New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Oblongata Rising: A D&D 4E Campaign (IC)

OOC: Edit: The dragon is already dead, so never mind Will obviously be missing the rolls in my post.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by allonym; 2014-01-22 at 05:30 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

When Marlek's attacks hit the dragon, it roars, and collapses to one side. His lips part for a moment, and then he speaks in Draconic.

Spoiler: Draconic
    Show

"Castle... Edward Castle..."

That said, the dragon slumps back into the hold, falling the distance, splintering floorboards as it crashes to the floor, dead.

Spoiler: End of Encounter Breakdown
    Show

925 Experience:
    Ingleozonac- 750 Experience
    Peter Droverson- 175 Experience

133 Gold Pieces Found, along with additional loot (if you're savvy enough)

133 Gold Pieces from Pete's Pockets
    Spoiler: Perception DC 15, Upon Examining Pete's Corpse
    Show

Pearl Tooth worth 100 Gold Pieces

Spoiler: Upon Examining the hold of the Silver Titan
    Show

Approximately 2000 Gold Pieces of Fabrics
    Spoiler: Straight Intelligence DC 18, Upon Examining the hold of the Silver Titan
    Show

Some of the fabrics are threaded with expensive dyes and precious metals. The fabrics in the hold are worth closer to 3000 Gold Pieces, as opposed to your original guess of 2000.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

The battle finished, Abigail considered what she'd learned about her new allies. "Chandler grouped be up with a bunch of crazy people. ........... What does that say about me?" she quietly pondered as she patted Mittens.

She then called out to those on the boat, "So can the plank be raised so the rest of us can come aboard and take a look around? I'd also like to inspect a dragon up close now that I don't have to worry about it eating me."

4. - Top - End - #184

EvilClericGuy

Victor draws back his rapier, ready to stab, when the dragon collapses. After an awkward pause, he shrugs a little, cleans his blade, and sheathes both weapons. "Let's make sure there are no other nasty surprises down there." He peers into the hold, and his eyes widen. "Gods...there's cargo down here! Nothing moving, thankfully, but this is fine cloth!"

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Wooooo!" Alaric crows, delighted, "Loot! And then maybe steaks! Or possibly steaks first! Who's with me? My lady Monk and my lord Beastmaster, I believe I owe you some appreciation for your keeping me alive! Would a slice of the dearly departed Ingleozonac sate you?"

So saying, he heads down into the hold. As Victor appraises the cloth, Alaric appraises the tenderness of the dragon's thighs and flanks. Perhaps a rack of dragon ribs?

Spoiler
    Show
    Any skill checks the DM wishes to set on me to accomplish this purpose? Alaric's hardly got the intellect for canny looting.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herodofcows View Post
    "Wooooo!" Alaric crows, delighted, "Loot! And then maybe steaks! Or possibly steaks first! Who's with me? My lady Monk and my lord Beastmaster, I believe I owe you some appreciation for your keeping me alive! Would a slice of the dearly departed Ingleozonac sate you?"

So saying, he heads down into the hold. As Victor appraises the cloth, Alaric appraises the tenderness of the dragon's thighs and flanks. Perhaps a rack of dragon ribs?

Spoiler
    Show
    Any skill checks the DM wishes to set on me to accomplish this purpose? Alaric's hardly got the intellect for canny looting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is no skill that covers the butchering of dragons. How about you roll a d20, modified by your Strength and Dexterity modifiers, and you will reap dinner-y rewards based on the result.
    Spoiler
    Show

Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

ROLL FOR STEAK

(1d20+9)[17]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by herodofcows View Post
    ROLL FOR STEAK

[roll0]
    You don't have much experience with cutting apart reptiles of this size, but you manage to chop a significant amount of meat from the corpse of the dragon. You mangle much of the skin on the upward facing half of the beast, and, as you work, a pool of blood flows over the floor of the deck. You collect most of the meat from that half, but are incapable of flipping it over to move to the underside of the creature by yourself.

Now you face the task of transporting the meat, as well as the fabrics on the ship.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Volker, bobbing for dead pirates

Lowering his staff as the beast crashes to the floor of the ship, the handsome elementalist waves his hand and murmurs something in primordial as the zephyr fades away in a cloud of thin smoke. He winks at Abigail and then helps fish the body of Pete out of the water using his staff and rope (without getting wet, of course), hopeful to find some artifacts.

Afterwards, he heads on-board the ship to see the beast up close and grab a scale for a memento along with a tooth or claw (whichever is easiest to cut out with his knife now that his new friend hacked him open a bit). He smiles good naturedly at Alaric, both impressed and a little repulsed. "You never know when these things could come in handy. There is magic in the blood of dragons, I was told. Never heard of a dragon diet however. Let me know how the digestion work out!"
    Moorhollow total d20 rolls: 8 (by #237)
    Natural 20's = 0, Natural 1's = 1

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl11 View Post
    Volker, bobbing for dead pirates

Lowering his staff as the beast crashes to the floor of the ship, the handsome elementalist waves his hand and murmurs something in primordial as the zephyr fades away in a cloud of thin smoke. He winks at Abigail and then helps fish the body of Pete out of the water using his staff and rope (without getting wet, of course), hopeful to find some artifacts.

Afterwards, he heads on-board the ship to see the beast up close and grab a scale for a memento along with a tooth or claw (whichever is easiest to cut out with his knife now that his new friend hacked him open a bit). He smiles good naturedly at Alaric, both impressed and a little repulsed. "You never know when these things could come in handy. There is magic in the blood of dragons, I was told. Never heard of a dragon diet however. Let me know how the digestion work out!"
    Pete himself has nothing in his pockets but the gold, but you remember him shedding his coat when he first dropped into the water. You don't see it floating on the surface, so it must have sunk to the bottom.
    Tooth will probably be easier, all told.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191

Planetar

Aurelios Human Swordmage|Wizard
    Character Sheet | Description

Aurelios guides the bloody swirl of sea water back out over the bay and releases his hold on it. A suudenthunderous splashes echoes in the night as the water returns to its former sea bound state. He helps whomever may decide to pull Pete out of the water by walking across the gentle lapping waves to tie a rope around the limp, water logged old man. He is quite unsure what to do with the man. Perhaps the local authorties would have interest in him, though Aurelios is unsure about the legality of his murder.

As they exam the hold Aurelios makes note of fabric, "Interesting, this fabric is crafted with midnight glossamar, a most rare weave. It is easily worth half again as much as a normal bolt of such fabric. I always marvelled at the quality in the Cloud Market growing up. It is odd though, while valuable this cargo hardly seems worthy trade for a relic stolen from a dragon's hoard. I wonder what the Dragon intended to trade or offer for its scimitar back?" Aurelios will help whomever plans to take the bolts with the group.

He ignores the buthering of the dragon and as some struggle with the meat, he inquires, "I wonder if we should not return to Chandler soon? This affair seems to be more than he had portrayed, or, I suspect, more than he thought we were in for. Also, is it not poosible that the Revolutionary may start to wonder about the whereabouts of his tardy visitor? We may have some trouble on our hands the more we delay."
    Last edited by Yarael; 2014-01-22 at 10:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail stares in shock as the dragon is being chopped up. After she shakes herself out of it she shouts over, "What are you doing!? Do you know how much that thing is worth!? Or have any idea what eating that will do to you!?"

Spoiler
    Show

And since I brought up the questions....

Arcana for worth of whole dragon carcass (I'm assuming to wizards and the like, not to butchers): (1d20+11)[26]

Arcana for effects of eating dragon meat: (1d20+11)[12]

(If I get a nat 1 on that second one I'm going to hope the GM tells me nothing (other than if I failed, who knows dragon meat might be well known to arcane learned people to be poisonous) and just lets me make up something ridiculous.)

Edit: rofl, actually called a nat 1.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2014-01-22 at 11:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Abigail stares in shock as the dragon is being chopped up. After she shakes herself out of it she shouts over, "What are you doing!? Do you know how much that thing is worth!? Or have any idea what eating that will do to you!?"

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana for worth of whole dragon carcass (I'm assuming to wizards and the like, not to butchers): [roll0]

Arcana for effects of eating dragon meat: [roll1]

(If I get a nat 1 on that second one I'm going to hope the GM tells me nothing (other than if I failed, who knows dragon meat might be well known to arcane learned people to be poisonous) and just lets me make up something ridiculous.)

The value of a dragon carcass varies widely, but you can recall one instance where an ancient wyrm fetched a king's ransom. Young dragons, while rare, only would sell for about a thousand gold, since the scales are yet to be fully hardened and the bone structure is more cartilage than hardened bone thus far.

The meat... well, you're not too sure what eating a dragon will do.
    Last edited by Creed; 2014-01-22 at 11:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek slumped to the ground, a wave of exhaustion washing over him. He felt one heck of a headache; but that was to be expected with his kind of abilities. He quickly recalled the cloth and hid it before anyone else could see the symbol so proudly inscribed onto it. It was not good memories.

Once he felt his head clear, he looked down into the water and focused.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Far Hand to bring Pete's JACKET up. Assuming it's not lined with lead or anything.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Marlek slumped to the ground, a wave of exhaustion washing over him. He felt one heck of a headache; but that was to be expected with his kind of abilities. He quickly recalled the cloth and hid it before anyone else could see the symbol so proudly inscribed onto it. It was not good memories.

Once he felt his head clear, he looked down into the water and focused.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Far Hand to bring Pete's JACKET up. Assuming it's not lined with lead or anything.
    It takes some effort, but you fish the coat out of the water.
    A wad of soaked papers are inside the leather coat, sticking outside of an interior pocket. Another pocket holds a small pocket watch, which is no longer running.
    Last edited by Creed; 2014-01-22 at 11:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Marlek tiredly fished out the contents of the coat, and with a moment's thought, he decided to keep it all. The coat would make a good disguise if they were to meet the Revolutionary. The idea made him remember the times he had to don disguises...and reminded him the very real threat that was coming. The job was done; he fulfilled his part of the bargain. He could collect his money and leave right now. He should collect his money and leave right now. But the mystery was unsettling, and it spoke volumes about some greater force than them.

It's none of your business, he tried to reassure himself, to little success.

Keeping the pocket watch, he glances over the soaked papers, trying to make heads or tails of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+7)[27]

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Spoiler
    Show

Arcana for worth of whole dragon carcass (I'm assuming to wizards and the like, not to butchers): [roll0]

Arcana for effects of eating dragon meat: [roll1]

Alaric pauses over a large portion of flank.

"Um . . . I know that there's no way in hell that we can safely secure and transport all of this meat without attracting notice and thieves, regardless of its potential worth. I know that I quite nearly got my @$$ beat, and that this job wasn't what we were led to believe. I know that I could be dead tomorrow, and that I have the chance to eat like a king now . . . so, tartare, or are we grilling this sucker?"
    Last edited by herodofcows; 2014-01-23 at 12:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    Marlek tiredly fished out the contents of the coat, and with a moment's thought, he decided to keep it all. The coat would make a good disguise if they were to meet the Revolutionary. The idea made him remember the times he had to don disguises...and reminded him the very real threat that was coming. The job was done; he fulfilled his part of the bargain. He could collect his money and leave right now. He should collect his money and leave right now. But the mystery was unsettling, and it spoke volumes about some greater force than them.

It's none of your business, he tried to reassure himself, to little success.

Keeping the pocket watch, he glances over the soaked papers, trying to make heads or tails of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: [roll0]
    One paper in the middle of the stack is only moistened, and some rough outlines of the writing on it remain. It appears to be a flow chart, though the combination of the running ink, moist paper, and wild handwriting makes it difficult to discern the details. Otherwise, the papers are ruined.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail shakes her head and opts to just inform Alaric of the parts that would be valuable for sale so he doesn't eat those and checks to see how much of those parts can fit in the barrels. ((See guys, we really should have brought all the barrels.))

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Abigail shakes her head and opts to just inform Alaric of the parts that would be valuable for sale so he doesn't eat those and checks to see how much of those parts can fit in the barrels. ((See guys, we really should have brought all the barrels.))
    Most of the meat can fit inside the barrels, but transporting the now-full containers may prove difficult.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #201

Planetar

Aurelios keeps watch at the entry to the dock while the group continues their pillaging. He strikes up conversation with anyone who joins him.

"I have not known Chandler long, and know not the politics of this city. Is it common for Dragons to come and go freely here. In my home city all matter of creatures from elementals to dragon themselves were not terribly uncommon, but I thought in Toril proper such sightings were far rarer."

