New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fairy Tail Thread 3: Demon-ex Machinus

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Though else, really good chapter this week, its a surprising leap in quality we suddenly have, as if FT is currently being handled by a switching group of authors..
    That would explain how they plan to make four spin-off mangas...

Anime is nearing the end of the arc. They got a pretty kick-ass new opening but FT openings are good most of the time. Too bad everything else wasn't better... Erza vs Minerva and Laxus vs Jura didn't get any addition as far as I can tell and Sting's surrender was just as bad as back then
    Well, I do have hopes the big slaughter will at least be fun to watch once it happens.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

2. - Top - End - #242
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    That would explain how they plan to make four spin-off mangas....
    Naw, what he lacks in story structure, he makes up for in sheer speed of creation. I know they're getting other mangaka to work on the four spin offs, but I do think he'd be able to do all four plus Fairy Tail himself. Remember, this is the guy who can work on two manga at the same time, and do double chapters twice in a row for each of them.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

Hello everyone, and congratulations on surviving Dragon King Day earlier this week.

Quick question: What exactly is the Magic Council's jurisdiction? Is it a worldwide organization or specific to Fiore? Who if anyone does it answer to? Different wiki pages keep giving me conflicting answers on this, and I'm gearing up to GM a Fairy Tail RPG soon so it's kind of important I know which one is correct.

Secondary concern: Just how big is Fiore? It's obviously pretty big given the sheer variety of story that's able to happen without ever leaving it, and the one actual measurement I've been able to find (~2000 km from Warrod's place to the Sun Village) puts it at least half an Australia, but is there anything more specific than that?

(Speaking of which, given Fiore's relative size on this map, Earth-land must have way more land area than Earth. I guess Hiro Mashima has no sense of scale.)
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Hello everyone, and congratulations on surviving Dragon King Day earlier this week.

Quick question: What exactly is the Magic Council's jurisdiction? Is it a worldwide organization or specific to Fiore? Who if anyone does it answer to? Different wiki pages keep giving me conflicting answers on this, and I'm gearing up to GM a Fairy Tail RPG soon so it's kind of important I know which one is correct.

Secondary concern: Just how big is Fiore? It's obviously pretty big given the sheer variety of story that's able to happen without ever leaving it, and the one actual measurement I've been able to find (~2000 km from Warrod's place to the Sun Village) puts it at least half an Australia, but is there anything more specific than that?

(Speaking of which, given Fiore's relative size on this map, Earth-land must have way more land area than Earth. I guess Hiro Mashima has no sense of scale.)
    It has to be specific to Fiore, because during the scene where they want to fire etherion at Jellal's Tower of Heaven they are talking about the possible political backlash from other nations.

As for the size of Fiore, the intro to the anime calls it a "small peaceful nation of 17 million." So it's not huge, but not tiny either. I have no idea about exact dimensions, but there's a picture of it on a map in the anime intro as well.

The map you listed doesn't have to be their entire world. It could be a single continent. Or maybe their world is just smaller than Earth. Or maybe there's a lot more water that just isn't shown. There's lots of explanations possible for this. I'd guess it to be around the size of the UK or Germany.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2014-07-09 at 05:48 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    The map you listed doesn't have to be their entire world. It could be a single continent. Or maybe their world is just smaller than Earth. Or maybe there's a lot more water that just isn't shown. There's lots of explanations possible for this.
    It's obviously much larger, not smaller. You can tell that that map is of a roughly Europe-like peninsula jutting off of a much larger continent, so given that one of the smaller countries on that peninsula is at least half the size of Australia...
    Last edited by Sith_Happens; 2014-07-09 at 09:06 PM.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Banned

It's obviously much larger, not smaller. You can tell that that map is of a roughly Europe-like peninsula jutting off of a much larger continent, so given that one of the smaller countries on that peninsula is at least half the size of Australia...
    You can't really say that because there's nothing to indicate any type of scale on the map. What we see on that map could be the entirety of their world or only 1% of it. The size of the countries on the map itself tells us literally nothing other than their size in relation to other countries on the map. The entire peninsula could be the size of Florida for all we can tell.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2014-07-10 at 03:34 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

