New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Fallen London: Hello, Delicious Playgrounders

And after I have 175 cellars of wine, I just need to draw the Presumptuous Little Opportunity card 43 times...
    Resident Vancian Apologist

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    Beeswax is Luminosity, not Wild Words, Debate the Nature of Primordial Shrieks in Ladybones Road gives 50 Primordial Shrieks per action (IIRC).
    You can also Rob a Drunk in Spite for an average of 40-50 per action.

Anyway, I got to the point in Bag a Legend where I have to go to New Newgate, and so instead of just spending tons of actions on the "raise your Suspicion" option (which I actually did use to get it up to 5 or 6) that's now in Shuttered Palace for me, I went to Spite and started robbing a Glim Assayer's Office. Almost got to 8 Suspicion now, and have at least four hundred Glim in profits and like, 24 Maniac's Prayers from the occasional rare success.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-03-12 at 06:09 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Um...I appear to be stuck on the boat. What's the best way to escape?

4. - Top - End - #544
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Um...I appear to be stuck on the boat. What's the best way to escape?
    Chess, fiddle with your watchful score so it'll be as easy as possible (in different ranges).

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    Chess, fiddle with your watchful score so it'll be as easy as possible (in different ranges).
    Um...My Watchful is 5. I just started recently and invested early in Shadowy...I don't have any +Watchful items.

6. - Top - End - #546

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    Um...My Watchful is 5. I just started recently and invested early in Shadowy...I don't have any +Watchful items.
    Opportunity cards are the best I think. Dice I think statistically also help.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, you'll get out eventually. The chief annoyance of the slow boat, unless it's changed some, is that it's slow and not easy to get quickly out of.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #548

Send me a card when you get out. I can probably train your watchful quite quickly.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, not sure how this would work. Does it mean they added more beasts as outcomes? I could see it being a sort of Dangerous-analogue to Forgotten Quarter excavations.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Probably not more beasts, just more varied rewards. And story bits.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Hm, this should be good training, then. A shame I can't remove my Destiny item, that's a permanent +5 Dangerous.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, and the first change is evident already: the Somnolent Hyena can only be picked up if you have 5 Nightmares. *heads to the Forgotten Quarter*
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-03-13 at 10:34 AM.

14. - Top - End - #554

I've noticed.

Since I'm grinding for wines anyway, I might as well run a series of hyenas through all combinations.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Anyway, I got to the point in Bag a Legend where I have to go to New Newgate, and so instead of just spending tons of actions on the "raise your Suspicion" option (which I actually did use to get it up to 5 or 6) that's now in Shuttered Palace for me, I went to Spite and started robbing a Glim Assayer's Office. Almost got to 8 Suspicion now, and have at least four hundred Glim in profits and like, 24 Maniac's Prayers from the occasional rare success.
    Heh, yeah, it took me a while to notice I can spend those actions on something more profitable. All without being afraid of failures.

If you don't mind a small spoiler (no content, just proper preparation) for a segment soon after prison:

Spoiler
    Show
    To continue your hunt outside of the city, you will need to rise a quality to a certain level. I recommend raising that quality a few levels higher than the minimum you need to continue. You will need it again later, on higher levels. While there are still ways to raise it, you won't have the bazaar or your lodgings for menace reduction available at that time.
    Dangerous in the 80s (with equipment) is also recommended.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    I've noticed.

Since I'm grinding for wines anyway, I might as well run a series of hyenas through all combinations.
    I dub thee the Sloshed Hyena-Breeder.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Heh, yeah, it took me a while to notice I can spend those actions on something more profitable. All without being afraid of failures.

If you don't mind a small spoiler (no content, just proper preparation) for a segment soon after prison:

Spoiler
    Show
    To continue your hunt outside of the city, you will need to rise a quality to a certain level. I recommend raising that quality a few levels higher than the minimum you need to continue. You will need it again later, on higher levels. While there are still ways to raise it, you won't have the bazaar or your lodgings for menace reduction available at that time.
    Dangerous in the 80s (with equipment) is also recommended.
    Yeah, I've gotten to that point. Do I have to drink Absinthe? I forget where the game said I could buy it, but it's not at the Pawnbrokers.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

18. - Top - End - #558

Yeah, I've gotten to that point. Do I have to drink Absinthe? I forget where the game said I could buy it, but it's not at the Pawnbrokers.
    You get it in Veilgarden IIRC.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Bugbear in the Playground

There is a storylet in Veilgarden, you can buy or steal Absinthe there. There is an opportunity card for drinking Absinthe to increase your 'Hearing things'. Never tried to just drink the Absinthe from my inventory. There is also a different OC that lets you raise your 'Hearing things' without Absinthe.

Having finished that part, you don't actually need that much 'Hearing things'. It is actually just one challenge and I think you can replace that with a Dangerous challenge.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

20. - Top - End - #560

Okay. In earlier attempts, I always went for full-scale breeding on my monsters. Clearly, I should have more partial breedings, because the story text here? Awesome. So awesome.

Too bad I can't really efficiently catch a large number of anything other than Hyenas. But read this. Just... read it.

The sounds that come from the birthing chamber are terrible. First the screams of your beast as the bat pulls it apart and consumes it, then the ground-shaking shrieks of the birth. You sit in silence with the bishop, wondering what will slouch from the trapdoor. Some time later something appears. A young gentleman. His red hair and moustache are of the current mode, but his modesty is only covered by a scrap of black cloth and a thin layer of birthing-ooze. He looks at you and smiles. He looks hungry. A shot rings out, and the young man collapses, dead. The Bishop lowers his revolver and says, 'It's just like Dublin. It's always just like Dublin.' Is that a moist gleam in his eye?

Find the rest of the story at: www.fallenlondon.com
    © Failbetter Games 2014

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaang.

Well, I know what I'm going for next. BREED ALL THE THINGS. Lots of trips to Flute Street, I guess....

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

For now, I'm just going to wait until I start to become unhinged. Or head out to zee.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Titan in the Playground

So, all Zee cards are now "Can't Discard". So it's gonna be a wee bit less safe...

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, it should be fun, I've never actually lost a voyage. It would be interesting to see what exactly happens.

Besides, I have the Zubmarine, safest of all zee-vessels.

25. - Top - End - #565

You can "lose" a voyage? How? Getting Waves up to a certain value?

26. - Top - End - #566
    Barbarian in the Playground

Okay. In earlier attempts, I always went for full-scale breeding on my monsters. Clearly, I should have more partial breedings, because the story text here? Awesome. So awesome.

Too bad I can't really efficiently catch a large number of anything other than Hyenas. But read this. Just... read it.
    I...you know, that'd be amazingly jarring if this weren't Fallen London. What were you breeding to get this?

I wonder if the big bat thing is a Master's uncle.
    Last edited by Hydranova; 2014-03-14 at 11:56 AM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

There are some card options in Lashing Waves that, from the text, can reset your progress completely. I'm not sure if it comes with any other penalties.

28. - Top - End - #568

Quote Originally Posted by Hydranova View Post
    I...you know, that'd be amazingly jarring if this weren't Fallen London. What were you breeding to get this?
    The Somnolent Hyena. Couldn't tell you exactly how, but I've been running up and down the Coils for a few days, catching around half a dozen of the things.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Titan in the Playground

You can "lose" a voyage? How? Getting Waves up to a certain value?
    I don't know if there's a total loss state, but as your Troubled Waters gets too high, you get a lot of cards that remove your progress when you fail luck checks.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Finally got off the boat!