New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XXXIII: The only winning move is not to play

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    But it does happen in Torchlight. I believe Torchlight had a 2 or 3 level memory - any time that you went back up past a certain point you would find the level re-populated. I actually lost a Hardcore character when I forgot to buy Town Portal spells and had to reverse directions in the Goblin Fortress. In trying to get back up to the Waypoint, I entered a level I thought was cleared only to be ganked by a boss that had respawned and was sitting on the entrance to the level.

Diablo II repopulated in multiplayer. Diablo III also re-populates, which I know quite well because I had to grind certain levels incessantly to get some required materials for

Spoiler
    Show
    The Pony Level

Heck, the end-game of Diablo II was entirely focused about repeatedly grinding certain bosses and areas with your magic find maxed.
    The difference is that you do not pass through the areas within 10 minutes of playing last time. I know they repopulate, but you don't actually go through the areas unless you choose to, for grinding.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    But it does happen in Torchlight. I believe Torchlight had a 2 or 3 level memory - any time that you went back up past a certain point you would find the level re-populated. I actually lost a Hardcore character when I forgot to buy Town Portal spells and had to reverse directions in the Goblin Fortress. In trying to get back up to the Waypoint, I entered a level I thought was cleared only to be ganked by a boss that had respawned and was sitting on the entrance to the level.

Diablo II repopulated in multiplayer. Diablo III also re-populates, which I know quite well because I had to grind certain levels incessantly to get some required materials for

Spoiler
    Show
    The Pony Level

Heck, the end-game of Diablo II was entirely focused about repeatedly grinding certain bosses and areas with your magic find maxed.
    The Diablo games do not have respawns unless you leave the game and make a new one. Borderlands has enemies that respawn within minutes, while you're still in the same area.

Ugh. Another game to add. Arcane Worlds looks like it's gonna be fun. A Cube World like exploration, but you're a god-like being instead of just an adventurer.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2014-02-10 at 07:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Ugh. Another game to add. Arcane Worlds looks like it's gonna be fun. A Cube World like exploration, but you're a god-like being instead of just an adventurer.
    It looks like an updated version of Magic Carpet, which was always a fun game.

Edit: Oh, that's what the description on the Steam page says as well.
    Last edited by Brother Oni; 2014-02-10 at 01:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, Postal 2 is a terrible game. After that, Ys 1, Borderlands, and Sparkle 2 Evo, I'm 0/4 recently. God I just want to find a gem like Rogue Legacy or Dust.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Well, Postal 2 is a terrible game. After that, Ys 1, Borderlands, and Sparkle 2 Evo, I'm 0/4 recently. God I just want to find a gem like Rogue Legacy or Dust.
    Tales of Maj'Eyal

Rougelike RPG without the normal tedious bits (How much food do I have? How many arrows can I carry? Do I have enough potions for this dungeon?). Decent storyline in an excellently designed world. Random dungeons in a non-random world, so you can pick your difficulty to some degree, but can still run into steep challenges from time to time. Fully turn-based, so you have plenty of time to make your choices (or regret them). Death can be permanent, but the gods favor you, for a while...

Free download (full version) from the developer's site, also on Steam for a nominal fee, which includes cloud synching of your characters (allowing character-to-character item transfers and makes all characters available from any system you log in from) and unlocks a few (minor) things. If you buy the Steam version after trying the free one, all your progress is preserved.

Of course, I love it for it's Linux compatibility.
    DM's in New York and players are in Chicago, Paris and Hong Kong?

MapTool

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Postal 2 is intentionally risque, but it's far from terrible. No, Postal 3 is terrible.

In addition, Y's and Borderlands are also fantastic games. You need to stop calling good games bad; they're not bad just because you don't like them, they're just not the kinds of games you enjoy. Just generalizing a popular title like Y's as "terrible" is not going to win you any favors, because that game has a large following of fans who really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2014-02-12 at 01:19 PM.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akodo Makama View Post
    Snip
    Yes good. Though I would add that the genre is perhaps not for everyone, even if ToME is far friendlier than most of its kind.

See also: The thread we have for it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Postal 2 is intentionally risque, but it's far from terrible. No, Postal 3 is terrible.

In addition, Y's and Borderlands are also fantastic games. You need to stop calling good games bad; they're not bad just because you don't like them, they're just not the kinds of games you enjoy. Just generalizing a popular title like Y's as "terrible" is not going to win you any favors, because that game has a large following of fans who really enjoyed it.
    Everything is subjective. I don't feel the need to say "to me" at the end of everything I say.

Ys has the absolute stupidest combat I've ever seen. You attack a creature by physically running into them. You can position yourself behind them to avoid taking damage, but that's nearly impossible since the enemy AI isn't stupid enough in this game to have slow reactions. What's so hard about making an action button to swing your sword?

