New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadaverdale IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Cadaverdale IC

A thick mist hangs beneath the long dead trees, any sunlight that might have shown is obstructed by cloud cover. This was how it had always been in Cadaver Dale, but all the same most of the residents prefer to be underground, finding it more homely. Sounds of delight and merriment spill from The Maggot's Eye Tavern where occasionally citizens agree to join the city guard. At the moment however, new news has come.

"People of Cadaver Dale, there have been sightings of these so called Righteous Conquerors to the northwestern boundaries of our fine city. And what is it our so brave city watch going to do about it? Well?!"
    The armless zombie clumsily stamps a foot.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Cadaverdale IC

A small cough is heard from the crowd. Somehow, it seems to suggest everyone should listen. Everyone does.

The speaker is small, steel-scaled, slight of frame. A kobold. He is simply but elegantly dressed, and his bearing is ... well, regal. He begins, and his voice is surprisingly deep and warm, almost velvety.

"I'll stand for the Dale. We all will, no? For where else can we call home? As speaker for the Architect, I can say she'll fight to protect what she's helped to build. Those who feel their skill and strength suited to the task should retire to discuss how best to put those talents to use. My mistress offers her abode for a modicum of privacy, and any who would join and lend hand, claw, or spell to fight these warm-bloods is welcome."

His finishes with a grin. "Refreshments will be served at 10. I do not recommend arriving late."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The noise in the tavern fails to ebb, and few seem to notice. Over the years nothing has ever gotten far enough past you to wrack much damage to the town itself, and so the residents have grown complacent. With the old armless zombie ranting night in and out most have stopped noticing, content to wait until a threat is truly upon them. Six other crippled zombies however hoot approval.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Nonplussed, the kobold waits for those with a few less rotten skulls to respond.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+24)[32] for Diplomacy, FYI. Waiting on the other thinking undead, ya' know?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

From the crowd a ghoul approaches the kobold. The ghoul was obviously human in a former life. "I'll help against the flesh bags if it comes to a fight." As the ghoul continues his eyes glow brighter, "I'll take any chance to kill. Besides I'm getting tired of the rotten food they have in this place. Some fresh flesh would be good. My name is Dersloc."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

The kobold sighs, running a clawed hand over the crest on his serpentine head. He shakes the ghoul's claw, then his head. "You build them walls, a moat, wrangle for some illusory terrain and desecrated altars, a few peasants drown and they think they're going to be undead forever."

He looks up and grins, a sharp tooth showing over his bottom jaw. "Well met, Dersloc. Perhaps before anything as grand as what I'd suggested, we might indulge in a little reconnaissance. And perhaps a seat and a chat."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Urthiline walks towards the other defenders of the town: "I will also be helping to protect our great and majestic town from these rather annoying and intollerant fools. I hope that you will do us the favor of aiding us as well, these foes might be dangerous, but we will prevail, like we have always done."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    And another diplomacy: (1d20+32)[38]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

This time two of the aged zombies clap their remaining hands together. Meanwhile a plump old human woman, paula, approaches followed by two skeletons. "Hello there dearies, does anyone have any scrapes or broken bones for me to heal up? Old Dave here broke his humorous last week, and we all laughed and laughed until he decided he couldn't get any work done. Don't take broken bones lightly now."
    Dave, one of the skeletons behind her. stares on unintelligibly.
    Last edited by drack; 2014-03-03 at 09:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

An... unusual winged wight steps forward, a gray fog emanating from it, carrying with it the stench of the grave. A circlet on it's head seems to eat away at the light near it. The wight has deep red scales, but ghostly blue scales overlay the ones on it's arms and shoulders, following it's back into a draconian tail that sweeps the ground beneath it's feet. It's eyesockets radiate a deep blue, and a belt of chains of the same color form about it's waist, while wisps of blue light streak over the rags it wears over it's chest. Finally, it's hands are encased in painted black gauntlets while vague draconian claws hover over it's clenched fists. Strangely enough, none of these things emanate any real light, and it seems as though the creature could sink back into the shadows without trouble.

