New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: [IC] Crestfallin' - The Land of Magical Adventure!

Tenhelrim turns to the clearly disappointed dwarf. "Now, this isn't all bad news. It seems we at least know now who took the ring. And!" he thrusts his finger in the air, "We know that he is a resident here, and likely to stick around!

"Now, if you are still interested in getting your ring back... I suppose that's the rub. Do you feel like being a hero?"

Heroes. Worthless titles and fanfare. But an underground thief network full of items long forgotten... that is interesting.

2. - Top - End - #92

PaladinGuy

Putting his own worries aside for a moment, Rowan threw Skye a worried look.

"You say miners are in danger right now?"

He then turned toward Danielson, a pleading expression on his face.

"Sir, I know my task is still not done, and believe me when I say I will see it through. But right now, it seems there are more pressing matters. If not me, I'm sure the Temple can at least someone to assist?"
    Last edited by Macros; 2014-02-21 at 04:28 PM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Cassie listens to the priest talk about the gnome and the theif circle, and think for a few seconds before shouting "I will not let the ring my father gave me, remain in the hand s of some gnome thief and his band of miscrents. I am going to go after them, anyone with the stones to follow is more than welcome." She turns to the priest and asks "Where would be the best place to poke around for information about these ne'er-do-wells?"

Valérie Jeanne - Plays in "Noble Trouble" Corre+ Game
    Cassie Morella - Plays in "Crestfallin" Corre+ Game

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

The young dragonborn lady steps forward and respectfully bows. "Syviraux, formerly of The Clovis Federation, at your service Your Grace." She then turns to face the armoured human man who asked the question. "According to a request posted in the hall of the Adventurers Guild, the miners became trapped after encountering a tribe of creatures in the mine. Other than that, we know little of the situation." She nods at tall young man and at Skye. "Indeed, we come here seeking assitance on this mission of rescue. Any recommendations you give will be greatly appreciated."

5. - Top - End - #95

GreataxeFighterGuy

Danielson nodded at the trio mention of the Mine.

"Yes, yes, you would be referring to the Theodicris Mine, correct? I had heard terrible, truly disheartening tales about it. A rescue mission would truly be an admirable goal. Assistance from this temple? Sure sure. Rowan!" The Priest turned his attention to the Knightly individual. "I understand your task with Mr. Turen is far from complete; but saving innocents trapped in the Mine from God-knows-what is a more pressing matter, yes. Please, accompany these three to the Mine. Perhaps your two companions," Danielson especially flashes a look toward Tenhelrim, "...could provide some needed backup too."

Danielson begins to walk away, stopping for just one last moment.

"Oh before I forget. Last I heard, that Mine was inhabited by fairly intelligent, two legged creatures. Do be careful to not rush in blindly with swords drawn. Okay?" The Priest makes some elaborate hand gestures in good faith. "May Heironeous guide your path."

Danielson retreats back into the Temple, leaving the six of you outside of it.

6. - Top - End - #96

PaladinGuy

"Thank you sir, you won't regret it!"

He then turned toward the dwarven warrior, an embarassed expression on his face.

"I am sorry for the delay, but at the very least, we now know your thief is unlikely to leave the town. And as the high priest suggested, would you consider assisting us in the mines? Those miners might need all the help they can get."

He finally turned toward the three newcomers.

"I don't think we've been properly introduced. My name is Rowan Arc, I work for the Temple, helping them to the best of my abilities. What about you?"
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Syviraux steps forward and bows lightly at Rowan.

"Nice to meet you, Rowan Arc. I am Syviraux, recently Reborn in the service of Bahamat, the Platinum Dragon. I'm a new-comer to this city, having just arrived today." She smiles pleasantly, revealing slightly pointed teeth. "I guess you could call me a seeker of the draconic mysteries within, and an enemy of Tiamat, her servants, and her spawn."

She passes an appraising eye over the two human men and the dwarf lady.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Magic Insight to Detect Magic over the three new people.

8. - Top - End - #98

NecromancerGuy

Tenhelrim stares at Cassie for a moment and taps his lips.

This one... well, as much as I'd like to get at a thieve's cache, we have no way to find him.

With a conciliatory bow he addresses her, "I am sorry, lass. I think these fine... uh. folks are right. We have no information to go on in finding the thief. If there were standard places to look for that information, I doubt the fellow would be as successful as he is. I think the best bet is to shore up our resources, as it were, until we can buy what we need to know.

"Which way to the mine? Is it close enough for us to venture there yet today?"

Miners, shminers. I wonder if there is onyx in there...

9. - Top - End - #99

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler: Syviraux
    Show
    No auras present as according to your Detect Magic.

Onward, to the Theodicris Mine then. the quickest way, of course, would be to go back through the Industrial District to the Market District and then out through the city gates. Halfway through the Industrial District, a voice cries out.

"There they are! Returning to the scene of the crime!"
    "I told you they'd be back, like a bathroom grime."

The remaining two Bandits show themselves on the other end of the street, flanked on either side by members of the Crestfallin' constabulary.

"Those are the three. They killed our friends!"
    "Arrest them now. Lest you meet your ends!"

The guardsmen approach the six of you, taking an investigative glance at the mules. They say not one word to you, instead standing at attention with blades at the ready ensuring no one leaves. Approaching the men at a rather brisk pace was another individual. He was decked out from head to toe in a darker tint battlegear, decorated with some sort of golden scales. At his side was a blade larger than a broadsword but not as big as a greatsword, with half the blade having a red hue, the other half a green hue. On his back was a sword about the same size but made completely of the purest, uncut emerald. Finally, around his back was a black cape with a red inside. Once the man catches up to everyone else, he speaks.

"I'm the Captain of the Guard of Crestfallin'...you can call me Double D. I'm here on the report of a pair of murders that happened, right here in the Industrial District, as reported by these two men. I have an arrest warrant written up for a 'Rowan Arc', 'Cassie Morella', and 'Tenhelrim'. You three look the part - I'll give you two minutes to attempt to explain yourselves."

Syviraux, at the site of the man's battlegear, gim'me a DC 10 Fort Save, else be nauseated for two rounds.

Spoiler: Syviraux
    Show
    You would recognize the battlegear as Gold dragon scales.
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2014-02-25 at 02:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

NecromancerGuy

Tenhelrim, used to this sort of unwanted attention waits patiently for the man to finish, then points one long finger at the two bandits and begins to laugh uncontrollably, doubling over in fits.

"You two...hahahaha, oh my pieces, gods... you went to the... gods it hurts, stop making me laugh...

"The guards? Of Crestfallin'? Hah... oh my side... with a made up story... hooooo... and expected them to believe it without divination magic? Hahaha!

Uh..."
    He finally recovers and makes a bow to the captain of the guard.

"Ahem... sorry, Captain. Do you want to bring us to a Cleric now? Or do you want us to explain first and then repeat ourselves when you can verify our statements?"
    Last edited by broodax; 2014-02-25 at 02:35 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

During Tenhelrim's production Skye retrieves her holy symbol of Heironeous from her pack. "Mind yourself. You're not a child." Skye turns her attention to the guardsmen wearing an air of easy, if not easygoing, authority. If they've seen her companions and killing was involved, it's not difficult to work out what really happened. A little embellishment can go a long way.

"Please do not give me a time limit on explaining complex problems. I reported these two to a constable not half a bell past for attempted murder of my companions, the very companions you mentioned, as well as myself, and yet here you are with them to arrest my boys for protecting themselves?" She shows the guards her holy symbol, a finely carved fist of Heironeous on solid oak, polished and lacquered. "We're on official business with the Church of Heironeous, and I have neither the time nor the inclination to end the lives of two more murderous thugs today, not when you fine gentlemen can just throw them into jail pending their trials. You can speak with the Lord Paragon at the temple about the bodies of the dead criminals and the task with which we were beset when they set themselves upon us. It's unfortunate they had to throw their lives away, and I'd be glad to let you detain my compatriots and myself on our return if you still feel it necessary, but at this time we're on our way to investigate a cave-in at Theodicris Mine that may or may not involve kobolds or duergar. Presumably, you want neither hostile kobolds nor hostile duergar in your fine city. If you wish to detain us to curry favor with these murderers I understand, but know that the trapped miners are on borrowed time and the weight of souls lost will rest squarely on your shoulders."

Spoiler: Meta
    Show
    Bluff (1d20+14)[28], if it's necessary, and Diplomacy (1d20+4)[12], again if you deem it necessary.
    Last edited by Saskia; 2014-02-25 at 04:09 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler: DMRolls
    Show
    Sense Motive (1d20+9)[26]

13. - Top - End - #103
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

After stopping beside Syviraux, he focuses on the accusers for moment 'Ya'know, I would take them a bit more seriously if they didn't rhyme and finish each others sentences.' before looking back over to the small group they just recently met, 'from what I've seen and heard so far Tenhelrim maybe, Cassie probably, but Rowan he seems to 'clean' for killing in cold blood, plus they said they were attacked on the way to the temple.' The swordsage reasons out in his mind.

*sigh*

"Troublesome." He mutters under his breath, 'Today's just gonna be one of those days isn't it?' he mentally questions himself.

Looking back over to Tweedledum and Tweedledumber, ' I'm going to kill those two... Don't know how ...Don't know when... but it will painful!' He thinks in anger, annoyed because thing one and thing two just had to go running to the guards 'I mean really, what kind of assassins are they, if you fail you go to ground and plan, you Don't go running to the city guard crying like you got a boo-boo.' his internal rant and reason for anger shifting from the two rhyming fools adding on to his string of misfortune today, to their poor skills in assassination, of course the only external evidence of his anger is a slight scowl and an exasperated huff of air escaping his mouth.
    There is a thin line between genius and madness, and I'm currently using it as a jumprope.

14. - Top - End - #104

PaladinGuy

@the temple

The young knight returned the bow to Syviraux. He had never met a servant of Bahamut, but he had heard enough stories about them. And about her goals...

"Draconic mysteries? That sounds fascinating. I admit, I know very little about dragons, only heard the common tales. Would you mind telling me about them during our travels? I mean, if it's not too much of a bother! This is kind of a hobby of mine..."

The, there was Skye. Rowan's embarassement was visible to the naked eye as he took the young women hand and planted a light kiss on it, stammering his response.

"The pleasure is mine, my la... err, I mean, Skye. And please... just call me Rowan. Sir is... I've done nothing to... I am not... Just Rowan will do." he finished weakly.

All too aware that he was beginning to make a fool of himself, the knight was nonetheless grateful for her offer of assistance. It seemed he had decent companions with him. Well, the man didn't talk much, but he trusted the two women's choice of companions.

@current time

This, Rowan decided, was not a good day. He wasn't so worried about the accusations, even if he had to admit, it stung a little, but he had hoped to put the events of the morning behind him for a while, and ask for guidance about it later. But apparently, the previous fight would not be so easily put aside.

"The situation is as my friends explained, captain. We were on a mission for the Temple of Heironeous when those men ambushed us. We already have reported the incident to high priest Danielson, he'll vouch for us."

Well, perhaps the situation was not exactly as Skye explained ; to be fair, for a moment, Rowan had seemed as lost as the guards.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Fort save: (1d20+7)[24] to resist nausea.

Knowledge (Local): (1d20+3)[5] for Crestfallin' laws.

Diplomacy: (1d20+5)[18], although I may be at a slight penalty here...

Syviraux glares at the Captain, her ire and disgust quite blatant. "Excuse me, Captain," she spits the word almost as if trying to clear a foul taste from her mouth. "But would you be so kind as to let me see that arrest warrant? I would like to see exactly who has issued that warrant, and upon exactly what evidence; for if I am not mistaken, I believe that Crestfallin' law forbids the issuer of a warrant and the enforcer of the warrant from being the same person. Something to do with preventing corruption and the abuse of power, I believe?"

The short dragonlady stares up into the face of the Captain. "Likewise, my understanding is that unless there is an upholder of the law witnesses to the alleged crime as it occurs, or if evidence above reasonable suspicion is presented to a judge, magistrate, or sheriff, an arrest warrant cannot be issued - the person or persons standing accused can only be called forth for questioning pending further investigation. Once again, laws put in place preventing abuse by its upholders." Syviraux holds out a claw expectantly for the warrant. "So if you don't mind...?"

16. - Top - End - #106

PirateCaptain

Upon hearing the verbal lashing her new companion just gave the man claming to be the captain of the guard, Cassie looks shocked. *Here are people I just met and yet they are standing face to face with the law on my behalf, I'd better make sure to return the favor when skulls need crakin.* Keeping her thoughts to herself she watches and waits for the captain to say something, or make a move.

17. - Top - End - #107

GreataxeFighterGuy

The Captain throws up his hands, obviously irritated by the draconians' agitated tone.

"Look. This is a matter that doesn't concern you; only your three...accomplices...over there. You ask for proof? One man's head was severed from his body, by that so-called holy man's own hand! Another man had his skull caved in by that Dwarf over there! That is all the proof needed! Your associates should be executed for their misdeeds - and you dare side with murderers?! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, coming from a stereotypical Dragon-blooded miscreant, after all."

The Captain turns to look to the others...more specifically, at Skye's natural raw charisma and magnetism.

"Look, while I don't have any reason to doubt that you may or may not have business at the Theodicris Mine. And I absolutely agree that helping those trapped in the Mine is imperative. However, your companions' crimes against Crestfallin' residents are grievous. But, maybe we can work something out to repay your debt to society."

Double D turns to the others, not accounting for Syviraux, who he disrespectfully keeps his back turned towards.

"I'll tell you what. As a matter of good faith, I will trust you to go to the Mines and then after you've saved the workers there, report back to me and we can discuss this further. As the Captain of the Guard, I am personally placing you on a 'bailbond' to do what your...beautiful red-headed associate mentioned. Do not try bail-jump; I will find you - and that will only further prove your status as a murderer."

The Captain turns to walk away, leaving the group with a final word.

"I'm watching you...criminals. I'm always watching you."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Waiting until both the captain and the rest of the guards are out of sight and hearing range Reaven speaks up breaking the silence and talking to the group, "Well, wasn't he charming?" he asks in a rhetorical manner, and an even tone the word charming almost drowned in sarcasm.

Pausing for then speaking again his tone still neutral, "No,wait... not charming the phrase I'm looking for is 'about as likable as sandpaper undergarments' yes that's the phrase I was looking for." nodding to himself, slightly happy that he figured out the best way to describe the captain (in his opinion at least).
    Last edited by Enyalius; 2014-02-27 at 03:04 AM.
    There is a thin line between genius and madness, and I'm currently using it as a jumprope.

19. - Top - End - #109

PaladinGuy

"I suppose we can't blame him for doing his job..."

Even if he had a peculiar way to go about it. A couple of months ago, Rowan considered joined the city guard ; if what he just saw was their typical way to handle matters, he was glad he didn't. And did he just call him "holy man"? Of all the asinine...

"It doesn't matter right now. We still have a task to complete. I'll go back to him after this... and hope he'll be a bit more open to conversation then. If not..."

If not, the day would probably end up in jail. A fitting end to what was becoming a dreadful day.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

"You'll notice that the *pothoc faessi* still didn't show me that warrant..." One doesn't need to speak Draconic to realise that the term is less than complimentary.

Syviraux shakes her head in disgust. "Such abuse of a position of authority, and the foulness of wearing the aurix scales - ugh! I fear that he and I will come to blows before my time in this city is done, and only one will walk away." Syviraux turns her silvery, slitted-iris gaze upon the three the Captain tried to arrest. "I sincerely hope my trust in you is not misplaced. If I find that you have been lying to us, I will turn you over to the authorities myself."

She nods at Skye. "Indeed. The longer we tarry, the more risk the miners face."

21. - Top - End - #111

NecromancerGuy

"What in the hells have you got us into now?!" the necromancer quickly switches from laughter to rage. "We could have found someone that actually cares about the truth of the matter!

"Instead, now we let that buffoon continue to presume guilt, and you managed to get those two off free and clear! Who knows when we'll have to deal with them again...

"And worst of all! You've got us all into indentured servitude. A lot of good your pretty face did there. Thank goodness I'm not being cleared of a crime I didn't commit, that would have taken too long! Instead I'll be a slave!"
    he finishes with a snort.

Dragging his mule off in the direction of the mine, "If he wasn't forcing me to do something I'd already planned on I'd be on a road far from here already. But! When we get back to the city we are finding a magistrate before we do anything else so we can straighten this out."

22. - Top - End - #112

PaladinGuy

The young man couldn't blame Syviraux for her sudden defiance. The whole affair seemed pretty suspicious, even from his point of view.

"Don't worry. I can't speak for my two companions, but I have every intention of coming back willingly. Not how I imagined my first task in service of Heironeous, though."

Rowan really was beginning to question his calling. Perhaps it was not too late to become a baker, or something. You could probably save more lives by making bread than by swinging a sword, and he was pretty sure no one in this profession ever beheaded someone. Well, he hoped. His musing was interrupted by Tenhelrim's outburst, and he was quick to jump to the defense of their two new companions.

"That's a little unfair, don't you think? They didn't have to speak in our favor back then, it would probably saved them some troubles along the line. Thank you for sticking to us, Skye, Syviraux. I appreciate it."
    Last edited by Macros; 2014-02-27 at 12:15 PM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

23. - Top - End - #113

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler: Reaven
    Show
    At the mention of the Captain's name "Double D", you would remember that from the stories in the arena barracks earlier. Not that this is personified evidence of being the same person, mind you. But it is enough to make a man wonder.

24. - Top - End - #114

NecromancerGuy

Just keep walking, man. That hussy's uneducated blabbermouth will get her killed soon enough, and if you've managed to ride her to enough reward by then, you can bring her back to carry your treasure.

As if a small delay was in any way comparable to being made a corrupt guard captain's slave. What a pain in my ass.

"No offense," says the man as he gives a pat to the mule.

25. - Top - End - #115

PirateCaptain

Cassie when directly addressed by the hot tounged lady, will reply quickly. "Hey, all we did was defend ourselves from some muggers in a back alley. They called it out as money or lives and we acted, no need to get angry at us because the law in this town is bent. That probably how that thieves circle stays so well intact."

26. - Top - End - #116

GreataxeFighterGuy

En route to the Mines, you have two directions you can go.

1) Is a more East-by-Southeast route. The benefit here is the journey will take only half the time, but it is rugged terrain (no charges, running, and in-combat movement speed may or may not be affected due to this terrain), and you have no idea what to expect - it could be animals, predators, or cute curly snails.

2) Is a more Southern route. The benefit is this is a more direct shot, and more refined as people have been known to travel this route on their daily business. However, this is a much longer route to take (about twice as long) and unlike the rugged terrain, you'd be more susceptible to others' sight (if that's something you're concerned with).

Either choice is fine, but this is up to you as a group to decide on.

27. - Top - End - #117

NecromancerGuy

Tenhelrim eyes the crossroads outside the city and contemplates for a moment.

"I'd be willing to yield if any of you have more pressing concerns, but all told I'd prefer the short route. We haven't mounts to make use of the road, and we're likely to be troubled on it, a suspicious looking lot that we are.

As an afterthought he adds, "Not to mention the miners are likely in more of a hurry than we are..."
    Last edited by broodax; 2014-03-02 at 07:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm inclined to agree," says Syviraux, nodding slowly. "While normally I would advise that short cuts make for long delays, I believe that time may be of the essence in this situation and the more direct route the preferable one."

She looks to the others in the group. "That said, I'm willing to go with the majority opinion."

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I have to agree with Tenhelrim and Syviraux." Reaven says after a few moments of thought.

Deciding to explain his reasoning, Reaven speaks up once again The longer road may be more traveled but there is a chance we may still be accosted or delayed further taking that route, whereas the shorter route has rougher terrain and is slightly more dangerous it is quicker and the miners might need our help sooner rather than later," at this point he pauses momentarily before speaking again, "Best case scenario we arrive quickly, if slightly tired after fighting off a animal of some sort or maybe a highway man or two.

As his finishes speaking a thought pops into his head and he chooses to voice it, "But either way we decide to go we should choose a formation to walk in to better protect ourselves along the way, I suggest a triangle formation with me, Cassie and Rowan at the points and Skye, Tenhelrim and Syviraux at the center to be better protected."

30. - Top - End - #120

NecromancerGuy

"You, sir," Tenhelrim calls back to Reaven, "have an eye for logistics! Transportation arrangements are important, and I agree with your assessment.

"I should add, I'll also be pulling my mobile supply platform here. The mule. I'm talking about the mule,"
    he says with a sneer to Skye. "And he should do well to protect our aaaah.... flank. Yes, flank.

"Let's be on our way then."

The man pulls the mule along the rough path and motions for the martial types to go on ahead.