The story feels nice, but when a game focuses on the story, I get annoyed when the main character doesn't really have motivation for being "the hero". A guy, who washed ashore, is picked to save everyone, because some fortune teller said so. It's the main problem I had with Final Fantasy 12's story. Vaan and penelo were just along for the ride basically (to be fair, they were originally not in the game, and Balthier was the main character, but still, that's the version we got).

Postal 2 is hard to play. It's tries hard to compete with Sonic '06 in loading screens for one. It's buggy, and it's boring. Waiting in line at the bank. Yes, this is what you do. Actually, I compare it more than anything to Duke Nukem. It's got similar humor, and for some reason, it even has the same unarmed attack (a kick). Yeah, you can whip your junk out and pee on everything. The police bar just doesn't feel like it fits in this game. It's not Grand Theft Auto. And it's impossible to get rid of it if you do anything. Anything like, kicking a protester. The humor in this game feels more annoying to me than anything. I don't mind this kind of humor, I just don't don't think it really adds to the fun of the game.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground

Everything is subjective. I don't feel the need to say "to me" at the end of everything I say.
    You don't have to, but you should, as you are participating in an open discussion where opinions vary. Declaring something is terrible just because you think it is is potentially hurtful. You're not the only one here; every person here is an actual human being with opinions and feelings.

Ys has the absolute stupidest combat I've ever seen. You attack a creature by physically running into them. You can position yourself behind them to avoid taking damage, but that's nearly impossible since the enemy AI isn't stupid enough in this game to have slow reactions. What's so hard about making an action button to swing your sword?
    So what you're saying is, you want a generic JRPG? Y's subverts a lot of common JRPG tropes, and it also has an awesome OST. You don't have to like it, but it tried something new, and a lot of people like the series for that. Plus, there's around eight games in the series not; clearly, if they were terrible games, there would not be nearly that many.

The story feels nice, but when a game focuses on the story, I get annoyed when the main character doesn't really have motivation for being "the hero". A guy, who washed ashore, is picked to save everyone, because some fortune teller said so.
    Japan.

It's the main problem I had with Final Fantasy 12's story. Vaan and penelo were just along for the ride basically (to be fair, they were originally not in the game, and Balthier was the main character, but still, that's the version we got).
    Final Fantasy hasn't been a hallmark example of JRPGs for nearly ten years now.

Postal 2 is hard to play.
    So it's terrible? That doesn't make sense. That's like saying Dark Souls is bad because it's not holding your hand.

It's tries hard to compete with Sonic '06 in loading screens for one.
    Blame your PC, not the game.

It's buggy, and it's boring.
    It's actually not that buggy, and to many people, not boring at all.

Waiting in line at the bank. Yes, this is what you do.
    Don't forget waiting in line at the DMV! It's Postal. You seem to have missed the point entirely if what you gathered from the game is that it's dull. Your character goes POSTAL, and begins to rampage throughout town, lighting old ladies on fire and urinating on public property.

Actually, I compare it more than anything to Duke Nukem.
    Odd choice. The games are similar in theme, but not in execution or humor at all.

It's got similar humor,
    Duke Nukem is about pop culture. Postal is about going bonkers.

and for some reason, it even has the same unarmed attack (a kick).
    It's called an homage. Both Duke Nukem 3D and Postal are filled to the brim with these.

The police bar just doesn't feel like it fits in this game. It's not Grand Theft Auto.
    So you're saying a guy murdering innocent people shouldn't warrant a police response?

And it's impossible to get rid of it if you do anything.
    No, you can get rid of it. Wear a police uniform, enter another home, that kind of stuff.

Anything like, kicking a protester. The humor in this game feels more annoying to me than anything. I don't mind this kind of humor, I just don't don't think it really adds to the fun of the game.
    So you don't like it. That doesn't make it an awful game, it's just that you've explained that you don't enjoy the game, which is fine.
    Last edited by Triscuitable; 2014-02-12 at 07:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

So did anyone else get into the Steam Music beta? I got in, but I have no idea how to use it.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    So did anyone else get into the Steam Music beta? I got in, but I have no idea how to use it.
    I'm only aware of the new Steam Tags open beta, haven't heard of the Music beta.
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Who here is going to download Hawken on steam? I remember playing it in beta and enjoyed it, but didn't have anyone to play with.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Who here is going to download Hawken on steam? I remember playing it in beta and enjoyed it, but didn't have anyone to play with.
    I've downloaded it.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    The what now? When did this start?

