New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Fallen London: Hello, Delicious Playgrounders

I've thrown my lot in with the Church, especially seeing as how a certain wrasslin', fiery, bombastic Bishop appears to be London's best bet.

Though, I wonder how the Destinies tie into this. I wager that Gloom= you End a lot of things, but I'm not familiar with the other ones.
    Last edited by Hydranova; 2014-02-19 at 07:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay, these messages are getting really funny. Though I should inform Hydranova that Dr. Blake is probably not a medical doctor, but one of science. I say probably because he has spent so much time in the Nadir lately, he probably can't remember unimportant details like which of his publications was his actual thesis.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #183

Well, this IS Fallen London. You'd probably do a bang-up job of being a doctor anyways.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

And what's the worst you could do? Kill someone? Ha!
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

By the way, has anyone else notice a lack of Slowcake's Amanuensis since the Feast started? I'm sure it's just RNG being RNG, but it's curious.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

OK, so what's the thought here: I have a Dreadful Surmise, which are priced around 300 Echoes in the Bazaar. They currently don't do anything and seem designed to be a cash only item. Should I sell it or hang onto it, juuuuust in case it becomes relevant some day?
    Similes are like metaphors.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Varen_Tai View Post
    OK, so what's the thought here: I have a Dreadful Surmise, which are priced around 300 Echoes in the Bazaar. They currently don't do anything and seem designed to be a cash only item. Should I sell it or hang onto it, juuuuust in case it becomes relevant some day?
    Hang onto it. During Christmas, it unlocked an option with lacre. I'm almost positive it'll have uses in the future.

I never sell the ~300 echo items. Almost impossible to replace. (I don't remember how I managed to get my second Starstone Demark, but you don't get lucky like that often.)
    Last edited by CarpeGuitarrem; 2014-02-20 at 12:51 PM.
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Luzahn View Post
    By the way, has anyone else notice a lack of Slowcake's Amanuensis since the Feast started? I'm sure it's just RNG being RNG, but it's curious.
    I did meet him. On hte other hand, I've probably spent a real time month, now, waiting for that message that allows me to become a correspondent.

As for items, I've been a collector for a long time. I only consider selling something if I have at least 2 of it.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2014-02-20 at 01:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    (I don't remember how I managed to get my second Starstone Demark, but you don't get lucky like that often.)
    Traded 680 Certifiable Scraps, perhaps? Just saw that card. Seems you can get almost anything with enough Scraps. But I never sell my last copy of anything, either. Not even the diamond you start the game with.

Also, there's a repeatable storylet in Spite, "Confound the Constables," that reduces Suspicion considerably. Are there equivalents for the other menaces? Particularly Nightmares?
    Last edited by Pseudo_Nym; 2014-02-20 at 07:35 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hello, I too am a Fallen Londoner. If anyone wants to be my protégée, I am an Invisible Eminence and can tutor you in the Shadowy arts. I'm open for pretty much any social actions (not accepting pass the cat, though I am willing to send cats too people). I don't recommend Starveling Cats (gives -3 persuasive, only action you can take just increases nightmares and wounds), unless SMEN comes back and your a Seeker, it just is a Bad Thing. I really don't have anything to do (I'm trying to get an Übergoat and the Cider, but both of those aren't exactly achievable). I am in the Moon League (Knife and Candle) if anyone wants to duel.
    Last edited by rweird; 2014-02-20 at 07:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Added to the ever-growing list! Do you have a profession yet? You might want to do some Making Waves grinding to get enough Notability for it. Then...I dunno. If you really want a high goal to aim for, you could also try for some of the new Lodgings. Those have some hefty requirements, though.

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Added to the ever-growing list! Do you have a profession yet? You might want to do some Making Waves grinding to get enough Notability for it. Then...I dunno. If you really want a high goal to aim for, you could also try for some of the new Lodgings. Those have some hefty requirements, though.
    I'm a Crooked Cross and still have 6 notability. I have all the lodgings excepts for the Sanctum in the Brass Embassy, or possibly one of the new three-card ones only available through the wicket. I don't want to try my Location of the Prince of Hell for the Sanctum unless I get a second (I'm slowly grinding for scraps, but, being opportunity card based, its hard to be a sole focus). I'm grinding the Affair of the Box for echoes, and various other stories for connections. I probably will try Ambition: Enigma, if I can ever figure out how to start it.
    Last edited by rweird; 2014-02-20 at 09:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Darn! (And I've been mildly intrigued by the Ambition, but not enough to put effort into it.)

You could also start another character, I suppose, with a second account? And go through the content again for refreshers (and maybe a different Ambition).

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    Hello, I too am a Fallen Londoner. If anyone wants to be my protégée, I am an Invisible Eminence and can tutor you in the Shadowy arts. I'm open for pretty much any social actions (not accepting pass the cat, though I am willing to send cats too people). I don't recommend Starveling Cats (gives -3 persuasive, only action you can take just increases nightmares and wounds), unless SMEN comes back and your a Seeker, it just is a Bad Thing. I really don't have anything to do (I'm trying to get an Übergoat and the Cider, but both of those aren't exactly achievable). I am in the Moon League (Knife and Candle) if anyone wants to duel.
    How does one get into Knife and Candle? I've read up on it online and I still don't get it.

Also, pah on the Starveling Cat. Pah. I'm a collector. I have several eyeless skulls lying around just because they look cool. A cat won't scare me.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I'm having trouble deciding which 200-level trait I'm going to want. Watchful has always been my main, but I suspect that a lot of people will go for that.

Dangerous seems less popular, and it's good to fill a niche. Is there any reason An Extraordinary Mind is listed as needing seven notability, while the others want five?
    Last edited by Luzahn; 2014-02-21 at 06:20 AM.
    Currently playing the Imperial Space Corps in Blood Bowl! We won't rest until everyone has Guard.

16. - Top - End - #196

Man, this feast is ruining my reputation. I'm on my fourth trip to the Tomb colonies now, in about as many days.

17. - Top - End - #197

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    How does one get into Knife and Candle? I've read up on it online and I still don't get it.

Also, pah on the Starveling Cat. Pah. I'm a collector. I have several eyeless skulls lying around just because they look cool. A cat won't scare me.
    At Watchmaker's Hill, there is a storylet called "The Gamekeeper's Cottage", if you have 50 dangerous and 101 whispered secrets, you can join. Other players also can send invites for an iron knife token.

I see. I suppose I'm somewhat of a collector too, though I don't collect things that are just detrimental unless they are needed for a story. Sure I might look into it (excepts for SMEN), though once I've done it, I'd try to get rid of it.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by rweird View Post
    At Watchmaker's Hill, there is a storylet called "The Gamekeeper's Cottage", if you have 50 dangerous and 101 whispered secrets, you can join. Other players also can send invites for an iron knife token.
    I... huh. Is that new? Because I remember visiting the Gamekeeper's Cottage before, when I saw it mentioned as a way into Knife-and-Candle, and the story was locked, then. Or rather, only the second storylet was there, the one which required you to already be a member.

19. - Top - End - #199

I... huh. Is that new? Because I remember visiting the Gamekeeper's Cottage before, when I saw it mentioned as a way into Knife-and-Candle, and the story was locked, then. Or rather, only the second storylet was there, the one which required you to already be a member.
    It was made less experimental at some point, and opened to everyone. Not sure exactly when.

Originally, joining was fate-locked, unless you were invited, though back on the Failbetter Forums, there was some thread where you can request invites. I got invited rather early on.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't realize we had a Fallen London thread here! I have reached a fairly high level though I'm running out of things to do. I could try to max my scores or get an Übergoat however those would be awfully long grinds. I've spent a few days Advancing the Liberation of Night however I don't know if that will actually lead into a story. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Heck no. They are not getting my Zoup, Blood, River in a Box or Vengerat. As far as I can tell, I'll never get another of any of these other than maybe the Blood. And that's crazy expensive.

They can have some violet amber, I have tons.

Edit: they pay badly, too.
    I actually found the M_____'s B____ to be a very good trade. They give you very rare item with the same sell value as the M_____'s B____ and I don't think there is (currently) any other way to get that item.

21. - Top - End - #201

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeGninjas View Post
    I actually found the M_____'s B____ to be a very good trade. They give you very rare item with the same sell value as the M_____'s B____ and I don't think there is (currently) any other way to get that item.
    Hmmmm. Is that so...
    I might consider it then. After I look into alternative sources of M_____'s B____.

PS: Ah. Five tears of the bazaar. That will be difficult. But doable.
    PPS: The deal is done.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2014-02-21 at 10:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #202

So. Any tips on raising that Potential to higher than 70/75? I don't want to use my special items yet.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

So I just decided to rob a drunk cavalry officer with a 48% chance of success. First try, succeed, get his sword-cane. Great! I kinda wanted that. Same Persuasive bonus as the Warm Amber, although I'll still switch to the Ancient Hunting Rifle for Dangerous challenges.

Also, anyone know reliable ways of getting Prisoner's Honey? I used to have one in Veilgarden, but now I just have the "deepen your acquaintace with Prisoner's Honey" option, which loses some. Only way I've found is that Bohemian card you occasionally get.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-02-21 at 10:56 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

24. - Top - End - #204
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can "Rob a Honey Den" in Spite, with 32 Shadowy. And if there was an option you liked but is too easy for you now, you can try messing around with your equipment to lower your stats.
    Last edited by Pseudo_Nym; 2014-02-21 at 11:16 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

Jade Dragon: That depends on your scores. If you are PoSI (judging from your profile, I doubt that), you can gain some from Unfinished Business in Veilgarden. I think that you can rob a honey-den with the right shadowy score (~30 perhaps, don't quite recall) in the spite, or at least steal it from one of the stories. If your scores are too high, equipping a talkative rattus faber can decrease them, unlocking lower level stories again.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Or perhaps… Urchin'd

EDIT 2: You can trade Greyfields 1879 at the honey den for prisoners honey, gets you 40 drops for 50 Greyfields if successful. I don't know the difficulty.
    Last edited by rweird; 2014-02-22 at 09:06 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206

Huzzah! Got a coruscating soul from the Tale of the Fidgeting Writer chain. Any suggestions on what to do with it?

27. - Top - End - #207

Quote Originally Posted by Hydranova View Post
    Huzzah! Got a coruscating soul from the Tale of the Fidgeting Writer chain. Any suggestions on what to do with it?
    Considering I've never heard of it, I assume it is a high value infernal item. Personally, I'd probably save it, though I don't think it would have a use besides selling it… yet.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it's a top-tier item (congrats!) worth 312 echoes and 50 pence. Try and get another one!

29. - Top - End - #209

If you use a Tale of Terror! to pursue the Case of the Fidgeting Writer, you get a chain of items wherein you can either give up the item for something, or roll the dice and try to proceed.

What I want to know is, why couldn't one combine the Black Lens with the Nephrite Glass? That'd be something to see.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Or something to unsee, as it were.