New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [FWM] Backstage: CUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Esmeralda looked thoughtful for a moment. "... I just found it curious the banker thought hoarding money was so fun. I mean, how does one leave their life alone like that? Oh, and something, something about spirits from the past, present and future. That was novel." Well, at least she didn't miss the message entirely?
    He chuckled. Yeah... Lone Star decided not to point out she'd missed the point.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

They did eventually run into her. Sort of. Well, more like Lemongrass did. Literally. The two somehow managed to butt heads into each other, sending the pegasus reeling back. "Owowowowow!"

Tyrol quickly stepped in to apologise. "Very sorry Miss... Staccata? Why are you here?" he said, blinking.
    Staccata definitely 'oof's as she's run into. The fact of the matter is she's not exactly paying the most attention to every single little detail like normal. She gives a short glare at Lemongrass before replying.

"I'm trying to make it through all this,"
    she replies waving a hoof at a pair of ponies in a ball of violence fighting over the last "Cake Industries Super Sampler 4500" being sold at a stall. "Without going insane."

The mare doesn't seem very 'in' to the season.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    He chuckled. Yeah... Lone Star decided not to point out she'd missed the point.
    Esmeralda giggled, then nuzzling into Lone Star's neck. "Mmmmm, so what now...?" she asked, a hint of teasing promise in her voice.

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Staccata definitely 'oof's as she's run into. The fact of the matter is she's not exactly paying the most attention to every single little detail like normal. She gives a short glare at Lemongrass before replying.

"I'm trying to make it through all this,"
    she replies waving a hoof at a pair of ponies in a ball of violence fighting over the last "Cake Industries Super Sampler 4500" being sold at a stall. "Without going insane."

The mare doesn't seem very 'in' to the season.
    "Huh. You don't like the crowds?" Tyrol asked, blinking. He might be a little too literal minded to get the hint.

4. - Top - End - #94

"Huh. You don't like the crowds?" Tyrol asked, blinking. He might be a little too literal minded to get the hint.
    Staccata keeps a sourpuss grimace on after that remark. Meanwhile ponies around town are going crazy... er... than normal pony. Meanwhile, the band senses its moment and starts up. (A Hearth's Warming without needless music numbers doesn't seem right)

At least it isn't going to grate on the ears, Staccata is a trained and cutie-marked singer. Anypony around is always welcome to add in a verse or duet or back-and-forth during this, of course.

"It's a magical season, so everpony says.
    When the nights are chilly and it snows on most days.
    We laugh and celebrate and help all those in need."

Staccata slides over to the shopping ponies and takes hold of the object of their desire, calming them momentarily.

"And then... we throw it all away, to slake our endless greeeeeeeed."

The mare tosses it back at the ponies and they begin fighting again. There's going to be a lot of cutaways to areas that illustrate the lyrics, so Tyrol and Lemongrass better keep up.

"Ponies maul each other to save a coin or two.
    They greet and wish you well, until they turn on you.
    All of this money on lights but what the hay,
    It's better than only seeing the sky's sickly tone of grey.
    You see hidden misery just beneath your sight.
    No wonder the season causes everyone to fight.
    Every sin is present from wrath to gluttony.
    And everypony's happy but me."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

Icy giggled, holding a hoof to her lips in mock contemplation. "Well. This queen might allow you a brief stay in order to gaze upon her beauty so that you may appreciate it better."

"Oh my gracious lady, I thank ye for thine gift of your presence. Now...if I may make a request....I would like to smooch the muzzle of my queen.."
    He smirked and bowed his head, glancing up at her.

As these shenanigans happened, there was a knock at Icy's door.
    ================================

That Park in the Middle of Town with small pony made lake

Twas a winter wonderland as the trio made that fifteen or so minute walk through to town. It was cold, so Gearstride stuck by Silverpine, playfully rubbing up against him once in a while if only to also get a rise out of her dear lieutenant.

There was a stage set up, constructed from scratch, a gathering of ponies around, most on stage with the painted sets in the back ground. There was one pony, a mare with a director's cap, yelling at one of the stage hands about something, something about blown fuses and the unicorn who was supposed to do the effects for the windigos had come down with a cold. The windigos were to be made out of actual snow!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Staccata keeps a sourpuss grimace on after that remark. Meanwhile ponies around town are going crazy... er... than normal pony. Meanwhile, the band senses its moment and starts up. (A Hearth's Warming without needless music numbers doesn't seem right)

At least it isn't going to grate on the ears, Staccata is a trained and cutie-marked singer. Anypony around is always welcome to add in a verse or duet or back-and-forth during this, of course.

Staccata slides over to the shopping ponies and takes hold of the object of their desire, calming them momentarily.

The mare tosses it back at the ponies and they begin fighting again. There's going to be a lot of cutaways to areas that illustrate the lyrics, so Tyrol and Lemongrass better keep up.

(Oh boy, a song. My one weakness. I must answer this with one of my own! But I need time x.x )

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post

"Oh my gracious lady, I thank ye for thine gift of your presence. Now...if I may make a request....I would like to smooch the muzzle of my queen.."
    He smirked and bowed his head, glancing up at her.

As these shenanigans happened, there was a knock at Icy's door.
    Icy held out a white shod hoof to beckon Fox over. "Yes, I might just allow th—" The knock on the door interrupted her monologue before it had even begun.

"Who is it?" Icy snapped, a little irritated.

Twas a winter wonderland as the trio made that fifteen or so minute walk through to town. It was cold, so Gearstride stuck by Silverpine, playfully rubbing up against him once in a while if only to also get a rise out of her dear lieutenant.

There was a stage set up, constructed from scratch, a gathering of ponies around, most on stage with the painted sets in the back ground. There was one pony, a mare with a director's cap, yelling at one of the stage hands about something, something about blown fuses and the unicorn who was supposed to do the effects for the windigos had come down with a cold. The windigos were to be made out of actual snow!
    That might explain why the lieutenant seemed hot and bothered by the time they reached the set, Silverpine frantically gesturing at Gearstride to stop teasing him!

When they reached the set, the lieutenant paused to take in the sights. Then he turned to Gear with a helpless expression. "Um... so who do we talk to?"

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Icy held out a white shod hoof to beckon Fox over. "Yes, I might just allow th—" The knock on the door interrupted her monologue before it had even begun.

"Who is it?" Icy snapped, a little irritated.

The moment the question dripped out of her mouth, the door jiggled and then slammed opened as a stallion dressed up in a Santa Hooves suit grandly stepped in.

"Oh ho ho ho to the young couple!"
    Twas Balboa...dressed in mentioned suit, carrying a red sack over his back. Behind him stood Astrid who was scribbling down something on her note pad. She was dressed as an elven pony complete with a green jingling hat. She had a neutral expression on her face as she then stared at Icy and Fox.

Fox's jaw fell as he stared all agasp, his face turning red in sputtering anger.

"Hahah oh ho...Oh Foxy! My son...Happy Hearthswarming! Don't look so red, tis not a season for such things hahah oh ho ho!"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

Esmeralda giggled, then nuzzling into Lone Star's neck. "Mmmmm, so what now...?" she asked, a hint of teasing promise in her voice.
    I wonder~ He purred, petting the mare's mane.

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

That might explain why the lieutenant seemed hot and bothered by the time they reached the set, Silverpine frantically gesturing at Gearstride to stop teasing him!

When they reached the set, the lieutenant paused to take in the sights. Then he turned to Gear with a helpless expression. "Um... so who do we talk to?"
    Sandy, true to form, remained blissfully unaware of his dear friend's predicament.

"I'd wager it's that pony over there. Th' one givin' out all th' orders?" Sandy offered, pointing to the mare in the impressive-looking hat. "Y'sure th' cold ain't gettin' t'you, Silverpine? Your cheeks are lookin' awful red," he added with concern. "Maybe y'ought t'find someplace t'warm up once we get our parts?"

Sandy, ever the dutiful volunteer, trotted on ahead to the director and threw her a tidy salute. "Three more volunteers for your production, ma'am, courtesy of th' good ship Cirrus! Ready an' willin' t'help any way we can!"
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    Snowstorm glances up at the cloud cover above them, already, it seems, making an attempt to determine how best to abet their task. "Are you going for a bird's-eye view or something closer to the ground?"
    "Aerial positioning allows greater visibility in all directions. One's area of vision from the ground is only half that from the air, and one should always be prepared for attacks from above. I know better than to think in only two dimensions."

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Prose pulls another scroll of parchment and a writing quill out of his hoodie, and starts to scribble on the paper as he idle hovers along after Blueshield, lazily flapping his wings to propel his cloud forward and keep up with her. "Uh huh. I admire you dedication to duty and professionalism. But I gotta wonder, how often do you go on these patrols?" he casually inquires. "Do you always do your rounds on a regular basis, at around the same times, to keep a 'proper' pattern?"
    "Usually once or twice a day. I prefer to do so in the mornings or evenings, or when I simply feel restless."

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360
    Starbeam taps her chin with a hoof. "Hmm. I hadn't thought of that. But there are plenty of mineral combinations that can be, mm, shall we say volatile when put together the right way. I'm sure we can figure out a display from all of that."

Stellar inhales deeply and sighs. "I can smell the sulfur already."
    Blades thought for a bit. "Smell... Hey, girls! I just had a thought! What if ya put some spices or something into 'em? Then it'll be a blast 'n fill the air with a nice scent, too!"

Silver furrows her eyebrows. She appears...worried? "Glorified? How so?"

Taylor, of course, has different lines of query based purely in the realm of curiosity. "Would you say they're held to the same general standard?"
    "They're supposed to be held to the same standard. In practice, they're pretty much called in to deal with particularly troublesome criminals and left to do whatever they want the rest of the time."

Dawnstrider nods. "I am impressed by your display of wisdom. It is a matter that requires no small amount of deliberation."

Taylor waves a hoof airily. "Not to mention that you have years and years to decide whether that's what you want to do with your life or not."

"Regardless of whether you feel it is your chosen path, feel free to inquire with the intent of forming an understanding, if you so desire." He seems a little like somepony fishing. Much like a scholar giving a lecture on their own book, it looks like he wants to sate a curiosity in somepony else, as opposed to getting to an actual point.

Taylor murmurs assent. "Mm. Ironically, for a system that's based on black and white morality, they're not as cut and dry as one might think." His comment is matter-of-fact, a bit of data passed off-hoofedly down a generation.

Silver gives Dawnstrider an aside glance and smiles. "Also, it gives Dawn a chance to express his undying love for Sword Saint."

"Mmph. I prefer 'healthy respect'." Would that be the cold weather again, or another blush?
    "Well... I'll ask a little later. I'm interested in learning more, but I'd rather have a bit more privacy to discuss it." Night Jewel gave a meaningful glance to Dawnstrider.

"So, are we going to see the festivities now?"
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post
    "Aerial positioning allows greater visibility in all directions. One's area of vision from the ground is only half that from the air, and one should always be prepared for attacks from above. I know better than to think in only two dimensions."
    "I was actually asking how high you planned on going, and where you wanted this cloud cover in relation to that."

