New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Trials of Tokuisei

Mellisandra, the Scarlet Wanderer

Mel was mildly perturbed by the sudden movement. It was her first time being subjected to a teleport of such scale, and for a moment it showed.

Mel is saddened by the obvious battle that has taken place and glances around, looking for survivors. While she does this, she attempts to make out what was celebrating: possible friendly, or definite foe.

I have to give these priest's a decent sending off. The others as well.

Spoiler
    Show

What are the funeral rites for believers of Dex, and is there a difference for their priests? Dex isn't my patron, but he is still in my pantheon.
    Knowledge (Religion)
    (1d20+3)[9]
    Gah, unless I get a bonus for being a worshiper, I probably don't know.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-02-09 at 09:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Jarlyn scowled at the fallen bodies, but upon noticing the slaughter of the heathens to the south he nodded. He had worried that the people of this village had been overcome, but it looked as though they had managed to hold out against Dex's forces. Hopefully that would leave the false-god vulnerable.

He turned to the eagle on his shoulder and instructed it to scout out the area and return back with its findings.

The eagle soared into the sky and began to scout the village and the perimeter.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Velar's spot check: (1d20+14)[31]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

Acerbus stands quietly behind the groups surveying the scene in front of him Population: Eradicated... Mission now much simpler than originally. He notices the monsters in the midst of the destruction and laments at how he will babysit the others. If it were only him he would just slip by undetected and end the mission himself but he was not the chosen. So there he stood, hidden and listening for anything that would be out of place.

Spoiler: Listen Check
    Show
    It makes no sense that they only have listen lol Oh well here goes the check.
    (1d20+19)[38]
    Blarg...

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Eikaba looks around guardedly at the aftermath of battle; he had not seen many fights this large, perhaps none since the raid that marked the beginning of his current path. Had the village folk won? It seemed likely, from the sounds of celebration, but he thought it odd that their dead lay so scattered. And why would no one be keeping watch outside? Were they not fighting a trickster?

"Is good we come quickly, yes?" he says quietly. Looking at the town hall, he adds "Do not wish to interrupt drinking, but we should not be 'skulking.' How should we announce?"
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #65

Aralia Mistbreaker

Aralia shivers a little as the scene around her suddenly shifts into that of the ruined town. She looks around in confusion and distaste at the death and destruction, grimacing. "Well, at least there's still a town here. Kinda."

The magical girl shrugs at Eikaba and lets her weapon collapse into a small necklace for now, but leaves her armor on. "Well, I guess walking in is as good a method as any. Who wants to come with?"
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

6. - Top - End - #66

Acerbus notes the sounds of drunkards celebrating towards the hall and jots it down on one of the many small scraps of paper he has in his possession. Folding the message he silently walks up towards 'the Scarlet Wanderer' and slips it into her clothing, making the action noticeable so she would look at the letter while he was unseen.

Spoiler: Mellisandra
    Show
    Celebration in the halls, mention of a 'Monster Slayer' probably a sign that it is the local populace... proceed with caution.
    Blarg...

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Mel glances at the paper she found in her hand, wondering how the disciple still managed to elude her notice with such ease. She had trained in the more esoteric methods of stealth as well, but he put her modest skills to absolute shame.

I will need to refine my senses, all of them.

She folds the piece of paper and puts it into one of her pockets. Upon hearing the call for volunteers, she speaks up, her voice a gentle whisper.

"I will go. These people are untrusting of outsiders; the clergy is not kind to unbelievers and I should be able to help with that. It is probable that they will spook if we aren't careful. Whatever you do, try to avoid denouncing their god and beliefs. We are guests here, and they have just bought victory with their lives and those of their friends. I suggest, should it come up, we offer to help them in raising their funeral pyre when they are ready."

She unashamedly glances at the prince, making it quite clear that she referred to him at least in part.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-02-12 at 12:31 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Lucien nods, having been taking in the sights. The town is in bad shape alright, but that's what they're here to help with. Red's right, he said. Let's see what we can do to help these guys recover from the attack, then I guess we look around for someway to get to Dex's funhouse. You know the religious lingo, apparently, so you should probably take point, right? he asks, gesturing for the Scarlet Wanderer to go ahead.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Mel frowns at being called "Red" but the frown turns to a grimace when Lucien suggests she speak for them.

"I'm unsure that would be entirely wise Chosen. Monastic training and long travels do not a spokesperson make. If you insist, I will try my best though."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Lucien shrugs broadly. You said yourself that you'd be able to help with the clergy, he said. You got a point, though; I'm not exactly keen on public speaking after so long alone in the woods, either.

Maybe the princess over there could be the spokeswoman. She's all shiny and whatnot, it'd be the light after the storm or somethin'. And you could help her with any religious stuff that comes up. Or something,
    he ends with another shrug.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Mel breathes a sigh of relief.

"If Princess Aralia is agreeable to that, I'd find it much more preferable myself."

12. - Top - End - #72

Acerbus waits as the others deliberate among themselves and realizes he is slightly hungry. Casually he pulls out a chicken wing that he tucked away from the meal and begins gnawing on it absently. He could care less who spoke to who they could talk as much as they wanted what was important was listening and watching a person's reactions. That was something no one was especially capable of when they had to tip toe around conversations with potential hostiles.
    Blarg...

13. - Top - End - #73

Aralia Mistbreaker

Turning around with a grin, Aralia nods enthusiastically. "Of course I'd be willing to. I'm pretty good at making friends and whatnot."

"Still, you all should come along. And Mellisandra, you'll probably need to tell me a bit about the religious stuff, since I've never really studied that kind of stuff..."
    She chuckles sheepishly.
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"Door may be too small for me to follow," Eikaba says with a hint of levity in his tone, gesturing to his nine feet of height. Everything in the palace of Feralia had been built to a grander scale, and the Landsknechte were fond of open spaces, but this was clearly a town built for the little people.

"More important, I see trollkin in fallen - you say 'giants,' yes? - so I think, not welcome. Mayhap ask if their Captain come out to talk? Safer for you, if not friendly."
    Last edited by Sallera; 2014-02-12 at 06:31 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Mel listens carefully to each of the others in turn, waiting for a moment to respond. While she does so, she ponders over the religion of Dex, attempting to figure out what she would need to warn Aralia of before they went.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Religion) (1d20+3)[18]

"I'm unsure how you being seen as part of our company will affect their opinion of us. We don't want to accidentally upset them by being seen as the enemy. Besides, they might see such a mixed group asking after their leader as a poor assassination attempt."

After having said all of this without thinking about how it might be rude to say to the troll, she pauses a moment and then realizes she might should attempt to apologize.

"Erm... No offense meant to you Eikaba."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I'm just gonna assume you move on, Aralia and Mel.

A few minutes of basic education into the principles of Dex was able to explain a few things most wouldn't quite grasp. While Dex was Chaotic Evil, he lacked the will of true evil. His followers were merely those he had obtained into servitude, and their will is not to cause destruction or harm, but to serve Dex. He doesn't delight in mindless slaughter, so they are not particularly active in that regard. Their largest crime appears to be kidnapping particularly beautiful maidens, with virgins being the most targeted. They are merely transported though, to the Mansion, as the higher tier clerics of Dex use them for some kind of ritual. Because Dex is the god of manipulation, his clerics are among the most cunning, which poses a unique interest in the nature of this attack. Dex's highest tier minions are not giants, but demons. Likewise, a frontal attack is hardly his style.

As the advance pair of the party approached the town hall, they could hear something a bit easier. While the ramblings appeared to be merely standard celebratory drinks, the moment the door to the hall opened, they could hear the sounds of men singing. It wouldn't take long to find the source, at least a dozen burly looking men had surrounded a young boy, someone maybe a bit older than Aralia herself, he was being held atop one man's shoulders as a drink was forced into his hands. He nervously tried to chug it down, but gave way half way through, causing the hall to boom with laughter. Nobody seemed to have noticed the new visitors just yet, all quite too content to make merry, as the boy was tossed from the man's shoulders as another set him down to the ground.

He was, something peculiar to be certain. A fairly slender build inclined that he wasn't too strong himself, while his appearance was clearly that of an adventurer, perhaps one from some noble upbringing. Fairly long, for a boy, green hair signified he was at least not entirely human, as matching eyes locked onto the pair of women entering as if seeming to plead for mercy. Perhaps the strangest portion of his attire was the off belt that ran across his light armor, it contained multiple attached sheaths, featuring a variety of different weapons, with the largest placed on his back in the form of a greatsword. Despite his figure, he seemed to be used to carrying such a large load.

17. - Top - End - #77

Aralia's eyes meet those of the strange boy and she smiles softly. Glancing around the tavern, she waves at him and calls out. "Hello! Could you tell me what's been happening here...?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (if needed): (1d20+27)[6](33)

18. - Top - End - #78

The sound stopped as Aralia spoke, with the attention suddenly moving towards her, a long moment of silence as she and her companion were appraised, before a somewhat lanky man moved forward, along with a somewhat overly roundish dwarf at his side.

"An outsider?"

"Like that has ever been good news."

"It's a kid-"

"Don't be so rude...

After them would appear a young Semitryan woman of... dangerous levels of beauty. Shapely and clearly of a higher class than most of the others here. The boy looked to her with something of a sheepish grin on his face, as she'd simply shake her head. Long black hair flowed behind her, as she placed a hand on the adventuring boy's shoulder and focused a somewhat innocent looking pair of red eyes towards the pair of women. Her style of clothing was not Semitryan, but high class Feralian fashion.

"I am Tomoko, the... newly instated Matriarch of this village, now that my mother has passed. It is my task to invite you into Hanroo Village, and I thusly do so. As you can no doubt tell, my home has been besieged by the forces of Dex. We are still in the process of mourning, so we cannot help you right now. I won't turn you away, as this place is somewhat dangerous without a guide, but please respect that we have little we can do. At least until Reiaz takes care of Dex."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Jarlyn listened to Velar's report and then signalled to his two effigies to remain behind with Eikaba. "I perceive that something is amiss here. These people may not be true followers of the Supreme, but any enemy of Dex is my ally, at least for the short term. But for Dex to throw away such a force as this, especially when he is not famed for his armies, no... something is up."

"We shall need to be on guard against the lies and illusions of his minions."

With that Jarlyn approached the building that Mellisandra and Aralia had entered. He was no fool, he could be encouraging when needed, as was the role of a priest and prince, but his goal here was the destruction of a forsaken power, and he knew something was amiss.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"Is true, yes," Eikaba replies. "We arrive, I think, battle look strange. But assuming is also dangerous." As the others go inside, Eikaba moves to stand sentry to the side of the door, where he could hear at least a little of the conversation without alarming those within.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Lucien had walked in without drawing attention to himself; in front of large crowds of people, he prefers not to be noticed much. So he stays quiet and watches his surroundings. The situation, the threat of the vassals of a god and the retching smell of death, quiets his normally obnoxious personality.

This Reiaz, presumably the slender boy with the sword too large for his frame; they think that he will take care of Dex? Well, that sure would make things easier for him. And what is such an ostentatious woman doing in an out-of-the-way village like this one? Even a backwoods bumpkin like him can realize that she is out of place here.

Dex is the master of manipulation...have they already hit upon one of his machinations? Lucien keeps an eye on the woman, and on the boy, and continues to watch.

Spoiler
    Show

Sense Motive on Tomoko: (1d20+17)[28]
    Sense Motive on Reiaz: (1d20+17)[30]
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2014-02-17 at 08:43 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82

"Ah, hello. I'm Aralia Mistbreaker." The magical girl smiles and gives Tomoko and Reiaz a nod of the head. "Thank you for your hospitality"

"We can help with taking out Dex too."

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Mellisandra saw this as a chance to help them while still giving the priests their rites.

"Aye, we could help you with the corpses you seem to have piled at your door. It wouldn't help if you had scavengers knocking looking for the dead."

24. - Top - End - #84

Acerbus nimbly slips into the tavern behind the other ladies and begins casing the place; taking number of its inhabitants, how many were armed, possible exit routes, general structural integrity of building, fire hazards anything that may prove useful later on. Taking the time to write out this information on a piece of paper he also will grab any unattended edible morsels to snack on because he ate when he was anxious and being around a large crowd of rowdy people made him very anxious. When satisfied with his information gathering he added a short message to the paper and quietly slipped it into 'Scarlet's hands'

Spoiler: Note to Mellisandra
    Show
    This will contain any info that our Gm grants Acerbus on top of this: Will follow boy, establish if he will be of any use or hinderance. If hindrance I will eliminate him, if he is not opposed to us and of use i suggest he be placed up front as a meat shield. I will also place the woman under serveillance to determine relative threat level and if need be eradicate along with boy.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    So Acerbus will take twenty on spot/listens to gain whatever info he needs to satisfy his OCD and will tail the red eyed woman and green haired boy. He will take 10 for hide/MS and move at full speed at a -5 penalty for 46 to hide and 42 move silently.
    Blarg...

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Mel looks over this young warrior, having noted that the gnome would be tailing him. She tries to discern what exactly he is, as he is something of a mystery to her. He didn't need to find the gnome, he should be able to handle himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Nature: If he's fey, giant, or monstrous humanoid)
    (1d20+3)[12]
    Knowledge (Arcana: Maybe he's a dragon?)
    (1d20+3)[20]
    Knowledge (Local: Or some weird humanoid? Possibly templated)
    (1d20+3)[7]
    Knowledge (Religion: Religious paraphernalia, or possible Undead )(1d20+3)[16]

26. - Top - End - #86

Spoiler
    Show

Taking 20 will take a couple posts to complete.

There seemed to be a bit more soberity growing into the hall as the small army of adventurers revealed themselves, Tomoko nodding to Mel with a soft smile.

"Of course, we only just escaped that incident, so we haven't tried proper cleaning up. We've been too busy with Reiaz."

"Tomoko, I didn't mean to... nn- Aralia Mistbreaker. Alright then, I thought there was more of you. I'll need to open the path of light. I don't want to leave right away, there could be more attacks. I'm going too wait until morning... unless you guys are too insistent."

"Reiaz?"

"At this time, I have allies for the first time. It is my duty to kill Dex as soon as possible. I don't want to risk your people, but if these guys can't wait I cannot afford to lose their assistance. Who knows what that demon has planned for me?"

Reiaz would smile casually as the worry would fade from his face, seeming to be staring a bit intently on Lucien. It didn't take much to tell there was something going on. Although he'd made eye contact with Aralia to speak with her, the rest of the time, he seemed to just be studying the Chosen, disregarding Tomoko's presence entirely.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Mel looks over this Reiaz with renewed interest. She had things she needed to discuss with the others now, in private.

You are a strange one Reiaz. I will find out your secrets soon.

Without turning, Mel whispers to Aralia in as inconspicuous a manner as possible.

"We need to leave now. Do what you can to be polite."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Curiosity overcoming his desire to avoid alarming the townsfolk, especially since friendly terms seemed to have been established, Eikaba leans over to get his head down to a more normal level outside the door. "Wait until morning is good. Protect town, protect us, gain knowing."

Turning his eyes toward Reiaz and the townsfolk, he adds "Is good you want help. But who is duty you speak of to? I hear, kill Dex is duty of Chosen." He neglects to mention that said Chosen is present in their party; the situation was confusing enough, and his instinct was to hide his ignorance first and ask questions later, among friends.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

29. - Top - End - #89

There would be a slight shift in the hall, as Reiaz took something of a defensive stance, Tomoko would quickly move behind him, and just about every patron within the hall seemed on edge. It only took a moment, though, as the green haired boy would sigh in relief, before slowly nodding his head. However, he wouldn't be allowed to speak, as Tomoko would right herself, keeping a hand on the younger boy's shoulder.

"That is right... Reiaz is Chosen of the Supreme Authority. He is the only one with the power to kill Dex, or any of the other Fallen."

Reiaz would simply turn his eyes in discomfort, abstaining from adding his own piece to conversation.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

The response to the troll is unsurprising, but what Lucien sees Reiaz begin to do brings a frown to the woodsman's face. He takes a step to stand more between the door where his friend is and the green-haired boy. His glare stops a moment after Reiaz removes his hand from his sword's hilt, but Lucien remains where he had moved.

The "revelation" doesn't surprise Lucien much, but for a moment he wants it to be true: let this self-important kid do the dirty work so he can go back to his woods and fey-friends. But he knows the king of an entire country wouldn't have gone after a backwoods hick unless he was absolutely sure that Lucien was the Chosen, so the only explanation is that they are mistaken. This situation is getting worse by the minute, and even though he knew next to nothing about Dex, he is sure that the Fallen has a hand in this.

Still, he knows that if he said anything at all, then his ****ty people skills would just be a liability. So he considers the boy's reaction to the declaration; for one who had been so proud, he is surprisingly quiet. And he considers Tomoko: does she believe what she is saying? And why the hell had the kid been staring at him so intently before?

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive on Reiaz' silence: (1d20+17)[35]
    Sense Motive on Tomoko: (1d20+17)[34]
    Sense Motive on Reiaz' staring contest from a few posts back: (1d20+17)[22]