New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: DrK's Gestalt Game IC

Alyssa waited for one of the others to pay for the wine, knowing full well this meeting was all about appearances. Once before Loratio, she scoffed at his suggestion that they might not be worthy of attending this gala. Stepping forward and straightening out, she spoke softly, forcing any listening to lean forward and concentrate, least they miss something of import.

"We have proven ourselves time and time again, least we would not be alive today. Master Crafters Baervard and Pergrim were renowned for their accomplishments in the forge long before they took up blade and hammer. Amy of the Almond Eyes possesses knowledge of secrets lost to short-lived mortals of this world. Jeb has wandered the world, seeking worthy challenges, but thus far undefeated.And I, Alyssa, could burn this entire city to the ground.

You seek tales of mighty deeds? We have crushed the Four Lost Generals, destroying Nezzarin and his brothers without mercy or quarter. I, myself burned Nezzarin where he stood, leaving nothing but ash. Baervard, Naga-slayer, waded through a nest of the nasty snake-things, emerging only when he was bathed in the blood of his enemies. Pegrim and Jeb each defeated an archon in mortal combat, wiping them from their worthless existence. We cast down a former servant of Pelor, a weak-willed ghaele who's magics and mysticism were not enough to protect him from our white-hot fury."

She paused for a moment, not speaking immediately as the group glanced around, eyes lighting on Amy, who's name had been noticeably absent from the tales. Glancing back, at her, Alyssa smiled ... a cold smile that almost stole warmth from the room. "Ah, you wish to know what deeds Amy has done? Sweet, innocent looking Amy? When we faced down the Incursion, a foul entity from the outer planes who sought to establish himself on our world, a threat to every living thing across Faerun, we were ill-prepared for the devastation of its magical might ... except for Amy. She stripped it bare of its formidable protections, controlled its minions, and watched without pity as she left it vulnerable to sinews and strength of our warriors.

You seek accomplishments? Look to your own continued breathing and existence in this world as proof of what we can and have done. Your tickets are paltry in the face of the forces we have faced and laid low. But we would consider them a simply thank you for services rendered."

Stepping back, Alyssa pulled her cloak tightly around herself. She hated this place and did not have to fake her distaste for this entire situation. Fortunately, she did not have to lie, since everything she said was truth, if not a little fanciful for the situation.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

“Oh, he’s not giving us short-shrift,” Pergrim chimed in. “He just doesn't want a bunch of dull-as-dust types boring the other guests. Ruins the mood.” Which was true, as far as it went: It was the obligation of the party-goer to contribute to the spirit of the event with whatever gifts they possessed — storytelling, signing, being outlandish and so on.

“But you’re in luck on that score, for I’d wager the tales my comrades can tell could hold the attention of any table. As Alyssa says, we’ve faced the might of foes from the heavens on down, and none have matched us yet. I myself have been to Oerth’s edge, beyond sun or stone, and came back whole … or nearly so.”

He holds up his heavy, mailed left hand and pries back part of the gauntlet to reveal the ash-black skin beneath. “The sight of it isn’t fit for fair company, but the story behind it is. Like as not you’ve heard of Lord Robilar the Reckless and his sword, The Blade of Black Ice. There's only one of those — so far. But I followed his footsteps to the dark lands north of Blackmoor and yes, dared to go even farther than he, and saw wonders few other mortal eyes ever have — in a search for the metal that created it. One touch of the stuff was enough to do this to my arm … fortunately it’s not my good one.”

He waves over one of the servants and asks Loratio for a suggested vintage. "It's a longer tale than one bottle, I think."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20+16)[19] includes wine modifier
    Last edited by infomatic; 2014-09-29 at 03:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Baervard

Easy lass...we are here to impress him, not have him call the guards. Baervard nods at Alyssa and Pergrims accounts then stands up. He removes his shaded lenses so the noble can see in full the scar running across his face and through his eye.

"I am Ruathar, named by Prince Aldain Lillian." He says, his weakened eye twitching. Once their host has a good look he resettles the lenses and sits down.

Spoiler
    Show
    A dwarven elf-friend has got to be an enticing story. ;)
    Last edited by Chambers; 2014-09-29 at 04:28 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Yes..." Jeb speaks cautiously. His actual reputation may have preceded him here in which case, he would want to be vague. And he would not stand to add more lies to this wretched place. "What they say is all true. I may not be much to look at all but I command the powers of nature and with its wrath, a hundred foes have fallen to me by night or day." He leans back and says simply, "They never see me coming because they never know what to expect. You have heard great tales from all, and your halls would beam with our glory if we were to be permitted to enter."

The aesthetic figured that would be vague enough. No need to mention that hundreds in a horde of evil undead had been what was vanquished or that they never knew what to expect because he never kept a single form. Nor is there the need to mention the white tiger, his trademark consistency laying in the corner at this time. The less attention his tale drew, the better.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+18)[33] +17, remembered wrong so that's a 32
    Last edited by Mishkov; 2014-09-29 at 11:05 PM.
    No longer have time to participate in games. I apologize.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

The Quaggoth looks impressed by the stories as the dwarves speak, the druid projects a faint aura of power and the elegant Alyssa tells the stirring tale of the destruction of the temple. Nodding and even joining them in a glass of wine he finally turns his attention to Amy, "So Lady Amy? Is this true is your your magical prowess really born of the elves of the ages?"

Spoiler: Tombs...
    Show

You know you want to roll a dice

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #546

Flumph

At Alyssa's words Amy gives her grateful smile, but not relishing the moment she has to speak. Finally, the quaggoth turns to her.

I studied a great deal in the colleges of Celene but I doubt your guests will relish a deep discussion of the thaum and its place in universal logistics. I am, however, also well read on planar theory and have studied city management, including reading about the organisation of your great city.

She pauses.

If you want to be formal, I suppose I am Magistrate Amy of the Faerie Kingdom, Guardian of Myring and Keeper of the Mountain Glade.

It's obvious to the party that Amy is deeply uncomfortable talking about her past and more so about her accomplishments.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy: (1d20+1)[15]

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

The "man" smiles smoothly before nodding. you will amuse the court greatly and no doubt make the Prince a happy man. Return in 4 days, I shall have your tickets ready. Remember you will have to dress for a royal ball. No weapons or armour save maybe a side blade.

He looks at the rich pickings of most of the party, is there anything I can do to help you further.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

The wine and the food in the Deluxury are good and you leave replete before more serious things come back to your attention. The mention of a dragon in Traitor's graveyard and the possibility of evil cultists involved! Escpecially gievn the rumours swirling in the streets of the bodies of the Ebon Triad cultists (an evil cult that is composed of breakaway factions of Hextor, Erythnul and Vecna and wants to combine the 3 gods into an evil uber deity- all 3 churches consider this Ebon triad cult as heretics) being staked and hung out in the Traitor's Graveyard all vanish rapidly afterwards.

The traitors graves are a series of islands in the marshy and fog shrouded Eel river. The islands are thick with muddy pools, rotting corpses and Y -frames of splintered wood with rotting or eaten bodies upon them. As you reach the edge of the wayer, an expanse of mud stretching out towards series of hummock of rock and shrubs great clouds of mosquito's swopp around you, biting you near constantly.

Spoiler: mosquitoes
    Show

So... down on the bank of the river, about a mile of swamp to cross. Prep as you like.

Mosquito's require a DC10 fort save per hour to not be sickened/distracted and a DC16 Fort save per hour to avoid catching a nasty river disease.

A natural armour bonus of +3 of more means you're too thick skinned for mosquitos.

The island at the heart of the area is a sodden hummock of mud and rocky soil only a few feet above the surface of the dark brown silty slowing water of the Eel river. Wiry bushes and shrubs grow in tangled patches alongside muddy pools of water and the Y-frames of rotting wood, some with bits of bodies, others bare and empty yet oddly spectral like scarecrows in the sullen misty light.

On the frames with decomposing bodies a few crows and Ravens lurk but they birds appear nervous, beaks twitching constantly skywards. A bleak place indeed.

