New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [IC] Crestfallin' - The Land of Magical Adventure!

Spoiler: The future temple ex market people (this is getting complicated)
    Show
    Rowan gulped. Tenhelrim's course of action was sensible, and he really wanted to do the same thing. But he felt things were not so simple. He shot the man an apologetic smile, before stepping toward the strangers.

"I am afraid this is not acceptable."

He really hoped his voice sounded firm, here. But leaving those men to their own devices would certainly end up with someone getting hurt, sooner or later.

"I know times are tough, but threatening innocents isn't the way to go about it. Please, sheath your weapons, tell your two hidden friends to show themselves, and we'll talk. It doesn't have to end badly."

Well, it probably will anyway, if those guys were desperate enough to attack three obviously armed strangers. But as long as there was a slim hope to diffusing the situation, he had to try. As he had to resist the impulse to draw his own weapon for reassurance ; such an action would definitely ruin his diplomatic attempt.

Spoiler: Diplomacy Check (hey, you never know!)
    Show
    (1d20+7)[18]
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

2. - Top - End - #62

GreataxeFighterGuy

The two men stepped closer to the two who engaged them. They were most definitely of the Human race, standing an average 5' 9" and around the 200lb mark. Both men were dressed in a dark cloak to which, in simultaneous fashion, they both shrugged off to reveal the worn-out Leather Armour that rested beneath their clothes. Slowly, almost methodically they tapped their rusty blades into their gauntlets - it was clear they had no intentions to run away.

"Bandits by choice, warriors by trade..."
    "...Just hand over your money, and don't call for aid."

Tenhelrim starts to move away, interrupted by a [rogue] crossbow bolt, giving the Bandit behind the barrel time to push it over to block the way to the Temple. He grins, pointing his sword at Tenhelrim. The alleyway Bandit whips out his sword, pointing at the "big knight with manners".

"You should've done what's right;"
    "For we have the sight;"
    "And we have the might;"
    "Now this ends in a fight!"

My GFX stuff isn't so great, hope this map is a workable state.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

OOC:Meanwhile, at the hall of jus.. I mean the coliseum.

"So, a literal student of a dragon," he says looking at the golden lizard woman before turning his head and looking at the crimson haired female "and if I understand you correctly a sorceress, am I right." Reaven states surmising their descriptions of their abilities.

"Well, my then turn?" he asks in a rhetorical manner before continuing, "As I said before, I am a Swordsage, mainly of the Shadow Hand discipline but I do dabble in the way of the diamond mind and the setting sun along with one or two others. my main skills revolve around stealth and reconnaissance though I can handle myself in combat as any other swordsman...and I'm one of the few who actually have a right to call themselves a swordsman." he says in a cool tone, careful to not give to much information away, except for the last part spoke in an annoyed manner under his breath.

"Anyways, onward's to the temple!" the swordsage state as he straightens up, smoothing out his cloak and begins to take a step ... only to stop when he realises he doesn't actually know the way to the temple, turning back to the two women "You two wouldn't happen to know the way to the temple would you?" He asks feeling a might sheepish.

"You know what, I'll just follow you two." he resolves.

OOC2: So no more spoiler box?
    There is a thin line between genius and madness, and I'm currently using it as a jumprope.

4. - Top - End - #64

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    There's a pack mule on B5, next to our resident curved spear holder.

Rowan 14
    Tenhelrim (1d20+2)[14]
    Cassie (1d20)[12]
    Rocket Bandits >_> (1d20+1)[11]

5. - Top - End - #65

PaladinGuy

Well, so much for plan A. It was a shame, in Rowan's opinion, he liked plan A. Plan A involved no-one getting hurt. Drawing his sword, he tried not to remember it was the first time he was using it, for real, that is. A quick glance behind him showed one opponent, dangerously close to Tenhelrim. Quickly taking a step back, he swinged his sword toward him, trying to give breathing space to his ally...

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Draw weapon and move in B3
    Attack roll : (1d20+6)[16]
    If relevant, Confirm critical : (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage roll : (2d6+4)[12]
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

6. - Top - End - #66

NecromancerGuy

Tenhelrim gasps in shock as the bolt whizzes past him. He glances around for something to hide behind, eventually settling on the mule as a good shield. He grimaces at his assailant, "Zemog olepa!"

Looking to his companions for aid, he calls out, "Looks like they didn't want to negotiate anyway. I hope you two know how to use those shiny metal sticks."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    5' step to A5.

Then cast Cause Fear at Bandit in A3 E5. Will save DC 16 or be frightened for (1d4)[3] rounds. If saves, shaken for 1 round.

Does the barrel provide cover or anything of that sort? Mule's are large, though they wouldn't necessarily take up 10x10 out of combat - feel free to plop him wherever.

And... Rowan posted while I was. shoot.

I would prefer to target a different one if he's engaging the one in A3 - I would target the one in E5 if that's the case.
    Last edited by broodax; 2014-02-17 at 02:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

GreataxeFighterGuy

The huge two-handed blade comes crashing down on the Bandit's head, dropping him where he last stood. Blood slowly begins to trickle from the Bandit's skull...or the location where his skull would have been, had it still been attached.

The mage readjusts to behind the Mule, sending magical energy from his hands towards another of the rhyming team. (1d20)[14] vs 16.

Spoiler: DM Rolls Don't Mind Me Nothing To See Here
    Show
    Fire bolt towards Tenhelrim (1d20+4)[18] if hit (1d3)[2] damage.

Cassie is up (whenever the character's handler is back from work).

Tenhelrim takes two damage from a Crossbow bolt lodged into his arm (The mule can't provide cover from that particular location of the bolt).
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2014-02-17 at 04:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

GreataxeFighterGuy

I told Cassie's handler last night on Skype about being up and didn't get a response (the handler was online many hours). So since I don't want this to get derailed here on the "intro fight" I'ma move things along.

The heavily armoured Dwarf watches one Bandit begin to run away, she moves to the other one but he is wise enough to get in a quick stab before Cassie's Flail comes crashing down onto his head!

Spoiler: technical info
    Show
    Cassie moves ten feet to F3, provoking AoO from the Bandit there. He takes a stab with his short sword (1d20+1)[20] if hit then (1d6+1)[2] damage. no she doesn't, I'm dumb sometimes

Cassie attacks with her Flail (1d20+6)[15] if hit (1d10+7)[16] damage.

That brings us to our bandits, whom I will depict in the next post, as well as a new updated map.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2014-02-18 at 07:10 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69

GreataxeFighterGuy

Woah. Threat confirm for the bandit. (1d20+1)[13]. If successful, then (2d6+2)[7] crit damage.

Crit unsuccessful. Cassie takes two damage
    , returning the favour to the Bandit, her Flail clobbering him, sending him to the same place as the one Rowan struck down.

I will act for the Bandits, but I got some errands to run, so I'll do it when I get back.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2014-02-18 at 07:11 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

GreataxeFighterGuy

The first Bandit, still terrified and under the effects of Tenhelrim's spell, makes a bee-line run on his way out of the zone He's not quite out, but only a few more feet to go. The alleyway Bandit, seeing one of his comrades heads lobbed off, and having watched another of his comrades' skull get smashed in, decides this isn't worth his time. He steps out of the alleyway and makes a mad dash toward the other end, with his magically suggested friend.

Show
    Rowan and Tenhelrim are both up. What are your plans?

Broodax, I don't think the Bandit is provoking an AoO from his fleeing as your Mule is in front of you and blocking your Guisarme. (I believe friendlies can block your shot, but if I'm mistaken, take your AoO if you want it.) This is of course, assuming you're holding your Guisarme.

11. - Top - End - #71

PaladinGuy

Rowan almost didn't pay attention to the scattering bandits, eyes still fixed on the one he brought down.

"... ah?"

That... He was supposed to dodge! Get a light cut in the worst case! Such an attack would never have hit any of his instructors, so why... That idiot! Was it worth it?

"I did that..."

His breathing was getting irregular, but it was not due to exhaustion.

Wake up! Just... heal and wake up! Take my coins, you probably need them more than me anyway! To die... no, to be killed, for such a stupid thing...

But his silent prayers could not be answered, dooming to keep looking at the his grim handywork. He felt something twist into his stomach.

"I... I don't feel too well right now."

That was the only thing he could manage before throwing up.

Spoiler: Breakdown
    Show
    Turn end, I suppose.
    Last edited by Macros; 2014-02-18 at 07:14 PM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

12. - Top - End - #72

NecromancerGuy

The necromancer laughs at the turn of fortune, "Yes, run you silly robbers, run!"

His voice belied his actions though, and he persued the bandit with abandon, welding his guisarme.

Show
    If he can convince the mule to move out of the way, Tenhelrim charges the bandit at H5, if he cannot convince the mule to move so easily, he will double move to H3, threatening the fleeing bandit with the guisarme, hopefully getting an AOO when he runs the next round. (The rules for what untrained animals do in combat leave it totally up to the DM, so this is just up to you)

If he charges, attack with charnel touch, touch attack vs. Touch AC, doesn't provoke.
    Attack - (1d20+2)[6] -- Negative Energy Damage - (1d8+1)[7]
    crit confirm if needed - (1d20+2)[12] -- Negative Energy Damage - (1d8+1)[2]

Oh, and you're right, any time someone has cover from you, you can't make an AOO, and any creature, even an ally, does provide cover.
    Last edited by broodax; 2014-02-18 at 07:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73

GreataxeFighterGuy

Tenhelrim shoves past the pack mule, large curved spear in his hands, gleefully chasing down the robber. The Knight stands over the fallen body of the man he killed, in mourning. A stray Bolt comes, from the same elevated location as before, directly towards the spear-wielder. More of a warning shot but it seemed more violent of a shot.

Spoiler: DMRolls
    Show

(1d20+4)[9] if hit then (1d3)[2] damage.

The Bolt blazes by Tenhelrim, enough to make him take notice at least.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2014-02-18 at 07:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74

GreataxeFighterGuy

The frightened Bandit continues running away (leaving the Industrial District), the other non-magically-influenced one turns to run as well. Tenhelrim has an opportunity to take a slice of the fleeing bandit's hide as he turns to run, if he so chooses, with his curved spear.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2014-02-18 at 07:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

NecromancerGuy

As the frightened bandit runs, the skinny fellow tries to cut him down in his path.

"Come on, friends, let's .... Uh... Clean up these streets!"

Show
    attack - (1d20)[8] -- damage - (2d4)[6]
    attack Confirmation - (1d20)[5] -- damage - (4d4)[12] extra

16. - Top - End - #76

PaladinGuy

Rowan had no will to pursue the fleeing bandits, but the crossbow bolt snapped him from his daze. Two people had already died today, he couldn't let another be killed by his negligence.

Spoiler: Perception check
    Show
    (1d20+3)[11]

He adressed the mysterious shooter.

"You... you should leave. Save yourself, at least."
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

17. - Top - End - #77

GreataxeFighterGuy

The curved spear swings wide, allowing the Bandit the opportunity to escape from the blood-thirsty man of death into the Market District with his magically altered friend.

Spoiler: DmRolls
    Show
    caster check to cast Invisibility (1d20+1)[2]

18. - Top - End - #78

GreataxeFighterGuy

You can hear some mumbled words in a frustrated tone under a man's breath in Gnomish echo through the near-empty Industrial district. It sounds like it could be coming from the elevated crossbow location.

Spoiler: if You Have Gnome As A Language
    Show
    It sounds like he is cursing at something.

Cassie, Tenhelrim, & Rowan all gain 150 exp pts.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2014-02-18 at 08:35 PM.

19. - Top - End - #79

NecromancerGuy

As the bandits run away into more populated streets, the spearman gives up his chase. Turning back to his companions, he rips the bolt from his arm, and his wounds miraculously begin to close. Unconcerned, he tosses it aside.

"You aren't to bad to have around after all. Let's see what they've decided to donate to the cause, as it were," he says, slapping Rowan on the back. He then searches the fallen robbers to see what they've left behind.

Don't Loose your stomach on him before we've emptied his pockets, son.

Show
    the ripping of the bolt is fluff, actually just using charnel touch to heal myself for (1d8+1)[4] damage. My perception is horrible, just take 20 on searching unless someone steps in to help.

20. - Top - End - #80

GreataxeFighterGuy

Two fallen Bandits lay in the streets. In the remains of blood, guts, and emptied bowels, you find two suits of Leather Armour, and a pair of Short Swords. The armour is old, this much you can tell from it's ragged appearance, and the blades rusted, likely from age, though you note both blade and suits are still functional. Amid the bodies you manage to find a combined twenty silver coins, and seven copper pieces.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2014-02-18 at 10:19 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

NecromancerGuy

"See, look, don't you feel better now? Swords! Well... rusty swords... but still." Tenhelrim begins loading the recent procurements in the mule's saddlebags.

"Now, I always say, waste not, want not. Or I say take stuff you find. Well, usually I'm the only one there and I don't talk to myself, but now...

"Anyway, I think it best if we take an even split. 50/50/50. Er... someone else do the scholarly work, but we should make it even, if we're going to continue working together?"
    he looks up at the two companions expectantly.

22. - Top - End - #82

GreataxeFighterGuy

Judging from the condition of the swords and the armour, you predict these items to fetch you about two gold coins and five silver coins each.

Show
    Just figured I'd put an estimated value tag on there for y'all. Whether you split them up evenly, put them into a "party fund" or what-have-you is entirely up to y'all as a group. I can only hand out the loot - it's up to the players to determine the proper distribution. =)

23. - Top - End - #83
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Cassie looks overly excited about the scuffle, "YOu guys are great to have around! How many more skulls are we gonna get to knock?"

Valérie Jeanne - Plays in "Noble Trouble" Corre+ Game
    Cassie Morella - Plays in "Crestfallin" Corre+ Game

24. - Top - End - #84

PaladinGuy

Rowan, who by now felt a bit better - though not good, by any mean - threw the enthusiastic dwarf a bemused look, before answering with a distinct lack of enthusiasm.

"... thanks... I suppose."

Shaking his head, he tried to focus on something else than his last vision. And, in the back of his head, something did bother him...

"You know, I thought you'd be angrier. There was a gnome, there. And somehow, I don't believe this was a coincidence."

So, this was no simple robbery, but a planned ambush, for them, specifically? Weirdly enough, it made him feel a bit better. When presented with his share of the "loot", he hesitated, before nodding once. What Tenhelrim said did make sense, sort of.

"Perhaps we could bring the corpses to the Temple with us. Leaving them in the streets won't do ; at least, they can get proper burial rites there, and if someone can identify those guys before that, it could provide usto our next lead toward the gnome."

But who was he, to send assassins after them? Was that ring worth that much? Or was he wrong, after all, and the gnome who was there a moment ago had nothing to do with the thief? He hoped the Temple could answer some of those questions.
    Last edited by Macros; 2014-02-19 at 02:58 AM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

25. - Top - End - #85

GreataxeFighterGuy

With a pack mule loaded up, the saddlebags bloated with rusted blades and worn armour, and a pair of dead bodies draped over the beast's back, you continue on toward the shining halls of Heironeous himself, leaving the sight of the Industrial District in the past. From the North side you arrive in the Temple District (while the other group arrives from the South side), taking note the different atmosphere of this District as compared to the others. It is very serene, pious religious followers praying to the God of Valour. In the centre lies a very tall, magnificently crafted building with Heironeous' face carved into the building itself. Obviously, you surmise this to be the place.

Tenhelrim, Rowan, and Cassie approach the front doors to this majestic building. The doors open from the inside, High Priest Danielson stepping out to greet you. 'Rowan, you've returned. I trust you've managed to complete the task I set forth before you?" The High Priest scans Rowan's companions up and down. "And who are these two? Servants of Heironeous I would presume?"

Coming shortly behind, Syviraux, Skye, and Reaven the sight of three individuals and their mule can't be a coincidence - not with two bodies draped across the beast's back, no, these couldn't be just ordinary Crestfallinians.

26. - Top - End - #86

PaladinGuy

Rowan's nervousness only grew with each word uttered by the High Priest.

"Eh... not... quite."

He spared another glance to his companions, but no matter how you looked at it, he had a hard time imagining them among Heironeous faithfull.

"There had been... complications. I did find the person to which the ring belongs, though, so that should help. Also, the deceased we carry with us were possibly in league with the thief. They attacked us, possibly on his orders or suggestions, while he was nearby under concealment."

That was a rather blod statement ; he couldn't be certain that the gnome he heard was the thief. It just seemed likely.

"But let me introduce you to Cassie Morella, the ring's rightfull owner, and Tenhelrim, the... errr, what do you do again?"
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

27. - Top - End - #87

GreataxeFighterGuy

Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Macros View Post
    ...and Tenhelrim, the... errr, what do you do again?"[/COLOR]
    Oh this ought to be rich. A man who plays with the dead, explaining what he does to a High Priest of such a Law-abiding Order.

*grabs popcorn*

28. - Top - End - #88

NecromancerGuy

"Well met, sir, uh... holiness. I'm in logistics, of course!"

Thank my stocks, I don't think I've met this priest before. Last time I hauled bodies for Heironeous they got upset at a few missing fingers! It's not like they were using them...

"Rowan here," the necromancer pats the man on the shoulder a bit too hard, "might be pushing his luck with that supposition, but there was a gnome involved when these two decided to donate their lives. And it was a gnome... well, anyway, let's get down to business.

"Tell 'em about the description from the market, fellas... oh, fella and ... lass. The gnome tried to sell the thing a day ago, and now the trail's gone cold. Unless you have a better idea of whether he'd stick around, or where he'd go if not, we have nothing to go on to find him.

"As for these two, we'd hoped you,"
    he gestures to the priest, "or your godly bits could identify them, or if not..."

Bah... why'd I agree to bring these perfectly good meatsacks to a temple. Now we'll never get any use out of them.

29. - Top - End - #89

GreataxeFighterGuy

Danielson listens intently to Tenhelrim's words, scratching his chin when he's finished.

"A Gnome? And these," The Priest motions to the bodies, "...two Bandits. Rowan when I handed you this assignment, in the back of my mind I had feared this would happen, though I had hoped it was just a common mugging. The truth is...this sounds like a bigger job. For years, there's been this huge theft ring that's worked the underground of Crestfallin'. The constabulary has tried to track them but when the city is as large and prosperous as Crestfallin' is, well you get the idea. Need more manpower in a sense. Anyway, the guy at the head of the ring has acquired the name 'Doublelock', on account of his ability to break locks at an extraordinary fast pace. His real name is Glim Turen...and yes, he is a Gnome. It would seem this Signet ring job is one of his works. Turen is wanted for many offenses throughout the land, but the slippery bastard is always able to slide through the cracks. I guess, that's to be expected of a professional thief."

Danielson turns to Cassie. "I guess, you probably won't ever see your Ring again, as long as ol' Doublelock is involved. And that's very sad. Although if you can somehow track him down yourself and bring him to justice...you'd not only get your Ring back, but you'd also be hailed a hero of Crestfallin'!" Danielson finally turns to the other three. "I'm terribly sorry, I did not see you arrive. What can I help you with?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Reaven waits patiently beside Syviraux, not speaking but remaining at attention ready to reply if spoken to but making no effort to speak to any one or to draw notice to himself.

Both willing and preferring to let one of his two current employers do the talking, 'After all, I think earlier events prove that my skills in diplomacy need to improve.' he thinks ruefully, shaking his head slightly to rid himself of such thoughts he goes back to waiting.
    There is a thin line between genius and madness, and I'm currently using it as a jumprope.