New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 57 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (PF) maggie's Rise of the Runelords: Skinsaw Murders IC

Setsuna

Setsuna does what she can to help get the girl situated on Red's shoulder. "I will do what I can."
    Lilith Avatar by AsteriskAmp

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .
    Setsuna by Kymme | Desril by Wolfshonor | Eruvia (no background) by Oneris

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Easing the sack-cloth off the head of your erstwhile scarecrow, you find to your relief that the person within is indeed not a ghoul but a half-delirious Varisian matron, likely one of the Bolin's hired hands, her dark tresses matted with dried blood and her ruddy skin blanching almost white with fever. Getting her back to the Bolin farmhouse is no easy task for Red and Setsuna - she is stout enough that Setsuna must pick apart a good section of the flesh-festooned wire to get her through - but the small cutter from Red's lock-picking set makes the job easier. Only after they have scavenged a blanket and scrabbled together a bed of sorts for the matron, do Red and Setsuna rejoin the others.

With no clear aim in mind on how exactly you all are to deal with so many scarecrows, you all follow Sirus to the cluster of six scarecrows at the junction of the nearest footpath.

Perception DC 13
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is plain to see that there is something off about the scarecrows. While three of them simply shudder violently on their wooden frames in a passing gust of wind, the other three scarecrows are oddly mobile, writhing and straining ineffectually against their baling twine bonds. Even from where you are, sixty feet away, you can just about make out the confused animal moans over the thunderous patter of raindrops.

Perception DC 20 - take this second roll only if you passed the previous roll
    Spoiler
    Show
    Squinting carefully at the three moving scarecrows, you realise that the one furthest away from you is not like the others - it seems to be struggling as though underwater, trying to push itself up to gasp for air, whereas the other two are simply focused on escaping their bindings.
    Avatar by the awesome Strawberries.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show
    RotRL: Burnt Offerings IC - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Skinsaw Murders IC I and II - COMPLETED
    RotRL: Hook Mountain Massacre IC and OOC

Seraphina "Red" Allin, fighter-rogue of double kukri slicey death

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

It was hard enough to pace with Sirus on a dry road, but slogging across muddy plots and pastures was another level. The worst part was that she knew the man was holding back to keep from losing the group. That and the burning lungs. Oh, and the task at hand. Once they're close enough to the crossroads fro a good look, she waves her arms about to signal for a stop.

"Those three..." She gasps out between gulps of air, waiving her hand at the three 'scarecrows' who looked to be struggling against their bonds with a purpose. "Something wrong... Turned? That one on the end... Why is it... so slow? Maybe faking... careful."

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus saw the difference between the scarecrows himself, even before Brin - a bit winded- pointed out. He nods and turns to Rico and Setsuna.

"I will. Go. And untie. The one. Gasping. Cover me.

Red. Why don't you. Move. Behind it. To flank. It."

If the others agree and get into position, Sirus will carefully untie it.

Spoiler
    Show
    I propose that Sirus unties it while on the defensive, with Setsuna and Rico preparing actions and Red going around it. Actually, I say we do that for all scarecrows from now on.

Also, Brin could perhaps memorize a Detect Undead spell next time!

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

On Sirus's directions, your group carefully skirts around the other scarecrows and makes for the one experiencing obvious breathing distress. Only after each of you have taken up position does Setsuna carefully approach this gasping apparition to get it down from its scaffold.

The gasping scarecrow, once its mask of sacking-cloth has been torn off, is revealed to be a burly sandy-haired man who reeks of wet cow and unwashed armpits, flesh bulging out where the ropes dig into his flabby limbs. Given the rolls of ponderous fat around his neck and belly, it is a wonder that he hasn't actually toppled his wooden cross-frame over. If the unfocused glaze of his eyes and the dark stains at his chest are any indication though, he too was been bitten by a ghoul before being lashed to the cross-frame like a prize ham hung out to ripen, and you must get him down right away.

The burly man is unresponsive when you call to him and he very nearly crushes Setsuna with his bulk when she slices through the twine keeping him aloft. He has barely flopped to the ground, however, when several loud creaks and a hoarse rattling cry from behind Taladron and Brin warns you of impending danger.

