Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default GITP Chat Pathfinder Campaign IC

OOC

GitP Chat Pathfinder Campaign IC
    --

12:00, Sunday, Midsummer, 4713 AR
    The Silver Stoat, Heldren, Taldor, Avistan, Golarion, Prime Material Plane

The sleepy village of Heldren in southern Taldor has rarely been filled with so much excitement and concern. After a week of jubilation in preparation for the upcoming summer solstice, something isn't quite right. Hunters from the nearby Border Wood in the west speak of an unnatural cold that's descended upon the woods. A progressively heavy snow has since followed, and those who've returned spoke of an uneasy presence in the woods, as well as new, dangerous predators. No one knows what this event means, and the town's soothsayer, Old Mother Theodora, claims dark times lie ahead.

Still, the show must go on, and so it has--the evidence of which can be found strewn across the floor of the Silver Stoat tavern. The site of one last preparatory party, most local revelers left the tavern a little after midnight, though a few outsiders remained. With the chiming on the noontime bell in the town hall across the square, the tavern's inhabitants are finally coming to rejoin the land of the living. And just in time for a midday meal!

One of the Silver Stoat's proprietors, a woman by the name of Kale Garimos, stands behind the bar, chatting with local consummate drinker, Lodi. Seated next to Lodi is an elven outsider by the name of Sahir; very much so hungover, he has only just begun to stir from his rest. Noticing the sorry bastard's arousal, Kale's ordered her husband, Menander, to make him some of his hearty stew. Coming down the stairs from one of the tavern's few rooms is a beautiful, undine bard who blew in to town the night before. Everything but her name a mystery, she called herself Urhana, and her singing was wildly popular the night before. At the same time, a ratfolk by the name of Reguba enters the building. Having spent the previous night at the tavern, he was somehow capable of waking up at a more reasonable hour. He returns to the Silver Stoat after a brisk walk around the town square.

Nodding and smiling to Reguba upon his return, Kale turns back to Lodi to continue their conversation, "I just don't know what to think about this weather. Magic of some kind, must be. Though I suppose you'd know more about that than I..." Her thoughts trail off and she shouts back in to the cooking area, "You done with that stew yet? This one's going to need it!" She pats Sahir on the arm, "Sorry 'bout that sweetie, we'll have something out for you soon."

--

Spoiler: Character Sheets
    Show
    Sahir Gaelwyth -Elf Barbarian - Amidus Drexel
    "Sir" Misuog Reguba - Ratfolk Cavalier - Mutant Sheep
    Urhana - Undine Bard - Silverrida
    Lodi, "Lady Di" - Human Oracle - Taet
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2015-09-07 at 12:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GITP Chat Pathfinder Campaign IC

Not that the weather will stop Lodi. She has got the traditional young lady's midsummer outfit of showing as much skin as possible. Goose bumps, back tattoo, and all. It says monk more than it says magic. "Oh no idea Kale hon. Though I could try. Just pour me a large breakfast so I can look into it?" Her voice goes up on the end of that. Her voice goes up on the end of everything she says. She holds up both her hands to hold up the imaginary double wide double handled wine cup. It is supposed to be used in drinking contests with two people.
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.
    Please send a PM or an email! _______ Tea served in a student cafe in Seattle

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Sahir tenses up as Lodi's voice grows higher and higher pitched. Grumbling indistinctly, he manages to mumble out a gruff, "Thanks," to the proprietor, as he buries his head under his hands. Dammit woman, not so loud!

Briefly raising his head to look up around the tavern, Sahir takes in his surroundings, shielding his eyes from what feels like unnaturally bright light. He squints at Lodi in surprise and wonder as she orders even more wine. Grinning like a fool, he gives her a hearty slap on the back and speaks, this time with his usual timbre and volume - deep, and just shy of bellowing. "You had twice what I drank, Lady-Lodi! How are you not -argh, blast, my ears-" He continues at a decibel level more suited for casual conversation, now holding a hand to the side of his head. "How in the gods' names are you... You're still drunk, aren't you?"

Sahir laughs heartily, then leans back in his chair, still clutching his head in his hands. "But enough about last night - I'll mourn my empty coin-purse another day." He turns his head around to squint at Kale. "Ain't no kinda weather for the summer solstice. Midsummer snowstorms are a bad omen of some kind, I'd wager."
    A few odds and ends.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kale turns back to Lodi, remarking, "Probably the work of some arcanist, then. Maybe we'll get some imperial wizards over from Zimar. Or maybe even down the capitol! Those Qadirans have been quiet for some time now, wouldn't surprise me if they tried something sneaky like this while our guard's down." Finishing her thought, she out a wine glass and a bottle, pouring delicately before handing it over. "When's the last time you've actually eaten your breakfast, anyway?"

