New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [FWM] Backstage: CUT!

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Lone Star chuckled. We can go out now, if you like.
    Esmeralda giggled, and then kissed Lone Star on the cheek. "You're such a dear. Very well, I suppose we had had enough 'private' fun for the day. Any suggestions?"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    Esmeralda giggled, and then kissed Lone Star on the cheek. "You're such a dear. Very well, I suppose we had had enough 'private' fun for the day. Any suggestions?"
    Dinner, dancing, brawling, orgy, snowball fight, we could go steal Wrench's giant robot?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360 View Post
    "Come to think of it, a pony skull is shaped kind of like a bellows, isn't it? Or is that a stretch?"

"If you're considering mausoleum chic - and I cringe as I say this - cutting smaller bones in half, replacing the marrow with wax, and connecting most with adhesive, plus a few chains, makes a surprisingly stable chandelier. Which, as we all know, doubles as a trap. Just...if you must be collecting bones, I suggest a graveyard. The margins aren't much, but it is less likely to end badly."

"Jeez, since when do you have a dark mind?"

"This isn't original. I once had a necromancer put me in a forcecage only to give me an hour-long speech about how gravedigging and interior decorating were closely interconnected."
    Somehow, a lot of discussions in this town seemed to end up on the subject of interior decoration sooner or later.

"Huh! Never thought of that! Bones are amazin'. A lil' wax could help stick things too."

Blades shook her head. "It's strange how ponies don't seem to like necromancers. As magic-types go, they're not that bad. 'N yet a lot of ponies get scared 'cause they don't waste perfectly good bones. Mind, the nasty gloaty ones are no fun, but some of 'em are nice... Say, what happened to that necromancer?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin360
    Arvadraa frowns. "I'm sorry. I didn't want to remind you about that place. Some memories are better left in the past, too easy to dwell on. I've had to spend some time connecting things to new things, so that they don't remind me of what I don't have, but what I do. If that makes any sense. Like...maybe now you'll associate snow with walking, or talking, or searching, or even me. And if not, it's still something to work on."
    Flare laughed softly. "I am not troubled, young one. I prefer to use my time of imprisonment as a reminder to control my power, and my new liberty feels so much more... liberated. But I suppose we had both best focus on what is here and now."

She paused for a long time, unsure of how to continue. Finally, she said, "So... This snow is nice, but what can we do with it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Purple Prose merely gives her a sly look, smirking a bit. "Sorry, that's classified."
    "I'm gonna take a wild stab and say that SB retirement is 90% trolling us civilians and 10% kicking back and grinning when they start making conspiracy theories." She sticks out her tongue playfully at him.
    "Well, I simply cannot be allowed to find out if that's the case. After all, with such vital information, it would be trivial for a dangerous foreigner such as me to conquer your entire civilization and subject your population to an eternity of tyrannical rule." Blueshield seemed to smirk briefly.

"I wouldn't mind if you did. But that's only if you really want to."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01
    He then leans back a bit, listening to the discussions of political systems and family situations. In regards to the latter, he merely gives an aloof shrug. "Eh, mine's boring."
    "That must be a relief. Even the declassified stuff you deal with has got to provide more than enough trouble, I'll bet."
    "That was intended as a joke." Blueshield flicked her ears. "To be brief, my parents had conflicting expectations of me, and I made a futile endeavour to satisfy both."
    When in doubt, use cute little dragons.

Game and roleplaying stuff.

The data is 1's and 0's. Life is the jazz. (Previous avatars)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

Dinner, dancing, brawling, orgy, snowball fight, we could go steal Wrench's giant robot?
    "... giant robot?" That last one certainly has Es piqued. "Where in Equestria would such a thing be kept?"

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

"... giant robot?" That last one certainly has Es piqued. "Where in Equestria would such a thing be kept?"
    Lone Star grinned and draped his still-organic wing around his lady love. Sounds like a plan, my dear. Shall we go?
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-01-18 at 03:22 AM.

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    "Wouldn't surprise me if it did..." Sandy muttered as he poked it one last time...

"Ack! Ain't a rat, it ain't a rat!" Sandy beat at the spidery horde with his stick, frantically trying to corral them away from the other ponies and towards the park proper. "Stay back! Everythin's under control!" he called to Night Jewel and Prompter, his magic kicking up some sand - secreted away in his pack, of course - to buffet the spiders.
    Quote Originally Posted by PurityIcekiller View Post

Night Jewel recoiled in alarm. "Yah! Well, at least it's not scorpions..."

After a moment to collect herself, she took out a pouch to try to catch as many stray technically-not-spiders as she could.
    A few ponies nearby, four to five, who caught sight of the not really dangerous but still scary as all get out sight of hundreds upon hundreds of daddy long legs scurry about yelped and ran about. One mare fainted, hoof over forehead. Twas Prompter.

