New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Transmutation Wizard, need build help.

Alright, so I'm building a transmutation wizard and I'm not quite sure what feats or spells I should get, but I'm going to try going for the Master Transmogrifist prestige class. My ability scores are really high, with my int at a 19 and dex at 18.

My race is Chitine, if that matters at all.

Thanks playground!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Transmutation Wizard, need build help.

Start with Spell Focus and Ability Enhancer and go from there.

Later, consider the War Weaver PrC if you really want your party to love you and your DM to hate you

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Master Transmogrifist may look attractive, but realistically its benefits are less than what you sacrifice to take it. Taking all the levels of it means you won't even get 9th level spells until the epic levels, and it doesn't give you the BAB or HP to do well in melee regardless of what forms you pick.

Chitine is one of the worse races to use for any type of primary spellcaster, because they have two racial hit dice and a +2 LA. So a 5th level Chitine Wizard only has a single level of Wizard, whereas a Human Wizard would have five levels of Wizard!

If you want to turn into a strong beastie and dive into melee, I would recommend making a more standard gish character, and don't use a race that has a level adjustment and especially avoid anything with racial hit dice.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    Master Transmogrifist may look attractive, but realistically its benefits are less than what you sacrifice to take it. Taking all the levels of it means you won't even get 9th level spells until the epic levels, and it doesn't give you the BAB or HP to do well in melee regardless of what forms you pick.

Chitine is one of the worse races to use for any type of primary spellcaster, because they have two racial hit dice and a +2 LA. So a 5th level Chitine Wizard only has a single level of Wizard, whereas a Human Wizard would have five levels of Wizard!

If you want to turn into a strong beastie and dive into melee, I would recommend making a more standard gish character, and don't use a race that has a level adjustment and especially avoid anything with racial hit dice.
    Well, in the game that I'm playing we're allowed a +2 LA for free and we're also taking the racial hitdie off because the race doesn't seem powerful enough to warrant that.

And, I hadn't realized that it would take me that long to get to 9th level spells...hrm..