Those of you who whirl around do so just in time to behold the second of the moving scarecrows crashing to the ground as it throws itself against it restraints and snaps the pole behind its shoulders with an almighty forward lunge. The other scarecrow has already burst its bonds and has lurched to its feet, broken string trailing at its elbows and knees. Judging from the intent of their movements, it is only a matter of seconds before they come at you.

Everyone prepared actions, according to Sirus's directions. So I'll treat it as a surprise round where you all get to act against the ghoul scarecrows. Take it away, cats. If you're lucky, you'll drop them all in the surprise round.

Setsuna is still supporting the burly dude. Putting him down carefully will take a standard action.

Spoiler
    Show
    Party Initiative:
    Sirus: (1d20+4)[11]
    Brin: (1d20+5)[6]
    Setsuna: (1d20+4)[7]
    Red: (1d20+5)[11]
    Rico: (1d20+1)[20]
    Taladron: (1d20+4)[10]

Enemy Initiative:
    Ghoul 1: (1d20+2)[15]
    Ghoul 2: (1d20+2)[16]

Initiative Order:
    20 - Rico
    16 - Ghoul 2
    15 - Ghoul 1
    11 - Red
    11 - Sirus
    10 - Taladron
    7 - Setsuna
    6 - Brin

It is now the surprise round.

Battle Map

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna
    HP 34
    AC 20

Hearing the other scarecrows before seeing them, Setsuna does her best to lower the man as gently to the ground as she can, whispering to him as she does. "Hold on, we will keep you safe."

Spoiler
    Show

Since we only get one action in a surprise round, all I can do is set the man down. If I can move too, she'll run over to be in front of Brin and work as a meat-shield for our healer. I'd use the sarashi, but I'd rather save that for when it lets me get in a full attack.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

7. - Top - End - #427
    Troll in the Playground

Rico,
    HP 42/42, AC 18/20
    Rage I/III, 1/7

Earlier, she'd passed Red a moonshine bottle
    Filled with holy water for their coming battle
    Presently, Rico whirls about,
    Braces to deliver a clout
    Rips out her sword, settles her shield
    Charges down, across the field
    Leading with a mad rush
    Leaping to crush

"AN" STAY DEAD YE FIEND SCUM!"

Spoiler
    Show

Crush the dang thing with an orctapult, as you had oh so graciously predicted, ma'am. Target is Ghoul 1, if it wasn't clear.
    (1d20+13)[24]
    (1d12+9)[16] +6 from Knockdown/Knockback damage
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2014-04-10 at 01:48 PM.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Brin
    AC 18
    HP 26/26

Shocking oaths best not repeated in polite compancy (or any company, really, ) burst from Brin's mouth as the ghouls break free. He fingers, numbed by the chill of the storm, fumble and drop the first arrow from the quiver. She recovers in time--barely--to retrieve a second shaft and launch a desperate shot in the general direction of the ghoul that isn't being pounded into the mud like a fleshy tent stake by several stone of enraged guardswoman.

"Er...what Rico said!"
    She adds belatedly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+8)[23]
    damage: (1d8+1)[9]

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

Taladron

Seeing how determined the others are to attempt to save everyone they find, Taladron holds back his comments regarding putting the person they have found out of their misery.

Later when they are attacked by two ghouls who most likely just turned, Taladrons worries return with a vengence. I knew it. How long before that woman turns? Or this newly 'saved' rotund one?

Nevertheless, Taladron falls back on his tried and true acid glob, hoping to keep his more powerful spells in reserve. There aren't that many. With luck I can save my more powerful spells for another more crucial battle.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Acid Dart: Ranged Touch: (1d20+4)[10] Damage: (1d6+2)[6]

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Rico

The scarecrow that Rico has unfortunately chosen as her target has just enough time to look up as the shadow of the furious constable looms over it, right before she bowls it over, nearly tearing it in two as the ghoul hits the ground hard with a loud bird-like screech abruptly cut short.

Ghoul Scarecrow 1 is now dead.

Red
    AC 20
    HP 36/36

Spoiler
    Show
    -4 to shoot from the rain
    Attack: (1d20+3)[20]
    Damage: (1d8)[5]

Red feels her blood run cold despite the rain, her skin blanching even paler than usual as she gasps and stares, for a moment unsure of what to do. Despite all the talk about ghouls, she hadn't actually thought of what it would be like to see one. And now, there were two, swaying unsteadily and moaning in their filthy sacking cloths...