9. - Top - End - #549

Chimera

At the first glimpse of the festering stew of mud and dank water that made up Traitors' Graves, Pergrim let fall the memories of shopkeepers haggling with customers and returned to thoughts of proud, young dwarves, standing hale and hearty on a midwinter's day. This place was absolutely rank. He waved aside mosquitoes — or tried to, only to have more swoop in.

As they move through what little land there is, he spies the ravens and turns to Byrne, who clung to his shoulder as it cawed, "Ugh!" over and over.

"Make yourself useful; see if they know anything," Pergrim grumbles, and Byrne reluctantly flaps over to near where they others have alighted. "Safe here?" it croaks.

Spoiler: OOC, Soulmelds
    Show

Urban Companions, per here, get "Speak with Animals of their kind" at Effective Master Level 1

Crown: Enigma Helm (bound) -- Nondetection DC 23 to penetrate with divination, Immune to Charm
    Feet: Impulse Boots (bound) -- Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, bonus to reflex
    Hands: Mauling Gauntlets (bound) & Theft Gloves -- Imp. Unarmed Strike, Bonuses to UA damage, Disable Device, Open Lock
    Brow: Truthseeker Goggles -- Bonus to Gather Info, Sense Motive, Search
    Shoulder: Pauldrons of Health -- Immune to disease/nausea
    Soul: Incarnate Avatar
    Last edited by infomatic; 2014-10-03 at 04:18 PM.

10. - Top - End - #550

Baervard

"I dunno which is fouler...the naked corruption of the city or this muck." Baervard says once they're among the islands. As they approach the central island he pauses to take one of Grillin's wands out from his pack. "Alyssa, if there be undead here - which I'd be willing to bet, what with the stolen corpses - this'll be more use to you than me." He fumbles with the wand for a bit and then manages to hold it right. "Usually use earth and stones.." He mumbles to himself as he releases the enchantment upon Alyssa.

"It only lasts a while, so take it and use it when you feel like it." He then bends down and inspects the muddy ground an inch below his boots thanks to the gifted ring from the Archmage. "Foulness." He says in disgust. "Still, there's earth..." He picks up a handful of dirt and mud and slings most of the water out, then squeezes the rest into a hard packed mud. Crumbling it in his hands he throws it into the air and voices a prayer to Moradin, the dirt vaporizing as divine energy falls onto himself and his companions.

"Now." He says as he unslings his shield and readies his warhammer. "What do the birds have to say?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ring of Water Walking whoo!

He'll use the Wand of Eagle's Splendor on Alyssa if she doesn't object and hand her the wand. It only lasts 3 minutes per charge but she's got a much better chance of Turning Undead than Baervard does, so I don't feel bad about using up a bunch of charges if we need to.

He'll also cast Mass Conviction on the party (130 minutes, +4 morale bonus to all saves).
    Last edited by Chambers; 2014-10-03 at 06:40 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

As magical auras begin to cover the party and Jeb shifts into a massive beast if some description the many grey floating orbs orbiting Alyssa begin to return.
    She speaks softly, cool eyes darting around the swamp..
    There is a boat on the other side with dead city guardsman. All 4 look like something attacked them. There is also a cave hidden amongst the rocks in the centre... The entrance is blocked but Master Jeb could open the way?

As she speaks, the sound muffled by the wet air the ravens nearby caw and squawk at one another before Bryne flies back. Not safe. Flick if big lizards. Eat two-legs and chase crows. Live in the hole in the ground...

Spoiler: spot/listen
    Show

Could I have some perception checks as you are roaming?

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Ahh nature, Jeb felt much more at home in a swamp. He spent the first bit of their journey as a bog hag and then transformed suddenly into a gigantic beetle with what looked like a large trumpet protruding from his body. The 9 foot long monstroscity looks quite out of place the midst of an adventuring troupe, not to mention the shining beacon of light from the armor gleaming around him and the white tiger following the beetle seemingly unconcerned by the whole scenario. The mosquitoes knew to ignore his thick hide and they had other targets to drain.

"It's just a swamp, the stones and sin of the city are much more offensive," Jeb replies in a strange bellowing voice that others were bound to hear, "I am concerned by the large number of corpses nearby however. Perhaps not all is as it seems"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge nature checks if Jeb sees anything out of the ordinary. (1d20+17)[20] or if he senses any undead from nemesis.
    (1d20+7)[26] survival roll for track if he notices anything

Jeb in shape. Knell beetle today! Double check my armor calculations? I think I did it right, but it's been a while.

13. - Top - End - #553

Chimera

"Oh, I don't know," Pergrim growls, yanking a boot free from the muck as Byrne flies back. "Big graveyard, half-eaten bodies. Could be exactly what it seems. The birds say there are big lizards that live in the hole. I'm not sure I'd trust 'em as naturalists, though. 'Big lizard' is a pretty broad category if you're a bird."

He squelches forward, the mosquitoes' din in his ears but alert for anything that seems off.

Spoiler
    Show

Detect Chaos, for whatever that's worth, and byrne's listen check (rest of rolls are in OOC thread)

(1d20+7)[9]
    Last edited by infomatic; 2014-10-04 at 10:51 AM.

14. - Top - End - #554

Flumph

Amy looks at the swamp / graveyard hybrid with distaste.

Traitor's Grave. I didn't imagine a woodland grove, but really? Why can't we ever go anywhere nice?

She's clearly feeling a lot more relaxed now that she's away from the awkward questions of earlier.

Amy's eyes half close as she concentrates on something and she makes an arrogant gesture of dismissal at the ground before rising a few inches into the air out of the muck.

Still, this place has a history...

And she gives a quick history of everything she knows about the place.

Spoiler
    Show

Spell was the warlock Flight spell, which would have been cast earlier but unused.

Knowledge (local) check using the Tome of Worldly Memory: (1d20+17)[23]
    Particularly interested in anything that links the city to this place and the prince - especially if the "big lizards" are his pets and us strolling through here killing them might annoy him...

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Amy looks about, wracking her memory. The traitor's graveyard was chosen in this horrible location as a final insult to the dead. Where it could serve as a final indignity to those who met their end on Prince Zeech's gibbets or on the bloody sand of the arena. As far as she is aware it is ignored and avoided by as many as possible. The occasional visit by grave keepers delivering more bodies or particularly keen Clerics of Wee Jas to limit undead the limit of involvement. Although darker rumours of the Ebon Triad or other dark cults have also surfaced recently.

As the party move across, Pergrim walking above the surface with his glowing air step sandals and Amy's sorceries carrying her above the muck. Jeb and the tiger padded along, Jeb now a massive and strange looking beetle with a dangerous looking trumpet topping the massive 2 foot thick exo-shell. Despite compound eyes it was thed ruid who saw the movement first. A long snake like head peeking from a nearby pool, a second joining it a moment later! Other shapes moved in the sky, as the party spotted the long sinuous shapes on 30ft wings descending rapidly... DRAGONS!

Spoiler: Here be dragons!
    Show

So there are 4 large black dragons! eek...

2 are in a swamp pool 120ft in front of you
    1 is ~40ft in the air 200ft to your left
    1 is ~160ft above you and 100ft in front of you

The player's have the initiative... You may begin to panic

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb stomps on the ground in warning, and shouts out "Black dragons! Up ahead. I've...I've never seen this many in a group--two in the swamp and two in the air!"

Jeb whispers a spell, calling on the power of the a bear to enhance his strength and braces himself for the dragons approach. The white tiger moves along side him, ready to strike. In an instant the beetle shrinks and grows roots then 8 dark tendrils grow up from the ground. Becoming one with nature, Jeb becomes an octopus tree, a fiendish destructive plant.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast bite of the were-bear. Sharing with the pet. Edit: Becoming octopus tree as a move action.

Pending permission, Jeb still has a move action left over to go into plant form. Current sheet
    Last edited by Mishkov; 2014-10-06 at 09:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #557

Chimera

"Oh …" Pergrim mumbles something under his breath. "Well, this explains the three-headed dragon story we heard. They were probably poking their heads of the water. We'll have to set that fellow straight." Hopefully they'd get the chance.

Spoiler
    Show

Sheltering under our new tree for now, drawing his greatsword

Crown: Enigma Helm (bound)
    Feet: Impulse Boots (bound) 2 ess
    Hands: Mauling Gauntlets (bound)
    Theft Gloves
    Brow: Truthseeker Goggles
    Shoulder: Pauldrons of Health
    Soul: Incarnate Avatar -- 5 ess

Armor: 3 ess
    Shield: 4 ess
    Last edited by infomatic; 2014-10-06 at 12:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #558

Baervard

"Aye, that's one more head than reported..." Baervard says as he grips his warhammer tighter. "Think they care to parley?" He asks in jest as he channels divine energy through his necklace that rests upon himself and his companions, warding them and bolstering their spirits.

Spoiler
    Show
    Baervard casts Recitation (13 rounds, +2 luck bonus to Armor Class, Attacks, and Saving Throws.

Baervard
    AC 34 (+2 luck)
    HP 159/159
    F/R/W +26/+17/+21 (+2 luck, +4 morale)

Active Effects: Recitation (13 rounds), Mass Conviction (130 minutes), Magic Vestment, Greater Magic Weapon, Greater Resistance

Party Wide Buffs:
    Recitation: +2 luck AC, Attack, Saves
    Mass Convication: +4 morale Saves

19. - Top - End - #559

Flumph

One hydra. Why couldn't it have been one hydra?

Energy crackles around Amy and she throws her hand out in the direction of the two grounded dragons. The swamp erupts with black tentacles, reaching out and wrapping themselves around the creatures.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm assuming they are moving to attack, otherwise I'll do something different.

Casting Chilling Tentacles on the dragons on the ground.

Grapple vs first: (1d20+21)[38]
    Grapple vs second: (1d20+21)[34]

They also take (2d6)[8] cold damage for being in the area.
    Last edited by Tombs; 2014-10-09 at 10:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

In the party's midst the strange trumpet beetle ripples and shifts as it warps into a strange massive tress with long sucker covered tendrils, magics sheeting it as the tree is still covered in thick magical turtle armour and shrouded in a halo of sand. A faint roar can be heard as the power of a bear flows into both tiger and tree...

Under the spreading tendrils the rest of the party prepares for battle, the two dwarves readying weapons, magical blessings of the Bearded Gods flowing through the party as Baevard blesses everyone. Alyssa casting another protective spell shrouding the party in protective magics. Amy begins the magical onslaught as black tentacles dripping freezing liquid and draped in ice crystals seek out the pair of dragons, but both beasts are mighty and strong bursting free of the tentacles!

THe dragons assault, cat calls and hisses between them as they leap in for the kill, the two in front gliding and running until only 50ft from the mighty tree before both hiss and spit great lines of hissing acid at the party. One spraying both Amy and the mighty tree, the other coating Baevard and the tree...

Spoiler: Dragon 1+2
    Show

Move to 5oft from the party

D1: (8d4)[22] x1.5 from empower breath DC20 Ref for half - AMY and JEB (recharge (1d4+2)[5])
    D2: (8d4)[23] DC20 Ref for half Baevard and Jeb

One of the flying dragons shimmers as it vanishes from sight becoming invisible from everyone's eyes apart from the witch sight of Amy, the 4th and final one flying fast to land 40 to the parties right, eyeing the relative levels of magical power and choosing to target the druid with layers of magical defences, a gem on its flank shattering as it recites a potent spell.

Spoiler: Amy
    Show

With see invisible it's now directly above the party

Spoiler: Dragon 4
    Show
    D4: Dispel magic (1d20+4)[22] VS DC 9
    -- (1d20+9)[17](1d20+9)[13] (1d20+9)[10] (1d20+9)[21] (1d20+9)[20] (1d20+9)[12] (1d20+9)[23] (1d20+9)[20]
    (1d20+9)[14]
    -- apply against active spells from highest to lowest level
    Last edited by DrK; 2014-10-09 at 04:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #561

Flumph

Amy dives for cover behind the tree as a deluge of acid falls over them. Emerging carefully, calls a warning about the circling invisible dragon then focuses carefully on her allies and releases a series of shimmering balls which rush out, striking them and seemingly splintering their outlines.

Spoiler
    Show

Is there anything I could use for cover from breath weapon round 2? If so, move, duck and cover.

Casting Chained Displacement which should affect all the party (grants 50% miss chance).

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Jeb's enchantments shimmer against the spell but hold strong. The druid has become stronger in his spells as of late and his magics have become resilient. The bark of the tree absorbs the acid and draws it down into its roots. Unharmed, the druid staggers towards the dragons, moving as fast as his roots can take him. He retaliates by once again calling upon the goodness of plants and the heavens begin to rain roses from above. The fall harmlessly around the good but turn to ash and bleed into the skin of those who are evil.

Spoiler
    Show
    Jeb is immune to acid in the current form. The tiger is not though, does it take damage/should it make saves?
    Move 10 feet towards dragons.
    Then cast rain of roses centered on him, 80 foot radius, 80 foot height.
    (1d4)[4] wisdom damage for 13 rounds, no save, (1d20+13)[26] vs SR
    DC 22 fort vs sicken until they leave the area of the roses

23. - Top - End - #563

Baervard

The acid eats away at Baervard's only exposed skin - his face. He snarls in pain and lowers his grip on his warhammer, swinging it in wide circles as he begins to run towards the dragon on the ground. "I'll deal with the ones I can see first!" He shouts to Amy over his shoulder as he charges at the dragon, warhammer swinging wild.

Spoiler
    Show
    Charge the dragon on the ground. Power Attack for 6 (+24 normal, -6 power attack, +2 charge, +2 luck)

Attack (1d20+22)[25]
    Damage (1d8+28)[31]

Edit: His Vanguard Treads & Ring of Water Walking allow him to ignore any difficult terrain the swamp might have.

Baervard
    AC 34 (+2 luck)
    HP 159/159
    F/R/W +26/+17/+21 (+2 luck, +4 morale)

Active Effects: Recitation (12 rounds), Mass Conviction (130 minutes), Magic Vestment, Greater Magic Weapon, Greater Resistance

Party Wide Buffs:
    Last edited by Chambers; 2014-10-10 at 05:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #564

Chimera

Pergrim launches himself toward the dragon on the right, even as Baevard moves as well. Raising the great sword over his head, he brings it down upon the creature with a fierce cry.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Charge dragon 4, activate Incarnum Radiance (+3 to hit)
    If Baevard's attacking at same one, aim for different corner so I can 5-ft step and flank next round.
    Power attack for -7

(1d20+21)[35] for (2d6+21)[30] damage, skipping acid b/c Black Dragon.

Status
    AC 25
    HP 112/112
    Saves 18/17/14

Feet: Impulse Boots (bound) 2 ess
    Theft Gloves

Armor: 3 ess
    Shield: 4 ess

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Alyssa

The trip into the swamp was a welcome distraction from the harsh discipline and devilish feel to the city. Alyssa followed the others, somewhat lost in thought, accepting Jeb's offer to shield her from the insatiable mosquitoes. As they pressed forward, she let her eyes flit ahead, searching for signs of interest. When they finally found something, the group began to prepare themselves for battle.

Violence did indeed erupt, but not in the fashion that any of them expected - four large black dragons emerged from the swamp and attacked! Rushing to help her friends, Alyssa called upon the protective magicks of her god, trying to ward her companions skin against the harshness of the dragon's breath.

Whispering to Amy, she upward, "Can you bring the last dragon into the light?" Then she called for a spell she had prepared special for today. A ball of arcing energy appeared, then sudden jumped forward, striking the three dragons simultaneously with equal fury.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Okay, first Alyssa would have taken the barkskin offered by Jeb. Second, she does NOT have mass fire shield memorized (sorry!). Instead, for protective magic it would have made sense to cast mass resist energy vs acid. I'll let DrK decide if it applies for that first round of stuff, but I vote for yes

Third, moving forward and casting sculpted arc of lightning to generate four mini-spheres of lightning on each visible dragon. With her rod of fury, she'll go ahead and empower it for free Spell damage - (13d6)[48]+50% =72, No SR, Ref save vs DC 22 for half

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    HPs: 89/89; AC: 26; F +20 / R +23 / W +25
    Turn undead 6/6; Smite spell 3/3

Active effects
    celestial brilliance (120' light, dam vs undead/outsiders; 15 days)
    greater mage armor (+6 armor bonus; 12 hrs)
    heart of earth (+26 hps, +8 vs trip/etc; sacrifice for stoneskin; 12 hrs)
    prying eyes (15 floating spies; 12 hrs)
    resist energy (30 vs acid; 120 min)
    barkskin (+5 natural AC; 130 min; Jeb)
    recitation (+2 luck AC, attacks, saves; 12 rounds; Baervard)
    mass convication (+4 morale saves; 130 min; Baervard)
    displacement (50% miss chance; 12 rnds; Amy)

Spoiler: Divine Spells (CL 12)
    Show
    0 (6): detect magic, detect magic, light, light, amanuensis, message
    1 (7+1): protection from evil, protection from evil, shield of faith, shield of faith, protection from chaos, lesser vigor, lesser vigor, burning hands
    2 (6+1): resist energy, resist energy, consecrate, lesser restoration, lesser restoration, remove paralysis, detect thoughts
    3 (5+1): dispel magic, dispel magic, remove curse, mass resist energy, wind wall, searing light
    4 (4+1): restoration, spell immunity, death ward, undead weapon bane, holy smite
    5 (4+1): disrupting weapon, flame strike, wall of magma, plane shift, true seeing
    6 (3+1): heal, undeath to death, rejection, bolt of glory

Spoiler: Arcane Spells (CL 12)
    Show
    0 (4+1): caltrops, silent portal, silent portal, prestidigitation, acid splash
    1 (6+1): lesser orb of fire, lesser orb of fire, true casting, true casting, shield, shield, mage armor
    2 (6+1): alter self, scorching ray, scorching ray, seeking ray, invisibility, levitate, web
    3 (5+1): fireball, phantom steed, fly, greater disrupt undead, greater mage armor, stinking cloud
    4 (4+1): resilient sphere, assay spell resistance, orb of fire, heart of earth, summon monster IV
    5 (4+1): prying eyes, firebrand, channeled sound blast, telepathic bond, wall of stone
    6 (3+1): globe of invulnerability, sculpted arc of lightning, disintegrate, acid fog
    Last edited by Starbin; 2014-10-10 at 10:47 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Even as black acidic cones saturate the area the protective wardings raised by Alyssa shield you all from the worst. Amy rolls sideways, blurred forms appearing around the entire party as you all shift and shimmer, positions obscured by illusion.
    Jeb reaches skywards and roses fall from the sky, giving nothing but a floral scent to the party but exploding on the dragons, rich perfume fogging their minds'. Alyssa is not subtle as lightning flashes across the sky hitting the beasts in great explosions of molten scales and flesh.

Baevard and Pergrim heft sword and hammer as they charge one of the dragons, both smoting it with mighty blows that dent and rend draconic flesh.

Confused by the roses the dragon lashes out with tooth, claw and wing at the dwarves.
    Spoiler: Dragon 4
    Show

Vs pergrim
    BIte (1d20+22)[24] Dam (2d6+6)[15] Miss (1d100)[83] low misses
    Claw (1d20+20)[38] dam (1d8+2)[3] miss (1d100)[36] low misses
    Claw (1d20+20)[40] dam (1d8+2)[9] miss (1d100)[36] low misses
    Vs Baevard
    Wing (1d20+20)[33] dam (1d8+2)[6] miss (1d100)[48] low misses
    Wing (1d20+20)[25] dam (1d8+2)[5] miss (1d100)[40] low misses

The invisible dragon plunges from the sky upon Alyssa seeking to grab the sorceress!

Spoiler: dragon 3
    Show

Claw (1d20+24)[31] dam (1d8+8)[16] miss (1d100)[38] low misses
    Grapple Alyssa (1d20+27)[44]

The first dragons snarl angrily as they are blasted by spells and exploding roses. One reached to its chest tearing free a piece of slate before chomping down. Seconds later a trio of scorching rays zap towards Jeb.
    The other dragon swoops forwards steering clear of the tree to land behind Baevard sinking its teeth into the dwarf's back!

Spoiler: dragon 1 and 2
    Show

Dragon 1
    Caster check (1d20+5)[18] vs DC 11
    Touch [roll] 1d20+16[/roll] (4d6)[15] fire miss (1d100)[32] low misses
    Touch [roll] 1d20+16[/roll] (4d6)[9] fire miss (1d100)[54] low misses
    Touch [roll] 1d20+16[/roll] (4d6)[7] fire miss (1d100)[91] low misses

Dragon 2 charge Baevard and bite
    BIte (1d20+28)[39] Dam (2d6+8)[17] and (2d6)[9] sneak Miss (1d100)[51] low misses

27. - Top - End - #567

Baervard

"Watch our bac-" Baervard shout is cut off by the terrible maw chomping down on him. Though his armor blunts most of the blow the wyrms teeth are sharp and cut deep into him. He pushes off the dragon and glares at it, then glances down to see his wounds already starting to knit back together. "I'll deal with you in a minute!" He says to the dragon and then turns towards his first foe.

"Oy! Beastie!" He says in between blows of his warhammer. "Sit down! Play dead!"

Spoiler
    Show
    5ft step towards getting out of flank between the dragons and moving towards flank with Pergrimm. May not be possible this turn, but that's the plan.

Full Attack on the dragon he attacked last round, Power Attack for -6.

Attack (1d20+20)[34]
    Damage (1d8+28)[35]

Attack (1d20+15)[28]
    Damage (1d8+28)[36]

Attack (1d20+10)[16]
    Damage (1d8+28)[29]

Baervard
    AC 34 (+2 luck)
    HP 147/159
    F/R/W +26/+17/+25 (+2 luck, +4 morale, +4 Will)

Active Effects: Combat Focus (Fast Heal 4, +4 Will, +8 Stability), Displacement, Recitation (11 rounds), Mass Conviction (130 minutes), Magic Vestment, Greater Magic Weapon, Greater Resistance
    Iron Ward Diamond: 5/50 absorbed.

Party Wide Buffs:

28. - Top - End - #568

Chimera

The dragon jaws, dripping with bile, fasten themselves on Pergrim's forearm, but can't quite find a hold. It never has another chance as Baevard's blow staves in its skull and the creature collapses into the much.

Eyeing the new foe behind his companion, he whirls to one side, steering the truesteel blade in a long, heavy arc into the creature's hide.

"Ate your fill of the townies, did you? You'll find us a bit tougher."

Spoiler: Full Atk. on Dragon 2
    Show

5 foot step if I can flank. Power Attack -6

(1d20+20)[26] for (2d6+19)[24]
    (1d20+15)[31] for (2d6+19)[21]
    (1d20+10)[29] for (2d6+19)[25]

all attacks at +2 if flanking.

crit roll will be in OOC thread

sneak attack damage, if applicable
    (2d6)[8]
    (2d6)[7]
    (2d6)[9]

Spoiler: status
    Show

Status
    AC 25
    HP 112/112
    Saves 18/17/14

Incarnum Radiance
    Displacement
    Greater Resistance

Feet: Impulse Boots (bound) 4 ess
    Theft Gloves

Armor: 4 ess
    Shield:
    Last edited by infomatic; 2014-10-11 at 03:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

The druid, realizing that he could never catch such resilient creatures, casts fly upon himself and his animal companion, preparing to aid his companions shortly.

More roses continue to fall from the incantation earlier. "Keep them locked down" Jeb shouts to his companions, "I'm on my way!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Stupid tree move speed.

Another (1d4)[4] wisdom damage to all dragons still in the area.

30. - Top - End - #570

Flumph

Amy gives Alyssa a smile then narrows her eyes and focuses on the invisible dragon. Raw magic swirls around her and blasts at the creature where it plays around its body before arcing to the ground.

I can see you, lizard...

Spoiler
    Show

Cast Voracious Dispel on the invisible dragon. Dispel rolls:

(1d20+12)[31]
    (1d20+12)[28]
    (1d20+12)[24]
    (1d20+12)[22]
    (1d20+12)[25]
    (1d20+12)[15]
    (1d20+12)[17]
    (1d20+12)[15]
    (1d20+12)[23]

Any spells which are nullified inflict 1hp damage / spell level on the dragon.