New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default [PF] - Reign of Winter

PART ONE: AN EARLY FROST

Our adventure begins near the village of Höden, a small village surrounding Duskwood Manor just north of the forests that line the Gray Wastes of Mistbarrow Isle. The air is crisp, and as you leave the ship to come ashore via a small boat, you can see small ice bergs floating alongside you. The manor along with the collection of houses that line the shore are all snow capped, and at every corner you can see a cauldron lit with flame, the people huddling about for warmth. Rinessa, Faedrath, Alexander, and Khaleesha all recall their odd circumstances which brought them here as the skiff rocks back and forth in the shallows and makes land on the snow dusted beach. From here Höden greets them with it's dreary gates.

Before they disembark, the skiff master speaks:
    "Welcome to the sleepy village of Höden me traveling mates. This place has rarely seen so much excitement or concern as is these days. Hunters from the border woods used to speak of unnatural cold every so often, which is a bit ironic now considering that it's at the height of summer."

He scratches his rough gray beard a moment, "Aye, it all began just days ago. Another word from the hunters of a chill in the air, but this time was different. Heavy snow soon followed, and those hunters what that went out, only few had returned. Those who did spoke of an uneasy presence in the woods, as well as, dangerous predators not from these parts; and not the undead kind that we're used to recievin. Old Mother Theodora, claim dark times lie ahead, but all them witches are the same. Doom and gloom, doom and gloom. You've certainly picked a wretched time to come here, but here you go. I'd suggest warming up at Elmwood Tavern, good drink, good women."

With that he departs back to the ship.

Spoiler
    Show
    Here you go, this adventure will take you all over the place (dimensions, worlds, time, etc.) So i figured i'll start you in Traumer and see what happens ^^

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: [PF] - Reign of Winter

Faedrath: this is the height of summer? why do people bother to live here?
    Rinnessa: oh quit whining, brother. you know how these humans are, they'll live anywhere if there's coin in it.
    Alexander: Not just for coin, some people like nature as much as any elf. says defiently
    carefull sister, i think you offended him faedrath says in jest
    oh he knows I'm just teasing
    all the while, the young catfolk Kaleesha stares hungrily at a barrel of fish. as she walks up and grabs one to eat, she is noticed by Alexander
    Kaleesha, what do i say about stealing
    caught in her "crime" she sheepishly puts the fish down
    Kaleesha: not to... but no buts, if your hungry you can wait untill we get to the tavern
    Kaleesha lets out a sigh ok... but as soon as alex returns to paying the captain for the trip she snatches up the fish and shoves it in her mouth
    (her slight of hand(1d20+7(14) vs his perception(1D20+2(9) (i think thats how that works))

after finishing business at the dock the group heads to the tavern make arrangements for their stay and sit down at a table.
    remind me again what we are doing here?
    the guild received report of a disturbance here, they gave the contract to you. Myself and Kaleesha, as childish as she may be, have been in the guild for several years now. it is standard procedure for a veteran to accompany new members on their first assignment. two newbies, two veterans
    that's all well and good but why are we here, in this town. why couldn't we get an easy job where its warm, like the lighting dessert back on dragon claw
    come now brother, you said you wanted to travel.
    no, i said i wanted to travel to fun and interesting places, that last part is important
    believe me, the lightning dessert is neither...wheres Kaleesha
    while the rest of the group was talking kaleesha got board and started wandering around, a pile of shiny coins catches her eyes. she creeps up to the men who are intent on their card game, and while everyone around the table is more interested in the rather large pile of coins on the table, kaleesha is focused on the coin bags on their belts. just as she is in position to cut the purse Kaleesha! the man turns ey! wot you on about kaleesha quickly hides her dagger and retreats to Alexander
    come on Alex i almost had it
    alexander just sighs (this undoubtedly is a common occurrence)
    kaleesha's ears flatten and she makes a pouting face
    no kaleesha, that's not going to work this time
    i was gonna put it back
    put what back
    kaleesha has a bad habit of taking things that aren't hers
    she steals a lot?
    nu'uh i rarely keep money, unless i need it
    than whats the point of stealing?
    that's not the point here...
    'cus i can
    just because you can doesn't mean you should... rinnessa help me out here
    oh no... this is too fun to watch
    alexander pinches the bridge of his nose
    just...just sit where i can see you kaleesha
    and with that, food has arived
    Last edited by Alesterryku; 2014-06-03 at 05:43 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Perception
    Show

rinnessa +7 (26)
    alex +2 (7)
    kat +6 (8)
    faedrath +2 (18)

