New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: DrK's Gestalt Game IC

Moving forward with the party, Amy sticks close to Baervard. Under the cover of the singing, she asks in a low voice

I apologise if the question seems crass, but what happened to your friend? What danger managed to end his life?

2. - Top - End - #362
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Baervard

"That." Baervard grunts and points to the carcass of the enormous worm. <And he wasn't a friend.> He says in elven. <He was a loyal battle companion, of that I can say true.>He says and then strokes his beard. <And if he were still here I would stand by his side, but I knew him only briefly.>

<I do not mean to speak unkind towards him...> He says and shrugs his shoulders. <But surely you realize what bonds are forged through friendship as one who speaks to a Ruathar. Given freely to an outsider who clearly deals in hungry powers beyond his control? I have and will pray to the All-Father for protection of his soul; he did not falter in battle and died a warriors death, but he was no friend.>

Baervard nods to her and readies his warhammer in both hands, his heavy boots loud on the cavern floor while his shield floats to his side.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2014-05-16 at 05:00 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

3. - Top - End - #363

Flumph

Amy pauses briefly to regard the colossal worm in horror, before catching up again.

<Aye, I understand the difference between the trust of a companion and true friendship. Trust is no help when your duty is done but a sour taste is left in the mouth. At that point one needs a friend to help them through. I hope I can earn both from your group.

You say your companion dealt with outsiders? He consorted with demons and devils? I'd be surprised to hear that sat well with Alyssa.>

4. - Top - End - #364
    Titan in the Playground

Leaving the room full of corpses where you had had such a fierce fight you move into the barrel vaulted chamber. Long shadows of the party cast across the floor, particularly that of Jeb as he transforms into a massive hulking war troll.

Perfectly preserved corpses cover most of the chamber's floor arrayed head to to in neat rows. Thick dust coats the walls and floors, signs of the room great age yet no trace of decay touches the corpses themselves. Around the room's edges great green stone blocks covered in runes of preservation and depictions of undead felling mortal cities complete the silent mausoleum. The adjacent room seems similar although two of the green blocks are cracked and the floor of the room is covered by the remains of skeletons. each one surrounded by a halo of rot and decay staining the ornate floors with almost no trace left of the bodies that had been interred millenia ago...

To the south however, in the hints of light cast by Alyssa's cloak the room looks very different. The same marble walls and green stones surround it but nests of tattered books and refuse lie scattered across the floor surrounding curved troughs, each big enough to accommodate a worm the size of a small horse. There is disconcerting symmetry about the location of these troughs in the room. A marker of a strange alien will making itself at home amid the refuse of Kyuss's arrogance and power...

Even as you stand amidst the decayed bodies in the chamber of sleeping corpses you can see a whispering of serpentine movement in the shadows... A faint voice echoes from down the corridor, a rough wet spluttering to it as you get the impression the creature has not common for many centuries... "Brave ones. The ziggurat quakes in your heroic advance. I would not stand in your way. Aid me in leaving this place and I will give you the secrets to destroying it..." Staring down towards the strange room you can't see the source of voice...

Spoiler: Summary
    Show

You arrive in room 6
    Room 8 has the preserved bodies
    Room 9 has the decayed bodies where the preservation spell has failed
    As you stand in room 9 the edge of Alyssa's celestial brilliance can illuminate room 10 with shadowy light

You cannot see anyone/anything but the voice is coming from that room

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb sense something ahead, years of hunting the unclean have shown him their movements, the paths they take. Unable to understand the conversations in elvish, Jeb had allowed them their privacy, but now he spoke up quickly shooting them a glance at those who continue to chatter. "Ignore the voice, it surely speaks lies. Four ahead, unclean ones though not undead. Prepare yourselves for more evil, as if that needs to be said..."

He clicks his trollish claws, and his wolf bears its teeth. The two creatures made a strange pair, beasts who illuminate the darkness ahead with their radiant goodness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sheet armor breakdown & status effects & spell buffs & tiger updates from buffs in the sheet too.
    No longer have time to participate in games. I apologize.

6. - Top - End - #366

Flumph

Amy nods an apology to Jeb and replies softly in common.

What do you think? They sound aquatic. Outsider? Aberration?

She pauses; thinking.

Oh no...

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Aberration," the druid mutters solemnly. "Other than that, I'm not sure...I just sense them ahead. I have no idea what other manner of beast would lie in this temple lest they be more nagas. I am prepared for more battle, as I hope you all are..."

Spoiler
    Show
    The naga are aberrations, right?

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nan

Continuing to stand on guard against whatever awaited down at the end of the hall, Nan raises an eyebrow at the trailing off comment by Amy. She pauses, waiting for clarification of their suspicions.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #369

Flumph

Amy thinks for a moment before shaking her head again.

