New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1479
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: RWBY III: These kids just keep getting weirder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I'm lacking a bit of context on this line of discussion given that the start of it is presumably buried somewhere in all the TL;DR, but I'm just going to drop a reminder that Remnant is very much a fantasy setting, and one of the central tenets of fantasy settings is generally that open carry is universally taken for granted no matter the specific weapons being carried.
    I suppose. But given that this is a futuristic urban society instead of a medieval hellhole of bandits and brigands, I would have expected a different take.

Like, Hunter x Hunter has a similar type of modern world where there's deadly monsters roaming about, and there are incredibly-powerful people walking the streets sometimes with deadly weaponry. And there's nothing anyone can really do about it because hardly anyone's powerful enough to stop them, despite being able to potentially achieve similar levels of strength. Then there are some children walking around with this same strength and no one bats an eye at it; in fact they're often incredibly proud and happily amazed. And the series has no qualms about showing just how this world is an absolutely terrible place to live, despite the deceptively upbeat tone.

Just think about the kids that are successful in that society. The revenge-obsessed serial killer-killer. The family trained as assassins since they were toddlers. The twelve-year-old Ubermensch with an incredibly skewed set of moral values. And it does all this with a normal upbeat shonen tone while there's that nagging bit in the back of your mind about just how wrong all of this is and it's brilliant.

I'm on sort of a different tangent from the original conversation, but a question to ask is what kind of kids would choose to fight terrible monsters for a career in RWBY? Volume 1 actually did take some steps towards answering this question for three of its characters, which is great, and I hope it's explored further.
    Last edited by Gespenst Ritter; 2014-07-15 at 11:00 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Barbarian in the Playground

Who's doing the next thread? Is it too early to start coming up with names, given that there'll likely be something from the next volume that works well?

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

This is the thread that Once got it worked out to were "Suggesting thread titles is our favorite hobby" was a serious contender for a thread title.

But yeah, might be just a touch early on that front unless the first few eps of the new series turn out to be just totally useless for new thread title material.

Ritter: Um, one of the marks of there sation WAS there weapons. But yeah, there are any number of reasons they can legally do that with out anyone batting an eye. Some of which I'd prefer not to get into cause it involves delving into modern real world laws, politics and recent history and that's against board rules and a good way to get me kicked off the site.
    "I Burn!"

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gespenst Ritter View Post
    I suppose. But given that this is a futuristic urban society instead of a medieval hellhole of bandits and brigands, I would have expected a different take.
    RWBY is like Star Wars: A sci-fi setting draped over a fantasy story. As such, it is also like Star Wars in that the open carry of high-powered firearms and other assorted weaponry is considered neither remarkable nor especially uncommon.

I'm on sort of a different tangent from the original conversation, but a question to ask is what kind of kids would choose to fight terrible monsters for a career in RWBY? Volume 1 actually did take some steps towards answering this question for three of its characters, which is great, and I hope it's explored further.
    Hunters as discussed and portrayed so far are more or less the Knight in Shining Armor archetype, so I imagine that the typical answer to that question will be most similar to Ruby's or Jaune's.

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    But yeah, might be just a touch early on that front unless the first few eps of the new series turn out to be just totally useless for new thread title material.
    I second waiting for fresh fodder.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ritter: Um, one of the marks of there sation WAS there weapons.
    That's a fair point. Swords were an upper-class weapon back then.

I guess we can't really say for certain how easy it is for the common person to get Hunter weaponry is in Remnant without more information.

Going on the opposite tangent from open-carry, the transformable nature of Hunter weapons might allow a terrorist to more easily smuggle in an unauthorized weapon. Something along the lines of Torchwick's cane, or what that CFVY girl's purse would be if it didn't display all of the ammo clips.

EDIT:

Hunters as discussed and portrayed so far are more or less the Knight in Shining Armor archetype, so I imagine that the typical answer to that question will be most similar to Ruby's or Jaune's.
    I think we've had a wider range of motivations than that out of the named characters so far.

Ruby is an idealist who wants to be a Huntress to help people.
    Jaune feels pressured to live up to a family legacy he's not truly prepared for.
    Weiss has been pressured to live up to a family legacy and has been expressly prepared for it.
    Blake has been fighting most of her life; it's almost all she knows and hopes she can do some good with the skills.
    Last edited by Gespenst Ritter; 2014-07-15 at 07:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm honestly sorta burned on it myself.

So, crazy weapons ideas, go!

Buzz-saw Uzi-Chains!
    "Gradus Option" style rocket guns. That turn into throwing daggers.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

We need to petition monty to have a character whose weapon's melee form is a gyrspike.

Ooh, ooh, obviously the morningstar half of the gyrspike is a massive diamond, and the sword half is some kind of laser gun that only functions if focused through the diamond. The most impractical weapon.
    Last edited by shadow_archmagi; 2014-07-16 at 04:32 PM.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    "Gradus Option" style rocket guns. That turn into throwing daggers.
    Trigger words acknowledged... Memory returning...

I may not load a mass driver with lightsabers. No, not even then.
    Checkmate.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    We need to petition monty to have a character whose weapon's melee form is a gyrspike.

Ooh, ooh, obviously the morningstar half of the gyrspike is a massive diamond, and the sword half is some kind of laser gun that only functions if focused through the diamond. The most impractical weapon.
    Hey, no referencing the Exotic Weapons lists, that's cheating.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Colossus in the Playground

I'll be honest, I don't ACTUALLY think the weapons are that unique in this series. Scythegun I've seen before, Weiss's is interesting but simple and cool. Yang's wristgun gauntlet things are pretty cool. Blake's weapon is still stupid.