Blades thought for a bit. "Smell... Hey, girls! I just had a thought! What if ya put some spices or something into 'em? Then it'll be a blast 'n fill the air with a nice scent, too!"
    "My first instinct it to stick 'em full of pure capsaicin, but..."

"But that might hurt the crowd."

"Right, that too."

"Well, they used to call certain types of fireworks Army Candles. Why not make actual candles?"

"The phrase 'volatile candle wax' just jumped into my head and it didn't exactly fill me with confidence."

"Scented beeswax could easily be coated in nitroglycerin. All you need to do is tap it from a certain distance."

"..."

"..."

"Okay, in fariness, none of that was from me. What's napoglyceride?"

"Point is, there's plenty of ways to do this."

"We could each do it a different way and use the results in tandem."

"They're supposed to be held to the same standard. In practice, they're pretty much called in to deal with particularly troublesome criminals and left to do whatever they want the rest of the time."
    "This is starting to get ominous. Who sends them in? Do they answer to a higher authority?"

"Well... I'll ask a little later. I'm interested in learning more, but I'd rather have a bit more privacy to discuss it." Night Jewel gave a meaningful glance to Dawnstrider.

"So, are we going to see the festivities now?"
    "I don't think I'd be adverse to a nice stroll."

"I heard rumors of some sort of pageant. Is it the Hearth's Warming Story?"

"Possibly. We'll need to get Star and Sovereign watching that at some point."

"Stellar."

"Right, sorry."

"Also, I think somepony is singing an existentialist carol about the dangers of capitalism."

"Already? Wow, this town is on the ball."
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Tyrol blinked, a little confused by the sudden outburst of song. Lemongrass chuckled and added his voice to the rejoinder.

"Tis' indeed a magical season.
    For Hearth's Warming's here.
    To celebrate those dark days long past~"

The pair stared at the scene, momentarily transfixed by the item that she was holding.

Then they promptly was overrun by the mob as they started chasing after it.

It took some time before Tyrol and Lemongrass managed to crawl out of the melee, and threw themselves onto the ground next to Staccata. Then Tyrol picked himself up, and turned to hold Staccata's hoof.

"... Staccata, really now..." he said softly, letting his soft green eyes drink in her features. The music band, somehow sensing the song, changed their tune.

Spoiler
    Show
    When I close my eyes
    All I do is think of you
    And I wonder if you feel the same way too

Will tonight be the night
    That everything will be just right?
    Beneath the wreaths of green
    I see it in my dreams

We're all finding our way
    Through another holiday
    Wrapping hopes and dreams
    In angel's wings tonight

Time to give and receive
    But the only gift I need
    Is to share this day and every day with you

On my Hearth's Warming list
    There's a wish I hope will come true
    That this holiday brings me one step closer to you

Let tonight be the night
    That every star's a diamond light
    The smile in your eye's
    A beautiful surprise

Through another holiday
    In angel's wings tonight

Time to give and receive
    But the only gift I need

What do I see (What do I see)
    In the morning light
    My yuletide dream became reality

It's the greatest holiday
    Cathching hopes and dreams
    On angel's wings tonight

You're my heart, you're my home
    You're the hope I've always known
    When I share this day and every day with you

(Joy to the world)

Flying high on my angel's wing tonight

(Joy to the world)

Share this day

(Joy to the world)

Day with you

Share this day

Day with you

(Joy to the world)

Share the day

Just me and you

(Joy to the world)

Me and you

(Joy to the world)

Share this day

(Yes, unabashedly stolen. I really can't make up lyrics to save my life.)

[/SIZE]
    The moment the question dripped out of her mouth, the door jiggled and then slammed opened as a stallion dressed up in a Santa Hooves suit grandly stepped in.

"Oh ho ho ho to the young couple!"
    Twas Balboa...dressed in mentioned suit, carrying a red sack over his back. Behind him stood Astrid who was scribbling down something on her note pad. She was dressed as an elven pony complete with a green jingling hat. She had a neutral expression on her face as she then stared at Icy and Fox.

Fox's jaw fell as he stared all agasp, his face turning red in sputtering anger.

"Hahah oh ho...Oh Foxy! My son...Happy Hearthswarming! Don't look so red, tis not a season for such things hahah oh ho ho!"
    Icy scowled at the intruding presence. "Mr Balboa. I must insist you step out of my house this instant! This is private property!" She gestured at the stallion towards the door.

I wonder~ He purred, petting the mare's mane.
    Esemralda giggled, then turned to nibble at his ears. It was something she liked to do. "So coy, my dear Star? It's been awhile..."
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-12-26 at 12:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

Tyrol blinked, a little confused by the sudden outburst of song. Lemongrass chuckled and added his voice to the rejoinder.

"Tis' indeed a magical season.
    For Hearth's Warming's here.
    To celebrate those dark days long past~"

The pair stared at the scene, momentarily transfixed by the item that she was holding.

Then they promptly was overrun by the mob as they started chasing after it.

It took some time before Tyrol and Lemongrass managed to crawl out of the melee, and threw themselves onto the ground next to Staccata. Then Tyrol picked himself up, and turned to hold Staccata's hoof.

"... Staccata, really now..." he said softly, letting his soft green eyes drink in her features. The music band, somehow sensing the song, changed their tune.

Spoiler
    Show
    When I close my eyes
    All I do is think of you
    And I wonder if you feel the same way too

Will tonight be the night
    That everything will be just right?
    Beneath the wreaths of green
    I see it in my dreams

Through another holiday
    In angel's wings tonight

Time to give and receive
    But the only gift I need

On my Hearth's Warming list
    There's a wish I hope will come true
    That this holiday brings me one step closer to you

Let tonight be the night
    That every star's a diamond light
    The smile in your eye's
    A beautiful surprise

Through another holiday
    In angel's wings tonight

Time to give and receive
    But the only gift I need

What do I see (What do I see)
    In the morning light
    My yuletide dream became reality

Cathching hopes and dreams
    On angel's wings tonight

(Joy to the world)

Flying high on my angel's wing tonight

(Joy to the world)

Share this day

(Joy to the world)

Day with you

Share this day

Day with you

(Joy to the world)

Share the day

Just me and you

(Joy to the world)

Me and you

(Joy to the world)

Share this day
    And so the song ends, and ponies on the street throw some bits the way of the backup-music band. Then the musicians run off presumably because somepony is about to start talking about the importance of family or something.

Staccata meanwhile is getting a little misty-eyed. She walks up to Taylor and gives him a little nuzzle. "Can we just go home right now?"
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I was actually asking how high you planned on going, and where you wanted this cloud cover in relation to that."
    "It is not a necessity that you make drastic adjustments to the local environment. The weather can be what it was going to be. The risk of missing additional threats is not severe, and the damage from interfering with local weather would most likely be more extreme in any case."

"My first instinct it to stick 'em full of pure capsaicin, but..."

"But that might hurt the crowd."

"Right, that too."

"Well, they used to call certain types of fireworks Army Candles. Why not make actual candles?"

"The phrase 'volatile candle wax' just jumped into my head and it didn't exactly fill me with confidence."

"Scented beeswax could easily be coated in nitroglycerin. All you need to do is tap it from a certain distance."

"..."

"..."

"Okay, in fariness, none of that was from me. What's napoglyceride?"

"Point is, there's plenty of ways to do this."

"We could each do it a different way and use the results in tandem."
    "Ni-tro-glysrin?" Blades cocked her head, thought for a bit, then nodded. "Think I've heard of it. It could go off if ya drop it too hard. Might make nice fireworks if ya could get it 'n keep 'em from goin' off too early..."

And if there was nothing else to discuss, they would set about making some good explosives. Blades wasn't too concerned about safety, but Arvadraa and Starbeam could probably help keep her from killing anyone indirectly, at least.

"This is starting to get ominous. Who sends them in? Do they answer to a higher authority?"
    "They have their own hierarchy. I'm not an expert, but I think it's devotion to their cause and general skill that helps them rise in rank. Of course, the only active duty I've seen has been pretty much entirely directed by a certain commander, so the higher-ups don't seem to meddle much."

"I don't think I'd be adverse to a nice stroll."

"I heard rumors of some sort of pageant. Is it the Hearth's Warming Story?"

"Possibly. We'll need to get Star and Sovereign watching that at some point."

"Stellar."

"Right, sorry."

"Also, I think somepony is singing an existentialist carol about the dangers of capitalism."

"Already? Wow, this town is on the ball."
    "Ooh, a play! I haven't seen one of those in a while!" Night Jewel hopped a bit in place. "I'd love to see it! I wonder when and where it will be?"

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

"It is not a necessity that you make drastic adjustments to the local environment. The weather can be what it was going to be. The risk of missing additional threats is not severe, and the damage from interfering with local weather would most likely be more extreme in any case."
    "I'm not sure if it's different where you come from, which is why I'm asking, but here in Equestria, pegasi dictate the weather. Most of today's cover is nimbostratus that I brought in, myself."

"Ni-tro-glysrin?" Blades cocked her head, thought for a bit, then nodded. "Think I've heard of it. It could go off if ya drop it too hard. Might make nice fireworks if ya could get it 'n keep 'em from goin' off too early..."

And if there was nothing else to discuss, they would set about making some good explosives. Blades wasn't too concerned about safety, but Arvadraa and Starbeam could probably help keep her from killing anyone indirectly, at least.
    And, in fact, Starbeam is keeping a force shield in hair trigger. The two mares seem to have come to the unspoken agreement that Arvadraa keeps and eye on Blades while Star concentrates on Stellar. Unsurprisingly, the youngest of the group appears to be shooting for elegance in simplicity - her device is little more than a miniature forcecage with as many color augmentations and concussive detonation spells as she can cram in.

Arvadraa is slowly but surely working on her own suggestion. The scented beeswax is easy for her to come by, and Horne is more than willing to add his chemistry degree to the mix for a little dynamite.

Starbeam appears to be formulating the most complicated mix of technology and magic she possibly can. Her firework already has seven shifting parts and three sources of detonation. This mix is kept inside a glowing purple force field not unlike Stellar's, except this one is shaped into the form of an arrow instead of a lump of folded mass.

"They have their own hierarchy. I'm not an expert, but I think it's devotion to their cause and general skill that helps them rise in rank. Of course, the only active duty I've seen has been pretty much entirely directed by a certain commander, so the higher-ups don't seem to meddle much."
    "Devotion, huh? I'll reserve judgment but note that such a practice could end up being very good or very bad."

"You're still going to want to visit, aren't you."

"Sure! We can bring the whole crew. Take a vacation."

"Historically, our vacations tend to end badly. Also, I elect myself to be the first to negotiate Daniel's way out of jail if Moonshine does not manage to restrain him first."

"Don't worry about you, worry about the other inmates. I guarantee he cheats at poker."

"I'm sure he'd be tickled that neither of you are batting an eyelash as to the prospect of his winding up in prison."

"It's Daniel in what sounds like law central."

"Even if he finds no crimes to put a stop to, it is likely he will end up insulting the wrong pony in a bar or undergo similar unfortunate circumstances."

"Ooh, a play! I haven't seen one of those in a while!" Night Jewel hopped a bit in place. "I'd love to see it! I wonder when and where it will be?"
    "Well...let's see...ah." He strolls over to a random nearby pony, in this case one of the patients from the clinic that was discharged after having a bone reset earlier the previous day. "Morning, Dande. Nice to see that leg's still holding up well. You and Poppy going to go see the play at some point? We're all trying to decide on it; think it depends on the when and where."
    Last edited by Kelvin360; 2013-12-26 at 11:44 AM.
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Bridle Shores Park

Gearstride playfully elbowed Silverpine after Sandy happily trotted off and grinned. "I do agree with Shores...about you finding someplace warm later hahah heh." She gave him a wink and trotted on after Sandy looking back once at Silverpine and sticking her tongue out at him.
    --

"Oh goody, the cirrus crew~" The director changed her tune as Sandy approached. She then woefully sighed and shook her head. "And not a moment to too soon...so many issues on the day of the play I felt close to shutting all production down, le siiiigh."

"Well, not too worry ma'am, we're here, willing to lend a hoof wherever we can, however we can!"
    Gearstride enthusiastically, if a little hammily exclaimed.

"Right, well wonderful...well, I'm Miss Soliloquy, director AND producer of Bridle Shores' Hearthswarming pageant," She gave a short bow.

=====

Icy's Place

"Oh ho ho...lovely to see you too Miss Icy Touch, lovely as ever, like a ice sculpture,"
    He winked and seemed to ignore her 'warnings'.

"Tsk tsk....please...you two...I mean no ill will to either of you...I am simply here on a truce.....call it the holiday spirit deeply instilled in me....I simply desire to spend it with family~"
    He cheerfully smiled and helped himself inside as Astrid shut the door behind them.

"What game are you playing at?"
    Fox narrowed his eyes and lowered his head, ears straight up, tail swishing.

"I play no games, save for any family board games hahah...but seriously...I come here with an offering of peace, that at least for today we can put aside our...differences,"
    He said, his eyes going wide, looking sincere, his muzzle forming a small frown.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Esemralda giggled, then turned to nibble at his ears. It was something she liked to do. "So coy, my dear Star? It's been awhile..."
    Lone Star chuckled and snuggled up closer as she nibbled his ear. Too long for my taste~

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

"Well...let's see...ah." He strolls over to a random nearby pony, in this case one of the patients from the clinic that was discharged after having a bone reset earlier the previous day. "Morning, Dande. Nice to see that leg's still holding up well. You and Poppy going to go see the play at some point? We're all trying to decide on it; think it depends on the when and where."
    The pony in question - a golden yellow stallion with a green mane - nodded approvingly. "We're sure planning on it; Poppy's got the oven fired up for some in-show snacks and I'm off to see about drinks. The show's tonight, by the lake in the park. If you can, you should take your family out to see it, Doc. I hear it's a real class production this year; magical special effects, a hoof-crafted stage, and all run from ponies in-town. If you do go, I'm sure Poppy wouldn't mind making some extra food for you and yours." The stallion smiled appreciatively. "It's the least we can do after that miracle you worked on my leg."

Bridle Shores Park

Gearstride playfully elbowed Silverpine after Sandy happily trotted off and grinned. "I do agree with Shores...about you finding someplace warm later hahah heh." She gave him a wink and trotted on after Sandy looking back once at Silverpine and sticking her tongue out at him.
    --

"Oh goody, the cirrus crew~" The director changed her tune as Sandy approached. She then woefully sighed and shook her head. "And not a moment to too soon...so many issues on the day of the play I felt close to shutting all production down, le siiiigh."

"Well, not too worry ma'am, we're here, willing to lend a hoof wherever we can, however we can!"

"Right, well wonderful...well, I'm Miss Soliloquy, director AND producer of Bridle Shores' Hearthswarming pageant," She gave a short bow.
    "G'afternoon an' Merry Hearth's Warmin', Miss Soliloquy. Sargent Sandy Shores, reportin' for duty," Sandy introduced himself, bowing politely in return. "I overheard y'needin' a unicorn? An' somepony t'mess with th' fuses? I ain't th' most clever with spellweavin', but I reckon I know m'way around electrics an' such. I'd be ready an' willin' t'give both m'best."

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

And so the song ends, and ponies on the street throw some bits the way of the backup-music band. Then the musicians run off presumably because somepony is about to start talking about the importance of family or something.

Staccata meanwhile is getting a little misty-eyed. She walks up to Taylor Tyrol and gives him a little nuzzle. "Can we just go home right now?"
    Tyrol returned the nuzzle gently. "After this patrol, okay? Hey, maybe you can walk with me..."

Bridle Shores Park

Silverpine couldn't help but redden further at that cheeky comment.

Fortunately, the director provided some welcome distraction. Silverpine quickly cleared his throat. "Pleased to meet you, Miss Soliloquy. I'm Lieutenant Silverpine, and this here is Captain Adventura Gearstride of the good ship Cirrus."

Icy's Place

"Oh ho ho...lovely to see you too Miss Icy Touch, lovely as ever, like a ice sculpture,"
    He winked and seemed to ignore her 'warnings'.

"Tsk tsk....please...you two...I mean no ill will to either of you...I am simply here on a truce.....call it the holiday spirit deeply instilled in me....I simply desire to spend it with family~"
    He cheerfully smiled and helped himself inside as Astrid shut the door behind them.

"What game are you playing at?"
    Fox narrowed his eyes and lowered his head, ears straight up, tail swishing.

