New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Terror is a very, very real thing. [True Story inside, click if you dare]

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance View Post
    I'm in Missouri, so I have no clue.
    Missouri you say? I'm in the same state, may I ask for a general location of said camping spot? The story has caught my interest so if it's close... I may get a few friends together, if nothing more than to just scare the bajeebus outta them I'm a coward, but I love a good scare

2. - Top - End - #32

Default Re: Terror is a very, very real thing. [True Story inside, click if you dare]

I just looked up "mange deer" on google image search, and it sounds similar to what you described. The scent of blood may be due to it having gored something, as the other posters have said, and the "grin" may have been due to the effects of mange or similar skin diseases on the jaw. Probably not a Wendigo.
    I'm also on the Bay12 Games forums under the same username.

The awesome Ceika made both my avatars! All hail!
    Spoiler: Former avatar
    Show

Currently playing the parched and honourable Rabhid Dynasty in Empire2!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Well, as a confirmed unbeliever when it comes to cryptozoology, hauntings, and weirdness of any and every kind, I find your story interesting. My thoughts are:

1. It was a regular deer. Darkness and fear make things look a lot bigger than they are, just like they distort distances.

2. Blood smell could easily be some environmental factor totally unrelated to the animal. For example, deer carcase in the undergrowth, rotting vegetation producing a blood-like odor, etc. Changes in blood smell intensity easily explained by imperceptible shifts in air flow due to nighttime cooling.

3. Smile could be trick of light, imagination giving you a hard time when not fully awake, or animal opening its mouth incidentally and causing a momentary glint of teeth.

4. Slimy texture could easily be wet fur from swimming. Catching starlight/moonlight/ambient light, it could easily look smooth, pale, and wet, more like skin than fur.

5. Genuinely creepy explanation involving no supernatural/cryptozoological elements: apparition was sinister person wearing spooky looking outfit with antlers, drenched in slaughterhouse blood. Motivations range from trying to scare the heck out of you with a prank (mission accomplished), to serious predatory stalking with creepy costume thrown in for added terror value, depending on whether they're just a jerk or a psychopath.

I'm putting my bets on a regular ol' deer, though, possibly having just taken a swim. Have you ever heard a raccoon fight at night? You'd think that a pack of alien carnivores was ripping each other to pieces out in the darkness, and it can unnerve you until you find out what it is. A lot of natural phenomena are quite spooky with conditions of darkness, sleep, and isolation from civilization.

However, if there was anything genuinely horrific around, someone would have stumbled on it by now. There are too many people with instant communications, cell phone cameras, GPS, and so on around for there to be anything too mysterious left on this old Earth.

Anyway, maybe you should nerve yourself up and go look for tracks in the daylight. If I was closer, I'd volunteer to come along.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gurgleflep View Post
    Missouri you say? I'm in the same state, may I ask for a general location of said camping spot? The story has caught my interest so if it's close... I may get a few friends together, if nothing more than to just scare the bajeebus outta them I'm a coward, but I love a good scare
    Klondike Park, actually. If it's close, it's a great camping spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    I just looked up "mange deer" on google image search, and it sounds similar to what you described. The scent of blood may be due to it having gored something, as the other posters have said, and the "grin" may have been due to the effects of mange or similar skin diseases on the jaw. Probably not a Wendigo.
    It's not a Wendigo by any means, I'm thinking it's a Skinwalker.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    Well, as a confirmed unbeliever when it comes to cryptozoology, hauntings, and weirdness of any and every kind, I find your story interesting. My thoughts are:

1. It was a regular deer. Darkness and fear make things look a lot bigger than they are, just like they distort distances.

2. Blood smell could easily be some environmental factor totally unrelated to the animal. For example, deer carcase in the undergrowth, rotting vegetation producing a blood-like odor, etc. Changes in blood smell intensity easily explained by imperceptible shifts in air flow due to nighttime cooling.

3. Smile could be trick of light, imagination giving you a hard time when not fully awake, or animal opening its mouth incidentally and causing a momentary glint of teeth.

4. Slimy texture could easily be wet fur from swimming. Catching starlight/moonlight/ambient light, it could easily look smooth, pale, and wet, more like skin than fur.

5. Genuinely creepy explanation involving no supernatural/cryptozoological elements: apparition was sinister person wearing spooky looking outfit with antlers, drenched in slaughterhouse blood. Motivations range from trying to scare the heck out of you with a prank (mission accomplished), to serious predatory stalking with creepy costume thrown in for added terror value, depending on whether they're just a jerk or a psychopath.

I'm putting my bets on a regular ol' deer, though, possibly having just taken a swim. Have you ever heard a raccoon fight at night? You'd think that a pack of alien carnivores was ripping each other to pieces out in the darkness, and it can unnerve you until you find out what it is. A lot of natural phenomena are quite spooky with conditions of darkness, sleep, and isolation from civilization.

However, if there was anything genuinely horrific around, someone would have stumbled on it by now. There are too many people with instant communications, cell phone cameras, GPS, and so on around for there to be anything too mysterious left on this old Earth.

Anyway, maybe you should nerve yourself up and go look for tracks in the daylight. If I was closer, I'd volunteer to come along.

This thing was only about one meter away, so I'm fairly sure that it rules it out. It's head was far too high for that, and the way it walked was in no way similar to a Deer.

The blood smell could be explained entirely, so I'll give you that.

That'd be true, if it didn't have a full grin, with corner up really, really high.

The Only lake was pretty much frozen.

Highly doubt, people can't make that little of noise, trust me, I've worked at it for a really long time.

Oh, people have. They just generally don't think much of it because people'd think their loonies.
    Look up /k/'s Skinwalkers.
    "All things must end, and you will be among the first."
    I love Ceika <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kymme View Post
    You've got good reasoning, though the Akastarepti is never the best example.

Extended Sig

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

This would rely upon the confluence of a number of disparate factors. Not impossible by any means, but this particular scenario seems unlikely. By Occam's Razor, I'm just gonna go with skinwalker (which means the psychopath theory is right on the money).

Hmmm....That's true, but we're not talking about Times Square here...In fact, I recall hearing a statistic that about 95% of the U.S. is undeveloped land. While communication and surveillance technologies are ubiquitous, they're concentrated around human populations.

Plus, I never seem to have my phone handy when I really need it.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grinner View Post
    Hmmm....That's true, but we're not talking about Times Square here...In fact, I recall hearing a statistic that about 95% of the U.S. is undeveloped land. While communication and surveillance technologies are ubiquitous, they're concentrated around human populations.
    Aye. I remember scientists discovering a new species of a rather large lizard in caves or something. Now obviously that was a good while ago, but if I remember it then it happened within the last decade. Our oceans are even less explored than land, but that's not really applicable in this case. It's possible the world governments have a vested interest in keeping other sapient and/or supernatural things hidden from the public eye, since it would cause a huge uproar if one were to be discovered (I am not someone to believe every secondhand account, but I'm not one to dismiss them all as a series of coincidences).
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2014-02-16 at 07:03 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that **** is going into a D&D campaign. Sure hope none of my players look at this thread.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Terry for my irate Nightmare Alchemist Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Creed, you guys are awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Now for Creed to quote me and say something snarky. And the circle of life will be complete.

8. - Top - End - #38

HalfOrcPirate

Klondike Park, actually. If it's close, it's a great camping spot.
    Close-ish. 2 hours and 39 minute drive from a park just down the road from me (Ha Ha Tonka) to there. I'll check with a couple friends and see if they'd be willing to camp here sometime soon, only telling them your experience after setting up if nothing happens, at least they got scared and I got a giggle out of it.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbit View Post
    None of the pictures on the first page are even as bad as it gets, either. Elk with really bad mange can look like horned jackal pus demons. I'm sure deer can, too.

Have you ever heard a raccoon fight at night? You'd think that a pack of alien carnivores was ripping each other to pieces out in the darkness
    Oh, man, yeah.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Close-ish. 2 hours and 39 minute drive from a park just down the road from me (Ha Ha Tonka) to there. I'll check with a couple friends and see if they'd be willing to camp here sometime soon, only telling them your experience after setting up if nothing happens, at least they got scared and I got a giggle out of it.

Make sure to tell them that Skinwalkers are attracted to people speaking about it, they're attracted to it more than anything. It literally will draw any in the area towards you.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

And you didn't shoot at it ... why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    And you didn't shoot at it ... why?
    Because of a story I read on /k/ of Green Beret training group encountering this thing, and one guy ended up with a small tree through his leg.
    I was not in the mood to screw with something.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

Because of a story I read on /k/ of Green Beret training group encountering this thing, and one guy ended up with a small tree through his leg.
    I was not in the mood to screw with something.
    Before or after the fact?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Before or after the fact?
    Before. Good Tiamat, Before. There was no way I was shooting something I haven't seen before.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion
    Have you ever heard a raccoon fight at night? You'd think that a pack of alien carnivores was ripping each other to pieces out in the darkness, and it can unnerve you until you find out what it is.
    Or a coyote that's a lot closer than you realized. When you're alone under the stars at 1 am, that sound hits something primal inside you, and it's nowhere near so deeply buried as you wanted to believe.

Also, marmots fighting under the cabin floor in the Colorado Rockies. At 3 am. Ahh, memories.

Originally Posted by Grinner
    ...I recall hearing a statistic that about 95% of the U.S. is undeveloped land.
    I think you may have heard that backwards, or the source of the "statistic" wasn't that reliable. An overwhelming majority of the land in this country has been completely transformed from what it was before.

Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance
    There was no way I was shooting something I haven't seen before.
    This is probably a good policy all around.

That said, I might have missed it in your OP, but did you have a flashlight? That's the first thing I reach for, since eyeshine can tell you a lot about what's out there.

Last edited by Palanan; 2014-02-16 at 11:02 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    This is probably a good policy all around.

That said, I might have missed it in your OP, but did you have a flashlight? That's the first thing I reach for, since eyeshine can tell you a lot about what's out there.

I was in no way shape or form alerting it, as I thought it didn't notice me.
    If it had been something smaller, I would have hit it with a flashlight.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by ShadowFireLance
    I was in no way shape or form alerting it, as I thought it didn't notice me.
    I can understand why you'd want to keep a low profile. However, if I were in a tent, and it was a meter away from me, my first thought would be, "Busted!"

Originally Posted by Grinner
    ...I recall hearing a statistic that about 95% of the U.S. is undeveloped land.
    Following up on this, as one quick example, take a look at this page for a Landsat-7 mosaic of the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Scroll down to "available formats" and try out the 1000 x 1299 or a larger image.

Notice the small green rectangle with a dark spot in the middle? That's the Dismal Swamp NWR with Lake Drummond at its heart. Everything pale and fragmented around it is either urban, suburban or rural landscape.

Five hundred years ago, everything would've been the same color as the small green rectangle. Whoever made the 95% remark, that's probably not someone you want to rely on.

Last edited by Palanan; 2014-02-16 at 11:16 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Before. Good Tiamat, Before. There was no way I was shooting something I haven't seen before.
    So you read an account of an encounter with it or something like it before this incident?

Following up on this, as one quick example, take a look at this page for a Landsat-7 mosaic of the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Scroll down to "available formats" and try out the 1000 x 1299 or a larger image.

Notice the small green rectangle with a dark spot in the middle? That's the Dismal Swamp NWR with Lake Drummond at its heart. Everything pale and fragmented around it is either urban, suburban or rural landscape.

Five hundred years ago, everything would've been the same color as the small green rectangle. Whoever made the 95% remark, that's probably not someone you want to rely on.
    Doesn't Washington D.C. land right in the middle of that?

"Undeveloped" wasn't the exact term used, either. There something about "Rural". I think it included farmland?

Anyway, I'm not saying the vast majority of the U.S. is pristine wilderness. I'm just saying there's lots of room around here without too many eyes watching.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2014-02-16 at 11:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

HalfOrcPirate

Make sure to tell them that Skinwalkers are attracted to people speaking about it, they're attracted to it more than anything. It literally will draw any in the area towards you.
    You know you're just making this more fun for me right? I already get pleasure from scaring people, and you're adding fuel to the fire I tip my hat to you.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

You know you're just making this more fun for me right? I already get pleasure from scaring people, and you're adding fuel to the fire I tip my hat to you.
    I have a literal pile of Skinwalker stories for you to tell, PM me if interested.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

sounds like a moose. yes there are moose in missouri. they're rare to the point that various organizations have pushed to reintroduce them.

they're tall, 6 feet at the shoulder isn't uncommon. they're also notorious for not fearing humans, being aggressively territorial, and weighing as much as small cars.

silver/grey mottled coats are natural coloration for some species.
    Last edited by thubby; 2014-02-16 at 11:24 PM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post
    sounds like a moose. yes there are moose in missouri. they're rare to the point that various organizations have pushed to reintroduce them.

they're tall, 6 feet at the shoulder isn't uncommon. they're also notorious for not fearing humans, being aggressively territorial, and weighing as much as small cars.

The only two things lacking, Is pointy antlers and the walking. I've never seen anything in the world walk like that before.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thubby View Post

This changes things...By the way, ShadowFireLance, did you ever say whether it was quadrupedal or bipedal?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

But.. they do have pointy antlers?
    The walking could be a combination of moonlight and the shadows of tree leaves/branches.
    Last edited by Togath; 2014-02-16 at 11:36 PM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I think you said this place is about a two-hour drive from where you live?

Opportunity lost, then. First thing I'd do is look for tracks. Something as large as you describe would've left a decent trail.

26. - Top - End - #56

HalfOrcPirate

Opportunity lost, then. First thing I'd do is look for tracks. Something as large as you describe would've left a decent trail.
    From where I live, actually. I don't believe Shadow ever specified how far it was from his place of residence.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

This changes things...By the way, ShadowFireLance, did you ever say whether it was quadrupedal or bipedal?
    This thing was, without a doubt, Bipedal. I pride myself on my night vison, and I can 100% with Certianty state, This thing was bipedal.

It should Have. For the love of Tiamat, it should have.

But, I live about an hour away from it. I'm never going there again.
    I love Ceika <3

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

You should've gone for a picture once you were in the car. I can see not doing it while you're outside with it, but once your in the car, get one out the window before you speed off; the sound of the car is going to alert it basically as soon as the picture does.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

At eight feet tall, it does indeed sound like a moose, keep in mind it’s dark out, humans have particularly poor night vision, and you know, an imagination to enhance our own fears.

Cracked has some interesting insight into it

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

The only two things lacking, Is pointy antlers and the walking. I've never seen anything in the world walk like that before.
    moose do have pointy antlers. only the males and they shed them seasonally. iirc this is the time of year they'd be growing them.

the walking is literally the only part that would remotely suggest its not a moose. if, however, it was a quadruped and you simply could not see the other 2 legs (if they were physically behind the part of it you could see, for instance), it would look rather strange.
    Last edited by thubby; 2014-02-17 at 01:08 AM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever: