New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 132829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1436
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

Ahh... So, no way to trade without tying myself into a web of alliances with nations I may or may not have problems with?

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's all being settled peacefully? HUZZAH!

Now, let's plan for the next war…
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Ahh... So, no way to trade without tying myself into a web of alliances with nations I may or may not have problems with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post

I think it's being solved by peer pressure.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe. All depends on how things go, though... Might just end up being a fight between my side and Tychris, or SamBurke might end up not pulling out because the others aren't willing to.

5. - Top - End - #1115
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Wow. Everyone's managing everything so well, considering how much detail this game has so early.
    I figure with how the game is still in it's baby stages, the best thing I can do is try to throw out every idea I get with regards to it, take a look at it, decide if it might be good, throw it at one of the players I got on Skype for a second opinion, then throw it in the group to get the general opinion.

I suppose that gives me more time to write future religion lore...
    Ah, but my writing stinks anyway. It doesn't matter.
    I think you've been keeping up really nicely with the history you put into your compilation post! Really enjoyed seeing that and reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by WaylanderX View Post
    Well, I send you a PM to join the Grand Conference at the Grand Ball. Well, the Grand Conference was a success, resulting in the formation of the Grand Coalition. And you're kindoff in the heart of it. If you want send an envoy to Kasumor with a request to join the Grand Alliance, I'm sure we can work a couple of things out. Offcourse Eyecradia is welcome aswell (Arkhosia responded a few times in the Grand Conference thread, then went silent, so we had no idea what happened). You can try it this round if you want, I'll speak it through with the rest of the GC. And a trade agreement is always welcome, so I might even pull my troops back if that is the case .
    And that's why it's called the Heartwaste.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night.

Halfway with the rules writeup. After finishing that and sending it to Wombat and Waylander [Womlander? Waybat? WomWay? WomWay sounds good] for a double-check, I've got another big thing coming up.

The rules will be kept simple, a little abstract, and inclusive; mostly fluff-focused. I had discussed some new rules ideas with WomWay alone, but since they got very unique and high-end views on mechanics (I guess that's what you get with 'brewers) we may have ended up with something further from the spirit of the original game, so I went back and simplified that so that there would be less changes to the current rules. One thing is the split of military units between land, sea and air units as you can see in Waylander's table.

Most things that will be added are mostly regulation stuff like the official addition of co-GMs and how inactive players will be handled, with less than a handful of additions to Military on both offensive and defensive ends to round it out more and make it as fair as possible. Second chances are also included, for players who lose all their regions or have their dynasty oblitorated.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-02-04 at 01:48 PM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, I send you a PM to join the Grand Conference at the Grand Ball. Well, the Grand Conference was a success, resulting in the formation of the Grand Coalition. And you're kindoff in the heart of it. If you want send an envoy to Kasumor with a request to join the Grand Alliance, I'm sure we can work a couple of things out. Offcourse Eyecradia is welcome aswell (Arkhosia responded a few times in the Grand Conference thread, then went silent, so we had no idea what happened). You can try it this round if you want, I'll speak it through with the rest of the GC. And a trade agreement is always welcome, so I might even pull my troops back if that is the case .
    Maybe. All depends on how things go, though... Might just end up being a fight between my side and Tychris, or SamBurke might end up not pulling out because the others aren't willing to.
    I'm willing to pull out if any or all of the following conditions happen:
    1. The majority of other attacking nations withdraw.
    2. The Heartwastes is open to a trade treaty with Guilder
    3. The Heartwastes join the Grand Coalition.

It is my personal hope that you join the Coalition, as I would very much like such an alliance. However, any of the above is justification enough. In fact, I'd rather not attack if I could, so I do hope you'll consider the GC?
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Troll in the Playground

So, I'm pretty confused on the whole navy/army thing. If you have a navy, and someone you're attacking or being attacked by has an army you can't do squat about it? Is that the gist? Army has to fight army and navy has to fight navy (and presumably aerial has to fight aerial?) cause I would think ships with a ton of boats with guys with arrows would be able to bombard a coastal settlement. Or a bunch of canoes filled with warriors would be able to travel a coast. We've clearly decided that ocean sailing ships require a different tech so the navy ships we're talking about could be just barges or canoes or whatever that are simply intended to carry a group through the ocean.

In fact, I'd say that you couldn't even have a navy without advanced ships, like I said, it seems that ships in the way we think of them with sails and masts and all that are special things only some nations have. In that sense I don't think it's possible to have a "navy" without that technology.

That said, I had raised a 2,000 man navy last round, but going off what I've just said it isn't really a "navy" per se. And in fact, if we're going to go the direction I suggested than I couldn't even have them so having them as infantry is fine.

Also, so far resources have been kinda nebulous ideas, but if it's going to start affecting things and mattering how many we have then we'll have to keep up with them, but trust me when I say that gets really complicated really fast. In the game similar to this I played in before keeping track of resources became an arduous weekly process and contributed to that game's demise. Just something to keep in mind.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm willing to pull out if any or all of the following conditions happen:
    1. The majority of other attacking nations withdraw.
    2. The Heartwastes is open to a trade treaty with Guilder
    3. The Heartwastes join the Grand Coalition.

It is my personal hope that you join the Coalition, as I would very much like such an alliance. However, any of the above is justification enough. In fact, I'd rather not attack if I could, so I do hope you'll consider the GC?
    I don't know about three, but two's definitely open! So looks like it's mostly down to Tychris now... We're either evenly matched or outnumber him at this point, too, so I think it's probable that we won't have to deal with the ratfolk for a while.

After all, he might get lucky and be able to win this fight, but I really doubt he can take us out in one round, and we can raise at least 4,000 people to fend him off with in the next one.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2014-02-04 at 01:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm totally open for a trade! Would you prefer grain, wood, Bronze/tin/copper, or, perhaps, Inventors?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

10. - Top - End - #1120

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    So, I'm pretty confused on the whole navy/army thing. If you have a navy, and someone you're attacking or being attacked by has an army you can't do squat about it? Is that the gist? Army has to fight army and navy has to fight navy (and presumably aerial has to fight aerial?) cause I would think ships with a ton of boats with guys with arrows would be able to bombard a coastal settlement. Or a bunch of canoes filled with warriors would be able to travel a coast. We've clearly decided that ocean sailing ships require a different tech so the navy ships we're talking about could be just barges or canoes or whatever that are simply intended to carry a group through the ocean.

In fact, I'd say that you couldn't even have a navy without advanced ships, like I said, it seems that ships in the way we think of them with sails and masts and all that are special things only some nations have. In that sense I don't think it's possible to have a "navy" without that technology.

That said, I had raised a 2,000 man navy last round, but going off what I've just said it isn't really a "navy" per se. And in fact, if we're going to go the direction I suggested than I couldn't even have them so having them as infantry is fine.

Also, so far resources have been kinda nebulous ideas, but if it's going to start affecting things and mattering how many we have then we'll have to keep up with them, but trust me when I say that gets really complicated really fast. In the game similar to this I played in before keeping track of resources became an arduous weekly process and contributed to that game's demise. Just something to keep in mind.
    Morph and me are discussing a couple of rulesets at the moment. He is currently typing out the new rules at we speak and will update them shortly.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah! C'nor isn't dead. Well, that's good news. In that case the Sympol people will be pulling out of the Heartwaste confrontation now that Bloodfire isn't an unmanned resource ready to be taken willy nilly. I had wanted to offer you my aid in military matters, but you disappearing pretty much made me feel like you quit on this and threw in a really powerful resource with no intention of handling it. As a result I wanted to take it and manage it, thus keeping it in the pool of active players. But now that you're back I shouldn't have to worry about that (Assuming this isn't some big and complicated charade you're putting on to keep your nation untouched and then quickly flee into the darkness immedieately afterwards ).

If you are still interested in the backing of my military, well, we're not going anywhere.

Besides, Sympolemou has its sights set on a new target............
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ogre in the Playground

*grins* Either Inventors, if they boost curiosity, or Bronze/tin/copper.

Edit:

Hm... *giggles* Ratfolk swarms with werewolves, vampires, and dark fae at their heads, surrounded by personal entourages of Stormvermin? Yes please.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2014-02-04 at 02:00 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1123

I don't know about three, but two's definitely open! So looks like it's mostly down to Tychris now... We're either evenly matched or outnumber him at this point, too, so I think it's probable that we won't have to deal with the ratfolk for a while.

After all, he might get lucky and be able to win this fight, but I really doubt he can take us out in one round, and we can raise at least 4,000 people to fend him off with in the next one.
    I'm up for trading aswell, as there is no way I can take on 6000 people by myself, insect cavalry or not. The mantids themselves are unavailable, but I still have Alchemical components and Cotton producing plantsheep.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm up for trading aswell, as there is no way I can take on 6000 people by myself, insect cavalry or not. The mantids themselves are unavailable, but I still have Alchemical components and Cotton producing plantsheep.
    ...I am now kind of curious about those last ones. How's Alchemy work, though?

Also, Calorum isn't exactly a place that most of our citizens are going to like, given their customs, so... Hm. What would your reaction be to an invasion of them, if we get trade alliances worked out between all of us?

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Ettin in the Playground

*grins* Either Inventors, if they boost curiosity, or Bronze/tin/copper.

Edit:

Hm... *giggles* Ratfolk swarms with werewolves, vampires, and dark fae at their heads, surrounded by personal entourages of Stormvermin? Yes please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Ah! C'nor isn't dead. Well, that's good news. In that case the Sympol people will be pulling out of the Heartwaste confrontation now that Bloodfire isn't an unmanned resource ready to be taken willy nilly. I had wanted to offer you my aid in military matters, but you disappearing pretty much made me feel like you quit on this and threw in a really powerful resource with no intention of handling it. As a result I wanted to take it and manage it, thus keeping it in the pool of active players. But now that you're back I shouldn't have to worry about that (Assuming this isn't some big and complicated charade you're putting on to keep your nation untouched and then quickly flee into the darkness immedieately afterwards ).

If you are still interested in the backing of my military, well, we're not going anywhere.

Can haz non-violent resolution? Yes!

I'm up for either one... no word from Morph on what Inventors will do, but I figure they can be used that way, to find/develop new tech or such.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

16. - Top - End - #1126

@Waylander- On your table I'm still down 2000 men. Just FYI.

17. - Top - End - #1127

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    @Waylander- On your table I'm still down 2000 men. Just FYI.
    Fixed it, 3000 men in total, all infantry, correct?

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

18. - Top - End - #1128

...I am now kind of curious about those last ones. How's Alchemy work, though?

Also, Calorum isn't exactly a place that most of our citizens are going to like, given their customs, so... Hm. What would your reaction be to an invasion of them, if we get trade alliances worked out between all of us?
    Calorum is part of the Grand Coalition, so if you do not want a Doomkhan or a swarm of lethal bugs on your armies among other nasty things, I would not try to invade it.

Edit: Fleshed out my new religion. More information will be added later.
    Last edited by WaylanderX; 2014-02-04 at 02:24 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Ettin in the Playground

Calorum is part of the Grand Coalition, so if you do not want a Doomkhan or a swarm of lethal bugs on your armies among other nasty things, I would not try to invade it.
    Oh wait...I'm not DoomKhan?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Oh wait...I'm not DoomKhan?
    It's the Khan, who's so warthirsty that he's called the Doomkhan. You're the DoomBat.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ettin in the Playground

It's the Khan, who's so warthirsty that he's called the Doomkhan. You're the DoomBat.
    Oh. Darn, I thought I'd gotten a new nickname.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

22. - Top - End - #1132

Ah, everything's back to peace and trade allian-

Initiate terror-fuelled paranoia.

Edit: in that case, I'll change my action back to preparing to colonise region 11, if no one claims it in time.
    Last edited by Silverbit; 2014-02-04 at 02:41 PM.

Show

23. - Top - End - #1133
    Titan in the Playground

Can haz non-violent resolution? Yes!

I'm up for either one... no word from Morph on what Inventors will do, but I figure they can be used that way, to find/develop new tech or such.
    Any resources created/discovered by the players are entirely up to them what they can be used for, as long as it works within the boundaries of the rules of the game with the mechanics as they are written. (Like with regards to Curiosity 10 actions and Military applicability.)

I have just sent the new write-up to our esteemed co-GMs. Once it has been approved in triplicate, I'll put it up here in a normal post for another check for readability and understandability issues before putting it in the OP.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-02-04 at 02:41 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Dwarf in the Playground

smile Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Tale of People & Discovery

I am your ally, and hope that you don't make me doubt that. The GC nations and tercova are off limits. Otherwise, I'm your ally, and will gladly help you. That's what friends are for, after all.

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, everything's back to peace and trade allian-

Initiate terror-fuelled paranoia.
    Oh don't worry, I have my chittering fangs gnawing at something else entirely....

fishfishfishfishfishfishfish mmmmm yummy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Arutha View Post
    I am your ally, and hope that you don't make me doubt that. The GC nations and tercova are off limits. Otherwise, I'm your ally, and will gladly help you. That's what friends are for, after all.
    A bit late with that statement.....

But I will say this. You're in a military alliance with me and Rain Dragon. Rain Dragon doesn't even have a standing army (While I have elite soldiers and a rapidly expanding force) and only has a military score of 2 (Compared to my 6, three times his). Who do you really want backing you up in a fight?

Think about it.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2014-02-04 at 02:44 PM.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Titan in the Playground

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    *Snip*
    ...I'm not anything resembling fluent in Latin, but I can get the gist of most things.

This is...ominous.

28. - Top - End - #1138

The earth saturated with red?
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ogre in the Playground

Some image hosts are blocked at work for me, but I'm pretty sure Morph posted something foreboding? I can see the maps that you hosted on imgur at least, so that's a good host >.>

I'm sure I can wait an hour 'til I get home though.

30. - Top - End - #1140

Something like "Bloody Earth".

That does sounds pretty ominous.
    Battle stations everyone!

Edit: also, as I was glancing through the IC thread... Erm. Rain, prepare yourself for a horde of terrifying Sympol. I'll attempt to help in a bit, once I've stopped screaming hysterically.
    Last edited by Silverbit; 2014-02-04 at 03:55 PM.

Show