New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Steam] Thread XXXIII: The only winning move is not to play

It does, though some of the comments in the discussions don't exactly fill me with confidence.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Final tally and opinions on what I've played so far:

Borderlands: Haven't played yet, but watched my friends play a lot of it a few years ago when it first came out on consoles. I'm not big on FPS games really, but adding RPG elements might make me enjoy it
    DLC Quest: Terrible game. Not even worth the 90 cents or whatever I paid for it. The humor of "lol, everything you do requires a DLC" fades after about two minutes, and you realize how absolutely terrible of a game it is. 94 minutes, that's how long it took me to beat it.
    Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition: A game my closest-personality-to-me friend recommends heavily. Have to give it a try soon.
    Dust: An Elysian Tale:So far this game is super fun. The story so far is pretty in-depth, and the dialogue is freaking hilarious. Fidget for character of the year. I have a couple complaints about it though. The walls you have to break with bombs gets really tedious, especially if it's a particularly far away wall, and you have to do it over and over. Just a boring and pointless mechanic to me. Also, it gets really hard at times to tell where you are what you're doing in particularly heavy combat situations. Oh, and the touchy movements get annoying. Trying to jump right as you land is impossible, and makes platform areas tough to maneuver.
    Giana Sisters - Twisted Dreams: Meh. It's a cool idea, but the transition between sisters gets really irritating, and the controls are not very fluid.
    Pandemonium: Haven't played yet, came in a two-pack with Giana Sisters.
    Scoregasm: Sucks. It looked like a pretty free-roaming shooter by the trailer, but turns out you're stuck in this small circular area. Also, not big on the whole "use one stick to move, other stick to shoot" controls.
    Spelunky: Also haven't played. Was on a good sale, and looked like a decent roguelike game.
    Star Wars Battlefront 2: I actually own this on PS2, but my console is really wonky, something about the disc tray not being closed or something. Anyway, I enjoyed the first game more, but I don't remember too much about 2. Should enjoy it plenty.
    Super Hexagon: One of those "it's less than a dollar, just get it" games. Played a few minutes with it. Hard, of course, but I think the movements could be more fluid and not jump you to a location.
    Super House of Dead Ninjas: Not bad so far. Instead of building gold like in Rogue Legacy, you earn upgrades by achieving certain things. Like, making it x amount of floors down (it's just a giant tower you go down).
    Unepic: Meh. Not what I was expecting. Lot of humor with the pop culture references, but gameplay is really lacking.
    The Witcher: Enhanced Edition: I've heard nothing but absolute praise on this game. I have to try it at some point.
    Ys 1 and 2: My only memory of a Ys game was this really really crappy side-scroller for I think the NES. The trailers for these games definitely is not those games. They look a lot more fun than I thought.
    VVVVVV: Was 50 cents in one of the last community votes. Watched a playthrough a while ago by Game Grumps, and I figured it was definitely worth that much to try.

Overall, I think I ended up spending around $40. But I had a gift card for most of it, and a little bit of Steam wallet money.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    ~snip
    I can only really comment on borderlands and dragon age, both of which are very good games.

I personally prefer borderlands with at least another person to co-op with.
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

I got a bunch of games and yet pretty much all my time has been spent building and crashing rockets in Kerbal Space Program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    MY LIFE IS RUINED FOREVER AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU, VOLATAR!!!!
    My Twitter
    Awesome Yukari avatar by memnarch.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

I myself want to finally finish borderlands 1, but it feels bland doing it by myself and I can't find anyone who wants to play a full team with me.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    I myself want to finally finish borderlands 1, but it feels bland doing it by myself and I can't find anyone who wants to play a full team with me.
    I'm in the same boat.
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Antonok View Post
    dragon age, both of which are very good games
    I don't know. Dragon Age is full of terrible filler. As in, 4 areas where something happens, and 40 where you just grind through enemies. Dwarven tunnels, forest, castle, temple, and especially ending, I am looking at you
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

8. - Top - End - #188
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volatar View Post
    I got a bunch of games and yet pretty much all my time has been spent building and crashing rockets in Kerbal Space Program.
    I got a bunch of games, but only get an hour or two a week to play on the family gaming rig.
    So i've been playing a lot of short games, like stanley parable and gone home.

I played the Witcher a long time ago and it started fun but the constant fetch questing started to feel repetitive to me. I got as far as the 3rd act, I think. I might just pick it up and finish it at some point though. I heard the Witcher 2 is better, with actual divergent storylines depending on choices made, so I picked that up when it was super cheap.
    Last edited by Forbiddenwar; 2014-01-04 at 11:37 AM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Anybody else having trouble logging onto steam the last 36 hours?

Edit: never mind. Moron trolls are DDOSing it down "Because somebody attacked Origin so they want to get even".

Troll logic is fun. Not.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2014-01-04 at 12:51 PM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't access the store but I've been able to log in and play games.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?

Steam Profile

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kris Strife View Post
    I'm in the same boat.
    We should see if others would be willing to form a regular gaming group so we can play through the game.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

So. Been spending with with Deus Ex: HR Director Cut recently.

It's pretty fun, though as someone noted earlier, the way the DLC was spliced into the game was pretty ham-handed, with the flashback sequence being replayed just minutes after you done the mission.

But still. A pretty fun game. I somehow managed to nail all but one of the social "boss" battle thing, only failing the one with Sarif.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

So I have decided to try Team Fortress 2. I'm a little worried about how it will run on my Laptop. Currently downloading it over several days, which might be another problem. Just wanted to ask if my computer shutting down in the middle of the download without using the pause button could ruin the download.
    DEGENERATION 86: Copy this into your sig and subtract 1 from the degeneration when you first see it. This is an antisocial experiment.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    So I have decided to try Team Fortress 2. I'm a little worried about how it will run on my Laptop. Currently downloading it over several days, which might be another problem. Just wanted to ask if my computer shutting down in the middle of the download without using the pause button could ruin the download.
    It shouldn't. Steams pretty good about pausing downloads if there's a sudden loss in connection, and my internet has tested that quite extensively.

And if you turn the settings down it should run fairly well. I can run it with 60fps on my comp no problem.

Steam Profile

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

I've also had internet connection issues and never had to re-download anything before.

Also, my 6 or so year old laptop runs TF2, so yours should be able to run it as well.

Public games are usually very fun.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

So I have decided to try Team Fortress 2. I'm a little worried about how it will run on my Laptop.
    We could say, something, maybe, if we knew anything about it

As for trying, just make sure you don't walk into some "we hate krits" tryhard server, that won't be fun. Stick to Valve and community ones for now, then as you get better try modded ones.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. Steam Sale ends, and only now do I get the 50 dollar steam gift card from my Christmas presents.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Huh. Steam Sale ends, and only now do I get the 50 dollar steam gift card from my Christmas presents.
    I recommend pre-ordering Metal Gear Rising while it's 20% off.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    I recommend pre-ordering Metal Gear Rising while it's 20% off.
    Not really interested in the series/gameplay that I've seen from others. Plus the name is ridiculous, and yet the game isn't mere comedy.
    Satomi by Elagune

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Not really interested in the series/gameplay that I've seen from others. Plus the name is ridiculous, and yet the game isn't mere comedy.
    It's a spin-off, much more hack-and-slash-y.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    It's a spin-off, much more hack-and-slash-y.
    I know, though I was slightly mistaken: I didn't realize this was the same game released last February, just that this was the PC release. So my opinion isn't based on the previous game, but this game for consoles.
    Satomi by Elagune

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp, my 360 controller's A button sticks way too much, and I have no way to clean it. That was a waste of money. That, and all the Steam games I can't play now.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Welp, my 360 controller's A button sticks way too much, and I have no way to clean it. That was a waste of money. That, and all the Steam games I can't play now.
    Why don't you have a way to clean it?

Two things you can try is taking it apart, or taking a slightly damp q-tip* and running it around the button a couple times and then pressing it repeatedly.

*An old toothbrush also works as the bristles can get deeper down.
    Last edited by Antonok; 2014-01-05 at 11:58 PM.

Steam Profile

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Two things you can try is taking it apart,
    I can't do that. Apparently, taking it apart requires 'special tools" and I have no tools.

or taking a slightly damp q-tip* and running it around the button a couple times and then pressing it repeatedly.

*An old toothbrush also works as the bristles can get deeper down.
    I already did that and it didn't work.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

I can't do that. Apparently, taking it apart requires 'special tools" and I have no tools.

I already did that and it didn't work.
    Hmm, try this then, hold the controller upside down while taking a sewing needle around the edge and pressing the button up and down then follow it up with a toothbrush.

Alternately if you're feeling brave, you can take a small piece of cotton dipped in rubbing alcohol using a needle (if you try this, make sure you keep the controller upside down so the alcohol drips out and not inside of it)
    Last edited by Antonok; 2014-01-06 at 12:15 AM.

Steam Profile

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, try this then, hold the controller upside down while taking a sewing needle around the edge and pressing the button up and down then follow it up with a toothbrush.
    Nope, don't have that either. I did try a mechanical pencil, but while it got in, it did not help.

Does Microsoft just make shoddy products? I've had a PS2 controller for years, and I've never had an issue with it. I've had this 360 controller for less than a month.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2014-01-06 at 12:26 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Nope, don't have that either. I did try a mechanical pencil, but while it got in, it did not help.

Does Microsoft just make shoddy products? I've had a PS2 controller for years, and I've never had an issue with it. I've had this 360 controller for less than a month.
    Mostly buttons sticking are due to sweat and dirt getting inside of them, or having something sticky on your fingers (like cheetos dust).

Xbox controllers also have deeper set buttons then ps2 controllers so there's more area for gunk to build up in, and it doesn't break up as easy by constant button pressing.

I'd say just try to find something harder to find then graphite to use. If you can't find anything and are at your last end on it, <<< Do this at your own risk>>> try taking a washcloth with some alcohol and run around the button letting the alch run into the controller.
    Last edited by Antonok; 2014-01-06 at 12:38 AM.

Steam Profile

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Dust: An Elysian Tale:So far this game is super fun. The story so far is pretty in-depth, and the dialogue is freaking hilarious. Fidget for character of the year. I have a couple complaints about it though. The walls you have to break with bombs gets really tedious, especially if it's a particularly far away wall, and you have to do it over and over. Just a boring and pointless mechanic to me. Also, it gets really hard at times to tell where you are what you're doing in particularly heavy combat situations. Oh, and the touchy movements get annoying. Trying to jump right as you land is impossible, and makes platform areas tough to maneuver.
    This game looks beautiful and is animated beautifully and that's about all I can say on it that's nice. It shows that it's been made by one guy in a lot of other ways. The story is pretty bland, the heroes not at all interesting nor is the story all that gripping enough to make me want to keep going. Blah racism blah moral dilemma blah sacrifice. If this game had come out ten years ago maybe the story wouldn't have been so bland but now? There are a lot of other games and movies that do it better and in a more adult way. The voice acting doesn't help anything either, being pretty poor through out. Which is to say nothing about the poor controls, repetitive gameplay and level design that is certainly designed to harken back to older games but pulls only the worst of nostalgia to the detriment of how far games have come. The boss fights are probably the only good parts of the game and that only goes until the end boss who is terrible. The entire last leg of the game is terrible really.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tebryn View Post
    This game looks beautiful and is animated beautifully and that's about all I can say on it that's nice. It shows that it's been made by one guy in a lot of other ways. The story is pretty bland, the heroes not at all interesting nor is the story all that gripping enough to make me want to keep going. Blah racism blah moral dilemma blah sacrifice. If this game had come out ten years ago maybe the story wouldn't have been so bland but now? There are a lot of other games and movies that do it better and in a more adult way. The voice acting doesn't help anything either, being pretty poor through out. Which is to say nothing about the poor controls, repetitive gameplay and level design that is certainly designed to harken back to older games but pulls only the worst of nostalgia to the detriment of how far games have come. The boss fights are probably the only good parts of the game and that only goes until the end boss who is terrible. The entire last leg of the game is terrible really.
    Jesus man, hatedom. The game's visually brilliant, and has an excellent OST to boot. While the constant game references might be a turn-off to some, there's a lot of charm to how they're incorporated (one healing item you can find is called a "wall chicken", and can only be found by breaking specific walls).

The story is extremely generic, about an amnesiac who does blah blah blah I'm bored now. The gameplay itself is sort of a merger of Metroidvania games and Devil May Cry, with ground and aerial combos involving very animesque battles where you can launch an enemy a dozen feet up, then hack at him a couple of times. It's not very repetitious, but the abilities you receive start off quick then become drip-fed over time. To say the least, the game is oddly paced. You'll find parts where you simply want to put the game down and think, "well it's starting to get pretty dull", then pick it back up and say, "now it's getting good again!"

I'm not a fan of the anthro characters (as in, at all), but I can understand why someone might decide to make a game like that. The game's humor adds to the charm, and the protagonist, despite everyone thinking he's brooding, is actually pretty entertaining.

The game is pretty good, but far from perfect. If you want a Metroidvania-type adventure to scratch that itch, this is definitely the game to get. However, we've seen it drop to prices below $5, so I'd say wait until that occurs once more.
    Steam username is Triscuitable.
    I got VAC banned in COD: Ghosts for using an FOV changer.
    I try not to think of how sad that is.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I've had my 360 controller for years and never had the slightest problem with it, so from this I deduce that Microsoft make brilliant products. See? Anecdotal reasoning works both ways...