New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Game II: 2 Quest, 2 Curious

Heck, it might even be cool for players to decide on specific events from more than a hundred years ago that impacted one or more countries a lot and RP it out. Or at least, RP out the common form of the story told nowadays.

By the way, I have asked many of you what you would like to see in Empire technology- or magic-wise. I figured I'd ask that privately, and will ask those I haven't yet later as well (if I haven't yet, you're also free to just send it to me via Skype or PM, or tell it out in the open if you don't mind). I wanted to discuss what people don't want to see now in this thread, so everyone can know the opinion of the others on that subject.

Of course, this subject has several levels to it:
    1. The player's own country and rulers.
    2. The world as a whole. This is different from point #1, because the player obviously can't control what others put into the game.
    3. Things the player ABSOLUTELY doesn't want to see, period, quitting the moment it comes into the game.

I mean, I've already determined some things to come into the game if the players progress in that direction and have some mechanics on stand-by for those things, but most of that is prettymuch optional.

The difference between the various points should be kept in mind, as the differences are very important. After all, nobody but the player themselves can control what they put into their country and what they do with their ruling family, which makes a big difference between #1 and #2. Players may have very different opinions on what kind of technology or magic they want to go for, and though ways in which technology can spread is limited (and magic will be even moreso), they will keep advancing, however fast or slow the players may make it.

This isn't just about technology and magic, however. This is about anything and everything that could happen and be put into the game.

For that reason, and because I hope players won't feel hurt in their personal beliefs by anything others create, I wished to start up such a discussion before it could create issues--even if said issues only would really come into play months down the line.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Okay then.

Thread's up!
    Yay! Oh wait... I can't read it. Boo! Have fun guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    I just had an idea, another world building project, along the lines of the Radjuric Codex and the Scrolls of Prowess. This one, known as the Codex of History, is one where you can write up any history or culture of your nation that wasn't in the OP. Before I post a thread, I want to see if there is any interest in it.
    When I PMed Zabbarot that's more or less what the Radurjic Codex is. Unfortunately, I couldn't see any good story reasons to write more than a paragraph or two there.

It would be easier for Tekorva to write from its own perspective. Tekorva's not the best at dealing with strangers after all. I still may not participate though because I'm a little busy right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    @QuintonBeck Yes, but seeing as no one has done it yet in the past five weeks, I thought I would try to drum up support now and make a project out of it.
    A history section for events within the game? I... I know I'm not a human, but that doesn't mean I'm not a someone...

EDIT - Needed to clarify a thing.
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-02-18 at 06:20 PM.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

3. - Top - End - #603
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    You are missing one last Good resource and an Import Necessity. You also cannot start with any military units.

It's pretty bare-bones. I presume you'll work it out throughout the game?
    I'll fix that now. Thank you.

The Orcs are coming, the Orcs are coming.
    The Orcs are here to play.

Sir Rikkan
    https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2346021

4. - Top - End - #604
    Bugbear in the Playground

Arkhosia, would you be interested in doing a history of the coming of the pre-Razdissi dwarves to Eyrecradia with me? It'd be best to collaborate on something like this, PM me if you're interested.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

5. - Top - End - #605
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I have fixed what was missing. On imports as the one I have listed do I need to find some one that has it for trade?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=510

Sir Rikkan

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Yay! Oh wait... I can't read it. Boo! Have fun guys.
    Actually, I believe that I explicitly pointed out that the conference is semi-public. It's not like that one time Andrew Jackson opened the White House to anyone who wanted to show up, but there are plenty of courtiers and servants and guards present to overhear things, and no real effort is being made to keep people out beyond basic assurances that nobody's bringing too many deadly weapons inside.

Anyway, my point is that the goings-on there are not actually secret unless someone takes it aside into a private room.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Things I wouldn't want to see in Empire!:

I honestly can't think of much... I guess I would rather not see world altering weapons (technological or otherwise)

I personally won't advance my nation technologically much since I just want to be the Pope/Dalai Lama
    Quote Originally Posted by lt_murgen View Post
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zabbarot View Post
    Things I wouldn't want to see in Empire!:

I honestly can't think of much... I guess I would rather not see world altering weapons (technological or otherwise)

I personally won't advance my nation technologically much since I just want to be the Pope/Dalai Lama
    I said this to Morph already, but I figured I would share:
    I don't want gunpowder weapons more advanced than cannons, so no muskets please.
    I don't want non-combat technology more advanced than the printing press.
    I don't want magic to be more advanced than about 5th or 6th level spells in D&D.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Discord: Spacecamp-Logic-Yako
    Former Avatar by Ceika, which I have long since lost a copy of.

9. - Top - End - #609

Things I'd like to see:
    Some form of space or planar travel. New worlds, new horizons. If only so I can persuade Morph to use one of the cool terraformed maps of Mars and the other planets I found .
    Things that would cause me to explode catastrophically if included:
    Eh, nothing really. I suppose world-destroying weapons, but only if we don't have space travel yet. Alderaan ftw! Even then, it might be cool to play on a world made up of shattered pieces. Also, I'd rather that technology advancement kept to a slow pace. No plate armour one turn then nukes the next.

Edit: basically what Logic said above me.
    Last edited by Silverbit; 2014-02-18 at 07:09 PM.

Show

10. - Top - End - #610
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I don't want gunpowder weapons more advanced than cannons, so no muskets please.
    I don't want magic to be more advanced than about 5th or 6th level spells in D&D.
    I sort of considered us to be something like 10th-12th century currently.

I personally would be fine with higher level technology as long as it comes at a reasonable pace. I don't think anyone should be introducing steam power for another 500-800 in game years for example.
    Exploratory expeditions expeditiously expediting exploration would be epicurially equipped.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I sort of considered us to be something like 10th-12th century currently.

I personally would be fine with higher level technology as long as it comes at a reasonable pace. I don't think anyone should be introducing steam power for another 500-800 in game years for example.
    I know I haven't even started playing yet,but I'm with you on this one. I'd like to see some necromancy. A cult of undeath that may unleash walking corpses upon the world....

Sir Rikkan

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Actually, I believe that I explicitly pointed out that the conference is semi-public.
    Ah thanks. Sorry, I'd missed that detail somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Is this indefinitely or only for now? I do want to spend a lot of time in an awesome fantasy setting but I joined the game because it had the ability to progress. If we're stuck in medieval times, I don't think I'd mind quite so much, but it's not what I originally joined the game to do either.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerofundead View Post
    I know I haven't even started playing yet,but I'm with you on this one. I'd like to see some necromancy. A cult of undeath that may unleash walking corpses upon the world....
    Necromancy, huh? Classic.

EDIT - If anyone was curious, QuintonBeck's paragraph on the power of magic is very much in line with my opinion also.

QuintonBeck worded it much better than I could. 「I'm bad at explaining/describing things most of the time.」
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-02-18 at 08:41 PM.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Troll in the Playground

I wouldn't want us to stay in a medieval fantasy setting forever, but I agree with the sentiment that technology should move slowly. It's hard not to want to advance things with our 21st century knowledge of the way things work, but I think things should be taken slowly. 800 years to steam power? So, 40 rounds from now? Maybe not that long, but 400 years or so I'd be fine with. I don't expect to see the space age until after a few real world years at least (If, as I hope it does, this lasts that long)

As for magic, I'd like if it remained the purview of a select few and was no easy task and only did big things very occasionally. Like, practitioners of magic should have to devote their lives to its study and doing anything of any magnitude should take a collective of them working for weeks, or months, or even years to get stuff done. A sizable fireball, comparable to a nuke, can be called down somewhere in the world but it'll take the magic people months of planning and chanting and whatever else to get it to go off all of which can be interrupted or thrown off and cancel out the whole thing. A mage wouldn't be able to throw around force walls and shoot lightning from the tips of his fingers at will. In fact, a lone mage would be pretty much a non-threat. He might might be able to levitate and move small things around without much effort and other small tricks but anything beyond that isn't doable without collaboration or a deep understanding, and time.
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2014-02-18 at 08:11 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

Sweet! Population increase!

Also, echoing everyone else, I'd prefer it if technology advanced at a slower pace. Yes, I plan on introducing the printing press very shortly, but I want it to be at least a couple of hundred years before I begin my technological revolution, preferably longer.
    As for magic, I agree with QuintonBeck. It should remain a mysterious force, the slow study of a few. Capable of great works and widespread devastation, if you give the wizards the time needed to accomplish it. Personally, I'd like wizards/mages/sorcerers/druids/whatever to be slightly more powerful on their own, but not beyond the level where being outnumbered means nothing to them. Sure, they might be able to blast people with lightning, but that means nothing if the person you target has a friend who stabs you before you can recharge.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey folks. My computer rather suddenly went and crashed last week. I am just getting it back in working order now. I appologize for my sudden absence, and I'll just need another day or so to get all caught up in the threads.
    ATTENTION ANYONE WHO I'M PLAYING WITH:
    No news is good news.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ogre in the Playground

As for me, I do think the magic levels Elemental has described is something I could live with but I would prefer it to come at very great personal cost unless it is something really very minor or simply a minor supernatural ability at a similarly heavy cost. By supernatural ability I do not mean free fireballs for everyone once per day.