Maybe I'm just spoiled, because I've seen "my own coffin that is also a gun" happen once.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Titan in the Playground

Surely we're not starting a "list of cool guns" without mentioning the Punisher, are we?

Spoiler: No, Not That Punisher
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Colossus in the Playground

Surely we're not starting a "list of cool guns" without mentioning the Punisher, are we?

Spoiler: No, Not That Punisher
    Show
    Wasn't starting a list of cool guns, was just noting that I've seen a lot weirder then what RWBY presents, and much more skillfully executed (like the Punisher here, or the above mentioned coffin thing).

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Dwarf in the Playground

When Blake has her sword in Ribbon-Gun mode, I've always wondered how she manages to pull the trigger whenever she throws it away.

My personal Volume 1 weapon Tier List:

S+: Penny, Ruyi Bang and Jingu Bang
    S: Wilt and Blush
    A: Crescent Rose, Gambol Shroud, Myrtenaster, Magnhild
    B: Ember Celica, Miló and Akoúo̱, Junior's Bazooka, Glynda's Crop
    C: Crocea Mors, Melodic Cudgel, Miltia's Claws, Melanie's Heels, Cardin's Mace
    D: Stormflower
    Blunderaxe: Blunderaxe

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Dwarf in the Playground

A couple of weapons I've come up with include a claymore/zwei-hander/greatsword that has its blade split to become a railgun and what can basically be described as War Machine that collapses into a suitcase/backback ala Iron Man 2. The animation issues aside, I'd love to see what Monty could do with an Iron Man suit in RWBY.

14. - Top - End - #1184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I was at a local convention, San-Japan, Friday and to my surprise, at the RWBY photoshoot, Sheena and Monty were there! I got a picture with Monty, but I blinked.

15. - Top - End - #1185

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    I was at a local convention, San-Japan, Friday and to my surprise, at the RWBY photoshoot, Sheena and Monty were there! I got a picture with Monty, but I blinked.
    Pics or it didn't happen! Na seriously, glad you enjoyed yourself, conventions were never really my thing but I'm glad some like them. Anything interesting happen?

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

I don't have that picture uploaded yet, but I got the picture of my RWBY DVD case signed on my ipad, so that I put that up on my tumblr.

EDIT: Finally got it uploaded!
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2014-07-21 at 02:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1187

Just one more day...... Here's hoping it's good!

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

Does anyone know what time the ep is coming out? 6pm? 7pm? (I'm in Florida on the east coast if it helps.)
    "I Burn!"

19. - Top - End - #1189

Does anyone know what time the ep is coming out? 6pm? 7pm? (I'm in Florida on the east coast if it helps.)
    Are you a member? Sponsor? If sponsor it should be 5pm CT, 2 hours later for the general public and half an hour before that for members. Being from the UK I have no idea what time CT is but I know I'll watch it Friday morning so no biggie.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

And I'm just one hour ahead (São Paulo).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

Member but not a sponser. 6:30pm for me then. Sorry for spelling errors, on a phone.
    "I Burn!"

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ogre in the Playground

So that would be 8 PM EST, 5 PM PST, 1 AM GMT. 2 hours earlier for sponsors, half an hour earlier for members.

Myself, I'm glad I'm not a sponsor. I couldn't resist not gushing about it to my non-sponsor friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Why's it behind an "Adult Content" login-wall?

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1195

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    Sorry, I'm gonna wait for the legit release of the episode. Have fun though.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ogre in the Playground

Mercury reminds me of Quicksilver.

Now all we need is a character named Hydragyrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    The Joker is supposed to be a nightmarish figure, the culmination of all things despicable and horrible about mankind. Of course he's a hipster.

27. - Top - End - #1197

*cracks knuckle* okay, let's get on with this. I'll start off by saying that whilst I appreciate any and all RWBY news, I prefer to view it on the RT site or their YouTube channel, if only because I think they deserve the money they'll get from ad revenue. It won't be loads, but I think with all the work they've put in the least I can do is watch it legit. /mini rant

Spoiler: Volume 2 Chapter 1
    Show
    Well, Mercury and Emerald certainly have more to them than they did last season. Also, Blake is totally obsessed with Adam form her trailer. Sun's teammate is pretty much the definition of 'cool' and that foodfight was awesome.

Also, I think Pyrrha is electric. Or something. Glynda's line was obvious but good. Can anyone else tell that Gray is a professional voice actor? Because I can. Torchwick now seems like a genuine threat! There were about a million RvB references in that as well.

28. - Top - End - #1198

Quote Originally Posted by Mrc. View Post
    Spoiler: Volume 2 Chapter 1 snippet
    Show
    Also, I think Pyrrha is electric. Or something.
    In Jaunedice Part 2, Pyrrha said her Semblance is magnetism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Savage
    Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

29. - Top - End - #1199

Quote Originally Posted by PallElendro View Post
    In Jaunedice Part 2, Pyrrha said her Semblance is magnetism.
    Spoiler: Linked to above episode
    Show
    Yeah, but there's a difference between magnetism and actually having lightning flow across the ground. What did you think of it? Remember to keep it in spoilers.

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Titan in the Playground

...Wait, is it the 24th? I thought it was like the 22nd.

*goes to watch episode*
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-07-24 at 07:46 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting