New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Civ 5 Multiplayer 3: Swimsuit Edition

saves screwed up reverting it to see if that fixes it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
    (")_(") to help him gain world domination.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SaruSama View Post
    saves screwed up reverting it to see if that fixes it.
    It gives me 'Waiting for Players', then pops up to the Maya's turn. That happened before and after the revert.
    Board-game and XCOM nerd. Furry. Handle with care.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

It gave me a download link (Mayans here) and loaded up Maya for a few seconds before hopping over to reloading for Magentawolf. Not sure what to do about that here.

4. - Top - End - #184

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    It gave me a download link (Mayans here) and loaded up Maya for a few seconds before hopping over to reloading for Magentawolf. Not sure what to do about that here.
    Save and submit; I have a feeling that new players joining might have thrown it for a loop. It was my turn, but then kept popping up for *you* to take your turn... so maybe now that it's acknowledged you, it'll settle down.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok... tried that. It's 'not my turn' anymore. I guess?

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by Techwarrior View Post
    Ok... tried that. It's 'not my turn' anymore. I guess?
    I was able to take my turn successfully, so I think we're good now.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Boy, was I surprised when I got my first turn. This will be fun, in the Dwarf Fortress sense of the term.

Revolution! Glorious revolution! The old king is dead, and now the new ki- I mean, now the people rule! Through their beloved representative, Neon the Mediocre!

Spoiler: Spectators Only
    Show

Okay, let's start with an Empire tour!

...this is my capital? This useless rock? A single square of desert hills and one tile of fish? No wonder I'm in last place, although surely this isn't the original capital...

Okay, this is a little better. A food bonus resource, Iron, and the excellent luxury resource Marble. And looking around, there are some nice locations nearby. But let's go ahead and address the elephant in the room.

Polynesia has taken my capital. This is nothing short of disastrous. In fact, looking at the map, I have no idea how this happened. Why did Persia settle to the south at all? Especially on a worthless 1 land tile surrounded by water dump?

...when it could have settled here. What the christ! Unless Samoa is a Persian city renamed to fit the Polynesia theme. I hadn't been following the spectator posts in this thread, so I'm completely ignorant as to how this happened. I can't imagine how Polynesia, even with embarking unlocked from turn 1, managed to sneak a settler over here first and grab this spot, including the Rock of Gibraltar! Prior Persian management seems to have been asleep at the wheel. Was Persia an AI from turn 1 or something? Did Polynesia bum rush this civ right out the gate?

Moving on, the good news is that this awesome spot is right near my other cities. Look at that! Triple Fish, Crabs, Horses, Sheep, and two Stone!?! All within reach of one city? Why the hell was the stupid desert rock settled when this spot was right next door!?! I have to get this spot if I want any hope of not being in last place forever, which is how I "win", btw, at least in my own eyes. At this point I have no hope of taking first, but I can do my best to not be last. I am, of course, extremely nervous that someone else will try to claim this spot. 10 turns is the quickest I can get a settler out; that is a long time to wait. Hopefully it is quick enough.

Here is another solid spot; almost no matter where you found on this island, you can get access to Lake Victoria. If I can get the military to clean up the barb camps and get a settler over here too, I might stand a chance of having a few decent to great cities. My problem isn't a lack of good land to settle; it's that my existing land is pretty pitiful, my nearest neighbor is an apparently aggressive military runaway, and time is not on my side.

In terms of culture, I have a complete Tradition tree, which is nice. I forgot to take a screenshot of my Tech Tree, but I'm mostly near the end of the Classical/beginning of the Medieval. My only Medieval tech is Theology, and I imagine as the game progresses I'm going to fall desperately behind. My army is two Triremes, which are far flung scouting the map, and one nearby Immortal. So nothing, really. I can only hope MagentaWolf's Polynesia doesn't come a knocking. It would be kind of a **** move to recruit me into the game only to swiftly eliminate me, but you never know.

My only real hope, and the only thing I can do to really affect and interact with the game right now, as I have to wait many turns for anything to build on these tiny island cities, is diplomacy. Even there, I have no Luxury resources to level, or anything to offer, really. I'm in dead last place and honestly a stronger empire would be pretty justified in wiping me out to secure access to those excellent spots nearby. This will be tricky. In a normal MP mindset, the original player of Persia would be within their rights to concede in this situation; they're pretty much done. I'm not the greatest player, but I'm still going to give it my all to pull out of this nosedive and get Persia flying again.

Spoiler: To Austria
    Show
    Greetings to you, oh auspicious and great ruler of Austria! As you may or may not be aware, the old dynasty of the Persian Empire has sadly perished under unfortunate-but-entirely-natural circumstances, and now the people rule! I am their beloved representative and spokesperson, Neon the Mediocre of the Persian Islands!

I say "islands" because due to some misunderstanding, it seems that Polynesia soldiers and officials currently occupy the Persian mainland and our capital of Persepolis. Some sort of mistake, I'm sure, although someone did mutter something about a war conducted by the last dynasty. I'm sure that time will eventually see our claims recognized, but until then let me welcome you to our island paradise!

I was contacting you in the hopes that you might be able to look through your records and see what contact and correspondence our nations have had in the past. The royal archives are, by some weird accident, all burned or covered in red-ink-no-that-is-not-the-blood-of-kings, why would you think that?

We hope you'll find the time to answer our missive, and perhaps find time to take a vacation in the wonderful Persian Islands! I'm also the head of the tourism board, so just let me know when you're planning your next trip, and I can get you half-off on your galley tickets! There is no better way to travel than one of the fine vessels of the Persian Navy!

Spoiler: To Poland
    Show
    Greetings, mighty and majestic king of Poland! As you may or may not be aware, the old dynasty of the Persian Empire has sadly perished under unfortunate-but-entirely-natural circumstances, and now the people rule! I am their beloved representative and spokesperson, Neon the Mediocre of the Persian Islands!

I say "islands" because due to some misunderstanding, it seems that Polynesia soldiers and officials currently occupy the Persian mainland and our capital of Persepolis. Some sort of mistake, I'm sure, although someone did mutter something about a war conducted by the last dynasty. I'm sure that time will eventually see our claims recognized, but until then let me welcome you to our island paradise!

I was contacting you in the hopes that you might be able to look through your records and see what contact and correspondence our nations have had in the past. The royal archives are, by some weird accident, all burned or covered in red-ink-no-that-is-not-the-blood-of-kings, why would you think that?

We hope you'll find the time to answer our missive, and perhaps find time to take a vacation in the wonderful Persian Islands! I'm also the head of the tourism board, so just let me know when you're planning your next trip, and I can get you half-off on your galley tickets! There is no better way to travel than one of the fine vessels of the Persian Navy!

Spoiler: To The Iroquois
    Show
    Greeting to you, oh sagacious and supreme ruler of the Iroquois! As you may or may not be aware, the old dynasty of the Persian Empire has sadly perished under unfortunate-but-entirely-natural circumstances, and now the people rule! I am their beloved representative and spokesperson, Neon the Mediocre of the Persian Islands!

Spoiler: To Polynesia
    Show
    Greetings to you, oh awesome and powerful ruler of Polynesia! I am here to announce the end of the Old Persian Empire, and the rise of the new People's Autonomous Collective of the Persian Islands, or simply the Persian Islands for short! The old king is dead, and now I, Neon the Mediocre, hold the position of representative and spokesperson.

We understand that their has been troubles between our people in the past, hence the current state of things. I hope you can recognize that, with a change in leadership, the Persian people do not see Polynesia as an enemy, and that our two peoples can coexist peacefully. The future is bright for both nations, so I hope you can forget our past troubles, and embrace that future with open arms.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Let it be known that Pacal the Mildly Greater has ascended the throne! Let us prosper and flourish in preparation for the oncoming apocalypse.

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show
    Welp, can't say I'm thrilled with the Maya I got handed, but ok.

Full Tradition tree max'ed out. I'll need to found the next two cities, but hopefully that wont be too bad. Still need to finish exploring the area. I also have a Settler just chilling nearby my capital that I'll pay maintenance for until I can deploy them, so that's something? I don't personally agree with not going Wide as Pacal, but this might be the right time to do it.

I have a religion going on apparently. I don't have particularly great beliefs picked out, and it looks like it's because I founded late, which doesn't make too much sense having the Pyramids as my UB. Anyway...

Here's Palenque. It's nothing fancy, but nothing too terribly shabby. I have NC already built, which is nice. I also seem to have been focusing on buildings, so I've got the major ones knocked out. I don't have any food resources, which makes the 11 pop city a little surprising. I'll have to start working my worker something fierce to catch up my tiles.

And here's Tickal. This almost makes me less happy I think. More silver, and some iron. There's also a sheep in there, and a single fish. This city however, is obviously much later than Palenque, and is a bit too close to it for my liking. We'll have to see what we can do about fixing this thing up.