Fortunately, a moment after buffeting and catching, the rush of the long legs would soon disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by Grif
    Silverpine nodded. "Aye. The good ship Cirrus. We... ah... have stopped for an extended stay, apparently."

"Very extended."
    Gearstride added with a small smile.

"OOh..well...hopefully, ol' Bridle Shores has been quite welcoming....even if things have been....very....unfortunate these past couple months." Mason commented with a grim smile.

"Flip side....plenty of construction work to be had," Purlin half heartedly smiled.

The mare stayed wrapped around Balboa's shoulders for a few more moments, before finally releasing her hold, stepping back to wipe dab back some tears that had mysteriously appeared. "It's... quite precious, Mr. Balboa. Thank you," she said, taking a deep breath. "May I ask how did you manage to obtain so many? Its... value, it's incalculable."

"My dear....I make it my duty to get what I want, be it rare gems to majority stock on another's company. Connections, and well lots of money."
    Balboa replied with a sagely nod.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    A few ponies nearby, four to five, who caught sight of the not really dangerous but still scary as all get out sight of hundreds upon hundreds of daddy long legs scurry about yelped and ran about. One mare fainted, hoof over forehead. Twas Prompter.

Fortunately, a moment after buffeting and catching, the rush of the long legs would soon disperse.
    Sandy stood, twitching and shaking with adrenaline, waiting for any last stragglers to dare show their faces in his presence. One second...five seconds...ten seconds...nothing. He breathed a sigh of relief, then turned to his companions. "E-everypony alri-Miss Prompter!" Dropping his stick, the little stallion dashed to her side. "Miss Prompter? Can y'hear me? Are y'alright? Miss Prompter?!" Biting his lip in worry, he checked her pulse and gently nudged her with his muzzle.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sandy stood, twitching and shaking with adrenaline, waiting for any last stragglers to dare show their faces in his presence. One second...five seconds...ten seconds...nothing. He breathed a sigh of relief, then turned to his companions. "E-everypony alri-Miss Prompter!" Dropping his stick, the little stallion dashed to her side. "Miss Prompter? Can y'hear me? Are y'alright? Miss Prompter?!" Biting his lip in worry, he checked her pulse and gently nudged her with his muzzle.
    Night Jewel stowed away the pouch carefully, planning to release the little creatures somewhere where they won't bother anypony. With that out of the way, she turned her attention back to the other ponies.

"...Yikes, that's some sensitivity. I wonder if she carries smelling salts with her in case something like this happens." She scurried over to Prompter and began searching the fallen mare for valuables something to wake her up.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ettin in the Playground

Lone Star grinned and draped his still-organic wing around his lady love. Sounds like a plan, my dear. Shall we go?
    "But, of course, Star dear. You'd have to show me how to drive, wouldn't you?" Esmeralda replied with a cheeky smile, peeking him on the cheek, before rising to her hooves.

"Very extended."
    Gearstride added with a small smile.

"OOh..well...hopefully, ol' Bridle Shores has been quite welcoming....even if things have been....very....unfortunate these past couple months." Mason commented with a grim smile.

"Flip side....plenty of construction work to be had," Purlin half heartedly smiled.
    "Well, at least we're having a peaceful Hearth's Warming, yes?" Silverpine offered with a warm smile. "Speaking of which... I still don't really know what our roles are."

"My dear....I make it my duty to get what I want, be it rare gems to majority stock on another's company. Connections, and well lots of money."
    Balboa replied with a sagely nod.
    "I... see." Icy resumed her normal frosty tone, somewhat. Though even Balboa would see that this memory of her home affected her deeply. Then she bowed her head again. "I must thank you for this most generous gift."

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Das Park

Night Jewel would find her wallet, which held two Bits, and a card that read her as a member of the Lone Star book club.

"Bhuwh...." The mare bhwuhed, her eyes underping. "Oof....a-are...are they gone?...I don't like spiders very much..." The mare wrinkled her muzzle and stared up blankly at Sandy and Night Jewel whose own faces were probably in close proximity.
    ------

"Uhm....well, we're probably not the right folks to ask about that....best to talk to Miss Soliloquy, were just the construction guys," Purlin smiled.
    ======

Icy's Pad

"Why do I feel like you're just trying to buy us over, Balboa?"
    Fox asked with a look of suspicion on his face.

"You can call me 'dad',"
    Balboa said to Fox.

"How about you just be happy I don't call you worse?"

Balboa wrinkled his muzzle and rolled his eyes. "Well anyways...I am not trying to buy you two over....why it is quite insulting for you to insinuate such a thing, hmmph!....I am simply trying to make amends and engage in the holiday spirit." He frowned and slumped his shoulders, Astrid resumed playing her tony violin in the background.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Dwarf in the Playground

Night Jewel would find her wallet, which held two Bits, and a card that read her as a member of the Lone Star book club.