Rico's battle roar shakes her out of her stupor. Setting her jaw with grim determination, she reaches for her bow and nocks an arrow, the moist bowstring digging into the crook of her fingers. Her sister would be screeching at her for shooting with a wet string. But there wasn't really much of a choice here - not if she didn't want to venture too close. Sirus and Taladron were just staring. Why were they staring?

Cayden preserve us. Taking a deep breath, Red sights down the remaining ghoul and fires, lodging the arrow deep in the skull of the second scarecrow.

Sirus misses his turn.

Taladron and Brin

Too worried to focus on aiming, Taladron's ball of acid falls just short of the second scarecrow and hisses into the muddy ground at its feet, steam rising as it eats into the earth. Brin's arrow, however, strikes true - piercing the scarecrow's throat with such force that it rears back and topples to the ground.

It is difficult to say for sure how ghoul physiology works, nor what keeps their bodies animated. But the two arrows do the trick and within seconds, the second scarecrow ceases its struggles and expires with nothing more than a low gurgle.

Ghoul Scarecrow 2 is now dead.

Combat is over, initiative ends.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Seeing the ghouls be dealt with quickly lets Setsuna breath a sigh of relief, and she doesn't stand back up after setting the big man down after Brin's arrow fells the second ghoul, instead trying her best to support his bulk, something which her muscles aren't exactly used.

Talking to their rescued infected first, Setsuna does her best to be soothing, "You are safe now, we will take care of the ghouls. We are going to try moving you now though, can you stand if we help you?"

Wondering about the validity of taking every survivor back to the farm house she addresses the others, "It will take too long to carry him back to the farm house. Every minute we delay more people could die."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus does not have the time to react, as his companions smash the two ghouls from undeath to death. When the carnage is over, he just stands and watches owlishly.

"Then. We leave him. Here. Under watch. And. Clear. The field. After all. He has been. Bitten. Already."

He then prepares to move on to the next scarecrow.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

Taladron

"I don't think we can take the time to return to the farmhouse, but I don't think we can merely leave those we find where they lie either... As difficult as it may be to accept, we may need to consider offering the Ladies Mercy to those we come upon. Otherwise those who were fine before may become our foes." Taladron lets what he is suggesting sink in a moment before continuing.

"We have already proven ourselves to be more than a match for a pair of ghouls, but what if next time there are five ghouls or ten? What if we allow those already at the cusp of ghoulification remain behind to turn? What if they turn, and instead of attacking us go off to repeat this tragedy somewhere else? Somewhere where a lucky drunk doesn't escape to warn others of the dead and dieing?"

He looks about at the faces of his companions, trying to gauge their reactions. "I know it may seem cold-hearted, but without a reliable way to cure those we find still alive of the disease we are leaving enemies behind us to take us unaware."

14. - Top - End - #434
    Troll in the Playground

"Ugh. Madness."

Just to make sure, Rico moves to both of the downed ghouls after the brief fight ends. Taking careful aim, she decapitates them with her sword--- making sure to clean her blade afterward with a sheaf of wet grass, then a disposable rag--- then smashes both to a pulp with her maul-like battle-table.

Her eyes hidden by the brim of her helm, she coughs at the others and says, "Sorreh fer sayin' it, but 't has ta be said. Who's gunna be left behind ta watch over 'em? We take 'em with us, tha's tryna... fight shackled an' manacled. We leave 'em... they be fishbait. Fiendbait, rather."

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

At the mention of 'lucky drunk', Red glances sharply at Taladron, an uneasy look on her face as she takes in the full impact of what the others are saying and narrows her eyes as she begins to understand. Even Rico thought they were a burden. Did they really mean to...?

"... Then I will stay." The words slip from her mouth with surprising ease, edged with the barest trace of anger. Taking a deep breath, Red looks around at the others with an odd fire in her eyes, almost daring them to challenge her. The uncustomary bravado only burns bright for a moment though. Barely a few seconds later, Red drops her eyes and tugging her coil of rope free from her pack, begins to bind the burly man around the ankles - if he did turn, then at least she'd have something to slow him down with before stabbing him. They'd killed Grayst yesterday, because it was too late for him. But she would not leave this one behind just because he was a burden. Not when he wasn't even in as bad a way as Grayst.

Save yer breath, kid. Just leave her.

What?! No. She's my sister, she needs help-

Which yer family can't afford. You know our law. Besides. Look at that arm. It ain't never gonna heal right. And what 'bout the rest of her? Face it, kid. The girl's a runt and thicker than a brick wall. Yer want her to be a cripple as well? Yer think yer daddy's gonna treat her any better for it, when he beat her to a pulp and he don't give a toss?

Swimming up through black waves of fever, Sera shivers in her brother's arms and curls up a little tighter, pressing her head against his skinny chest as she feels his grip on her tighten. Their voices like thunder cracking. Why wouldn't they just stop talking and go away?

Blast you and your stinking god- All you care 'bout is money, ain't it? If Abadar won't help her, then I'll keep looking. I'll find a priest who'll help. And when I do-

Red pulls fast a knot on the burly man's ankles. Thom had found a priest in the end, a traveler in a seedy Riddleport alehouse, dressed not in gleaming white and gold, but in shabby clothing little better than rags, with no other sign of her faith but a battered iron tankard tied to her belt.

They call me god the Lucky Drunk. And seeing as to how yer dead on yer feet, kid... I'd say it's most definitely yer lucky day. Chin up. I'll see what I can do.

Red rubs the spot on her arm where the bone had healed all those years ago, half lost in drifting pain-soaked memories. She couldn't let things slide, this time. Not when the name of Cayden Cailean was raised in the name of something like this. Mister Fox... what would you have done?
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-04-12 at 06:51 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Glad that at least one person is being reasonable, Setsuna lets Red handle the glaring and instead looks compasionate. Speaking up as Red moves to tie up the man's legs and holds up a hand to signal the rogue to wait. "I am not leaving you here. We can carry him with us. Turning into a ghoul takes days, not hours or minutes. Even the crazed man we found had at least several hours left."

Looking at the rest of the group she continues, "If you are afraid of being bitten then I will carry him. I will just be a little slow."

Not really giving anyone a chance to argue, she does her best to lift the man up off the ground again, struggling the whole way and doing her best not to slip and fall or let her knees tremble under the enormous weight of the man.

Spoiler
    Show

I was wondering when exactly the 8 strength would become a problem. I didn't think it'd be because I'd need to carry people.
    Last edited by Desril; 2014-04-12 at 08:47 AM.

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Red's brow twitches in annoyance when she sees Setsuna try to lift the man and her restraining grip on Setsuna's shoulder is much tighter than she'd intended for it to be.

"No. You cannot... carry him. If he falls... he will be hurt. And even now you... cannot walk. But you can... fight. Better than me. You should go. I will guard... You can see me. All the time. I will... be fine." She places a hand on the heavy handle of her kukri and nods to underscore her point.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #438
    Troll in the Playground

((OOC @Bcool: Sorry, missed yours, man. You might have posted while mine was under construction.))

"Dgggggghhhhhhhhhnnnnn..." Rico groans as she sinks to her haunches, rubbing at her temples, flicking her ears furiously and leaning heavily on her battle-table. The storm patters off her armour as she snorts silently in frustration and fury.

Her right hand caresses for a moment her sword's pommel then rises up to her much-scarred neck... and then to touch the brim of the inscribed hat secretly worn beneath her duty-helm.

The snorting turns into a long sigh, the groan into an iron-fisted punch into the ground, sending mud spattering high.

"We got through gorram frakloads o' demons an' gorram hellwankers... " she growls, breathing heavily, as if there was something more that she wanted to say, then forces through her teeth, "Fox wouldna left nobody. Neither'd I."

Rico jabs a blunt finger at Setsuna and says, "Hellgirl. Ye need a good long time more o' weights an' pushups. No, not that sort. Damned straight, Red's right...

...Except fer that... hell, Red, please, don't. Look. NOT an insult to ye. But we are NOT takin' the chances o' these wolf-pack dedders goin' 'round an' catchin' jus' one all alone. Nobody else is dyin' on my watch.

You're not dying on my watch. I ain't losin' ye. Not if I can 'elp it.

Tal, you too... but I don't want me badge nor conscience sullied."

"Makeshift stretcher, eh?" She then mechanically re-fastens the portly victim's ropes, then hauls up the head-end onto one shoulder and says, "Red? Legs, please. Two sets o' strong arms are better'n jus' one carrier. An', we move quicker that way, too. Lift on three. One... two..."

"Three--- HUP." she grunts as she stands, then says to the others, "Primary objective is search and destroy, ya got that? They's strung up as bait. Or offerings. Tha's worse. Wotevva. Point is, we get to 'em, we kill them dedders. No mercy fer these hellfrakkers. We kill 'em, we can rescue th' farmers no problemo. 'Ny questions?"

"Me'n Red'll take fatso 'ere. Jus' plain muscle, no other reason." she continues, while her left arm re-arms her battle-table. "Sirus, Hellgirl, lead th' way. We get to 'em, clump by clump. Systematic. Red, when we find dem nasties, we set this frigger down, den kill 'em quick. Brin, Tal, keep yersel's alive ta keep us alive. Arright? Move out, dammit."
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2014-04-12 at 11:00 AM.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus is about to continue onwards but he stops and stands. He points one finger upwards as he speaks and then more, as if numbering his arguments. Which he does.

"All. Of you. Think.

These people. Have been here. For hours. If. Ghouls. Were. To eat them. They would have. By now.

Also. This man. Has already. Be bitten. If they. Were. To kill him. They would have.

Thirdly. Ghouls. Would go. For us. Not for. A diseased. Man. Half hidden. Under the corn. They will. Go. For us.

And finally. I can. See him. From. Ninety feet. Away. And I can outrun. Any. Ghoul.

Please. Leave him. Here. And let us. Search. The field."

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

Red

Giving Rico's arm a grateful nudge, Red stubbornly stands her ground and tries to look Sirus in the eye - no easy task, given how many heads the half-orc stands above her.

"Mister Sirus... then you can... kill all the ghouls... before they get to us. Right? Whether we are here... or carrying this man... it is the same. Because you... will get them. First. Or you can... help us... carry him back. To the other house."

No. I will not leave this one.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-04-12 at 12:13 PM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna

Conceding the point to Red and Rico about her lack of raw physical strength, the irritation at her own weakness is overruled by the relief of knowing that they aren't just going to leave the man lying there as food. But what was that about push-ups?

As Sirus makes his point though, the tiefling makes a counter-argument after Red. "They left him here to torture him. Ghouls are not like zombies, they can think and plan. If others find him and the two ghouls we cut down, they might..." what was that phrase? I think maybe... "cut their losses, and leave with him. I can see in this too, but this field is too large to clear and still watch everyone we find if we leave them lying."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

Brin

"Or they might circle us and close in as we stand here arguing."
    Brin huffs. "Or, if there aren't many of them, sit back and wait for us to split up so they can hunt down the straggler." She looks at Red.

"We can carry this one with us or take him back to the farm house, but we can't split up." Sirus was probably right, Brin admits to herself, but he was obviously on the losing side of the vote here, and leaving a sick man to languish in the rain didn't much appeal to elf. The ghouls fever alone might take days to turn a healthy victim, but one suffering from exposure? Being tied up like this in a rainstorm might kill a person with a weak constitution on its own, ghoul fever or no.

Besides, Sirus wasn't fool enough to run off alone to the next set of victims if he lost the argument, Red, well... at least the woman's heart was in the right place.

"I vote for the farm house."

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus sighs inwardly, as for the hundredth time, the party chooses to argue insignificant points in the worst time possible. One of those days, he would get used to it. He really thought that their experience in the catacombs would have made an impact. Apparently not. Splitting the party, thinking that the whole affair was staged for their benefit, a belief in the immediate benefits of the most basically humane thing to do, all over again.

At least, we are arguing for the correct things.

Outwardly, he shrugs, as if to say "to the farmhouse".

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

In the end, the expertise of the resident healer wins out. Puffing under the man's weight, Rico lugs him all the way back to the Bolin's ravaged farmhouse. Checking all vital signs carefully, those of you concerned about the health of the victims find that the other woman hasn't deteriorated or been eaten yet. If the ghouls intended to lay an ambush for you, as Sirus says, then they certainly haven't made their move yet.

Trudging back out into the miserable weather, you all make for the next largest cluster of scarecrows along the south-west border of the Hambley estate. Those of you who were paying attention to Caizarlu yesterday quickly realise the forests just beyond the wire fence are in fact the fey-infested glades of the Whisperwood, Varisia's largest forest and a place where only hungry wolves and hungrier bandits alike dare to roam. There are no convenient waterways near the Hambley estate itself by which a stinking ghoul might have used to travel undetected, but there are at least two other rivers that wend and peter out in the verdant cradle of the Whisperwood. Perhaps that is how the ghouls might have accessed the farmlands thus unnoticed? Or unless they have a more sinister means of sneaking around the Varisian countryside...

To get to the next cluster of scarecrows without cutting through the wheat fields, you have to follow a well-worn dirt path that takes you by yet another scarecrow, dressed in tatters and crucified precariously onto a thick wooden stake a short distance away from the path. This lone scarecrow is limp and gangly, with its head bowed low and straw stuffing spilling out of its sleeves and pant legs. It appears quite normal to most of you.

Perception DC 18
    Spoiler
    Show
    This scarecrow isn't breathing, that's for sure, which is a relief. At a glance, it would seem like an exceptionally well-padded if raggedy specimen of its kind. Yet, all the same, something in your gut tells you to beware. Perhaps it is the unnatural stillness of the effigy, all trussed up like a prisoner of a savage tribe. Or perhaps it the awful button eyes that stare down unblinkingly at you as you approach. Either way, you can't help feeling spooked and like something is going to go wrong.

It is only when you venture to step past the lone scarecrow that things begin to happen. The captured carrionstorm, which had hitherto subsided into a sulky silence since your arrival at the Bolins, suddenly starts up an almighty screeching and begins tearing at its sack-cloth prison with renewed vigour. The rough canvas weave of the sack barely serves to muffle its ear-splitting cries and no sooner has it begun its racket, does the lone scarecrow suddenly shudder to stiff life, jerking its head upwards and slowly rotating its sightless eyes to gaze in your direction. Mechanically, it tugs sharply at its bonds, causing its the wooden stake to shudder and shift in the wet ground.

Spoiler
    Show
    STR check: (1d20+1)[11]

Combat has NOT begun. (Unless one of you attacks something.) The carrionstorm is making lots of noise. The scarecrow is still on its frame.

Map
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-04-15 at 08:31 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #445
    Troll in the Playground

Rico, Charged
    HP 42/42, AC 16/20
    Rage I/III, 2/7

Twitching a the captured raven's cries,
    Rico's sword out of its scabbard sighs
    Letting her battle-table go for now
    Through undead meat does plough
    With two-handed fury
    Doom shall soon see

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+12)[23]
    (1d10+16)[18]
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2014-04-15 at 12:44 PM.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna
    HP 34
    AC 20

Barely having time to realize the new scarecrow was a ghoul and not move to free it before Rico puts it down, Setsuna instead changes stance and points Maethilur toward the sack containing the carrionstorm, but looks to the party first. "Should we let it go and try to follow it after clear the fields? Or end it? It is too loud to take with us now and we can not leave it alone."

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

GM post

Before anyone else has a chance to protest, a powerful swipe of Rico's sword cleaves the scarecrow in twain, severing it through just above the hip. Though the scarecrow's face remains hidden, it doesn't take a genius to realise that this was indeed another ghoul, for Rico's sword sprays no blood or slick viscera. Instead, shriveled shreds of rancid innards, blighted with the ghoul decay, slowly spill out of the scarecrow's stomach cavity and onto the wet ground. If this body was alive, it was only so long ago.

As you all stare at the squalling undead bird, uncertain of what to do now, those of you who are more alert realise that the racket is beginning to draw unwanted attention to yourselves. From the tall trees of the Whisperwood come several answering bird cries, to which the carrionstorm seems to be responding, croaking shrilly in the same strange language that its flock spoke at Pauper's Grave. To makes things worse, those of you who squint through the rain can count no less than seven indistinct shapes loping towards you with frightening speed. Unimpeded, they will reach you in slightly over a minute.

For those who understand Necril or Aklo or Osiriani only - otherwise, make a Linguistics DC 13 check
    Spoiler
    Show
    *Fear. Danger. Here here here here here here HERE.

Red

Staring through the rain with growing dread in her heart, Red hesitates, torn between going for her bow and preparing her blades. There was no way she couldn't shoot all of those figures at once. And what if they weren't ghouls? Or were ghouls?

"Kill it," she says quietly to Setsuna, without taking her eyes off the approaching figures as she slides an arrow out of the battered leather quiver at her side.
    Last edited by maggie_mcknife; 2014-04-17 at 09:09 AM.

MINE:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

Sirus

Sirus notices the shapes coming their way, as well as the carrionstorm that will erupt soon enough. He turns to the others.

"Suggestion. Setsuna. Come. With me. We intercept. The ghouls. Coming. Rico. Stay. Protect. Brin. Taladron. Take care. Of the. Carrionstorm. With magic. Red. Your call."

If Setsuna agrees, he strides in the midst of the field and prepared for the oncoming ghouls.

Spoiler
    Show
    Well prepare action for FoB tripping with 1 ki point spent, for a total of three attempts at three different targets.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna
    HP 34
    AC 24
    (Shield, +3 Mirror Images)

Looking away from the sack with the undead bird to try and figure out what Red and Sirus were looking at, it takes her a moment longer to recognize the shapes of the ghouls. Putting the threat of a single member of a carrionstorm out of her mind, Setsuna quickly starts calling upon a spell to shield herself from the ghouls' paralytic claws as she nods at Sirus.

Falling into step next to him as he strides out to meet the ghouls part-way, she casts another spell, this time causing a trio of illusory Setsunas to appear around the original making the real one impossible to locate and giving her voice an ominous echo as it's synchronized between multiple bodies. "I will try to keep their attention. All I need to do is not let them hit me."

Spoiler
    Show

Since we've got a minute, probably easier to get multiple rounds of buffing per post, right? Shield and Mirror Image. Both last for 5 minutes. Since Sirus and Setsuna were moving to intercept, how many more rounds do we have? 6? 7?)

For Mirror Image, I used the dice thread (1d4+1)[3]

Other Character Avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

. . . . . .

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

Taladron
    HP 30/30
    AC 13

"Setsuna if you are going to try and act as a focus hold a moment. I have some help in mind." Says Taladron as he focuses his arcane energies. He gestures and chants in celestial for a few moments before a ball of white light appears before the group.

Spoiler: Celestial
    Show
    We face foul undead and need your help. If you stay above the reach of the walkers below you should not be troubled overmuch by the ones that fill the sky. Follow above the Tiefling and fire down on the walkers. Watch out for her, she tends to be reckless.

Quickly re-marshaling his concentration, Taladron begins a spell full of sharp quick movements and clipped words before jabbing a finger at Rico, Red, Brin, Setsuna, and the Lantern Archon he summoned. Each of them instantly feels as though the world around them has slowed, yet they remain the same speed.

Spoiler: Actions:
    Show
    Round 1: Full round action to cast Summon Monster 3 for the Lantern Archon.
    Round 2: Cast Haste on the ones named. Move Action to pull out a Scroll of Mirror Image.

Spoiler: Archon Stat Block
    Show
    LG Small outsider (archon, extraplanar, good, lawful)
    Init +4; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +4 Aura aura of menace (DC 13)
    DEFENSE

AC 15, touch 11, flat-footed 15 (+4 natural, +1 size; +2 deflect vs. evil) (+1 dodge from haste)
    hp 13 [17] (2d10+2) [2d10+6]
    Fort +4 [+6], Ref +3 (+1 from haste), Will +0; +4 vs. poison, +2 resistance vs. evil
    DR 10/evil; Immune electricity, petrification
    OFFENSE

Speed fly 60 ft. (perfect) (+30 from haste)
    Ranged 2 (+1 from haste) light rays +3 (+1 from haste) ranged touch (1d6)
    Spell-Like Abilities (CL 3rd):

At Will—aid, continual flame, detect evil, greater teleport (self plus 50 lbs. of objects only)
    STATISTICS

Str 1 [5], Dex 11, Con 12 [16], Int 6, Wis 11, Cha 10
    Base Atk +2; CMB -4 [-2]; CMD 6 [8]
    Feats Improved Initiative
    Skills Diplomacy +5, Fly +14, Knowledge (planes) +3, Perception +4, Sense Motive +5
    Languages Celestial, Draconic, Infernal; truespeech

Spoiler: Archons first round of actions
    Show
    Move Action: Fly so as to be 15ft. Above Setsuna at the end of her move, Standard Action: Cast Aid on Setsuna (+1 morale bonus to attacks and saves vs. fear) add (1d8+3)[5] temporary hit points.