New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Oblongata Rising: A D&D 4E Campaign (IC)

Quote Originally Posted by Yarael View Post
    Aurelios Human Swordmage|Wizard
    Character Sheet | Description

"I apologize if my question before caused offense, they were not so intended. I did not expect you to know each lowly member of this criminal orginaztion. Rather my fears were speaking. If I ere Tarmikos and I knew that Traban was involved with this group who had recently created difficulties for me, I would post folks outside his residence to see who went and came, if I did not have such people in place already.I sought your help and guidance, though certainly not entitled to either, to help allay my shortcomings.

Unfortunately I have not the gift of words others have, so please forgive if my apology, itself, was overly awkward in its meandering. I do that from time to time. Meander."
    Aurelios laughs to himself as streamer flutters near by.

"As it were then, and by all means forgive and ignore me, if this inquiry renews the discord so recently placed to bed. Recently we were told that the Oblongata were surprisingly efficient in there recent rise to prominence, more so than the others that came before. Given their name and interest in the dragon, I fear, once more my fears drive me forth, that they have happened upon some magic that they exploit. Without delaying your business too long, if there are rumors you know of regarding the source of their power, I would be keenly interested. Any advice or guidance thus given, greatly appreciated." Aurelios bows to the woman and they progress through the streets.
    Aoife waves off the apology, making it clear to the group that the momentary scuffle is behind them,
    "There are tribes of... savages far to the north, in the land of Icewind Dale. They have a saying: 'Use all parts of the elk'. The meaning is simple, that no bit of each kill goes to waste, every piece of every animal the tribe hunts is used for a different purpose. The bones, antlers, and teeth are carved into tools, the fat rendered into soap or used as fuel, the skin tanned into clothes or tents, and, of course, the meat is eaten. The Oblongata were the first criminal organization in Waterdeep to adopt a similar policy, as well as an almost monastic lifestyle for many of them. Many of the dedicated lower ranking members do nothing but eat, sleep, and guard the Revolutionary's mansion. They don't get paid, only fed and housed, but they do it because they believe in the organization they serve. Others are more traditional criminals, of course, but everything the Oblongata does it does for a reason. If you believe your dragon was brought to Waterdeep to be killed, then the Oblongata had plans for every last bit of the corpse, as well as whatever is left of the Silver Titan. The Revolutionary plans meticulously, then coordinates his lieutenants, even though most of them hate each other, through a mixture of fear and cult-like reverence. Even though he says he no longer has conflict with the Oblongata, my father still feels responsible for all this, I'm sure of it, he's just not willing to force change upon the city again."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Aurelios paces stops as he nearly floats for a moment in the air. "Responsible? In what way?" All sense of decorum or attempts to not offend disappear as he nearly whispers the last.

"Forgive me. I lost my sense of balance for a mere breathe. I completely understand if that is not a question you would wish asked." The elemental catches himself soon enough.
    Last edited by Yarael; 2014-02-11 at 10:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yarael View Post

Aurelios paces stops as he nearly floats for a moment in the air. "Responsible? In what way?" All sense of decorum or attempts to not offend disappear as he nearly whispers the last.

"Forgive me. I lost my sense of balance for a mere breathe. I completely understand if that is not a question you would wish asked." The elemental catches himself soon enough.
    She hesitates for a moment, then responds,
    "You are aware that my father was an adventurer before he was a merchant, yes? Well, Waterdeep bestowed his titles upon him when he was the leader of an adventuring group called the Order of the Red Hand. The Order of the Red Hand engaged in a full-scale crime eradication campaign, along with the city watch. They didn't fully remove the gangs from the city, but the watch and the gangs were so significantly weakened by the struggle that, eventually, it led to the Oblongata becoming the driving force in politics and economics in Waterdeep."
    Spoiler
    Show

Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

4. - Top - End - #514

Planetar

Aurelios actually turns a light shade of what could best be described as violet. "I truly am sorry. I arrived here but a week ago and know almost nothing of this city, its customs, it heroes and its legends. Toril itself is little known to me, though my city has been here for some time know. This was an answer I should have known. Thank you for your time." Aurelios grows quiet as he floats away, lost in the eddies of his mind.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Strange," Belle commented idly as they walked. "Your father set out to eradicate crime. Instead, he and the others paved the way for its largest organization."

She hoped that the woman wouldn't take offense to that. None was intended. She was merely ... puzzled at how the world worked sometimes.

Her gaze flicked to Aoife, appraising. Regardless of how much was owed to the father, the woman's will was clearly her own. Confident. No nonsense. And quick with her temper. Belle decided she liked her.

"Have you opposed the Oblongata before?" she asked, her eyes lingering on the sword. "Like what happened last night, I mean."