No sooner than the words had left her mouth, Menander enters from the kitchen with the stew. A big, burly type, his physical stature obfuscates his loving nature. Setting the bowl of food down in front of Sahir, he comments, "I hope you aren't one of those elves who refuses meat! You don't look the type, so I though it'd be okay to throw some in. We've had some slim pickings of game lately, what with the hunters being thrown off by the snow in the woods, but there's a good amount of rabbit in there. Also plenty of potatoes and other vegetables. Should definitely do you some good."
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2015-04-11 at 01:13 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Sahir leans forward and smells the stew, and a wide smile lazily spreads across his face. He reaches around Menander's waist and gives him a big one-armed hug, then says, "You're a saint! No, meat doesn't bother me - you grow up in the mountains, you can't be a picky eater!"

Sahir releases the chef, then begins to eat the stew with all the grace, finesse, and speed of a hungry barbarian. "Hunters being thrown off by the snow, eh? You know, it's been a while since I did any hunting - I might could offer to give them a hand - though if we're only hunting rabbit I'd need to borrow a bow." The elf chuckles, then mimes tossing a javelin. "I could spear 'em alright, but there wouldn't be much left to eat, haha!"

He pauses for a second - still eating, of course - then turns back to Lodi and Kale. He resumes talking, his normally clear voice now muffled by half-chewed rabbit and potato. "Would they? I never knew wizards to do magic with the weather? Though, I do wonder - is this just happening here, or are other places cold now too? The road here yesterday and the day before were bright and warm until we got close to town, but... hm." He finishes his bite, then scratches his chin. "And I didn't hear anything about it when I was in the capital either."
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2015-04-11 at 01:40 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Walking up silently to the table, Sir Reguba announces his presence with the voice one would expect coming from a ratman just over four feet tall. "Qadirans haven't seen snow in their lives, like they would know how to conjure up winter in midsummer. It is cold out there, and it sure didn't seem like the snow was melting. I hope it goes south, give those sun loving loons some weather to remember."

Realizing he failed to introduce himself, he straightens his normally slightly hunched back and attempts to deepen his voice, saying, "Oh yes. Sir Reguba, Order of Malkariss -you've probably never heard of it -member of the local Sentinels, and currently craving a delicious lunch, at your service. I'll pass on the rabbit meat, though." Finally noticing Sahir's ears, Reguba is taken a bit aback, and looks for a place to sit. "Going to need something warm if it's going to stay like that out there."
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2015-04-11 at 02:44 AM.
    Can only thank GitP for being so good for so long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    I'm probably hilarious far off, aren't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracon1us View Post
    don't feed the troll...

A pile of thanks piled on other thanks to Teddy for photorealistic avatar.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Menander laughs a bullish laugh. "Aye, I suppose that's true. And you're at least somewhat used to the cold, then?" He pauses. "Don't know what all there is to say about the hunting. The local game's not been fairing well, sure, but ... According to the hunters, it seems new, more climate-appropriate beasts are making up for it. Not that they're the most reliable types, talking up their kills and the like."

Kale turns to Sahir, "Good to see the stew's doing you some good. Menander's quite good in the kitchen. Isn't that right?" She reaches up to give her husband a pinch on the cheek, but he swats her hand away, blushing the whole time, before she can do so. "And I suppose I'm not exactly fit to comment. Don't know nothing of magic myself, just thought there might be a chance." She taps the bar counter with her fingers, almost as if it were a piano. "Nothing in Oppara, then? Hmmm. We've all be so preoccupied with the festivities and the snow... I guess no one's bothered to take the news to the capitol. Perhaps councilwoman Teppen can organize a messenger to take this to the Senate."

Her attention then moving on to the new arrival, she ever-so-slightly sarcastically addresses the freshly introduced Reguba, "I see you're still your typical self despite the atypical weather, Sir. I'll take that to mean you've enjoyed your morning walk, then? I'm sure this fine husband of mine can scrounge you up something warm--and rabbit-less--to feed that empty belly of yours." She gives Menander a pat on the back, signaling him back to the kitchen.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2015-04-11 at 01:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"Oy, look what we have here!" Sahir hits the table once or twice, then beckons for Reguba to join them. "Take a seat, Sir Reguba! I've never heard of your order, no, but we have got the delicious food!"

Noticing the ratman looking at his ears, Sahir tilts his head to the left and pulls his hair out of the way to show off his right ear. It's much shorter than his left and has a mangled, jagged edge, and a few scar lines run through it down along the side of his neck. "She's a beauty, ain't she? Let's just say, ah... me and big cats go way back."

Sahir picks up the bowl and slurps down the last of the broth, then leans back, satisfied. Turning to Menander, he says, "Aye, cold's never bothered me much. Hunters making things up, eh? Wouldn't be the first time, haha!" Sahir lowers his voice a little, and takes a more serious tone. "I wouldn't look forward to running into winter beasts of any sort, though - I never came across one that wasn't tough as nails, and vicious to boot. He shakes his head. "Especially the wolves."
    A few odds and ends.

9. - Top - End - #9

"Sahir. Ladies do not get drunk. We glow." She lifts up the cup and says a little blessing. The wine gets a little bit of glow to it too. But she looks into the cup and does not look pleased. "I do it just like Old Mother Theodora does over a pail of water, but I just don't get any pictures of what's to come. Cheers." Lodi sits up straight and respectful for the first long swallow.

And dips in and out of the conversation to come. When she is there she is there. When she lifts the sacred cup nobody else is there for her. Yes. Maybe not drunk exactly but halfway there? "Did Ma complain about the snow the last time she came to visit? I stopped listening after she said for the hundrethd time I should move back home." , drink, drop out, tune in. "Take the news? All the way to the Senate? But midsummer! I have to practice the jokes for the no laughing contest and work the tavern table and."

"I got volunteered by Da then."
    , drink, drop out and tune in with a new person around. "Sir-Reguba! Oh hi! I'm Lodi welcome to our little town. It is not always this cold." , shiver, drink, tune out, drop in. "Wolves? More than one? Da taught us all how to set a spear for one tough beastie. But what do you even do with more than one?"
    I have found a RL gaming group but I'm willing to meet other GitP people nearby.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

An obnoxious smirk darts across Reguba's face as Sahir acknowledges the brilliant obscurity of his chosen order, which morphs into a look of instinctual fear once he shows and explains his ear. "More like your sword goes way back into their soon-to-be corpse, am I right?" Reguba is now rather blatantly staring at Sahir's sword with the greatest look of shock and awe a ratfolk is capable of producing, barely preventing his jaw from hitting the floor. Ahahaha, your sword is massive, I want to touch it. Obviously flustered at Sahir's immense length, Reguba quickly returns to the topic of food, speedily turning to Menander. "Oh yes, hunters and their bragging. Where would snow beasts come from, though? This weather must be magical, but what mad wizard would spend the time to summon wild animals suited to it?"

Reguba then quickly sits next to Lodi in the hope he can be less easily distracted by her. Poorly reasoned decision, considering her style of dress. "And yes, Kale, a little cold can't damper my unconquerable spirit. just my circulating blood. Which desires a warm replacement, and soon." Noticing Lodi's ludicrously sized bowl, Reguba understands how she can so easily be lost in her pleasures. "All we can do is hope this weather moves on down south, glow, and drink? Happy enough sounding, but sometime you'll have to leave the tavern. Looking for visions of the future in your drink can only lead to even more confusion than if you just drank the thing."
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2015-04-12 at 01:12 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If it helps, think of me as the Agent from Serenity. Just not that good a fighter. Also, I have a mustache.
    This is not... the greatest story Tolkien ever wrote. No... This is just a tribute.
    don't feed the troll...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Kale continues her conversation with Lodi, "It's not like the Senate's doing much of anything special now. This should be investigated! ... Shouldn't it?" Hearing Sahir's story, she grimaces. "How awful. But you look like the type that can take a beating, at least. I hope you at least gave it what for in retribution? And you!" she exclaims, turning to Regaba, "Lady Di sees things in those drinks! And not just the aspirations you and I see, no. Her magic is real! She hangs around here enough, I ought-ta know."

It is at this point that Menander walks in. He's carrying a plate of food for Reguba, on which there is a loaf of bread, a wedge of cheese, a small bowl of the same stew he served to Sahir. "I'm sure Reguba here meant nothing of it, Kale, darling. He raises a good point, though. As unusual as this weather is, it doesn't explain the animals. There has to be some sort of magic involved. I'm sure if nothing else, the Sentinels can take care of it. Eh?" He winks at Reguba, before turning his attention to Sahir. "Wolves you say? They've never been of particular problem around here. Coyotes sometimes, maybe. But they're far more cowardly. Wolves should stick to the woods, and we're a good eight miles away here in Heldren. They could certainly pose a problem if the weather keeps getting worse and makes it to town, though."
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2015-04-12 at 04:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sahir. Ladies do not get drunk. We glow." She lifts up the cup and says a little blessing. The wine gets a little bit of glow to it too. But she looks into the cup and does not look pleased. "I do it just like Old Mother Theodora does over a pail of water, but I just don't get any pictures of what's to come. Cheers." Lodi sits up straight and respectful for the first long swallow.
    Sahir snorts, then sticks his tongue out at Lodi. "Well, you were glowing like the sun last night. Or, well, the sun elsewhere. You could have a few words with the sun here about glowing - looks like it's forgotten how!"

An obnoxious smirk darts across Reguba's face as Sahir acknowledges the brilliant obscurity of his chosen order, which morphs into a look of instinctual fear once he shows and explains his ear. "More like your sword goes way back into their soon-to-be corpse, am I right?" Reguba is now rather blatantly staring at Sahir's sword with the greatest look of shock and awe a ratfolk is capable of producing, barely preventing his jaw from hitting the floor.

Hearing Sahir's story, she grimaces. "How awful. But you look like the type that can take a beating, at least. I hope you at least gave it what for in retribution?"
    "Ha, if only it was that easy!" Sahir leans forward and puts an elbow on the table, now with a story to tell. "There were three of us in the ring with it - an orc as big as me, carrying an axe that probably weighed more than you; a man with the good ol' sword 'n' board; and me, with this big hunk of metal." The elf draws his sword and lays it down on the bar in front of the three of them, running a finger along the edge to test the sharpness - out of habit as much as anything else.

He continues, "Now, this jaguar came, and she tore up that orc before he even got in a single swing. All claws and fury - he didn't stand a chance. The other guy panicked when he saw what happened to the orc, and he wouldn't come close to the thing - spent the whole time cowering behind that shield they gave him. Now, I'm shouting at him to get his cowardly ass back over here to flank the cat, and I turn my head back to it and the thing is on top of me!" Sahir takes his hands and puts them on Reguba's shoulders and pushes him back just a little, then leans down over him. "We go down like this, see, and it swipes the side of my head and down my neck." He turns his head to show the scars again, then releases the ratman and picks up his sword. "Now, I couldn't let that stand, so I kick the cat offa me, then lay into it with this baby. One cut across its side, and it backs off - two and it drops. Three-" He stands up and drives the point of the blade into the floor with a satisfying thunk. "-and that was that."

Sahir raises an eyebrow, and with a twirl of the sword he passes the handle to Reguba, chuckling. "Pretty, isn't she? No, don't deny it - I saw you looking! I think it's a bit big for you, but go on, try her out, haha!" The elf sits back down, and begins to absent-mindedly play with his empty stew-bowl while he watches Reguba struggle with the massive sword.

"Wolves? More than one? Da taught us all how to set a spear for one tough beastie. But what do you even do with more than one?"

He winks at Reguba, before turning his attention to Sahir. "Wolves you say? They've never been of particular problem around here. Coyotes sometimes, maybe. But they're far more cowardly. Wolves should stick to the woods, and we're a good eight miles away here in Heldren. They could certainly pose a problem if the weather keeps getting worse and makes it to town, though."
    "Aye, not single wolves, but packs - a full half-dozen hungry mutts who know the mountain forests as well as you do, and who can smell you from a mile away. We rarely had any trouble in the summer, but come winter game would get scarce, and father would keep a fire burning outside at night to ward them off." Sahir lowers his voice, and says, "Sometimes, we'd hear warg howls. They're like wolves, but bigger and meaner, and smart; I saw one fighting in the arena, and it didn't fall for the same tricks twice. I hear tell of goblins riding them into battle - now, that must be a scary sight!"

The berserker leans back and begins to toss and catch the bowl, clearly no longer entertained by playing with it on the counter. "But, I'm sure you'll be fine - we are a ways away from the forest, after all."
    Last edited by Amidus Drexel; 2015-04-12 at 02:51 AM.
    A few odds and ends.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Urhana yawns, stretching her arms over her head as she saunters up to the bar. She overhears the conversation between the tavern patrons and owners as she approaches, taking a seat next to the unfamiliar ratman.

