books?"

Blueshield looked rather insulted. "My mark is a shield, and I am well aware of what it means. I am not some developing foal requiring instruction into my life."

"I did not ask for advice on my current state of affairs, either."

For a moment, Blueshield calmed down. "I suppose those will do no harm, though..."

"Attagal! That's the spirit!" Lemongrass said, smiling devilishly. Then he looked to Tyrol. "Twenty bits," he said, holding out his hoof expectantly.

Tyrol rolled his eyes. "Oh no. Our bet was when she drinks the cider. Not before. So you haven't won yet."

Lemongrass snorted. "What? This totally counts. Now pony up the bits."

"No uh. I know what we bet on and that's on her drinking first."

"Aw, you're such a stiff."
    That moment was over. The Knight Commander gritted her teeth and flattened her ears against her skull.

"I do not appreciate your treatment of my decision to partake in your activities as a source of entertainment, particularly when said entertainment involves the staking of currency upon the outcome."

"Ahh, Mareabia." Taylor gets a far-off look in his eyes. "Still a crying shame I've never been. You'd probably consider yourself to have seen enough sand and sun to last a lifetime, but aside from all that, what's it like over there?"
    "It's... different from here. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's very open and free, and the sky is so clear and beautiful all the time. There aren't always a lot of resources there, though. The wandering merchants live the best there."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    [Up in the Clouds Above Bridle Shores]

"Nicely put."

There's a batpony hovering upside-down right above Snowstorm now, forehooves folded nonchalantly and wearing a lazy smirk, studying her with his good eye. How Purple Prose managed to get from his cloud to there without anybody's notice is- well, it's probably not that hard to believe, since nobody seemed to be paying any attention to him. And plus, Shadowbolt!

"Some ponies just want to see the world burn," he muses thoughtfully, "While others just want to do everything in their power to see that such a thing never comes to pass. Of course, they don't always bear cutie marks that reflect their passion for protection," he says with a knowing smirk, being one of those said exceptions.

The batpony gives a quick strong flap of one wing, and flips himself around right-side-up. "Anyway, I could wax philosophically and poetically on patriotic duty and guardianship and knowing how to balance between professionalism and not going overboard, buuuuuut that's boring," he shrugs. "It's the holidays. We should be talking about our favorite carols or what gifts we got our friends or something. Or food. Food is a good topic too," Prose says with a crooked grin.
    "I never got burning things." She says nonchalantly. "I mean, sure, I could see it being mildly pretty, waves of scorching and destruction notwithstanding, but after it's all over you need to wipe up the ashes and rebuild what you need. That and it's easy to singe yourself when you play with matches.

What do you usually do around the holidays? Are Shadowbolt present exchanges classified?"
    She grins and winks at him.

"No, not necessarly, depends on what ya mean by 'tricks', 'n if ya use it right!"
    "Soooo...Swiss Army Knife?"

"It doesn't necessarily have to be a knife..."

"So what, a Swiss Army Llama?"

"I can say that I know for sure those do not exist. Which is a shame. You can do a lot with Llamas."

Blades nodded. "I see! I think I can find some nice readin' for ya. Ya like stories, or do ya prefer to learn new things from yar books?"
    "Hmm...I like to think that good stories accomplish both. But if I had to choose one of those recreationally, I'd prefer to be entertained."

Blueshield looked rather insulted. "My mark is a shield, and I am well aware of what it means. I am not some developing foal requiring instruction into my life."

"I did not ask for advice on my current state of affairs, either."
    Snowstorm nods and put on the kind of smile one displays when they've achieved a goal but aren't happy about it. It's more a halfway point between reassuring expression and a grimace. "I knew two of those three. But I'm still flying blind. I barely know anything about you, but I'm going about trying to fix that. So I'm sorry. Try to keep in mind there's an underlying intent here that isn't malevolent, though - so if I end up saying something offensive again, it's not because I'm trying to, and I'm sorry again in advance. And also because I didn't really open with that intent. There's a lot of things I should've mentioned to start with, now that I think on it."

That moment was over. The Knight Commander gritted her teeth and flattened her ears against her skull.

"I do not appreciate your treatment of my decision to partake in your activities as a source of entertainment, particularly when said entertainment involves the staking of currency upon the outcome."
    Cue deadpan expression. "That being said, there's this thing called tact, you two. Outside of the movies, you're usually supposed to hedge bets when whoever you're betting on isn't actually right there."

"It's... different from here. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's very open and free, and the sky is so clear and beautiful all the time. There aren't always a lot of resources there, though. The wandering merchants live the best there."
    "Do those merchants stay between cities, or is there a decent tradeway between, say, there and Equestria?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

They're how I make my living, Es. My books only make so much, I also run a library, remember. He replied. And I read a lot of them. A good book is like fine wine - ya can't let the dust on the outside fool ya.
    "Really? Icy found that interesting. I don't quite see why," Esmeralda said with a bored tone, lifting a book off the shelves to flip idly through it. Truly, her other "twin" was of opposite inclination to the original.

For a moment, Blueshield calmed down. "I suppose those will do no harm, though..."

Cue deadpan expression. "That being said, there's this thing called tact, you two. Outside of the movies, you're usually supposed to hedge bets when whoever you're betting on isn't actually right there."
    Even Lemongrass, naturally oblivious as he was, could suddenly feel the weight of disapproval being heaped on the pair. Tyrol quickly stepped in to retrieve the situation. "My apologies, Miss Blueshield. Lemongrass here likes to bet on anything and everything. It's nothing personal. If we have offended you, then my most sincere apologies. I'm sure loudmouth here would be more than happy to buy us all a round of cider."

"But--"

Tyrol coughed loudly. "I said, loudmouth here would be more than happy to buy us a round of cider."

Lemongrass looked at Blueshield. Then at Snowstorm. Then sighed, ears folding in defeat. "... fine."

Fox sputtered. "Babe....Its Hearthswarming....OUR FIRST Hearthswarming together..." He gave her a light smooch on her muzzle. "I was hoping we could spend it together, maybe like a little family." He said as he lightly touched Icy's belly and went all sappy on her.
    "... oh, is it Hearth's Warming already? I could've swore that was a week off," Icy said, blinking. Silly mare could be so nerdy at times. She had to chuckle at the sap Fox was practically exuding, nuzzling him. "Yes... I suppose we better make it a special occasion then."

Sandy threw a sharp salute to his Captain. "Aye-aye, Cap'n! I think we can figure it out; t'ain't th' first time we've had to pick up new skills on th' run. Besides, we've got pageant...experience..."

He fell silent, flashes of a very interesting trip to Trottingham running through his mind.

"Er...I'm not gonna have t'wear a dress in this one, right?" He coughed into his hoof, trying - and failing - to hide his steaming red cheeks.
    "... No, Mr Shores. I'm sure we don't need to repeat that particular experience," Silverpine said with a deadpan.
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-12-18 at 01:52 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I never got burning things." She says nonchalantly. "I mean, sure, I could see it being mildly pretty, waves of scorching and destruction notwithstanding, but after it's all over you need to wipe up the ashes and rebuild what you need. That and it's easy to singe yourself when you play with matches.

What do you usually do around the holidays? Are Shadowbolt present exchanges classified?"
    She grins and winks at him.
    "I personally enjoy my downtime, watch a few Hearthswarming Eve plays and pageants, attend a party or two, and indulge in a variety of festive snacks, hot cocoas, and coffees," Purple Prose observes aloofly.

His expression then goes flat. "And I can neither confirm or deny the holiday gift-giving tendencies of Her Majesty's Shadowbolts," he deadpans, before giving a small, playful wink.

He opts to stay out of the small conflict between Blueshield and the other ponies. Not really his business or place to get involved there...

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

"... No, Mr Shores. I'm sure we don't need to repeat that particular experience," Silverpine said with a deadpan.

"Not that kind of pageant Shores, two different things....but...you'll only have to wear a dress if you really want to,"
    She grinned.

"Anyways, the Civic Center is sorta the host, gonna be in the town park, other venues were too pricey or something."

"... oh, is it Hearth's Warming already? I could've swore that was a week off," Icy said, blinking. Silly mare could be so nerdy at times. She had to chuckle at the sap Fox was practically exuding, nuzzling him. "Yes... I suppose we better make it a special occasion then."

"Oh Icy..."
    He chuckled at her response about not knowing it was Hearthswarming. Another light nuzzle for his nerdy lady. "Anyways...I was thinking....something a little winter wonderland.....Oh!.....maybe we can get some festive decorations for your...spartan house......and then winter wonderland date stuffs." He looked around the livingroom and took the moment to also take a sip from his cocoa on the coffee table.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

"Really? Icy found that interesting. I don't quite see why," Esmeralda said with a bored tone, lifting a book off the shelves to flip idly through it. Truly, her other "twin" was of opposite inclination to the original.
    Lone Star shrugged as he went to make hot chocolate. I've got voices in my head. Nopony's perfect.

Es had grabbed a book entitled Whole Ruins by White Swan. From her brief glances, it seemed a sci-fi action story about three armies clashing for control of a powerful artifact. The perspective shifted between the three factions - a race of various anthromorphic animals with powerful technology, a hive-minded race of psychics, and a single squad of super soldiers.

... Apparently this was not one of the 'wine bottles' Lone Star was talking about.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2013-12-18 at 09:12 PM.

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Soooo...Swiss Army Knife?"

"It doesn't necessarily have to be a knife..."

"So what, a Swiss Army Llama?"

"I can say that I know for sure those do not exist. Which is a shame. You can do a lot with Llamas."
    "It's a lil' hard to get llamas up here. Not even parts of 'em. It's not a llama, at any rate. I spose it's got a part with a knife-like quality, though..."

"Hmm...I like to think that good stories accomplish both. But if I had to choose one of those recreationally, I'd prefer to be entertained."
    Blades grinned. "Great! Just workin' 'n tryin' to think all the time is a lil' tirin' sometimes. I'll see what I've got for ya in a bit, then. I think I've got a couple of adventure books by Long Story that I haven't read in a while."

Snowstorm nods and put on the kind of smile one displays when they've achieved a goal but aren't happy about it. It's more a halfway point between reassuring expression and a grimace. "I knew two of those three. But I'm still flying blind. I barely know anything about you, but I'm going about trying to fix that. So I'm sorry. Try to keep in mind there's an underlying intent here that isn't malevolent, though - so if I end up saying something offensive again, it's not because I'm trying to, and I'm sorry again in advance. And also because I didn't really open with that intent. There's a lot of things I should've mentioned to start with, now that I think on it."
    "...I suppose your intentions were acceptable, although your methods were a little lacking. I suggest an alternative method for acquiring familiarity. Normal introductions should not involve the complete dissection of another pony's personal matters."

Even Lemongrass, naturally oblivious as he was, could suddenly feel the weight of disapproval being heaped on the pair. Tyrol quickly stepped in to retrieve the situation. "My apologies, Miss Blueshield. Lemongrass here likes to bet on anything and everything. It's nothing personal. If we have offended you, then my most sincere apologies. I'm sure loudmouth here would be more than happy to buy us all a round of cider."

"But--"

Tyrol coughed loudly. "I said, loudmouth here would be more than happy to buy us a round of cider."

Lemongrass looked at Blueshield. Then at Snowstorm. Then sighed, ears folding in defeat. "... fine."
    Blueshield calmed down again. "Better. Thank you." She gave a nod. "Your respect is appreciated. Now, where would your bar happen to be?"

"Do those merchants stay between cities, or is there a decent tradeway between, say, there and Equestria?"
    "Naturally! The trade routes between here and there are less active than they once were due to some foals trying to earn banditry cutie marks by pillaging them, but they're becoming more active. Without the merchants, I don't know how I'd have come here. It's a lot harder to trek all the way across the desert on foot by yourself than it is to stow away in a caravan-"

Night Jewel stopped herself, but too late. Way to go, girl. At this rate, you'll be confessing your whole history to the paladin soon enough. How are you going to explain this?

"...You remember Daniel's joke about sneaking into caravans, don't you?" It's kind of like that, only not a joke, she added internally.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    "I personally enjoy my downtime, watch a few Hearthswarming Eve plays and pageants, attend a party or two, and indulge in a variety of festive snacks, hot cocoas, and coffees," Purple Prose observes aloofly.

His expression then goes flat. "And I can neither confirm or deny the holiday gift-giving tendencies of Her Majesty's Shadowbolts," he deadpans, before giving a small, playful wink.

He opts to stay out of the small conflict between Blueshield and the other ponies. Not really his business or place to get involved there...
    "Well now you've gone and piqued my curiosity. What's everypony think; five makes a party for the bar scene?"

"It's a lil' hard to get llamas up here. Not even parts of 'em. It's not a llama, at any rate. I spose it's got a part with a knife-like quality, though..."
    "Hey Brains, got any llamas in your posse?"

"Mm, no. I've seen one or two, but they don't stay around for very long. Though I think a conversation with one would be fascinating."

"What would they even have to talk about? Different ways to chew grass?"

"No, no - cows have much more to say on that subject."

"There are multiple theses on the subject."

"I'm not sure what bugs me more. That theses about that are a thing or that you two would probably read them."

"Apparently you can burn up to five times the calories if you work certain muscles during the process."

"I've heard it was more like seven. Of course, it wasn't from a really reliable source..."

"Eight is theoretically possible, but the physical dynamics get sketchier the closer you draw to an order of magnitude."

"Okay. I'm vetoing this conversation right now."

Blades grinned. "Great! Just workin' 'n tryin' to think all the time is a lil' tirin' sometimes. I'll see what I've got for ya in a bit, then. I think I've got a couple of adventure books by Long Story that I haven't read in a while."
    "Mm, really? I haven't had the pleasure, but I've read astounding reviews."

"Woah woah woah. Woah. Woah. Wait. There are reviews on books? As in, literally reading about reading a book? Are there reviews of reviews? How deep does it go?"

"Any commentary on original subject matter composed by another individual is technically a review. Therefore, a review of a review of a review of a review is quite common during, for examples, debates on debates, which-"

Starbeam finds herself suddenly unable to speak thanks to the cookie that now inhabits her mouth. "Not a serious question. Let the moment pass."

"...I suppose your intentions were acceptable, although your methods were a little lacking. I suggest an alternative method for acquiring familiarity. Normal introductions should not involve the complete dissection of another pony's personal matters."
    "Natural progress, huh?" This time, her smile is the normal kind. "I can do that."

"Naturally! The trade routes between here and there are less active than they once were due to some foals trying to earn banditry cutie marks by pillaging them, but they're becoming more active. Without the merchants, I don't know how I'd have come here. It's a lot harder to trek all the way across the desert on foot by yourself than it is to stow away in a caravan-"

Night Jewel stopped herself, but too late. Way to go, girl. At this rate, you'll be confessing your whole history to the paladin soon enough. How are you going to explain this?

"...You remember Daniel's joke about sneaking into caravans, don't you?" It's kind of like that, only not a joke, she added internally.
    "Huh?" Taylor shakes his head at her final question. "Sorry, you lost me back at 'banditry cutie marks'. Is...that a recent thing?"

Silver smirks. "Hmm. I can already tell the next thing out of your mouth is going to involve the phrase 'back in my day...'."

Taylor puts a hoof on his chest in mock protest. "Hey, I'm old. Cut me some slack."

"Unfortunately for you, dear, I'm old, too." She chuckles and gives him a quick nuzzle.

"Is the state of the roads a reflection on the political makeup of the general area?" Dawnstrider asks interestedly. "Or is it simply a matter of international borders lacking certain protections?"