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yarael View Post

Aurelios keeps watch at the entry to the dock while the group continues their pillaging. He strikes up conversation with anyone who joins him.

"I have not known Chandler long, and know not the politics of this city. Is it common for Dragons to come and go freely here. In my home city all matter of creatures from elementals to dragon themselves were not terribly uncommon, but I thought in Toril proper such sightings were far rarer."
    Oris joins Aurelios. "I've known Chandler for quite some time, though I admit not very well. As for dragons, I'd never seen one. I apologize for my rashness earlier. I hadn't realized the Pete was serving the dragon, rather than the dragon being Pete's captive. I acted before thinking and put us all at danger. I apologize."
    Last edited by gac3; 2014-01-23 at 03:55 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203

EvilClericGuy

Victor stows his sunrod in his bag and unties and resecures his rope, trying then leaps off the boat onto the jetty. Clearly in a hurry to get away from the deck, he strides over to join Aurelios, keeping a hand on the hilt of his sword. "I have never before seen a dragon, only heard tales, so you are correct in saying they are rare here. I must say, I was disappointed. It went down in seconds. I'm not well-versed in Waterdeep - in fact, I'd rather not be in this city at all - but I can tell you, this feels fishy. Chandler is known to me. He was...a family friend. But there's been something strange about this venture from the outset. I'd like nothing better than to put this place to my heels before it gets any worse, but I feel I am bound to see this through."

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Abigail chimes in with, "I agree with you for the most part Victor, especially about wanting to leave soon. Though you may have meant the dock, I'd like to quit Waterdeep entirely as soon as I can. I spent most of my life here and this was my first dragon. However, this one was a child, I imagine if it were even equivalent to a teenager we would have been in serious trouble. Still it was exciting wasn't it!?"

25. - Top - End - #205

Planetar

"Oris, you had no way of knowing the dragon was here freely, and we rose to the challenge of overcoming a dragon. That is impressive indeed. What a tale this would make, if I had someone to share it with." Aurelios looks downcast for a moment, "I doubt the gardener would be amused.

Chandler was certainly scared of something, but I believed him when he said that he did not think there was anything dangerous about the cargo. Technically he was right, as it were. The clothe poses no threat. Now the presumed owner of the said clothe, that was a different matter entirely.

And yes, it was thrilling to face such a challenge!"
    The color of a sun lit day returns to the arcanist face. It is clear that the elements dance with him.
    Last edited by Yarael; 2014-01-23 at 05:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206

EvilClericGuy

Victor sighs. "It's one thing to enjoy the challenge, but I'd caution against taking life-and-death combat so lightly. Killing should never be fun. Now...this Oblongata group...thing. That's worrying. But there's something else, too. It's been a long time since I previously saw Chandler, or his father, but I don't recall them having any tattoo. I take it you noticed his mark?"

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

The talking about leaving stirred something in Marlek. Standing up, he kept whatever he got from Pete, shivering in the cool air of the night.

"I...have to leave as well. This place isn't safe for me...no place is safe for me. I just need to keep moving, and quickly. Let's get back to Chandler as soon as possible. Mark or not. If you want excitement, Abigail, you can join me on the road. I've had enough excitement for a long time to come."

28. - Top - End - #208

Planetar

"I had, though the meaning of the tattoo escaped me. I have no idea how recent it was, having only met him once before." Aurelios laughs for a moment, "Before the dragon answered, I had the ridiculous thought that we had been brought here to slay the dragon it brain could be harvested for the Oblongata, given their name and interest in science."

Aurelios pauses a moment to watch the continued butchering, "Although... given the infatuation with slaughtering the poor beast, I wonder." Aurelios's voice tapered off into a breeze.
    Last edited by Yarael; 2014-01-23 at 05:47 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

"I noticed the mark as well, but I don't know what it means either." Abigail adds.

"I think I'll take you up on that offer. Though I'd certainly feel safer if it was more than just the two of us." she says with a smile to Marlek then turns to see if anyone else is interested.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Oris says to Abigail and Marlek, I will stand with you all. Whatever paths you choose. This seems to be the path most likely to enable me to redeem myself.