As the group converses amongst themselves, Alexander and Khaleesha are busy fussing. Faedrath and Rinnessa on the other hand perk up as their elvish hearing begins picking up disturbing rumors.

Spoiler: Perception 5+
    Show

"Oy, the weather aint spose to be like this, I have a farm to tend, how am i spose to feed me family!"
    "Aye, bet this weather's got somethin ta do with them Vandreskans down south. Damned Vampire kin always meddling with magic in ways that mess up the natural order o' things."

Spoiler: Perception 10+
    Show

"Whats that? Old man Dan is having some issues again?
    "I know whats i be seein, someone is stealin most o' me crops, well the ones what havn't died from the snow already."
    "Well when yours is the closest farm to borders of the forests you'd have to expect these things from time to time."
    "Aye, dark places them. Only the Gray Sentinels go out there."
    "But how am i spose to feed me family? or me cows?"

Spoiler: Perception 12+
    Show

"Its a shame to hear about your son Samuel. I hope he gets better soon."
    "I just don't understand the imagination of boys these days. First he says spots a talking white stag in the forest, then has gall to go chasing after this creature."
    "Well at least he didn't die when he fell through the ice at Ivorstone Creek. He's lucky... You think there's any truth to what he said?"
    "He's just a boy, Ben. Have you ever heard of talking albino stags?... no? didn't think so. I'll go check up on him later."

Spoiler: Perception 18+
    Show

"Did you hear about that bandit attack a few days ago?"
    "Shhh, no one here needs to know that the Lady Argentea was abducted!"
    "I know, I know, I just find it odd that the Gray Sentinels were unable to protect her from mere bandits."
    "...Yeah, i guess they aren't as elite as we all thought they were."
    "makes you wonder if they can protect us at all. From bandits, from the forest, from what's beyond..."
    "shhh"
    "oh, sorry"

Spoiler: Perception 20+
    Show

"Have you heard back from Dryden yet?"
    "No, he's been gone a week now... you don't think..."
    "He's a Sentinel, he can take care of himself. Truthfully i was a bit surprised when he stormed off to High Ridge to prove himself."
    "Makes me feel guilty I didn't believe his Giant White Weasel story."
    "Well it did sound a bit off, but we've been hearing stranger stuff these past few days"

"Ev'nen boys and girls", says a young half-elf girl, as she elegantly approaches the table her blonde curls bouncing delicately on her shoulders. She skillfully places a few bottles of ale, some glazed bread, wedge cheese, and fresh cod from the rivers on the table. "Courtesy of his lordship, Ion Teppen. He thanks you for making your way out here. We all do"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hope you like the way i handled this, there was a lot of information to put down depending on how high you rolled... and your elves rolled well.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

thank you miss, and where might we find lord Teppen?
    as Alex chats up the waitress and Kaleesha eats the elf siblings have a conversation of their own

looks like this town is more fun than you thought brother.
    I'll say. bandits, vampires, abductions, fun for all ages
    (screwing with timelines a bit but this is after any conversation with the waitress)
    we're not here to have fun
    aren't you a spoil sport
    come now brother, he has a point just look at the cat girl. she's the pinnacle professionalism
    Kaleesha perks up Do what now?
    Alex gives renessa a sour look
    ok. ok. just kidding. but in all seriousness this town isn't as quiet as it may seem
    she fills them in on all she heard, feardrath helping out as well.
    that doesn't sound good
    no, it doesnt. let us finish our food and meet with lord Teppen. maybe then we will get our bearings on whats going on here