Sorry. I was thinking through the various aquatic aberrations I read about when studying. There are too many and the details are hazy. Let us hope Jeb is right and what awaits us are more of those strange Naga. She doesn't sound entirely convinced. Just ... guard your minds.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Titan in the Playground

From within the nesting chamber of sorts the party can hear the sounds of magic being cast. The languages spoken ancient and terrible. Seeing the strange troughs Pergrim realises that this chamber must be home to some of the foul worm nagas that you encountered upstairs...

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show

Amy, Alyssa and Baevard can recognise the familiar cadences of the spells being cast...

Naga Boss Spell Resistance
    Naga 1 Shield of Faith
    Naga 2 Invisibility
    Naga 3 Shield

Spoiler: init
    Show

Team worm naga (1d20+7)[23] -- my spells have been cast. "Go team"
    Jeb (1d20+3)[20] (tiger goes with you)
    Nan (1d20+1)[14]
    Baevard (1d20+2)[12]
    Alyssa (1d20+5)[10]
    Amy (1d20+3)[19]
    Pergrim (1d20+1)[15]

I'll put a map up when you see bad guys
    At the moment assume you are at least 60ft from the door to room 10
    Last edited by DrK; 2014-05-19 at 03:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #371

Chimera

"More Naga, I'd say. The stones know how they lived this long. You'll want to watch their eyes …" Pergrim calls to Amy, then thinks better of it.

"Well, no, not watch them, that's the last thing you'd want, actually. Their gaze knocked Alyssa here silly. A dose of caution, and a dust cloud helped last time."
    Last edited by infomatic; 2014-05-19 at 04:30 PM.

12. - Top - End - #372

Flumph

Amy closes her eyes and focuses on the chanting.

Two with magical protection. One who will resist spells. And watch out - there will be an invisible foe. I'll try to tell you where that one is.

She looks around the rest of the party, seeing their preparations and trying to work out what the strategy will be.

In? Or wait for them to come out?

Spoiler
    Show

Who is likely to be first through the door?

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyssa

The shining champion of Raziel had spoken little to the others. She did not fully trust the newcomer, but given the loss of Grillin, perhaps it was nature's way of filling a void ... or fortune's efforts to add thier journey. There was something odd about the woman, but it was not nearly as distasteful as the gnome, so for now she would be welcomed as an ally. When the discussion of how such a place could exist for so long, she simply snorted. "The magiks that live here in the dark are not easily dismissed by any but the most powerful. When have you last seen a group such as this, champions such as we are? Few could wander unmolested through the dark ruins of Kuluth Mar. We have barely survived the ills this place would visit upon us.

Nay, the city remains hidden and lost to many an eye that would seek to cleanse these black halls ... or plunder them. And the few who might have ventured into this place are most likely not among the living. This is truly a place where even angels fear to tread ..."
    She traile off, staring off into the distance as she recalled the corrupted archons they had been forced to lay low.

----------------------------------------------------------
    As the group entered the temple and returned to the rooms below, the pyromancer listened to the others chat, their tongue suddenly switching to the tongue of the elves. She snorted at Amy's question, finally speaking again, albeit softly and in common. "His perpsective of the use of power did not sit well with Alyssa ... but he never evinced any signs of corruption or evil in our midst ... else one of us would have quickly ended his consorting. He viewed power as a means to an end ... and could not see that it only marked the end.

When you wish to converse further, please choose a language that everyone speaks."

Upon approaching the further rooms, Alyssa quickly cast a protective ward upon herself, before following quietly. She was going to send forth her small eyes when Jeb looked back and whispered a warning - a warning that was quickly confirmed by the sounds of spell casting coming from within the far rooms. "Snakes again! Ware their ability to affect your mind! They also deal in conjurations, both of evil champions and foul balls of dark fire!

I suggest we treat them to a few surprises of our own ... do you still have a wall of stone?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Going to send the eyes back out to the main room to keep an eye on our 'rear.' I suggest we do something particularly nasty, like an empowered lingering flames with a wall to prevent any escape ... or an acid fog to slow their departure. Let's give them a little present or two before they come running out!