You can't really say that because there's nothing to indicate any type of scale on the map. What we see on that map could be the entirety of their world or only 1% of it. The size of the countries on the map itself tells us literally nothing other than their size in relation to other countries on the map. The entire peninsula could be the size of Florida for all we can tell.
    Considering that the NE part of the map just suddenly ends, it is most definitely NOT the entire world.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Considering that the NE part of the map just suddenly ends, it is most definitely NOT the entire world.
    Sure, but what's past it? It could be a giant continent. It could be a tiny amount of land. It could just be water. For all we know Fairy Tail's world is actually flat and just randomly falls off into an abyss at a certain point and that's why the map cuts off (I'm being silly here). My overall point was that the map itself isn't sufficient to tell us the size of the countries.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2014-07-10 at 09:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, but what's past it? It could be a giant continent. It could be a tiny amount of land. It could just be water. For all we know Fairy Tail's world is actually flat and just randomly falls off into an abyss at a certain point and that's why the map cuts off (I'm being silly here). My overall point was that the map itself isn't sufficient to tell us the size of the countries.
    Seeing as Fiore is pretty clearly based on 19th century Europe, and the peninsula it caps is roughly Europe-shaped, it's probably a safe guess that the grayed-out portion past Peregrande is not-Russia. Which, to keep the right scale, would be roughly the size of Pangea.

I don't even want to think about the not-Africa you can see poking out from under the cloud cover near the bottom-right.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Banned

Seeing as Fiore is pretty clearly based on 19th century Europe, and the peninsula it caps is roughly Europe-shaped, it's probably a safe guess that the grayed-out portion past Peregrande is not-Russia. Which, to keep the right scale, would be roughly the size of Pangea.

I don't even want to think about the not-Africa you can see poking out from under the cloud cover near the bottom-right.
    Except...again...maps don't work that way. The size of the countries on the map itself mean literally nothing without something to give scale. Fiore could be the size of Asia, or the size of Rhode Island for all that map tells us.

Your criticizing the author based on absolutely nothing but a blind guess on the scale of the map and another blind guess about things that aren't actually even shown.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Halfling in the Playground

new chapter
    Spoiler
    Show
    So.... Gray's father is actually...Grays father. Didn't see that coming Which begs the question: How will he survive? This is Fairy Tail after all. Apart from that it was a decent chapter i think.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hattington View Post
    new chapter
    Spoiler
    Show
    So.... Gray's father is actually...Grays father. Didn't see that coming Which begs the question: How will he survive? This is Fairy Tail after all. Apart from that it was a decent chapter i think.
    Spoiler
    Show
    easy, they'll fill the hole in him with ice, so perfectly made that it even emulates veins
    or some other random stupid answer

i was actually hoping that it was deliora, but nooo, that'd be good writing, we couldn't leave it at "i'm not you're father, i'm the demon who killed him" we had to go even further to "ha. i'm not the demon, i really am your father"
    elemental avatar by kaariane

extended signature

13. - Top - End - #253
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    easy, they'll fill the hole in him with ice, so perfectly made that it even emulates veins
    or some other random stupid answer

i was actually hoping that it was deliora, but nooo, that'd be good writing, we couldn't leave it at "i'm not you're father, i'm the demon who killed him" we had to go even further to "ha. i'm not the demon, i really am your father"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nah, Deloria was utter goddamn nonsense, and I'm just as glad that it didn't turn out to be true. Deliora killed Grey's family and destroyed his town months before Ur sealed him away; he wasn't using a corpse-shell in the intervening time, so why would he slip into a functioning body afterwards? It also deeply cheapened Ur's sacrifice, so I'm glad that it wasn't a thing.

I assume the progression was: "Silver assumed Grey was dead, sought revenge. Silver joined Tartaros to learn Demon Slayer magic, and learned ice magic because it was in some way something anathema to Deliora. Unfortunately, being turned into a demon screws people up, so Silver became roped into Tartaros, and then Deliora died because of Ur and even when Silver learned that Grey was alive, he couldn't face him or admit how thoroughly he'd screwed up. So he invented the whole dumb Deliora story in a desperate attempt to avoid letting Grey know how badly his father messed up."
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Colossus in the Playground

So, as someone who typically doesn't like Fairy Tail...that was a pretty good chapter, and a great double twist. As long as Silver dies, it'll be golden.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, i really liked this chapter as well.

I guess Silver went though the same demonising procedure as Minerva, becoming a demonic member of Tartarous.

And he apperently then wanted it to be Grey who ended him, with the whole stupid lie being so that Grey might fight him seriously.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Friv View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nah, Deloria was utter goddamn nonsense, and I'm just as glad that it didn't turn out to be true. Deliora killed Grey's family and destroyed his town months before Ur sealed him away; he wasn't using a corpse-shell in the intervening time, so why would he slip into a functioning body afterwards? It also deeply cheapened Ur's sacrifice, so I'm glad that it wasn't a thing.

I assume the progression was: "Silver assumed Grey was dead, sought revenge. Silver joined Tartaros to learn Demon Slayer magic, and learned ice magic because it was in some way something anathema to Deliora. Unfortunately, being turned into a demon screws people up, so Silver became roped into Tartaros, and then Deliora died because of Ur and even when Silver learned that Grey was alive, he couldn't face him or admit how thoroughly he'd screwed up. So he invented the whole dumb Deliora story in a desperate attempt to avoid letting Grey know how badly his father messed up."
    That's just unnecessarily complicated.