"Bhuwh...." The mare bhwuhed, her eyes underping. "Oof....a-are...are they gone?...I don't like spiders very much..." The mare wrinkled her muzzle and stared up blankly at Sandy and Night Jewel whose own faces were probably in close proximity.
    Night Jewel took a quick look in the wallet. She's not rich enough. It'd be wrong to steal from her. Besides, I don't want to be known as a two-bit criminal, puns or no puns. She almost immediately put it back. Maybe I could look into that book club, though.

"Ah, good, you're awake!"
    She gave the mare a warm smile. "Yes, they're dealt with. I'm not that afraid of spiders, myself; compared to scorpions, they're hardly worth worrying about."

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

"But, of course, Star dear. You'd have to show me how to drive, wouldn't you?" Esmeralda replied with a cheeky smile, peeking him on the cheek, before rising to her hooves.
    Lone Star grinned at his lady love. Who says I know how to drive it? He laughed, nuzzling her as they walked out the door.

---
    [Wrench's home]

Lone Star's method of knocking looked suspiciously like breaking in.

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Somehow, a lot of discussions in this town seemed to end up on the subject of interior decoration sooner or later.

"Huh! Never thought of that! Bones are amazin'. A lil' wax could help stick things too."

Blades shook her head. "It's strange how ponies don't seem to like necromancers. As magic-types go, they're not that bad. 'N yet a lot of ponies get scared 'cause they don't waste perfectly good bones. Mind, the nasty gloaty ones are no fun, but some of 'em are nice... Say, what happened to that necromancer?"
    "Well, regardless of how advanced society is, certain biases will remain from ancient times. I don't think our culture will shift away from the idea that the 'living' dead are anything but abominable for some time. There are also lines one shouldn't cross. Binding spirits from beyond the veil, so to speak, is a good deal more reprehensible than slavery established over the living.

As for the necromancer, he's in construction now. Apparently a horde of very strong, tireless, mass-produced workers tend to get the jobs finished that much more quickly. Of course, he prefers to work outside city limits, due to the aforementioned cultural biases."

"Wait, you let him go? Didn't he try to kill you?"

"No, just imprison me. He wanted one of my dissertations before it was finished. If it makes the story any more tolerable, Moonshine was having a bad day and put him in a coma for half a week when she and Feathergrin came to get me."

"Just a little bit more tolerable."

Flare laughed softly. "I am not troubled, young one. I prefer to use my time of imprisonment as a reminder to control my power, and my new liberty feels so much more... liberated. But I suppose we had both best focus on what is here and now."

She paused for a long time, unsure of how to continue. Finally, she said, "So... This snow is nice, but what can we do with it?"
    "Well...it's malleable, if you don't mind the cold. I think there's this ritual where ponies take some and use it to make a sort of statue of another pony. I'm not sure why. Bonding exercise, maybe?"

"That was intended as a joke." Blueshield flicked her ears. "To be brief, my parents had conflicting expectations of me, and I made a futile endeavour to satisfy both."
    "Did you end up choosing your own way? Whatever you did, it seems like it worked out pretty well."
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

"Uhm....well, we're probably not the right folks to ask about that....best to talk to Miss Soliloquy, were just the construction guys," Purlin smiled.
    "Well... umm..." Silverpine glanced back at the minor scene that had erupted with Sandy and co. "I think she's a little pre-occupied at the moment."

Icy's Pad

"Why do I feel like you're just trying to buy us over, Balboa?"
    Fox asked with a look of suspicion on his face.

"You can call me 'dad',"
    Balboa said to Fox.

"How about you just be happy I don't call you worse?"

Balboa wrinkled his muzzle and rolled his eyes. "Well anyways...I am not trying to buy you two over....why it is quite insulting for you to insinuate such a thing, hmmph!....I am simply trying to make amends and engage in the holiday spirit." He frowned and slumped his shoulders, Astrid resumed playing her tony violin in the background.
    "Fox!" Icy hissed sharply, a hoof poking his ribs. "The least we could do is be civil. Now do behave." Then she turned to Balboa with a small smile. "Mr Balboa, I do apologise for this. Would you mind staying for dinner?"

Lone Star grinned at his lady love. Who says I know how to drive it? He laughed, nuzzling her as they walked out the door.

---
    [Wrench's home]

Lone Star's method of knocking looked suspiciously like breaking in.
    Not that Esmeralda was one to judge. In fact, she's probably helping most enthusiastically. "Star, you are sure that pulling off the door knob is absolutely necessary?"

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Not that Esmeralda was one to judge. In fact, she's probably helping most enthusiastically. "Star, you are sure that pulling off the door knob is absolutely necessary?"
    It's not my fault he hid his spare FoFID tag in the doorknob. Lone Star smirked as the knob came off.

Extended Sig

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Night Jewel took a quick look in the wallet. She's not rich enough. It'd be wrong to steal from her. Besides, I don't want to be known as a two-bit criminal, puns or no puns. She almost immediately put it back. Maybe I could look into that book club, though.