"I play no games, save for any family board games hahah...but seriously...I come here with an offering of peace, that at least for today we can put aside our...differences,"
    He said, his eyes going wide, looking sincere, his muzzle forming a small frown.
    "... just what exactly you're suggesting, Mr Balboa?" Icy said, her eyes narrowing. The air seemed to be getting noticeably frosty as well.

Lone Star chuckled and snuggled up closer as she nibbled his ear. Too long for my taste~
    "Aha. Why don't we make it... a special Hearth's Warming? Just you and I?" Esmeralda whispered sultrily, her voice dripping with promise, her nibbles growing ever more intimate, with one hoof caressing his good wing lightly.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'm not sure if it's different where you come from, which is why I'm asking, but here in Equestria, pegasi dictate the weather. Most of today's cover is nimbostratus that I brought in, myself."
    "I am well aware of the capacities of different varieties of ponies. They are merely... less relevant. Strange as it may seem to you, in climates where there is seldom enough water for precipitation, managing rain and snow is not exactly a frequent activity." Blueshield shook her head.

"At any rate, I assume you have made prior arrangements. If so, do not alter them. If not, then you should have to ensure that the job got done properly."

And, in fact, Starbeam is keeping a force shield in hair trigger. The two mares seem to have come to the unspoken agreement that Arvadraa keeps and eye on Blades while Star concentrates on Stellar. Unsurprisingly, the youngest of the group appears to be shooting for elegance in simplicity - her device is little more than a miniature forcecage with as many color augmentations and concussive detonation spells as she can cram in.

Arvadraa is slowly but surely working on her own suggestion. The scented beeswax is easy for her to come by, and Horne is more than willing to add his chemistry degree to the mix for a little dynamite.

Starbeam appears to be formulating the most complicated mix of technology and magic she possibly can. Her firework already has seven shifting parts and three sources of detonation. This mix is kept inside a glowing purple force field not unlike Stellar's, except this one is shaped into the form of an arrow instead of a lump of folded mass.
    Blades, naturally, was making a variety of completely non-magical fireworks and explosives. Some were elegantly shaped and aerodynamic, others were rather clunky-looking, but packed with as many explosives as possible.

"Devotion, huh? I'll reserve judgment but note that such a practice could end up being very good or very bad."

"You're still going to want to visit, aren't you."

"Sure! We can bring the whole crew. Take a vacation."

"Historically, our vacations tend to end badly. Also, I elect myself to be the first to negotiate Daniel's way out of jail if Moonshine does not manage to restrain him first."

"Don't worry about you, worry about the other inmates. I guarantee he cheats at poker."

"I'm sure he'd be tickled that neither of you are batting an eyelash as to the prospect of his winding up in prison."

"It's Daniel in what sounds like law central."

"Even if he finds no crimes to put a stop to, it is likely he will end up insulting the wrong pony in a bar or undergo similar unfortunate circumstances."
    Night Jewel laughed. "Oh, it's not that hard to stay out of trouble. If it were, I wouldn't have survived this long. You can get away with all kinds of things if you know what you're doing..."

Hello, girl? You're talking to a paladin here!

"...Well, I don't think they'll really bother you if you're not a dedicated criminal, at any rate."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    The pony in question - a golden yellow stallion with a green mane - nodded approvingly. "We're sure planning on it; Poppy's got the oven fired up for some in-show snacks and I'm off to see about drinks. The show's tonight, by the lake in the park. If you can, you should take your family out to see it, Doc. I hear it's a real class production this year; magical special effects, a hoof-crafted stage, and all run from ponies in-town. If you do go, I'm sure Poppy wouldn't mind making some extra food for you and yours." The stallion smiled appreciatively. "It's the least we can do after that miracle you worked on my leg."
    Taylor grins. "With so much going into it, how can I not? We'll certainly appreciate an extra meal, but don't feel either of you have to go out of your way just for me if it's a bother. Oh! And make sure to warm up the snow-water a bit before using it for your holly patch. They may be evergreen, but they don't like cold fluids too much. With the exception of a hot summer day or a nice lager, they're a lot like us in that regard."

"I am well aware of the capacities of different varieties of ponies. They are merely... less relevant. Strange as it may seem to you, in climates where there is seldom enough water for precipitation, managing rain and snow is not exactly a frequent activity." Blueshield shook her head.

"At any rate, I assume you have made prior arrangements. If so, do not alter them. If not, then you should have to ensure that the job got done properly."
    Snowstorm tilts her head and raises an eyebrow. "Huh. Okay. Lemme show you something." She points a hoof above their heads. "Look around at them. Notice three things. One, there are two layers of clouds, perpendicular to each other, but vertically. Two, they're a uniform shade of gray. Three..." She reaches out and taps a nearby cloud, the force of which causes a spark of electricity to shoot from it to her hoof. "They're charged.

What that means is, there is a layer sitting above us that acts as cover, a maze, and a trap, depending on what we need at the time. I didn't spend all morning pushing these things around for snowfall, that was just a bonus. It's a mobile and contained battlefield. And before the point gets raised that they could be used against us, note those gaps in the lower layer every so often. They're hard to see because of the color similarities, so look close. I memorized those when I set them in - if the cluster shifts, I know about it. If the clouds lose their static, I know about it. They lighten when they aren't spinning with a rough ton of pent-up electrons.