Greer has already stated flat out that the Skull demon can bring people back from the dead (the councilman to activate Face).

So Skull dude raised him from the dead and is controlling him.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure how I feel about today's chapter...

Spoiler
    Show

ESPECIALLY that reveal at the end... Really, I have no idea what's worse... it being Gray's father who... infiltrated Tartaros and then didn't do anything against them? Was turned into a demon by Tartaros but still somehow himself? (Also, why him of all people?! Ugh... Really I'm confused... And not really in a good way but also not really in a bad way...

But what worries me more... where did that steelball come from? Why does it kill Silver? I did like Gray's double bluff, or more likely, last minute change of plans. And I guess it makes sense he could catch Silver off guard by using a false Iced Shell or so, but the steel ball feels so... unnecessary.
    "What's done is done."

Pony Avatar thanks to Elemental

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Except...again...maps don't work that way. The size of the countries on the map itself mean literally nothing without something to give scale. Fiore could be the size of Asia, or the size of Rhode Island for all that map tells us.

Your criticizing the author based on absolutely nothing but a blind guess on the scale of the map and another blind guess about things that aren't actually even shown.
    1. The distance between at least one pair of points in Fiore has been stated. That distance is 2000 km.

2. I've never heard of a geopolitical map that's not to scale, though projections do complicate things somewhat.

QED, Earth-land is big. Really big. And/or has smaller oceans than real-life Earth.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Troll in the Playground

Good chapter. Very good chapter. This was exactly the reason why I started to read FT a long time ago.
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

20. - Top - End - #260
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    So, as someone who typically doesn't like Fairy Tail...that was a pretty good chapter, and a great double twist. As long as Silver dies, it'll be golden.
    Dieing? In Fairy Tail? Not in my lifetime ;D

21. - Top - End - #261
    Banned

He's a demon, so there's no reason he can't survive a hole in the chest.

Also, I totally called that him being Deliora was a lie.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Dieing? In Fairy Tail? Not in my lifetime ;D
    Not in your lifetime..? I guess that means you joined in the second ½ of the series
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Hey all! So I just finished ep163 of Fairy Tail and first of all I always love tournament arcs for some reason, always a ton of fun to watch. But I cannot stand Lucy... especially when she stopped Lisanna and Natsu from being together in that marriage challenge Also the episode was fanserivce up to eleven up honestly I thought it was more funny than titillating but thats just my opinion.

Oh well rant done, I guess its back to watching Fairy Tail, hope others agree with me though
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

Extended List of Games I'm in or GM'ing

My homebrew setting: Raeus

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosArchon View Post
    tournament arcs... Lucy
    IIRC, I did warn you.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

IIRC, I did warn you.
    Yes, yes you did... she's Mary Sue incarnate, at least when the others get victory from the edge of defeat it's interesting and "realistic," with Lucy I never feel that way. Plus I prefer Lisanna x Natsu but it's clear that won't be a thing

Hmm I just realized the "annoying" Lucy from the abridged series is less annoying to me than the real Lucy is.
    Last edited by ChaosArchon; 2014-07-15 at 07:10 PM.
    Lu'ciel, First Age Sorcerer-King of the Unconquered Sun avatar by linkele. many thanks to the person

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, yes you did... she's Mary Sue incarnate, at least when the others get victory from the edge of defeat it's interesting and "realistic," with Lucy I never feel that way.
    Is wrenching defeat from the jaws of victory preferable? Because that's what she spends most of that arc doing.

Plus I prefer Lisanna x Natsu but it's clear that won't be a thing
    You're kidding, right? There's exactly zero romantic tension of any kind between Lucy and Natsu and gallons between Lisanna and Natsu.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Troll in the Playground

You're kidding, right? There's exactly zero romantic tension of any kind between Lucy and Natsu and gallons between Lisanna and Natsu.
    I remember reading somewhere that Hiro is once quoted as saying LucyxNatsu is happening he's just trying to figure out how to get there, so we'e doomed by Word Of God unfortunately.... Unless he's changed his mind, I would like that and hey it is Fairy Tail right, anything can happen

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

I remember reading somewhere that Hiro is once quoted as saying LucyxNatsu is happening he's just trying to figure out how to get there, so we'e doomed by Word Of God unfortunately....
    Careful what you read online, shippers are a deceitful and petty bunch.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Banned

It seems pretty obvious to me that they're going to end up together. People don't have to be all lovey dovey, or stalkerish like Juvia to show affection.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Troll in the Playground

Lisanna and Natsu or Lucy and Natsu?