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 84/84 (22 temp); AC: 17 (19 vs evil); F +8 / R +12 / W +14 (+2 vs evil)
    Turn undead 6/6; Smite spell 3/3

Active effects
    celestial brilliance (18 days)
    greater mage armor (10 hrs)
    heart of earth (10 hrs)
    prying eyes (10 hrs)
    protection from evil (10 min)
    Spoiler: Divine Spells (CL 11)
    Show
    0 (6): detect magic, detect magic, light, light, amanuensis, message
    1 (7+1): protection from evil, protection from evil, shield of faith, shield of faith, divine favor, lesser vigor, lesser vigor, burning hands
    2 (6+1): resist energy, resist energy, consecrate, lesser restoration, lesser restoration, remove paralysis, detect thoughts
    3 (5+1): dispel magic, dispel magic, remove curse, mass resist energy, wind wall, searing light
    4 (4+1): restoration, spell immunity, death ward, undead weapon bane, holy smite
    5 (3+1): disrupting weapon, flame strike, wall of magma, true seeing
    6 (2+1): heal, undeath to death, bolt of glory

Spoiler: Arcane Spells (CL 11)
    Show
    0 (4+1): caltrops, silent portal, silent portal, prestidigitation, acid splash
    1 (6+1): lesser orb of fire, lesser orb of fire, true casting, true casting, shield, shield, mage armor
    2 (6+1): alter self, scorching ray, scorching ray, seeking ray, seeking ray, levitate, web
    3 (5+1): fireball, fireball, greater disrupt undead, greater disrupt undead, greater mage armor, stinking cloud
    4 (4+1): resilient sphere, assay spell resistance, orb of fire, heart of earth, summon monster IV
    5 (3+1): prying eyes, firebrand, empowered fireball, wall of stone
    6 (2+1): empowered firebrand, lingering flames, acid fog
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

14. - Top - End - #374

Baervard

Baervard nods in agreement with Alyssa...for the most part. "When my sister speaks to me, I answer in her tongue." He says in common, though without malice. "I am bonded to the fey by blood." He says simply and drops it.

"Though corrupt, they may speak the truth out of fear if they know what we've done to their brothers." Baervard says softly and then bends down to touch the stone. "Stone beneath..." He says and then raises his hand towards the ceiling. "Stone above..." He continues and then touches his heart. "No enemies axe can break you, nor us."

As he recites the old dwarven battle prayer flecks of stone lift off the ground and walls and float upon him and his comrades like stardust. He looks to Pergrimm and nods, then turns to Amy and says "You have my back." It's a statement, not a question. He then strides towards the dark room. "If you truly ask for parley..." He bellows, his voice booming off the walls. "It will be offered. If you speak falsely you will find your end at the bottom of my hammer."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casts Recitation, then move towards the door.

Sense Motive on the Naga's. What's his gut tell him? (1d20+6)[10]

Recitation (all except baervard): +2 luck bonus to Armor Class, Attack Rolls, and Saving Throws for 10 rounds. If you worship Moradin it's +3.

Status
    HP 136/136
    AC 29
    F/R/W 15/8/11 (base) 17/10/13 (with buffs)

Current Effects: Inspire Courage +3, Recitation (10 round tracker, spell doesn't affect him), Mass Conviction (100 minutes)
    Last edited by Chambers; 2014-05-19 at 06:18 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

15. - Top - End - #375

Flumph

Amy blinks and glances at Alyssa, whispering

Well, I'm surprised.

before following the dwarf, careful to keep well back and watchful for further spell casting.

Spoiler
    Show

If this turns into a fight, Amy will immediately shout to the others to tell them where the invisible Naga is - assume she's seen it by that point, obviously.

16. - Top - End - #376

Chimera

"May our trials temper our souls," Pergrim replies to the blessing, his voice quiet, and follows Baevard, a step behind and to one side, ready to charge ahead and batter the door down if needed.

Spoiler: status
    Show

Greater Magic Weapon +2
    Recitation (+3 luck AC/Atk/Saves, round 1/10)
    Inspire courage +3

HP 126/104 (22 temp)
    AC 28
    Vs. Ranged: 30
    Vs. Touch: 19
    Vs. Incorp Touch: 24
    Vs. Ranged Touch: 21 (22 vs. spells)
    Vs. Traps: 30

Soulmelds

Feet: Impulse Boots (bound) Uncanny Dodge, Evasion [3E]
    Head: Crystal Helm [3E]
    Waist: Vitality Belt (Bound); +11hp/ess, imm to Con dmg/Drain [2E]
    Arms: Lifebond Vestments (bound), healing at range
    Soul: Incarnate Avatar
    Neck: Planar Ward
    Hands: Mauling Gauntlets

Armor: 2E
    Shield: 3E

Upshot: Adding the lifebond vestments for pinch-hit healing. Airstep sandals no longer bound to chakra, so flying is limited to one-round bursts; no more hovering.
    Last edited by infomatic; 2014-05-19 at 09:24 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"And may our hearts remain pure as we fell the minions of darkness and deliver souls into salvation in the years to come," Jeb finishes what he assumes was a prayer. Strange to see a troll reciting such a litany in such a place, but stranger things have happened. "I will defer to your judgment. I can approach and open the door for our assault or wait for them to attack." Jeb creeps closer to the door as if to open it as he readies a spell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jeb will ready an action to cast spirit jaws if anything bursts out at him. He and the tiger will approach the door, move speed is 40 ft.

Sheet is missing the +2 luck bonus to AC/Atk/saves and the +3 inspire courage.
    Last edited by Mishkov; 2014-05-20 at 08:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    "If you truly ask for parley..." He bellows, his voice booming off the walls. "It will be offered. If you speak falsely you will find your end at the bottom of my hammer."
    Alyssa blinked, her hands already raised to cast her spells, then she hissed at Baervard. "Who said we were offering parley? We seek no deals or bargains with these foul worshippers of a false god! Down that path lies despair ..."

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

The party prepare for battle! The two heavily armoured dwarves rumbling forwards, Baevard beginning to chant a heavy tone that infuses you all with the spiritual stubborness of dwarven blood. Alyssa and Amy move more cautiously keeping an eye out for the vile aberrant creatures while beside them the hulking war troll lurches forward, the massive sabre tooth glowing with imbued spells stalking along beside its master as he readies a powerful magical assault.

The Nagas respond in kind! One of the vile creatures slithering forward rapidly, unseen by all save Amy who's witch sight can see through the creatures sphere of invisibility, the aberrations presence clouding and damaging her poor mind. The other 3 creatures, 2 normal and vile as the others, 1 a terrifying creature bedecked in shimmering amulets and rings on its tails and frills...

Spoiler: picture
    Show

The first one at the back is the first to appear in the flesh so to speak, even as fire begins to flare around its tail and face the massive ghostly spirit jaws leap from Jabe's troll like grip and hurtle towards the Naga! Spirit jaws and Naga battling as the incorporeal jaws seek to chew and maul the helpless Naga, sadly for Jeb the spiritual jaws miss the massive green creature and it cackles as it releases the flames towards the party!

Spoiler: Readied action
    Show

Assuming the Naga appearing at the back of the room triggers Jeb's readied action?
    - Spirit jaws attack (1d20+22)[26] (12 base, 5 wis, 2 recitate, 3 inspire) Damage (2d6)[12] and
    - grapple (1d20+21)[32] VS (1d20+17)[30]
    --- If hit concentration (1d20+21)[32] VS 10+damage
    --- If grappled.... cry a little bit

-- If not hit or not grappled then Corrupt fireball on Jeb's trollish head
    Jeb, Tiger, Baevard, Pergrim (10d6)[33] REF DC 19 for half, half is fire and half is "EVIL"

The other greenish worm like Naga slithers out in a slow and nasty fashion, hovering near the roof of the 15ft vault ceilings, this one's corrupted fireball streaking over Jeb's head to slam into the cluster of women at the back of the advancing heroes. Black fire crackling and flowing around Nan, Alyssa and Amy before washing back to bathe the dwarves and the Tiger in more dark flames...

Spoiler: FIRE!
    Show

Corrupted fireball hits Nan, Alyssa, Amy, Tiger and dwarf twins (10d6)[30] Ref DC19 for half, half is fire, half is EVIL

The invisible one appears suddenly in front of the troll, a hiss and a snarl as it lashes out with black energy crackling around it teeth. Making no effort to be friendly and approachable the black energy seeks to suck the soul from the massive war troll. Behind them the bedecked and powerful looking naga arcanist summons potent magical energies and hurtles them forward, the ray of blackness striking the troll as Jeb's blood and organs rupture and spill from the cracks in his thick troll like hide

Spoiler: all kinds of badness!
    Show

Invisble one appears in front of Jeb
    Touch (1d20+12)[24] Slay living DC 21 Fort, DEAD or (3d6+10)[17] -ve energy

Boss Naga casts Avasculate
    Ranged touch (1d20+16)[32] - 50% of Jeb's hitpoints leak from his body. Fort DC26 or stunned

Last edited by DrK; 2014-05-20 at 03:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380

Baervard

"Jeb!" Baervard shouts as the corrupted fire washes over everyone and necrotic energies suck the life out of Jeb. Baervard dashes forward and takes a hand off his warhammer to reach out and touch the troll. "We're boxed in, need better positioning. Try and fall back to the other room."

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving to S5 and burning Death Ward for Cure Critical Wounds (4d8+10)[30].

Status
    HP 104/136
    AC 29
    F/R/W 15/8/11 (base) 17/10/13 (with buffs)

Current Effects: Inspire Courage +3, Recitation (9 round tracker, spell doesn't affect him), Mass Conviction (100 minutes)

21. - Top - End - #381

Flumph

Hearing the call to fall back, Amy calls upon the raw power within her and casts it at the feet of the Naga leader. Frost-rimmed thick black tentacles erupt from the ground, reaching out to grab the snakes and batter them against the walls and floor. As chaos ensures, she calls out

I've bought you some time. How is Jeb?

and moves back to give room for the others to withdraw.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Chilling Tentacles at square AA6.

It wont catch the flying Naga, but if he has to descend to come through the door it'll grab him (unless the doors / entrances are the full height of the room?).

Grapple vs Leader: (1d20+20)[30]
    Cold damage vs Leader: (2d6)[11]

Grapple vs Naga in room: (1d20+20)[25]
    Cold damage vs Naga in room: (2d6)[7]

Grapple vs Naga fighting Jeb: (1d20+20)[31]
    Cold damage vs Naga fighting Jeb: (2d6)[6]

and if he comes down low enough to be grabbed:
    Grapple vs flying Naga: (1d20+20)[28]
    Cold damage vs flying Naga: (2d6)[3]

No save against any of this (other than the opposed grapple, obviously). Cold damage is taken just for being in the area, regardless of grapple check. Anyone that escapes grappling moves at half speed in the spell area.
    Last edited by Tombs; 2014-05-21 at 12:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyssa

With the explosion of magical violence from the room, Alyssa resolved to have a discussion with the dwarves about surrendering the initiative. For now, it was time to show these snakes who they were dealing with. She watched as Jeb was hit by a number of nasty attacks, sighing to herself in relief as Baervard rushed forward to heal the huge troll. At the call to retreat, she started to call upon her own arcane magiks. However, when she heard the spell Amy was casting, a nasty grin lit her face. Changing her words, she altered the motions of her hands, reaching down into her pouch and blowing forth a small pinch of fine powder. "Parley with this, villains ..." Amidst the icy tentacles, a fog began to rise from the floor. As it spread, it began to boil and roll, and the hisses of pain would begin soon ...

If the group wanted time, the two spells should give them more than enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Acid Fog at Z6 (no save, no SR). Covers 20ft (including upwards), and should reach all four from where Alyssa drops it. Fog does all the following:
    - Blocks all sight (including darkvision)
    - Provides 20% concealment to creatures w/in 5 ft, total concealment (50%) further away
    - Slows movement to 5ft (creatures cannot take a 5ft step)
    - Prevents ranged weapons (except rays and spells)
    - Reduces melee attacks and damage by -2
    - Deals acid damage each turn

Naga 1 - (2d6)[6], Naga 2 - (2d6)[7], Naga 3 - (2d6)[8], Naga Boss - (2d6)[8]

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 69/84 (22 temp); AC: 19 (21 vs evil); F +10 / R +14 / W +16 (+2 vs evil)
    Turn undead 6/6; Smite spell 3/3

Active effects
    celestial brilliance (18 days)
    greater mage armor (10 hrs)
    heart of earth (10 hrs)
    prying eyes (10 hrs)
    protection from evil (10 min)
    Recitation (9 rnds) +2 luck to AC, saves, attack rolls
    Inspire courage (TBD) +3 saves vs fear/charm, +3 att/dam
    Acid Fog (10/11 rnds)
    Spoiler: Divine Spells (CL 11)
    Show
    0 (6): detect magic, detect magic, light, light, amanuensis, message
    1 (7+1): protection from evil, protection from evil, shield of faith, shield of faith, divine favor, lesser vigor, lesser vigor, burning hands
    2 (6+1): resist energy, resist energy, consecrate, lesser restoration, lesser restoration, remove paralysis, detect thoughts
    3 (5+1): dispel magic, dispel magic, remove curse, mass resist energy, wind wall, searing light
    4 (4+1): restoration, spell immunity, death ward, undead weapon bane, holy smite
    5 (3+1): disrupting weapon, flame strike, wall of magma, true seeing
    6 (2+1): heal, undeath to death, bolt of glory

Spoiler: Arcane Spells (CL 11)
    Show
    0 (4+1): caltrops, silent portal, silent portal, prestidigitation, acid splash
    1 (6+1): lesser orb of fire, lesser orb of fire, true casting, true casting, shield, shield, mage armor
    2 (6+1): alter self, scorching ray, scorching ray, seeking ray, seeking ray, levitate, web
    3 (5+1): fireball, fireball, greater disrupt undead, greater disrupt undead, greater mage armor, stinking cloud
    4 (4+1): resilient sphere, assay spell resistance, orb of fire, heart of earth, summon monster IV
    5 (3+1): prying eyes, firebrand, empowered fireball, wall of stone
    6 (2+1): empowered firebrand, lingering flames, acid fog

23. - Top - End - #383

Chimera

Pergrim startles at the explosion of blood and viscera from the troll form — he hadn't seen that before. But Baevard is there quickly, and he begins backing away at the priest's call.

