New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Equipment for a hammer thrower

I'm building a lvl 14 character to join an already started campaign, and I find it difficult to spend my money.

First things first, the build.

Spoiler
    Show

LG Earth Dwarf, Moradin Cleric 4 / Warblade 2 / Bloodstorm Blade 4 / Battlesmith 1 / Hammer of Moradin 3.

Stats (after items) are: 26 14 18 10 18 7. He gets 2x STR and 1x WIS to damage.

Feats: law devotion (law domain) - weapon focus (war domain) - weapon specialization - melee weapon mastery - endurance - iron will - power attack - pulverize foe - point blank shot - rapid shot - precise shot (precise weapon) - far shot (helm)

Every turn I sacrifice a swift action to make a ranged full attack, using STR to hit. This costs me no maneuvres, since Hammer of Moradin grants me throwing and returning.

Items I'm going to buy:
    helm of the hunter: far shot
    gauntlets of extended range: double range
    gauntlets of war: +3 damage with deity weapon
    iron heart precise earthbound large warhammer
    strongarm bracers: use larger weapons
    reliquary holy symbol: turn undead uses
    amulet of fortune prevailing: reroll s.t. 1/day
    nightstick: turn undead uses
    crystal of return lesser: quick draw
    crystal mask of mindarmor: +4 will
    goggles of foefinding: ignore cover
    boots of speed: haste 10 rounds/day
    lesser vigor wand
    wisdom +3 item
    dexterity +1 item
    strength +5 item
    resistance +3 item

This leaves me with more or less 25.000 gp to spend.

AC is simply too costly to invest in, so no natural armor or deflection. I prefer lowish ACP armors, too.
    Swift activation items are suboptimal since this build works on swift actions.
    Flight in combat is not needed, while I can rely on my party when out of combat.
    Enemies often have True Seeing, blurry and similar are not that useful.
    I personally find little use of fortification or death ward.

I thought about Bracers of Archery, but they do not work with a hammer.
    I thought about Serpent Armor, but being a thrower I won't threaten enemies often.

Are there any useful armor special properties? Or any good specific armor?
    I would love to have an item granting me Greater Magic Weapon or Greater Mighty Wallop, but I found none. Are there any?
    In our party the only caster is a high UMD factotum, would it work to buy him a runestaff?

Thank you in advance for your help and sorry for the writeup.
    Last edited by noce; 2016-09-24 at 04:19 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Equipment for a hammer thrower

Quote Originally Posted by noce View Post
    I would love to have an item granting me Greater Magic Weapon or Greater Mighty Wallop, but I found none. Are there any?
    You can make a wand of those, but it would be very expensive, especially sice you want CL-dependant effects. And item that grants you Might Wallop would be more effective of a wand, since it's about as expensive as a CLW one and you gain the same effect as the CL7 Greater Mighty Wallop, a more expensive wand, would grant you.

Of course, if you have a factotum, you could ask it to simply cast the GMW spell on you. It would cut down on the few spells a factotum has per day, but in all honesty, a factotum is not a primary spellcaster anyway.

Magic Weapon follows the same rule: The normal version is more affordable than a high-CL magic item of the greater version.

For armor... I believe Ocular could be helpful (it grants all-around vision, stops you from being flanked and gives you a Spot and Search bonus). Though I suppose that it would be more of a personal preference than the best choice...

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Name1 View Post
    Of course, if you have a factotum, you could ask it to simply cast the GMW spell on you.

For armor... I believe Ocular could be helpful.
    Two helpful suggestions here.
    The Ocular armor is simply great, since I've got uncanny dodge too, so sneak attacks are a nuisance no more.

So, ~21.000gp left, what now?

EDIT: feel free to suggest expensive items too, I can make room for 50.000gp items if they're worth it.
    Last edited by noce; 2016-09-24 at 05:50 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noce View Post
    Teeth of Dahlver-Nar (Leraje) [ToM p.79]. GMW 1/day, CL 20. 21,600gp. Due to the rules of the teeth, though, you'll be under the influence of a vestige and show its sign. In this case that means you'll be quiet and unassuming, won't be able to attack elves, and also look sickly and diseased.

5. - Top - End - #5

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Teeth of Dahlver-Nar (Leraje) [ToM p.79]. GMW 1/day, CL 20. 21,600gp. Due to the rules of the teeth, though, you'll be under the influence of a vestige and show its sign. In this case that means you'll be quiet and unassuming, won't be able to attack elves, and also look sickly and diseased.
    I know about it, but I don't see making pacts with dubious elf beings an in-character thing for a LG cleric of Moradin.
    Moreover, as a dwarf I truly wouldn't like to look sick and diseased in a heavily racist campaign.

But thank you for your help anyway, it's much appreciated.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Could always get spme shapesand.

Haversack and travel cloak cover storage, food, water and shelter.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2016-09-25 at 12:25 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!