New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: One Piece III: Cups!

Quote Originally Posted by Infernally Clay View Post
    There's a crossover!? :O
    Ah buggers... Curse my brain and its random ideas for crossovers If someone writes it I at least demand credit! And a link to read it.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Rayleigh should definitely know more, what with being the second mate
    He does know, he was going to tell Luffy what One Piece was outright when they first met in Sadobody. Luffy stopped him mid sentence and said not to tell as that would ruin the fun of the adventure.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    How do you judge power? Raw physical strength? Haki proficiency? Devil Fruit powers? Furthermore, if this works like Clay's DF, why would he have a fluctuating power level? Touch one uber strong dude (which wouldn't be easy, granted) and just retain the power.
    1.) Easy, just give it a time limit. There are fruits with time limits in OP right?

2.) That's the beauty of it, what qualifies as "powerful" depends entirely on the individual you touch. For one person it could be their raw strength, for another person (like Buggy for example) it could be their charisma, for pre-timeskip Usopp it could be their ability to out-lie, out-think, and take a hit many times over. That's what makes them so potentially random!

4. - Top - End - #214

PirateGuy

Double posting because there's a new episode afoot! If I miss anything just blame that on my sleep deprivation, sorry.

Alright first let me preface this by saying that there's a new intro animation with some really cool tidbits in it which may or may not already be revealed in the manga. Among these tidbits are the facts that Mr. Green Bull is apparently a swordsman (ran out of good logias, WG?), as well as showcasing some of the updated character models for people we haven't quite gotten to yet.

Anyway, on to the actual episode. We start off with more people in various places reacting to the news in the papers, the most interesting of which include Kid's alliance and the Navy. We then stick with the Navy guys for a bit as they go on a bit about how important the Warlords are to their cause, listing them all off at the end of it. We also get confirmation that Buggy is a Warlord, and in a move very reminiscent of the second Pirate Warriors game we hear that he's amassed a very large and powerful group of pirates in the two years during the timeskip. Anyway, the Navy guys led by Akainu (who's shown to be sporting a really thin beard thingy) are kind of pissed that the position of the Warlords seems to be fluctuating so much given how important they're supposed to be, so Akainu sent a guy after Law and Luffy. Joy.

We then cut back to the straw hats and Law on the snail with Doflamingo, and after Luffy does his usual schtick of rolling a Nat. 1 on his Diplomacy check Doflamingo mentions that he has something that Luffy would really want. Law takes the receiver back before they can finish their conversation and gets back to negotiations, and once that's planned out Luffy hangs up. We learn at the end of the episode that the thing Luffy would really want is Ace's fruit, but nobody on the Straw Hat's ship knows that.

Anyway we get some further exposition of the motivations/plans of Kinemon and Law (I'll skip it because most of you know it already and really all of this is scheduled for after Dressrosa so we'll get back to it later, the only really important thing is that Law's looking for the main facility where Smile is located so he can destroy it) and then cut back to Doflamingo's castle. We see some more of the freaks and geeks that live there (and man, some of them are seriously freaky), and at the end of it all we see Ace's fruit, as mentioned earlier. We end off with the crew coming up at the island of Dressrosa.

So yeah, tl;dr this episode was pretty cram packed full of STUFF.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Oh another new opening? hopefully the official releases will actually get to play it this time around.

I mean really, how long has anime existed and been dubbed and you don't understand that your song is going to be used all over the world? and Hands up was a REALLY good opening.

Edit : Opening 17 ain't bad either, not as good as 16 though, but I also think opening 16 could be the best in the entire series.
    Last edited by ryuplaneswalker; 2014-01-19 at 04:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Stuff happens?
    Show

I guess.

Luffy & Co infiltrate the palace (and Viola seems impressed by their... tactics or power, not sure). We get some scenes from the coliseum and Oda still won't reveal he identity of new Lucy. (Maybe it's not "him"? Hah, who am I kidding.) And I guess the nicest part was the talk between Mingo and the admiral. Who apparently would rather work with the revolutionaries. Or rather takes the "destroy the system from within" approach? We'll see. Though I guess Oda is saving him for much later.
    Oh, almost forgot Franky's scene. His opponent is still pretty weird but I guess somewhat likable now.
    "What's done is done."

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Looked up the new opening, and its ironic an opening with Fujitora and Lucy would miss Jesus' beard. Boy its face is going to be red when the Blackbeard's ALL look different.

Spoiler
    Show
    You know how this is going to end? Its going to crash on Doffy's head and Fujitora is going to hang him out to dry For Great Justice.

On a different note the hair cannon does nothing.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Spoiler: Stuff happens?
    Show

I guess.