She observes the scene unfolding, the berserker telling his story and flourishing his sword. She let's him take his seat. "Well, those creatures certainly won't harm us with such a bold man in our midst. I would prefer they be taken care of before we get mauled, however, and not after like that unfortunate orc," Urhana comments sardonically, a teasing smile on her face.

She turns her attention to the other lady sipping wine, wincing a bit at the spectacle. "I was unaware ladies did not get drunk. Would you mind telling that to the light of day? I ask, because this light is quite insistent in saying I may have enjoyed last night's festivities a bit too much." Urhana speaks with a pained smirk, doing her best to keep composed.

She turns to the barkeep who began the conversation. "If this weather is a result of a spell then it's certainly cast by a powerful magician. Seems appropriate enough for an investigation." Urhana leans back, closing her eyes and grimacing a bit. "Then again, I would be cautious too if I had to look for the cause behind all these changes. Whatever it may be, it certainly seems strong. Fighting potentially conjured creatures is no easy feat."
    Last edited by Silverrida; 2015-04-12 at 03:12 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Distracted by the newcomer's sudden arrival, Sahir misses the bowl - and it lands on his spear instead, twirling around above his head like a misshapen halo. He crosses his eyes as he looks up, and with one swift motion deftly removes it and returns it to the table. He beams with pride at Urhana's compliments, then laughs, "You'd have nothing to fear, little lady - that is, unless you stood out in front of an angry she-cat like a fool! But you're a bit smarter than that, aren't you?"

As Urhana comments on Lodi's drinking, Sahir leans across the group again, this time resting an elbow on Sir Reguba's head. He says in a hushed tone - for Sahir, anyway, "I think she's saying you're not a lady - but don't worry, your secret's safe with me!" The elf winks, then sits back up and nearly falls over the other way, guffawing and slapping the table - clearly far too amused at his own joke.
    A few odds and ends.

15. - Top - End - #15

MonkGuy

"Smarter, yes. And stronger too, in the back." Urhana responds in kind. She sits forward, leaning against the bar nonchalantly. "I prefer to keep my distance if I have to fight. Works out better for everyone in the end."

She pauses, in faux contemplation. "Well, better for everyone except my opponent that is." The undine grins at her own joke, but is pulled from her composure by the bellowing laugh of Sahir. She is startled before putting her head in her hands, wincing from the pain of one too many drinks.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Menander's bemusement on part of Sahir's story turns a shade when he drives his blade into the floor. "Oy! Don't you be cutting up my floor now. It's no big cat, ya hear?" The flash of small anger passes as he sees Reguba struggling with the elf's sword. "Aye, I don't think we've got anything much to fear from the Woods for now. The loss of crops is a far more pressing issue. Hopefully this anomaly, whatever it is, passes soon."

As Urhana finally makes her way down the stair and to the counter, Kale lets out a greeting. "Good morning, sleepy-head! My, what an unusual group we've got here this morning. Or afternoon, now, I should say. Almost like the set up to a joke of some kind. An undine, a human, an elf, and one of the ratfolk walking into a tavern..." Kale pauses, stumped, trying to think of a punchline.

Menander chuckles at his wife's attempt at humor and grabs the now empty bowl from off the bar counter. Turning to Urhana he asks, "One of them fighting bards, eh? I suppose it's good to be your own protection on the road. You sang beautifully, by the way. Can I interest you in some food?"
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2015-04-12 at 03:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Drinking wine at noon and she gets upset with ME. Seeing Menander enter, he exclaims "CHEESE, yes! Oh, and warm food too. That'll be nice." Reguba dives into the cheese, leaving the bread and stew woefully ignored for the moment. He pays rapt attention to Sahir's story, eyes drawn to the enormous blade. Imagining the events in his mind, likely oversizing the cat by a few size categories, he is suddenly pushed by Sahir and looks up, seeing the large elf barbarian looming over him in his full glory. Eying Sahir's ear as the elf backs away, he stares at his food for a few moments in confusion before centering himself again. Quickly trying some bread with the stew, he cheers when the sword finishes the hellbeast of a cat. On being handed the sword, Reguba reveals his relative lack of strength as he struggles to lift the massive instrument, and resorts to staring at it in awe.

