New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Oblongata Rising: A D&D 4E Campaign (IC)

More than a gang thing, hmm? Some kind of SCIENCE gang thing, at that? Brief and wondrous visions of fighting techothaumaturgical thugs with alchemical blood and gear-borne bodies flashed before his eyes. This job could be wonderful for his collection of odd battle trophies and knicknacks!

"Pleased to meet you all! I'm Alaric, but you all can call me Ally if you'd prefer! I'm built for speed and discomfort, and I take orders like a Sembian takes it from a Netherese, if you catch my meaning, so make me an opening and I'll shoot right in!"

So saying, he takes a brief look around at his companions. "Motley bunch"? Maybe, but there's a variety of power and skill on display that excites him greatly.

Every battlefield is a blank canvas, he quotes to himself, and I am in the company of artists.

"I will take that drink! Possibly for the road, depending on when we're all ready to set out?"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Marlek thinks for a long while before giving a sigh. He attempts a smile, but it's far from successful. "I'm Marlek. Marlek Dreadlock. It isn't been the best of days for me, so pardon my mistrust."

He pulls a small, worn pouch from the depth of his robes. He look into it and winces. "Chandler, you look stressed. What about a drink?" He stands up and turns towards the door. "Does anyone else want a drink? Free of charge." He flips a coin into the air and catches it between his thumb and forefinger.
    Chandler's lip involuntarily curls, and he waves the drink off.
    "No, no, no thank you. Trying to cut back."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll take yours then!" Abigail says following up Chandler with a laugh. "Though, we should make sure we stop well before we... hmm... do... whatever... yeah, we might want to plan a bit. Probably before drinking. We're all alone here so it might be better to discuss things before we leave. If the guards are being paid off it would be best if we didn't discuss how we're going to stop them getting more in public."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

"I am Oris, I have no need for drink. Thank you for your offer.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Victor smiles awkwardly. "Thanks for the offer...Marlek...but no drinks for me. Certainly not before a job. Maybe save your round until after?"
    Last edited by allonym; 2014-01-14 at 07:15 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Planetar

Aurelios Human Swordmage|Wizard

Science Gang?! What does that even mean. Sounds fascinating. At least we got to the truth. Aurelio's fades from the limelight, letting the others take the stage near the bar. At least most of them were introducing themselves now. A wry smile and a twinkle in the eye.

He moves gracefully between the folks studying them, dancing among the leaves until he is at the windows. He watches outside, seeing which way the wind blows those outside.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception +5: Wisdom and Half Level +3 plus Theme +2 = (1d20+5)[13](18) to find any trouble brewing outside.
    Arcana +12: Intelligence and Half Level +5 plus Trainingl +5 plus Background +2 = (1d20+12)[13](25) to see if Oblongata or science means anything to him.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yarael View Post
    Aurelios Human Swordmage|Wizard

Science Gang?! What does that even mean. Sounds fascinating. At least we got to the truth. Aurelio's fades from the limelight, letting the others take the stage near the bar. At least most of them were introducing themselves now. A wry smile and a twinkle in the eye.

He moves gracefully between the folks studying them, dancing among the leaves until he is at the windows. He watches outside, seeing which way the wind blows those outside.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Perception +5: Wisdom and Half Level +3 plus Theme +2 = [roll0] to find any trouble brewing outside.
    Arcana +12: Intelligence and Half Level +5 plus Trainingl +5 plus Background +2 = [roll1] to see if Oblongata or science means anything to him.
    Spoiler
    Show

You don't see any trouble outside, but the name "Oblongata" rings a bell.
    The medulla oblongata is the lower half of the brainstem. The medulla contains the cardiac, respiratory, vomiting and vasomotor centers and deals with autonomic, (involuntary) functions, such as breathing, heart rate and blood pressure.
    Spoiler
    Show

Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek smiles at all the replies. "I'll be back shortly. I need something myself to calm the nerves." Taking his leave, he silently steps out.

For DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Marlek heads to where the bartender is, resting an arm casually across the bar top. "4 pints of ale please. Make one of them as strong as you can make it. Without knocking someone out, of course. I swear, this fellow can drink more than a dwarf." Smiling a little, he puts a gold piece on the wooden surface. "Here, keep the change." As the bartender presumably started on his orders, he leans in a little closer. "Listen, do you know a guy called Victor...Victor Tarmikos? I'm supposed to be working for him in a couple day's time, and I'll like to know what I'm getting into, you know?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The standard price for a pint of fine ale is 4cp. This should be a lot of change.
    Last edited by Vesth; 2014-01-14 at 10:28 AM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Marlek smiles at all the replies. "I'll be back shortly. I need something myself to calm the nerves." Taking his leave, he silently steps out.

For DM only
    Spoiler
    Show
    Marlek heads to where the bartender is, resting an arm casually across the bar top. "4 pints of ale please. Make one of them as strong as you can make it. Without knocking someone out, of course. I swear, this fellow can drink more than a dwarf." Smiling a little, he puts a gold piece on the wooden surface. "Here, keep the change." As the bartender presumably started on his orders, he leans in a little closer. "Listen, do you know a guy called Victor...Victor Tarmikos? I'm supposed to be working for him in a couple day's time, and I'll like to know what I'm getting into, you know?"

Spoiler
    Show
    The standard price for a pint of fine ale is 4cp. This should be a lot of change.
    Marlek:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The bartender is a middle-aged man with a groomed beard and a slight paunch to him. His eyes are small and grey, and he looks back and forth at the rather empty barroom before taking the coin. As he's working filling mugs from a keg behind him, he speaks up,
    "Tarmikos... tall feller, broad shoulders, lots of scars? Yeh, I seen him a few times. Werks for the Revolutionary, if I remember right. Waddaya wanta know 'bout 'im?"
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40

EvilClericGuy

Victor looks at his employer for a long moment, then says, "Mr. Chandler...seems we've made introductions and know what's what now, so I was wondering - could I have a word in private? It's nothing serious."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by allonym View Post
    Victor looks at his employer for a long moment, then says, "Mr. Chandler...seems we've made introductions and know what's what now, so I was wondering - could I have a word in private? It's nothing serious."
    "Sure, sure, follow me."
    Chandler walks out of the side room and through the main, rather empty, barroom. He nods to Marlek and the bartender, and goes up the stairs to the second floor, into the thin hallway with doors along either wall that, apparently, are the small rooms the Free Arms occasionally rents out.

Victor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Alright, what is it then?" Chandler leans up against a wall between two doors, taking a flask out of his pocket and taking a sip.
    Last edited by Creed; 2014-01-14 at 11:23 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    Victor:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Alright, what is it then?" Chandler leans up against a wall between two doors, taking a flask out of his pocket and taking a sip.
    DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Sorry about all the formality back there, Zanben. Good to look professional and all that. I was wondering. You were talking about your employer, and said something about a Mr. Traban, I think? So you aren't working with your father, then? Something happened to him, or are you just working elsewhere? I've been out of touch with my family for ages, but your father...Theod, wasn't it? He was a nice man by my recollection, not that I saw much of him. Didn't want to bring this up in front of everyone, in case you didn't want to talk about family in public." Victor is genuinely concerned, though also feels somewhat guilty about discussing how he has fallen out of contact with his own family. Nevertheless, it does seem like an unusual state of affairs, especially given the strange tattoo, so he is also curious about how Chandler will react.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If necessary: Insight: (1d20+2)[13]
    Perception, in case there is anything noteworthy: (1d20+7)[16]
    Diplomacy (Victor is not a very personable or charming person, so it could seem a bit impertinent): (1d20)[2]

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Sorry about all the formality back there, Zanben. Good to look professional and all that. I was wondering. You were talking about your employer, and said something about a Mr. Traban, I think? So you aren't working with your father, then? Something happened to him, or are you just working elsewhere? I've been out of touch with my family for ages, but your father...Theod, wasn't it? He was a nice man by my recollection, not that I saw much of him. Didn't want to bring this up in front of everyone, in case you didn't want to talk about family in public." Victor is genuinely concerned, though also feels somewhat guilty about discussing how he has fallen out of contact with his own family. Nevertheless, it does seem like an unusual state of affairs, especially given the strange tattoo, so he is also curious about how Chandler will react.

