New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: [IC] Crestfallin' - The Land of Magical Adventure!

The necromancer busies himself loading the mule. When he turns to start distributing the vials, he stops short and watches Syviraux intently.

Amazing! I don't know how many times that would have saved me a load of trouble...

"I must say, that is quite the useful mind you've got there, my lady. Do let us know what you find.

"While you work... where was that paper. Yes, it definitely fits. We can't know of course with the smudges, but I'd wager this lists either the destination or source of this equipment...

Theodicris Mine."

2. - Top - End - #212

GreataxeFighterGuy

Spoiler: Syviraux
    Show
    Ah, okay. So the invocations don't involve chanting? I see. It was the first way I thought of to describe Syviraux's actions - and I didn't know it didn't involve any actual chants (I thought it was just like casting a spell, where they all have verbal components). I'll come up with a more apt description next time. =)

Through Syviraux's focus and concentration, she begins to learn information about these mysterious vials.

12 opaque vials (cure light wounds)
    6 blue (protection from arrows 10/magic, barkskin +2, hide from undead, remove fear, magic fang, spider climb)
    4 green (cat's grace, fox's cunning, bull's strength, bear's endurance)
    2 purple (invisibility, blur)
    1 brown (lesser restoration)
    1 red (potion of firebreath)

All those Potions are at caster level 3, the minimum a caster has to be to take the Brew Potion feat. As for the Boots (since I'd assume someone will ask), the invocation confirms they are Boots of Speed. The Boots are activated by wearing them, then clicking the heels together and chanting "Mas Need For Mas Speed."
    Last edited by 3drinks; 2014-04-02 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Added in details about the boots.

3. - Top - End - #213

PaladinGuy

Rowan nodded at Tenhelrim's words.

"He's right, that's a really practical skill you got there."

Who sent those potions, and why, he had no idea. But if it could help them in their rescue mission, he wasn't about to complain. This first fight had been draining, and served as a stark reminder of how merciless real combat could be.

"You're probably right about this paper, Tenhelrim. Either way, we should press on. Time may be growing short."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    How will we split the potions? Anyway, I'll probably follow Reaven's example and chug one too.
    Last edited by Macros; 2014-03-21 at 03:27 AM.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"That's a wonderful skill you have there." complementing the dragon lady, as he grabs one of the healing potions and downs it.

Now then, how should we divide this, I'm thinking each of use take two of the healing potions,and two others that you want and store the rest on the mule. Again this is merely a suggestion. Reaven offers taking two more healing potions, and puts them in his belt pouch. along with one green.

"And no one should touch the boots until we know for sure what they are, I lost an uncle because he messed around with a unknown magic item. And I don't want that to happen to any of you." he says, shaking his head in sadness at the memory of his uncle's passing.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    I get (1d8+3)[10] health back, take two potions, and the potion of cat's grace.
    Last edited by Enyalius; 2014-03-21 at 07:40 PM.
    There is a thin line between genius and madness, and I'm currently using it as a jumprope.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Ogre in the Playground

Syviraux bows politely in response to the kind words of her companions. "Just a little talent that I have acquired during my studies into the draconic mysteries," she replies with modesty. "With just a little focus I can also sense the presence of magical auras, so if I alert you to magic in the vicinity, you know that I am telling the truth."

The dragonborn nods in agreement with Reaven. "That sounds like a wise idea. If no one objects...?" Syviraux picks up two of the curative potions, the potion of endurance, and potion of lesser restoration.
    Last edited by Dexam; 2014-04-01 at 05:54 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216

NecromancerGuy

Tenhelrim picks through the potions and selects a few.

"Your uncle didn't have a lovely lady like this around. If we're to be going into battle together, you should make use of these the best you can... "

As soon as the rest is secure on the mule, the man begins leading it through the brush again.

Show
    Tenhelrim takes the Tanglefoot bag, the Protection from Arrows, Invisibility, and Firebreath potions.

One of the melee types should use the boots!

I have updated the treasure sheet to show what hasn't been claimed yet. I don't think Macros ever rolled for that CLW he drank, so it's not removed from the sheet yet (did I miss it?). There is still a large variety left.

7. - Top - End - #217

GreataxeFighterGuy

I'm assuming everybody is ready to move on? Or is there anything else anyone will want to do before then? (I leave this open since Rowan and Cassie haven't acted yet in regards to the loot). So I don't want to progress until everyone has had their say.

8. - Top - End - #218

GreataxeFighterGuy

Show
    After a full day of no activity, I'll go ahead and keep progressing this. Rowan, Cassie, and whoever else, feel free to determine the potion allocation in the OOC thread.

It was a strenuous battle. But, the five of you are more the wiser for it. After patching yourselves up and continuing onward to the Mines, you traverse this "road" (for lack of a better term) you finally come to the end of this rugged terrain. Stepping to the ends of this tree, you note the cloudy skies above, judging this to be sometime in the midafternoon (and a storm may or may not be coming in). Another eighty feet or so down, you can make out what looks to be some kind of encampment - you'd suspect this to be the Theodicris Mine. From this distance, it looks...deserted, for the most part. But that could be the distance between you and the encampment being so far away.

What do you all as a group want to do?

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Syviraux surveys the mining campsite, noting the lack of activity. "How unusual. You would expect someone to be around, especially with trapped miners." She glances at her companions. "Is someone willing to scout ahead? I could go, but I'm not exactly the most stealthy individual... Failing that, our best approach is to probably move ahead as a group."

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Yes, the lack of activity is a bit... disconcerting." Reaven says in agreement with the dragon lady.
    "And you're right about it needing to be scouted, luckily as I told you when we first met my skills lie in stealth and reconnaissance." He reminds her, "Now if you all would find somewhere close-by to wait, I'll go on ahead and check things out. But just in case be ready to back me up if need be." The swordsage finishes speaking, then breaks off to sneak into the camp.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (1d20+7)[24] Let's hope this keeps me from being spotted by anything.
    And a perception check to see if I notice any thing to make my job easier,like things I can use for cover, a vantage point that I can use to get a better look at thing, you know the usual. or anything that would give some clue to what happened here. (1d20+6)[17]

And a second check (if needed, and not covered by the other roll) to keep alert to anything that would make my job harder, like sentries, or things that will make excess noise, like gravel, broken glass, twigs and stuff, ya'never know. (1d20+6)[7]
    Hey, it happens enough in movies, I don't want it to happen to me.
    There is a thin line between genius and madness, and I'm currently using it as a jumprope.

11. - Top - End - #221

GreataxeFighterGuy

Reaven creeps down closer and closer to the Camp, careful to not make noise and alert anyone that might be around to his location. There's a few tents set up in somewhat organized columns. Around the front of the Mines, you can spot four "Orc-like" individuals, you take cover behind a barrel on the right-hand side of the far tent. They would appear to be preoccupied with something, constantly looking around as if looking for whatever it may be. They don't appear to be armed for a fight. From your position, you're about thirty feet out from their location. From the immediate surroundings, you'd assume those Orcs over there might have had something to do with whatever happened here.

Now what?

12. - Top - End - #222
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

'Orcs, why did it have to be orcs.' The swordsage mentally bemoans his luck, 'But, what are they focused on?' he thinks to himself.

Looking closer, he tries to find out what has got their attention, from his spot behind the barrel. If that fails he'll just have to circle around and try to find a better vantage point before moving on to check the rest of the camp.

Spoiler: Actoins
    Show
    Okay (1d20+6)[24] to see what is distracting the orcs, if that doesn't work (1d20+7)[9] to sneak to a place with a better angle then another (1d20+6)[15] look at the object that draws the orc's attention. And since I don't know what they are focused on, I can't really plan accordingly, and I don't want to jump the gun.

Edit : Didn't know if I needed to roll if I'm just hiding behind the barrel but, [roll]1d20+7[/roll] just in case.
    Last edited by Enyalius; 2014-04-05 at 01:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #223

GreataxeFighterGuy

The Orcs keep looking back to the road, albeit nervously, as if they were waiting for someone or something. From their apparently unarmedness, you'd ascertain it may (or may not) have something to do with the crates you found at the wagon earlier.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

'Okay, so they might be waiting for the wagon. well too bad for them, they'll be waiting for a long time.' Reaven thinks to himself. No matter, I have a job to do, and a good bit of the camp left to check. the swordsman thinks, returning focus to the task at hand, he attempts to sneak away to check the rest of the camp before going back to the others.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    [roll[1d20+7[/roll] to stealth around camp, and (1d20+6)[10] to keep alert to anything of importance.

And if the trek back to the others isn't covered by the first stealth roll (1d20+7)[16]

15. - Top - End - #225

NecromancerGuy

What is he getting into down there... no trouble yet at least.

"He should be heading back soon..." Tenhelrim mutters under his breath. He secures the mule to the most suitable post he can find in expectation of heading down to the mine once Reaven returns.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Syviraux nods softly in agreement. It's all very quiet down there. If there's any kind of major trouble I hope Reaven has the good sense to call for help, and not try being too heroic and take things on single-handedly.

She stares back at the campsite, trying to catch any glimpses of movement; and nervously loads a bolt into her crossbow - just in case.

17. - Top - End - #227

GreataxeFighterGuy

Reaven successfully slinks around the Mine, coming back full circle to your camp. Does he have anything of interest to report? did he discover anything of note? That's something we'll leave for our resident Swordsage to disclose.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Reaven having reach the safety of the camp begins to relay the information he gathered while sneaking through the camp,"Nice to see some friendly faces once more, now on to more important matters. I've got some good news, and some bad news." he pauses form moment trying to decide which to tell them first before going with the bad news.

"Bad news, from what I was able to see, the camp is completely empty, except for three orcs, that I was able to see, that were watching three road." He tells them, in a even voice with a grim look one his face.

"Good news However, was that there were only three orcs." as he says this his features lose a bit of there grimness and show a bit more relief, and his tone lightens just a touch. "But as I said, all I was able to find were three orcs, there may be more that I couldn't see, so we need to be careful."

19. - Top - End - #229

NecromancerGuy

Goblins, big goblins, orcs... what a mess...

"I think there's nothing to it then but to go introduce ourselves," the necromancer turns from the mule hold his guisarme suggestively. "They may be the lost miners, the attackers, or just a picnic party, but we're not going to find out from up here."

I still don't understand who posted the job... were the weapon makers simply trying to drum up business?

The fellow stashes a few more potions on his belt and starts toward the mine, though after a few steps he motions for the martial folks to once again lead the way.

Show
    Tenhelrim will take a few more potions after others have grabbed theirs, the list is still up to date here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...rive_web#gid=0 I believe.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hold up," calls Syviraux after Tenhelrim. "We might want to think this through a bit, first."

She pulls out her dagger and crouches down, drawing a crude map of the mining camp in the dirt. "Reaven, can you show us on here where these three orcs are located? And the entrace to the mine? If there are more orcs around, then there's a pretty good chance they might be hiding in the mine itself - possibly with the miners held captive. When we go down to introduce ourselves, we need to make sure we can cut them off from reaching reinforcements if they turn out to be hostile. Also," she looks meaningfully at her companions, "Let's try and take at least one of them alive if possible. They might be able to tell us what is going on, and what we might face inside the mine."