He can't help a small grin as he sees the ebony tendrils snake up from the floor to entwine the attackers. Fight snakes with snakes, he thinks. And a bit of this.

He reaches inside his cloak, plucking a flask as he moves, and flings it at the frontmost naga as it wrestles with the conjured tentacles — but the dozens of waving arms botches his aim, and the flask smashes uselessly against the wall.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Move to O-5, draw acidic fire flask

Touch attack on Jeb-attacker, (1d20+19)[20]touch, for (1d4+3)[4] acidfire damage and (2d6)[5] sneak attack.

Spoiler: status
    Show
    Greater Magic Weapon +2
    Recitation (+3 luck AC/Atk/Saves, round 2/10)
    Inspire courage +3

HP 126/104 (22 temp)
    AC 28
    Vs. Ranged: 30
    Vs. Touch: 19
    Vs. Incorp Touch: 24
    Vs. Ranged Touch: 21 (22 vs. spells)
    Vs. Traps: 30

Soulmelds

Waist: Vitality Belt (Bound); +11hp/ess, imm to Con dmg/Drain [2E]
    Hands: Mauling Gauntlets

Armor: 2E
    Last edited by infomatic; 2014-05-21 at 08:48 PM.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb snarls in response, annoyed at needing to back up against a foe, but tactically it was probably the right move. There were others smarter than he. He had taken a beating, but Baervard, as always, healed some of his wounds. The trollish form was already regenerating from the sting of the fires as well.

He retreats back seeing tentacles and fog erupt in the room. The magic users were doing their best to contain the problem. His spirit jaws continue to nip at the naga as he whispers a healing prayer. "I can become smaller too if need be!" he yells out, acknowledging that he is taking up most of the space.

Spoiler
    Show
    Moving back into the group as his tiger will too. Casting cure light wounds, mass, converting a bite spell, for (1d8+12)[18]

Spirit jaws:

(1d20+22)[37] to hit Damage (2d6)[5]
    Grapple (1d20+21)[33] this is the figure you used. The text states that the grapple is equal to the attack bonus plus 4. I'm not sure if that trumps the typical grapple rules in which the other bonuses the jaws are getting are not equal. If so, add 5 onto this figure.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nan

The shieldmaiden's keening trails off as they confront the naga. Perhaps she is shocked by the suddenness and efficacy of the violence. Perhaps she simply is shifting to a more active stance.

When it becomes clear that the group needs to back up, Nan murmurs a quick incantation to help with that, and then steps back to give the others a chance to get clear. She holds her spear low, folding into a crouch. Nan waits for Jeb to step back, confirming that he is alive first. She is preparing to spring forward again in a charge. The multiple images of Nan flicker in and out of each other, a silent precursor of swift movement to come.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Standard action to cast Haste on the group.
    Move action to step back (north) 10', to give the others room to get back and out.

Also, just a gentle reminder that Nan also has See Invisibility active.

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Nan Aelbiorn
    Female CG Human Bb6/ChampGwyn6/Bard12, Level 12, Init +1, HP 124/112, DR 4/-, Speed 40'
    AC 27, Touch 12, Flat-footed 26, Fort +16, Ref +15, Will +15, Base Attack Bonus 12/7/2
    Reach, Gr Fiendslayer Crystal +3 Longspear (Wand Chamber) +21/+16/+11 (1d8+12, x3)
    +5 Str Adjustment Composite Longbow (40) +13/8/2 (1d8+5, x3)
    Spiked Gauntlet +18/13/8 (1d4+3, x2)
    +1 Mithril Chain Shirt, Animated +1 Heavy Steel Shield (+6 Armor, +3 Shield, +1 Dex, +6 Natural, +1 Misc)
    Abilities Str 23, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 12, Cha 18
    Condition Endure Elements (from wand)
    Alter Self (into troglodyte - +6 Nat Armour, Claws & Bite, Multiattack feat.)
    See Invisibility
    Resist Energy (Fire) 10
    Mirror Image - 7 duplicates
    Inspire Courage +3
    Haste

Last edited by Toliudar; 2014-05-22 at 03:28 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

A vile green fog begins to roll up from the as Alyssa summons powerful magics. Even as she does that writhing tentacles crackling with ice leap up seeking to strangle and entangle the worm like nagas. All of the naga's howling with rage at the assault upon them.

Baevard reaches Jeb healing some his wounds as the hulking troll backs up, Naga snapping at his retreating back, before Jeb also releases a cool burst of green power healing up the burns from the paired fireballs and powerful death magics.

As the party retreats Pergrim fumbles slightly with the flask of potent acidic fire and Nan sends out more augmentive magic as the world seems to flow as you all quicken with the valkyrie's magics.