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If necessary: Insight: [roll0]
    Perception, in case there is anything noteworthy: [roll1]
    Diplomacy (Victor is not a very personable or charming person, so it could seem a bit impertinent): [roll2]
    Victor:
    Spoiler
    Show

"Theod's dead."
    Chandler raises his eyebrows, then takes another quick drink.
    "Last year, my father, well, no one's sure what happened. But they found his body weighted down by stones in the harbor, a week after he disappeared. His hands were cut off, tongue ripped out, even his d*mn eyelids were pulled off."
    Chandler pauses for a moment of reflection.
    "That's when I started working for Mr. Traban, he's a noble here in Waterdeep, use to be an adventurer before he got himself a family and some property. The city gave him a nice and fancy mansion, and he brought a dragon's hoard worth of commerce into the city, thanks to his savings. I don't know about half of the people down there, they're here because they know Traban. "
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

EvilClericGuy

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Victor is genuinely shocked. Never being good with words outside of standard etiquette, he stammers, "Gods, that's...that's awful. So sorry for bringing it up. Uh...I mean, not that I'm any kind of watchman, but if you ever find out who did that, or need help with it...well, you know, if I can help..." He trails off and looks down at his hands.
    Last edited by allonym; 2014-01-14 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Formatting fail

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Victor is genuinely shocked. Never being good with words outside of standard etiquette, he stammers, "Gods, that's...that's awful. So sorry for bringing it up. Uh...I mean, not that I'm any kind of watchman, but if you ever find out who did that, or need help with it...well, you know, if I can help..." He trails off and looks down at his hands.
    Victor:
    Spoiler
    Show

Chandler nods, then reaches down and withdraws a thin, sharp looking knife from his salt-stained boot.
    "Trust me, if I find out who's behind it, I won't need your help."
    All of his nervousness twitches are gone for that moment, as Chandler stares at you seriously. Then, as suddenly as it came, the mood passes, Chandler lets out a soft chuckle, and tucks the weapon back into his boot.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46

EvilClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Victor is a little startled at the weapon, his hand reaching instinctively towards his scabbard for a moment before he stops it, hoping Chandler doesn't notice, but he thinks it best to say nothing. After a few awkward moments pass, he clears his throat. "So...that was all I was wondering about. I'm...so sorry for your loss. Uhm, should we get back to the others?"

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Victor is a little startled at the weapon, his hand reaching instinctively towards his scabbard for a moment before he stops it, hoping Chandler doesn't notice, but he thinks it best to say nothing. After a few awkward moments pass, he clears his throat. "So...that was all I was wondering about. I'm...so sorry for your loss. Uhm, should we get back to the others?"
    Spoiler
    Show

"Yes, yes, I suppose we should."
    Chandler tucks the flask back into his pocket, then walks back down the stairs.

Chandler walks back through the barroom, and slips back into the storage room, sitting back down in his original place.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Aurelios sees a displacer beast walk past the window in the direction of the door.

19. - Top - End - #49

EvilClericGuy

Victor returns with Chandler, nodding wordlessly to the table and retaking his seat.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Chandler speaks up,
    "Well, do any of you need anything else, or will you be on your way? Once you're done, make sure to come back here to me, I'll visit Mister Traban and collect your payment while you handle the Silver Titan."
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Alaric bounds up at this.

"All right! Let's go defeat Science with Swords and Sorcery!"

No irony there, right, Alaric?

Of course not, Other Alaric!

As he walks outside the bar, he passes Marlek in conversation with the bartender.

"Let's put a hold on that drink, Marley! Places to see, people to . . . also see . . ." he finished lamely, realizing that there might be law enforcement at the bar. Hopefully nobody caught that . . .

Spoiler
    Show
    Untrained bluff, just in case: (1d20+5)[13]

Regardless, he barrels his way into the streets and turns to wait for his companions, humming all the while. A job to do, a payment to be had, an exciting new foe to try himself against, and a gaggle of new faces to get to know . . . THIS is the life!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Oris stands, I'll gladly be off with whoever agrees to come once they are ready.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herodofcows View Post
    Alaric bounds up at this.

"All right! Let's go defeat Science with Swords and Sorcery!"

No irony there, right, Alaric?

Of course not, Other Alaric!

As he walks outside the bar, he passes Marlek in conversation with the bartender.

"Let's put a hold on that drink, Marley! Places to see, people to . . . also see . . ." he finished lamely, realizing that there might be law enforcement at the bar. Hopefully nobody caught that . . .

Spoiler
    Show
    Untrained bluff, just in case: [roll0]

Regardless, he barrels his way into the streets and turns to wait for his companions, humming all the while. A job to do, a payment to be had, an exciting new foe to try himself against, and a gaggle of new faces to get to know . . . THIS is the life!
    Spoiler
    Show

The main barroom is, aside from the bartender, empty, so your bluff works out fine.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail just stares blankly, dumbfounded, at the backs of those leaving, wondering why they completely ignored her suggestion for the group to make some kind of plan at all before they go out into public.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Abigail just stares blankly, dumbfounded, at the backs of those leaving, wondering why they completely ignored her suggestion for the group to make some kind of plan at all before they go out into public.
    Oris turns to Abigail and assuming that she was shocked by that outburst (not the part about ignoring her suggestion) says: Look's like he's ready. I have some tricks in mind that might help us, but I need to just wait and see.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

DM Only
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'll take whatever he knows. Dammit, you're rushing me D:

Marlek makes his way back. "Your drinks are here." he says, smiling. He carefully passes them around to those who asked, but it's quickly obvious that there's an extra one. He gives the extremely strong one to Chandler himself. He raises a hand to stop him from protesting. "Accept it. As a token of our relationship. I can tell you need some way to wind down."

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy: (1d20+9)[14]

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Seeing the others begin to leave he lets out a quiet "Finally," from under his breath and stops tapping his fingers incessantly. Standing up he tilts his neck side to side with an audible cracking sound before making his way to the door. Once he was outside he grabbed the rod that was attached to his belt. It was the only thing resembling a weapon that he carried on his person. Moving it from hand to hand while looking it over he finally stopped and held it in his left hand and waited for everyone else to exit the building.
    Why is it that every single D&D game is some super complex, heavy roleplay and skill based game that makes combat based characters dead weight? It's called Dungeons and Dragons, sometimes I just want to fight some Dragons in some Dungeons.

28. - Top - End - #58

EvilClericGuy

Victor watches a few members of the group leave, but waits for Marlek to pass around the drinks and sit down before speaking, "A strategy would be a good idea before we wade into this, in case a fight breaks out. Since we don't know one another's strengths - and some of our number have already gone ahead - I'd say we keep it simple." He looks around the table again and continues, "We seem to have a good mix of talent, so if we make a fluid frontline to keep them busy and try to focus our efforts and take them apart a piece at a time, that should be enough. Maybe...if someone who fights at range volunteers to spot targets for the other spellslingers to focus on, and us frontliners prioritise targets depending on the situation? One other thing - do we try to have some of us scout ahead or set up an ambush? I certainly tread softly enough to give it a try, but I can't do so alone."
    Last edited by allonym; 2014-01-14 at 05:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Oris turns to Victor and says Who is to say we have to go in bows aimed and swords drawn? If the guards have been bribed once, they can be bribed farther. Perhaps the plan should include taking down what we can of the ship with the least notice.
    Last edited by gac3; 2014-01-14 at 06:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

EvilClericGuy

"The city watch has been bribed, but apparently they won't be interfering anyway. I doubt the smugglers will be so easily dealt with - and if it were simply a matter of paying them off, I don't think our employer would have gone to the trouble of contracting us. This is going to take place on private property, away from prying eyes, so it seems to me that we'll have to expect violent resistance."