"Reconnaissance. Has a nice ring to it. I believe I, or rather, my gift from the Celestial realm may be of help here. Rebecca!"

Come to me, my pet.

An obviously dead angel, an identical circlet about her own head, flies down from the trees above, stepping behind the wight.

"We can scout out these Agents of Good without too much trouble. After that, we shall fly for the Dale as well."
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-03-03 at 06:27 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

"Excellent. Glad to see many in the Dale are well-preserved enough to see the sense in defense. How much time will you and your affiliate require? We can reconvene in a more private locale to discuss your findings. My mistress would gladly host."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

The wight smiles a sinister smile.

"We can be back as swiftly as is needed. Give us 1 day, and we can take whoever wishes to hassle their front with us as well."

Spoiler
    Show
    Rebecca has a fly speed of 100 ft, (Good) and suffers no penalties from hustling. Carrying Torke for speed, the two can cover 20 miles an hour without using the Run action. Should the situation warrant it, Torke can shift some Essentia to her, and she can fly at a speed of 130 ft. (Good) without dropping any defenses, adding an additional 6 miles an hour. If they really need to Run, they clock in at 52 miles an hour. Since they never need to rest that's a grand total of:
    • 480 miles hustling
    • 624 miles using Incarnum Speed
    • 1,248 miles if Running

per day.

Torke also has an Enveloping Pit, a Portable Hole 50 ft deep with which to carry volunteers.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

A large, figure moved from the back of the shambling dead to stand next to the other sentients. He was impressive in stature, with piercing blue eyes beneath a craggy brow and almost white hair pulled back into a warrior's tail. Clad in dark furs and carrying a large, jagged scythe, the man looked like Death ... reimagined as a Frostheim barbarian.

"I see there will be much to learn ... from you and the bodies of the slain. I shall stand with you when they come; I shall reap their wheat, and learn what secrets their souls keep. I am Erik, of the Spectral Hand, harvester of souls."

He nodded to the others, then simply stood, silently appraising his new allies. What mysteries might he unlock with such as these? Perhaps he would find the secret ...
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I won't be much use sneaking up on an army. I will stay here and help with preparations here until you get back."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

"Perhaps we should retire to more private quarters and assess our various strengths and weaknesses. Action is wise, but an ounce of prevention will save us a pound of inflict."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

"That sounds fine. Lead the way." Dersloc follows the kobold to begin preparations for whatever is heading their way.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

'Indeed, it is important to know one's enemy, but it is more important to know one's allies. Let us go, and let any who wish to take part in the defense of the Dale attend as well."

Torke and Rebecca follow the others to this mysterious "Mistress' " lair.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

The Steel Lady's chamber is modestly, but tastefully appointed. Lexi welcomes the motley crew of undead with courtesy, offering beverages to those who fancy refreshment (blood, clotted or fresh, though the recent troubles mean its livestock, not humanoid offerings). His mistress is not in attendance.

When all are seated at a heavy, dark wooden table - mahogany, those who know such things recognize - Lexi unrolls a map of the surrounding lands.

"As architect, my mistress has put in place some defenses against any oncoming force. Unfortunately, such defenses still require - forgive me - corpse-power to function. As we find ourselves with limited reserves of those willing to fight, it behooves us to take stock of our own abilities and find how best to make ourselves useful."

He waves a clawed hand at the map. "I, for instance, have some skill in stealth. I can be useful on the field scouting the enemy's position, learning what I can of their forces, and perhaps removing one or two key players once they are identified."

"My mistress, on the other hand, will not waste her efforts on such paltry concerns. She will engage our foe in the air above our city, making war in the way of dragons - with breath and claw and wing and spell. Her strength is best kept in reserve, lest it become the focus of concentrated attack."

"I will offer to scout the enemy, though it would be well to have support."

He finishes, cups a crystal goblet in his claws, and sips, awaiting the others.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Torke is courteous, and approves of the decoration. When offered blood, it declines.

"I am Torke Sventar, the Angel Slayer, General of Doom, and Render of Worlds, pick what title fancies you. I seem to collect them, and I'm sure there are other titles gathering dust if I tried to remember."

It's been getting harder and harder to remember as of late...

"I come before you a humbled undead, for once I commanded a plane-walking army of the dead, and led them in battle against the Heavens themselves. That was in another age, and upon return, I seem to have misplaced some of the power I wielded then. Still, I have some experience in command, and have used the souls of my former army to weave incarnum protections. I am skilled in personal combat, though I am not what you would call a traditional warrior.

Rebecca is another matter, she fought me in the Celestial Realm, and then when I reanimated her, I used her against the angels. She is skilled in stealth, but is far more useful in that she knows of the arcane and the divine, and I've used her as an effective scout before. She leaves something to be desired in that role though, so we should probably defer to this man's expertise. Perhaps she can support you as you asked sir. Her wings have grown swifter since her death."
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2014-03-10 at 07:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Dersloc accepts a goblet of fresh blood. He patiently listens to his new companions describing their respective strengths and follows suit.

"As I said my name is Dersloc. I am most comfortable leading a charge. I have had some military training which may prove useful, however most of that time was spent in a forge and little on an actual battlefield. After my rebirth is wjen my love for battle grew. I can create other ghouls. Also as a servant of Afflux I can heal or harm using negative energy. The Bloodspiller also requires certain rites which often are good for loosening tongues."
    Last edited by porthuous; 2014-03-11 at 10:10 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

"Dersloc, it sounds as if your talents would be best employed in seeing to our defensive capacities. Perhaps you could tour the battlements and see about ... staffing them."

The kobold nods to Sventar. "Your lady and I might be of use in scouting. Much appreciated."

He turns to Erik and Urthiline, red eyes expectant over the rim of his glass.
    Last edited by JanusJones; 2014-03-12 at 12:56 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Dersloc nods in agreement to Lexi's assesment of what should be done.

After he finishes Dersloc says, "Lexi I will need some information to be sure our defenses will withstand a siege. How many troops do they have? Are they standing army, militia or a mix of both? If they have regular armor they are army. If their armor appears to be mismatched or just anything they could get their hands on they are militia. How many of the soldiers are infantry, calvary and archers? Also how many casters do they have? How many clerics and paladins are with them? What siege engines do they have and how many of each? We should also try to get a small force, preferably incorporeals, behind them to cut off their supplies. If you can covertly capture a few soldiers, I can get more information from them." Dersloc's mouth contorts into an evil smile at the prospect of interrogating and torturing victims. "Just be sure they are low ranking so they won't be missed. If possible someone from the quarter master's tent would be good.

Does the Dale have any siege weapons to attack the breathers with? Do we have an armory? If so can the quarter master provide a list of weapons, armor and equipment? We should also have an official call to arms sent, not just the worm eaten zombies that cry siege shouting for bodies to defend against an unknown threat.

I should take my leave and inspect our defenses."

Dersloc waits a few minutes for any reply or suggestions the others may have about their fortifications. After everyone has finished Dersloc walks the walls looking for any weaknesses and anything they can use to their advantage.
    Last edited by porthuous; 2014-03-16 at 07:28 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The remainder of the seven crippled but awakened zombies work up the gumption to join the city's defense force.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

Lexi nods, listening intently, raising a claw at a few junctures to take short notes with a parchment and quill he draws from a side-table. When the martial ghoul has departed, he turns to Sventar.

"Shall we take a short trip, then? Your lady would be admirable transport. Could she also, as the gentlecorpse suggested, be able to carry an ... informant?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Lexi's wearing the crown, but uses his Mask of Lies to hide it so he doesn't get pinned with it on. He can, however, Str drain a peon pretty quickly, if needed, with 11 Str damage per breath - he just needs to sneak close enough.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

"Indeed. Rebecca has carried many in her time, and I am not too far from her, although my wings are not as swift as an angel's. I do however, have something for any additions beside the three of us."

Torke Sventar pulls a strip of brown leather cloth, it's Enveloping Pit from a belt about it's waist.

"I have discovered in my travels a Relic blessed with the powers of the Hells. I have used it for many purposes, but the most straightforward would be transporting those who need not breathe the air any longer. Let us not tarry any longer, lest we waste a valuable opportunity."

Once away from the others, Torke nods to Lexi.

"You elude my other sight Lexi. It is most strange, most undead are revealed to me by the power of my Weaves."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Those that scout
    Spoiler
    Show
    After several hours of walking through the mist enshrouded woods, a tall cathedral begins to take form with flickering shadows dancing across the humid white clouds. A ring of torches encircles the decaying building, revealing heavy moss growth along the heavy stone walls, but no sentries patrol the exterior.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Dersloc walks the entire length of the city wall making mental notes of any repairs or improvements that can be made. After inspecting the wall he meets with the the citizens that coild be mustered to help defend the city from the oncoming siege.

"You seven are the best this pitiful city has to defend itself from invasion. Some of you couldn't even carry a proper weapon. Have any of you worm eaten corpses even fought before? The most i coukd hope for from you is to serve as look outs. I want for of you to to report to the for towers the other three report to the north, west and south walls. I will be at the east wall until we can get more bodies to serve as lookouts. If you see anything suspicious report to me immediately. Do you maggots understand?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Torke Sventar looks to the kobold.

"I believe you said this was your area of expertise? I can have Rebecca do a quick check of the top for troops, but I am not the most talented sneak. Do you want to wait for her to see if there are any guards watching, or should I just wait here with her?"

Spoiler: Essentia
    Show
    Torke Sventar:
    Essentia Pool: 7
    Totemist Melds (3 shapes, 1 bind) (Meldshaper Level 3)
    Claws of the Wyrm (Shaped Arms) Essentia 0/Capacity 2
    Grows 2 claws that deal 1d6 base damage
    Dragon Tail (Shaped Feet) Essentia 0/Capacity 2
    Grants tail attack dealing 1d8 base damage, does not threaten
    Sphynx Claws (Bound Hands) Essentia 0/Capacity 2
    +1 Competence bonus to Str checks and Str based skill checks. Pounce with natural weapons

Incarnate Melds (5 shapes, 1 bind) (Meldshaper level 6)
    Spellward Shirt (Shaped Heart) Essentia 3/Capacity 3
    Grants Spell Resistance 17
    Necrocarnum Circlet (Bound Crown) Essentia 3/Capacity 3
    Blindsight 30 feet vs. Undead. Turn Resistance +3 to undead within 30 feet. Animate Zombie. +3 Essentia to Rebecca's Pool.
    Fellmist Robe (Shaped Soul) Essentia 0/Capacity 3
    10% Concealment vs. those not adjacent
    Vitality Belt (Shaped Waist) Essentia 1/Capacity 3
    +6 HP
    Mage's Spectacles (Shaped Brow) Essentia 0/Capacity 3
    +4 Insight to Use Magic Device, Spellcraft, and Decipher Script. May use these skills untrained

Rebecca:
    Essentia Pool: 6
    Incarnum Speed Essentia 3/Capacity 3
    +6 Insight to Initiative, +30 Insight to all Speeds
    Incarnum Defenses Essentia 3/Capacity 3
    +3 Insight to AC and Saves
    Soulbound Weapon (Slam) Essentia 0/Capacity 2
    No effect currently

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Zombie

"Sneak? I prefer ... covert operative." Lexi grins toothily, and disappears.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+40)[53]
    MS: (1d20+30)[39]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

As you approach, you notice that the torchlight is magical (celestial brilliance), and if you don't, you do the hard way.
    Spoiler
    Show

(1d6)[5] damage 120' radius

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Spellcraft
    Show
    Taking 10 for 25 lets me identify it, and thus Lexi shouldn't be affected by it, since I'd have stopped him.

"Hold Lexi. That's a special magical light spell. It will burn the flesh off of your undead bones. Do you have any manner of creating magical darkness? That should temporarily suspend the spell's effect. Otherwise, I think Rebecca will have to fly you over anyway.""