Spoiler
    Show
    just for clarity that last half is after any conversation with busty waitress. sorry to screw up the time line. I'll get the doctor right on it.
    also i decided to make Kaleesha 16 instead of 19. doesn't affect stats or any thing. just makes more sense.
    Last edited by Alesterryku; 2014-06-03 at 08:46 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"His lordship can be found in Duskwood keep just down the road. He has also scribed a written pass for your group to move freely about the town and keep. If anyone harasses you, please present it to them." the waitress says as she preens her hair with her fingers a bit, admiring Alexander's proud demeanor. "If you need anything else, just ask for Lola". She says with a wink, bows deeply with the now empty platter in hand, and scampers off to another table, but not before leaving the rolled piece of parchment with a wax seal, the emblem of a raven on the table.

(some time skipage as well)

The group makes their way through the streets which are somewhat scarce of people due to the chill. Indeed everyone can feel the biting wind from off the coast, and the sting of the cold air. As they approach the keep they note two very miserable looking guards standing watch at the gates. A cauldron of fire between them to keep them warm. It doesn't seem to help much, judging by their expression. "ugh, you take this" one guard says to the other, "halt!, present your credentials and you may pass... uhhh who are you people?"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

We, good sirs, are the from adventurer's guild from dragon claw island. we are here to talk to lord Teppen about recent troubles. you will find that our papers are in order.

Spoiler
    Show
    yay time line is back in order. thanks doctor.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The guard rubs his shoulders a bit and examines the document, noting the seal. "Aye, seems in good order. You may pass, just dont try any funny business. Everyone's been on edge a bit recently". The signal is given, and the large imposing doors open revealing the barren courtyard beyond. He directs you to pass.

As you enter through the large stoned gates and into the courtyard proper, a waste of gray sediment; the inner walls lined with various supplys: hay for the animals, weapons and armor for the knights, and a cauldron by every guard post waiting to be lit when the position is occupied. Things are certainly different from what was described in the report. Duskwood is not the western temperate zone you'd originally expected, and it seems evident that this wintry weather is something the locals are not well prepared for, despite their attempt at adapting. After a moment, a brown haired and dapperly dressed young attendant comes out to greet the group. "Ah yes, you must be the requested group from Dragon Claw, your timing is impeccable. The council is currently hearing a report from one of our returned sentinels, i believe it might be of interest for you to hear."

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess it bears mentioning, that at least on my map of Traumer, Dragon Claw is a North Western zone, not so far north as to get icy, but probably a climate like the US, where there are sections of the northern tip that get pretty cold, but it's mostly temperate, forests, a desert here and there. America really has just about every climate, which is probably why it's such a great place for dragons to live. The Mistbarrow Isle however is a bit more southern. Still forested, but the area usually hovers around 70-80 degrees (F). During summers it can jump up to around 90 and 100 degrees, and winters usually only go around 40 to 50, with the occasional drop to around 30 for a slight dusting (I'd think of Georgia climate, but you've never lived there...). Right now the climate is where the temperatures are a pretty steady 20 to 30. There is snow around but it's not super heavy. Most of the snowfall is around the forests. In fact the closer you get to the forests the more wintry it gets.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

as they walk through the gate (before they meet the attendant) Alex looks around shocked and grasping the fact that there's snow (a bit of it from the sound of it) in the middle of summer
    Alright, this cant be normal. where is this place again?
    its actually south east of dragon claw. by all accounts it should be warmer
    warmer? This place is freezing!

they meet the attendant

yes thank you. please lead the way

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The attendant leads you to the main hold, a large stone structure towards the back of the courtyard, nestled between two towers standing at least 50ft above you, and a good 30ft above the hold itself. When you enter, you are met with fine furnishings of all sorts. A plush red carpet draws it's way down the center isle to a set of double doors inlaid with gold, the sigil of the raven on them. To your sides you see all manner of stuffed creatures: bears, deer, wild cats, and at the front of it all, a large black dragon's head mounted above the door.

The attendant opens the door and you are witness to a council of 7. 3 well dressed nobles sit at either side of a tall dark man with shaggy black hair and a well trimmed goatee. He is dressed in black velvet, and atop his head is a crown of gold; his seat is far beyond the wealth of the other lords. Despite lord Teppen's presence; another individual standing alone in the middle of the room gains your attention. A large northman black, blue, and bloody from combat. His left hand and part of his face appear frostbitten, and he has been wrapped in bandages. Though the bleeding seems to have stopped, his injurys appear to be serious. Most serious of which seems to be a missing right arm.

Spoiler: The Council Meeting
    Show

"Mi'lords, I Yuln Oerstag bring you news of the Lady Argentea's abduction"

Teppen speaks, "You were chiefest amoung her Sentinels Oerstag, where is my daughter, and where is the rest of the caravan"

"She is taken Mi'lord. While on our return through the wood from Zimar, we were beset upon by bandits"

"You mean to tell me, the best armed and most well trained soldiers in all the Mistbarrow Isles were overcome by bandits?"

"They wern't normal bandits. Would that I could return the lady to you, and my ancestors would ridicule my lack of valor for fleeing an enemy rather than fighting to the end. But I faced enemies even the greatest warriors among the tribes of the Linnorm Kingdoms have faltered against, and though i think I slew a few before they dragged the lady away, as you can see from my injuries I was unable to pursue."

The council whispers amoungst themselves a moment.

"Are you the last of the guard?"
    "Aye, the only survivor..."

"Who attacked you?""
    "We thought they were just bandits at first-outlaws who hide like wolves in the forest. They were no match for us. But then came the cold fey of the north. They appeared among us and the battle turned quickly. My people speak of the winter-touched all the time, but I never expected to meet them this far south."

"What are the "winter-touched"?
    "Fey creatures who have sworn themselves to the White Witches of Elvanna, Queen of the Always Winter. Those who stole our lands from us during the Winter Wars. Tiny sprites no taller than the length of a man's forearm. But don't be fooled by their small stature. Legends say they have taken a sliver of ice into their hearts, and their touch bears the harsh bite of winter."

"Where did they take Lady Argentea?"
    "Into the forest, back through the ice and snow. Beyond that, I don't know. I followed as far as I could, but the winter-touched were too many and too hard to fend off in the snow alone. I barely escaped, and rode to seek help and reinforcements here."

"Why would they want Lady Argentea?"
    "I don't know. But if one of the White Witches took her, no good shall come of it. The winter-touched do nothing without the leave of those who placed the ice in their hearts. If they're here, it's because a White Witch sent them. And much worse will follow."

Teppen sighs with a heavy heart, "That is all Oerstag, you are of no use to us right now in your condition. You may take your leave to the Apothacary and heal."

The Northman hobbles off, and after a moment, Lord Teppen, King of the Duskwood beckons the party forth.
    Last edited by auska89; 2014-06-05 at 08:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

the group approaches with Alexander at the head. when they approach lord teppen the group kneels

greetings Lord Teppen. I am Alexander, Paladin of the dragon god-king Bahamut, and these are my companions. we come from the Adventurer's Guild of the Shinning Empire of Dragon claw

Spoiler
    Show
    a question comes to mind. how much of this is from the book? because that council meeting was great.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I recognize the sigil of your house Alexander. Long have the Gold, and the Silver of Dragon Claw come to the aid of the Mistbarrow Isles. I still remember when Rugarth the Silver single handedly laid waste to the seiging armies of the Lich Belia, and stopped the encroaching dead from clawing their way ever north. Truthfully though, when I had requested aid, it had been for this mystery weather, not some scandal of White Witches and adbuctions. I used to be an adventurer myself back in my youth, and I can see the events unfold in a most telling way. There is a touch of foul magic in the air. I can sense it."

He shifts uncomfortably, "I would, in light of recent events request that you bolster the defense of my house, and the Duskwood. Retrieve my daughter, and determine the source of this damned winter. Find out whoever this Winter Witch may be, why it orchestrated this disaster, why it stole my daughter, and bring me it's head. You will of course be compensated for your hard work."

His eyes move to the rest of the group.

"I dont believe the rest of you have been introduced. You of course know who I am"

Spoiler
    Show
    Honestly, it's probly about half and half. I embellish a bit for the sake drama, setting, things i think would make it more interesting. Your group strikes me as a speacial request, and i like the idea that you are here for a purpose and not just stumbling into an adventure. This place is actually just supposed to be some hamlet, but i like a the idea of adding nobility into the mix. The northman is stated to be badly injured, and frostbitten, other than that, i figured i'd embellish a bit. The council's questions were supposed to be a one on one with Yuln, and the PC's but i liked the idea of the party being part of the scenery. Besides, you might not have asked all the right questions and gotten the goodies. You will still get a chance to talk with Yuln though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

the group steps up intern to formally introduce themselves

I am Rinessa of house Naebronel, sorceress from the elven city of Tyria'ros. and this is my brother...

Faedrath, also of house Naebronel, trained in the ways of the dragon shamen by Lord Silverwing himself

and I am Kaleesha...of...uh..

she's my adopted daughter

Spoiler
    Show
    thats actually pretty cool.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Teppan regards the group, you can see a look of approval on his worried brow. "Rinnessa, Faedrath, Kaleesha, and Alexander; good luck on your hunt. Make no waste of your time in this, the Lady Argentea's life may well depend on your haste. You may purchase any items you will require on your journey from our quartermaster, additionally he will supply you with fur for your journey. I imagine you will find yourselves somewhat out of your element as you approach the woods. You may speak with Yuln if you'd like further information on what you might find. He will probably know best, but keep it brief. He needs to recover. You will find him in the Apothecary being taken care of by Maester Safander."

Teppen and the council nod their heads in acknowledgement, and bid you leave.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going for a kind of Jarl Balgruf of Whiterun for Teppen, a stern and hard man, but practical and cares about his subjects.
    Last edited by auska89; 2014-06-05 at 10:42 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

as the group exits the room Alex gives out orders to get prepared for the journey

Rinnessa, you and your brother are in charge of supplies. ropes, rations, if you think we need it, get it, but only what we can carry. kaleesha and I will talk to Yuln, I don't want any surprises.

Spoiler: Shopping list
    Show
    • backpack X4 8Gp 8Lbs
    • bedroll X4 4Sp 20Lbs
    • Flint & steel 1Gp --- Lbs
    • Travel rations X20 200Sp 20Lbs
    • waterskin X4 4Gp 16Lbs
    • rope, silk 10Gp 5Lbs
    • Medium tent X2 30Gp 60Lbs
    • Total: 53Gp, 204Sp 133Lbs

Alex and kaleesha make there way to the apothecary
    Yuln, i need to know what we are up against. what are these "winter-touched"?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yuln winces in pain as Maester Safander removes some of the corrupted tissue.

"You lot are the group from Dragon Claw right?", he blinks a few times to focus his vision on Alexander, then on Kaleesha. "Odd pairing"

The hardy northman coughs into his hands a few times, and wipes the blood away from his beard.

"They be Fey creatures of the White Witches. Be aware, they are small, but lethal. The only proper way to deal with em is through a cold iron weapon, or burning fire. Both of these they fear."

Yuln looks hard at Alexander

"Ye seem to be a man of action... one i can trust", he notices the Great Maul strapped to Alexander's back. "I'm of no use to ye right now, but I lost the Lady Argentea so it's my responsibility to bring her back."

Yuln looks to where his right arm used to be almost angrily. "I'll loan ye my hammer Drobilka. Tis the only reason I was able to make it out o' there".

Yuln reaches over the table and pulls a large Maul about the size of the one Alexander is carrying. The stem is finely crafted from oaken wood, with a gnarled hand-like grip on a block of pale iron that comprises the head. The iron is inlaid with various runes that seem to shimmer and dance.

"She's Crusher in the common tongue, and effective at smashing the unnatural fairys o' my homeland. I'll be expectin my hammer back, along with the Lady if ye dont mind, so be quick about it. Best start in the forests due south o' here."

Spoiler
    Show
    It's dangerous to go alone, take this! "Recieve a Mwk Cold Iron Great Club"
    It's supposed to be a Sword, but in this case it could also make sense to be a hammer since he's a barbarian after all. They like to go with the smash smash.

Feel free to continue chatting him up

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

thank you very much. i will bring her back, and a paladin always keeps his word

they head out of the apotocary to let him rest meeting up with rinnesa and faerdrath outside the quatermaster's shop(? office?)

thats a lot of stuff you got she says with a smile

dont make fun too soon little one. your carrying some of it
    the smile fades from her face
    dont worry, its not much. besides faedrath and i are going to carry the tents

says who
    says me. and i'll hear nothing of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    see what i mean when i say i can get a bit talky

after they distribute the packs alex fills them in on the situation, and faedrath, taking that into account activates his energy sword aura (which FYI his totem energy would be fire)

Spoiler
    Show
    i cant seem to find what masterwork does to a weapon. does it give +1 to attack?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'll take that as a "lets take a trip to the woods where all the bad stuff happened"

As you leave the border of Höden, some of the townsfolk gather at your backs, you can hear some whispering and wondering whether or not this group will come back.

As you walk south along the frostbitten fields for a bit, you can see the damage this weather has done to the surrounding area. Where normally crops would be in full harvest, most are limp and dead. The apple orchards are barren with preserved fruit here and there, frozen like marbles on the grass. On the horizon, you can see the forest. The forest is different from the rest of the surrounding area though. Where the grass is frosted, and the dirt is hard from cold; the area just outside the forest is piled 6 inches high with snow as if a snow drift had piled it all there. As you get closer, the temperature drops as well. Where when in Höden it was around 30 degrees and you were moderatly comfortable in your furs, it now feels to be around 10 or 15, and the chill is uncomfortable.

You arrive at the edge of the forest. The wind is frigid inside, and your faces are red with the chill. You can almost hear whispers on the wind, almost voiceless in it's howling silence. There are signs of the carriage that had passed through just days before, but they are quite old and the snow has hidden it's direction masterfully.

(This is Hour 0; once you enter the forest and every hour you remain you must make a fort save with a +5 due to the furs, i'll give Kaleesha an extra +1 because she already has fur
    Additionally i'll want you to make a survival check until you find the site. The snow is thick here, so movement is halved, and because of the wind and snowfall, your perception checks and ranged attacks are at -4. Every post you make while here should include a survival check and whatever RP you want to add in. Each check will represent an hour of searching.)

Spoiler
    Show
    I stopped you at the entrance of the woods so you could RP some before going in. It's cold out there folks, i hope you brought some hot chocolate ;)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Fort for hour0
    alexander (1D20+9(16))
    rinnesa (1D20+7(22))
    Kalesha (1D20+7(17))
    Faedrath (1D20+9(13))

survival for party
    Alexander (1D20+1(19))
    Rinnesa (1D20+1(12))
    Kaleesha (1D20+0(3)
    Faedrath (1D20+4(24))
    (too bad skill checks dont crit )

this is worse than i imagined. the snow here has to be 2 feet deep, at least

aye, that. Alright, here's the plan. we will walk in single file, Faedrath, your the strongest so you will be in front. then it will be kaleesha and rinnessa in the middle and i will be in back. all of you can see and hear better than me so keep your eyes and ears open
    that almost sounded like you were in the military.
    i was, in a sense, but stories can come later
    kaleesha quietly complies to the orders, all mirth sapped out by the cold

the group pushes in to the snowbank each clearing the path for the next
    Last edited by Alesterryku; 2014-06-05 at 04:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As you go deeper into the forest, the temperature grows noticeably colder. All are keeping well despite the gnawing cold with the exception of Faedrath. His elvish constitution is failing him, and as the minutes go by he can feel the cold numbing his entire body (take 6 nonlethal damage, rolled high...), he drifts to the side of the group and stumbles a bit, needing to catch his breath. As he kneels over, he find bits and pieces of a carriage and tattered pieces of clothing which lead you to the road where Lady Argentea's carriage had been attacked. When you step out from between a copse of trees you are greeted with a grisly sight. The road is littered with debris and the corpses of slain humans and horses. Two wolves note your arrival, and dart off into the woods carrying with them pieces of the deceased. A carriage stands in the roadway, its team of horses missing or cut free, while another overturned carriage lies sprawled and broken next to the tree line. To the south, more bodies have fallen around what appears to be a statue of ice. A snowy trail leads deeper into the forest.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've sent you the map, now you have to explore the field, don't forget to let me know where everyone is located so i can place them on my map. In your post, include a fort save, and a perception roll for everyone.

Faedrath is suffering from Hypothermia. He is fatigued (Can't run, or charge, and -2 str/dex penalty) until he gets warmed up and cured of the non-lethal damage, if he continues to take the effects of the cold he will become frostbitten.

Feel free to RP his declining health due to the cold, it's dangerous in here :$

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Fort for hour 1
    alexander (1D20+9(25))
    rinnesa (1D20+7(23))
    Kalesha (1D20+7(26))
    Faedrath (1D20+9(14))(fort saves hate him )

preception
    alexander (1D20+2(12)-4(8))
    rinnessa (1D20+7(27)-4(23))
    Kaleesha (1D20+6(10)-4(6))
    Faedrath (1D20+2(6)-4(2)) (your killing me smalls )

trudging through the snow on point really starts to take its toll on faedrath

this...bloody...cold...is going...to be the death of me
    he says through chattering teeth and labored breath
    a few yards later he trips over a root and falls face first into the so.

fae!
    as they help faedrath up they see tatters of cloth
    i think...we found... what we're looking for
    alexander and Rinnessa help faedrath to his feet
    lets not worry about that now
    whats wrong with him?
    hypothermia. its not that bad, but it's only going to get worse out here
    anything i can do, to help?
    yea make sure were alone here, im gong to break up peices of the coach for fire wood. but first...
    cure light (1D8+1(3))

(assuming no baddies pop out alexander gets to work smashing parts of the wagon to make firewood)
    Spoiler
    Show
    character positions: alexander C5, faedrath C6 (leaning against the carriage), Rinnessa B6, Kaleesha E5 (completely failing as a spotter if the perception roll has anything to do with it)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As Alexander begins smashing up some pieces of the carriage (A1 we will call it :P) he finds two young handmaidens who had been trapped inside. From what he can gather it seems that the two girls were locked in after the attack had ended and left to freeze to death. Between them is an open chest containing spare clothing and some gold pieces. (gain 3 courtier outfits and 90gp)

Rinessa's elvish hearing again comes to her aid as over the howling wind she can hear "sounds" emanating from further down the path east. Dull scratching and the occasional thump against frozen wood. Kaleesha being on point and closest to the source of the sound, hears and sees nothing except how cold it is... and snow, she finds lots of snow.

Faedrath seems to be succumbing to the cold rapidly, the red look of chill on his face is beginning to turn blue.
    (take 5 more non-lethal damage, if he loses consciousness and fails another one, I'll have to give him frostbite)
    Spoiler
    Show

For your next post, there is no need to roll fort. I'll need to know what your actions are and what piece of the map you are investigating. Still working towards hour 2, you've been out and about in the forest for about 1 1/2 ish hours by this point.

(forgot to mention, Cure light only heals lethal damage. to heal non-lethal you need a spell like lesser regenerate or some such. Your spell is not expended, He needs warmth and rest.)
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasterin...nlethal-Damage Relevant info.)
    (disregard last :P, Faedrath is currently at: 8/13 non-lethal damage. once he reaches his max hp, he goes staggered, then unconcious) (0/13 + 6 - 3 + 5 = +11 - 3 = +8 = 5 remaining)
    (Also forgot to mention! On the bodies you see small needle looking protrusions made of ice.)
    Last edited by auska89; 2014-06-05 at 08:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

*CRACK* the hammer weighs heavily into the frozen wood. breaking into the cabin of the wagon
    *sigh*forgive me ladies but your cloths will make good tinder. [yelling]how's he doing rinnesa?
    hurry he's getting worse!

hey Kaleesha i think i heard something ahead of you, be careful.

what? i didn't hear anything.
    Just go check it out, i'm not leaving my brother.