Long story short - you're hovering in my domain. One that's been purposefully set up for exactly what you're trying to do for, oh, six hours? Now, I can rearrange the entire thing to bring down a separate layer you can use. Problem is, I don't know your play aside from 'fly around at this height for a while and see if anything tries to kill me', and even that's guessing. I've been putting my faith on the marker that you know what you're doing, and putting forth more suggestions on that principle. Because you know what? A pony doesn't get to your position if they don't know what they're doing. I respect that, and you, and trust in your actions. But you're making it harder than it has to be when you operate under the assumption that an ally is an amateur just because they aren't as openly hardline as you are."

She pauses, glances upwards, and continues in the casual tone she's been using for the past three paragraphs. "Did I miss anything?"

Blades, naturally, was making a variety of completely non-magical fireworks and explosives. Some were elegantly shaped and aerodynamic, others were rather clunky-looking, but packed with as many explosives as possible.
    "We got any saltpeter?"

"Well we have salt..."

"Are you mixing smokepowder?"

"Sort of. If this gets too big, it's going to go in on itself, and I want an EXplosion, not an IMplosion."

"So your solution is to mix more in?"

"More explosions are the answer to everything."

"...Try mixing the power into different sets and closing them off. You won't lose any energy and the device will release itself multiple times."

Night Jewel laughed. "Oh, it's not that hard to stay out of trouble. If it were, I wouldn't have survived this long. You can get away with all kinds of things if you know what you're doing..."

Hello, girl? You're talking to a paladin here!

"...Well, I don't think they'll really bother you if you're not a dedicated criminal, at any rate."
    Silver and Dawnstrider lock eyes and then the subject is very awkwardly changed. "Do you have any family back home?"

Dawnstrider suddenly looks like he's trying to avoid facehoofing.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

"Aha. Why don't we make it... a special Hearth's Warming? Just you and I?" Esmeralda whispered sultrily, her voice dripping with promise, her nibbles growing ever more intimate, with one hoof caressing his good wing lightly.
    It's already special with you here~ Lone Star grinned, wrapping his hooves around her. But let's see if we can make it even moreso, eh~?

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #113
    Dwarf in the Playground

Snowstorm tilts her head and raises an eyebrow. "Huh. Okay. Lemme show you something." She points a hoof above their heads. "Look around at them. Notice three things. One, there are two layers of clouds, perpendicular to each other, but vertically. Two, they're a uniform shade of gray. Three..." She reaches out and taps a nearby cloud, the force of which causes a spark of electricity to shoot from it to her hoof. "They're charged.

What that means is, there is a layer sitting above us that acts as cover, a maze, and a trap, depending on what we need at the time. I didn't spend all morning pushing these things around for snowfall, that was just a bonus. It's a mobile and contained battlefield. And before the point gets raised that they could be used against us, note those gaps in the lower layer every so often. They're hard to see because of the color similarities, so look close. I memorized those when I set them in - if the cluster shifts, I know about it. If the clouds lose their static, I know about it. They lighten when they aren't spinning with a rough ton of pent-up electrons.

Long story short - you're hovering in my domain. One that's been purposefully set up for exactly what you're trying to do for, oh, six hours? Now, I can rearrange the entire thing to bring down a separate layer you can use. Problem is, I don't know your play aside from 'fly around at this height for a while and see if anything tries to kill me', and even that's guessing. I've been putting my faith on the marker that you know what you're doing, and putting forth more suggestions on that principle. Because you know what? A pony doesn't get to your position if they don't know what they're doing. I respect that, and you, and trust in your actions. But you're making it harder than it has to be when you operate under the assumption that an ally is an amateur just because they aren't as openly hardline as you are."

She pauses, glances upwards, and continues in the casual tone she's been using for the past three paragraphs. "Did I miss anything?"
    Blueshield paused. It seemed this had actually got through to her.

"...Your arrangements are beyond adequate" She looked around carefully, possibly to admire the set-up. "I suppose I need not elevate myself higher than necessary to see beyond ground-level obstacles, and you need not make adjustments.

"Now, my plan was to employ these."
    She retrieved from her quiver a quarrel with an unusual-looking head. "When sufficiently disturbed, they produce significant amounts of light and sound, partially as a signal and partially to disable the senses of whatever triggered them. They also mark the subject with colour and scent temporarily, making identification easier. Thus, they make excellent alarms, whether prepared in advance or fired immediately.

"I intend to scout for threats. If I locate a minor adversary that I could easily dispatch personally, I will deal with it immediately. If a major adversary, I will shoot it with one of the devices mounted on the quarrels. If there is potential for danger, but no immediate threat, I will place an alarm for safety purposes. Do you have other suggestions?"

((Achievement Unlocked: Impress Blueshield))

"We got any saltpeter?"

"Well we have salt..."

"Are you mixing smokepowder?"

"Sort of. If this gets too big, it's going to go in on itself, and I want an EXplosion, not an IMplosion."

"So your solution is to mix more in?"

"More explosions are the answer to everything."

"...Try mixing the power into different sets and closing them off. You won't lose any energy and the device will release itself multiple times."
    "It's in the lil' jar behind the mushrooms."

Blades nodded. "Sometimes ya get more if ya don't use it all at once. Make 'em go bang a few times. I think I heard once that the griffons were makin' a rocket that went off more than once 'n could fly further. I wonder if they're still tryin'? Did they get it right? Did they give up?"

Silver and Dawnstrider lock eyes and then the subject is very awkwardly changed. "Do you have any family back home?"

Dawnstrider suddenly looks like he's trying to avoid facehoofing.Taylor grins.
    "Oh!" Night Jewel took a moment to consider. "I'm not sure if I do. I never knew my parents. I suspect they died, but it's also possible that they're alive and just abandoned me because they wanted to get rid of me and didn't care for me at all. You know, it's kind of funny... Them being dead might be the better possibility." She forced a laugh at her little quips, then shook her head.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "Oh, nice! I'll definitely be there, then." Night Jewel smiled at this other pony. "Do you know if there's anything I could help with? I'd love to get involved, and I'd get to see how it's being done."

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Skies Above Bridle Shores]

Purple Prose listens to Blueshield and Snowstorm's back and forth with a stoic, placid expression. His good eye idly shifts gaze from one mare to the other as they take turns speaking and exchanging jabs and information. He knows not to interject, especially as the two mares detail their (very impressive) talents and abilities.

Not wanting to be left out of the discussion or be completely outshined by the two mares, though, the batpony gives a small shrug. "I can see in the dark," he aloofly adds, flashing a relaxed, pleasant smile at his two conversational companions.

He also knows more than five ways to kill a griffon with a tin can, but disturbing Shadowbolt stuff like that isn't really appropriate for polite company like this.

"Oh, and impressive flashbangs," he suddenly adds, nodding to the quarrel of strange projectiles Blueshield has. "And yes, I have a suggestion. If you encounter the threat that poses no immediate danger, might I suggest firing one of the bolts up and past them, so it lands in the distance, and you're able to study and analyze how to respond to suspicious sounds or perceived threats? How perceptive they are, how organized they are, how tactical they are, how prudent they are, so on and so forth. Putting your target into artificial circumstances so you can study how they respond to perceived situations is always a very informative exercise..." he muses thoughtfully.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

25. - Top - End - #115

Tyrol returned the nuzzle gently. "After this patrol, okay? Hey, maybe you can walk with me..."

"Is it going to take long?"
    the mare asks while they presumably all go to insert their faces into somepony else's business.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

It's already special with you here~ Lone Star grinned, wrapping his hooves around her. But let's see if we can make it even moreso, eh~?
    "Oho, I like the way you think~" Esmeralda purred, before flicking the camera away with a burst of her magic.

"Is it going to take long?"
    the mare asks while they presumably all go to insert their faces into somepony else's business.
    "Not really. An hour at most-- Cripe, I was supposed to show that uptight Knight-Commander fella the Drum."

Lemongrass shrugged. "Eh, just stick around for a cider then say you want the night off."

"Really? Don't know how they'll take to that..."
    Last edited by Grif; 2013-12-28 at 03:18 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

"Not really. An hour at most-- Cripe, I was supposed to show that uptight Knight-Commander fella the Drum."

Lemongrass shrugged. "Eh, just stick around for a cider then say you want the night off."

"Really? Don't know how they'll take to that..."

"I can actually use a drink, assuming it isn't too... whatever you want to describe this mess as,"
    Staccata states acting the part of being somewhat back to normal.

Speaking of which, a stallion managed to claim the sampler pack and declares himself 'king of the season' on top of his defeated shopper opponents. During all the noise a young-adult mare lifts and sneaks off with the prize (after paying for it of course).
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

"Oho, I like the way you think~" Esmeralda purred, before flicking the camera away with a burst of her magic.
    After applying to be part of the robot apocalypse (and be rejected for being too psychotic) the camera returned to find Lone Star giving Es a massage. Heh heh~ Delightful~

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Taylor grins. "With so much going into it, how can I not? We'll certainly appreciate an extra meal, but don't feel either of you have to go out of your way just for me if it's a bother. Oh! And make sure to warm up the snow-water a bit before using it for your holly patch. They may be evergreen, but they don't like cold fluids too much. With the exception of a hot summer day or a nice lager, they're a lot like us in that regard."
    "Doc, it would've been more of a bother to spend Hearth's Warming in the hospital with my leg nearly split in two. Poppy's making you extra grub, and ten armies couldn't stop her." He chuckled nervously. "Believe me; she's lethal with a serving spoon."

EDIT:
    "Oh, nice! I'll definitely be there, then." Night Jewel smiled at this other pony. "Do you know if there's anything I could help with? I'd love to get involved, and I'd get to see how it's being done."[/QUOTE]

The pony scratched his chin. "Now that y'mention it, I think there might be. I hear talk that a lot of the labor is volunteer-run, so I'm sure they could always use an extra pair of hooves. Besides, with all the fancy effects they're trying to pull off, I'm sure they could use a pony clever with magic." He nods to her horn. "If you want to help, just look for somepony in charge and volunteer yourself; I'm sure they can find something for willing hooves to help with."

"Though on that, I ought to be off. Groceries won't buy themselves, y'know. I'll keep that snow-water tip in mind, Doc! And Happy Hearth's Warming, all!" He waved to the group, and, unless stopped by further questions, trotted off whistling a merry tune.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2013-12-30 at 03:38 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Bridle Shores Park

Soliloquy nodded her head at Silverpine and Gearstride with a polite smile.

She wanly smiled at Sandy and tilted her head. "Yes...we're having some electrical problems with some of the lights and not to mention dang problems with the light control box itself. Habitually controls the wrong set of lights."
    ======

Icy's Place

Balboa shivered a little and made a low raspberry sound with his pony lips. "Tis getting cold in here, hot cocoa me Miss Astrid."

"Yes sir,"
    Astrid said dryly as she whipped out a steaming cup of hot cocoa from her saddle bag....somehow and even tossed in a small shot of brandy into the mix. And then offered to Balboa.

"Hmmm...delicious."
    He hummed and sipped and made himself comfortable on Icy's couch. Fox was still stuck in perma-flabbergasted mode.

"My dear Miss Icy Touch, you're a smart beautiful lass, surely you understand what I'm suggesting. Though I am curious at what you assume I'm suggesting." He ho hummed and took a sip of his cocoa.