"Oh yes, the Sentinels can handle whatever frozen beasts there are. The real problem will be finding them in that snow." Finally returning to his stew, Reguba realizes that he should have probably gotten to it when it was freshly warm. Returning to the conversation, he decides to pass on mentioning his pet theory the wolves are all being killed by giant snowmen monsters, and glances at the newcomer. Noting that she is barely taller than he is, he rolls his eyes at her flattering of Sahir. "So, what is our delightful entertainer's name? I must have missed it last night." Quickly looking at Lodi to check that his initial assessment of her human form was not mistaken, he sits confused at Sahir's joke. Attempting to construct his own punchline after Kale flounders, he ponders "An undine, human, elf and ratfolk walk into a tavern, and find the place inhabited entirely by wolves, jaguars, and ice beasts." Having finished his food, Reguba begins to wonder if it'd be inconvenient or rude to get up and walk to the Temple of Eristil across the road to ask about this weather happening on the solstice.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2015-04-12 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Sliced out referring to Urhana by name, to ease reading
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

18. - Top - End - #18

Lodi sinks down in her chair while Reguba tells her how life is serious. But then he gets to the part where she is going to have to leave the tavern. And she gives him a very pretty very empty smiles. "Oh no, I do not see that at all!"

That could have gone on longer too but Sahir is talking now. Lodi turns to him. Now that most of the wine is gone she is paying attention better and turns her head to follow. Sahir. New girl. Reguba. Sahir some more. But she talks to the new girl. "We all have our callings hon. Mine's here. And it says that ladies glow. I just did not get to talk to you proper while you were singing, I'm named Lodi, so happy to meet you! even though you did get all the drinks bought for you last night, instead."

She tips her head to hear a joke start and starts to take part. Reguba tries first. He leaves a useable next line though. "Wolves and jaguars and ice beasts? Well it will be a cold day in Hades before they show up in midsummer! And a proper druid could have made that wind come in at just the right time to turn that funny. Excuse me." Lodi sort of sighs and drinks up almost the last of the wine. She takes her cup to the shrine of the Lucky Drunk sitting under one of the warm fireplace seats and pours out the very last to it. Goes into a side room. Comes out again wearing the blanket from the bed. "Just as well. Druids, they would be across the way at Erastil. Probably trying to do something. Kale hon, ask the stable boy to get the mules blankets too? Put three blankets on my tab. I am not going anywhere outside without this on."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Before Kale can respond to Lodi's request, the door of the inn bangs open. A nondescript boy shouts from the entryway, "Quick, come quick! A rider--one of them Ulfen guards--'s just come into town!" Before he can be questioned, the boy is off, going to the other buildings along the square, spreading the news. Through the now empty door frame, you can see a crowd gathering in the town square, centered around the statue of the Lady. Next to the statue, you can just make out a man a top a horse. Slumped over his riding beast's neck, the man looks badly wounded.

Kale cranes to see out the door. "I'll put the blankets on your tab, then, Di. I suppose you all had better go see what's going on. What with this and the weather, we've suddenly become quite the bustling town. It's all a might queer." Menander huffs behind the counter. "Aye, that it is. Best let these young strapping lads and ladies take a look. I've got to clean the floor. Don't matter if everyone's still hungover outside, nothing better for business than a story."
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2015-04-13 at 12:42 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Sahir stands up and stretches, then retrieves his sword from Sir Reguba. "Enough playing around, it looks like I'm getting some action today after all!" Taking off at a slow jog, Sahir bursts out of the tavern and into the town square to get a better look at the wounded guard. He bellows at the crowd, "Oy, move it, you louts! Coming through!"

Spoiler: Intimidate
    Show

(1d20+4)[13]
    A few odds and ends.

21. - Top - End - #21

Something not usual happens. Lodi is quick to the doorway. She was standing up already. An Ulfen guard?!

She stops just outside the door though and Sahir keeps on going and shouting. Lodi looks around for other hurt people too. Only the guard. She follows the line that Sahir is making just by being there to get through half of it. What hurt him? Is he just hurt or also worn out? She tries to take hold of the guard's booted leg

Spoiler: Heal check is looking for conditions on top of the hp damage
    Show
    (1d20+5)[20]

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sahir easily makes his way through the crowd, as they split to make a path for the intimidating outsider--though having the familiar face of Lodi not far behind helps him too. As you reach the center of the crowd, the rider comes into full view. Barely clinging to his horse, the man looks absolutely terrible. His right eye is bruised and incredibly swollen, his nose badly frostbitten, and several cuts run across his body: the worst is a long gash on his forehead. Though now dried, the blood from the wound has dyed part of his long, blonde hair a brownish-red. As you approach, he lifts his head a little and coughs, blood splattering into his braided beard. Barely audible, he says, "They took her. Into the woods. I... I'm the only one that got out alive. Please. She needs help."

As he finishes speaking, Lodi steps closer to try and see what she can for the poor man. Before she can administer aid, she feels a hand on her shoulder. Turning behind her she sees a middle aged woman; her hair is a greying brown and her dress is plain, but shows signs of some obvious wealth. Speaking in much calmer tone than the crowd surrounding you, she says, "Tessaraea, this man needs help. Let's get him to your apothecary, shall we?" An elven woman steps from the crown, "Yes, of course Councilwoman Teppen. Right away." Tessaraea makes her way to the horse, taking it by the reigns and leading it out of the square, past the Silver Stoat. Turning to address the crowd, the Councilwoman states, "Everyone! Please return your daily business! I know this is all quite upsetting, but we shall keep you updated as we learn more!"

With the statement made, the crowd begins. A large portion of which filters into the Silver Stoat--Menander was right about business. Turning to Lodi and Sahir, the Councilwoman asks, "Did the rider say anything coherent? I could see his lips moving in the crowd, but couldn't hear him over everyone.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2015-04-13 at 02:13 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Sahir nods at the aging woman, and says, "Someone got dragged off into the woods. The man was begging us to help her - said he was the only one that got out alive." He looks over to the forest. Eight miles... that's a long way on foot. She's in serious trouble if no one comes to help her now.

The barbarian looks down at Reguba, "You know the forest, right? Here, come with me - someone needs saving!"
    A few odds and ends.

24. - Top - End - #24

"But what way did you come from" Lodi says after the horse being led. Too late. All she saw was which way the horse was pointing before that.

Sahir poking Reguba is loud enough to be heard through the open door. Lodi looks at the Councilwoman and then down at her feet. "Yes he is always ready to jump into things like that. Tessaraea is better healer in town but I am ready to go after him. The visitor elf I mean. We do not want another stranger coming into the town like this do we. Someone from town has to go along too."

She wraps up better and follows the flow and the "so what are you doing out of bed this early Lady Di, ha ha!" back to the tavern. Wait. First she goes around to the stable side and gets hold of the stable boy herself and gives him the blanket. "Get my mules ready please and any other horses last night's visitors brought. And a little extra feed and food and pack this. I think the visitors and I are going hunting. And there is another horse outside of the apothecary that was rode hard. Get it taken care of please." Now Lodi goes back to the tavern. Way in the back of the drinks line. See what a good idea it is to drink early?

She goes to her room again and comes out again with armor and cup shaped mace hanging on the belt. The armor is padded too and warmer than her midsummer outfit. "Sahir? I am surprised you are still here. That you did not run off with someone under each arm." But she is smiling when she says it.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Grinning at Lodi's salvaging of his punchline, the pinkskin child's announcement shocks Reguba, and he follows Sahir outside eagerly, with both curiosity and nervous anxiety about the badly wounded Ulfener. Finding the councilwoman as tedious and dull as always, he decides that heading into the forest now is a fine plan. Upon Sahir stating a similar intention, Reguba positively beams and is eager to seem helpful. "I'm not overly familiar, haven't been out here that long, and it's a sizable wood. But I know it well enough." Looking back at Lodi, Reguba wonders if he even fits under Sahir's arm.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2015-04-14 at 06:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

26. - Top - End - #26

MonkGuy

Urhana follows the others out of the tavern but allows herself to sit in the crowd. Only after she hears the councilwoman's announcement does she move toward the ragtag group she joined at midday.

As she approaches the group, she overhears the declaration made by the elf, and the others agreeing. She chuckles lightly, addressing him. "Going straight to the rescue with no plan or information? Seems I was right to call you bold."

She looks to the others. "Your willingness to help is commendable. Astonishing really. All of you seem like you could easily handle it. But if you would allow me to, perhaps I can help? The least I can do is try and gather some knowledge to share before you leave."

She smiles, turning around and walking back to the tavern to see what information she can glean from the towns people. Lodi is walking with her, re-entering the tavern ahead of her. She looks over her shoulder while walking away from the group. "The name is Urhana, by the way. I'll be back shortly." She turns her eyes forward and walks into the now bustling bar.

Upon entry, she sees that the tavern has filled to capacity. Lodi has taken her spot in the back of the drinks line. With all the commotion that happened, surely someone is gossiping about something valuable. She walks toward the nearest empty seat, ears open for anything that may be of use.