21. - Top - End - #231

GreataxeFighterGuy

Since it might be hard for Reaven to describe what he saw (especially when I never gave him a map >_>) here's something my crude Photoshop abilities crafted. The black squares represent tents, the brown represents barrels - standing in a square occupied by a barrel provides +4 Cover to AC, but also makes it harder to attack (you don't have as much room to maneuver) so you take a -2 to attack rolls made from these squares). The green at the bottom represents the terrain you're leaving, and the green at the top represents the Orcs that Reaven managed to find. They're currently looking to the road (which is on the left side of the map) which treats them as surprised (flat-footed) until they react to you or are otherwise alerted to whatever you may or may not be wanting to do.

22. - Top - End - #232

NecromancerGuy

Tenhelrim strides purposefully into the camp and begins lambasting the orcs in Goblin with the hope that they know the tongue.

"Thek la'ag dun mor-dun, kal ofrun bag dal nak'al!" The man points with his polearm toward the west side of the camp, away from the tents and barrels.

Spoiler: Goblin
    Show
    "Your shipment didn't make it. Get yourselves over there, unless you don't want to make it either."

Show
    Intimidate - (1d20+8)[24]

23. - Top - End - #233

GreataxeFighterGuy

The Orcs, surprised by Tenhelrim's words take heed of the curved spear in his hands. The four Orcs turn tail and run away, inside the large tent (that leads to the Mine entrance).

In their hasty retreat, they left a few possessions, not much but is better than nothing.

• Trail Rations x4
    • Tankard of Liquid (from the pungent scent, you'd predict this to be Orcish Mineral Spirits - a unique Orc alcoholic beverage capable of putting even the sturdiest non-Orc on their butt after a few sips.)

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"And now their going the others... great. is the sarcastic remark of the swordsman.

Unsheathing his blade, he walks up beside Tenhelrim, "So, what's the next phase of the plan?" he asks, wanting to hear the next step of the mage's plan.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

"I guess we've got a couple of options," the small dragonlady offers, strolling up. "We could wait and see if they come back with reinforcements; or we could follow them into the mine. Either option carries its risks."

Syviraux turns to Tenhelrim. "I take it you tried to speak to them in Goblin, because you don't speak Orc? While I do have a bit of a knack for languages, that's one I've never had the chance to fully learn; maybe I should make the effort some time."

26. - Top - End - #236

NecromancerGuy

The man stops short as the monstrous miners retreat into the tent. Leaning on his spear, he spits and turns to his companions. "I apologize. They must have known we were coming... and quick things too...

"I agree those are the options. We may have one further concern, in that my, uh... energy, is nearly spent. If we were to make camp, and ready anything we might need for an expedition into the mine, we'd likely be far better prepared in the morning."

He pokes his head into the tent and attempts to get an understanding of where the mine goes for at least the first twenty feet or so.
    Last edited by broodax; 2014-04-22 at 09:18 AM.

27. - Top - End - #237

GreataxeFighterGuy

Tenhelrim pokes his head in through the tent to reveal a dimly lit corridor (less than torchlight, although not enough to "turn on" darkvision) barely illuminating the dirt floor and rough, natural rock walls. This corridor looks to be just ten foot wide and extends for about twenty feet that you can tell then trails into darkness.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"I may be outta line for speaking so boldly about this but maybe i should be the one to go down into the drak creepy tunnel first. Just offering my suggestions to anyone who cares." Cassie will say this rather unsure if her idea is going to be accepted.

Valérie Jeanne - Plays in "Noble Trouble" Corre+ Game
    Cassie Morella - Plays in "Crestfallin" Corre+ Game

29. - Top - End - #239
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"What a wonderful idea, my fine dwarven companion." Reaven speaks up, seconding the female dwarf's idea.

"You go first, and I'll be right behind you."

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

"By all means, lead on," Syviraux says to the Dwarven warrioress. "Though if things get a little hostile in there, I may need to get past you in a hurry."

She turns to Tenhelrim, concern on her reptilian face. "Will you be okay if we proceed? I can't speak for Cassie or Reaven, but I'm okay to go on."