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geno9999 View Post
    I'm only aware of the new Steam Tags open beta, haven't heard of the Music beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    The what now? When did this start?
    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steammusic

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

I have it installed. I'll give it a go with you, if you want to. I can even stream it as we play.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

Can't remember if anyone mentioned it, but Humble Bundle is selling the Civ series. Bought the cheap version for all of Civ 4. I've never played any of these kinds of games before, but I keep seeing people constantly talking about them. I promise I'll give it more of a chance. I'm a little confused though. It has three expansions, and they show up as separate games in my library. They all have their own "play" button, and they're all listed twice. They're also really big for my limited space. Anyway, it's weird to see that since other games don't do that with expansions, and I'm curious if each one is a separate game.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

The two expansions for Civ 4 (Warlords and Beyond the Sword) are just the base game with extra content--the game puts the other icons in there so you can play without that extra content if you choose, but there's probably not much point in doing so, so you should just play Beyond the Sword.

Colonization is a different matter--that's a remake of the original Sid Meier's Colonization in the Civ 4 engine, so it's somewhat different to the base game.

Oh, and of course, you should definitely try out the Fall from Heaven mod for Civ 4 at some point, it being totally awesome and all.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    All I know is that both Postal and Postal 2 got under 10% in Swedish PC Gamer's reviews. They didn't even bother with the third game.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

20. - Top - End - #350
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Postal 2 is hard to play. It's tries hard to compete with Sonic '06 in loading screens for one. It's buggy, and it's boring. Waiting in line at the bank. Yes, this is what you do. Actually, I compare it more than anything to Duke Nukem. It's got similar humor, and for some reason, it even has the same unarmed attack (a kick). Yeah, you can whip your junk out and pee on everything. The police bar just doesn't feel like it fits in this game. It's not Grand Theft Auto. And it's impossible to get rid of it if you do anything. Anything like, kicking a protester. The humor in this game feels more annoying to me than anything. I don't mind this kind of humor, I just don't don't think it really adds to the fun of the game.
    You should have seen the loading times when it first came out. Between 5 to 15 minutes on average computers at the time, and top range wouldn't go faster than 5. The humor in the game is subjective, really. I mean, it takes a special kind of person to find burning people with napalm and then pissing on them when they are a crawling carbonized mess funny.

Also, you do know you can just rob the bank or kill everybody if standing in a queue does not appease you.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground

Warframe has a Flappy Bird rip off/spoof in it now, to celebrate Flappy Bird being taken off the market. Either press Z when looking at the new Warframe or log in with the name flappy and the password bird.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Coopins, coopins, and another coopins up for grabs if anyone wants em.

75% off Krater (Til Feb 20th)

75% off Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe (Til Feb 22nd)

and

66% off Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition (Til Feb 27th)

send a pm or post.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Left 4 Dead 3 announced!

Okay, not quite. It's called Evolve, and you're elite alien hunters or something.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Left 4 Dead 3 announced!

Okay, not quite. It's called Evolve, and you're elite alien hunters or something.
    Except you can play as the alien. It's 1v3, I think (maybe 1v4?), with multiple victory conditions for either side. Hunters get a variety of weapons and tools by class, each monster (only one per game) gets an assortment that they boost over the course of the game, but they have to go stationary for a little while to progress between stages. Hunters win by killing the monster, monster wins by killing all the hunters in a short time (before any of them respawn) or some destruction-based victory condition after it hits peak strength.

Read an article on it in Game Informer last month.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

25. - Top - End - #355
    Troll in the Playground

I'm in the Dead Island: Epidemic alpha.

And that's all I can say. NDA.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

Heck yes. Such a good game. We need to all connect and play together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    Heck yes. Such a good game. We need to all connect and play together.
    The latest patch changed the game significantly, namely in terms of health. Mechs are now far more fragile, which I'm not a huge fan of. On the bright side, it encourages spreading out from the Berserker, which I admit I used in every match as it was simply too fast and powerful to be ignored.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Titan in the Playground

We'll need to coordinate when to get on.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

29. - Top - End - #359
    Dwarf in the Playground

Loving the new Tag feature. Allready saw stuff like "Overpriced port of a mobile Game." "Pay 2 Win" "Diva Dev" "Broken".

Considering how many broken or horrible games hit steam regularly now, with Greenlight and Early Access flying high, its a great tool that they added on top of Recommendations and Metacritic score (Altough Metacritic-Scores cant really be trusted in most cases).

I think im gonna dodge quite a lot of bullets with the Tags, and horrible Games like Guise of the Wolf and other offenders wont get as much traffic and sales anymore.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stuebi View Post
    Loving the new Tag feature. Allready saw stuff like "Overpriced port of a mobile Game." "Pay 2 Win" "Diva Dev" "Broken".
    Eh, I would ignore a P2W tag since a lot of people have that knee-jerk reaction (the "most helpful" Steam reviews of Neverwinter are all negative, either saying it's not enough like D&D or calling it P2W), and the overpriced port one... I saw a lot of idiots say "why would I buy Kingdom Rush when I could play it for free?" BECAUSE YOU GET ALL THIS EXTRA CONTENT!

However, people are pretty good at telling when a game is really glitchy, and the majority can usually tell whether a dev is bad or just not getting around to everyone.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting