New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1474
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: EMPIRE! A Community World-Building Game II: 2 Quest, 2 Curious

Quote Originally Posted by HisHolyAngel View Post
    Fascinating. It's really cool seeing two different sides made out to be the villain, and both, by themselves, sound totally reasonable and believable accusations.
    I believe your thoughts could be, to quote the one and only Grand Magus, summed up as:"Interesting."

Also, Quinton, relax. This is a game. I'm a "big bad traitor", we get it, and it was all levels of bad and surprise and annoying because it came from left field. That's kind of the point, it wouldn't be much of "secrecy" or "spying" if I was upfront and direct about it. But we have had several, IC, private messages regarding these attacks. The IC thread is not the OOC thread, or vice versa. I do not hold some malicious and nefarious hatred of you and all you stand for. I'm just playing a game, a game with giant talking ratmen, faerie mermaids, naked painted people flying on fire birds, and a guy who goes by the unofficial title "DoomKhan". This is not the real world, this is not personal, this is not anything but a bit of fun and escapism set in the mechanical boundaries of Morph's system. A system that, and I quote, even says it is a game involved with:"strategic elements, secretive scheming, and both cooperation and vehement competition between players at times".

Just relax.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    I believe your thoughts could be, to quote the one and only Grand Magus, summed up as:"Interesting."

Also, Quinton, relax. This is a game. I'm a "big bad traitor", we get it, and it was all levels of bad and surprise and annoying because it came from left field. That's kind of the point, it wouldn't be much of "secrecy" or "spying" if I was upfront and direct about it. But we have had several, IC, private messages regarding these attacks. The IC thread is not the OOC thread, or vice versa. I do not hold some malicious and nefarious hatred of you and all you stand for. I'm just playing a game, a game with giant talking ratmen, faerie mermaids, naked painted people flying on fire birds, and a guy who goes by the unofficial title "DoomKhan". This is not the real world, this is not personal, this is not anything but a bit of fun and escapism set in the mechanical boundaries of Morph's system. A system that, and I quote, even says it is a game involved with:"strategic elements, secretive scheming, and both cooperation and vehement competition between players at times".

Just relax.
    You're right, it is a game, and I'm not taking it personal. I guess as much as I try I just can't get over my moral code. Even when I try to be the villain, I try to be up front and honest about it. Being sneaky and snakey and betraying an ally just doesn't sit right with me, especially when the IC reasons for it are...shaky at best. It makes perfect sense OOC but practically none IC. That's what gets me heated. If it was all IC maneuvers I'd appreciate it, but it seems pretty OOC based with IC coming secondary. That's now how I play RP games, I try to stay respectful to my characters and that means sometimes not doing the smartest OOC thing because it wouldn't make sense IC. You seem to be playing an OOC meta-game, and making good moves don't get me wrong, but it simply doesn't match IC at all. At least not in my eyes.

Still, I'd like a number from you UN, I won't bow out until I have to, but I won't be coming back if I do fall.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    You're right, it is a game, and I'm not taking it personal. I guess as much as I try I just can't get over my moral code. Even when I try to be the villain, I try to be up front and honest about it. Being sneaky and snakey and betraying an ally just doesn't sit right with me, especially when the IC reasons for it are...shaky at best. It makes perfect sense OOC but practically none IC. That's what gets me heated. If it was all IC maneuvers I'd appreciate it, but it seems pretty OOC based with IC coming secondary. That's now how I play RP games, I try to stay respectful to my characters and that means sometimes not doing the smartest OOC thing because it wouldn't make sense IC. You seem to be playing an OOC meta-game, and making good moves don't get me wrong, but it simply doesn't match IC at all. At least not in my eyes.

Still, I'd like a number from you UN, I won't bow out until I have to, but I won't be coming back if I do fall.
    I don't personally see any of it as OOC. Just because his characters didn't do there actions right in front of your nose for you to see, does not mean that their metagaming. Just like a nation can meet with another in secret, they (I suspect) had totally IC interaction across PM and other sources that would not be noticed by you.

Now I realize that I am very removed from this situation, and am not in alignment with either side, and that my opinion could easily be very uninformed, I still felt the need to throw my two cents in.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Troll in the Playground

You guys are all right, I was getting angry unjustly. I hope you don't hold it against me. I'm calming down now. It's a game, I'm gonna play the game. If I lose, so be it, but I'm gonna try my darndest not to. I hope y'all understand why I was angry and anger makes you say stupid things, but I'm not gonna edit any of it away and try to hide it. I said it, I'll stand by having done so. I'm sorry everyone for losing my cool. Wait til you get attacked, it isn't fun haha

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ettin in the Playground

I do remember you once saying something about the UN making you out to he the villain, and how you wanted a real hero to fight, not some posturing knight. So there you go, less of a Paladin and more of a Rogue.

To be honest you remind me of one of my close friends IRL. He plays Black Templars and pretty much does the exact same thing you're saying (Which makes me wanting to run a Black Crusade campaign IRL exceptionally difficult. Only further hindered by another player wanting to be an Ork, another player just being a wierd ditzy guy who forgets half of his own character sheet, and another player who wants to be a Necron Cryptek ) with him always playing as either the "Noble Holy Man Justicedudeknight" or "Honorable Demon Evildudeknight".

Either way, I can respect your opinion on the validity of my actions, and recognize how you feel in regards to it. I apologize for how unstable and chaotic things have become this round, but hey;

Chaos is a ladder.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Dwarf in the Playground

It is a game. So play it, not the rules. Sure, OOC you can plot and the with no warning invade. It doesent say you can't. Sure, you can atack someone for no real reason, the rules don't say you can't. Sure, if you take the chicken infested flaw and a spell component pouch, you can make infinite chickens, the rules don't say you can't.

Sure, you can do things which make no sense in fluff, but are just within the rules.
    But is that fun? Is this a game you play to win? Or one to spend time with other people, and, dare I say it, tell a story? This is not Risk. This is not Civ 5. This is world building. This is a game for the story, the fluff, the co-creation. I now have psy-dwarves. How do they interact with the Ratmen or the doom khan. I want to find out. Do you? Cause that's kind of the point.
    [\rant]
    Well, I'm staying for the long haul. Lookin to be a... Fun ride.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Troll in the Playground

I do remember you once saying something about the UN making you out to he the villain, and how you wanted a real hero to fight, not some posturing knight. So there you go, less of a Paladin and more of a Rogue.

To be honest you remind me of one of my close friends IRL. He plays Black Templars and pretty much does the exact same thing you're saying (Which makes me wanting to run a Black Crusade campaign IRL exceptionally difficult. Only further hindered by another player wanting to be an Ork, another player just being a wierd ditzy guy who forgets half of his own character sheet, and another player who wants to be a Necron Cryptek ) with him always playing as either the "Noble Holy Man Justicedudeknight" or "Honorable Demon Evildudeknight".

Either way, I can respect your opinion on the validity of my actions, and recognize how you feel in regards to it. I apologize for how unstable and chaotic things have become this round, but hey;

Chaos is a ladder.
    Don't you dare quote that worm Baelish at me! He's one of my most hated GoT characters!

Seriously guys, I'm sorry for my explosion. You guys are right that not everything has to be laid out, and while I still feel some dramatic rise was in order instead of just a sudden strike that's probably my story teller taking over, meaning I'd make a terrible guerrilla commander.

Funny how anger burns so bright and quick. I seriously am smiling where ten minutes ago I was furious. The human psyche is a strange thing.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Orc in the Playground

You guys are all right, I was getting angry unjustly. I hope you don't hold it against me. I'm calming down now. It's a game, I'm gonna play the game. If I lose, so be it, but I'm gonna try my darndest not to. I hope y'all understand why I was angry and anger makes you say stupid things, but I'm not gonna edit any of it away and try to hide it. I said it, I'll stand by having done so. I'm sorry everyone for losing my cool. Wait til you get attacked, it isn't fun haha
    I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't find your anger unreasonable. I'd be upset if someone attacked Sycia, especially since I just started (thank you all for being so nice to me even though I plan to either convert you all in the future, or leave you to freeze in the Eternal Winter). I wasn't trying to chastise you for getting angry, just trying to cool you off with some reason. It's alway fair for people to get upset, that's why we have people to calm us down again. ^_^

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know about anyone else, but I certainly don't find your anger unreasonable. I'd be upset if someone attacked Sycia, especially since I just started (thank you all for being so nice to me even though I plan to either convert you all in the future, or leave you to freeze in the Eternal Winter). I wasn't trying to chastise you for getting angry, just trying to cool you off with some reason. It's alway fair for people to get upset, that's why we have people to calm us down again. ^_^
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Troll in the Playground

Militias take effect the round they're raised right? That's the whole reason behind them?

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    You're the worst.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait til you get attacked, it isn't fun haha
    After the past two days? I got myself a contingency plan.
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel like you were looking for this, somehow.

Also, I believe all actions happen the round after. The militia section, if memory serves me right, even has a section dedicated to reactionary Militia, in that a player only gets half of them if he raises them the turn he's invaded. I think the idea is that Militia's can be continually maintained with a single action, while armies require more actions over a longer period of time to maintain. Militias as a result provide a lesser bonus and are more easily effected.

@GoT: I don't actually watch the series. Snow Zombie guys, a giant wall, some Black Watch guys, the cool throne, and wolves are the only defacto things I know. Everything else is limited to popular quotes or scenes, such as the famous "Prepare yourself, X is coming."
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Troll in the Playground

I feel like you were looking for this, somehow.

Also, I believe all actions happen the round after. The militia section, if memory serves me right, even has a section dedicated to reactionary Militia, in that a player only gets half of them if he raises them the turn he's invaded. I think the idea is that Militia's can be continually maintained with a single action, while armies require more actions over a longer period of time to maintain. Militias as a result provide a lesser bonus and are more easily effected.

@GoT: I don't actually watch the series. Snow Zombie guys, a giant wall, some Black Watch guys, the cool throne, and wolves are the only defacto things I know. Everything else is limited to popular quotes or scenes, such as the famous "Prepare yourself, X is coming."
    I know that's generally the case but I was thinking the militia is kinda worse than just raising army units. I see now you can use one action to raise all available militia though, so I guess that's the benefit of it. Guess it looks like they kick in a round later like everything.

You should watch the series. It's a really good show. Like, really good.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1395
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    Um. Yes...? Did you not read their marriage customs for royalty, wherein the high priest marries a bunch of people and then kills each one as soon as they have a child?

I mean, in fairness to them, they might not have a religious reason, it might just be institutionalized serial murder for political reasons, but I don't think that really makes it better...

And that's the rub, though; if I'm a vassal, I wouldn't be a member of the GC, but I would have to treat members of the GC as though I were, at least by my understanding of the term.

I'd be retaining either not enough autonomy or too much, since I wouldn't actually be part of Guilder and thus assumed to be included in your alliances, but I wouldn't be allowed to fight any GC members who got it into their head to shove me around or affected by the restrictions on what people could do to me that the treaties include.

Besides, preexisting alliances would take precedence - meaning that Calorum could just insist that I go full-on Lord of Fire if I'm to be allowed to retain autonomy, in which case, it would all be done before I'd be your vassal anyway, so it wouldn't even be a corner case.

(Admittedly, I don't actually know this, but... Still. It's what I'd do if I were playing them, for IC reasons.)
    Woah. I was unaware of that stuff.. I read less fluff than most. Thank you *VERY* much for bringing that to my attention, as I will be talking to the appropriate parties.

As to your religious conversion, that would not happen. At one point, Arutha requested the ability to convert select nations who were willing to Fire Nation, but that request was denied on the grounds of religious freedom.

Guess you can't say that any more, mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Burch View Post
    Ahem. I would like to direct everyone's attention to the IC thread please.
    Duly noted! I'm really liking the speeches everyone's writing... I think we all went a little overboard (Myself most certianly included ), but they sound like actual wartime propaganda.

Fascinating. It's really cool seeing two different sides made out to be the villain, and both, by themselves, sound totally reasonable and believable accusations.
    You are *TOTALLY* right... I should be taking notes on mass psychology or something.

I'm seriously contemplating quitting. I mean, ganging up on a bunch of active players with people who IC have had absolutely 0 interaction is all kinds of infuriating. When has the Union talked to Sympol and such and coordinated actions? Never, they've not had any interaction at all, but of course now we're to believe they were the best of pals seeking to coordinate military strikes.

Again, I'd at least appreciate a number from the Union. You're attacking me in peace time with my new ruler who wasn't focusing on military at all so I think that's a decent courtesy you could offer me.

EDIT: Continued ranting: Seriously, you guys whined and complained when I invaded and if you'd stepped in then I would have respected you, but coming in 5 years later (15 with Aloren) against a ruler who has done nothing to you is the pinnacle of cowardice and the weakest excuse for a war ever. I suppose you plan to hand the land I conquered back over to its rightful rulers and step away then? I should hope so, lest you become evil conquerors yourselves.
    Bro, I support you to the hilt as an ally, but even if we get ourselves kicked, strategy/trickery/sabotage or not, I'm not quitting this game. I'll just start again.. maybe this time I'll make a factory nation for the Dawn League or something. That'd be fun!

I don't personally see any of it as OOC. Just because his characters didn't do there actions right in front of your nose for you to see, does not mean that their metagaming. Just like a nation can meet with another in secret, they (I suspect) had totally IC interaction across PM and other sources that would not be noticed by you.

Now I realize that I am very removed from this situation, and am not in alignment with either side, and that my opinion could easily be very uninformed, I still felt the need to throw my two cents in.
    Agreeing with HHA. My problem with the situation is not their "Metagaming", but rather their propaganda and trying to slander the Doge... I like the little guy, gosh-darnit!

You're the worst.
    I have no idea what happened, but I suspect I would laugh?

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    Heckayeah. I'm working on my own. It involves bribing Morph... what's yours?
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Orc in the Playground

My contingency plan involves the converting the spiritual leaders of the Lord of Fire to the Doctrine of Frost, and calling down a miracle from Yphine as she plunges the world into the Eternal Winter, ridding myself of those who wish to bring me harm as we and our new converts live out our days in the Paradise.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Dwarf in the Playground

My contingency plan involves the converting the spiritual leaders of the Lord of Fire to the Doctrine of Frost, and calling down a miracle from Yphine as she plunges the world into the Eternal Winter, ridding myself of those who wish to bring me harm as we and our new converts live out our days in the Paradise.
    That's.... A plan.... Sort of.... Have fun with that.... But it is a.... Cool plan

Mine is go into space and pull a suul'ka. That might be fun.

18. - Top - End - #1398
    Ettin in the Playground

My plan is less of a plan and more of a backup nation.

Namely an Island nation of Pirates, Raiders, and layabouts who do nothing but drink beer and sit around on their island. They'd hold Oktoberfest every 5 Years, invent multiple forms of alcohol, and also be heavily dipped in Les Miserables for the first leader or two.

Also they're irish and wear eye patches. (And when I say Irish, I mean, I will literally run everything they say through an Irish Translator, and make sentences like this:"Well, dat is jist absolutely rapid! Drinks on me!")
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Ettin in the Playground

Namely an Island nation of Pirates, Raiders, and layabouts who do nothing but drink beer and sit around on their island. They'd hold Oktoberfest every 5 Years, invent multiple forms of alcohol, and also be heavily dipped in Les Miserables for the first leader or two.

Also they're irish and wear eye patches. (And when I say Irish, I mean, I will literally run everything they say through an Irish Translator, and make sentences like this:"Well, dat is jist absolutely rapid! Drinks on me!")
    My entire game plan has changed. All troops to conquer Sympol to make this a thing.

Please make this a thing?
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Orc in the Playground

That is not how Irish people speak.

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Ettin in the Playground

That is not how Irish people speak.
    Perhaps not, but I've never met anyone who speaks in an irish accent, and phonetic writing is damned hard enough as is, I'm willing to let myself lose a bit of credibility in exchange for ease of posting.

My entire game plan has changed. All troops to conquer Sympol to make this a thing.

Please make this a thing?
    I'm considering it. Honestly that's basically how I envisioned Sympol's along Rapid Run Beach sounded and looked like. Namely rugged isolated Irish Pirates.
    Last edited by Tychris1; 2014-03-03 at 11:44 PM.
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Troll in the Playground

We're gonna need another thread. I propose Empire: The Return of the Governmental Leader!

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Ogre in the Playground

Heckayeah. I'm working on my own. It involves bribing Morph... what's yours?
    Berunda drone wine delivery in 30 minutes or less, of course!
    Avatar by the wonderful and talented Ceika!
    Playing:

Past Faves: The Blackwood | Raaneka | Cachimba

My DeviantArt.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

Well... This is going well...
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

You should watch the series. It's a really good show. Like, really good.
    Or, y'know, read the books.

/totally not elitist

We're gonna need another thread. I propose Empire: The Return of the Governmental Leader!
    We do need a new title. Any other suggestions/votes for suggestions?

EMPIRE! *The* Game III: Raaneki Drift
    EMPIRE! *The* Game III: Of The People, By The People, For The People
    EMPIRE! *The* Game III: Assassin's 1337
    EMPIRE! *The* Game III: Breaking Dawn League

One of these things is not like the others!
    Figured at this point I might as well leave out "community world-building" as that's pretty obvious here, plus it leaves more subtitle room. Though if the subtitle is short enough, I'll just put the full title in.

While it's on my mind, Morph, is there any reason why you started this game? Is there any plans to use it as a campaign world at all, or just a game you wanted to try out?
    You seem to assume those are mutually exclusive.

Currently, the only plans to use it as a campaign world are for side-adventures that are part of the game. Like how the Doomkhan, Shïnguard, Ashmar High Priest, Ex-Doge and Firelord Volcano King are going all Expendables this round (if any of them reply to my previous question of when they are available). Or the one I had talked with Silverbit about regarding something he thought of a few rounds ago, but there was too little time and not enough mechanical clarity yet for it.

The game originally started as a spin-off of Conquest, a game I was a player in. In Conquest, I introduced Wombat as a player and formed an alliance with him, Logic and some others against QuintonBeck and another player who were invading Logic's country, but it never got off the ground because the game died before we could really get going. 'Tis why I had expected Quinton to invade in Empire as well--playstyles usually stay similar, but even moreso because he never got the chance to finish what he started in Conquest.

As a player, I also introduced action-folding and exploration, two things that have become great components of Empire, as well as starting our alliance thread for easier group communication. Some of my plans sadly fell through because a few of the players wanted to be isolationist--which is crazy in a social game, though for a short bit of time to build up your nation to be less involved is somewhat reasonable and very understandable.

I wanted to recreate that experience and improve upon it, especially as I'm currently applying at the Internation Game Architecture and Design school in Breda, the Netherlands. I wish to study there to become a game designer, because it's one of the two job things I've wanted to do all my life, even though as a child I never knew you could study for it (back then there were no schools, and the IGAD didn't exist when I went for my double major in Philosophy and Psychology at a university here).

In light of this drive for improvement, I decided to give it a more personal element in the form of the players playing rulers and their families, rather than countries. It gives an extra layer, more RP, and gives more flavour and personal involvement to the world-building aspect of the game. I was inspired in the mechanics for that partly by Crusader Kings II, in which you play a ruler and their family, though it is in a fixed setting (Medieval Europe, North Africa and the Middle East), but fluff is easily altered with some creative work. The mechanics are a little harder to flesh out, mainly because the fluff is all left to the players with as little as possible decided by me--except sometimes an NPC, terrain feature, religion or resource--and that is partly why the mechanics are still evolving.

The other reason is that the mechanics we started with were literally shaken out of my sleeve in under an hour.

I really enjoy world-building, as evidenced by my huge world of Ymaggion (sadly incomplete due to procrastination), but doing it with a group of people with the same goal in mind: that of a great world, highly enjoyable and very immersive, that was something I wanted to do even more, because doing something like that together is something I love seeing. It's like working with a great team, though in this case the members of the team are also working against one another at times in light of it being a game, and not just purely world-building. To me, as a GM, the title is very deliberate, as it is a community thing first, world-building second, game third.

You could say you're my guinea pigs to test my mechanical skills in light of my plans for my future, except I've also given you super powers to do whatever you will with.

And I can't wait to see what more will come out of that.

And if anyone ever starts up a game like this, they better invite me, because I so badly want to drive some enemies before me, and hear the lamentation of their goats.

Seriously, I am still amused by so many players having goats.
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2014-03-04 at 05:16 AM.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ogre in the Playground

Due to interest waning, I'm likely at some point leaving or taking a hiatus...

But before that happens, if I lose, Eyrecradia's gonna go out fighting, and make an imprint in the thin metal sheet that is legend!
    Bleargh!

Don't you dare quote that worm Baelish at me! He's one of my most hated GoT characters!
    Baelish is one of my /favourite/ GoT characters!

Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I'm shocked you did not already have one. In fact, I recommend you get a contingency plan for your contingency plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    Or, y'know, read the books.
    EMPIRE! *The* Game III: Assassin's 1337
    I admit I also am biased and enjoyed the books /so/ much more.

I... Also have a vote, though '1337' should be replaced with something else in 1337 I think. Or maybe a war theme. Or knives. Actually, I don't know.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

27. - Top - End - #1407

So, Morph, you were serious when you said 26 has four units of Goats(Great)? Can I at least choose what kind of goats?
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ogre in the Playground

So, Morph, you were serious when you said 26 has four units of Goats(Great)? Can I at least choose what kind of goats?
    Black goats [Great]
    White goats [Great]
    Skinny goats [Great]
    Fat goats [Great]

On a serious note though I remember almost white text in the aforementioned post saying 'just kidding'.
    I go by they/them/their or he/him/his pronouns

29. - Top - End - #1409

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Dragon View Post
    Black goats [Great]
    White goats [Great]
    Skinny goats [Great]
    Fat goats [Great]

On a serious note though I remember almost white text in the aforementioned post saying 'just kidding'.
    Seriously? I need to check for white text on every post at this point. Which is a pain on a tablet. But hey, if you've every read the Inheritance cycle, those Feldnoust (something like that?) are pretty cool, for goats.
    Amazing Jaune Arc avatar made by the talented artist Comissar. Thanks a lot!

Playing as the Kingdom of Gleiss in Empire! 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    A ravenous, numberless horde of immortal, undying goats cursed with unceasing hunger would actually be a very disturbing apocalypse.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    EMPIRE! *The* Game III: Of The People, By The People, For The People
    Hmm... It has some potential. But given the fact that we have few democratic states, I would reword it as: Of The People, By The People, For The King, or something along those lines.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!