New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Blood Runs in the Family commentary question.

The Giant mentioned, in two different sections, at least two characters having or growing in "agency." I have not encountered that word used in this way, and I think a person explaining it might yield a better explanation than a simple Google search. Any takers?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Blood Runs in the Family commentary question.

"Agency" can often be used where "free will" is. There are slight differences, especially when one gets to philosophical discussions [which for obvious reasons I ain't touching with a ten foot pole here ] but that's more or less the upshot.

Agency also has strong overtones, at least as I understand it, of autonomy. Especially in literary situations. So when someone speaks of having "agency" they are speaking of someone actively controlling their own decisions and fates and not just letting others order them about with no say so in the matter. Or, at worst, being a glorified automaton with no independent thought, drive, or motivation.

Getting into specifics, and without having read the commentary yet, Blackwing is easily one of them. One of the subplots of BRitF was, IMO, him becoming an actual character as opposed to being a glorified joke/class feature with no will, consciousness, or motivation of his own.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-01-07 at 12:26 AM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos View Post
    "Agency" can often be used where "free will" is. There are slight differences, especially when one gets to philosophical discussions [which for obvious reasons I ain't touching with a ten foot pole here ] but that's more or less the upshot.

Agency also has strong overtones, at least as I understand it, of automomy. Especially in literary situations. So when someone speaks of having "agency" they are speaking of someone actively controlling their own decisions and fates and not just letting others order them about with no say so in the matter. Or, at worst, being a glorified automaton with no independent thought, drive, or motivation.

Getting into specifics, and without having read the commentary yet, Blackwing is easily one of them. One of the subplots of BRitF was, IMO, him becoming an actual character as opposed to being a glorified joke/class feature with no will, consciousness, or motivation of his own.
    That makes perfect sense, and everything now fits. I will neither confirm nor deny Blackwing as being called out so as to preserve the surprise, but that was a great example. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That makes perfect sense, and everything now fits.
    Glad to be of service!
    I will neither confirm nor deny Blackwing as being called out so as to preserve the surprise, but that was a great example. Thanks!
    At least you didn't say "You might very well say that; I couldn't possibly comment", so thanks for that.

Though, you have gotten me thinking a bit. Given one of the themes of one of the characters of BRitF, who shall go nameless here, I have a decent suspicion on who one of the characters might, just might, be.

I should find out within 48 hours.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-01-07 at 12:37 AM.

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

5. - Top - End - #5

At least you didn't say "You might very well say that; I couldn't possibly comment", so thanks for that.
    And now I'm all intrigued and want to check that out, because he sounds awesome. Would you recommend the novels or series?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The Giant mentioned, in two different sections, at least two characters having or growing in "agency." I have not encountered that word used in this way, and I think a person explaining it might yield a better explanation than a simple Google search. Any takers?
    As it turns out, the instance I was thinking of for the concept even uses the word "agency":
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I've never killed a developed character where that character's death wasn't a direct result of their own choices.
    Is this a coincidence or did you sit down and say "all character's must die by their choices".
    I think it's pretty much Storytelling 101, actually. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's how I see it. If the character isn't important enough to die through their own agency, even indirectly, then they're not important enough to learn much about in the first place.
    Emphasis mine.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    As it turns out, the instance I was thinking of for the concept even uses the word "agency":Emphasis mine.
    Amusingly, that line was in the book almost verbatim. That's part of what got me hung up on it; context clues let me make an educated guess, but it didn't fit quite right with the other uses.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

And now I'm all intrigued and want to check that out, because he sounds awesome. Would you recommend the novels or series?
    Never read the novels, but I can unreservedly and without hesitation recommend the UK series if you at all like Shakesperian type drama/thrillers. Especially the first series, as it is near perfection. As I understand it, the US version of the series is just as good, just in different ways (mostly due to reasons of pace and setting). I haven't seen as much of the US version as I have of the UK one, mind. But both are very very good in their own ways.

It helps to be a bit of a political junkie. But it isn't necessary, I feel.

Amusingly, that line was in the book almost verbatim. That's part of what got me hung up on it; context clues let me make an educated guess, but it didn't fit quite right with the other uses.
    Hmmmm..... Guess getting stronger.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-01-07 at 01:15 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I've read this thread 3 times and can't for the life of me figure out what series you're talking about!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I've read this thread 3 times and can't for the life of me figure out what series you're talking about!
    Hint: I literally highlighted the phrase, "You might very well say that; I couldn't possibly comment," and copy/pasted into the googles.

House of Cards. I'm assuming the Netflix series is a U.S. adaptation, like what happened with The Office (and to a much lesser extent, The IT Crowd. That show was so perfect, too....).

Hmmmm..... Guess getting stronger.
    You might very well say that; I couldn't possibly comment. OH COME ON. You know I had to!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2015-01-07 at 01:29 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Hint: I literally highlighted the phrase, "You might very well say that; I couldn't possibly comment," and copy/pasted into the googles.

House of Cards. I'm assuming the Netflix series is a U.S. adaptation, like what happened with The Office (and to a much lesser extent, The IT Crowd. That show was so perfect, too....).

You might very well say that; I couldn't possibly comment. OH COME ON. You know I had to!
    Yes, the series we are talking about is House of Cards, which was originally a book, then adapted into a massively well received British miniseries and then followed by two more books and miniseries.

A couple of years ago, Netflix got the rights and started to make a US version of the show, which is still ongoing.

Both series can be found on Amazon and Netflix, IIRC.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-01-07 at 01:44 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I've heard a lot of good things about this series, but I'm not really into political drama stuff so I never got into it.

But for awhile I was just wondering what I was missing. You quoted him, then started talking about some series that he never mentioned! But I get the reference now, thanks.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No fair, Peelee! My book hasn't arrived yet! How can I comment intelligently on your thread? Wait until this weekend (hopefully) and I'll check back in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    No fair, Peelee! My book hasn't arrived yet! How can I comment intelligently on your thread? Wait until this weekend (hopefully) and I'll check back in.
    How sad would you feel if I were to reveal Porthos had not yet received the book either when he came in and pretty much delivered the prefect answer?

15. - Top - End - #15

AssassinGuy

How sad would you feel if I were to reveal Porthos had not yet received the book either when he came in and pretty much delivered the prefect answer?

Aw, man!!!
    Namer Of MitD Threads

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post

Aw, man!!!
    Sorry.

If it's any help....

Spoiler
    Show
    My guesses for who the people were the subject of the agency talk....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Were Oh For Three.

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

I feel much better now, having read the whole thread; also given that I only made 2 guesses, which were pretty much dead on.

I believe "agency" in this context comes down to being an agent of one's own fate, rather than a passive participant in someone else's plans.
    Spoiler: Bloody Spoiler
    Show
    Elan, of course, is the one who grows the most in his agency during this book; ironically, though, he does so by choosing to continue following Roy, rather than accepting Tarquin's idea of being "his own man" and leading a party for himself. So Elan's agency partly involves rejecting ultimate free agency. Then we have Redcloak, who makes clear that he is only in the minion role as long as it suits him; at least, that's his plan. What Xykon will make of it is yet to be seen.
    Namer Of MitD Threads