"Ah, good, you're awake!"
    She gave the mare a warm smile. "Yes, they're dealt with. I'm not that afraid of spiders, myself; compared to scorpions, they're hardly worth worrying about."
    Prompter would not have noticed Night Jewel slipping back her wallet, lucky for the purple mare. "Wait....there's not surprise scorpions right? I mean well...err uh...I'm being dumb. Mmm...sorry about my fainting, unprofessional." She sat herself up and sputtered.

"Oh right! The light box...if err you Mister Sandy can...maybe continue with that?"
    =======

"Well... umm..." Silverpine glanced back at the minor scene that had erupted with Sandy and co. "I think she's a little pre-occupied at the moment."
    Indeed, Miss Soliloquy was pre-occupied, dealing with the actors on stage as they went through a quick rehearsal. Something something about Princess Platinum's crown missing was mentioned along the way.

"Fox!" Icy hissed sharply, a hoof poking his ribs. "The least we could do is be civil. Now do behave." Then she turned to Balboa with a small smile. "Mr Balboa, I do apologise for this. Would you mind staying for dinner?"
    Fox scowled but obeyed Icy, sometimes, ya just had to listen to yer ol' lady if ya knew what was good for ya.

Balboa glanced at Fox with a frown and then smiled at Icy's words. The corners of his eyes began to swell up with a wetness. He grabbed one of her hooves and held it between both his forehooves.

"I would love to, thank you Miss Touch."

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

It's not my fault he hid his spare FoFID tag in the doorknob. Lone Star smirked as the knob came off.
    "It's indeed an ingenious place, if I may say so," Esmeralda commented, as she held the knob for Lone Star. "Still, I hope he wouldn't miss us borrowing his machine." For a given of "borrow" anyway.

Indeed, Miss Soliloquy was pre-occupied, dealing with the actors on stage as they went through a quick rehearsal. Something something about Princess Platinum's crown missing was mentioned along the way.
    "So... anyway. Gear, I presume you at least have an inkling on what we're doing?" Silverpine turned to the erstwhile probably leering captain instead.

Fox scowled but obeyed Icy, sometimes, ya just had to listen to yer ol' lady if ya knew what was good for ya.

Balboa glanced at Fox with a frown and then smiled at Icy's words. The corners of his eyes began to swell up with a wetness. He grabbed one of her hooves and held it between both his forehooves.

"I would love to, thank you Miss Touch."
    Icy didn't seem to mind the hoof-grab, focused as she was on Fox's scowl. This was perhaps something he and she would have to discuss in private. "Icy, if you don't mind. Miss Touch simply invites too many innuendoes," she correctly absently. "Though now the age-old problem of where to have our dinner comes to mind. Any suggestions, Fox?" she said, tilting her head at Fox.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Prompter would not have noticed Night Jewel slipping back her wallet, lucky for the purple mare. "Wait....there's not surprise scorpions right? I mean well...err uh...I'm being dumb. Mmm...sorry about my fainting, unprofessional." She sat herself up and sputtered.

"Oh right! The light box...if err you Mister Sandy can...maybe continue with that?"
    Sandy - ever prepared - rummaged through his saddlebags, pulled out a military-style canteen, and hoofed it to the frazzled mare. "Here; sit tight an' have a few sips of this. A lil' breather an' some hot cocoa'll have you right as rain in no time. I'll take care of th' light box, don't you worry." Should she partake of the hot drink, she'll enjoy some steaming, rich chocolate goodness. The little stallion certainly knew how to brew a good mug of cocoa.

With a determined straightening of his uniform, Sandy marched back over to the fusebox. Now that the panel and the immediate surprises were out of the way, perhaps they could start making some headway. Flickering his horn back to life, he started to inspect the mess of dust and wires.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

"It's indeed an ingenious place, if I may say so," Esmeralda commented, as she held the knob for Lone Star. "Still, I hope he wouldn't miss us borrowing his machine." For a given of "borrow" anyway.
    It's a thirty foot robot. It's not like we'll lose/total it. Put this on. He tossed her a necklace that had been inside the knob. The turret's'll ignore you if you wear that. My wing already does that, fortunately. They walked into the home.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2014-01-23 at 02:01 PM.

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

[Clouds Above Bridle Shores]

Prose raises an eyebrow at Blueshield. "Oh? I know you mentioned your father was part of your nation's armed forces. I'm guessing your mother was something more civilian, and they both wanted you to follow in their respective footsteps?"

The batpony gives a shrug. "My parents thought I should try out for the Guard just to have something to fall back on while I tried to hit it off as a poet. They never expected me to actually, y'know, apply myself and earn rank pins, let alone get selected for Shadowbolt Training. Needless to say, they were rather proud."

He frowns a bit. "Not so happy about the early retirement, of course."
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, regardless of how advanced society is, certain biases will remain from ancient times. I don't think our culture will shift away from the idea that the 'living' dead are anything but abominable for some time. There are also lines one shouldn't cross. Binding spirits from beyond the veil, so to speak, is a good deal more reprehensible than slavery established over the living.

As for the necromancer, he's in construction now. Apparently a horde of very strong, tireless, mass-produced workers tend to get the jobs finished that much more quickly. Of course, he prefers to work outside city limits, due to the aforementioned cultural biases."

"Wait, you let him go? Didn't he try to kill you?"

"No, just imprison me. He wanted one of my dissertations before it was finished. If it makes the story any more tolerable, Moonshine was having a bad day and put him in a coma for half a week when she and Feathergrin came to get me."

"Just a little bit more tolerable."
    Blades smiled. "Well, he'll be welcome if he comes 'round here! Sounds like a nice enough fellow. I don't really mind undead, myself. They're a lil' hard to kill, but that just makes it more excitin'."

She gave a curious look to Starbeam. "Say, what other kinds of adventures have ya had? Ya sound like the kind who has 'em a lot."

"Well...it's malleable, if you don't mind the cold. I think there's this ritual where ponies take some and use it to make a sort of statue of another pony. I'm not sure why. Bonding exercise, maybe?"
    "Snow sculptures?" Flare looked around. "I suppose the only way to learn is to experiment. There does seem to be sufficient snow, and shaping it cannot be too difficult."

She picked up some snow and tried to mould it. After a bit of effort, she managed to form a large blobby shape about half the size of the average pony.

"...Perhaps I need some practice."

Prose raises an eyebrow at Blueshield. "Oh? I know you mentioned your father was part of your nation's armed forces. I'm guessing your mother was something more civilian, and they both wanted you to follow in their respective footsteps?"
    Blueshield gave Prose a nod. "That is accurate. It seems you are attentive. My father was a Knight of high standing, and intended his eldest child to follow a similar path. My mother, being a scholar, preferred that I devote myself more to intellectual pursuits."

"Did you end up choosing your own way? Whatever you did, it seems like it worked out pretty well."
    "I did make my own choice, to some extent. I had no desire to be either secluded in study or an ignorant brute, so while I did not select an unmentioned possibility, I made the decision to combine the optimal characteristics of both propositions. I did not succeed in completely satisfying either parent, but I feel it was the best choice I could have made."

The batpony gives a shrug. "My parents thought I should try out for the Guard just to have something to fall back on while I tried to hit it off as a poet. They never expected me to actually, y'know, apply myself and earn rank pins, let alone get selected for Shadowbolt Training. Needless to say, they were rather proud."

Blueshield briefly got an amused look. "So you were not taken seriously even then? That might be considered an accomplishment. I suppose when others' expectations are lowered, they're easier to succeed. In any case, you proved them wrong in the end."

Then her expression hardened. "That said, I do not intend to give the impression that I encourage shirking to lower the standards you are held to. I expect consistent competence, and occasional flashes of brilliance will not make up for general laziness."

"Oh, don't worry about that. I'm not one for stuffy professionalism anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Benson
    Sandy - ever prepared - rummaged through his saddlebags, pulled out a military-style canteen, and hoofed it to the frazzled mare. "Here; sit tight an' have a few sips of this. A lil' breather an' some hot cocoa'll have you right as rain in no time. I'll take care of th' light box, don't you worry." Should she partake of the hot drink, she'll enjoy some steaming, rich chocolate goodness. The little stallion certainly knew how to brew a good mug of cocoa.

With a determined straightening of his uniform, Sandy marched back over to the fusebox. Now that the panel and the immediate surprises were out of the way, perhaps they could start making some headway. Flickering his horn back to life, he started to inspect the mess of dust and wires.
    "Right. Back to work."

Night Jewel stepped forward, partly to get a better look at the box and partly to get close to Sandy. She then focused her magic, trying to get a feel for the inside with it.
    Last edited by PurityIcekiller; 2014-01-24 at 02:25 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

"Apply yourself, huh? Kind of strikes me as a gig that's more important to you than you let on. I'm not sure I'd call that laziness as much as a really strict set of priorities. Which...I'm not sure how I feel about that."

Blades smiled. "Well, he'll be welcome if he comes 'round here! Sounds like a nice enough fellow. I don't really mind undead, myself. They're a lil' hard to kill, but that just makes it more excitin'."

She gave a curious look to Starbeam. "Say, what other kinds of adventures have ya had? Ya sound like the kind who has 'em a lot."
    "I'd like to think I've lived a fairly full life. Of course, I'd rather have filled it with more time studying as opposed to running and screaming and almost dying. Most of what the Lightbringers deal with is largely unsubstantiated - threats you wouldn't have heard of otherwise, which is the point. The dark ones are an example of what happens when we miss something or simply aren't prepared to deal with it."

"Hey, speaking of dark ones, didn't you kill spiky armor guy once? Tell us about that."

Starbeam purses her lips and considers the request. "I...all right. I suppose it bears mentioning. It's not as dramatic as you might think, though."

"Snow sculptures?" Flare looked around. "I suppose the only way to learn is to experiment. There does seem to be sufficient snow, and shaping it cannot be too difficult."

She picked up some snow and tried to mould it. After a bit of effort, she managed to form a large blobby shape about half the size of the average pony.

"...Perhaps I need some practice."
    "Well...it's the shapes that will take the most time. Our hooves are flat, but not bendy. So we can smooth out rough edges..." She demonstrates by scraping off excess snow, turning the upper half of the lump into a more reasonable spherical form. "But it's getting the edges that's hard. So...I think the easiest way is to make a huge pile and then cut and smooth pieces where we need to."

"I did make my own choice, to some extent. I had no desire to be either secluded in study or an ignorant brute, so while I did not select an unmentioned possibility, I made the decision to combine the optimal characteristics of both propositions. I did not succeed in completely satisfying either parent, but I feel it was the best choice I could have made."
    "I don't know a lot of ponies sensible enough to go for the middle ground. Extremes seem more appealing, I think. But they don't always do as much."
    D&D is the only game I can think of (with the possible exception of Calvinball) where the only way to lose is by playing to win.
    "'Elvish barbeque' is what happens when the Quessir send one of their Evokers to deal with an orc invasion and then go home for the evening." - Elmah Dryearghymn, an elven Evoker, as depicted to the left

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

"So... anyway. Gear, I presume you at least have an inkling on what we're doing?" Silverpine turned to the erstwhile probably leering captain instead.
    "Well of course....put on some costumes, put on some make up....none of that is gonna happen with us standing here!" She yoinked at his jacket sleeve. "We gotta go take the iniative and talk to that Soliloquy!"

Icy didn't seem to mind the hoof-grab, focused as she was on Fox's scowl. This was perhaps something he and she would have to discuss in private. "Icy, if you don't mind. Miss Touch simply invites too many innuendoes," she correctly absently. "Though now the age-old problem of where to have our dinner comes to mind. Any suggestions, Fox?" she said, tilting her head at Fox.

"Fair enough my dear,"
    Balboa said to Icy and also let go of her hoof.

Fox's scowl softened a tiny microscopic bit. He had wanted to have dinner with just him and Icy, though now it seemed he was stuck bringing his father and his assistant along.

"I suppose...hmmph...well there is a nice restaurant along Rein and Derby Streets, on the upscale side, though probably not to your standards, Balboa."

"Dad. Anyways, sounds lovely already, I would love to just eat there, with you two."
    Balboa said keeping an even tone and polite-ness.
    =======

"Oh, don't worry about that. I'm not one for stuffy professionalism anyway."

"Right. Back to work."

Night Jewel stepped forward, partly to get a better look at the box and partly to get close to Sandy. She then focused her magic, trying to get a feel for the inside with it.

She thanked him and happily took to drinking the hot cocoa, she favored coffee, but this was good too.

Looking at the fusebox turned light box, they would see the mess of wires that it was this...thing's. Studying it, it was more than likely that the wires were switched, not connected to where they should be going to.
    Last edited by Benson; 2014-01-25 at 02:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

"Right. Back to work."

She thanked him and happily took to drinking the hot cocoa, she favored coffee, but this was good too.

Looking at the fusebox turned light box, they would see the mess of wires that it was this...thing's. Studying it, it was more than likely that the wires were switched, not connected to where they should be going to.
    Sandy failed to notice the rapidly shrinking proximity to Night Jewel, and why should he? She was just a little pony, after all.

"Hmmmm, so y'ain't right in th' head after all..." The little engineer mused to himself as he traced some wires with his hoof. "I'd stake my shirt on it; somepony's gone and wired her up all bonkers. It'll be a bit of work t'fix, but it ain't such a hard job." He pointed out the board of light-switches with his own horn-light. "Here; can you go over there an' tell me which of these here input wires go t'which light? I'll stay here an' wire 'em up to th' lights they ought t'go to, an' toss out any extra bits while I'm at it."

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well of course....put on some costumes, put on some make up....none of that is gonna happen with us standing here!" She yoinked at his jacket sleeve. "We gotta go take the iniative and talk to that Soliloquy!"
    "Hwuh?" Silverpine could only say before he got yoinked away and dragged towards Soliloquy.

"Fair enough my dear,"
    Balboa said to Icy and also let go of her hoof.

Fox's scowl softened a tiny microscopic bit. He had wanted to have dinner with just him and Icy, though now it seemed he was stuck bringing his father and his assistant along.

"I suppose...hmmph...well there is a nice restaurant along Rein and Derby Streets, on the upscale side, though probably not to your standards, Balboa."

"Dad. Anyways, sounds lovely already, I would love to just eat there, with you two."
    Balboa said keeping an even tone and polite-ness.
    Icy shot another sharp look at Fox, before shaking her head. "Well, I guess that's settled then. Shall we?" she said, trotting over towards the door, having already dressed anyway.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Blueshield gave Prose a nod. "That is accurate. It seems you are attentive. My father was a Knight of high standing, and intended his eldest child to follow a similar path. My mother, being a scholar, preferred that I devote myself more to intellectual pursuits."