Show
    It does my heart good to see another enterprising leader in the face of the Oncoming Doom. With this change in management, we feel it necessary to extend Diplomatic relations to your civilization once more. We offer you the bounty of Silver, and ask only that you would share the joy of Cotton with out people. We have hard that this bulbous plant is a very lovely material, and we wish to see it for ourselves.

tl;dr Shall we trade Silver for Cotton for the foreseeable future?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler: To Persia
    Show
    "Times truly sound difficult in your homeland. I hope these gifts offered in friendship will allow you to get back on your feet. All we ask is friendship in return."
    (\__/)

10. - Top - End - #190

Show

Representative Neon,

It gladdens our hearts that a figure of will and power has taken the reins of this nation. The prior leadership has been.. shall we say, lacking in both wit and taste. Please pardon our dust, however, as renovations are currently underway for the summer palace of our God-King, may he rule eternally.

We are willing to keep the Peace between our peoples, and will not seek further war. (Provided that you do not leave your entire island completely undefended, as did your predecessor.)

Spoiler: To the Maya
    Show

It seems that these new lands of ours harbor an abundance of this Cotton. We would be happy to, and are willing to supply a steady trade of such for as long as the silver in your mines last.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectators Only
    Show

The Iroquois offer me friendship and dyes. It's a nice thing to get for just saying hello, but I did almost turn it down for fear of it being perceived as unfair; as people just giving me stuff because I'm behind and vulnerable to potential aggression from Polynesia. If The Iroquois wanna use me as a cold war puppet against Polynesia, that is fine by me, so long as they send me enough support to keep me alive. But I'm not against working for Polynesia either. I'm going to probably end up the junior partner in some alliance because otherwise eliminating me makes too much sense, as Magentawolf's missive duly notes.

Spoiler: To The Iroquois
    Show
    Your kindness and generosity have no equal in this world, resplendent leader. The Persian people will remember this, I can promise you. We heartily accept your gifts and friendship.

Show
    That we can agree upon; the farmer who leaves his hen-house door open should not be surprised to find nothing but foxes inside it the next day. Only a fool is completely trusting of the intentions of strangers. As they say in other lands, not all who walk with long knives are cooks. The Persian people have learned from their mistakes, of that you can be assured. And we look forward to a long, great peace, preferable interspersed with regular time periods of a gilded descriptor lasting 50% longer than similar periods in other nations.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Orc in the Playground

The Glorious Hapsburg Dominion of Austria

Show
    Greetings Neon of Persia, I am Corax the envoy for the Glorious Hapsburg Dominion of Austria. I had heard rumours of the collapse of the previous Persian dynasty and the unfortunate occupation of the capital, and a pleased to hear that Persia is once again taking to the stage.

We had little contact with Persia prior to the demise of the previous rulers and none whatsoever during the interregnum, indeed we are still not sure of the exact location of your lands.

If you are interested in exchanging Embassies I would be honoured to visit the Persian Isles when I have the opportunity, and maybe one day see a Persian Persepolis. Of course likewise you are welcome to visit the Dominion whenever you wish.

- Corax the Dark, Envoy for Her Royal Highness Maria Theresa of the Hapsburg Dominion of Austria
    Last edited by DarkCorax; 2014-09-05 at 09:49 AM.
    Takes avatar Requests Portfolio
    Spoiler
    Show

Trophies By LiB, Oblivion and Me

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: To Austria
    Show
    We would be overjoyed to provide hospitality for a visit to our isles, and in kind would be more than willing to send a representative to your lands. The Persian Islands are friends to all free, peaceful peoples, as the Austrians undoubtedly are, and we hope that friendship and cooperation can blossom freely among two nations so virtuous and forthright as ourselves. We will begin preparations for your arrival as swiftly as possible.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Magentawolf, Polynesia
    Show
    Our esteemed scientists have been reverse engineering some of your visitors craft in order to discover how to brave the oceans like you have in a glorious celebration of the upcoming Bak'tun. We would like to expand the tradition of the mighty Mayan people: Them Who Count the Days to the Doom, but would hate to risk our alliance on something so insignificant in the grand scheme as border problems.

tl;dr I'm about to finish Compass, and want to settle new lands. If you could provide maps or suggestions on where to build, or even just 'don't go here or fear my wrath,' that would be lovely.

Spoiler: Spectators, The Celebration of the 10th Bak'tun
    Show
    The lands flourished with science and faith at the close of the 10th Bak'tun. The almighty Techwarrior ordered a grand Academy to be constructed in honor of this most historic event to represent the progress he had led his people to.

Screenshots to follow.

It's a little late now, but I wanted to give an update since this seems like an appropriate time to do so. We just finished Education and started on Astronomy. The lands

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: To the Illustrious leader of Poland:
    Show
    Greetings, wise sir/madam! We are the sailing trireme Biscuit out of Ankh-Morpork. Our on-board wizard man with a spyglass has apparently seen one of your own vessels, and we thought we should introduce ourselves. A fellow from Ankh-Morpork should be down shortly to set up an embassy in your capital, if that's fine with you. Fair sailing!

Sincerely,

Captain Frond Leipzig
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

16. - Top - End - #196

Spoiler: @Techwarrior
    Show

The Shoshone lie to your west, while Austria claims the lands to your east. Our own settlements are South / Southwest of you. North is tundra.

You're in a bit of a barren spot, so I don't think I can suggest any particular spots to head towards. The island just to your NE has a slew of Atolls to its name, at least.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateCaptain

To Brazil:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes yes, feel free to visit the glorious library of Warsaw at you leisure just please remember to return the books before you leave.
    Also, you'd surely avoid scurvy if you all eat an orange

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: To Spectators
    Show
    Welcome back, friends, to the good ship misery.

The Capital got a Lighthouse up, which drastically improved the value of the tiles around it. It is still a pretty not good city, but I have to work with what I've got.

The second city also got a Lighthouse up, and all the tiles it can work have been improved. It's actually a semi-decent little town now. It's pumping out fishing boats for....

My new city. Once I get the Lighthouse up, and fishing boats down on the three fish, this place will grow like a weed. It's already doing fairly well for itself. It just needs time for the population and border growth to do their things.

Unfortunately Polynesia got to this site first. I'm always going to wonder whether I should have had both my cities spamming settlers to try and get more land rather than working to develop the cities I did had. Maybe it was feasible to get here before Polynesia and I just dropped the ball. Maybe not. Either way, I'm pretty much surrounded by other empires now with little room to grow. It's gonna be a tough road ahead.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Neonknight
    Show

From what I can see, you're really only surrounded by Polynesia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: To Spectators
    Show
    That is true, and I have to remember in my gloom and doom that not every spot has been snatched up yet. But you can't go too far east before you start hitting Polish turf, and they're the absolute number 1 power in the game with two size 14 cities. The shallow coastal water also makes this a little deceptive, as there is a big dead spot of deep ocean to my immediate east. The band of coast wraps around to the south east, and so is generally less than optimal tundra. I'm already trying to pick out a new settlement spot to rush for, but I'm also trying to get sea caravans up for some gold income.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: To Brazil
    Show
    We thank you for your offer of wines, however we currently have no need of them.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkCorax View Post

Spoiler: To Brazil
    Show
    We thank you for your offer of wines, however we currently have no need of them.
    Spoiler: To Austria:
    Show
    Very well, we shall look elsewhere for a partner to benefit from the profits of our trade.

- Patrician Pedro
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

From another thread, copied from the GMR Facebook page:

"As many of you have noticed GMR is completely down! Our web server has experienced a rare double-disk failure and we'll need to rebuild everything from scratch. We do have off-site backups of the database and save files that we'll be restoring, unfortunately they're almost two months old. We're terribly sorry for the inconvenience and how much this will set your games back!"

24. - Top - End - #204

For my turn, I've uploaded my most recent save file, which appears to be from 11/20 and turn 128.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Orc in the Playground

Ok, not sure what it did, but I'm pretty sure the AI has killed my Civ while I was in holiday mode over Christmas. I'll have another look after work, but I don't think this worth me salvaging.

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

So, yeah, I left a stable, if not particularly strong Civ and came back to this:

-15 gold a turn, 10 unhappiness so no city growth, I'm pretty sure the knights are from revolts and I've got no happiness or money buildings left to build atm.

Edit: So I've worked out what the AI has done, it used Royal Marriage to annex my Allied city state which has tanked my happiness and wrecked my trade routes.
    Last edited by DarkCorax; 2015-01-06 at 01:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Had to Revert Turn again
    (\__/)

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

In honor of the new Bak'tun, our delegates to the World Congress propose that we venerate our history. Let Cultural Heritage Sites be in order, such that we better remember the past to protect the future.

Spectator update will be next turn.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

Public Message to Polynesia:
    We have spotted your advancing warships, and request that you remove them from our seas immediately. Our people abhor violence, but will not hesitate to defend ourselves from any aggressive military movements you make towards the Mayan People.

29. - Top - End - #209

It has been long since our sailors have seen the Mayan shores, you would begrudge them the sightseeing opportunities?

Of course, I believe the saying is.. 'You, and what army?'

30. - Top - End - #210
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey, do you guys need replacements?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.