New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Oblongata Rising: A D&D 4E Campaign (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    He pulls a chair out from a table and sits down.
    "Are you familiar with Arcane Marks?"

Spoiler: Arcana DC 10
    Show

Arcane Marks are personalized marks of ownership that magic users sometimes place on their possessions. They often are invisible unless under certain circumstances, such as if a command word is spoken.
    Arcane Marks? I believe so. Is that what you believe this could be?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure I don't have to roll, I have a +10 to arcana but
    (1d20+10)[27]

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Arcane Marks? I believe so. Is that what you believe this could be?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure I don't have to roll, I have a +10 to arcana but
    [roll0]
    "A modified version, to be sure, but I believe it to be an arcane mark, yes."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

"A modified version, to be sure, but I believe it to be an arcane mark, yes."
    Oris nods. Is there any one in town that you know of that may mark people with Arcane Marks or use this symbol specifically?

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Oris nods. Is there any one in town that you know of that may mark people with Arcane Marks or use this symbol specifically?
    "Not that I'm aware of, no."
    Spoiler
    Show

Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Aurelios Human Swordmage|Wizard
    Character Sheet | Description

"Forgive the barrage of questions, we have so many!" Aurelios smiles at the man, "Though given your reputation, perhaps this not usual. If my friend here has done with his questions on the tattoo, I have some for you, if you would be so gracious. First, is there a spell or means of removing this mark from him? Also, what can Arcane Marks be used for? As a scry focus or the like? Would the wizard be able to track our friend more easily?"

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yarael View Post

"Forgive the barrage of questions, we have so many!" Aurelios smiles at the man, "Though given your reputation, perhaps this not usual. If my friend here has done with his questions on the tattoo, I have some for you, if you would be so gracious. First, is there a spell or means of removing this mark from him? Also, what can Arcane Marks be used for? As a scry focus or the like? Would the wizard be able to track our friend more easily?"
    "Removing the mark could be done, but Arcane Marks are intended to be... difficult to remove, at the very least, ranging to impossible if the magic user who applied it is powerful enough," he says with a frown, "As for the application of the mark, if it's advanced enough, it could serve as a scry focus, a tracking device, it could even be used to temporarily take control of your friend's mind. How powerful of a mage do you think is involved?"
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek retrieves his own book from his robes and places it on one of the numerous chairs alongside the book the man had loaned to him. With quick and precise strokes, he sets to copying the ritual into his own ritual book.

"Why are you so scared of this...Mark of Tharizdun? What does it mean to you?" he asked absentmindedly, his mind focused on the task at hand.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Marlek retrieves his own book from his robes and places it on one of the numerous chairs alongside the book the man had loaned to him. With quick and precise strokes, he sets to copying the ritual into his own ritual book.

"Why are you so scared of this...Mark of Tharizdun? What does it mean to you?" he asked absentmindedly, his mind focused on the task at hand.
    He looks at you oddly for a moment, then speaks,
    "You've heard of Orcus, Gruumsh, Lolth, Asmodeus, and Bane? Evil gods, one and all. Yet all of them have goals, aims, plans, that, if achieved, could change the world we live in. Tharizdun is the only god that has the expressed goal of ending existence. Even the evil gods want to keep him chained in his prison. If his powers are at work here in Waterdeep, dark times are ahead."
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #339
    Dwarf in the Playground

Belle accepted the book with a small nod. Not just this room, but another one, too?

She looked down at the cover, frowning slightly. Lawful Outsiders ... The term was vaguely familiar. She knew she had heard it before, but she couldn't place it. Something Sayana had mentioned? Or maybe even before that ...

Belle opened the book and started to flip through the pages, skimming towards page 217.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dac View Post
    Belle accepted the book with a small nod. Not just this room, but another one, too?

She looked down at the cover, frowning slightly. Lawful Outsiders ... The term was vaguely familiar. She knew she had heard it before, but she couldn't place it. Something Sayana had mentioned? Or maybe even before that ...

Belle opened the book and started to flip through the pages, skimming towards page 217.
    As you flip through the book, you notice that the overall theme of the text is that there are many lawful outsiders, good and evil, that are living on the material plane. Page 217 is headed with a large, illuminated name, just like the sections before it.

RAZGOG
    SON OF RALLIGOAN
    HUNTER OF THE LOST ONES
    SLAYER OF FRELLA
    Spoiler: The rest of the section reads as follows:
    Show

Even though many devils have come to find the Material Plane as a home, Razgog, son of Ralligoan, is the only one to do so willingly. Razgog was first summoned to this plane by Pock (who later became known as Pock the Silver, then Pock the Lightcaster, and Pock the Infirm even later) Grimblefoot. Razgog was summoned to fight and destroy a demon that was pursuing Grimblefoot, a creature known as Frella. Razgog eliminated the demon, then broke free of the bonds his master had place upon it. The devil then embarked upon it's true reason for entering the Material Plane, Ralligoan had sent it on a mission.
    Razgog's assigned task was simple, yet he still, at this book's time of writing, pursues it, for he has been forbidden to return to his home plane until he finishes his work. He is instructed to pursue a group of devils known as "The Lost Ones". These thirteen devils were the original thirteen generals of Ralligoan's legions. However, eons of war and conquest corrupted them, turning them to the path of chaos. When Ralligoan realized his generals had lost control, they fled from him, into the material plane. Razgog's task is to capture The Lost Ones, bind them within soul gems, and return them to their master for punishment. His task, however, has been complicated by the ability of these creatures to hide throughout the world, and the fact that very few of them ever come into contact with each other. As of the time of writing, it is known that four of the Lost Ones have been captured by Razgog.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Alaric prowls the premises, half-listening to his companions while ignoring the books entirely. Research through books was hardly his wheelhouse. People, on the other hand . . .

Alaric looks around to see if there are any other occupants of the library.

Skill check?

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herodofcows View Post
    Alaric prowls the premises, half-listening to his companions while ignoring the books entirely. Research through books was hardly his wheelhouse. People, on the other hand . . .

Alaric looks around to see if there are any other occupants of the library.

Skill check?
    No need. As far as you can tell, in the rooms you've been in, the only people inside this structure are your group and the man. You haven't heard any sounds that would suggest otherwise, either.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ogre in the Playground

Oris thinks for a moment while the others ask their questions. Finally he says My apologies but I believe this is my final question. Do you have anything in here that could possibly teach me more about Arcane Marks or how to make them?

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ogre in the Playground

Oris thinks for a moment while the others ask their questions. Finally he says My apologies but I believe this is my final question. Do you have anything in here that could possibly teach me more about Arcane Marks or how to make them?
    "Beyond the ritual for the creation of a standard Arcane Mark, I'm afraid I can't help you. This information is... beyond my knowledge, as well as my father's. I'm afraid that this magic, if it's as powerful as you say it is, may be privy to only the one who weaved it, or maybe the group of magic users associated with him. I'm sorry that I can't tell you more."

Insight DC 18
    Spoiler
    Show

The man isn't lying about not having any resources to show you beyond the ritual itself, but you sense he may know something, on a personal level, that he's not telling you.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

"Beyond the ritual for the creation of a standard Arcane Mark, I'm afraid I can't help you. This information is... beyond my knowledge, as well as my father's. I'm afraid that this magic, if it's as powerful as you say it is, may be privy to only the one who weaved it, or maybe the group of magic users associated with him. I'm sorry that I can't tell you more."

Insight DC 18
    Spoiler
    Show

The man isn't lying about not having any resources to show you beyond the ritual itself, but you sense he may know something, on a personal level, that he's not telling you.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Passive Insight=19.

Oris nods. Do you have a copy of the ritual, that maybe I could gleam information from it?

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Passive Insight=19.

Oris nods. Do you have a copy of the ritual, that maybe I could gleam information from it?
    The man gestures to the large tome Marlek is looking at.
    "Sure, pages 119-127, help yourself," he says, standing.
    "Do... do any of you mind if I go make myself a cup of tea? You caught me at lunch, you see."
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ogre in the Playground

The man gestures to the large tome Marlek is looking at.
    "Sure, pages 119-127, help yourself," he says, standing.
    "Do... do any of you mind if I go make myself a cup of tea? You caught me at lunch, you see."
    Oris says to Marlek When your done, mind if I have a look?

As the man turns his attention away, Oris creates a copy of the symbol on the back of the mans hand. (Using prestidigitation to make a fake one, not a real one)

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

Oris says to Marlek When your done, mind if I have a look?

As the man turns his attention away, Oris creates a copy of the symbol on the back of the mans hand. (Using prestidigitation to make a fake one, not a real one)
    ((To clarify, you mean the NPC, not Marlek, correct?))
    Last edited by Creed; 2014-01-29 at 04:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

((To clarify, you mean the NPC, not Marlek, correct?))
    ((Oh yeah. Sorry. I couldn't remember if he'd been given a name and didn't think it would be to big a deal to just call him "the man." Sorry for confusion))

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

((Oh yeah. Sorry. I couldn't remember if he'd been given a name and didn't think it would be to big a deal to just call him "the man." Sorry for confusion))
    ((He has a name, just no one's asked it and he hasn't seen fit to give it. ))
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #351

Planetar

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Insight +8: Intelligence and Half Level +3 plus Training +5 = (1d20+8)[18](26)

"I have another line of inquiry, if it is not too much trouble..." Aurelios pauses, horrified at his lack of manners, "My sincerest apologies, I have forgotten decency. My name is Aurelios, how would you prefer to be addressed?"

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Insight +8: Intelligence and Half Level +3 plus Training +5 = [roll0]

"I have another line of inquiry, if it is not too much trouble..." Aurelios pauses, horrified at his lack of manners, "My sincerest apologies, I have forgotten decency. My name is Aurelios, how would you prefer to be addressed?"
    "How would I- oh, my name. Yes. I am Edward Castle, well, the sixth, actually. My name is the one above the door," he says, nodding towards the entrance.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353

Planetar

Aurelios is stupefied. He clearly is caught off guard, and a long breeze passes before he speaks again."You wouldn't happen to know a white dragon named Ingleozonac, the son of Ingeloakastimizilian?" Aurelios has turned pale, his voice hushed.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek looked up, surprised at the man calling himself "Edward Castle". That was the dragon's dying breath wasn't it? What did it have to do with this man...?
    Last edited by Vesth; 2014-01-29 at 09:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Aurelios is stupefied. He clearly is caught off guard, and a long breeze passes before he speaks again."You wouldn't happen to know a white dragon named Ingleozonac, the son of Ingeloakastimizilian?" Aurelios has turned pale, his voice hushed.
    Castle pauses, stares at you for a moment, then starts to laugh,
    "You, you're kidding, right? A white dragon, oh yes, of course, he comes over for brunch every Tuesday, very funny," he says sarcastically, leaving the room to go get that tea he mentioned.

Marlek looked up, surprised at Aurelios's sudden reaction. He passes the book to Oris and set to repairing the sodden papers, an eye on this new exchange. As far as he could recall, 'Edward Castle' was an unknown name with previously attached meaning, especially not with a dragon they had just fought.
    Spoiler: The Papers
    Show

The first few papers are cargo manifests and docking permits for the ship, and they match up with what Chandler told you. Cargo of silks, out of Calimport, bound for Waterdeep. The one that stands out, however, is a flow chart written is rough-shod, uneducated handwriting. It reads as follows:

"Go to Titan---> Dragon into sewers at sunrise --->Be at ballroom by noon.

Don't mess this up, Droverson, or---->YOU'RE A DEAD MAN, DROVERSON! YOU AND YOUR WH*** WIFE ARE DEAD! GET IT DONE, OR I'LL CUT YOU UP INTO LITTLE F***ING PIECES AND FEED YOU TO THE F***ING FISH!

-VT"

Last edited by Creed; 2014-01-29 at 09:13 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356

EvilClericGuy

Victor, not being a man of words, has been leaning by the doorway, listening to the words being said, but mainly waiting in case trouble comes to find them.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek's eyes wided as he read through that particular piece of paper. It was probably too late, but still...

"Quick! How many ballrooms are there in Waterdeep? And how far is it from here?" he said urgently. This particular window might still be open, though the possibility is very slim.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek's eyes wided as he read through that particular piece of paper. It was probably too late, but still...

"Quick! How many ballrooms are there in Waterdeep? And how far is it from here?" he said urgently. This particular window might still be open, though the possibility is very slim.
    Castle comes back into the room with a tea cup in his good hand,
    "Ballrooms? There'd have to be, well, hundreds. Dozens alone are in private residences belonging to the nobility of the city, most of the others would be empty at this hour anyways. Dragons, ballrooms, arcane marks, you all are nothing but trouble, eh?"
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Castle comes back into the room with a tea cup in his good hand,
    "Ballrooms? There'd have to be, well, hundreds. Dozens alone are in private residences belonging to the nobility of the city, most of the others would be empty at this hour anyways. Dragons, ballrooms, arcane marks, you all are nothing but trouble, eh?"
    Oris smiles. I'm sure you've had your fair share of trouble yourself.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Oris smiles. I'm sure you've had your fair share of trouble yourself.
    "What gives you that impression? I try to stay out of trouble," he says, taking a sip of the tea and sitting back down.
    Spoiler
    Show