Luffy & Co infiltrate the palace (and Viola seems impressed by their... tactics or power, not sure). We get some scenes from the coliseum and Oda still won't reveal he identity of new Lucy. (Maybe it's not "him"? Hah, who am I kidding.) And I guess the nicest part was the talk between Mingo and the admiral. Who apparently would rather work with the revolutionaries. Or rather takes the "destroy the system from within" approach? We'll see. Though I guess Oda is saving him for much later.
    Oh, almost forgot Franky's scene. His opponent is still pretty weird but I guess somewhat likable now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oh no, Fujitora sounds like he just wants to get rid of the Shichibukai. He doesn't seem to like the idea of powerful pirates being given free reign to do as they like by the World Government. Fujitora seems to be a less extreme Akainu, although that doesn't necessarily make him a good guy.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh no, Fujitora sounds like he just wants to get rid of the Shichibukai. He doesn't seem to like the idea of powerful pirates being given free reign to do as they like by the World Government. Fujitora seems to be a less extreme Akainu, although that doesn't necessarily make him a good guy.
    Okay, I guess that's what he says but I'd think then he'd have attacked Luffy and Co right away back in the pub. Or I just like my version of his motivation better
    "What's done is done."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Saying someone is less an extremist then Akainu is like saying that something is less hot then molten lava.

This was a good chapter. I like how they're still teasing us about Sabo, and I like how it appears Koala beat someone up and stole their cloths to try and do what Sabo is doing.

Also, I am almost certain that they're lying about the hair gun. It'll shoot something. Just you wait and see. It's also rather amusing to see FRANKY, the most absurd party member, being completely baffled by what he's fighting.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Saying someone is less an extremist then Akainu is like saying that something is less hot then molten lava.
    I am laughing waaaay to hard at that.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soras Teva Gee View Post
    I am laughing waaaay to hard at that.
    While the pun is nice in the same way there is much hotter stuff than molten lava (by the way, Isn't molten lava a tautology?) there are far more extreme stances than Aikanu's. He only burns his allies when they are standing in his way or refuse to fight. He could just burn them for fun

Also: If Franky starts shooting from his hair we know he really is out of options. (And I'm not sure if a cyborg is weirder than a walking, pooping skeleton. I'd say it's a draw.)
    "What's done is done."

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    While the pun is nice in the same way there is much hotter stuff than molten lava (by the way, Isn't molten lava a tautology?) there are far more extreme stances than Aikanu's. He only burns his allies when they are standing in his way or refuse to fight. He could just burn them for fun

Also: If Franky starts shooting from his hair we know he really is out of options. (And I'm not sure if a cyborg is weirder than a walking, pooping skeleton. I'd say it's a draw.)
    I meant in term of ideology. Akainu probably has one of the strongest, most steadfast beliefs in the series. If you've got even a tinge of "evil" in you, he'll crush you.

Also, I'll be perfectly honest, my use of magma as an example of a really hot thing was actually a coincidence, not intentional

Franky, before the time skip, was a half cyborg wearing a speedo and a hawaiian jacket, with ace ventura hair, powered by coke a cola. That's decidedly stranger then a living skeleton.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    His talk about needing to protect civilians makes him a good guy in my book.

I doubt we would ever hear Akainu talk like that. He is more concerned with punishing criminals than protecting anyone.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, Smoker also is decidedly against the institution of the Shichibukai. Considering everything else we've seen from Fujitora, what with his concern for civilian's lives and wellbeing clearly being his number one priority. He probably thinks the Seven Warlords do more harm than good, which considering the exploits of most of them isn't an entirely unreasonable assessment.
    You are a Rose, You are a blade
    I'm Down on my knees in the dark and fiery reign
    -David Defeis, Virgin Steele

The Official Pharaoh Pimp - Power Metal at its finest!

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

I meant in term of ideology. Akainu probably has one of the strongest, most steadfast beliefs in the series. If you've got even a tinge of "evil" in you, he'll crush you.
    Well, depending on his definition of "evil", I guess... though, he's sensible enough not to try to crush Shanks during the Marineford battle (or did it really take someone else to stop him? I forget)

Also, I'll be perfectly honest, my use of magma as an example of a really hot thing was actually a coincidence, not intentional
    Heh, I almost find that hard to believe but if you say so

Franky, before the time skip, was a half cyborg wearing a speedo and a hawaiian jacket, with ace ventura hair, powered by coke a cola. That's decidedly stranger then a living skeleton.
    But... but he poops... Ah, okay, I guess the powered by coke bit gives Franky the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    His talk about needing to protect civilians makes him a good guy in my book.

I doubt we would ever hear Akainu talk like that. He is more concerned with punishing criminals than protecting anyone.
    Yup, pretty much this. Okay, we don't know if he is willing to fight the absolute justice mentality but as long as these are his priorities he's much better than the majority of head marines, I think.
    "What's done is done."

17. - Top - End - #227

PirateGuy

Sorry for interrupting the discussion with a wall of text again buuutttt....

They released another set of episodes for the English release, now since most of the episodes in this one were either filler (though admittedly some of my favorite filler episodes) or preparations for the future unintentional voyage to Thriller Bark, I suppose the most important parts to discuss are the new voices we get to hear for the various characters we haven't heard from before or haven't heard from in a while.

