New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallen London: Hello, Delicious Playgrounders

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Monster Hunter is the third-tier dangerous/watchful profession. Personally, I liked the way the rat-catcher path ended up going over campaigner.
    The fourth tier is rumored to be the Laocoonian. Make of that what you will...
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, It's becoming extremely interesting to look at the text of the dreams again, especially with some of the new revelations as to the nature of this whole thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    You dream you are walking in a familiar garden. Each pebble on the path is dear to you, each blade of grass. Sunlight slants in long fingers from between dark grey clouds. The air is fresh and clean. You are wordless, for now; aware, angry, vague and demanding. You walk over to the edge of the abyss, by the toppled fountain. Look down. A cat's voice, telling you to step forward. A tug of bat-claws, holding you back.

---

We often see the Masters represented as bats. The Cats appear to be connected in some way to Parabola, the mirrors, and the Fingerlords. This could be alluding further to enmity between the two.
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-03-11 at 10:33 AM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

What effect does 'Touched by the Fingerwork' have?

4. - Top - End - #514
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    What effect does 'Touched by the Fingerwork' have?
    The same as 'Seeing through the Eyes of Icarus,' 'Walking the Falling Cities,' and 'Approaching the Gates of the Garden,' far as I've seen. Which means that it's a harmless little quality relating to your studies of the Neath's mysteries, needed for a few random storylets but not worth much worry.

It seems to be related to the Clay Men, for some reason. Not sure what they have to do with mirrors, but I'll probably find out eventually.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Colossus in the Playground

I finished the Marvellous Ambition and spoke to the King with a Hundred Hearts. There doesn't seem to be a connection with the Fingerlords. So, that's strange.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I finished the Marvellous Ambition and spoke to the King with a Hundred Hearts. There doesn't seem to be a connection with the Fingerlords. So, that's strange.
    Hmmm. Well, you wouldn't have finished the Ambition...haven't they not gotten them to the end yet? Because my Nemesis ambition isn't finished, but it has more yet to go that hasn't been written as of yet.

Mirrors and Clay is the opportunity card which points at a connection between the two.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

Right. So, who wants me to be watchfully patronizing to them?
    I could use a patron in watchfulness, actually, if you wouldn't mind accepting me as a student?
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ogre in the Playground

Right. So, who wants me to be watchfully patronizing to them?
    Well, my watchful is slightly above a 100, but that's nothing a Rattus Faber won't fix (at least according to some post from this thread) - so I wouldn't mind some lessons.

However Shadowy patronage would be somewhat more desired (as it is my lowest stat) - does anyone who offered that have any spare time (IIRC last posts mentioned having enough to do with the current number of proteges)? If not, I'll happily waste some of Dr. Eldan's time ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

9. - Top - End - #519

Send me a calling card? I don't have Szadovar on my list.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

Send me a calling card? I don't have Szadovar on my list.
    Done.

On a - somewhat - unrelated note, it is fun how much equipment can change things. I've just went from watchful 128 to 77 :D And I'm obviously far from having any of the better things...

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, you know, I might have misunderstood how Making Waves costs for Notability work. Do our Dreaded/Bizarre/Respectable scores make it easier to hit the threshold? Because it got much more difficult around the same time I started removing all of my gear for stat grinding...
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-03-12 at 07:49 AM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

12. - Top - End - #522
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    Hmm, you know, I might have misunderstood how Making Waves costs for Notability work. Do our Dreaded/Bizarre/Respectable scores make it easier to hit the threshold? Because it got much more difficult around the same time I started removing all of my gear for stat grinding...
    Yes, the required Making Waves to advance a level is 20+4*[current notability]-dreaded-bizarre-respectable. Just re-equip the gear when you want to advance.
    Last edited by rweird; 2014-03-12 at 08:55 AM.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, excellent. I've dropped from 27 to 18. =P

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

That's (4*N) + 20 - BDR, to be clear. (Yes, I know, Order of Operations, but I like having parentheses to remind me because it's not consistent between computers and humans. Comp Sci thing.)

15. - Top - End - #525

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    That's (4*N) + 20 - BDR, to be clear. (Yes, I know, Order of Operations, but I like having parentheses to remind me because it's not consistent between computers and humans. Comp Sci thing.)
    (4*N) + 20 - (Bizarre + Dreaded + Respectable), to be even clearer, as you don't multiply Bizarre Dreaded and Respectable for what you subtract.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Titan in the Playground

True! I'm just so used to using "BDR" as a shorthand for the sum of your Bizarre, Dreadful, and Respected. Picked it up from browsing the Failbetter forums.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    (4*N) + 20 - (Bizarre + Dreaded + Respectable), to be even clearer, as you don't multiply Bizarre Dreaded and Respectable for what you subtract.
    ((4*N) + (20 - (Bizarre + Dreaded + Respectable))), to put even more parenthesis around everything.

Does anyone know of an efficient way to to acquire Wild Words, I'm trying to increase by Scholar of the Correspondence?

18. - Top - End - #528

If you're high enough, there's "A lovely thought" under "Unfinished Business in Veilgarden". Produces a random number of Beeswax, around 100.

The affair of the box is less efficient, but going through once produces a lot of money (around 1.5 echoes per action, I think) and a handful of correspondence plaques directly.

19. - Top - End - #529

If you're high enough, there's "A lovely thought" under "Unfinished Business in Veilgarden". Produces a random number of Beeswax, around 100.

The affair of the box is less efficient, but going through once produces a lot of money (around 1.5 echoes per action, I think) and a handful of correspondence plaques directly.
    Beeswax is Luminosity, not Wild Words, Debate the Nature of Primordial Shrieks in Ladybones Road gives 50 Primordial Shrieks per action (IIRC).

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    Beeswax is Luminosity, not Wild Words, Debate the Nature of Primordial Shrieks in Ladybones Road gives 50 Primordial Shrieks per action (IIRC).
    That's the one I've been trying, I was wondering if there's something more efficient.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Bugbear in the Playground

'An Eccentric Burglar' via the Implacable Detective gives you 30 Correspondance Plaques (= 750 Primordial Shrieks, if I counted right) for 10 actions I think. It is however luck based, so you might end up with empty hands.

'Robbing a Drunk' in Spite may give more than 50 Shrieks, but I guess on average it will come down to the same.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

22. - Top - End - #532

Does anyone know a source of wine that is not watchful-dependent? Any wine, really. I just calculated that I need another 200'000 or so 1882 greyfields to make M-----'s B---d.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So where's the best place to farm for Echos? Usually Moon pearls, Rostygold, or Nevercold Brass since none of them trade up for anything else. I can do the education of a devil in Mahogany Hall for a little more than 1 echo per action, but surely there's better places...
    Similes are like metaphors.

24. - Top - End - #534

Does anyone know a source of wine that is not watchful-dependent? Any wine, really. I just calculated that I need another 200'000 or so 1882 greyfields to make M-----'s B---d.
    The fourth coil of the labyrinth of tigers can give cellars of wine from breeding a monster (dangerous). Your crowd of admirers in Unfinished Business in Veilgarden gives a random number of the cheapest wine for 5 actions, you can trade in Zee-Ztories for Strangling Willow, and get the Zee-Ztories by refining Glim (Unfinished business in the Spite, though with randomness, it doesn't give too much glim). You could get other 50 pence items and cycle through them to get strangling willow (I believe most can be indirectly traded for one another).

If you are exiled from the court, I think you can use persuasive while waiting for a ship to exile to get 2 strangling willow/action as well.

Varen_Tai: I think grinding the Affair of the Box for Mourning Candles gives 1.42 echoes per action on average.
    Last edited by rweird; 2014-03-12 at 03:11 PM.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

Perhaps these:
    http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Y...wd_of_admirers
    http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/A...ady-in-Waiting
    ?

Also, I messed up the calling card yesterday - I guess I was more tired than I thought, since I've send the card intended for Dr Blake to someone else...

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

I'll second the Boon, cashing in Society connections to get the wine, because it's fairly easy to grind Society back up.

27. - Top - End - #537

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    I'll second the Boon, cashing in Society connections to get the wine, because it's fairly easy to grind Society back up.
    Being Erudite in the Duchess's Salon gives something like +40 CP/action. Still, that averages to about 60 pence of wine/action, assuming you grind connections back up, making the unfinished business watchful one be significantly better. If your okay with calling in all your favors and not grinding it back, it probably is the most efficient.

28. - Top - End - #538

Mhm. Still the best outside of watchful actions though, I think. I want to increase stats and my watchful is maxed. I'm also breeding Somnolent hyenas, though. Between converting Greyfields, breeding and the Sidestreets, I have a pretty good flow of Cellars of Wine.

29. - Top - End - #539

Waiting for your ship (Wolfstack Docks) gives two strangling willow/action and is persuasive, which I think would be better.

30. - Top - End - #540

That probably comes out to about the same as the Hyena.

Let's see. 5 actions to go down, catch the hyena and go back up.
    21/3=7 actions to catch enough fungi.
    1 action to breed it.

So, 13 actions total produces 30 stranging willow.

More efficient, actually.