Quote Originally Posted by THEChanger View Post
    Hey folks. My computer rather suddenly went and crashed last week. I am just getting it back in working order now. I appologize for my sudden absence, and I'll just need another day or so to get all caught up in the threads.
    I'm very happy you have returned!

Just to save you from reading all of my rubbish the only things that may be of concern from me is the discovery of copper and zinc mines in Tekorva 「our new cur5 export is the alloy Brass」. Also, Kaaba Orkin who your Naomh met passed away at a very old age. I admit I am very long-winded.

I hope your computer problems are finished.

EDIT - Typo
    Last edited by Rain Dragon; 2014-02-18 at 10:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ettin in the Playground

I just really want Necromancy and enchanted weaponry. I'd like to build Sympolemou with less of a technological focus, and more of a magic/alchemical focus anyway.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2014-02-18 at 10:21 PM.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    I just really want Necromancy and enchanted weaponry. I'd like to build Sympolemou with less of a technological focus, and more of a magic/alchemical focus anyway.
    That sounds really close to the WHF Skaven to me, but with your own spin. I like that.

I was thinking of having supernatural/magical alternatives to technology in the Dark Ages of Technology. Except for the Cult of Engineering. So my empire will likely to have magitech on the way to Space.

...if I survive of course. I shall forge my way into the History of Telluris!

19. - Top - End - #619
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

You do not have to feed or pay a reanimated corps. Yes they may fall apart but free labor is free labor. Imagine traps around your castle walls that hold such horrors of the flesh eating type... And the mental damage that would be done to your foe as he watches his comrade torn to pieces by this corpses.
    Last edited by Slayerofundead; 2014-02-18 at 10:57 PM.

Sir Rikkan

20. - Top - End - #620

My preference lies in a high magic, mystical setting. Wizards are not reality bending powerfull, but can take on a few people (10 or so) by themselves and perform very powerfull stuff when working together. It is still a mysterious force, wild and unknown and can backfire at any time, without any warning if you do not treat it with the respect it deserves.

I will likely drop out as soon as the technology level and the style of play resembles the modern day, except if I can find a way to keep my mystical style of play and not run behind those with very advanced techs.
    A swordmaster never backs off, I'll cut you to ribbons with my almighty sabre! CHAOS DANCE!!

Nyllana OotS Avatar by Lord FullBladder, Master of Goblins!

Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing to see here
    My Extended Homebrew Sig!

Currently writing a fantasy novel: The Dawn of Life!
    People willing to provide feedback are appreciated

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Officially, I will adapt to anything. I have the storyline for my nation planned out in my head, so I can adapt to anything.

But here are a few ideas that I really like, from a flavor perspective:

A) There is no "magic". But with the Lord of Fire taking an active interest in this world again, other spiritual entities begin gifting their most devoted followers with unique abilities, based on their religion. In game terms, that allows morph to reward high faith regions while remaining in control of the pace and implementation.

B) THe ruler of their lands gain some special connection to their domain. It allows them to take 1 action a year that they couldn't normally do. For example, The King of the Jeweled Cities can, with an action, create a fog bank of confusion around the islands, blocking any attacking force. Or the dwarf kingdom could do the same be magically sealing the entraces. Call this the Birthright idea. From the Ad&D Birthright campaign setting where the turns were in months and you played the ruler of a realm. As the ruler, you had access to realm magic. It could be a new stat, and Morph could then list effects by stat.

C) A mighty omen was seen in the sky. A comet entered the atmosphere and exploded, scattering shards across the realm. Those in possession of a shard found themselves able to do things undreamed of by normal men. THis is the easter-egg hunt concept. Leaders will move mountains to obtain these mystical shards from each other. This allows Morph to control who starts with what, and what the number of shards you have allow you to do. It also allows each of us to 'introduce' new rulers- maybe some peasant who found a big rock and found themselves able to sway the hearts of men....
    Last edited by lt_murgen; 2014-02-19 at 08:42 AM.

22. - Top - End - #622

C) A mighty omen was seen in the sky. A comet entered the atmosphere and exploded, scattering shards across the realm. Those in possession of a shard found themselves able to do things undreamed of by normal men. THis is the easter-egg hunt concept. Leaders will move mountains to obtain these mystical shards from each other. This allows Morph to control who starts with what, and what the number of shards you have allow you to do. It also allows each of us to 'introduce' new rulers- maybe some peasant who found a big rock and found themselves able to sway the hearts of men....
    This is really interesting, especially that last bit. It's kind of how magic seems to work anyway, what with the blue stones and stuff.

Show

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ettin in the Playground

Well folks! Looks like from the latest news anouncement that the server will be going down for a "few days" sometime between now and March 31st. On top of that, it appears that they will be changing the format of tables (my specialty) soon, which both excites me, and makes me go - . Still, they'll be at least announcing when the shutdown will occur, so we can plan for this when it comes, and once I play around with the new table format afterwards, things should get up and running on my side.

On the plus, they have a search and finder that will make tables not POOF completely, so I don't need to back them up.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ogre in the Playground

B) THe ruler of their lands gain some special connection to their domain. It allows them to take 1 action a year that they couldn't normally do. For example, The King of the Jeweled Cities can, with an action, create a fog bank of confusion around the islands, blocking any attacking force. Or the dwarf kingdom could do the same be magically sealing the entraces. Call this the Birthright idea. From the Ad&D Birthright campaign setting where the turns were in months and you played the ruler of a realm. As the ruler, you had access to realm magic. It could be a new stat, and Morph could then list effects by stat.
    This mostly just made me think of the Fisher King. I like the idea, but I feel there should be a set up for it. Like a quest or something to properly establish the link.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Is this indefinitely or only for now? I do want to spend a lot of time in an awesome fantasy setting but I joined the game because it had the ability to progress. If we're stuck in medieval times, I don't think I'd mind quite so much, but it's not what I originally joined the game to do either.
    As of right now, that is where my opinion lies. As the game progresses, my opinion could change. (I am playing quite a bit of Sid Meyer's Civilization recently.)
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

@Wombat, I am interested in your bestiary. I would love to write up the ridiculous animals that live in the jungles and mangroves of Genivana.

@Logic, did the humblebundle snatch you up or were you already playing?

27. - Top - End - #627
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

On the note of enchanted weapons. What if each dynasty had one of this weapons? The ruler would pass it down to the next. A symbol of there status. Maybe you would have to reach a certain level Of military and curiosity to forge one.

Sir Rikkan

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

@Wombat, I am interested in your bestiary. I would love to write up the ridiculous animals that live in the jungles and mangroves of Genivana.

@Logic, did the humblebundle snatch you up or were you already playing?
    Spoiler: Divergent conversation: Sid Meyer's Civilization
    Show
    I got Civ 5 on sale from the Gamestop app that is supposed to compete with Steam (HA!), for $5.88 USD a year or two ago. I only recently started playing it though, and purchased all the DLC in the last month. No sales or specials on those.

For the next round, Celero WILL be hosting the First World's fair, in the capital of Lancaster. Invitations are sent out to all the world leaders as such:

Spoiler: A very formal letter
    Show
    To the leaders of nations, men, and armies;
    King Andust the Bold, House Noth, Quencher of Fire bids you all greetings.
    It is on this day, 3rd day of the 9th month of the year 358 that The Kingdom of Celero would like to invite you and your best scientists and sages to a World's Fair, in the fair Celerese Capital of Lancaster.
    This event will be held in the newly finished Great Library of Lancaster, in the Summer of 356.

A retinue of guards for each leader is expected, so please reply to ensure alternate arrangements if your party shall exceed 50 persons, or you need additional or special accommodations.

In peace, friendship, and the pursuit of knowledge,
    King Andust the Bold, House Noth, Quencher of Fire
    Penned by his own hand.
    Last edited by Logic; 2014-02-25 at 11:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #629
    Ogre in the Playground

On a semi-related note, which regions have martial academies or academies of learning?

One of Jonas' side goals is to find some kind of academy to ship his 20-something girls off to, preferrably seperately. After sneaking off to the games, he needs to do something with his wild child(s).

I'm hoping I can work something out during the Inner Sea Conference.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ogre in the Playground

On a semi-related note, which regions have martial academies or academies of learning?

One of Jonas' side goals is to find some kind of academy to ship his 20-something girls off to, preferrably seperately. After sneaking off to the games, he needs to do something with his wild child(s).

I'm hoping I can work something out during the Inner Sea Conference.
    Celero has such an academy, on what it calls Unther Island.
    Spoiler
    Show