New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

You know what I find weird? People referring to the general location of Ashenia, et al, as "The North" when it is in fact "The West". Well... Northwest to be precise... That works with Bordeux and Sulvan's fury, but neither Ashenia nor Crima are particularly more North than most places, especially when compared with the rest of the Continental West (which in this instance includes Celero and Meraska).
    I knew there was something I needed to bring up when we were naming the Union of the North...
    Hehe, maybe change it into the North-West alliance?

Also, I second the notion to keep it simple for the time being. Morph is busy enough, although Wombat is doing a hell of a job Co-GMing. A badge well deserved mate! (Although it is not exactly pretty...)
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-01-31 at 11:47 AM.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

2. - Top - End - #872
    Ettin in the Playground

Attention all who were planning on making an alliance with me during the ball. As the round is ending Saturday at midnight, and I don't have much time on saturday to post, lets speed things up. I think right now that is avr, rain dragon, and waylander. Any others, let me know or RP "a time when gareth is free". Sorry to cut it short, but I do not wish to miss the deadline.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2014-01-31 at 12:35 PM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #873

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Attention all who were planning on making an alliance with me during the ball. As the round is ending Saturday at midnight, and I don't have much time on saturday to post, lets speed things up. I think right now that is avr, rain dragon, and waylander. Any others, let me know or RP "a time when gareth is free". Sorry to cut it short, but I do not wish to miss the deadline.
    Actually, I'd like to ally as well, but Loki's busy IC and probably will stay that way. Can we make a treaty OOC and say it happened the next day or something?

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

On that note: Feel free to continue RPing in the current threads even after the round's end if you wish. However, any agreements should be settled before the end of the round. After that, you can still just have fun, define characters or build relationships for later rounds.

For those who make trade agreements, make sure to state what you are trading and what for, otherwise it will not be taken up in the Countries post.

As for Special actions, as Lord_Burch inquired earlier, I figure it's better for the game if bonuses don't get added until the end of the round. So if you start a round with Faith 3 and work to increase it with four actions, you can't spend your fifth action on creating a religion; you'll have to wait until the next round for that. This similarly goes for new rulers coming into play: they cannot do a Special action in the round they enter play. This is because in most cases I figure a new ruler will come into play in the middle of a round, which has the same effect as increasing attribute scores during a round (effectively, your scores change mid-round, and since actions can change a lot before the week's end I tend to check the details only on Sunday morning).

New players are exempt from this in the round they come into the game of course, because their attribute scores are apparent beforehand. The exception is a player whose ruler switches during their first round, then it functions the same as for everyone who's been playing longer.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    Actually, I'd like to ally as well, but Loki's busy IC and probably will stay that way. Can we make a treaty OOC and say it happened the next day or something?
    That's no problem at all, considering it's effectively part of the Grand Ball if it's only a day after the fact.

The Hangover Kings. Coming to a theater near you.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-01-31 at 01:20 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImperatorV View Post
    We can do a "Later that evening" spoiler to do that for later in the Ball?

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

So, what exactly does the Church of Fire preach? Aside from following Broly around and possibly being fighting monks.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    So, what exactly does the Church of Fire preach? Aside from following Broly around and possibly being fighting monks.
    The ten commandments of the Church of Fire.

1) Thou shalt kill it with fire.
    2) If something cannot burn, the fire is not hot enough.
    3) Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm today. Set him on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    4) To build a proper fire requires more than just gathering fuel, it requires a spark, be it lighting our homes or forging our destinies.
    5) Love is fire in our souls, so burn, baby, burn
    6) If you love something, set it free. If it returns, it loves you. If not, hunt it down and set it on fire.
    7) Zeal is the heat of the fire, but heretics burn longer
    8) ??
    9) ??
    10) ??
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2014-01-31 at 02:09 PM.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post

3) Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm today. Set him on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
    4) To build a proper fire requires more than just gathering fuel, it requires a spark, be it lighting our homes or forging our destinies.
    6) If you love something, set it free. If it returns, it loves you. If not, hunt it down and set it on fire.
    8) ??
    9) ??
    10) ??
    10) Profit.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ogre in the Playground

10) Profit.
    If profit is a commandment I'm sure the Doge of Guilder is converting as we speak.

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

*deep breath* So much stuff to quote here goes hope I don't die--

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    More of a general look around. He's more likely to recognize rulers from any portraits he may have seen.
    OK, cool. Well, we'll just have to see how this goes...

And if you're talking about a Death Star, you're probably going to need Gunung's help wayyyy down the line.

It will no doubt be delicious. I do wonder whether it will resemble realistic space travel, spelljammer, or Star [anything] or Mass Effect-like.
    I'm a huge ME fan myself. Meaning that if I did go for space travel, I'd do my best to explain it at a level roughly equivalent to that series. Or perhaps Attack on Titan's Maneuver Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    *Bronze is da Bombze*
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    I thought about that as well, but thought it would be easier to trade for or discover copper later. I'm very glad someone thought of this else I would've been proven wrong.

I like your way of thinking. Of course, by that stage I wonder how many strange twists and quirks Empire! space age has.
    Yup! Bronze is awesome. Now official.

Yeah, the early age is already going crazy with Waylander's stuff... and it would have been amazing with Bloodfire, but we have none right now.

I support this as head canon now. Who wants to be the Fire Nation?

On that note: Feel free to continue RPing in the current threads even after the round's end if you wish. However, any agreements should be settled before the end of the round. After that, you can still just have fun, define characters or build relationships for later rounds.

For those who make trade agreements, make sure to state what you are trading and what for, otherwise it will not be taken up in the Countries post.

As for Special actions, as Lord_Burch inquired earlier, I figure it's better for the game if bonuses don't get added until the end of the round. So if you start a round with Faith 3 and work to increase it with four actions, you can't spend your fifth action on creating a religion; you'll have to wait until the next round for that. This similarly goes for new rulers coming into play: they cannot do a Special action in the round they enter play. This is because in most cases I figure a new ruler will come into play in the middle of a round, which has the same effect as increasing attribute scores during a round (effectively, your scores change mid-round, and since actions can change a lot before the week's end I tend to check the details only on Sunday morning).
    OK, cool. Good to know. I have something like 5 new alliances over the course of this conference, and I'll do my best to PM them to your or note them in the next with Bold.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

11. - Top - End - #881
    Ettin in the Playground

8) ??
    9) ??
    10) ??
    Hm... Dunno how I feel about--

10) Profit.

If profit is a commandment I'm sure the Doge of Guilder is converting as we speak.
    Yeah. I think that we can get behind things up in this. Full speed ahead with paid conversions, kids! Just remember that you have to meet your dispensation quotas, or you're FIRED!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright then, I've got:

Allies:

Logic - speaking at me. PM me if you wanted to hash out
    Rain Dragon - wanting to speak to me, PM me to finalize our trade, and post it in the actions, so we get it official. We'll fluff later.
    Waylander & avr - we're doing our marriages in another action on my side, though you can fold yours into the ball as the arrangement, I think. I suppose I could too, but I kinda wanted the marriages their own event this round, and have our trade set up at the ball. I also wanted to up my diplomacy stat possibly, so there's that too. PM me the exact details so I can post them.
    ImperatorV - I'm open for business, just a PM away. Lets get it settled so I can put it on my action, and you on yours.

Enemies:

Samburke - I think we've broken the cherry on known enemies. My bad. Should be fun though!

World Building Projects:
    Magic

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ettin in the Playground

That... is a really weird way to put it, but I'm OK with it.

And by OK, I mean there will be a polite, monocle-wearing crew of blockading ships in your harbor soon. Enjoy!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

That... is a really weird way to put it, but I'm OK with it.

And by OK, I mean there will be a polite, monocle-wearing crew of blockading ships in your harbor soon. Enjoy!
    ...yeah, we'll see about that. Any allies I have, I'll be okay for now. I'll let you know if I need you. Right now it's just a blockade.

World Building Projects:
    Magic

15. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

...yeah, we'll see about that. Any allies I have, I'll be okay for now. I'll let you know if I need you. Right now it's just a blockade.
    Just to clarify it for his allies, I'm not actually stopping trade or anything. They are going to be a show of military force, but it's all fluff.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

16. - Top - End - #886

Just to clarify it for his allies, I'm not actually stopping trade or anything. They are going to be a show of military force, but it's all fluff.
    Ah, good. Dwarves aren't exactly great sailors, so stopping you could get… problematic.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    Ah, good. Dwarves aren't exactly great sailors, so stopping you could get… problematic.
    Clearly you just tunnel underneath and drain the sea.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Ettin in the Playground

Clearly you just tunnel underneath and drain the sea.
    I believe that that's a baaaad idea.

But no worries about the blockade. Think of it as a picket line.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

19. - Top - End - #889

All Netherlands!! NETHERLANDS....F*** YEAH!
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

20. - Top - End - #890
    Dwarf in the Playground

smile Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

The Church of Fire, or at least the Pryonic version, preaches that fire brings the light of civilization, that fire brings warmth and comfort, and that fire brings life. Fire can hurt, fire can kill, but fire is made to bring warmth and light and hope and life and faith and civilization and love and dreams and safety and all things. It can destroy, but it can purify and keep you alive on the coldest nights. It brings both life and death, light and shadow, wisdom and ignorance, destruction and creation, day and night. Though the words spoken by the monks may burn, it brings light.

Or so they preach. And so we know. For we are the burning faith, the one who have read the burning words and We. Bring. Light. A gift for all. But a duty for all as well.
    I hope that's not to clichéd.

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arutha View Post
    The Church of Fire, or at least the Pryonic version, preaches that fire brings the light of civilization, that fire brings warmth and comfort, and that fire brings life. Fire can hurt, fire can kill, but fire is made to bring warmth and light and hope and life and faith and civilization and love and dreams and safety and all things. It can destroy, but it can purify and keep you alive on the coldest nights. It brings both life and death, light and shadow, wisdom and ignorance, destruction and creation, day and night. Though the words spoken by the monks may burn, it brings light.

Or so they preach. And so we know. For we are the burning faith, the one who have read the burning words and We. Bring. Light. A gift for all. But a duty for all as well.
    I love the fact that someone's taking it... we need a fervent nation somewhere.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

22. - Top - End - #892

I hope that's not too clichéd.
    Looks very good to me. IC, Rasdis (or at least Mormaer Razkai) has some objections to it:

"Your fire of civilisation may serve you well above ground, but below, it kills. Start a fire in our mines, firedamp'll get you soon. The very air you breathe suddenly ignites. If that doesn't kill you, the smoke'll get you. Even the light it brings is a poison; we Dwarves see in the dark better than most, and we Razdissi are part elf so we're even better at it. Your fires destroy that, practically blinding even as it illuminates. Not only that, but it's far too visible. Light a beacon in a cave, you're going to bring a monster running. You Fire types are lighting a beacon in the universe; iron knows what that's going to call up."

Again, all this is IC; I actually like what you've done with the whole fire worshipping thing .

Oh, and that last bit sounds really foreshadowing. This must be utilised somehow…
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

23. - Top - End - #893
    Dwarf in the Playground

Herzog mode gogogo:

"Ah, Iron. Warmth to forge it, light to see it, life to wield it, and civilization to need it. Iron is strong, but fire makes it what it is, pure or made stronger. Iron is mighty, but with out will, none shall use it. With out hope, none will find it. It is mighty, but it is weak and lacks purpose. It needs a wielder to use it. And that person needs life and warmth and hope."

Edit: "do not call up what you cannot put down" is somthing i hope to end up saying in charecter sometime down the line. and fire is good for calling things, ergo burning circle. im keeping that name for later, just so ya'll know.

Edit 2: would it be bad to say "oh burn" in my best rebelious teen voice. cause thats rogars adition to the speach
    Last edited by Arutha; 2014-01-31 at 06:29 PM.

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

I will work it out more later this weekend and put up a formal post that I can then link somewhere in the OP.

Also, unintentionally the Blazing Avatar is now Broly and the Fire Lord? "I think the appropriate phrase in your country is osnap."

8) ??
    9) ??
    10) ??
    I can dig it.

Hm... Dunno how I feel about--

I am pleased. *steeples fingers*

Good that you noted. I might've actually blocked Lyradisian trade with Qarimos, Domhan Abhaile and Sympolemou!

I love that article now, as well as its follow-up. Throw in a watery overlord of the Netherworld in Empire, like the Drowned God of the Iron Islands, or a less maddening Cthulhu.

I like it. It's got a more rounded fluff to it than most standard fire or light fantasy faiths.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    Looks very good to me. IC, Rasdis (or at least Mormaer Razkai) has some objections to it:

"Your fire of civilisation may serve you well above ground, but below, it kills. Start a fire in our mines, firedamp'll get you soon. The very air you breathe suddenly ignites. If that doesn't kill you, the smoke'll get you. Even the light it brings is a poison; we Dwarves see in the dark better than most, and we Razdissi are part elf so we're even better at it. Your fires destroy that, practically blinding even as it illuminates. Not only that, but it's far too visible. Light a beacon in a cave, you're going to bring a monster running. You Fire types are lighting a beacon in the universe; iron knows what that's going to call up."

Again, all this is IC; I actually like what you've done with the whole fire worshipping thing .

Oh, and that last bit sounds really foreshadowing. This must be utilised somehow…
    Quite fitting the undergrounders. And yet, two of the three underground nations are underneath countries bordering the Blazing Temple's mountain host. The third underground nation being underneath a country that despises the Lord of Fire more than any other country. I love it.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

25. - Top - End - #895
    Ettin in the Playground

Just to clarify... We are allowed a curiosity five and a curiosity ten action once per reign?
    Because I have a kind of useless resource I want to introduce, as well as a useless technology later on if I can get my curiosity high enough.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

26. - Top - End - #896
    Dwarf in the Playground

smile Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

I like it. It's got a more rounded fluff to it than most standard fire or light fantasy faiths.
    Thanks . It was in part inspired by a post on the plaidhat fourms a year or two ago about the nature and duality of fire that I wish I could find again. The guy was using it in a novel he was writing, and it was realy cool. I have expanded on it, but thats where the gist of it comes from.

27. - Top - End - #897
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait a second... Did someone discover cotton and mistake it for the Vegetable Lamb?
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

28. - Top - End - #898

Wait a second... Did someone discover cotton and mistake it for the Vegetable Lamb?
    Plant based sheep that you can sheer for cotton instead of wool, yes.
    If you want, I could even create an ecosystem and an internal plan if that would be needed/wanted/if I have enough time and motivation. And yes, I used my Cur 5 action for that.

I thought about introducing normal sheep, but this was more interesting.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-01-31 at 07:36 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

29. - Top - End - #899
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Plant based sheep that you can sheer for cotton instead of wool, yes.
    If you want, I could even create an ecosystem and an internal plan if that would be needed/wanted/if I have enough time and motivation. And yes, I used my Cur 5 action for that.

I thought about introducing normal sheep, but this was more interesting.
    Are you telling me you've got mutton bushes?

30. - Top - End - #900

Are you telling me you've got mutton bushes?
    They are not mutton though.

If people think it is too over the top, I can just change it into cotton shrubs.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-01-31 at 07:45 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here