Spoiler: AoO
    Show

Bite Jeb (1d20+13)[18] needing 20 i think!
    - damage (2d6+7)[16] and you are immune to poison

The naga at the back feels doomed! A spiritual pair of jaws clamping around its throat as it battles the freezing tentacles at the same time. Sadly the spirit jaws hold firm shaking the beast by the throat as more tentacles draw near in the cloying fog.

Spoiler: Naga3
    Show

Grapple Vs spirit Jaws (1d20+17)[19] Vs (1d20+21)[26]
    If it wins it will 5ft forward*

The Naga by the door also hisses it displeasure but slithers 5ft forward getting mostly out of the fog even as the grasping tentacles try and drag it back in. Hissing unhappily it spies Baevard still exposed and lashes out with a wave of black energy seeking to suck the life out of his stout dwarven body leaving him weakened and vulnerable. The ray streaks forward only to be turned aside at the last moment in a flare of incarnate light.

Spoiler: Naga 1
    Show

move 5ft forward (tail still in cloud)
    Enervate Vs Baevard (1d20+8)[12] touch
    - (1d4)[4] negative levels

The boss naga hisses in displeasure. A voice echoing "You could have escaped with your lives. Now you shall feed me and my brood. Your magics trinkets for me to play with". Writhing around withing the fog. Seconds later the magnificent looking creature appears within your midst in the corner of the room of decayed corpses. Readying potent magics it looks around hissing, the combination of beauty and horror attacking all of your minds! Before rays of fire shoot from its eyes, all the rays striking true searing the female party members. The strange creature still glowing with the multiple enchantments surrounding it

Spoiler: Naga boss
    Show

Dimension door into Room 9
    FEEBLEMIND GAZE! DC 24 in the room*
    (so far you've saved against Naga 1)
    Quickened Scorching Ray
    Ray Vs: Alyssa (1d20+12)[25] dam (4d6)[18]
    Ray Vs: Amy (1d20+12)[20] dam (4d6)[13]
    Ray Vs: Nan (1d20+12)[25] dam (4d6)[17]*
    ---(1d8)[1] on a 1 hits the real Nan (Or did the fireball melt the mirror images?)

The Naga near the ceiling hisses in anger, the tentacles stretching for it stopping it swooping through the door, as is the choking cloying corrosive fog. Hissing it merely reaches out seeking to suck the magic from the room to dispel the nearby effects. Frustrated all it does is remove its own protections and that of its two friends! The foolish creature dripping down from the ceiling into the mass of frozen tentacles
    Spoiler: Naga2
    Show

Area dispel (Im right in remembering its DC11+CL for dispel effects?)
    Vs himself (1d20+10)[28] *Target 21 bye bye airwalj
    Vs Naga 1 (1d20+10)[25] * Target 21 bye bye shield
    Vs Naga 3 (1d20+10)[20] Target 21 bye bye shield

Vs Tentacles (1d20+10)[18] Target ? ~23?
    Vs Acid fog (1d20+10)[22] Target ~ 22? Does the fog go?

Spoiler: HP tracker
    Show

Naga 1 * 12
    Naga 2 *14
    Naga 3 * 13
    Boss Naga 19

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by DrK; 2014-05-23 at 12:35 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387

Flumph

The Naga leader appears in all its beauty. All Amy can do it stare at the lovely colours. It looks so fabulous, so unlike the rigid discipline of her normal life. Then the pretty thing starts spitting fire. Why does the pretty burn so much? Why must it hurt? She lets out a wail and runs into a corner, curling into a ball and wrapping her arms around her head crying at the meanness of it all.

Spoiler
    Show

Will edit this post in the (unlikely) event this doesn't happen.

Meanwhile, back when I was a vaguely useful member of the party...

Naga 3:
    Cold damage: (2d6)[11]
    Grapple: (1d20+20)[24]
    If wins the grapple the tentacle beats snake off the floor and walls for (1d6+4)[7] bludgeoning damage.

Naga 2 now he's dropped into range:
    Cold damage: (2d6)[8]
    Grapple: (1d20+20)[26]

Rounds of tentacles: 2/12

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Nan

Staring at the terrible naga, a fog seems to descend on Nan, even as a blast of flame strikes the real her in amidst various copies. All subtleties vanished, replaced by the simplicity of the spear in her hand, the great snake staring at her. Gripping the spear tightly, she stabbed furiously at the beast, a harsh scream of inchoate rage filling the room.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Free action to activate Rage. All enemies within 30' beat a (1d20+16)[31] intimidate check or are shaken.

5' step as needed to reach the boss naga.

Full attack action, with 2 points of power attack:
    Haste attack: (1d20+20)[38] Damage: (1d8+16)[24] Bonus dmg if evil outsider: (1d6)[2]
    Whirling Frenzy extra attack: (1d20+20)[34] Damage: (1d8+16)[17] Bonus dmg if evil outsider (1d6)[6]
    1st iterative: (1d20+20)[39] Damage: (1d8+16)[23] Bonus dmg if evil outsider (1d6)[6]
    2nd iterative: (1d20+15)[31] Damage: (1d8+16)[19] Bonus dmg if evil outsider (1d6)[6]
    3rd iterative: (1d20+10)[29] Damage: (1d8+16)[19] Bonus dmg if evil outsider (1d6)[3]

Edit: Damage rolls should all be three higher, as I forget my own bloody Inspire Courage!

Spoiler: Statblock
    Show
    Nan Aelbiorn
    Female CG Human Bb6/ChampGwyn6/Bard12, Level 12, Init +1, HP 117/112, DR 4/-, Speed 40'
    AC 29, Touch 14, Flat-footed 28, Fort +16, Ref +17, Will +15, Base Attack Bonus 12/7/2
    Reach, Gr Fiendslayer Crystal +3 Longspear (Wand Chamber) +21/+16/+11 (1d8+12, x3)
    +5 Str Adjustment Composite Longbow (40) +13/8/2 (1d8+5, x3)
    Spiked Gauntlet +18/13/8 (1d4+3, x2)
    +1 Mithril Chain Shirt, Animated +1 Heavy Steel Shield (+6 Armor, +3 Shield, +1 Dex, +6 Natural, +3 Misc)
    Abilities Str 27, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 3
    Condition Endure Elements (from wand)
    Alter Self (into troglodyte - +6 Nat Armour, Claws & Bite, Multiattack feat.)
    See Invisibility
    Resist Energy (Fire) 10
    Mirror Image - 7 duplicates
    Inspire Courage +3
    Haste
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2014-05-25 at 11:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389

Baervard

Baervard stares down the Naga as it slithers forward and stands fast as the beam of unholy energy flies right at him, only to be turned aside by the floating motes of stone. That was close. "Where'd it go?" he shouts as the Naga leader disappears only to answered moments later by rays of fire that lance out from far behind him. "I'll take this one!"

He chokes up his grip on his warhammer and hefts it high and shuffles forward before throwing his weight behind the hammer into the Naga in front of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    5ft step to reach Naga 1. It took a 5ft step toward him last turn so there's only a 5ft gap between him and it (which he can clear).

Full Attack, Power Attack for -4. Normal attack bonus is +21. +1 from Haste, +3 from Inspire Courage.

Haste Attack (1d20+21)[31]
    Damage (1d8+28)[29]

Attack (1d20+21)[30]
    Damage (1d8+28)[36]

Attack (1d20+16)[19]
    Damage (1d8+28)[32]

Attack (1d20+11)[22]
    Damage (1d8+28)[33]

Status
    HP 125/136
    AC 29 (+1 from Haste, 30)
    F/R/W 15/8/11 (base) 17/11/17 (with buffs)

Current Effects: Combat Focus (Fast Heal 4, +4 Will, +8 vs Forced Move), Haste, Inspire Courage +3, Recitation (8 round tracker, spell doesn't affect him), Mass Conviction (100 minutes)
    Last edited by Chambers; 2014-05-25 at 09:20 AM.

30. - Top - End - #390

Chimera

Pergrim feels a moment of confusion as the Naga leader appears in their midst, and throws up a hand in front of his face as he pelts down the corridor again, charging at the Naga emerging from the tentacles. The fewer of these things the group had to deal with at once, the better.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Charge south to Naga

(1d20+19)[26] Bull Rush

If successful will try to crush Naga against wall using directed bull rush/dungeoncrasher, if doing so also thrusts it back into fog/tentacles
    (6d8+12)[30]

Grapple check if needed for tentacles (1d20+24)[26]

Greater Magic Weapon +2
    Recitation (+3 luck AC/Atk/Saves, round 2/10)
    Inspire courage +3

HP 104/104 (22 temp)
    AC 26 +3 recitation = 29
    Vs. Ranged: 28 +3 recitation = 31
    Vs. Touch: 19 +3 recitation = 22
    Vs. Incorp Touch: 24 +3 recitation = 27
    Vs. Ranged Touch: 21 (22 vs. spells) +3 recitation = 24/26
    Vs. Traps: 28 +3 recitation = 31

Soulmelds

Waist: Vitality Belt (Bound); +11hp/ess, imm to Con dmg/Drain [0E]
    Hands: Mauling Gauntlets [4E]

Armor: 0E
    Last edited by infomatic; 2014-05-26 at 09:49 AM.