New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVI

A 387

If the damage comes from an attack, yes.

2. - Top - End - #842
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q388.

I am 5 duskblade/5 abjurant champion/10 suel arch. What level spells can I cast as duskblade.? Second level spells at caster level 17 or up to 5th level spells at caster level 17? Basic argument is "does caster level = spell casting level?" DM (who is a 12 year vet player and literally a genius) says that it is the latter. I say its the former.

Edited for clarity and grammar. That one period just won't delete. Sorry.
    Last edited by omniangel; 2014-04-04 at 02:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 389

Is the +4 bonus to hit after missing (from Woodland Archer) cumulative?

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 389 No.

The bonus from this feat is subject to the basic stacking rule, and there is no exception noted.

5. - Top - End - #845
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by omniangel View Post
    Q388.

I am 5 duskblade/5 abjurant champion/10 suel arch. What level spells can I cast as duskblade.? Second level spells at caster level 17 or up to 5th level spells at caster level 17? Basic argument is "does caster level = spell casting level?" DM (who is a 12 year vet player and literally a genius) says that it is the latter. I say its the former.

Edited for clarity and grammar. That one period just won't delete. Sorry.
    A 388 With the Martial Arcanist ability from AbChamp you get increased caster level, NOT +1 existing arcane spellcasting class. A caster level increase is not the same as an increase in a caster class's level from which spells per day are derived. What he is probably confused about is the following statement from the SRD, which states equal, but NOT "SAME AS". Its like saying the price of gas is equal to the number of gallons in dollars, it does not mean that dollars = gallons.
    Quote Originally Posted by from SRD
    A spell’s power often depends on its caster level, which for most spellcasting characters is equal to your class level in the class you’re using to cast the spell.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Q340: What issue of Dragon Magazine is the Mystic Ranger variant found in, and what page?
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #847
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NoACWarrior
    A 385 Psionics-magic transparency does not effect identify spell specifically, but that does not mean identify doesn't automatically work on a psionicly crafted magic item. Psionic Identify has the ability (with whatever restrictions from the Psionic item) to identify the abilities of Psionic items. If an item is both a magic item, and crafted from psionics, then Identify will work as normal. If the item is only crafted from psionics (such as using only craft psicrown) then you must use Psionic Identify.
    I looked it up in the FAQ and it has the following to say:
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D FAQ v.3.5
    Can the psionic identify power (XPH 112) be used to identify magic items as well as psionic items? Does the identify spell identify psionic items?
    Assuming you use the psionics-magic transparency rule detailed on page 55 in the XPH, yes and yes.
    Last edited by SillySymphonies; 2014-04-04 at 04:28 PM.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 340

The Mystic Ranger is in Dragon # 336 on page 105.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 391:
    Can you pick all and/or any of the following three together at level one?:
    • Goliath Barbarian (Races of Stone)
    • Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion)
    • Dashing Step (DR349 p92)

Q 392:
    Does a spell cast as a swift action trigger an AoO? Does a spell cast as an immediate action trigger an AoO?
    Last edited by Zethex; 2014-04-04 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Wrong Q numbers
    Thanks to zimmerwald1915 for giving me the random on-the-fly pic he made as an Avatar. You're awsome zimmerwald1915!

10. - Top - End - #850

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SillySymphonies View Post
    I looked it up in the FAQ and it has the following to say:
    A385 additional with ruling from the FAQ
    Its an odd thing - the FAQ basically says something which isn't specifically supported by RAW. While I can't argue against the FAQ, I'll say that unless you accept the psionics-magic transparency rule, identify magic cannot identify NON-MAGICAL psionic crafted items. As the FAQ rulling goes, it superceeds lack of RAW support and thereby using psionics-magic transparency rule idenfity and psionic identify are interchangeable.

11. - Top - End - #851

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zethex View Post
    Q 391:
    Can you pick all and/or any of the following three together at level one?:
    • Goliath Barbarian (Races of Stone)
    • Spirit Lion Totem (Complete Champion)
    • Dashing Step (DR349 p92)

Q 392:
    Does a spell cast as a swift action trigger an AoO? Does a spell cast as an immediate action trigger an AoO?
    A 391 So long as the replacement / switch can occur due to the ability actually existing at that level, then yes. You cannot, however use two alternate class abilities which rely on swapping the SAME class skill. I don't have the dragon magazine in question but Goliath barbarian substitution level 1 (which replaces rage) would stack with Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 3 (which replaces fast movement at level 1). Make such a check at any substitution level to determine if you could substitute abilities.

A 392 Casting a spell as a Swift action or immediate action does not trigger AoOs.

Edit: next question is 393.
    Last edited by NoACWarrior; 2014-04-04 at 06:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

A387 clarification: Those with attack rolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Injury and Death
    If […] a single attack deals 50 points of damage or more and it doesn’t kill you outright, you must make a DC 15 Fortitude save. If this saving throw fails, you die regardless of your current hit points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizards.com Glossary: Attack
    Any of numerous actions intended to harm, disable, or neutralize an opponent. The outcome of an attack is determined by an attack roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

13. - Top - End - #853
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 393:

What are the (lesser) Drow starting and bonus languages and which book/page can I find them in?

Q 394:

If I pick an alternate class feature that changes more than one level, can I chose to only apply the levels I am interested in?

Example: Can I apply only the 3rd and 5th level changes of Fangshield Barbarian (Champions of Valor page 40)? Or maybe even *only* the 5th level one?
    Thanks to zimmerwald1915 for giving me the random on-the-fly pic he made as an Avatar. You're awsome zimmerwald1915!

14. - Top - End - #854

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zethex View Post
    Q 393:

What are the (lesser) Drow starting and bonus languages and which book/page can I find them in?

Q 394:

If I pick an alternate class feature that changes more than one level, can I chose to only apply the levels I am interested in?

Example: Can I apply only the 3rd and 5th level changes of Fangshield Barbarian (Champions of Valor page 40)? Or maybe even *only* the 5th level one?
    A 393 It was released as part of a web article and is part of the forgotten Realms campaign setting. Here is the link for lesser drow variant. According to the passage they use the language entry as if elves.

A 394 It depends on if it MUST be applied across multiple levels, or can be applied to one level. For example, the ACF in complete warrior for spellless rangers replaces all spell casting and gives you multiple abilities, but cannot be swapped in and out for each level to gain a spell or a particular ability. In your example, you could choose to only take the 5th level ACF so long as you have the improved uncanny dodge class feature available to swap out on your 5th barbarian level and you are a non-humanoid creature.

15. - Top - End - #855
    Titan in the Playground

Q. 395

If a caster cast swift etherealness on the previous round and readies to cast a spell at a target on the current round, does the spell go off, or is it negated due to the ethereal condition.

In this case, the ice knife spell, which has decent range, but reading at swift ethrealness and its referent spells, you can only see up to 60ft. (target is beyond that).

So would the ready action end the swift ethrealness and allow the acster to cast said spell on someone?

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXVI

Q 396

Additional damage dice (such as from a flaming weapon), are not multiplied on a critical. I assume that an Azer's bonus 1 point of fire damage on melee attacks would be?

17. - Top - End - #857
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 395

The combination of these spells would be:
    • The caster becomes ethereal until the end of their next turn. As such, they can only see into a 60' radius on the Material Plane.
    • The spellcaster uses Ready, with a trigger of a visible target.
    • If the target remains beyond 60', nothing happens.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q397
    Barbarian variant feature
    e.g. i will take Spell Sense (gain +x dodge bonus to AC vs. spells; lose trapsense +x; Complete Mage, p35), so i'll get it at 3rd or 1st lvl?
    Beware my incredibly noobish questions!

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

A396: Yes.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ettin in the Playground

A 397

At third level:
    Quote Originally Posted by CM p. 35
    Beginning at 3rd level, you gain a +1 dodge bonus to your AC against spells and spelllike abilities.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 397 3rd.
    SPELL SENSE

Level: 3rd.
    Benefit: Beginning at 3rd level, you gain a +1 dodge bonus to your AC against spells and spelllike abilities.
    Level 3, as it says (multiple times).
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2014-04-05 at 03:15 AM.

22. - Top - End - #862
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q398

When a PC slays a monster by inflicting excessive negative levels, do they control the Wight that's created? If not is there a way they can gain the 'authority' over the wight instead of relying on say Dominate Monster or something equally excessive?

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ettin in the Playground

A 398

No, that the created Wight is under anyone's control is a function of a Wight's Create Spawn ability, not of Negative Levels in general.

To control such a Wight you could also use Command Undead (This works as of effective cleric level 8) or any other ability that controls undead.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-04-05 at 04:02 AM.

24. - Top - End - #864
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q399
    Nonlethal damage + Power Attack
    CAn i deal nonlethal damage with PA?
    Beware my incredibly noobish questions!

25. - Top - End - #865
    Ettin in the Playground

A 399

Yes.

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ettin in the Playground

Q400
    Does falling damage risk triggering the "massive damage" DC15 save or die? The "massive damage" rules say attack, but I don't know if that means only actual attacks.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Titan in the Playground

A400: No. Barring some more specific rule, the general glossary definition should be used, which requires an attack roll.

28. - Top - End - #868

OldWizardGuy

Q401 Is there any way apart from contemplative or taking a divine class of a wizard learning the spell "spell resistance". It is only found on the Cleric list and the Magic (SRD), Meditation (ECS) and Protection (SRD) domains.

29. - Top - End - #869

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by cd4 View Post
    Q401 Is there any way apart from contemplative or taking a divine class of a wizard learning the spell "spell resistance". It is only found on the Cleric list and the Magic (SRD), Meditation (ECS) and Protection (SRD) domains.
    A 401 If you mean being able to prepare "spell resistance" then yes. Taking the Arcane Disciple feat from Complete Divine will give you the ability to either spontaneously cast 1 domain spell or prepare 1 domain spell per day from the list (still requiring you to learn it if you are a spontaneous caster who has spells learned per level). You still have a few restrictions - you can only prepare the domain spell if you have a high enough Wisdom Score, and the DC is based on your Wisdom Score. In order to take the Arcane Disciple feat you must choose a god which matches your exact alignment, then choose one of the domains available to that god. As follows are two of the domains complete with their "greyhawk" god listings, to adapt it to ECS isn't too hard, but subject to DM approval.

Magic domain

Protection domain

Edit: also, this feat doesn't give you the spells automatically to prepare, it just adds them to your class list. You will still need to scribe it in your spell book. You could either A) only scribe it as the bonus spells scribed into your spell book per level or B) find another wizard with arcane disciple to make you an arcane scroll of the spell you want to scribe.
    Last edited by NoACWarrior; 2014-04-05 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typos and adding more helpful information, also adding in clause for preparing

30. - Top - End - #870
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Q402
    Are there any feats similar to Steadfast Determination that affect Reflex or Will that make it so you don't auto fail on a natural 1?