New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: [BiTPR2] Renewed Revolution: Spirit World III

[RUKONGAI, TAKAKURA RESIDENCE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroimaken View Post
    "You obviously have too much on your mind, Satoshi. Remember some of the easier, simpler things. Each soldier out there with you is trying his hardest. That's really all we can ask, isn't it?"

At this point, she's really started cooking. And something smells good.

Spoiler
    Show
    I think one last pose with Satoshi savoring her food is as good a close to this scene as any. What have you got in mind?
    ((Once he's had some time to germinate on this stuff, I figure it'd be time to introduce the spirit of his zanpakuto via a short dream sequence. I don't think I'll have it amount to any significant development, since it's so early on, but it'll at least serve to show that she's starting to notice his potential.))

"Yeah, you're right," the novice Shinigami admits. "I just need to put things in perspective, I guess..." Once his mother starts cooking, he leaves her to her work, glad to have ended that conversation on a lighter note than when it started. Her cuisine turns out incredible, reminiscent of the kinds of things she'd make for all the kids in town on the evening of the New Year; even if they didn't need the food for sustenance, the taste was always divine...

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

That's a mother's cooking for you. It helps that she sees how hard her boy's trying, doesn't it?
    The Void, the Cold Steel, the Just Sword courtesy of Prime32.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

Soul Society
    Office of the Commander General

While Koutarou talks to the SSI, the alarm stops flashing red.

It is still going on. But now the flashing light is exclusively green.

The glass-covered button remains untouched.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

It can't be good either way.

Koutarou briefly wonders what the purpose of said button might be. The biohazard signal is a dead giveaway for "something to keep locked up".

Since it isn't blaring anymore, he assumes the green light is the default state for whatever happened.

So, while he waits for the Commander-General to pick up the friggin' phone, he stares at this incomplete puzzle.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

I met a girl with a really pensive look. I walk up to her, put a fifty cent coin in her hand, "For your thoughts. I know the going rate is supposed to be one, but I figure you play hardball."

She gave it back, "Keep it. Pretty sure a guy with your charm can find a way to have them for free anyway."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler: A tired old Majora's Mask reference
    Show
    [Dawn of the Second Day]
    [~~48 Hours Remain~~]

The rest of the day passes without incident, and Satoshi is glad to wake up the next morning without feeling beaten or bruised for the first time in weeks. Strangely enough, he never did end up greeting his father the night before, but he shrugs it off as a coincidence. He'll look for his mother after dressing himself, but he won't expect breakfast any more than he did supper the night before.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Instead, he meets his father at the dining table. He looks happy to see his son, but doesn't get up, certain his boy will come to greet him.

Mmmmmmm. Coffee.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Satoshi seems confused at first, not sure how exactly to break the ice under these circumstances. He eventually approaches the table and says, "Uh... Hey Pops... Been ages, huh...?" This is especially awkward for the younger of the two parties, considering how he hasn't even seen his father yet despite planning for it the night before.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

"What on earth is wrong with you? Come give your old man a hug, Satoshi. Come on!" He spreads his arms invitingly.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"What on earth is wrong with you? Come give your old man a hug, Satoshi. Come on!" He spreads his arms invitingly.
    It's hard for Satoshi to know what to expect from his father; after all, it has been six years, and the man has always been a bit unpredictable. He hesitates a bit but eventually embraces him, unsure what else to do. At some point, he'll say, "Sorry I missed you yesterday. I knew you were working, so I left you to it, but I didn't think I'd fall asleep before you came back...Everything been OK on the home front since I've been gone...?"

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

"Your mom's right, you're still the same old worrywart. I usually go to bed much later than that, boy. Don't you go getting your pants in a bunch about it."

His father embraces Satoshi very, very tightly. If he didn't know better, the young Shinigami would think his old man had gotten stronger.

That was just what missing him did, though.

"Everything's been fine. Stray bandit or two, but nothing we ain't used to.

How have you been?"

Satoshi knows the tone of that question. Looks like his mother's talked to him already.

Setsurou smiles once he's done gulping on a dumpling. "Well met, Naijeru-san. I dropped by to see how the preparations for the Rukongai operation are coming along.