"And both of them told you to be what you truly wanted to be, how might that have turned out?" Prose inquires idly, flashing an aloof smile.

Blueshield briefly got an amused look. "So you were not taken seriously even then? That might be considered an accomplishment. I suppose when others' expectations are lowered, they're easier to succeed. In any case, you proved them wrong in the end."

Then her expression hardened. "That said, I do not intend to give the impression that I encourage shirking to lower the standards you are held to. I expect consistent competence, and occasional flashes of brilliance will not make up for general laziness."
    And that lazy smile disappears, replaced by a bit of an annoyed frown. "The expectations being low didn't make things easier for me. If anything, things were harder for me, because I had no support or encouragement. Everypony wrote me off, and put extra scrutiny on me. I had to work harder than many of my colleagues to prove myself, and fight tooth and claw to earn everyone ounce of respect and recognition that I rightfully deserved." It appears she may have struck a nerve, whether she intended to or not...

His frown then fades, curling into a wry smirk. "Besides, who says I'm actually as lazy as I act? Perhaps I merely put up a front so I can more easily manipulate everyone around me, and show occasional flashes of laziness to distract from my general brilliance." He leans a bit closer towards Blueshield, smirk deepening, a coy look in his eye. "After all, when ponies underestimate you, it's much easier to surprise them - or catch them off guard."

Prose then flutters backwards, chuckling wryly. "Ah, but let's face it, I'm too lazy to pull of something that complicated and clever... Right?" he winks.

"Apply yourself, huh? Kind of strikes me as a gig that's more important to you than you let on. I'm not sure I'd call that laziness as much as a really strict set of priorities. Which...I'm not sure how I feel about that."
    Prose flops backwards to hover upside down, forehooves folded behind his head in a comfortable position as he lazily floats on his back. "Eh, like I said," he shrugs, "Maybe I just put on an act? Or maybe I'm just enjoying my retirement after so many years of putting priority on precision and perfection," he aloofly alliterates.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Sandy failed to notice the rapidly shrinking proximity to Night Jewel, and why should he? She was just a little pony, after all.

"Hmmmm, so y'ain't right in th' head after all..." The little engineer mused to himself as he traced some wires with his hoof. "I'd stake my shirt on it; somepony's gone and wired her up all bonkers. It'll be a bit of work t'fix, but it ain't such a hard job." He pointed out the board of light-switches with his own horn-light. "Here; can you go over there an' tell me which of these here input wires go t'which light? I'll stay here an' wire 'em up to th' lights they ought t'go to, an' toss out any extra bits while I'm at it."
    And so she did, tell tell him which of the input wires were suppose to go to which light and light controls.

"Well I just feel plum dumb that it was this easy," Prompter puffed her cheeks and sighed. "Anyways, thank you very much Mister Shores."

"Hwuh?" Silverpine could only say before he got yoinked away and dragged towards Soliloquy.
    "What?" Soliloquy sharply asked after Gearstride and Silverpine approached them. "Oh...tis you two...ah..sorry, give me a moment darlings.." She shooed away some other pony and cleared her throat. "What is it?"

"Uhm, we're wondering...what we're supposed to do...I mean..we were going to play some extras yes...some earth pony peasants."

"Oh right...hmmm....ah...well...you should probably go join the others in getting your costume make up done...you won't have any lines....so really it is just the make up and costume." She replied back.

Icy shot another sharp look at Fox, before shaking her head. "Well, I guess that's settled then. Shall we?" she said, trotting over towards the door, having already dressed anyway.

"....Babe.....dinner won't be til later....we seem to be at a misunderstanding and I know who to blame.."
    He glanced at Balboa before looking back at Icy.

"I had some other things planned for just the /two of us/ before dinner.."
    Fox said.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I'd like to think I've lived a fairly full life. Of course, I'd rather have filled it with more time studying as opposed to running and screaming and almost dying. Most of what the Lightbringers deal with is largely unsubstantiated - threats you wouldn't have heard of otherwise, which is the point. The dark ones are an example of what happens when we miss something or simply aren't prepared to deal with it."
    "Well, if ya ever get tired of it, I can take over for ya for a bit! I haven't been gettin' enough action in myself lately."

"Hey, speaking of dark ones, didn't you kill spiky armor guy once? Tell us about that."

Starbeam purses her lips and considers the request. "I...all right. I suppose it bears mentioning. It's not as dramatic as you might think, though."
    Blades looked intrigued. "Huh! Ya actually did it? I remember when 'Vadraa 'n Stellar tried... Ya know, it's not often that ya get to kill a pony more than once, 'cept when necromancers are 'round. So what happened, anyway?"

"Well...it's the shapes that will take the most time. Our hooves are flat, but not bendy. So we can smooth out rough edges..." She demonstrates by scraping off excess snow, turning the upper half of the lump into a more reasonable spherical form. "But it's getting the edges that's hard. So...I think the easiest way is to make a huge pile and then cut and smooth pieces where we need to."
    "Start big and work smaller. I suppose I can manage that. Perhaps with the right sort of tools... Ah, but we'll get to that."

Flare concentrated for a bit, then caused the ground below to launch a huge amount of snow onto the existing pile. She then worked on shaping it into a neat sphere that was significantly larger than the average pony.

"Is this pile 'huge' enough?"

"I don't know a lot of ponies sensible enough to go for the middle ground. Extremes seem more appealing, I think. But they don't always do as much."
    "Well said. It is quite useful to be able to see things in more than one way, and adaptation is far more successful than stubbornly sticking to one method."

"And both of them told you to be what you truly wanted to be, how might that have turned out?" Prose inquires idly, flashing an aloof smile.
    Blueshield paused to consider.

"It may have been different, or may not have. Even without outside influences, my ideals and interests have always been synchronized with my current occupation. Perhaps I would be less skilled, less disciplined, or happier, depending on the circumstances, but I do not see my destiny changing."

And that lazy smile disappears, replaced by a bit of an annoyed frown. "The expectations being low didn't make things easier for me. If anything, things were harder for me, because I had no support or encouragement. Everypony wrote me off, and put extra scrutiny on me. I had to work harder than many of my colleagues to prove myself, and fight tooth and claw to earn everyone ounce of respect and recognition that I rightfully deserved." It appears she may have struck a nerve, whether she intended to or not...

His frown then fades, curling into a wry smirk. "Besides, who says I'm actually as lazy as I act? Perhaps I merely put up a front so I can more easily manipulate everyone around me, and show occasional flashes of laziness to distract from my general brilliance." He leans a bit closer towards Blueshield, smirk deepening, a coy look in his eye. "After all, when ponies underestimate you, it's much easier to surprise them - or catch them off guard."

Prose then flutters backwards, chuckling wryly. "Ah, but let's face it, I'm too lazy to pull of something that complicated and clever... Right?" he winks.
    "Mr. Prose, I assure you they were quite wrong about your skill, and that I have no doubts about your capabilities. My only concern is that you do not acquire inaccurate impressions."

Blueshield went silent for a moment, then shook her head. "...I do suppose I misjudged your experiences. I have previously dealt with ponies who thought I would be something grander than I am, and I expected the opposite situation to be better, but an extreme in either direction is problematic. "

"How messy! It looks like matching-puzzle time."

Night Jewel turned to Sandy and smiled. "Need a hoof straightening this out? Or do you need moral support? I'd be happy to help with either."

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

"What?" Soliloquy sharply asked after Gearstride and Silverpine approached them. "Oh...tis you two...ah..sorry, give me a moment darlings.." She shooed away some other pony and cleared her throat. "What is it?"

"Uhm, we're wondering...what we're supposed to do...I mean..we were going to play some extras yes...some earth pony peasants."

"Oh right...hmmm....ah...well...you should probably go join the others in getting your costume make up done...you won't have any lines....so really it is just the make up and costume." She replied back.
    Silverpine's ears flattened a little at the mention that they were going to be only playing extras. He had expected some sort of speaking roles at least. But then again, they weren't called for any sort of practice, so it'd be odd to have lines.

He quickly smiled at the director. "Right. Make up and costume. We probably should go and do so before the show starts. Thanks, Miss Soliloquy." Silverpine then nudged Gearstride towards wherever the nearest costume area was.

"....Babe.....dinner won't be til later....we seem to be at a misunderstanding and I know who to blame.."
    He glanced at Balboa before looking back at Icy.

"I had some other things planned for just the /two of us/ before dinner.."
    Fox said.
    Icy stopped in her tracks, and tilted her head at Fox. "Oh? Only the two of us? What might those plans be?"

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

And so she did, tell tell him which of the input wires were suppose to go to which light and light controls.

"Well I just feel plum dumb that it was this easy," Prompter puffed her cheeks and sighed. "Anyways, thank you very much Mister Shores."[/COLOR]
    Sandy dutifully jotted down which wires should go to where with a little marker on the wire box. "Hold th' thanks 'till we've got her switched on an' workin' properly. Sometimes, machines get a lil' ornery when you get ahead of yourself."

"How messy! It looks like matching-puzzle time."

Night Jewel turned to Sandy and smiled. "Need a hoof straightening this out? Or do you need moral support? I'd be happy to help with either."
    "Keep a light on, an' double-check it as I go. I'm liable t'lose a wire in this lot, an' I can't concentrate on a light spell while I'm tracin' th' wires out." He took a deep breath, staring at the unholy tangle of wires he was about to delve into. His confidence took a few steps back. "...an', uh, if y'got room for moral support in there somewhere, I suppose that couldn't hurt."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2014-01-29 at 11:45 PM.