New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Trials of Tokuisei

Aralia nods in agreement. "Yeah... as easy as it would be to just run in, we do need to figure out what he has in store for us first. Still, we should be prepared to fight if needed."
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Well, we can't do anything sneaky without information, Lucien says. Why don't you tell us what you know about the situation, Reiaz? Surely you know more than us about it.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

The boy would frown a bit as the cooler heads seemed to prevail with the party, Reiaz finally sighing as he relented, irritation still noticeable, even to the less apt.

"Knowing Dex? I don't really care much about him. If it wasn't for my little pocket deity, I wouldn't have been trying to kill him. If anything, I'd be trying to bring him back. This world is pretty shoddy, in everything. People are stranded here, and hold onto the Supreme Authority with the desperation that he cares. I find that to be pretty foolish. If he cared, he'd have been more generous."

Reiaz, would avert his eyes a bit as he spoke, before staring at Lucien again. His words would take a somewhat darker turn, but hadn't become any less earnest.

"But, whoever is Chosen will become the Supreme Authority. Since there are two of us, I'll just have to kill you, before we finish off the last of the fallen. That way I can fix things. I'll be able to make the world a real utopia."
    Last edited by Mura-neechan; 2014-03-03 at 05:33 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Jarlyn had planned to watch this man carefully, but he barely contained his rage as the youth insulted the Divine, and postulated resurrecting the heathen god. He did not try to conceal his hatred and contempt for the stupid boy, and he stood with the party and seethed. Once the others saw him for what he was, they would end the impostor and thus end Dex's plot.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Mellisandra, the Scarlet Wanderer

Mel does her best to catch Jaryln's eye and let him know non-verbally that she's going to handle this.

"Reiaz, are you familiar with the ways of the Order of the Long Knife? I have a proposal for you, if you would listen."

Mel spends a moment focusing herself and briefly meditating as she waits for his reply.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mel adopts the Dance of the Spider and uses Adaptive Style to reselect maneuvers.

Maneuvers Ready (6)
    Shadow Jaunt (Shadow Hand 2, Standard Action) [Teleport]
    Move 50 ft. as a Standard Action
    Cloak of Deception (Shadow Hand 2, Boost)
    Invisibility for 1 Round
    Shadow Garrote (Shadow Hand 3, Strike)
    Ranged Touch Attack deals 5d6 damage, may flat-foot target
    Sapphire Nightmare Blade (Diamond Mind 1, Strike)
    Concentration check allows attack that deals +1d6 damage vs. Flat-footed AC
    Baffling Defense (Setting Sun 2, Counter)
    Use Sense Motive as AC versus 1 attack
    Pouncing Charge (Tiger Claw 5, Strike)
    Charge with Full Attack
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-03-02 at 03:52 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126

Reiaz would simply shake his head. "Afraid I haven't heard of them, but I'm always happy to listen. Especially to one who understands the Way."

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Mel draws her Long Knife slowly, it's black handle culminating in a bone-white blade, too long to be considered a dagger, and shaped improperly were it a longsword. She carefully stares at her Knife with a reminiscent eye.

"My Order, amongst other things, is the propagator of the Trial of the Long Knife, a traditional ritual combat used to settle disputes between those initiated into the Way."

She pauses for a moment here to catch Reiaz's eye and holds it with a powerful gaze.

"During the Trial, we attempt to draw First Blood on our opponent with weapon, maneuver, natural weapon, or fist. Despite the name, you may use whatever weapon you choose, provided it is not provided by spell, nor by projectile weapon. Thrown weapons are permitted, but bows, slings, crossbows, and the like result in disqualification."

Mel let's her gaze fall back to her Knife, which she holds firmly between thumb and forefinger, ready to strike, block, or even twirl her blade in the case of disarming.

"There are a few other rules, mostly disallowing the use of outside magic, but that is the short of it. That said, I, Mellisandra Val'kalesh, challenge you, Reiaz Giantslayer to the Trial of the Long Knife. Should I win, you will aid Lucien in this quest, and will not attempt to kill Lucien before the last Avatar's kill, nor at any time beforehand. Neither will you purposefully permit him to die by inaction, providing that action is not suicidal. Should I lose, I will stand aside when you decide it is time to cut down the man. You are free to alter the parameters until we find a suitable arrangement."

8. - Top - End - #128

Reiaz frowned a bit as he stared at the ninja, before looking around to the others a bit and sighing.

"I suppose I was a bit harsh. But I don't think this is a fair contest. I don't think you can win a match like this against me... but more so. I can't accept your efforts on behalf of Lucien's life. A man has to be a man. Hiding behind women only make you weak... though, I'll definitely take your conviction to heart, Mellisandra Val'kalesh. If, by the time it comes to that point, you wish to try this duel, I'll happily oblige."

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Eikaba watches the growing tensions with care, focusing on the long conversation to catch the more unusual words. This was not a problem that would be easily solved... but it was more important to kill Dex first. If Reiaz or Lucian (not that he expected the latter) were to see it proven that he was not Chosen, the problem would solve itself. If there were two Chosen, then Reiaz, at least, was willing to be honest about his intentions, and they would have time to dissuade him.

"Reiaz, have question," he says eventually. "If world is bad place, you want to make it better, why would you bring back Dex? Is liar-god, yes? Manipulate others, cause trouble. Why would bringing back into world help?"
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that was pretty over the top. And conceited; not because he thought he'd become a god, but because he thought he'd be able to create a utopia by himself. Then again, it would be much easier if he were to become a god. But if the Chosen became the Supreme Authority, you'd think the king would've mentioned something; and judging by the princeling's face, he hadn't been aware of that either.

He snorts at Reiaz' comment on hiding behind a woman. He'd hide behind anyone he had to in order to live, thank you very much. Not like he had pride he was willing to die for. Instead, he says, Look, if you're going to kill me, then at least stick to your word and do it after we finish off most of the Fallen. And hell, who knows, by then we might be able to see which of us is the real Chosen.

11. - Top - End - #131

Reiaz would simply nod to Lucien's response, seeming to be content enough with it. However, Eikaba required more thought and action on, as the boy smirked a bit and prepared another little speech.

"Chaos is fair. Dex takes what he wants, and he doesn't judge the wealthy from the not. Beauty and prestige might be things he likes to obtain, and he might be a pretty annoying personality. But he isn't going to corrupt the world. Even if he was, he's just one of many. If the fallen were to regain their power, they'd be able to restore the world to harmony. But this way is better, this way I can make sure no foul personalities muck everything up."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Mel's nostrils flare, clearly agitated by Reiaz's words. Seeing no clear way to move forward though, she contents herself with looking back into the woods. As she does this, she slowly sheathes her Long Knife.

"Pride is one of the crimes of the Fallen Reiaz. Be careful, lest you tread that path as well."

13. - Top - End - #133

RedKnightGirl

Each word that Reiaz says is like a storm of hornets agitating Jarlyn. He opened his mouth to unleash his pious anger, but forced it shut. The others did not want to fight him, they wanted his help, and refused to believe Jarlyn's skepticism. Further outbursts would only alienate him among them, and he was wise enough to play the long game, watching Reiaz for just one mistake.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, sounding like a broken record. At least this will probably make Jarlyn like the party more if Reiaz takes up all his hatred. Then again, if you guys decide to join with Reiaz more permanently, Jarlyn will probably try something drastic.

14. - Top - End - #134

Aralia groans at the bickering. She steps up and looks around. "Yeah, if we're going to go take down Dex, we should set these arguments aside for now."

A flicker of movement appears in the corner of her eye, and she whips her head around to stare at the alleyway between two of the buildings. "...I saw something move over there."
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Mel looks around for whatever movement Aralia caught, cursing herself for missing something.

First day out, and you're already missing things, come on old girl.

She draws her bow and looks for movement, and possible cover.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+18)[32]
    Mel is looking for whatever Aralia saw, and anywhere that she can Hide in within range of Shadow Jaunt and possibly one move action.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Eikaba looks around curiously before his gaze settles back on Aralia. If she were simply trying to get everyone to cooperate, it was a good idea, but if not, then they should not be so far away from the others. "I think, we are not ones in danger. Is good idea to go back to hall."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive on Aralia: (1d20+2)[7]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

17. - Top - End - #137

"No, no. I did see something, I'm sure of it." Aralia fingers the little trinket around her neck apprehensively.

Spoiler
    Show
    You can't sense any falsehood or trickery from Aralia.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Are you sure it wasn't a hallucination caused by Dex? Lucien asks, looking around. I don't know much about the guy, but making us doubt each other would be a good starting point for the Fallen of Manipulations.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot check: (1d20+17)[27]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

"Is real, we go back, protect hall, yes?" Eikaba shrugs, armour clinking. "Is not real, need do nothing. So if we cannot tell, we go back anyway."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #140

The entire party would hear a horrible scream from a child in the area they were all looking....

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Mel leaps up upon hearing the noise. As she follows the noise back to it's source, she curses to herself.

D'arvit! When I get a hold of your slippery head...

Mel waits to see how Reiaz reacts to this development, steeling herself to remain calm and dispassionate. Acerbus had better explain himself.

Mel moves forward, hoping she can tell if the child still lives or is dead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully between Spot and Tremorsight she can tell if the child is living or dead.

22. - Top - End - #142

Aralia Mistbreaker

"...no." Aralia breathes out, eyes widening. She lifts off the ground and dashes over to the alleyway, appearing there nearly instantaneously. With a concerned look, she crouches over the blonde girl's body, checking to see if there is any hope for her survival.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the blonde child is alive, then Aralia will use one charge of her healing belt to heal her by (2d8)[9].

If not, she'll go check on the brunette.

23. - Top - End - #143

RedKnightGirl

Jarlyn turned in surprise, his anger running cold as he realised that not simply an innocent, but a child had been hurt. He was himself an accomplished healer, if he could only get to the girl in time...

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

His perception not as well trained as his fellows', Eikaba is slower to react to the scream, but he follows the others' movement to its source, a deep frown growing across his features. While he knows he has the ability to heal the wounded in an emergency, the much swifter princess seems to have healing magic of her own, so he takes up a protective stance over her as she works with the fallen, keeping an eye on all of his allies in case the enemy should take advantage of their scattered position to strike again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

25. - Top - End - #145

Acerbus ignores the others as they foolishly rush into the situation without bothering to discern its context. Though when the princess makes any movement towards his other target, the gnome sticks out his sword partially barring access to the imposter "Do not interfere your highness, it is not my intention to cause you harm but if you prevent me from fulfilling my duties then I will be forced to do so. He stares at her with his dead eyes before turning his head back to the 'little girl'.

"I shall only repeat myself once, yield or die, your mistress might fool them but i know the truth behind the matter. Keep playing and you will meet the same fate as the other, these people behind me can try to stop me but I assure you when I make a statement like this I always carry them out."
    Blarg...

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

"Show us what you mean Acerbus. What is going on."

Mel levels her bow at the gnome.

"And it had better be convincing."

Spoiler: Acerbus
    Show
    She doesn't actually intend to fire. Yet.

27. - Top - End - #147

Aralia Mistbreaker

Glaring at Acerbus, Aralia pauses for a second, her look full of anger. "...yes, please do tell us what is going on here..."

She grips her weapon trinket in her hand, fingering it.

28. - Top - End - #148

RedKnightGirl

Either Jarlyn was fooled or the gnome was, but certainly one of them lay under Dex's hand.

29. - Top - End - #149

The gnome ignored their questions, eyes firmly glued on the remaining target, he didn't have time to educate the ignorant when he had more important matters to attend to. He stood their waiting for a reply to his question.
    Blarg...

30. - Top - End - #150

The girl would shift to hide slightly more under the rubble, but it was a pretty feeble defense. She wouldn't get much room to answer, however, as Reiaz would stare at the gnome with fury, his fists clenching, as his body shifted, and the air of the area heated dramatically, as a rush of the searing air would seem to center on the boy, lifting him up into the air about 5 feet.

"You have one chance. Lay down your weapons and surrender, or face incineration. Don't think you can run away from me."