In the episode with the meeting between Shanks and Whitebeard we get a lot of these. Shanks sounds awesome as always but I'll admit I was hoping for more of a louder, deeper, more booming voice for Whitebeard. It's ironic, the pirate in the series with quite possibly some of the least pirate-like behavior and ideologies in the series (outside of the Straw Hats of course) has one of the most stereotypical-sounding pirate voices in the show. The various members of Whitebeard's crew all sounded like I'd generally expect them to though.

Much like Whitebeard I was expecting a deeper voice for Garp (have we heard his voice before now?) but the one we're working with now sounds fine to me. In Strong World we already saw that Sengoku had his own unique voice so I'm not worried about much there. Coby and Helmepo (but mostly Coby) both have different voices, and I think Coby may have an entirely new voice actor altogether. Unsurprising given how long it's been since those first few episodes came out in English, plus I think the newer, more mature voice fits better with how he looks now.

Usopp's apology scene was handled well, I think, and the last episode which showcased the family/friends of the crew reacting to the increased bounties of the crew was fun to watch as well. I really like the voice for Dragon, it's very fittingly imposing.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

And dam i am missing that version of him, i really dont like the new one after having seen the awesomenes that were the previous Franky.

Well, depending on his definition of "evil", I guess... though, he's sensible enough not to try to crush Shanks during the Marineford battle (or did it really take someone else to stop him? I forget)
    Oh no, the only reason for why that did not end in hot magma everywhere, is that WB had smacked him down into a fissure.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Helms View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, Smoker also is decidedly against the institution of the Shichibukai. Considering everything else we've seen from Fujitora, what with his concern for civilian's lives and wellbeing clearly being his number one priority. He probably thinks the Seven Warlords do more harm than good, which considering the exploits of most of them isn't an entirely unreasonable assessment.
    Being able to make that assessment makes him pretty sensible for a marine, don't you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, i consider Smoker one of the more sensible people in general.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

I see Dr. Freud is vacationing in Hawaii then.

Speaking of which...

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    His compulsive chain smoking is actually a subconcious reaction to the stress of being the only sane man in a world of madness.

He was actually slipped the fruit by Tashigi out of concern for his health.

22. - Top - End - #232

This is true. He still has one of my favorite scenes in the manga. "I'm sorry, my pants ate your ice cream"

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

This is true. He still has one of my favorite scenes in the manga. "I'm sorry, my pants ate your ice cream"
    I loved that moment.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes? That is what I was saying. Smoker (and from the looks of thinks, Fujitora both) seem(s) to be very sensible.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

His compulsive chain smoking is actually a subconcious reaction to the stress of being the only sane man in a world of madness.

He was actually slipped the fruit by Tashigi out of concern for his health.
    And thats my new headcanon

Showing that he is also one of the few people in power who are truely kind.

Yes? That is what I was saying. Smoker (and from the looks of thinks, Fujitora both) seem(s) to be very sensible.
    No.. you said for a marine

And i think we can all agree on that there are quite a few people there who drags the average down severly.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

No.. you said for a marine

And i think we can all agree on that there are quite a few people there who drags the average down severly [sic].
    Ah. So I did. I think both statements still strike true though. An admiral who cares about civilians? Inconceivable!

Speaking of Fujitora, he was apparently drafted in to the marines during the time skip ... How does a draftee rise to the position of admiral in two years or less?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Clearly by being strong enough to to beat any Vice Admiral they would care to name blindfolded.. and cocky enough to say "if im going to join then i wanna be an admiral"

And the marine could not afford to say no.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Clearly by being strong enough to to beat any Vice Admiral they would care to name blindfolded.. and cocky enough to say "if im going to join then i wanna be an admiral"

And the marine could not afford to say no.
    But how the Hell does someone that strong just come out of nowhere? That's what confuses me.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Geez, I have to admit I totally forgot that scene. I'll say, maybe it was a bit much but it worked really well to establish Smoker's character.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Speaking of Fujitora, he was apparently drafted in to the marines during the time skip ... How does a draftee rise to the position of admiral in two years or less?
    Who says he must have been new to the Marines? Because he wasn't at Marineford? The sea is large, it's not impossible he had an important job elsewhere which is why we never saw him before. I think there are many vice-Admirals we haven't seen yet.
    "What's done is done."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

But how the Hell does someone that strong just come out of nowhere? That's what confuses me.
    Well.. i think to start with Enel is a great example of how people who are insanely powerfull can be hiding themself out in the middle of nowhere.

And this guy does seem relatively old, i dont think its unlikely he is someone from the previous era who the marine has lured back in action.

Who says he must have been new to the Marines? Because he wasn't at Marineford? The sea is large, it's not impossible he had an important job elsewhere which is why we never saw him before. I think there are many vice-Admirals we haven't seen yet.
    Well.. he did say he had been drafted, that kinda hints toward him being new to the marine.