too cold to argue Kaleesha heads toward the direction Rinnesa indicated

after a few more minutes of smashing, alexander makes a substantial pile of wood. using the torn garments from the corpses as tinder, as well as the the flint and steel, a fire is created. (that is unless that a roll is needed, my guess would be survival. so in that case 1d20+1 (14))
    Last edited by Alesterryku; 2014-06-05 at 09:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Totally Meta information, but where is Kaleesha going? and what is she doing? (Is she investigating the other carriage is the question)
    (Whenever she gets over there i'll give her another perception check)
    Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show
    Spoiler: did you roll greater than 15?
    Show
    Spoiler: If yes then...
    Show
    There is movement and frantic noises from the inside. Sounds like nails digging at the wood.

Alexander is able to successfully build a decent fire. which seems to warm Faedrath a bit. (i'd only have you roll survival if you didnt have tools to make fire)(he will be hypothermic until all non-lethal dmg is gone though, but what i will do is reset the fort save difficulty. The DC goes up every hour without heat so it gets progressively harder.)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

kaleesha, not knowing exactly what, exactly, she is looking for meanders slowly to the other wagon. as she gets closer, her keen ears (finally) hear the frantic noises of the survivor

Alex! we go a survivor!

I'll be right there he yells. he then covers faedrath with a bed roll as a makeshift blanket (i knew i should have bought one) and heads over to Kaleesha

at this point Kaleesha and Alexander are at cart A2 (grid mark J5 and I5 respectively)

Spoiler
    Show
    just a reminder, kaleesha does have sent. if that helps anything in the future. but seriously, how does someone with the same perception bonus as an elf fail so hard. and on that not how does someone whos totem dragon is MADE OF LAVA fail so hard at keeping warm

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alexander and Kaleesha hearing the frantic noises, release the bolts to the cabin. This was a mistake as the survivors... are no longer alive. Two zombified handmaidens burst from the now open carriage and lunge onto the two unsuspecting heroes embracing them in a grapple, slobbering mouths snapping at their faces. "foooooooodddd"

Grapple CMB vs. Alexander = d20+4(14) = 18
    Grapple CMB vs. Kaleesha = d20+4 (18) = 22

Roll init

Edit: zombies at I5 and J5 (Grapple moves you into the opponents square)
    Last edited by auska89; 2014-06-05 at 10:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

AAAAAAAAHHH! NOT SURVIVORS! NOT SURVIVORS!

Rinnesa, help!

Rinnesa peaks around the overturned cart to see her comrades in trouble.

init
    alexander 18
    kaleesha 12
    rinnesa 11
    faedrath-indesposed

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: Init Order
    Show
    Alexander: 18
    Zombie 1: 14 (I5)
    Kaleesha: 12
    Rinessa: 11
    Zombie 2: 9 (J5)
    Faedrath: -

Alexander is up then, the zombie that's trying to eat his face.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Alexander tries to break free of the zombies grasp (CMD 1D20+3(13)

(my dice hate me today)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alexander struggles against the undead creature, but despite the fact that she was once a beautiful, young handmaiden, she now has a monstrous strength, and a hunger about her. She firmly grips Alexanders wrists pinning them against his chest as she nestles in close for a taste of paladin.
    (CMB to deal damage: d20+4 (13) = 17; (bite 1d6+3 (8 damage) "fooooodddd"

Kaleesha is up.

Spoiler: Open if panic button
    Show
    On Alexander's next turn, i'll allow you to burn your smite in order to assist in getting out of the grapple. (DM ruling ATM) you would add Cha mod + level to grapple roll, and if you succeed, you will deal unarmed damage + 2x your level damage to the creature.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

I dont want to be zombie food!
    she says as she struggles fruitlessly against the unnatural strength of the zombie (grapple break 1D20+2(14))

Rinessa moves up to D5 and cast grease on Alex's zombie attacker

Spoiler
    Show
    question: Faedrath is indisposed but not unconscious that means his energy blade aura is still up right?
    Last edited by Alesterryku; 2014-06-05 at 10:55 PM.