I also happened to stop by Engineering on an unrelated matter, and Koutetsu-san showed me an interesting invention. A Kidou weapon that can paralyze unpowered subjects as if struck by sufficiently potent Reiatsu. I wanted your opinion on how such weapons might be employed - they're less effective than our soldiers, of course, so I was thinking we could perhaps issue a couple of those to any Rukongai recruits. They seem pretty effective. What's your take on it?"
    Last edited by Kuroimaken; 2014-02-14 at 02:38 PM.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Your mom's right, you're still the same old worrywart. I usually go to bed much later than that, boy. Don't you go getting your pants in a bunch about it."

His father embraces Satoshi very, very tightly. If he didn't know better, the young Shinigami would think his old man had gotten stronger.

How have you been?"

Satoshi knows the tone of that question. Looks like his mother's talked to him already.
    The question makes sense, but it's how his father asks it that makes Satoshi nervous again. It's that tone of voice that won't abide any exaggeration or embellishment; he'll only accept the truth, nothing more and nothing less. "I've been having a rough time of it since graduation," he admits. "The Gotei divisions are worlds apart from the academy...They expect a whole lot more out of every member, even from newbies like me...Honestly, it's kind of discouraging. Everyone keeps telling me to just keep trying and to do my best, but what happens when that's not enough? Effort can only carry me so far..."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

"And your mother has adequately smacked you for that mindset, I trust?

Son, any kind of school can only give you basic knowledge. Anything else you'll learn through experience. It's one of the reasons your superiors are all older than you. Demanding more from you is a way of trying to see if you've got the drive to rise above that. At the end of the day, anyone can swing a sword. But it takes the really smart to know when.

You'll make mistakes, everyone does. You'll live to learn from them. You will err on the side of caution, you will err on the side of overkill. But ultimately you will learn. That's what they mean by 'doing your best'. They want you to try and make the best decisions, and if you can't, pick the one that helps the most people."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

How have you been?"

Setsurou smiles once he's done gulping on a dumpling. "Well met, Naijeru-san. I dropped by to see how the preparations for the Rukongai operation are coming along.

I also happened to stop by Engineering on an unrelated matter, and Koutetsu-san showed me an interesting invention. A Kidou weapon that can paralyze unpowered subjects as if struck by sufficiently potent Reiatsu. I wanted your opinion on how such weapons might be employed - they're less effective than our soldiers, of course, so I was thinking we could perhaps issue a couple of those to any Rukongai recruits. They seem pretty effective. What's your take on it?"
    Naijeru rubs his scruffy short beard as he ponders Setsurou's words. He eventually starts speaking after a few seconds deliberation. "Well it is less effective then our men but depending on how much it costs to make it could be a good way to help the civilians feel safe. It is a tool that could provide a sense of security. Plus the fact that it can imitate that effect means that more violent criminals can be more safely subdued. All in all a good tool to use. And your idea seems to be the best one way to use it Setsurou-san."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

"Best of all, Koutetsu-san tells me the effects are pretty much wasted on anyone with enough spiritual power. So they can't be turned on us, and even if they did, nothing to worry about. Plus we avoid any nagging from nobles.

I'll run the figures by the Commander. But all in all I think we're ready to implement the first phase of the operation."
    The formation of the militia would be the second phase.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Las Noches]

Somewhere in las noches, on a side street, there is an uneven pile of scrap metal, carved stones, and sand, roughly the size of an adult human. Sitting atop it is the arrancar known as Bernadette Almira, idly watching the passers by go about their night.

"I'd like to see the soul society someday, maybe even compare notes with their artists." She's not speaking to anybody in particular but it's clear from the way she says it that she intends to strike up a conversation with whoever heard her.
    Last edited by TherianTheorist; 2014-02-15 at 09:03 PM.
    "Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination."

Baking werewolf by Diremage
    Spoiler: Oddly true
    Show
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Beastly Squall avatar by linklele. Awesome Protean avatar by Serpentine.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"And your mother has adequately smacked you for that mindset, I trust?
    Under different circumstances, Satoshi might crack a smile or laugh a bit. "Yeah," he replies sullenly. "Yeah, she sure did..."

Spoiler: Words of Wisdom
    Show
    Son, any kind of school can only give you basic knowledge. Anything else you'll learn through experience. It's one of the reasons your superiors are all older than you. Demanding more from you is a way of trying to see if you've got the drive to rise above that. At the end of the day, anyone can swing a sword. But it takes the really smart to know when.

You'll make mistakes, everyone does. You'll live to learn from them. You will err on the side of caution, you will err on the side of overkill. But ultimately you will learn. That's what they mean by 'doing your best'. They want you to try and make the best decisions, and if you can't, pick the one that helps the most people."

Satoshi seems conflicted now; his pre-conceived notion of success is clashing with the undeniable logic in his father's words, which align with everything else he's been told thus far. With his conviction in his old ways shaken, he doesn't seem to know what to do, but that may be just where he needs to be at the moment.

"Damn, I...I don't know. I don't know what to think...I mean, it makes sense, but is that the only way to really improve my standing...?" Looks like he still needs some time to give it some serious thought. At least someone was able to get through to him, though.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Orc in the Playground

"Did you become a Shinigami only so you could ascend the social ladder, son? Or did you do it to improve the lives of those around you? Did you do it to prove yourself to others, or to your own heart?

What you do next depends on the answer to that question. No more, no less."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"Did you become a Shinigami only so you could ascend the social ladder, son? Or did you do it to improve the lives of those around you? Did you do it to prove yourself to others, or to your own heart?

What you do next depends on the answer to that question. No more, no less."
    The answer to that question is obvious; Satoshi knows it, and so does his father. He instinctively reaches to his neck with one hand and gently rubs the patch of discolored skin where he was struck by lightning seven years ago. Surviving that unfortunate incident had been the turning point in his life, the moment that he'd gained the potential to become a Shinigami. From the moment that he began to exhibit his powers, only his family and closest companions ever really believed that he could make something of it; others considered him a wanna-be who would never actually amount to anything. His joining the Shinigami was the ultimate act of spiteful resistance, a way to show everyone that even someone without a natural gift could achieve greatness.

Recent events, however, have forced him to question his judgment: the beat-down at Tsuchigumo's hands, the "pep-talk" with Urameshi, the three-day leave order, and now the chats with his parents. The constant barrage of doubt has been weighing him down, and with his father's questions, he's finally reached his limit. "Dammit, Pops," he says, exasperated, "I told you, I don't know...! I don't know anymore! I..."

Taking a moment to think, Satoshi considers that he may never have spoken up against his parents like that, let alone cussed at them. "I...I'm sorry...I just...can't deal with all this right now..." Unable to handle any more of the discussion, he stands up and bolts from the house, running until he finds some place where he can be alone for a while...

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    "Hmm. Well we could go over there and pull the alarm apart until we find something that tells us the source. Although that seems like it could backfire pretty easily.

Or I suppose we could try Sawadas private library maybe that would have a mention of what's causing the racket, might take a while to search through everything though. Unfortunately apart from those two it doesn't seem like we have enough information to do much else to be honest, don't suppose you have any better ideas?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: I'm super-sorry this took forever. The last week ended up being kind of busy in general and I can trend toward forgetfulness.)

Michael sat on the other end of the screen for a few long moments, looking very pensive.

"I would be hesitant to dismantle it, assuming the Commander approved such a thing.

As for the library, it's quite possible we could find an answer there. But right now I doubt the Commander would authorize it. I would likely be ordered to shut up and go code some more, and you would be ordered to keep working on your gun.

Because we would be suspect members of a sub-group of Soul Society that has been proven subversive and dangerous to the Gotei. And we would be asking to look through the library of the man who spearheaded said treachery for decades.

It's worth asking but I don't foresee it being granted.
    "

Michaels' expression is one of a man tasting something sour or rancid.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post

The answer to that question is obvious; Satoshi knows it, and so does his father. He instinctively reaches to his neck with one hand and gently rubs the patch of discolored skin where he was struck by lightning seven years ago. Surviving that unfortunate incident had been the turning point in his life, the moment that he'd gained the potential to become a Shinigami. From the moment that he began to exhibit his powers, only his family and closest companions ever really believed that he could make something of it; others considered him a wanna-be who would never actually amount to anything. His joining the Shinigami was the ultimate act of spiteful resistance, a way to show everyone that even someone without a natural gift could achieve greatness.

Recent events, however, have forced him to question his judgment: the beat-down at Tsuchigumo's hands, the "pep-talk" with Urameshi, the three-day leave order, and now the chats with his parents. The constant barrage of doubt has been weighing him down, and with his father's questions, he's finally reached his limit. "Dammit, Pops," he says, exasperated, "I told you, I don't know...! I don't know anymore! I..."

Taking a moment to think, Satoshi considers that he may never have spoken up against his parents like that, let alone cussed at them. "I...I'm sorry...I just...can't deal with all this right now..." Unable to handle any more of the discussion, he stands up and bolts from the house, running until he finds some place where he can be alone for a while...
    His father is certainly distraught at his boy's reaction, and calls out Satoshi's name, but it is in vain. Satoshi runs and runs and runs.

There is one place he can go. It's a small lake at the end of the river that runs through Haidani. People don't usually go there; if they need fish, they can raise those themselves in ponds.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnimeKid View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tamaki thinks over the options before he picks the one that interests him the most. "Very well then. I would love to see the Grand Library. It should proves very enlightening and educational.
    [Las Noches]
    Central District

Jehoel nods, then extends his hands to both of the present mortals.

"Give me your hands."

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tsubame's holding cell

"A truce is, hopefully, putting it mildly", the elder replies. "Let me put it this way: men and women, armed with soul-cutting weapons, cross the boundary between worlds to chase down Hollows and break their masks so that they can be returned to their human form and personality. Who am I describing?"
    [Soul Society]
    Tsubame's Holding Cell

"You are selectively describing the organizations of both the Arrancar and Shinigami in such a way as to make them sound identical, despite significant differences in modus operandi and motivation, not to mention historical context. I can appreciate the notable similarities, but I do not require..."

Tsubame's face catches up with her words. She bows again.

"...please forgive my outburst."
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ettin in the Playground

Li smiles. "You are forgiven. Now, the reason I focus on similarities, is because they are more relevant than the differences. For all practical purposes, the Arrancars of Las Noches are expressing a desire to do our jobs - to be Shinigami. In the long... term..."

Li's brow furrows and Li's voice trails off. Inside the commander's uniform, a phone set on silent alarm is shaking slightly. It's not loud enough for Tsubame to hear or see, though it's clear the commander is distracted. Whoever is calling has a remarkably bad timing. " *ahem* What I was about to say? Oh yes. In the long term, both our peace with Arrancars and their right to exist depends on how well we can make them perform our job. In a way, you can say they walk a similar trail than the Quincy - they are just a few steps ahead."

The commander walks to the door. "So, even if negotiations with the Quincy prove to be fruitless, your technology may still prove vital. Don't give up, Hazuki-san."

With those words, the commander leaves... and once out in the hallway, draws out the phone and answers Koutarou. "Speak. What is it?"
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2014-02-18 at 09:24 AM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

"We have a heretofore unknown alarm in your office, Commander. SSI has yet to trace anything it might connect to. Next to no help on what it might be related to, either. All we have to go on is a green light, a red light, a biohazard symbol and a button. Up until a few moments ago it was sounding off and the red light was flashing, but it has since stopped.

I thought it wiser to err on the side of caution and not press the button. But we only know one person with access to Commander-level clearance and the know-how for such a setup.

This... might be connected to Von Geister's cell, sir."

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

[RUKONGAI, DISTRICT 63 (HAIDANI)]

Satoshi runs until he reaches the district line, eventually happening upon the lake at the edge of the village. Knowing that it's not often visited, he comes to rest at the water's edge and sits in the short grass, trying to get his head on straight. He rests there for some time, almost completely disconnected from the world around him, and thinks hard about his intentions, his ideals, and his ultimate goal.

(It's not like I don't care at all about other people,) he debates with himself. (I do care about them...like Mom and Pops, and Tsuna-san, and all those kids from town...I want to keep them safe. But...there's no point to worrying about them if I remain as weak as I am. Still, I gained my spirit powers by chance; I know it, everyone knows it...and they're sure that those "artificial abilities" are sub-par at best, that I'll never really amount to anything useful. That's why I decided to practice my power and become a Shinigami: I want to show them all up and...and then what...? What should I do with any of that strength? Am I just using the Shinigami as a crutch? If that's true, then...what was the real point of any of this...?)

That's a good question.

Suddenly, a woman's voice echoes from seemingly everywhere and nowhere at the same time, and Satoshi looks for the source but fails to find anyone within earshot. "Who's there," he calls, but no answer comes to him. It never occurs to him that the voice came, not from his surroundings, but from the depths of his own mind...

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    Internal Security hallway, talking to a phone

"Oh, you mean the alarm behind Izanagi's family portrait." Out of all things hidden in that office, it wasn't hidden particularly well.

"It is related to the Ghost King, I agree. You can call off the SSI trace party, though. As far as I know, it's only a transdimensional radio transceiver. It has no hardline connections to anything in Seireitei. The signal that triggered it must have passed already, so even if I knew the frequency it uses, we wouldn't be able to mirror it anymore." Li shrugs.

"You might as well press it. It won't help us tell where it caught that signal from, but it might buy us more time."
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2014-02-18 at 10:53 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

A small sigh comes from the other side of the line. "Commander, if I may, please allow me to request that such important information be shared in the future? I realize I'm a tad impulsive and unreliable, but that hesitation could've cost us..."

Koutarou goes ahead and presses the button.

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC: I'm super-sorry this took forever. The last week ended up being kind of busy in general and I can trend toward forgetfulness.)

Michael sat on the other end of the screen for a few long moments, looking very pensive.

"I would be hesitant to dismantle it, assuming the Commander approved such a thing.

As for the library, it's quite possible we could find an answer there. But right now I doubt the Commander would authorize it. I would likely be ordered to shut up and go code some more, and you would be ordered to keep working on your gun.

Because we would be suspect members of a sub-group of Soul Society that has been proven subversive and dangerous to the Gotei. And we would be asking to look through the library of the man who spearheaded said treachery for decades.

It's worth asking but I don't foresee it being granted.
    "

Michaels' expression is one of a man tasting something sour or rancid.
    Vern shrugs "Guess we just have to tell them we don't have enough information then. Not really much we could be expected to do with the lack of information after all."

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Soul Society
    Office of the Commander General

Moments after Koutarou presses the button, the hazard sign opens into a screen showing.

A large round chamber, the floor is metal covered in prayer strips, with twelve asauchi stabbed on the ground around it and chained to the floor and the unseen walls, ancient, shriveled corpses grasp the hilts, all but one, which is fallen to the side.

The very center of the chamber bears a large gash where it was apparently broken, and a green radiance comes from beneath, illuminating the place. The breach is at least two meters wide, not too big compared to just how large the entire metal disk is.

A strip of paper comes out of an indent next to the screen, a set of Senkaimon coordinates is written on it.
    Last edited by Draken; 2014-02-18 at 02:29 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

[Soul Society]
    Internal Security hallway, talking to a phone

Li notices Koutarou's voice trailing off. "That alarm wasn't important. To be frank, I'm amazed it still worked. But from your distraction, I can tell you've now pushed it. Did it do something?"

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

"A moment, commander."

Li can hear Koutarou's voice under his breath speaking a set of numbers. Likely writing something down.

"The button opened up a screen. Looks like a large sealing chamber of some sort. Whatever triggered the alarm seems to have breached part of the seal - there's a set of twelve corpses holding Asauchi and one is knocked down.

But what worries me is that the center of the chamber is empty save for a large, glowing gash. I'm not entirely familiar with such installations, but if I had to guess, I would say something 'slipped' past that point and tore open the center. Not much to go on save for that."

Well, kudos to Koutarou for not immediately losing his [feces] at the prospect that whatever had been bound in there might be loose.

"Commander, do the coordinates XXX, YYY, ZZZ, WWW mean anything to you?"

AWSUM

Spoiler
    Show

This one's new.
    Spoiler
    Show