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dac View Post
    "Strange," Belle commented idly as they walked. "Your father set out to eradicate crime. Instead, he and the others paved the way for its largest organization."

She hoped that the woman wouldn't take offense to that. None was intended. She was merely ... puzzled at how the world worked sometimes.

Her gaze flicked to Aoife, appraising. Regardless of how much was owed to the father, the woman's will was clearly her own. Confident. No nonsense. And quick with her temper. Belle decided she liked her.

"Have you opposed the Oblongata before?" she asked, her eyes lingering on the sword. "Like what happened last night, I mean."
    "A few times. Minor skirmishes."
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #517
    Dwarf in the Playground

Belle nodded and went quiet for the rest of the trip back to the inn.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Once inside the Free Arms, Aoife walks up to the bar and points at your group. Dougan scans your faces.
    "Dougan, these people are to stay here on my father's orders. We will cover their expenses here, as well as those of the rest of their group. Are we clear?" Aoife tells him. Dougan sighs and nods, then responds,
    "Two of 'em are already back, the runner and Stoneheart," he jerks a thumb towards where Marlek is sitting, then nods towards the stairs, where Volker is presumably asleep.

Aoife turns back around to face the rest of the group,
    "Do you have any other questions, or are we through?" she asks curtly.
    Last edited by Creed; 2014-02-13 at 12:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #519

Planetar

Aurelios turns to Aoife "We thank you for you and your father's generosity. May the wind fill your sails.

I had not expected Volker to return, I will retrieve him. I think we have much to discuss."
    Aurelios nods to Marlek as he springs up the steps.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Titan in the Playground

"Well since you asked, I was wondering where you buy your clothes. Because some of our garments are looking pretty ragged." Abigail asks trying not to indicate anyone in particular.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    "Well since you asked, I was wondering where you buy your clothes. Because some of our garments are looking pretty ragged." Abigail asks trying not to indicate anyone in particular.
    "Garment District, right off Silver Street. You'll know it by the smell, can't miss it."
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #522
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek was quietly sitting at the bar, watching his companions coming in with a strange woman, wondering what he should do until he saw the nod from Aurelios. "Hello," Marlek said, approaching them. "What's your name, miss...?"

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Aoife turns,
    "Aoife Traban, daughter of your one-time employer, Frui- wait, where did you get that coat?" she asks, examining the coat Marlek is wearing.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #524
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Volker, of the bed-head clan

Following Aurelios down the stairs, with his hair matted on one side of his head and sticking straight out on the other, Volker comes plodding down the stairs wearing a scowl, his eyes bloodshot and sleepy. Somehow he's still enchantingly handsome, his skin still a perfectly bronzed complexion. Holding his robes up to stop from tripping on them he glances around at the group near the bar, only noticing the additional girl because she's speaking in a demanding I-want-your-attention kind of way.
    At the bottom of the stairs, he stops suddenly, the scowl falling from his face and leaving his mouth hanging open in the process. A bit of a smile dawning on his lips - "Aoife? Is that you?!" A childish grin cracks his face like he's forgotten where he is for a moment and he steps forward, then stops and frowns, awkwardly not knowing if he should hug her or kiss her cheek or just stay back given she is armed. He also forgot to put his robes back down.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

Aoife sighs,
    "Yes, Stoneheart, my father send me along to cover the cost of your group's rooms. As far as I know, we haven't heard word from your family yet regarding your return home. My condolences."
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #526
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Volker, the knobby kneed Half-Elf

He clears his throat and finally puts his robes down. "Ah. Well. I see. Good to see you anyways. You look..." He looks at her in examination, starting at her boots and working his way quickly up. "in fine form. I mean... Still poking things I see! With sharp objects, of course.... Look, I just woke up and wasn't expecting to have civilized company." His cheeks color slightly so he gives a charming grin and attempts to change the subject. "Whatever are you hanging around with these people for?"

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Aoife rolls her eyes,
    "I should be asking you the same thing, I'm not the one roaming the city slaying dragons with them."
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek watches the exchange between Volker and Aoife carefully, deciding or not whether to trust her with the information they learned. If she's with Traban, and apparently a close friend of Volker, Marlek decided, then she was *probably* on their side.

"I think that what's in the coat," he said at last, "is more interesting that the coat himself."

He pulled out the sheet of paper about the ballroom and the threats and held it out for her.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ogre in the Playground

She examines the papers and sighs, then puts the papers on the bar,
    "So you killed Droverson then, I imagine? His family's likely dead by now, regrettably."
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

"He fell into the water when the dragon rocked the boat. We found him later." He sighs, and takes another sip of his drink. "I know some of us want to help his family...assuming they're not dead. Some of us want to take down the Oblongata. I personally have a stake in this, small as it might seem. You mention Traban as our one-time employer. We would ask if we could do so again."

"I know this is a bit much to ask, but we don't want to be mere pawns. We want to know why they're doing what they're doing, and everyone's stand and stake in this whole mess before we cause a blunder that's bigger than a man who's family's probably dead because of our actions. Keeping us in the dark won't do anyone any good, and sooner or later, unintended things are going to happen."

He looks into his drink, staring at his reflection, at another time. "As my mentor once taught me, trust in your allies is the best grease you can hope for in a complicated machine."

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ogre in the Playground

Aoife looks at the papers again and shakes her head,
    "I'm sorry, but, as I'm sure your friends will inform you, things are settled between my father and the Oblongata. They're no longer at odds over the harbor. You'll have to find another way to find out what you want to know," she says, then suddenly looks up and stares at you,
    "Wait... what did you say?"
    Last edited by Creed; 2014-02-14 at 12:39 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

At Volker's words, Abigail gives him a very peculiar smile. The kind of smile that says "you have about ten seconds to rectify a terrible mistake you just made".

She considers wading into the conversation Marlek and Aoife are having to inform him about the generally agreed views of the group (as far as she understood at least) as to dealing with the Oblongata (which is to say, "we decided that's suicidal so let's not"), but decides to wait in case Aoife's last query led somewhere interesting.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Aoife looks at the papers again and shakes her head,
    "I'm sorry, but, as I'm sure your friends will inform you, things are settled between my father and the Oblongata. They're no longer at odds over the harbor. You'll have to find another way to find out what you want to know," she says, then suddenly looks up and stares at you,
    "Wait... what did you say?"
    "What did I say?" Marlek said suspiciously, suddenly on guard. He reviewed the words he told her. Diplomatic. No outstanding information that should elicit a response like that. The only thing he could think of would be the words of wisdom from another life.

He waited for her to explain herself, his eyes looking carefully at her every action.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

"'Trust in your allies is the best grease you can hope for in a complicated machine'," she quotes, "Where did you hear that?"
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek stares at her. "A man they call Greyhand." Marlek finally said. "Leader of the Gloved Fist. Do you know him?"

Not good. Not good at all.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Marlek stares at her. "A man they call Greyhand." Marlek finally said. "Leader of the Gloved Fist. Do you know him?"

Not good. Not good at all.
    "Greyhand?! Greyhand was the alias of Yancy Tarmikos, he's been dead for ten years, and living in Icewind Dale for the ten before that! As for the Gloved Fist, I've never heard of them."
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek chokes on his drink, sending the brown liquid flying everywhere. "I-I think you've got the wrong Greyhand," he said, though his voice is unsteady with uncertainty. "The Greyhand I know is the leader of a guild in Urstone, and his hand is grey because of a spellscar. And the Greyhand I know is very much alive." he said, trying to dispel the doubts from his mind.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Marlek chokes on his drink, sending the brown liquid flying everywhere. "I-I think you've got the wrong Greyhand," he said, though his voice is unsteady with uncertainty. "The Greyhand I know is the leader of a guild in Urstone, and his hand is grey because of a spellscar. And the Greyhand I know is very much alive." he said, trying to dispel the doubts from his mind.
    "Tarmikos was called Greyhand because he left grey handprints all over whatever he stole, he climbed down chimneys and was covered in soot during most of his burglaries. But why would thy use he same alias, and why would they both use that phrase...?" Aoife goes quiet, then turns towards the door.
    "I have to look into this. Is there anything else, before I go?"
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Wow, everyone here is so delightfully connected . . .

And hey! Now we know where to get a coat like that! Everything's coming up Alaric!

30. - Top - End - #540
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Volker, the tired and misunderstood elementalist

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    At Volker's words, Abigail gives him a very peculiar smile. The kind of smile that says "you have about ten seconds to rectify a terrible mistake you just made".
    Finally noticing the tension in the air between Aoife and the others, Volker looks around and sees Abigail giving him a strange look. He shrugs and grimaces, as if to say "oops, did I speak out of turn or simply I don't know what I'm saying".

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Aoife rolls her eyes,
    "I should be asking you the same thing, I'm not the one roaming the city slaying dragons with them."
    He looks at her with a blank face for a moment...What am I thinking... she's from this world, not mine. Was a pain in butt as much as a childhood playmate those few times we met too. Sigh. Women.

Clearly seeing is she not as happy to see him as he may have thought, Volker shrugs and a half smile twitches across his lips. "You win some, you lose some." Purposely leaving it an open ended comment, he turns away from her, losing interest in the banter and moves to sit at the bar. He covers a yawn and rubs his eyes from time to time while watching the rest of the exchanges.