Spoiler: Diplomacy to pick up on surrounding conversation
    Show
    (1d20+7)[16]
    Last edited by Silverrida; 2015-04-16 at 01:04 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The Councilwoman sighs. "What are the Sentinels doing in that damn woods? Used to be they'd stop this sort of thing." Turning to Reguba, she apologizes, seaming sincere, "No offense meant, but our rider friend undoubtedly came to us after skirting the Woods, given the road he took into town..." She turns to look towards the Woods. "I wont stop you from leaving. You all seem well determined in your trajectory. I do urge you to consider getting some warmer clothes. Frostbite seems a real issue and I know the General Store has some winter outfits from the blizzard a few years back."

Spoiler: Lodi
    Show
    Upon your return from the tavern, you can't help but catch some snippets of news. Dryden Kepp, one of the more accomplished hunters in the area, claimed to have seen a giant weasel in the woods before the weather go truly unusual. A non-endemic beast, no one believed his story at the time. He's been gone for a more than a few days now, hunting the alleged beast.

Spoiler: Reguba
    Show
    Before dispersing to head back to the tavern, someone in the crowd says something that jogs your memory. Two weeks ago, a noble from the capital by the name of Lady Argenta passed by the Border Woods on her way to Zimar to meet her betrothed. Rumor has it the two didn't get along well, and Lady Argentea caused a scandal by calling off the engagement and heading back home.

Spoiler: Urhana
    Show
    Perhaps it is that you're still a bit hungover from the night before, perhaps it's that the people around you find you to be a more interesting topic of conversation, but you don't learn much of anything upon your return to the tavern. You do learn, though, that a farmer by the name Old Man Dansby is particularly mad about the weather. Dansby lives a bit outside of town, and in addition to the weather ruining his crops, he claims that his remaining crops were all carried off.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2015-04-16 at 10:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Sahir gives Urhana a curt nod. "Don't tarry too long - every minute we spend here is an extra minute our target spends in danger. I'll wait here."

When Lodi returns, Sahir grins and spreads his arms in concession, "Well, I found myself with someone under one arm-" He pats Reguba on the head. "-but my other arm was asked to wait by uh... Urhana? Urhana. The lady with the pretty voice who was singing for us last night."

At Councilwoman Teppen insists he wear warmer clothes, Sahir snorts, "Bah, the cold has never bothered me!"
    Not that I have the coin to buy a coat anyway.
    A few odds and ends.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Of course, it's OUR fault that we aren't watching out for the Ulfen Guard when they come by, what are we thinking, we should protect the best bodyguards in Taldor. Responding to the Councilwoman, Reguba audibly sniffs. "Little offense taken, we should have not allowed ourselves to slacken just because it's the solstice. Constant vigilance!

Having overheard some gossip (with his excellent rodent hearing) as people flowed into the tavern after the Councilwoman dismissed them, Reguba recalls hearing of something almost relevant. Turning to Sahir, since they had to wait for Lodi and Urhana anyways, mentioning it wouldn't hurt. There was some well off capital woman who passed by here on her way to Zimar recently to marry someone, but had a temper tantrum once she met him and was going to run back to the capital. Few are stupid enough to attack Ulfen mercenaries, but there are only so many rich females around the Wood who would have Ulfen as guards.

Reguba has a barely concealed smirk when Sahir can barely remember that Urhana woman's name.
    Last edited by Mutant Sheep; 2015-04-17 at 12:27 AM. Reason: MORE LEGIBLE
    Spoiler
    Show
    don't feed the troll...

30. - Top - End - #30

"Yes, one for the road, I will be gone for awhile. Like who, did you say? Dryden?" Lodi talks with the crowd while they wait for the kettle spice wine to get warmed and served. "Oh hello Urhana. Did you know we are not going to be the very first ones going out there for a few days. At least we have a good reason for it! I tell you, have you ever heard of such a thing as a giant weasel. But he said Dryden was sure it was one and he was going to track it and bring back proof. Make everyone stop laughing." She laughs a happy laugh too and tries to scoop an arm around Urhana. Not too hard though. Just for holding someone for the toasting. Easy to step away from since Urhana is only hung over and Lodi is glowing and slowed down by armor. "So. That Sahir. I like him. He can hold his alcohol mostly. He can hold whatever he wants don't you think! Cheers." And she drinks off the warm wine with one hand only. One hand for the wine, one hand near Urhana, no hands for balance. The armor weight makes her stumble step almost out the door.