New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default When a comic frame breaks its comic's visual "rules of reality."

A pet peeve of mine is when a frame or part of a frame of a comic (usually webcomics, but not always) breaks the internally consitent laws of physics/geometry for that world. Note that when the comic consistently has a shifting/weird/surreal/unreal style it doesn't bother me if a new unreal visual element is present.

I'm talking about things like eyes being visible through opaque locks of hair when that doesn't usually happen for that character, and it looks like the artist just decided late that hair should cover part of an eye and couldn't be arsed to erase or ink over that part of the eye. Also, lots of the type of stuff that is complained about in the "Escher Girls" subreddit, but not gender specific.

Similarly, it also annoys me when a part of the scenery accidentally looks Escher-esque because perspective lines were joined wrong accidentally, etc.

Does this sort of thing bother anyone else? Paradoxically (or maybe not, psychologically speaking) this bothers me significantly more when it happens the rarer that type of mistake is in that comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: When a comic frame breaks its comic's visual "rules of reality."

I... guess it does? Those seems like artistic mistakes, so they can be bothering, yes.
    (The whole "eyes visible through hair" thing is often mistaken as a style, though. Same as cheekmouth. Bad form.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    I... guess it does? Those seems like artistic mistakes, so they can be bothering, yes.
    (The whole "eyes visible through hair" thing is often mistaken as a style, though. Same as cheekmouth. Bad form.)
    I'm talking pretty much only about when the "eyes visible through hair" thing comes off as an inconsistent occasional mistake in a particular comic.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Occasional mistakes in an otherwise well-drawn comic don't really bother me, no. What I really dislike is badly-drawn stuff, or stuff that's so overdrawn that you can barely tell what's going on. (See Rob Liefeld for every example of the latter two you'll ever need!).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Occasional mistakes in an otherwise well-drawn comic don't really bother me, no. What I really dislike is badly-drawn stuff, or stuff that's so overdrawn that you can barely tell what's going on. (See Rob Liefeld for every example of the latter two you'll ever need!).
    I happen to know Yellow Hat Guy. If you know what I mean by that, then you can infer something of my knowledge base regarding Rob Liefeld's, um, corpus of works.