New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Universe

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Steven Universe

Anyone watch this? One of my favorite American cartoon shows to come out recently. It's by Rebecca Sugar, one of the Adventure Time people. (She worked on "Simon and Marcy".)

It has the backdrop of a magical girl show, with a goofy out-of-place main character. It has simply gorgeous backgrounds, the character designs are excellent, and overall it has a lot of heart. It reminds me of Bee and Puppycat, and I think demonstrates why we need more female cartoon creators who just have something a little different to show us.

Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"
    I contributed Chapter 13: "Virtual Reality Enterprise Training Use Cases"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Steven Universe

I've seen 2 (?) episodes? It's cute, not super annoying like so many new cartoons. Something I'd probably watch again. My kids like it..
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Keep in mind that Rebecca Sugar was also a writer on Adventure Time and gave us two of my personal favorite episodes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I had no idea! I LOVE Adventure Time! Sometimes I think I like it more than my kids. But I can see Steven Universe being right up there as well...
    Long live the Ceikatar!

Here Be Dragons

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    Oh, I had no idea! I LOVE Adventure Time! Sometimes I think I like it more than my kids. But I can see Steven Universe being right up there as well...
    Yeah, she worked on It Came from the Nightosphere and Simon & Marcy. I love both of these shows since they remind me so much of the programming that used to be common place when I was growing up in the 90s.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Spamalot in the Playground

I saw the pilot episode. It's alright, had a number of amusing moments that made me chuckle.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

7. - Top - End - #7

My favorite episodes so far were "Cheeseburger Backpack" and "Together Breakfast". I adore the sets in this series. I'd love to live in this world. Although I guess monsters attacking Beach City all the time would suck... but at least it would be pretty.

Frybo and Cat Fingers freaked me out... but they were still very good, and not as freaky as some of the stuff in Adventure Time.
    Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Here's what I've grasped from the setting:

There used to be more gems.
    They are, at the very least, not from earth.
    Gems have some connection to all of the abnormal stuff going on.
    There are gem ruins all around the planet, or at least the eastern seaboard.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #9

It's... eh.

I feel like it tries hard and has the makings of something really great, but it tries too hard and blows it for me a lot of the time in a lot of ways. Steven himself is a bit too manic and clumsy even by cartoon standards for me to really like him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

10. - Top - End - #10

It's alright. It seems akin to Adventure Time insofar as the main character doing things that don't to make the audience laugh. It makes me cringe when this happens, but it's funny.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Elf Bard View Post
    It's alright. It seems akin to Adventure Time insofar as the main character doing things that don't to make the audience laugh. It makes me cringe when this happens, but it's funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanuki Tales View Post
    Keep in mind that Rebecca Sugar was also a writer on Adventure Time and gave us two of my personal favorite episodes.
    *cough*

10char

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

One word: Tepid.

Its the most tepid thing I ever saw. The jokes are so...tepid and..."Are they even jokes what is it?" sort of way.

The action once again tepid and slow. Songs tepid and slow.

A tepid and slow show that feels like Im eating butter. Looks pretty, though.

Not enough contrast, and the result the tepidness feels tired. I mean this feels like the 3rd show with an adventure time feel to it (Adventure Time, Regular Show, now this). The humor of "See how tepid they are in a serious situation?" has gotten insanely stale.

Overall tepid and slow in the worst ways 4/10 (Not because bad, but because of an absence of good).
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    One word: Tepid.

Its the most tepid thing I ever saw. The jokes are so...tepid and..."Are they even jokes what is it?" sort of way.

The action once again tepid and slow. Songs tepid and slow.

A tepid and slow show that feels like Im eating butter. Looks pretty, though.

Not enough contrast, and the result the tepidness feels tired. I mean this feels like the 3rd show with an adventure time feel to it (Adventure Time, Regular Show, now this). The humor of "See how tepid they are in a serious situation?" has gotten insanely stale.

Overall tepid and slow in the worst ways 4/10 (Not because bad, but because of an absence of good).
    ...You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

a : lacking in passion, force, or zest <tepid poetry>
    b : marked by an absence of enthusiasm or conviction <a tepid interest>
    From MWD. Seems like the point SD was trying to get across. Not actually bad but entirely lacking in anything to make it interesting.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Other definitions:

Lukewarm

Showing Little Enthusiasm

Nor hot nor cold

Not energetic or exited

So yes. Id say the word was right on the mark. One of the most tepid things I ever saw.

And yes indeed. It wasn't bad. Just......tepid. There is a giant eye about too crash into town and there isn't even a beat change. There isn't ever a beat change. Maybe its also to do with the voice acting....Thats also tepid.
    A little condescending

16. - Top - End - #16

I guess I must have a different sense of humor than you guys.

I really like the way this show is done. It has a good mix of humor and character moments. I thought today's episode was awesome, it was a sendup of pro-wrestling, I was laughing out loud.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Aster Azul View Post
    I guess I must have a different sense of humor than you guys.

I really like the way this show is done. It has a good mix of humor and character moments. I thought today's episode was awesome, it was a sendup of pro-wrestling, I was laughing out loud.
    I've been also really liking the show. Bubble Buddies was awesome, and pretty much anything with his father turns out great. As for the most recent episode in particular, I thought it was pretty consistently funny. This certainly isn't the best western animated tv show being done right now, but I haven't been all that disappointed with Rebecca Sugar's entry into the show having game. There hasn't been anything on the scale of Simon and Marcy or What Was Missing though, and I'd appreciate it if the song having quality of the first couple of episodes were also a quality of at least a couple of later episodes.

18. - Top - End - #18

Ooh, I'm looking forward to watching the latest episode. I'll save it for a morning where I need a pick-me-up

19. - Top - End - #19

The statue they live in is still one of my absolute favorite things.

My artist is using it for inspiration for a cliffside goddess statue in Queen At Arms.
    Last edited by Rosstin; 2014-01-28 at 12:15 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I've watched an episode here and there. It's pretty cute. I like the aesthetic of the show.

It's... eh.
    Well, you know what they say: if every porkchop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2014-01-28 at 12:33 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post

Well, you know what they say: if every porkchop was perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs.
    Well right now, I'm prepared to eat my words and my hot dogs.

This episode was wonderful. It's got some of the best linework I've ever seen on TV animation drawing, some damn fine fluid animation, an amazing musical score, and is quite possibly the most fun I've had with a tv episode that I can actually remember outside of the current season of Arrow.

Let it be known that if nothing else, I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. If future episodes manage to keep this quality this might become my favorite show on television.

22. - Top - End - #22

This episode was wonderful. It's got some of the best linework I've ever seen on TV animation drawing, some damn fine fluid animation, an amazing musical score, and is quite possibly the most fun I've had with a tv episode that I can actually remember outside of the current season of Arrow.
    Hurrah! One of us! One of us!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Well right now, I'm prepared to eat my words and my hot dogs.

Let it be known that if nothing else, I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. If future episodes manage to keep this quality this might become my favorite show on television.
    Which episode we talking about now?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

What new episode changes everything around?
    A little condescending

25. - Top - End - #25

Great show. It can't really be judged by one or two episodes. Relationships and a surprisingly deep background only reveal themselves over time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rose Quartz. Obviously a powerful and dedicated Gem who left the team weakened by her departure. They seem to display that in the apparent lack of clear leadership. Certainly in the temporary loss of Rose's cannon -- which gives us a quick glimpse of what she may have looked like when alive.

Mr. Universe. Yes, great character. I love his reactions and the influence he's had on Steven. Obviously there were some deep feelings between him and Rose for her to leave the Gems, give up her physical body and immortality, ultimately to bring Steven into the world.

He once mentioned that the Gems told him to stay away from anything dealing with magic. So there has been some interaction between them which has not been shown. Possibly, they resent him for taking Rose away. Or perhaps they just know he'd make a mess out of anything important.

The remaining Gems. Good development on the characters, leaving enough flaws that they don't quite operate as a well-oiled machine. Very likely, Rose held them together. That could explain why they all dote on Steven so much. Not just because they respect Rose's sacrifice, but because of what she meant to the team in a larger sense.

They may, on some level, be looking for Steven to replace that loss even if they doubt he'll ever reach that level of competence.

Side Characters. A few, each with their own personalities and storylines. Such as the potential love interest between Lars and Sadie which Steven has so far only seen. Or Onion's ability to so quickly secure a harpoon gun and fire it at Steven's bubble. Connie's outward appearance of someone smart and competent who has it all together, but instead is an extremely unhappy introvert.

Steven Himself? Yeah. Initially very annoying. A spoiled kid who thinks the world is just something to play with and can't take anything seriously (including Serious Steven). Actually, he wants desperately to take on his mother's responsibilities. But he's just a kid, and only so much can be expected.

I just wonder how long they'll go before he realizes that his gem is activated by calming, happy thoughts, rather than ice cream sandwiches and magic words.

Really. So much background depth to the show that I had to do research to make sure a McCracken/Tartakovsky influence wasn't being concealed.
    Last edited by Fragenstein; 2014-01-30 at 11:26 AM.
    How did you have that image on standby......

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm really waiting for a background/back in time episode to illuminate a few things. We know that there used to be a lot more gems on earth, and they're responsible for at least some of the supernatural wildlife.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Which episode we talking about now?
    What new episode changes everything around?
    Steven's Lion.

This is mostly just my opinion but the animation is much more expressive, Steven himself is way more tolerable than he was in the previous episode, the music kicks in at just the right moment, and it looks like they're building over what WAS good to begin with.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Il have to say.....YEAH. Quite a bunch more. The ending was especially impressive.

Id still say its a bit not enough and to short for my taste, but its no longer leaving me with nothing.

Id say 6/10.

A bit more and it will become seriously enjoyable in my book.
    A little condescending

29. - Top - End - #29

Tiger Millionaire's my favorite so far.
    Hehe, "bribing" the other wrestlers...
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Tiger Millionaire's my favorite so far.
    Hehe, "bribing" the other wrestlers...
    Plus the ending helps support my thoughts that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rose was the team leader. Chaos and infighting, with Garnet trying to beat Amethyst into submission while Pearl stood by helpless. It wasn't until Steven added his voice that the Gems came together.
    How did you have that image on standby......